• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 15:22
CEST 21:22
KST 04:22
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War645.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 547 Temple Of Terror Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts
Brood War
General
Mineral Boosting (2 workers/patch) ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released Rollback Netcode in Brood War
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
The Link Between Gaming and …
TrAiDoS
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 12922 users

What Are You Reading 2015 - Page 3

Forum Index > Media & Entertainment
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 52 53 54 Next
Carnivorous Sheep
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
Baa?21248 Posts
January 09 2015 16:36 GMT
#41
I liked the game a lot too I wish it got more developed. But then again I just like stories about games : [

In any case I didn't hate-hate it, but I think I just got it hyped up a lot and it wasn't the mindblowing experience I kinda thought it would be. At any rate I'm still going to read the next two books in the near future when I get around to it.
TranslatorBaa!
dmnum
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
Brazil6910 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-01-10 01:22:29
January 10 2015 01:22 GMT
#42
Since The Bible is fucking huge and I'm somewhat tired of it, I decided to take a break and re-read The Metamorphosis with pen in hand. Turns out reading is a lot more fun when I can annotate the book as I go along. I'm also paying much more attention.
triangle
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States3803 Posts
January 10 2015 02:31 GMT
#43
[image loading]

Really enjoying it so far. 7th century England is fascinating because it bears almost no resemblance to what I thought of medieval England - we're still 4 centuries before William the Conqueror! Definitely one of the best historical fiction novels I've read in a while.
Also known as waterfall / w4terfall
ZeroChrome
Profile Joined September 2010
Canada1001 Posts
January 11 2015 01:23 GMT
#44
I just finished The Sound and the Fury and then read the plot overview on Wikipedia. Proud to say that I understood the majority of the novel xD. It took me ages to get through the first two incomprehensible chapters properly but I sat down today and read the second half of the book without putting it down. Gets a 4/5 from me.

Now I'm not sure which novel to read next, have The Brothers Karamazov, 1Q84, and Atlas Shrugged sitting on the shelf.
Forward
dmnum
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
Brazil6910 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-01-11 02:16:15
January 11 2015 02:08 GMT
#45
Atlas Shrugged is awful. Bad prose, one-dimensional characters, convoluted plot. Take all that, add Rand's abhorrent ideology and you have a steaming pile of a book. Just thinking about the time I lost reading it makes me angry.

I have not read 1Q84 but from what I've heard it's one of Murakami's lesser works.

I can vouch for TBK's quality, though. Dostoyevsky's prose is nothing out of this world but his psychological insight and ability to make "edgy" characters seem real and relatable is unparalleled in literature.
Shiragaku
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Hong Kong4308 Posts
January 11 2015 03:42 GMT
#46
1Q84 is good until you start getting towards the end. At that point, you just want to drop the book, and read the ending on Wikipedia.
oneofthem
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
Cayman Islands24199 Posts
January 11 2015 04:25 GMT
#47
shouldn't be a question between those 3. karamazov vs rand lol come on
We have fed the heart on fantasies, the heart's grown brutal from the fare, more substance in our enmities than in our love
ZeroChrome
Profile Joined September 2010
Canada1001 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-01-11 05:18:13
January 11 2015 04:44 GMT
#48
I just read the first 20 pages of Atlas Shrugged and put it back on the shelf, will probably give it back to the thrift store I bought it at. I can't remember ever being so turned off by a book. The writing is just agitating and you can tell after the first couple pages of dumb dialogue between two idiot characters that the book is shit.
Forward
dmnum
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
Brazil6910 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-01-11 05:17:30
January 11 2015 05:16 GMT
#49
I'm sorry that you had to endure through that, but I warned you.
bookwyrm
Profile Joined March 2014
United States722 Posts
January 11 2015 06:32 GMT
#50
Read that whole book once, I think i was 13
si hortum in bibliotheca habes, deerit nihil
babylon
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
8765 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-01-11 08:51:09
January 11 2015 08:50 GMT
#51
I actually thought the prose was extremely readable (certainly more readable and less awkward than the prose of the other books I was being assigned at the time).

Actually now that I think about it, it's still probably more readable than 75% of the academic writing I read now.
dmnum
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
Brazil6910 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-01-11 12:25:28
January 11 2015 12:12 GMT
#52
When I say bad, I don't mean unreadable, I mean stilted. Rand can't write even remotely close to what a human being would talk like. The Money speech for example, is full of clichés. And then there's things like these:

They kept their secret from the knowledge of others, not as a shameful guilt, but as a thing that was immaculately theirs, beyond anyone's right of debate or appraisal. She knew the general doctrine on sex, held by people in one form or another, the doctrine that sex was an ugly weakness of man's lower nature, to be condoned regretfully. She experienced an emotion of chastity that made her shrink not from the desires of her body, but from any contact with the minds who held this doctrine.

I mean, DOCTRINE ON SEX? Really? And this:

"What I feel for you is contempt. But it's nothing compared to the contempt I feel for myself."

Who the fuck talks like that? Characters on bad YA do. I could go on but I think I've made my point.

On the other hand Joyce's prose is dense but beautiful, even when I didn't understand what the fuck was going on in Ulysses I still enjoyed reading the book out loud.
LasTLiE
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States428 Posts
January 11 2015 14:33 GMT
#53
Last year I got about three quarters of the way through Atlas Shrugged before I had to put it down. The story itself was rather intriguing and what kept me going, but eventually Rand just became incredibly heavy handed with her ideologies that it was just unbearable.


I just started reading Moby Dick a few days ago. I haven't gotten very far in it yet, so I don't have much to say yet. I've been wanting to read this for a while and recently got a rather old (~1933) copy of it from a family member, so I figured now would be a good time to read it. Although it makes me a little nervous reading an old book, I always feel like if I'm not careful I'm going to tear out a page or something, heh.
"[21:01] kjwcj: i wanna put an aftermarket heatsink on your northbridge, lastlie" http://twitter.com/ThatGuyLastly
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
January 11 2015 14:35 GMT
#54
Moby Dick is one of the best books ever written, so enjoy that.

(And yes, that's a big category )
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
bookwyrm
Profile Joined March 2014
United States722 Posts
January 11 2015 17:59 GMT
#55
THE WHITE WHALE
si hortum in bibliotheca habes, deerit nihil
Nyxisto
Profile Joined August 2010
Germany6287 Posts
January 11 2015 20:51 GMT
#56
spoilers man

a question regarding the Hyperion books. I read the first one a while ago and really loved it, now I'm scared to read the other ones because I've heard they aren't as good. Any opinions?
Zergneedsfood
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United States10671 Posts
January 11 2015 21:04 GMT
#57
On January 06 2015 04:36 dmnum wrote:
Ah I'd start with Letter to His Father then. Once you read it Kafka's fiction becomes much more meaningful.

Thanks for the suggestion. Just finished reading it the other day. It was very good and incredibly relateable too.
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\ Make a contract with me and join TLADT | Onodera isn't actually a girl, she's just a doormat you walk over to get to the girl. - Numy 2015
CosmicSpiral
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States15275 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-01-11 21:08:51
January 11 2015 21:06 GMT
#58
On January 11 2015 11:08 dmnum wrote:
Atlas Shrugged is awful. Bad prose, one-dimensional characters, convoluted plot. Take all that, add Rand's abhorrent ideology and you have a steaming pile of a book. Just thinking about the time I lost reading it makes me angry.

I have not read 1Q84 but from what I've heard it's one of Murakami's lesser works.

I can vouch for TBK's quality, though. Dostoyevsky's prose is nothing out of this world but his psychological insight and ability to make "edgy" characters seem real and relatable is unparalleled in literature.


Hard to say that Dostoyevsky's prose isn't great when translating it into English is a real bitch to accomplish. At least we've progressed past the "fly at each other with our fists" period.

On January 11 2015 17:50 babylon wrote:
I actually thought the prose was extremely readable (certainly more readable and less awkward than the prose of the other books I was being assigned at the time).

Actually now that I think about it, it's still probably more readable than 75% of the academic writing I read now.


Academic English is the bane of our modern era, but still not an excuse. At best Rand is on Deborah Harkness' level.
WriterWovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
dmnum
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
Brazil6910 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-01-11 21:33:41
January 11 2015 21:32 GMT
#59
On January 12 2015 06:06 CosmicSpiral wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 11 2015 11:08 dmnum wrote:
Atlas Shrugged is awful. Bad prose, one-dimensional characters, convoluted plot. Take all that, add Rand's abhorrent ideology and you have a steaming pile of a book. Just thinking about the time I lost reading it makes me angry.

I have not read 1Q84 but from what I've heard it's one of Murakami's lesser works.

I can vouch for TBK's quality, though. Dostoyevsky's prose is nothing out of this world but his psychological insight and ability to make "edgy" characters seem real and relatable is unparalleled in literature.


Hard to say that Dostoyevsky's prose isn't great when translating it into English is a real bitch to accomplish. At least we've progressed past the "fly at each other with our fists" period.


I've read TBK and C&P in Portuguese, Notes From Underground, The Double, The Gambler and Demons in one english translation(P&V) and The Idiot in another english translation(David McDuff). None of them impressed me on a prose level, and from what I gather most Russians have the same opinion.

Don't get me wrong, though. Even though I didn't care much for The Double and C&P, The Idiot and TBK are up there with anything anyone has ever written.
Carnivorous Sheep
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
Baa?21248 Posts
January 11 2015 21:33 GMT
#60
On January 12 2015 05:51 Nyxisto wrote:
spoilers man

a question regarding the Hyperion books. I read the first one a while ago and really loved it, now I'm scared to read the other ones because I've heard they aren't as good. Any opinions?


Read Fall of Hyperion, skip Endymion for a couple of years. Reading Endymion right after Hyperion will just make you sad :[
TranslatorBaa!
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 52 53 54 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
Jungsu & Hasu #3
LiquipediaDiscussion
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
PRO & GOSU #3
LiquipediaDiscussion
Patches Events
00:00
Patch Clash S1 Special #1
RotterdaM1201
TKL 433
IndyStarCraft 282
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 1201
ByuN 455
TKL 433
IndyStarCraft 282
Reynor 249
EmSc Tv 4
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 24497
Calm 2401
Shuttle 367
Mini 172
White-Ra 146
firebathero 83
ZZZero.O 76
scan(afreeca) 24
soO 13
Sacsri 8
Dota 2
Gorgc11115
Counter-Strike
pashabiceps1287
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby3865
Liquid`Hasu548
MindelVK3
Other Games
summit1g4568
Liquid`RaSZi2217
fl0m1749
FrodaN1313
B2W.Neo723
olofmeister697
Khaldor466
Beastyqt387
Livibee183
crisheroes135
Mew2King64
Pyrionflax39
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick726
BasetradeTV236
StarCraft 2
angryscii 17
EmSc Tv 4
EmSc2Tv 4
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hinosc 29
• Adnapsc2 14
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Airneanach36
• Azhi_Dahaki20
• 80smullet 14
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie1264
• Shiphtur588
• WagamamaTV419
Upcoming Events
OSC
3h 38m
Replay Cast
3h 38m
OSC
16h 38m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 15h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Online Event
4 days
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
[ Show More ]
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.