• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 11:07
CEST 17:07
KST 00:07
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon104
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7962 users

What Are You Reading 2013 - Page 29

Forum Index > Media & Entertainment
Post a Reply
Prev 1 27 28 29 30 31 165 Next
ECHOZs
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States499 Posts
February 09 2013 02:23 GMT
#561
Ive been reading Thomas Mertons journals the past few days pretty good stuff, really helps me with self reflection.
Ettick
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United States2434 Posts
February 09 2013 02:24 GMT
#562
On February 09 2013 11:19 farvacola wrote:
Ettick, what else are you reading for that class, if I may ask?

And Sam, I'm the best record store clerk.

Sorry, I don't know what else we're going to read
It's a highschool class so we just sort of have to read what we're given lol
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
February 09 2013 02:29 GMT
#563
On February 09 2013 11:24 Ettick wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 09 2013 11:19 farvacola wrote:
Ettick, what else are you reading for that class, if I may ask?

And Sam, I'm the best record store clerk.

Sorry, I don't know what else we're going to read
It's a highschool class so we just sort of have to read what we're given lol

Haha yeah I remember how that goes. If you enjoy reading philosophy as literature, Brave New World is just the tip of the iceberg.

Also ECHOz, Thomas Merton's autobiographical writing is fascinating, I especially enjoy when he describes his experience with the then brand new New Criticism. Good stuff.
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
February 09 2013 02:40 GMT
#564
farv, from now on you are my official subject-supposed-to-like-classic-literature. I don't understand how anybody could actually have enjoyed reading milton.
shikata ga nai
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
February 09 2013 03:18 GMT
#565
I like the books that others do not because even the most boring, dusty corner in the attic of expression can hold a useful or interesting idea. I rather enjoy the notion that I am to brush off the cobwebs, figure out what's junk, and put the remainder in a museum. Because that's where it belongs.

Everyone ought to visit the museum on occasion though
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
aZealot
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
New Zealand5447 Posts
February 09 2013 03:48 GMT
#566
On February 09 2013 06:10 Dirkzor wrote:
Just finished reading this one:

[image loading]

It was really good. It's like a chrildrens book written for adults...

Anyone seen the BBC series? Is it good?


I really enjoyed that book, a real good read. Coincidentally, I've been perusing some of Gaiman's old work on Sandman recently too (I used to collect the series). I had a sudden hankering for Sandman #74. I read it again, and went from there.

Currently halfway through Zamyatin's We and I'm enjoying it very much.
KT best KT ~ 2014
123Gurke
Profile Joined January 2005
France154 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-09 09:01:19
February 09 2013 09:00 GMT
#567
On February 09 2013 06:44 Syn Harvest wrote:
Agreed. Have your read anything by Cormac McCarthy. If you enjoy Faulkner you will most certainly enjoy McCarthy I feel like McCarthy picked up where Faulkner left off. In my opinion McCarthy is the greatest living author. Blood Meridian is a masterpiece of modern literature


That is good to hear. I have this still on my pile.

I changed my plan a little. reading several things in parallel now.

[image loading]

Why would anyone read a documentation about the Hell's Angels in the 1960s that is now completely outdated? Well, actually I don't know. But for some reason I still enjoy it.

[image loading]

A little book about the middles ages in Europe. Some interesting things in there that I did not know before.

[image loading]

A collection of German poems. I do not know much about poetry, but I thought I should give it a try. So far I enjoy it quite a lot. Makes you realize how ingenious some of those writers were (Goethe, Rilke,...). I guess I will read in this book for quite some time.

I have bought We after the recommendations here, but have not started it yet. Also I consider reading Absalom, Absalom! for the stupid reason that Absalom is one of my favourite characters from the bible. Also there is a great poem by Rilke on him.
"No," she said, "but sometimes I like to watch."
CraZyWayne
Profile Joined August 2010
Germany357 Posts
February 09 2013 10:17 GMT
#568
I finished "Flowers for Algernon" a few weeks ago (it was recommended in the 2012's thread). Really good book, but its end was certainly not as strong as its beginning.

Just finished the first book of the "Dresden Files" by Jim Butcher ("Storm Front"). Guess what: Immediately ordered the 2nd one ("Fool Moon")!

Btw I really love this thread, so many good recommendations and interesting discussions going on here. Keep it up!

"tahts halo. dont worry"
corumjhaelen
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
France6884 Posts
February 09 2013 10:26 GMT
#569
On February 09 2013 09:46 Syn Harvest wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 09 2013 08:03 corumjhaelen wrote:
On February 09 2013 06:48 sam!zdat wrote:
As I Lay Dying is awful. The greatest work of English literature is Atlas Shrugged.

Rofl, so obvious.
Anyway the greatest work in French litterature is a much more important question.
I'll update you guys once I've read enough so I can cast judgement.
+ Show Spoiler +
But if I had to choose for English, Hamlet would be the obvious choice. I need to read Ulysses though, I think it's right up my alley.


The Greatest piece of French Literature is a much easier question to answer. The greatest novel in French is easily In Search of Lost Time by Proust. Every French writer aspires to his heights and unfortunatley noone has reached his level. I have only read the first four volumes of In Search of Lost Time because it is simply so daunting. But what I read was certainly some of the greatest literature ever conceived

Well it's quite obviously the best book I've ever read, but I don't despair finding something as good one of these days. Also finish it, from the last 100 page of Albertine Gone to the very end of Time Reagined it's like even better. Well I'm not that sure, because each page is so precious, but still.
On February 09 2013 11:08 sam!zdat wrote:
ugh why are we talking about 'the greatest so and so,' what are we, record store clerks?

It's something I quite like, it's fun and silly. Never take seriously. It's much funnier with movies though, because in litterature people are much shier about their opinion.
‎numquam se plus agere quam nihil cum ageret, numquam minus solum esse quam cum solus esset
Syn Harvest
Profile Joined July 2012
United States191 Posts
February 09 2013 10:37 GMT
#570
On February 09 2013 11:40 sam!zdat wrote:
farv, from now on you are my official subject-supposed-to-like-classic-literature. I don't understand how anybody could actually have enjoyed reading milton.


I agree with this Milton is a complete bore. I could never get into Paradise a few pages and I would throw it to the side.

I have heard Brave New World by Huxley mentioned like five times in the last 2 days I think it is a sign. I'm gonna have to go pick it up.
Open your heart and embrace the darkness
shadowy
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Bulgaria305 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-09 10:59:12
February 09 2013 10:55 GMT
#571
Finished:

[image loading]

Half-way:
[image loading]

Catchier than one would expect.

Hopefully we will get the last part of The Wheel of Time out. Even more hopefully something really nice from Sergei Lukyanenko will come out.

edit: I am aware "A memory of light" is out. I am awaiting for the Bulgarian translation. After reading all books before hand translated, I don't even dare to try to read the last one natively. Those who speak few languages will most likely understand.
[Fear the leather Gracket!] // ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ // Liquid'Hero hwaiting!
Syn Harvest
Profile Joined July 2012
United States191 Posts
February 09 2013 12:42 GMT
#572
How did you read Fifty Shades of Gray. She is such a terrible author. She makes such novice mistakes in her writing. Unless your a girl in which case I understand. My gf demanded I read the first one so I did and it was awful. The story is somewhat interesting and I can see why girls enjoy it so much but the author is atrocious
Open your heart and embrace the darkness
123Gurke
Profile Joined January 2005
France154 Posts
February 09 2013 13:28 GMT
#573
On February 09 2013 19:37 Syn Harvest wrote:
I have heard Brave New World by Huxley mentioned like five times in the last 2 days I think it is a sign. I'm gonna have to go pick it up.


Good choice! In my opinion better and more relevant for today than 1984.
"No," she said, "but sometimes I like to watch."
elt
Profile Joined July 2010
Thailand1092 Posts
February 09 2013 13:47 GMT
#574
On February 09 2013 22:28 123Gurke wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 09 2013 19:37 Syn Harvest wrote:
I have heard Brave New World by Huxley mentioned like five times in the last 2 days I think it is a sign. I'm gonna have to go pick it up.


Good choice! In my opinion better and more relevant for today than 1984.


Well 1984 was born partly from Soviet fear, and in a way it was relevant-ish during The Cold War (in my opinion). Brave New World certainly is much more morally ambiguous for me in the sense that I can't completely reject everything from that future.

I'd also suggest giving We by Zamyatin a if you enjoyed Brave New World.
(Under Construction)
123Gurke
Profile Joined January 2005
France154 Posts
February 09 2013 14:06 GMT
#575
On February 09 2013 22:47 elt wrote:
Well 1984 was born partly from Soviet fear, and in a way it was relevant-ish during The Cold War (in my opinion). Brave New World certainly is much more morally ambiguous for me in the sense that I can't completely reject everything from that future.

I'd also suggest giving We by Zamyatin a if you enjoyed Brave New World.


Yes, I have bought that book last week. Will read it when I have finished some other things.
"No," she said, "but sometimes I like to watch."
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
February 09 2013 17:02 GMT
#576
On February 09 2013 22:47 elt wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 09 2013 22:28 123Gurke wrote:
On February 09 2013 19:37 Syn Harvest wrote:
I have heard Brave New World by Huxley mentioned like five times in the last 2 days I think it is a sign. I'm gonna have to go pick it up.


Good choice! In my opinion better and more relevant for today than 1984.


Well 1984 was born partly from Soviet fear, and in a way it was relevant-ish during The Cold War (in my opinion).


No, 1984 was born of fear of Soviet fear.
shikata ga nai
Syn Harvest
Profile Joined July 2012
United States191 Posts
February 10 2013 10:12 GMT
#577
Has anyone read Cloud Atlas. Is it worth reading. I haven't seen the movie so my understanding of it isn't tainted. An acquaintence rambled aboput it for a few minutesd and it sounds kinda interesting but I'm not sure.
Open your heart and embrace the darkness
imre
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
France9263 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-10 11:07:28
February 10 2013 11:06 GMT
#578
On February 10 2013 02:02 sam!zdat wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 09 2013 22:47 elt wrote:
On February 09 2013 22:28 123Gurke wrote:
On February 09 2013 19:37 Syn Harvest wrote:
I have heard Brave New World by Huxley mentioned like five times in the last 2 days I think it is a sign. I'm gonna have to go pick it up.


Good choice! In my opinion better and more relevant for today than 1984.


Well 1984 was born partly from Soviet fear, and in a way it was relevant-ish during The Cold War (in my opinion).


No, 1984 was born of fear of Soviet fear.


yeah but all the post 1936 work from Orwell is tainted with his disgust of the communist elites (since he got particulary screwed upon with the POUM when the CNT/Communists were fighting over Barcelona).
Zest fanboy.
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-10 20:21:08
February 10 2013 19:11 GMT
#579
I understand. But people don't keep in mind that Orwell was a fellow traveler when they read his books, and they put him in the same camp as Ayn Rand or smth. For example, interpreting Animal Farm to be about how communism is bad, not about how a revolution gets betrayed. And 1984 is a book about England, not about the USSR.

On February 10 2013 19:12 Syn Harvest wrote:
Has anyone read Cloud Atlas. Is it worth reading. I haven't seen the movie so my understanding of it isn't tainted. An acquaintence rambled aboput it for a few minutesd and it sounds kinda interesting but I'm not sure.


I've heard that it's good, but I don't know anything about it
shikata ga nai
babylon
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
8765 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-11 06:36:29
February 11 2013 06:32 GMT
#580
On February 10 2013 19:12 Syn Harvest wrote:
Has anyone read Cloud Atlas. Is it worth reading. I haven't seen the movie so my understanding of it isn't tainted. An acquaintence rambled aboput it for a few minutesd and it sounds kinda interesting but I'm not sure.

Yes, it's worth reading. I read it a few years ago and haven't seen the movie, so I can't really compare them. Mitchell's an experimental fiction writer and plays around with style and structure. His stylistic mastery's something to be marveled at, his structural plays less so (but they're still interesting, I just find the lack of subtlety a bit irritating and amateurish). I actually don't think Cloud Atlas is his best work though it's the one to get the most attention. I much prefer Black Swan Green. Thousand Autumns is pretty good too, and Ghostwritten is enjoyable.

He's heavily influenced by Murakami. His prose tend towards the simple but poetic, not dissimilar to Japanese-style painting, where the strokes are simple and clean but the overall picture is more than the sum of its parts. He spent several years living in Japan, and his time there really shows through in all of his novels in style, setting, and plot (esp. in Thousand Autumns).
Prev 1 27 28 29 30 31 165 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 54m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech148
Rex 125
Codebar 18
StarCraft: Brood War
Bisu 2754
Shuttle 1437
EffOrt 926
BeSt 705
Light 426
Mini 403
ggaemo 341
Stork 276
ZerO 253
firebathero 242
[ Show more ]
Rush 167
Barracks 135
Sea.KH 82
Zeus 65
Killer 63
Shine 55
Dewaltoss 55
Hyun 39
Mong 33
Shinee 31
Yoon 31
ToSsGirL 28
Aegong 28
Sexy 27
sorry 22
Bale 22
soO 21
Terrorterran 19
ajuk12(nOOB) 12
Sacsri 11
yabsab 9
zelot 6
Dota 2
qojqva3834
Dendi1786
BananaSlamJamma392
LuMiX1
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes589
Other Games
singsing2229
hiko1208
Liquid`RaSZi1151
B2W.Neo870
Lowko357
Liquid`VortiX224
Sick167
ArmadaUGS124
Trikslyr23
ZerO(Twitch)12
Mew2King10
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream558
StarCraft: Brood War
Kim Chul Min (afreeca) 9
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• mYiSmile116
• intothetv
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix3
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos2202
• Nemesis1911
• TFBlade657
Other Games
• WagamamaTV288
Upcoming Events
Monday Night Weeklies
54m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
18h 54m
Afreeca Starleague
18h 54m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 8h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 19h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
5 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.