• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 06:02
CEST 12:02
KST 19:02
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach3[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon103Weekly Cups (Aug 30-Sep 7): herO thrives amid growing schism10
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) Blizzard Classic Cup @ BlizzCon 2026 - $100k prize pool
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9604 users

What Are You Reading 2013 - Page 32

Forum Index > Media & Entertainment
Post a Reply
Prev 1 30 31 32 33 34 165 Next
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-15 19:03:23
February 15 2013 18:53 GMT
#621
On February 15 2013 21:48 Syn Harvest wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 15 2013 13:46 sam!zdat wrote:
reread today a beautiful book, in order to teach it:


Did you ever talk to Dr. Hoenikker?" I asked Miss Faust.
"Oh, certainly. I talked to him a lot."
"Do any conversations stick in your mind?"
"There was one where he bet I couldn't tell him anything that was absolutely true. So I said to him, 'God is love.'"
"And what did he say?"
"He said, 'What is God? What is love?'"
"Um."
"But God really is love, you know," said Miss Faust, "no matter what Dr. Hoenikker said."


[image loading]


Ive never read Vonnegut. Is it excessively philosophical?


I don't think so, but I have to be honest and say that's not a question which makes a great deal of sense to me so perhaps others can say better

edit: I think this is one of the great american novels and everyone should read it
shikata ga nai
p4NDemik
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
United States13896 Posts
February 15 2013 21:45 GMT
#622
Vonnegut is excessively nothing in my opinion. Just the right amount of something.
Moderator
Cambium
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
United States16368 Posts
February 16 2013 09:38 GMT
#623
Okay, finally finished reading Fall of Hyperion, and it was really really confusing. At the end, I had no idea what the hell the book was talking about any more. I think I am much more confused now than I was when I finished the first book. Anyone want to discuss the following points?

+ Show Spoiler +

Ok, what is up with this thing? Who built and sent the Shrike, and what are its motives? The book mentioned that the Shrike was either sent by the future humans or the future volatile UI as an attack on the alternate UI. Later, we learned that the Shrike was sent to kill humans (? really don't remember this any more, all the passages with Ummon were confusing to me).

Suppose the Shrike was sent to kill humans, so it was created by the AIs from the future, which is somewhat fitting with its roles in the stories, why did it show Dure what the AIs were doing with humans and crucifixes and send him back to warn the human race against the AIs. Also, the Shrike definitely could have killed Rachel many times over so that she could not become the future human leader, Moneta.

Now, suppose the Shrike was sent by future humans, then why would the humans in the future have a revolution to fight against the army of Shrikes? And what the hell was the Shrike doing putting the crucifix on Dure the first time around.

Then there is the Shrike tree. The Shrike put a bunch of random people on the tree (I'm guessing serving a similar function as the crucifix for the AIs to use the human neurons), in attempt to bait the future human UI with 'empathy', but no one came forward except Lamia but she's not really the one.

Then there is freaking Shrike church. What the hell was that? They knew about Lamia and her child, and sent her on the pilgrimage to destroy the Shrike? I still don't understand what they knew to pick the pilgrims in the first place. In fact, the entire pilgrim plot was largely unexplained: the seven pilgrims, one allowed to live, no-man's land, etc, etc. The whole purpose of the church was also never clear, what was their ultimate goal?

And Het Masteen, who went on the pilgrimage for the sole purpose of ergging the Shrike Tree, then either he or the Shrike (don't remember which) said 'fuck it' the last minute and he died?

And then there was the whole scene in the first book where Kassad, Moneta and the Shrike fought side-by-side against the 'ousters' which I now begin to think might be cybrids, not sure what the purpose of that was. In fact, Kassad's entire character seemed really contrived and unnecessary, other than the introduction of Moneta.

I'll stop typing now...
When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.
lungic
Profile Joined January 2012
Sweden123 Posts
February 16 2013 10:18 GMT
#624
Cambium, you'll have most answers in the fourth book, and many of them are impossible to guess at this point, or at least very
hard to guess. But to get to them, you'll have to read the whole digression that is the third book in the series.
DauBo
Profile Blog Joined February 2013
United States20 Posts
February 16 2013 10:25 GMT
#625
The Cold Hard Truth About Men, Women and Money by Kevin O'Learly is pretty interesting so far. It teaches you how to invest and not to spend, pretty neat and a good way to look at how your money is being managed.
jbTensai
Profile Joined January 2011
Germany26 Posts
February 16 2013 13:38 GMT
#626
On January 15 2013 22:19 elt wrote:


Next:
Still not quite sure.. Probably
[image loading]



very good book if you enjoy abercrombies style
recently finished it and wasnt expecting anything near as good as his first law trilogy but was a pretty fun read
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
February 16 2013 20:22 GMT
#627
well, this'll be interesting

[image loading]
shikata ga nai
dmnum
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
Brazil6910 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-16 21:10:53
February 16 2013 21:10 GMT
#628
Ok, so I finished "The Castle" by Franz Kafka about an hour ago. This book is going to haunt me for life, I enjoyed it a lot more than "The Trial"(Which is also very good), but since it was never finished I'll always wonder what Kafka would write between the 25th chapter and the end.

Also finished "Memórias Póstumas de Brás Cubas", by Machado de Assis. I re-read it every other year.

Now I'm going to re-read "The Old Man and the Sea", by Ernest Hemingway. After that I'll probably read some mystery novels. I'm leaning towards Raymond Chandler. Has anyone read it? If yes, is it good?
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-16 21:49:41
February 16 2013 21:49 GMT
#629
I've read a few Chandler stories, it's pretty cool, I should get back to it. It's not exactly lyrical however. But he's a big influence on Gibson so I suppose I should read more of him.
shikata ga nai
WhatsInAName
Profile Joined November 2012
United States49 Posts
February 16 2013 21:51 GMT
#630
McLuhan and Joyce
Syn Harvest
Profile Joined July 2012
United States191 Posts
February 16 2013 22:10 GMT
#631
On February 17 2013 06:49 sam!zdat wrote:
I've read a few Chandler stories, it's pretty cool, I should get back to it. It's not exactly lyrical however. But he's a big influence on Gibson so I suppose I should read more of him.


My girlfriend loves Raymond Chandler she says The Long Goodbye and The Little Sister are fantastic. I have still yet to read them myself though. Never really got into mystery crime novel stuff.
Open your heart and embrace the darkness
Harvey18
Profile Joined December 2012
Netherlands165 Posts
February 17 2013 01:05 GMT
#632
I am currently rereading IT by stephen king and I am kinda looking for stuff thats like it, not other stephen king novels because I'm already planning on reading them
Bwaaaa
Profile Joined September 2011
Australia969 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-17 03:26:10
February 17 2013 03:23 GMT
#633
I am reading the masters of Rome series by Collen McCullough. I am on the last book and I am kind of burning out of the books(understandable because I think I have read 2.5k to 3k pages so far) but they have been very enjoyable. They are a decent read if you want a decently historically accurate summary of the history of Rome from Gaius Marius to Julius Caesar. I don't think I will read her book about what happens after Caesar's death(I don't think this could ever count as a spoiler right?) but I had similar sentiments about not wanting to read the current book 'The October Horse' so I might get hooked again.

Edit: I should say that if you have neglected your Roman history and you do not have the patience to slog through history books I heavily recommend this series.
frogrubdown
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
1266 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-17 04:01:58
February 17 2013 04:01 GMT
#634
On February 17 2013 05:22 sam!zdat wrote:
well, this'll be interesting

[image loading]


You could always just fill in this Latour template on your own and save some time:

1. Scientists (either in general or a specific scientist) have always believed [obviously false nonsensical exaggeration] (citation needed).
2. [Indecipherable rhetoric and an argument with no clear force]
3. Therefore, [goofy metaphysical conclusion that far outstrips the denial of obviously false nonsensical exaggeration]
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-17 04:09:57
February 17 2013 04:08 GMT
#635
I'm actually enjoying it quite a bit so far froggy

He's taken some pains to point out that he is not a constructivist or a relativist. Too bad his fans didn't read that part.

edit: but I like your template. I'll forward it to my reading group :D
shikata ga nai
frogrubdown
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
1266 Posts
February 17 2013 04:43 GMT
#636
On February 17 2013 13:08 sam!zdat wrote:
I'm actually enjoying it quite a bit so far froggy

He's taken some pains to point out that he is not a constructivist or a relativist. Too bad his fans didn't read that part.

edit: but I like your template. I'll forward it to my reading group :D


You can't blame those readings entirely on misguided fans. If Latour really wanted to minimize the risk of being so construed he'd have thousands of edits to make.

Why does he have to be so damn coy all the time? Why is he almost always speaking through someone else rather than giving his own views? (Here, "someone else" is generally not a specific person but a group or movement that he has defined without actually showing that any individuals fit that definition). He has next to no interest in being clearly understood.
aZealot
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
New Zealand5447 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-17 04:58:28
February 17 2013 04:55 GMT
#637
Hasn't that been a long time trend in continental philosophy and sociology? Incomprehensibility masks the paucity of argument. Anyway, back OT, I've completed Clarissa Oakes by Patrick O'Brian (a fantastic re-reading), am wrapping up We (which has not been as good as I expected, and lost some of its lustre about halfway through), and am a third of the way through O'Brian's Wine Dark Sea. After this book, I shall be leaving Aubrey and Maturin for a little while.

Based on some of the recommendations here I shall be reading Kafka's The Trial. I shall also begin reading some Hayek. Can anyone recommend a good Hayek book to start with? I have only read The Road to Serfdom (a few years ago now at University), and his seminal article on "The Uses of Knowledge in Society". Any suggestions?
KT best KT ~ 2014
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
February 17 2013 05:02 GMT
#638
I recommend starting with this excellent book by Hayek:

http://www.amazon.com/Capital-Critique-Political-Economy-Classics/dp/0140445684

@froggy, yeah, I feel you man. Luckily, I have a +5 ticonderoga pencil of obscurantism piercing
shikata ga nai
Cambium
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
United States16368 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-17 07:05:14
February 17 2013 07:04 GMT
#639
On February 16 2013 19:18 lungic wrote:
Cambium, you'll have most answers in the fourth book, and many of them are impossible to guess at this point, or at least very
hard to guess. But to get to them, you'll have to read the whole digression that is the third book in the series.


I heard Endymion and Rise of Endymion aren't nearly as good the Hyperion books, so I think I'm going to pass. I read the summaries of the other books, and the stories didn't seem too interesting. I'm glad the first two books covered most of the stories with regards to the AIs, Hegemony and Ousters.

On February 17 2013 12:23 Bwaaaa wrote:
I am reading the masters of Rome series by Collen McCullough. I am on the last book and I am kind of burning out of the books(understandable because I think I have read 2.5k to 3k pages so far) but they have been very enjoyable. They are a decent read if you want a decently historically accurate summary of the history of Rome from Gaius Marius to Julius Caesar. I don't think I will read her book about what happens after Caesar's death(I don't think this could ever count as a spoiler right?) but I had similar sentiments about not wanting to read the current book 'The October Horse' so I might get hooked again.

Edit: I should say that if you have neglected your Roman history and you do not have the patience to slog through history books I heavily recommend this series.


Thanks, I just might start this series. I've heard good things.
When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.
Cambium
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
United States16368 Posts
February 17 2013 07:21 GMT
#640
On February 04 2013 00:27 Cambium wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +

On January 25 2013 01:12 Cambium wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +

On January 15 2013 20:00 Cambium wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +

Gave up on:
Destiny of the Republic
[image loading]

Another exceedingly dry book, I really don't know why I even started reading it.

Reamde
[image loading]

I read over 60% of this book, and finally decided to give it up as well. I've really enjoyed Stephenson's previous works like Snow Crash, and to a lesser extent, The Diamond Ages. This book is excruciatingly long at over 1000 pages, and there were just passages after passages about irrelevant events that neither add anything to character development nor drive the plot forward. As a native speaker of Mandarin Chinese, I found the random Chinese phrases and names (loads of those) in the book as gimmicky nuisances, as they served no purposes other than to appeal to the 'nerdy' crowd who'd perchance find random Chinese phrases fascinating and chic.

The story itself was decent, but the book was just too long and uninteresting for the most part.

Reading:
Mao's Great Famine
[image loading]

So far so good, I've always had a keen interest in North Korean and Chinese histories.

Next
The Fault in our Stars
[image loading]



Just finished:
Mao's Great Famine
[image loading]

This was initially really interesting, but then it read too much like a history/fact book than a novel. The author only had a handful of sources and stories, and he kept on re-using these same examples to proof different points under different section of the book. I did learn a lot about modern Chinese history, of a period I've only heard stories of. While this book only offered one opinion, it did broaden my perspective, and made me realize how lucky I -- nay, China as a whole -- was that China did not turn out to be like North Korea.

While I was reading this book, I read a ton of wikipedia articles on the same topic, which interestingly frequently cited this book.

Strongly recommended for those who wish to learn more about 'the Great Leap Forward'.

Reading:
Hyperion
[image loading]

The Mao book was too dark, need something that pull me away from reality for a while... I might finish the entire series if the this one proves to be captivating enough.

Next
The Fault in our Stars
[image loading]



Just Read:
Hyperion
[image loading]

Okay, that was a great read. There were a lot of times when I couldn't put the book down until I had finished the whole chapter (and those are long, since there are only six of them).

I enjoyed the different writing styles, but, at times, the style would seem really contrived, and obviously not something the author is used to write.

Some of the stories were a lot better than the others, but overall, it was a very pleasant read.

Reading
[image loading]
Okay, the first book was great, except it leaves you with the biggest cliffhanger ever...

Next
The Fault in our Stars
[image loading]



Just Read
The Fall of Hyperion
[image loading]
This was a slight let down from the first book, albeit still a very pleasant read. I read the last 1/3 of the book in one sitting because I was dying to find out what happened to the characters and the fate of their world.

The Hyperion series was not an easy read. The write style was often times overly descriptive, but ultimately, the overarching plots were very complex, and often times, thought-provoking. What I didn't like about the second book in particular, was that, Simmons would, in certain chapters, state his ideals and philosophies point-blank through his characters, rather than leaving them for my interpretation through the stories themselves.

In any case, these were great books with lots of mind-fucks and inconsistencies, well worth a read.

Reading
Nothing to Envy
[image loading]

Yet another book on North Korea for me, probably the last one if it doesn't tell me something I don't already know.

Next
Shantaram
[image loading]

Behind the Beautiful Forevers
[image loading]

The Fault in our Stars
[image loading]
I'm really going to hold this book off for a bit, because there are such great expectations, I don't know how to approach it.
When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.
Prev 1 30 31 32 33 34 165 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Afreeca Starleague
10:00
Ro8 Match 3
Soma vs Jaedong
Afreeca ASL 4101
StarCastTV_EN66
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 231
Lowko99
ProTech27
StarCraft: Brood War
Bisu 3443
Larva 1146
EffOrt 1044
BeSt 781
Horang2 682
Hyuk 539
soO 479
ZerO 348
Zeus 181
Stork 109
[ Show more ]
Light 80
Rush 78
Killer 71
Shinee 62
Hyun 35
ToSsGirL 29
Mong 28
Bale 26
Terrorterran 21
PianO 20
Barracks 17
Sacsri 17
HiyA 10
Noble 6
Dota 2
XaKoH 681
XcaliburYe331
Counter-Strike
byalli953
Other Games
singsing1525
olofmeister1398
ceh9677
crisheroes206
Livibee179
Mew2King59
ArmadaUGS59
ZerO(Twitch)6
Sick2
Organizations
StarCraft: Brood War
UltimateBattle 39
lovetv 5
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH336
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2290
League of Legends
• Jankos1877
• Stunt381
Other Games
• WagamamaTV114
Upcoming Events
WardiTV Weekly
58m
Monday Night Weeklies
5h 58m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
23h 58m
Afreeca Starleague
23h 58m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 13h
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
FEL
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Disclosure: This page contains affiliate marketing links that support TLnet.

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.