• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 11:06
CEST 17:06
KST 00:06
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon104
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7962 users

What Are You Reading 2013 - Page 28

Forum Index > Media & Entertainment
Post a Reply
Prev 1 26 27 28 29 30 165 Next
Syn Harvest
Profile Joined July 2012
United States191 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-08 21:27:20
February 08 2013 21:26 GMT
#541
On February 09 2013 04:58 Piy wrote:
I'm reading "The Still Point" by Amy Sackville. It's alright, perhaps one of the better books I've read by a modern author recently.

I just finished the other sections of The Canterbury Tales and rereading Troilus and Criseyde by Chaucer. For those interested in older texts I think Troilus and Criseyde is probably the best work of literature in the English language. Brilliantly written, really well observed characters and hilarious. Contains perhaps the most awkward romantic plot of all time, along with one of the most bizarre and unpredictable sex scenes.

After this I'm going to read the entire Asterix series to improve my French again.


Troilus and Criseyde is most certainly the greatest of Chauncers work but I don't believe it to be anywhere near the best work in English Literature. In my opinion Shakespeares version of the story is better and it is not even Shakespeares greatest work, which in my opinion is Hamlet.

The best work in English Literature is more likely to be Ulysses by Joyce or perhaps Great Expectations by Dickens. To expand outside of Britian Lolita by Nabokov is incredible and Absalom, Absalom by Faulkner is one of the greatest pieces of literature written in the English Language.
Open your heart and embrace the darkness
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
February 08 2013 21:31 GMT
#542
To judge "the best novel in the English language" is to reach for a level of objectivity that does not exist. There are a number of works that are clearly a notch above the rest, but let's not pretend that any individual person is the nexus of critical judgement. Far more useful to say "this novel is really excellent, and here's why".

As I Lay Dying is better than Absalom, Absalom, in my opinion
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
Syn Harvest
Profile Joined July 2012
United States191 Posts
February 08 2013 21:38 GMT
#543
On February 09 2013 06:31 farvacola wrote:
To judge "the best novel in the English language" is to reach for a level of objectivity that does not exist. There are a number of works that are clearly a notch above the rest, but let's not pretend that any individual person is the nexus of critical judgement. Far more useful to say "this novel is really excellent, and here's why".

As I Lay Dying is better than Absalom, Absalom, in my opinion


You and your logic and reason. Pssh don't you know this is the internet.

That being said I really like As I Lay Dying as well. Something about Absalom though just sticks with me and if I went back to read any Faulkner Absalom would be it
Open your heart and embrace the darkness
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
February 08 2013 21:40 GMT
#544
Absalom, Absalom is indeed an excellent book. I just have a fetish for death in literature
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
Syn Harvest
Profile Joined July 2012
United States191 Posts
February 08 2013 21:44 GMT
#545
On February 09 2013 06:40 farvacola wrote:
Absalom, Absalom is indeed an excellent book. I just have a fetish for death in literature


Agreed. Have your read anything by Cormac McCarthy. If you enjoy Faulkner you will most certainly enjoy McCarthy I feel like McCarthy picked up where Faulkner left off. In my opinion McCarthy is the greatest living author. Blood Meridian is a masterpiece of modern literature
Open your heart and embrace the darkness
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
February 08 2013 21:48 GMT
#546
As I Lay Dying is awful. The greatest work of English literature is Atlas Shrugged.
shikata ga nai
Syn Harvest
Profile Joined July 2012
United States191 Posts
February 08 2013 22:14 GMT
#547
On February 09 2013 06:48 sam!zdat wrote:
As I Lay Dying is awful. The greatest work of English literature is Atlas Shrugged.


Are you serious. Atlas Shrugged is a joke. Philospohical rantings under a thin veil claimed to be a novel. You must be a philosophy major or a rightt wing nut job to honestly believe that book to be the greatest work of English Literature. Hell its not even the greatest work by a Russian writing in the english language. Nabokov makes Rand look like an amateur.
Open your heart and embrace the darkness
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-08 22:35:04
February 08 2013 22:34 GMT
#548
^I think I like you, syn harvest I'm not the biggest fan of Cormac, but I definitely respect his work, particularly Blood Meridian.


Also be careful when responding to Sam, he likes to play trap cards
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
corumjhaelen
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
France6884 Posts
February 08 2013 23:03 GMT
#549
On February 09 2013 06:48 sam!zdat wrote:
As I Lay Dying is awful. The greatest work of English literature is Atlas Shrugged.

Rofl, so obvious.
Anyway the greatest work in French litterature is a much more important question.
I'll update you guys once I've read enough so I can cast judgement.
+ Show Spoiler +
But if I had to choose for English, Hamlet would be the obvious choice. I need to read Ulysses though, I think it's right up my alley.
‎numquam se plus agere quam nihil cum ageret, numquam minus solum esse quam cum solus esset
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
February 08 2013 23:05 GMT
#550
I do believe one of those things, however
shikata ga nai
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-08 23:12:19
February 08 2013 23:08 GMT
#551
Holy shit Corum, you need to get on that ASAP! Perhaps I'll throw up a Ulysses discussion blog, Irish modernism was one of college foci.

And yes Sam, I've still to convince you of the utility in ornamental expression!
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
February 08 2013 23:09 GMT
#552
I'd join a Ulysses group
shikata ga nai
corumjhaelen
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
France6884 Posts
February 08 2013 23:11 GMT
#553
So would I. I need to start a third book too :p
‎numquam se plus agere quam nihil cum ageret, numquam minus solum esse quam cum solus esset
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
February 08 2013 23:13 GMT
#554
we gotta take it kinda slow though, I'm also reading Hegel and Marx and there's only one Sam
shikata ga nai
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
February 08 2013 23:15 GMT
#555
Slow is the only way High Modernism makes any sense anyways.
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
Syn Harvest
Profile Joined July 2012
United States191 Posts
February 09 2013 00:46 GMT
#556
On February 09 2013 08:03 corumjhaelen wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 09 2013 06:48 sam!zdat wrote:
As I Lay Dying is awful. The greatest work of English literature is Atlas Shrugged.

Rofl, so obvious.
Anyway the greatest work in French litterature is a much more important question.
I'll update you guys once I've read enough so I can cast judgement.
+ Show Spoiler +
But if I had to choose for English, Hamlet would be the obvious choice. I need to read Ulysses though, I think it's right up my alley.


The Greatest piece of French Literature is a much easier question to answer. The greatest novel in French is easily In Search of Lost Time by Proust. Every French writer aspires to his heights and unfortunatley noone has reached his level. I have only read the first four volumes of In Search of Lost Time because it is simply so daunting. But what I read was certainly some of the greatest literature ever conceived
Open your heart and embrace the darkness
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
February 09 2013 02:08 GMT
#557
ugh why are we talking about 'the greatest so and so,' what are we, record store clerks?
shikata ga nai
Ettick
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United States2434 Posts
February 09 2013 02:13 GMT
#558
Reading Brave New World by Aldous Huxley in Philosophy as Literature class, I find it very intriguing.
The society people live in in this book looks like a utopia from the outside, but it's really anything but when you investigate it further.
I'm too tired to write more about it atm since I just shoveled snow for an hour or two lol...
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-09 02:23:50
February 09 2013 02:19 GMT
#559
Ettick, what else are you reading for that class, if I may ask?

And Sam, I'm the best record store clerk.

Edit: Paradise Lost is great, I hope you enjoy it. Milton is mah boi.
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
broodmann
Profile Joined December 2011
604 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-09 02:22:25
February 09 2013 02:21 GMT
#560
Just finished A Memory Of Light and I'm very happy the series is over and I wont have to obsess over what is gonna happen next. Im gonna start reading Paradise Lost in the next few days hopefully it will live up to the hype.
Prev 1 26 27 28 29 30 165 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 54m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech148
Rex 125
Codebar 18
StarCraft: Brood War
Bisu 2754
Shuttle 1437
EffOrt 926
BeSt 705
Light 426
Mini 403
ggaemo 341
Stork 276
ZerO 253
firebathero 242
[ Show more ]
Rush 167
Barracks 135
Sea.KH 82
Zeus 65
Killer 63
Shine 55
Dewaltoss 55
Hyun 39
Mong 33
Shinee 31
Yoon 31
ToSsGirL 28
Aegong 28
Sexy 27
sorry 22
Bale 22
soO 21
Terrorterran 19
ajuk12(nOOB) 12
Sacsri 11
yabsab 9
zelot 6
Dota 2
qojqva3834
Dendi1786
BananaSlamJamma392
LuMiX1
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes589
Other Games
singsing2229
hiko1208
Liquid`RaSZi1151
B2W.Neo870
Lowko357
Liquid`VortiX224
Sick167
ArmadaUGS124
Trikslyr23
ZerO(Twitch)12
Mew2King10
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream558
StarCraft: Brood War
Kim Chul Min (afreeca) 9
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• mYiSmile116
• intothetv
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix3
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos2202
• Nemesis1911
• TFBlade657
Other Games
• WagamamaTV288
Upcoming Events
Monday Night Weeklies
54m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
18h 54m
Afreeca Starleague
18h 54m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 8h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 19h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
5 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.