• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 18:09
CEST 00:09
KST 07:09
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Recent patches and the Future StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6582 users

What Are You Reading 2013 - Page 33

Forum Index > Media & Entertainment
Post a Reply
Prev 1 31 32 33 34 35 165 Next
HardCorey
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States709 Posts
February 17 2013 07:37 GMT
#641
Currently Reading:



[image loading]

Really been enjoying the whole series. About 800 pages into this one right now. Not a ton happens in this book and we are dealing with a lot of new characters but its exciting seeing things from different perspectives. Cersei's story is getting really dark.


Reading Next:


[image loading]

I cant get enough of this series right now. I need to finish everything there is.


I've read most of Asimov's books and short stories. Somehow missed these 3

The Currents of Space

The Stars, Like Dust

A Pebble in the Sky

So I'll be reading those 3 next. I should be ready for some cool sci-fi after having read only George R.R.Martin fantasy for so long
Don't Worry, Be Happy.
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
February 17 2013 07:40 GMT
#642
Those Asimov books will seem old school. Still nice tho. Have you read all the connecting novels that bridge the empire to robots and to foundation?

Dance with Dragons is better than Feast.
shikata ga nai
HardCorey
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States709 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-17 07:55:45
February 17 2013 07:53 GMT
#643
On February 17 2013 16:40 sam!zdat wrote:
Those Asimov books will seem old school. Still nice tho. Have you read all the connecting novels that bridge the empire to robots and to foundation?

Dance with Dragons is better than Feast.



I really enjoy Asimov's style especially his short stories like I, Robot and the original Foundation where the stories are almost independent but have some overarching structure.

As far as the empire novels im not sure. I think ive read all the robot books and ive read all the foundation books maybe minus one of the prequels.



EDIT:
http://www3.sympatico.ca/n.rieck/links/cool_sci_fi.html#asimov-suggested-reading-order

I just checked and I havent read 3 through 8 of this list.
Don't Worry, Be Happy.
Xeteh
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States589 Posts
February 17 2013 07:57 GMT
#644
The Daylight War by Peter V. Brett

I read the first two books... I liked the first a lot and had to force my way through the second (I seem to be in the minority there) but I want to see how things continue. Hopefully I like this book more than the second. The world is very cool and I like some of the characters but there was a lot in the second book that just felt forced to me, I had a hard time swallowing some of it.

Next? Likely something from Joe Abercrombie. Probably the First Law trilogy.
Wesso
Profile Joined August 2010
Netherlands1245 Posts
February 17 2013 08:10 GMT
#645
Just finished:

[image loading]

the sequel to Heroes Die and I will read the rest of the series because these books are great. They have the most disturbing scenes I've ever read (graphic violence, torture) but it doesn't feel forced or put in for the sake of shock value. Characters are deep and there are no good/bad guys, everyone has their own motivations. The first book is action-packed and awesome. The second book is about 300 pages longer and is slower, the writer puts in more philosophy and the plot is more complicated. The philosophy actually deepens the characters instead of feeling like a lecture, but I must say that the plot could probably be a bit less complicated without losing value.
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
February 17 2013 08:12 GMT
#646
On February 17 2013 16:53 HardCorey wrote:

http://www3.sympatico.ca/n.rieck/links/cool_sci_fi.html#asimov-suggested-reading-order

I just checked and I havent read 3 through 8 of this list.


start with naked sun then and go from there
shikata ga nai
aZealot
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
New Zealand5447 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-17 08:51:18
February 17 2013 08:33 GMT
#647
On February 17 2013 14:02 sam!zdat wrote:
I recommend starting with this excellent book by Hayek:

http://www.amazon.com/Capital-Critique-Political-Economy-Classics/dp/0140445684

@froggy, yeah, I feel you man. Luckily, I have a +5 ticonderoga pencil of obscurantism piercing


Thanks for that helpful suggestion -_- (although I suppose I should be grateful its not The Communist Manifesto).

Might I suggest this, instead? Quite possibly a little bit better.

http://www.amazon.com/Socialism-Sociological-Ludwig-von-Mises/dp/1469947153/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1361085341&sr=1-4&keywords=ludwig von mises

I did not like Road to Serfdom much and am a little bemused by the way, especially recently, it seems to have been received in the USA. But I found the Use of Knowledge in Society telling. After a little research, I think I'll start with Individualism and Economic Order and a couple more of his essays before engaging with some of his books.
KT best KT ~ 2014
mengsk83
Profile Joined April 2010
Germany519 Posts
February 17 2013 08:43 GMT
#648
Just now reading
[image loading]

The clarity of thought and wisdom of this man is truly inspiring.
aZealot
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
New Zealand5447 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-17 08:46:20
February 17 2013 08:44 GMT
#649
On February 17 2013 16:53 HardCorey wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 17 2013 16:40 sam!zdat wrote:
Those Asimov books will seem old school. Still nice tho. Have you read all the connecting novels that bridge the empire to robots and to foundation?

Dance with Dragons is better than Feast.



I really enjoy Asimov's style especially his short stories like I, Robot and the original Foundation where the stories are almost independent but have some overarching structure.

As far as the empire novels im not sure. I think ive read all the robot books and ive read all the foundation books maybe minus one of the prequels.



EDIT:
http://www3.sympatico.ca/n.rieck/links/cool_sci_fi.html#asimov-suggested-reading-order

I just checked and I havent read 3 through 8 of this list.


Thanks for that list. The only ones I have not read are The Currents of Space and The Stars, Like Dust. As far as the Foundation novels go, I much preferred 1 - 3. The later novels, at least to me, seem to represent a change in Asimov's thinking:+ Show Spoiler +
For example, the whole notion of Gaia/Galaxia seems counter to the chaos of individualism he praised in a short story he wrote in the 1950s (the name of which I can't recall). I can only assume that he became disillusioned as he got older.
KT best KT ~ 2014
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-17 08:59:38
February 17 2013 08:58 GMT
#650
disillusioned! it is a major progress in his thinking! the early foundation novels are so horribly naive!

edit: the eighties are not the fifties man
shikata ga nai
Shiragaku
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Hong Kong4308 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-17 09:16:03
February 17 2013 09:14 GMT
#651
Going through this book again.
[image loading]
This time, I should be able to properly understand Heidegger. Not being able to fully grasp him is unbelievably frustrating. From what I understand, this is perhaps the best existential work that does not dissolve into teenage anxiety stricken bullshit
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-17 09:25:25
February 17 2013 09:25 GMT
#652
lol that's why you're all angsty

wtf you reading heidegger son

go read somehting fun
shikata ga nai
Shiragaku
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Hong Kong4308 Posts
February 17 2013 09:53 GMT
#653
On February 17 2013 18:25 sam!zdat wrote:
lol that's why you're all angsty

wtf you reading heidegger son

go read somehting fun


I am actually using this book as my last chance to see if I am capable of philosophy or not.
Dirkzor
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
Denmark1944 Posts
February 17 2013 10:35 GMT
#654
On February 17 2013 16:57 Xeteh wrote:
The Daylight War by Peter V. Brett

I read the first two books... I liked the first a lot and had to force my way through the second (I seem to be in the minority there) but I want to see how things continue. Hopefully I like this book more than the second. The world is very cool and I like some of the characters but there was a lot in the second book that just felt forced to me, I had a hard time swallowing some of it.

Next? Likely something from Joe Abercrombie. Probably the First Law trilogy.


I agree with you. The first book I enjoyed a lot but the second wasn't as good. It was still a good read but only because you had the first book in mind. I had missed that the 3rd was out so thanks for that =) Have to see how it ends...

"HOW THE FUCK ARE YOU ON TOP AGAIN???? HOW DO YOU KEEP DOING THIS????" -Julmust (also, thats what she said)
123Gurke
Profile Joined January 2005
France154 Posts
February 17 2013 10:41 GMT
#655
On February 17 2013 06:49 sam!zdat wrote:
I've read a few Chandler stories, it's pretty cool, I should get back to it. It's not exactly lyrical however. But he's a big influence on Gibson so I suppose I should read more of him.


You should definitely read all of Chandler and all of Gibson. Both have not written too much and nearly all of it is great. Although I must admit that the end of Gibson's last book was definitely a letdown.
"No," she said, "but sometimes I like to watch."
lungic
Profile Joined January 2012
Sweden123 Posts
February 17 2013 12:06 GMT
#656
On February 17 2013 16:04 Cambium wrote:
I heard Endymion and Rise of Endymion aren't nearly as good the Hyperion books, so I think I'm going to pass. I read the summaries of the other books, and the stories didn't seem too interesting. I'm glad the first two books covered most of the stories with regards to the AIs, Hegemony and Ousters.


Normally I wouldn't recommend that, but in this case I think it can be excused, and even be a good idea. Perhaps try Ilium instead later on? It's not as "deep" as Hyperion, but it has a better pacing. Simmons got talent, and it's easily to write him off from the point you now leave.
lungic
Profile Joined January 2012
Sweden123 Posts
February 17 2013 12:12 GMT
#657
I just finished reading:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mistakes_were_made_(but_not_by_me)

[image loading]

Which was quite interesting read for anyone into pop psychology, or anyone wondering why people are such assholes on the SC2 ladder. Basically we are hard wired to slate over our own faults, and enhance other peoples to make us feel better.

Next:
Alastair Reynolds - Revelation Space.
or
Kokoro : Natsume Sōseki (english translation).
Cambium
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
United States16368 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-17 12:18:00
February 17 2013 12:14 GMT
#658
On February 17 2013 21:06 lungic wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 17 2013 16:04 Cambium wrote:
I heard Endymion and Rise of Endymion aren't nearly as good the Hyperion books, so I think I'm going to pass. I read the summaries of the other books, and the stories didn't seem too interesting. I'm glad the first two books covered most of the stories with regards to the AIs, Hegemony and Ousters.


Normally I wouldn't recommend that, but in this case I think it can be excused, and even be a good idea. Perhaps try Ilium instead later on? It's not as "deep" as Hyperion, but it has a better pacing. Simmons got talent, and it's easily to write him off from the point you now leave.


Thanks for the recommendation. I'll add that to my to-read list (it's a huge list though).

Just read the wiki page on Ilium and Olympos, I think I'll read The Iliad & The Odyssey before
When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.
123Gurke
Profile Joined January 2005
France154 Posts
February 17 2013 12:52 GMT
#659
On February 17 2013 21:14 Cambium wrote:
Just read the wiki page on Ilium and Olympos, I think I'll read The Iliad & The Odyssey before


You should definitely start with the Iliad. It is by far the more interesting book.

I do not know about the quality and readability of English translations (assuming you will not read the original ancient Greek), but it is probably worth it to invest some research into the characteristics of different translations. Those texts are not very accessible for today's reader, so a good translation can make a huge difference. When in doubt I would opt for the more readable translation over ones that follow the original more strictly. It will be a tough read anyway (although it is definitely worth it), but you should not make your life harder than necessary. You can still read stricter translations later for the parts you really like.
"No," she said, "but sometimes I like to watch."
paralleluniverse
Profile Joined July 2010
4065 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-17 15:10:02
February 17 2013 14:58 GMT
#660
Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman.
[image loading]

I've wanted to read this book for quite some time. Finally got around to reading it.

A very interesting discussion of human irrationality, cognitive biases, and behavioral economics.

I've been able to recognize many of these biases in forum posters. For example, the remembering self is different from the experiencing self. The remembering self focuses on the peak of the experience and the end of the experience, this explains the never ending demand for Blizzard to go back to WoW classic. People get nostalgia, remember the good times, and fail to remember that a lot of WoW classic was really really bad for a very very long time.
Prev 1 31 32 33 34 35 165 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 11h 51m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SpeCial 116
StarCraft: Brood War
White-Ra 172
firebathero 89
910 40
NaDa 31
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm87
Counter-Strike
Fnx 762
Super Smash Bros
C9.Mang0180
PPMD49
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby9404
Liquid`Hasu1676
Trikslyr87
Other Games
summit1g7267
Liquid`RaSZi6093
shahzam554
JimRising 266
B2W.Neo202
Pyrionflax180
KnowMe121
ArmadaUGS98
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream304
Other Games
BasetradeTV225
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 73
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Eskiya23 34
• FirePhoenix5
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• TFBlade1072
Other Games
• imaqtpie1128
• Shiphtur216
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
11h 51m
Afreeca Starleague
11h 51m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 1h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 12h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Disclosure: This page contains affiliate marketing links that support TLnet.

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.