• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:40
CEST 14:40
KST 21:40
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon103
StarCraft 2
General
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8422 users

What Are You Reading 2013 - Page 31

Forum Index > Media & Entertainment
Post a Reply
Prev 1 29 30 31 32 33 165 Next
Slakter
Profile Joined January 2010
Sweden1947 Posts
February 12 2013 04:34 GMT
#601
I'm reading "Rebel Cities: From the Right to the City to the Urban Revolution" which is in many ways a marxist social commentary by David Harvey. An incredible read, even if you might not call yourself a socialist.
Protoss, can't live with em', can't kill em'.
larryselina
Profile Joined February 2013
Australia9 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-08 02:41:21
February 12 2013 04:48 GMT
#602
--- Nuked ---
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
February 12 2013 05:33 GMT
#603
yay! David harvey!!
shikata ga nai
aZealot
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
New Zealand5447 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-12 08:14:07
February 12 2013 08:13 GMT
#604
On February 11 2013 17:26 Dirkzor wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 09 2013 12:48 aZealot wrote:
On February 09 2013 06:10 Dirkzor wrote:
Just finished reading this one:

[image loading]

It was really good. It's like a chrildrens book written for adults...

Anyone seen the BBC series? Is it good?


I really enjoyed that book, a real good read. Coincidentally, I've been perusing some of Gaiman's old work on Sandman recently too (I used to collect the series). I had a sudden hankering for Sandman #74. I read it again, and went from there.

Currently halfway through Zamyatin's We and I'm enjoying it very much.


I read American Gods just before christmas and my GF have the first 3 episodes of Sandman (the collected edition. So thats like 36 episodes or something) and I've read the first 2. I really like Gaiman's style. I have 2 more of his books but I dislike reading the same auther back to back (unless its a series of course) so I'm waiting to get into to those before I've finished something else...


I tried American Gods but was not able to finish it. I do plan on reading Stardust soon, though.

The first 3 episodes? You mean the collected editions? That should take you to Seasons of Mist IIRC. All of the extended story issues are great reading. But, I have a soft spot for some of the stand alone issues to be found in the Fables and Reflections and World's End collected editions. Sandman #74, however, the penultimate issue of The Wake series is one of the finest short stories I have ever read (for both the story and the artwork).
KT best KT ~ 2014
lungic
Profile Joined January 2012
Sweden123 Posts
February 12 2013 08:36 GMT
#605
On February 12 2013 08:57 sam!zdat wrote:
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress surely deserves a mention here...


Without offending anyone, what was it that you liked about that book? I'm curious because I've seen it all over the net that people seems to like it, but to me it was so so. Perhaps too conflicting with my political views at the time or something, I don't know. I liked Starship Troopers a lot better (which I read after mistress).
Dirkzor
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
Denmark1944 Posts
February 12 2013 09:48 GMT
#606
On February 12 2013 17:13 aZealot wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 11 2013 17:26 Dirkzor wrote:
On February 09 2013 12:48 aZealot wrote:
On February 09 2013 06:10 Dirkzor wrote:
Just finished reading this one:

[image loading]

It was really good. It's like a chrildrens book written for adults...

Anyone seen the BBC series? Is it good?


I really enjoyed that book, a real good read. Coincidentally, I've been perusing some of Gaiman's old work on Sandman recently too (I used to collect the series). I had a sudden hankering for Sandman #74. I read it again, and went from there.

Currently halfway through Zamyatin's We and I'm enjoying it very much.


I read American Gods just before christmas and my GF have the first 3 episodes of Sandman (the collected edition. So thats like 36 episodes or something) and I've read the first 2. I really like Gaiman's style. I have 2 more of his books but I dislike reading the same auther back to back (unless its a series of course) so I'm waiting to get into to those before I've finished something else...


I tried American Gods but was not able to finish it. I do plan on reading Stardust soon, though.

The first 3 episodes? You mean the collected editions? That should take you to Seasons of Mist IIRC. All of the extended story issues are great reading. But, I have a soft spot for some of the stand alone issues to be found in the Fables and Reflections and World's End collected editions. Sandman #74, however, the penultimate issue of The Wake series is one of the finest short stories I have ever read (for both the story and the artwork).


She have the Sandman Library (Preludes and Nocturnes, The Doll's House, Dream Country) See here for info. I might buy the rest of the issues later on...

I liked Neverwhere a whole lot more than American Gods. It is not that American Gods was bad at all, it was just harder to follow and bit more on the weird side. At times reading AG I was really into it and wanted to know more and other times I was just confused. Neverwhere had a better flow for me.

I actually did not know that Gaiman had written Stardust. The movie wasn't good and I still remember the story quite well so I might hold of reading that one until I forget the movie. I don't want an image of semi-gay Robert Di Niro while reading it =)
"HOW THE FUCK ARE YOU ON TOP AGAIN???? HOW DO YOU KEEP DOING THIS????" -Julmust (also, thats what she said)
lungic
Profile Joined January 2012
Sweden123 Posts
February 12 2013 10:13 GMT
#607
On February 12 2013 18:48 Dirkzor wrote:
I actually did not know that Gaiman had written Stardust. The movie wasn't good and I still remember the story quite well so I might hold of reading that one until I forget the movie. I don't want an image of semi-gay Robert Di Niro while reading it =)


I agree, as a movie it was so so, but, I found that it actually captured Gaiman's dreamlike atmosphere rather well. It's cruel , dirty, fantastic and beautiful at the same time. I find that Gaiman is hard to appreciate while reading at times, but as one remembers his books afterwards they seem to get better. I had a really hard time getting through American Gods, but I was blown away by the ending. Anansi boys were a slightly disappointing. Neverwhere was a bit too much saga / fantasy to me, but other than that there were nothing particular wrong with it, and I'll recommend it to my daughter when she's getting older. I liked Coraline very much though.
Vardant
Profile Joined November 2010
Czech Republic620 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-12 13:53:11
February 12 2013 13:50 GMT
#608
Reading:

[image loading]

Next:

[image loading]
YoucriedWolf
Profile Joined July 2010
Sweden1456 Posts
February 12 2013 15:04 GMT
#609
Do read all of the sandman comics, there is a lot of build-up and and very rewarding to continue. If you're allowed to count a long series like this it is definitely one of my favorite works of literature ever made.

Having read almost all of the books Gaiman has written I find that american gods is by far the best (which I like very much). There are some really powerful short stories in primarily "Smoke and mirrors" and to a lesser extent also "Fragile things".

Planted a very nice order of books today, with previous orders I'm well on my way to not being a noob in literature anymore (In my imagination where ordering books=Having read them). You will find that some of them are inspired by this thread thx guys!

Rate my order/illiteracy

+ Show Spoiler +
A Confederacy of Dunces
A Tale Of Two Cities
Aesop's Fables
Anna Karenina
Brave new world
Cat's Cradle
Red Mars
The Aeneid
Perdido Street Station
The Metamorphosis and Other Stories
Don Quixote
The Divine Comedy
Ulysses
Tender Is The Night
The Master And Margarita
The Canterbury Tales
Finnegans Wake
The Jungle Book
dmnum
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
Brazil6910 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-12 15:50:31
February 12 2013 15:46 GMT
#610
Finished "Hadji Murat" by Tolstoy and "The Trial" by Kafka. Both very good.

Now I'm starting "Memórias Póstumas de Brás Cubas" by Machado de Assis, the greatest brazilian writer. I recommend it to anyone who likes realism and hypocritical anti-heroes.

Edit: the english title of Brás Cubas is "Epitath of a Small Winner".
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
February 12 2013 17:06 GMT
#611
On February 12 2013 17:36 lungic wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 12 2013 08:57 sam!zdat wrote:
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress surely deserves a mention here...


Without offending anyone, what was it that you liked about that book? I'm curious because I've seen it all over the net that people seems to like it, but to me it was so so. Perhaps too conflicting with my political views at the time or something, I don't know. I liked Starship Troopers a lot better (which I read after mistress).


The characters are great, the plot is exciting, the moon-dialect is sweet... It's a great book.
shikata ga nai
lungic
Profile Joined January 2012
Sweden123 Posts
February 12 2013 18:12 GMT
#612
On February 13 2013 02:06 sam!zdat wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 12 2013 17:36 lungic wrote:
On February 12 2013 08:57 sam!zdat wrote:
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress surely deserves a mention here...


Without offending anyone, what was it that you liked about that book? I'm curious because I've seen it all over the net that people seems to like it, but to me it was so so. Perhaps too conflicting with my political views at the time or something, I don't know. I liked Starship Troopers a lot better (which I read after mistress).


The characters are great, the plot is exciting, the moon-dialect is sweet... It's a great book.


Thank you for telling me.
And while were on the theme, I can recommend "Old mans war", which is quite similar to Starship troopers.
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
February 12 2013 21:27 GMT
#613
I thought old man's war was one of the worst books I've read in a long time

it occurs to me that tmiahm might not translate that well... Idk if you read it in swedish
shikata ga nai
Animzor
Profile Joined March 2011
Sweden2154 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-13 06:59:00
February 13 2013 06:55 GMT
#614
I thought Old Man's War was pretty shit as well. Was looking forward to reading it after all the recommendations but I could not finish it because it was so poorly written.

Edit: Now reading: a million fucking books at the same time for school.

La Perdida
Chaka
The Bridge of San Luis Rey
July's People

Plus I'm reading these for fun:

Absolution Gap
From Hell
lungic
Profile Joined January 2012
Sweden123 Posts
February 13 2013 07:39 GMT
#615
On February 13 2013 06:27 sam!zdat wrote:
I thought old man's war was one of the worst books I've read in a long time

it occurs to me that tmiahm might not translate that well... Idk if you read it in swedish


Hmm, I would say our tastes differ pretty much then To me it was refreshing that they were old people, but then again I'm getting older fast (32 already), so I guess personal context could have been affecting me as well.
Syn Harvest
Profile Joined July 2012
United States191 Posts
February 13 2013 22:25 GMT
#616
I just finished The Blade Itself (Book 1 in First Law Trilogy) It was fantastic. I recommend it to anyone who loves fantasy. I'm going to go start the second one.
Open your heart and embrace the darkness
lungic
Profile Joined January 2012
Sweden123 Posts
February 14 2013 17:37 GMT
#617
On February 14 2013 07:25 Syn Harvest wrote:
I just finished The Blade Itself (Book 1 in First Law Trilogy) It was fantastic. I recommend it to anyone who loves fantasy. I'm going to go start the second one.


Before they are hanged, and The Last Argument of Kings is nice as well. I actually got my book (Last argument) signed by Joe when he was in Sweden. (He's been at "Science Fiction Bokhandeln" here in Sweden at several times).

The story continues loosely in Best served cold and The Heroes, but they're more stand alone, which is almost better to some extent.

I think he describes his own works best in the preface of Best served cold.


For Grace
One day you will read this
And be slightly worried
Arnstein
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Norway3381 Posts
February 14 2013 17:41 GMT
#618
Jack Kerouac - Dharma Bums.
I bought this one and On The Road about a year ago, and while I was really disappointed with on the Road, Dharma Bums is a really good book! Recommended!
rsol in response to the dragoon voice being heard in SCII: dragoon ai reaches new lows: wanders into wrong game
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-15 04:46:56
February 15 2013 04:46 GMT
#619
reread today a beautiful book, in order to teach it:


Did you ever talk to Dr. Hoenikker?" I asked Miss Faust.
"Oh, certainly. I talked to him a lot."
"Do any conversations stick in your mind?"
"There was one where he bet I couldn't tell him anything that was absolutely true. So I said to him, 'God is love.'"
"And what did he say?"
"He said, 'What is God? What is love?'"
"Um."
"But God really is love, you know," said Miss Faust, "no matter what Dr. Hoenikker said."


[image loading]
shikata ga nai
Syn Harvest
Profile Joined July 2012
United States191 Posts
February 15 2013 12:48 GMT
#620
On February 15 2013 13:46 sam!zdat wrote:
reread today a beautiful book, in order to teach it:

Show nested quote +

Did you ever talk to Dr. Hoenikker?" I asked Miss Faust.
"Oh, certainly. I talked to him a lot."
"Do any conversations stick in your mind?"
"There was one where he bet I couldn't tell him anything that was absolutely true. So I said to him, 'God is love.'"
"And what did he say?"
"He said, 'What is God? What is love?'"
"Um."
"But God really is love, you know," said Miss Faust, "no matter what Dr. Hoenikker said."


[image loading]


Ive never read Vonnegut. Is it excessively philosophical?
Open your heart and embrace the darkness
Prev 1 29 30 31 32 33 165 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
WardiTV Weekly
11:00
WardiTV Mondays #106
IntoTheiNu 1061
WardiTV654
OGKoka 264
Rex142
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 353
OGKoka 264
Rex 142
ProTech122
StarCraft: Brood War
Bisu 2208
Horang2 1534
Larva 1314
Shuttle 1151
EffOrt 649
BeSt 495
Soma 465
Mini 304
Hyuk 239
Stork 220
[ Show more ]
Light 201
ZerO 184
ggaemo 131
Rush 117
Zeus 116
Killer 78
Barracks 70
Hyun 70
Sea.KH 49
Shine 48
ToSsGirL 33
Bale 28
Shinee 27
Yoon 25
Mong 23
Aegong 23
sorry 21
PianO 19
ajuk12(nOOB) 14
Sacsri 14
soO 13
Sexy 12
zelot 11
HiyA 9
Noble 8
Icarus 6
yabsab 5
Dota 2
Dendi1539
qojqva1222
BananaSlamJamma250
LuMiX1
Counter-Strike
x6flipin553
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes339
Other Games
singsing2198
olofmeister1659
B2W.Neo594
hiko543
Lowko421
Sick257
XaKoH 215
Pyrionflax160
ArmadaUGS86
Mew2King39
ZerO(Twitch)2
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream546
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 9
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH290
• StrangeGG 31
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos2278
Other Games
• WagamamaTV232
Upcoming Events
Monday Night Weeklies
3h 20m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
21h 20m
Afreeca Starleague
21h 20m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 11h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 22h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
5 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.