• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 15:22
CEST 21:22
KST 04:22
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War645.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 547 Temple Of Terror Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts
Brood War
General
Mineral Boosting (2 workers/patch) ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released Rollback Netcode in Brood War
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
The Link Between Gaming and …
TrAiDoS
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 12922 users

What Are You Reading 2015 - Page 4

Forum Index > Media & Entertainment
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 52 53 54 Next
Philozovic
Profile Joined August 2012
France1677 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-01-11 23:06:46
January 11 2015 22:28 GMT
#61
I just read The hearth of Darkness, It was not as good as I hoped (expected ? which one here ?)

[image loading]

I'm starting Tocqueville : L'ancien régime et la révolution

[image loading]

In another subject, does anyone have a good post apocalyptic book to advise me ? I read The passage and World War Z last Year and really enjoyed the both of them
INnoVation is the absolute best | I wept for i knew his words to be true
lock203
Profile Joined March 2011
United States43 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-01-11 22:36:26
January 11 2015 22:34 GMT
#62
Just finished First Law trilogy by Joe Ambercrombie, needed a fix of fantasy after a reread of ASOIAF last year. Was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it. About half way through Half a King (just started it last night) and it has me wishing I had waited till all the books were finished since I loath waiting and it is pretty good so far.

Next up will be the three stand alone books he wrote set in the First Law world while I still have it fresh in my memory. If you're a fan GRRM I would recommend you give Joe a try.
Where do whores go?
dmnum
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
Brazil6910 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-01-11 22:54:06
January 11 2015 22:49 GMT
#63
On January 12 2015 07:28 Philozovic wrote:
I just read The hearth of Darkness, It was really not as good as I hoped (expected ? which one here ?)

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/heart-darkness-joseph-conrad-paperback-cover-art_1254.jpg

I'm starting Tocqueville : L'ancien régime et la révolution

http://classiques.uqac.ca/classiques/De_tocqueville_alexis/ancien_regime/ancien_regime_L25.gif

In another subject, does anyone have a good post apocalyptic book to advise me ? I read The passage and World War Z last Year and really enjoyed the both of them

I believe that either 'hoped' or 'expected' work in the context. But on a more general basis, as you hoped means as you wanted it to be, while as you expected means as you thought it would be. For example, I hope I get a million dollars tomorrow, but I don't expect it to happen.

On your request for a post apocalyptic recommendation: I like The Road by Cormac McCarthy.
Philozovic
Profile Joined August 2012
France1677 Posts
January 11 2015 23:06 GMT
#64
On January 12 2015 07:49 dmnum wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 12 2015 07:28 Philozovic wrote:
I just read The hearth of Darkness, It was really not as good as I hoped (expected ? which one here ?)

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/heart-darkness-joseph-conrad-paperback-cover-art_1254.jpg

I'm starting Tocqueville : L'ancien régime et la révolution

http://classiques.uqac.ca/classiques/De_tocqueville_alexis/ancien_regime/ancien_regime_L25.gif

In another subject, does anyone have a good post apocalyptic book to advise me ? I read The passage and World War Z last Year and really enjoyed the both of them

I believe that either 'hoped' or 'expected' work in the context. But on a more general basis, as you hoped means as you wanted it to be, while as you expected means as you thought it would be. For example, I hope I get a million dollars tomorrow, but I don't expect it to happen.

On your request for a post apocalyptic recommendation: I like The Road by Cormac McCarthy.


Oh I already read it thanks (and really really hated it). I wanted to used hoped but wasn't sure I could
INnoVation is the absolute best | I wept for i knew his words to be true
MtlGuitarist97
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
United States1539 Posts
January 11 2015 23:27 GMT
#65
On January 12 2015 07:49 dmnum wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 12 2015 07:28 Philozovic wrote:
I just read The hearth of Darkness, It was really not as good as I hoped (expected ? which one here ?)

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/heart-darkness-joseph-conrad-paperback-cover-art_1254.jpg

I'm starting Tocqueville : L'ancien régime et la révolution

http://classiques.uqac.ca/classiques/De_tocqueville_alexis/ancien_regime/ancien_regime_L25.gif

In another subject, does anyone have a good post apocalyptic book to advise me ? I read The passage and World War Z last Year and really enjoyed the both of them

I believe that either 'hoped' or 'expected' work in the context. But on a more general basis, as you hoped means as you wanted it to be, while as you expected means as you thought it would be. For example, I hope I get a million dollars tomorrow, but I don't expect it to happen.

On your request for a post apocalyptic recommendation: I like The Road by Cormac McCarthy.

I can second this recommendation, although with a caveat: I think that Cormac McCarthy's writing is a bit too sparse. I don't like the way he abdicated basically all grammar and punctuation, even though it did have a pretty profound effect on the novel.

I also did not like Heart of Darkness, but that's probably cause I had no idea what was going on...
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
January 11 2015 23:36 GMT
#66
Blood Meridian is 1000 times better than The Road.
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
dmnum
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
Brazil6910 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-01-11 23:41:33
January 11 2015 23:38 GMT
#67
On January 12 2015 08:36 farvacola wrote:
Blood Meridian is 1000 times better than The Road.

I think so too, but that doesn't mean The Road is even close to being bad.
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
January 11 2015 23:45 GMT
#68
"bad" certainly not, but I still maintain that an apocalypse needn't strip us of our grammatical tools and style!
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
dmnum
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
Brazil6910 Posts
January 11 2015 23:46 GMT
#69
Ha, fair enough.
CosmicSpiral
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States15275 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-01-12 01:01:50
January 12 2015 00:59 GMT
#70
On January 12 2015 08:36 farvacola wrote:
Blood Meridian is 1000 times better than The Road.


By comparison, The Orchard Keeper is 10 times better than Blood Meridian. :D

On January 12 2015 06:32 dmnum wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 12 2015 06:06 CosmicSpiral wrote:
On January 11 2015 11:08 dmnum wrote:
Atlas Shrugged is awful. Bad prose, one-dimensional characters, convoluted plot. Take all that, add Rand's abhorrent ideology and you have a steaming pile of a book. Just thinking about the time I lost reading it makes me angry.

I have not read 1Q84 but from what I've heard it's one of Murakami's lesser works.

I can vouch for TBK's quality, though. Dostoyevsky's prose is nothing out of this world but his psychological insight and ability to make "edgy" characters seem real and relatable is unparalleled in literature.


Hard to say that Dostoyevsky's prose isn't great when translating it into English is a real bitch to accomplish. At least we've progressed past the "fly at each other with our fists" period.


I've read TBK and C&P in Portuguese, Notes From Underground, The Double, The Gambler and Demons in one english translation(P&V) and The Idiot in another english translation(David McDuff). None of them impressed me on a prose level, and from what I gather most Russians have the same opinion.

Don't get me wrong, though. Even though I didn't care much for The Double and C&P, The Idiot and TBK are up there with anything anyone has ever written.


I've only read English translations of his work, but most of them seem to suffer from being overly stilted. There are also odd turns of phrase that just sound plain weird.
WriterWovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-01-12 01:09:54
January 12 2015 01:07 GMT
#71
It's certainly a good book as well, but I'm not even sure I'd call it a Cormac McCarthy novel, if that makes any sense. It's more like a literary display of McCarthy's last (or "only" rather lol) faithful flirtation with Falkner's Southern Gothic motif before he decided to flip it from historical (or at least contemporary) to futuristic. I think Blood Meridian is McCarthy's "meatiest" work, and I'm something of a carnivore myself.
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
LasTLiE
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States428 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-01-12 01:37:00
January 12 2015 01:36 GMT
#72
On January 12 2015 07:28 Philozovic wrote:
I just read The hearth of Darkness, It was not as good as I hoped (expected ? which one here ?)

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/heart-darkness-joseph-conrad-paperback-cover-art_1254.jpg

I'm starting Tocqueville : L'ancien régime et la révolution

http://classiques.uqac.ca/classiques/De_tocqueville_alexis/ancien_regime/ancien_regime_L25.gif

In another subject, does anyone have a good post apocalyptic book to advise me ? I read The passage and World War Z last Year and really enjoyed the both of them


I Am Legend by Richard Matheson is a good one. There's another book that I can't recall the title or author of but I know I have around here somewhere. It's about a journalist who travels across America after a nuclear war happened that devastated pretty much the entire world. It was really good, I'll try and find that.
"[21:01] kjwcj: i wanna put an aftermarket heatsink on your northbridge, lastlie" http://twitter.com/ThatGuyLastly
babylon
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
8765 Posts
January 12 2015 06:10 GMT
#73
Doesn't McCarthy strip at least one grammar tenant in most of his books? (I at least recall the lack of double-quotes in All the Pretty Horses.) I thought The Road was a bit excessive at first, but to be honest, I don't think the lack of punctuation made it any harder to read. It felt gimmicky, but I find most of his stylistic "quirks" to be fairly gimmicky to the same degree. It just came together all at once in the one book.

I really liked Heart of Darkness. It felt like a black hole of despair and words, which was perfect considering the content. (Same with Crime and Punishment, which made me feel paranoid and anxious while I was reading it.)
Ingebrigtsen
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Norway343 Posts
January 12 2015 06:25 GMT
#74
Might finally read the last Dark Tower book by Stephen King after having it spoiled when I was about 1/3 through, that was like 4-5 years ago
"These animals should be rewarded for not being people... I hate people"
Philozovic
Profile Joined August 2012
France1677 Posts
January 12 2015 08:15 GMT
#75
On January 12 2015 15:10 babylon wrote:
Doesn't McCarthy strip at least one grammar tenant in most of his books? (I at least recall the lack of double-quotes in All the Pretty Horses.) I thought The Road was a bit excessive at first, but to be honest, I don't think the lack of punctuation made it any harder to read. It felt gimmicky, but I find most of his stylistic "quirks" to be fairly gimmicky to the same degree. It just came together all at once in the one book.

I really liked Heart of Darkness. It felt like a black hole of despair and words, which was perfect considering the content. (Same with Crime and Punishment, which made me feel paranoid and anxious while I was reading it.)


Oh no I liked it, I was just hopping it will be better (not as good as crime and punishment though) and it was a little bit underwhelming
INnoVation is the absolute best | I wept for i knew his words to be true
dmnum
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
Brazil6910 Posts
January 12 2015 09:53 GMT
#76
On January 12 2015 09:59 CosmicSpiral wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 12 2015 06:32 dmnum wrote:
On January 12 2015 06:06 CosmicSpiral wrote:
On January 11 2015 11:08 dmnum wrote:
Atlas Shrugged is awful. Bad prose, one-dimensional characters, convoluted plot. Take all that, add Rand's abhorrent ideology and you have a steaming pile of a book. Just thinking about the time I lost reading it makes me angry.

I have not read 1Q84 but from what I've heard it's one of Murakami's lesser works.

I can vouch for TBK's quality, though. Dostoyevsky's prose is nothing out of this world but his psychological insight and ability to make "edgy" characters seem real and relatable is unparalleled in literature.


Hard to say that Dostoyevsky's prose isn't great when translating it into English is a real bitch to accomplish. At least we've progressed past the "fly at each other with our fists" period.


I've read TBK and C&P in Portuguese, Notes From Underground, The Double, The Gambler and Demons in one english translation(P&V) and The Idiot in another english translation(David McDuff). None of them impressed me on a prose level, and from what I gather most Russians have the same opinion.

Don't get me wrong, though. Even though I didn't care much for The Double and C&P, The Idiot and TBK are up there with anything anyone has ever written.


I've only read English translations of his work, but most of them seem to suffer from being overly stilted. There are also odd turns of phrase that just sound plain weird.


That's the thing though, at times he reads like that in Portuguese too.
lungic
Profile Joined January 2012
Sweden123 Posts
January 13 2015 08:16 GMT
#77
So I read this book:

[image loading]

Never read anything like it. It's not a childrens book, but not really an adult book either. It's like someone had too much creativity and needed a notebook to dump the data to.
MrForm
Profile Joined January 2015
1 Post
January 13 2015 15:04 GMT
#78
[image loading]

Can't put it down...
sperY
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
Serbia444 Posts
January 13 2015 15:06 GMT
#79
[image loading]
Second book in the series. So far so good. Its kind of refreshing reading fantasy series that doesn't consist of 10 books and million pages.
PhoenixVoid
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
Canada32755 Posts
January 13 2015 15:31 GMT
#80
Finished reading Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson fairly recently near the end of 2014 and been going on to the Millennium trilogy by Stieg Larsson. Currently reading The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, the final book in the trilogy. Nothing much to say as I'm only about 40% in but it continues Larsson's good if not cliche thriller/mystery writing with a critique of Swedish society and the role of women. So far not a bad read but a reviewer calling it the "trilogy of the millennium" is certainly hyperbole.
I'm afraid of demented knife-wielding escaped lunatic libertarian zombie mutants
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 52 53 54 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
Jungsu & Hasu #3
LiquipediaDiscussion
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
PRO & GOSU #3
LiquipediaDiscussion
Patches Events
00:00
Patch Clash S1 Special #1
RotterdaM1201
TKL 433
IndyStarCraft 282
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 1201
ByuN 455
TKL 433
IndyStarCraft 282
Reynor 249
EmSc Tv 4
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 24497
Calm 2401
Shuttle 367
Mini 172
White-Ra 146
firebathero 83
ZZZero.O 76
scan(afreeca) 24
soO 13
Sacsri 8
Dota 2
Gorgc11115
Counter-Strike
pashabiceps1287
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby3865
Liquid`Hasu548
MindelVK3
Other Games
summit1g4568
Liquid`RaSZi2217
fl0m1749
FrodaN1313
B2W.Neo723
olofmeister697
Khaldor466
Beastyqt387
Livibee183
crisheroes135
Mew2King64
Pyrionflax39
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick726
BasetradeTV236
StarCraft 2
angryscii 17
EmSc Tv 4
EmSc2Tv 4
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hinosc 29
• Adnapsc2 14
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Airneanach36
• Azhi_Dahaki20
• 80smullet 14
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie1264
• Shiphtur588
• WagamamaTV419
Upcoming Events
OSC
3h 38m
Replay Cast
3h 38m
OSC
16h 38m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 15h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Online Event
4 days
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
[ Show More ]
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.