• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 13:47
CEST 19:47
KST 02:47
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6857 users

What Are You Reading 2013 - Page 34

Forum Index > Media & Entertainment
Post a Reply
Prev 1 32 33 34 35 36 165 Next
Cambium
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
United States16368 Posts
February 17 2013 15:02 GMT
#661
On February 17 2013 21:52 123Gurke wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 17 2013 21:14 Cambium wrote:
Just read the wiki page on Ilium and Olympos, I think I'll read The Iliad & The Odyssey before


You should definitely start with the Iliad. It is by far the more interesting book.

I do not know about the quality and readability of English translations (assuming you will not read the original ancient Greek), but it is probably worth it to invest some research into the characteristics of different translations. Those texts are not very accessible for today's reader, so a good translation can make a huge difference. When in doubt I would opt for the more readable translation over ones that follow the original more strictly. It will be a tough read anyway (although it is definitely worth it), but you should not make your life harder than necessary. You can still read stricter translations later for the parts you really like.

I think Robert Fagle is the more well-known version for English? Anyone want to comment on this?
When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.
frogrubdown
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
1266 Posts
February 17 2013 15:03 GMT
#662
On February 17 2013 18:53 Shiragaku wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 17 2013 18:25 sam!zdat wrote:
lol that's why you're all angsty

wtf you reading heidegger son

go read somehting fun


I am actually using this book as my last chance to see if I am capable of philosophy or not.


You know, you can do philosophy without reading and writing like the most obtuse writers in history.
Shraft
Profile Joined October 2010
Sweden701 Posts
February 17 2013 15:18 GMT
#663
Should I start reading the Dresden Files or Heroes Die? I think both series look very interesting. Can't decide...
Wesso
Profile Joined August 2010
Netherlands1245 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-17 15:47:59
February 17 2013 15:42 GMT
#664
On February 18 2013 00:18 Shraft wrote:
Should I start reading the Dresden Files or Heroes Die? I think both series look very interesting. Can't decide...


They are not really comparable IMO (with which I mean that it's not a case of which one is better than the other), but I'd start with Heroes Die because Dresden Files needs 2-3 books to really get started while you can decide pretty quickly whether or not you like Heroes Die.
Sableyeah
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Netherlands2119 Posts
February 17 2013 17:19 GMT
#665
Reading 1984 by George Orwell atm

Great read so far :D Gatsby next!
BoA | Sunny | HyunA | ChoA | Hyemi // Preoccupied with a single leaf, you won't see the tree. Preoccupied with a single tree and you will miss the entire f0rest - Takuan Soho
Shiori
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
3815 Posts
February 17 2013 18:08 GMT
#666
On February 18 2013 02:19 Sableyeah wrote:
Reading 1984 by George Orwell atm

Great read so far :D Gatsby next!

Gatsby is a masterpiece of technique. The dialogue in particular is beautiful. If you take nothing else away from it, take note of the style.
Deleted User 124618
Profile Joined November 2010
1142 Posts
February 17 2013 18:18 GMT
#667
Finished (big image):
+ Show Spoiler +

[image loading]


This will be next when it arrives via mail in a few days:

[image loading]

farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
February 17 2013 18:20 GMT
#668
On February 17 2013 18:53 Shiragaku wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 17 2013 18:25 sam!zdat wrote:
lol that's why you're all angsty

wtf you reading heidegger son

go read somehting fun


I am actually using this book as my last chance to see if I am capable of philosophy or not.

Dude, don't do that. Trying to read Heideggar can be fun, at least it can be for me, but I would recommend not putting all your not-eggs in such a ridiculous basket. Not unless you speak German.......
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
Syn Harvest
Profile Joined July 2012
United States191 Posts
February 17 2013 18:40 GMT
#669
On February 18 2013 03:08 Shiori wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 18 2013 02:19 Sableyeah wrote:
Reading 1984 by George Orwell atm

Great read so far :D Gatsby next!

Gatsby is a masterpiece of technique. The dialogue in particular is beautiful. If you take nothing else away from it, take note of the style.


Agreed it is such a fantastic book I have read it four times. I might pick it up again and give it another go in a year or so
Open your heart and embrace the darkness
YoucriedWolf
Profile Joined July 2010
Sweden1456 Posts
February 17 2013 19:10 GMT
#670
On February 18 2013 00:02 Cambium wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 17 2013 21:52 123Gurke wrote:
On February 17 2013 21:14 Cambium wrote:
Just read the wiki page on Ilium and Olympos, I think I'll read The Iliad & The Odyssey before


You should definitely start with the Iliad. It is by far the more interesting book.

I do not know about the quality and readability of English translations (assuming you will not read the original ancient Greek), but it is probably worth it to invest some research into the characteristics of different translations. Those texts are not very accessible for today's reader, so a good translation can make a huge difference. When in doubt I would opt for the more readable translation over ones that follow the original more strictly. It will be a tough read anyway (although it is definitely worth it), but you should not make your life harder than necessary. You can still read stricter translations later for the parts you really like.

I think Robert Fagle is the more well-known version for English? Anyone want to comment on this?

I have the collin classics version, it's translated by Alexander Pope. That's all I know.
babylon
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
8765 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-17 19:32:44
February 17 2013 19:22 GMT
#671
On February 18 2013 00:02 Cambium wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 17 2013 21:52 123Gurke wrote:
On February 17 2013 21:14 Cambium wrote:
Just read the wiki page on Ilium and Olympos, I think I'll read The Iliad & The Odyssey before


You should definitely start with the Iliad. It is by far the more interesting book.

I do not know about the quality and readability of English translations (assuming you will not read the original ancient Greek), but it is probably worth it to invest some research into the characteristics of different translations. Those texts are not very accessible for today's reader, so a good translation can make a huge difference. When in doubt I would opt for the more readable translation over ones that follow the original more strictly. It will be a tough read anyway (although it is definitely worth it), but you should not make your life harder than necessary. You can still read stricter translations later for the parts you really like.

I think Robert Fagles is the more well-known version for English? Anyone want to comment on this?

There are two English translators that are considered a step above all others. Those two are Robert Fagles and Richmond Lattimore. Fagles is great, in my opinion, and maintains the original poetry of the work while rendering it into comprehensible sentences, but he takes some licenses with it in order to make it read like a superb English epic. If you're studying the original language and want a word for word translation, however, go with Lattimore; his version is probably the best translation and the closest you can get to the original epic, but I don't think it's as accessible as Fagles'. Some people do like Lattimore better though. You might want to crawl to a bookstore and just read the first few pages of their translations to see which one you prefer.

Don't forget to read the Aeneid as well.

Another thing to keep in mind when choosing versions is to see how useful their notes are. I think Lattimore may only provide an index of names, while Fagles provides cultural/historical tidbits in his notes, which may be useful if you are not as familiar with the epic as others are.
123Gurke
Profile Joined January 2005
France154 Posts
February 17 2013 19:22 GMT
#672
Finished:

[image loading]

That was fun, but definitely no must-read.

[image loading]

OK, too.

Reading:

Mainly

[image loading]

A German publisher is publishing new translations of the collected works of the Strugatzki brothers. So far there are five books with several novels each, but I guess they will continue publishing new books until they do not sell anymore. They have started with the more important novels, so I guess the quality will decrease over time. This colleciton is a definite recommendation for the German speakers in this thread.

I am in the second book now, rereading Roadside Picnic. Everyone should read this novel!
"No," she said, "but sometimes I like to watch."
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-17 19:36:58
February 17 2013 19:35 GMT
#673
On February 17 2013 18:53 Shiragaku wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 17 2013 18:25 sam!zdat wrote:
lol that's why you're all angsty

wtf you reading heidegger son

go read somehting fun


I am actually using this book as my last chance to see if I am capable of philosophy or not.


Are you serious??

Jesus christ grasshopper, you are thinking about everything totally upside down. If you could read that book and have any idea what half the words meant, I would declare you the world's next great philosophical prodigy. I order you to (1) stop reading that book right now and (2) stop feeling sorry for yourself, you silly twit.

On February 17 2013 21:52 123Gurke wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 17 2013 21:14 Cambium wrote:
Just read the wiki page on Ilium and Olympos, I think I'll read The Iliad & The Odyssey before


You should definitely start with the Iliad. It is by far the more interesting book.


Make sure you pay special attention to book II. There will be a test on all the ships.

On February 18 2013 04:22 babylon wrote:
Don't forget to read the Aeneid as well.


It's boring in english

On February 18 2013 04:22 123Gurke wrote:
I am in the second book now, rereading Roadside Picnic. Everyone should read this novel!


I just read it
shikata ga nai
123Gurke
Profile Joined January 2005
France154 Posts
February 17 2013 19:44 GMT
#674
On February 18 2013 04:35 sam!zdat wrote:
Make sure you pay special attention to book II. There will be a test on all the ships.


Oh yes, I had forgotten about that part... This is really the worst way of starting a book I can think of. Just skim over it and do not let it keep you from reading the rest. It will get better!

On February 18 2013 04:35 sam!zdat wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 18 2013 04:22 123Gurke wrote:
I am in the second book now, rereading Roadside Picnic. Everyone should read this novel!


I just read it


So how did you like it?
"No," she said, "but sometimes I like to watch."
babylon
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
8765 Posts
February 17 2013 19:46 GMT
#675
Well, if you don't read Aeneid (which, I agree, is boring as fuck), then you should at least read the Epic of Gilgamesh (trans. by Ben Foster or Andrew George). I think it's pretty obvious nowadays that Homer borrowed a fuck-ton of ancient Near Eastern motifs and patterns and inserted them into his poems, however he came by these ideas. (See: Martin West's East Face of Helicon.)
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-17 19:51:31
February 17 2013 19:48 GMT
#676
On February 18 2013 04:44 123Gurke wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 18 2013 04:35 sam!zdat wrote:
On February 18 2013 04:22 123Gurke wrote:
I am in the second book now, rereading Roadside Picnic. Everyone should read this novel!


I just read it


So how did you like it?



It was great. I need to go reread Jameson's essay on it now. What Strugatski should I read next?

On February 18 2013 04:46 babylon wrote:
Well, if you don't read Aeneid (which, I agree, is boring as fuck)


No no, the aeneid is a beautiful work of genius, just not in ENGLISH

On February 18 2013 04:46 babylon wrote:
I think it's pretty obvious nowadays that Homer borrowed a fuck-ton of ancient Near Eastern motifs and patterns and inserted them into his poems, however he came by these ideas. (See: Martin West's East Face of Helicon.)


see also: Herodotus, who explains how the greeks basically took all their culture from the egyptians
shikata ga nai
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
February 17 2013 19:52 GMT
#677
The Epic of Gilgamesh is definitely something everyone with an interest in the beginnings of literature should read.


I've decided it is time to retry one of the strangest books I've come upon.
[image loading]
Good ole' J R Vansant, we meet again.
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
February 17 2013 20:03 GMT
#678
froggy, I'm afraid this passage puts Latour at least provisionally in my camp:


Postmodernism is a symptom, not a fresh solution. It lives under the modern Constitution, but it no longer believes in the guarantees the Constitution offers. It senses that something has gone awry in the modern critique, but it is not able to do anything but prolong that critique, though without believing in its foundations (Lyotard, 1979). Instead of moving on to empirical studies of the networks that give meaning to the work of purification it denounces, postmodernism rejects all empirical work as illusory and deceptively scientistic (Baudrillard, 1992). Disappointed rationalists, its adepts indeed sense that modernism is done for, but they continue to accept its way of dividing up time; thus they can divide up eras only in terms of successive revolutions. They feel that they come 'after' the moderns, but with the disagreeable sentiment that there is no more 'after.' 'No future': this is the slogan added to the moderns' motto 'No past.' What remains? Disconnected instants and groundless denunciations, since the postmoderns no longer believe in the reasons that would allow them to denounce and to become indignant.
shikata ga nai
Carnivorous Sheep
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
Baa?21247 Posts
February 17 2013 20:07 GMT
#679
On February 18 2013 04:22 babylon wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 18 2013 00:02 Cambium wrote:
On February 17 2013 21:52 123Gurke wrote:
On February 17 2013 21:14 Cambium wrote:
Just read the wiki page on Ilium and Olympos, I think I'll read The Iliad & The Odyssey before


You should definitely start with the Iliad. It is by far the more interesting book.

I do not know about the quality and readability of English translations (assuming you will not read the original ancient Greek), but it is probably worth it to invest some research into the characteristics of different translations. Those texts are not very accessible for today's reader, so a good translation can make a huge difference. When in doubt I would opt for the more readable translation over ones that follow the original more strictly. It will be a tough read anyway (although it is definitely worth it), but you should not make your life harder than necessary. You can still read stricter translations later for the parts you really like.

I think Robert Fagles is the more well-known version for English? Anyone want to comment on this?

There are two English translators that are considered a step above all others. Those two are Robert Fagles and Richmond Lattimore. Fagles is great, in my opinion, and maintains the original poetry of the work while rendering it into comprehensible sentences, but he takes some licenses with it in order to make it read like a superb English epic. If you're studying the original language and want a word for word translation, however, go with Lattimore; his version is probably the best translation and the closest you can get to the original epic, but I don't think it's as accessible as Fagles'. Some people do like Lattimore better though. You might want to crawl to a bookstore and just read the first few pages of their translations to see which one you prefer.

Don't forget to read the Aeneid as well.

Another thing to keep in mind when choosing versions is to see how useful their notes are. I think Lattimore may only provide an index of names, while Fagles provides cultural/historical tidbits in his notes, which may be useful if you are not as familiar with the epic as others are.


No love for Fitzgerald?
TranslatorBaa!
babylon
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
8765 Posts
February 17 2013 20:09 GMT
#680
On February 18 2013 04:48 sam!zdat wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 18 2013 04:46 babylon wrote:
Well, if you don't read Aeneid (which, I agree, is boring as fuck)


No no, the aeneid is a beautiful work of genius, just not in ENGLISH

I do hate Latin. I can't sustain an interest in any ancient work written in Classical Latin. (Exception are English translations, of course.)

On February 18 2013 04:48 sam!zdat wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 18 2013 04:46 babylon wrote:
I think it's pretty obvious nowadays that Homer borrowed a fuck-ton of ancient Near Eastern motifs and patterns and inserted them into his poems, however he came by these ideas. (See: Martin West's East Face of Helicon.)


see also: Herodotus, who explains how the greeks basically took all their culture from the egyptians

His gold-digging ants were quite brilliant.

You're thinking way too late though. I'm talking pre-Achaemenid. (@ farv) There were so many versions of Gilgamesh, also, and before Gilgamesh, you had stories of Lugalbanda and Enmerkar, so you can't even really call Gilgamesh the first piece of "literature" either (which in any cases is a completely modern generic construction, I believe hymns and prayers also count as literature in the ANE context). I think it's a bit sad how people seem to only know about the Epic of Gilgamesh and don't really look further back. Or ... well, I don't think many people know about "When on high" either when it's arguably one of the greatest literary texts to come out of Mesopotamia. Maybe if I erroneously call it "the Babylonian Creation Myth" it'll ring more bells, and people will say, "Aha! Tiamat! That's where she comes from!"
Prev 1 32 33 34 35 36 165 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Monday Night Weeklies
16:00
#65
RotterdaM753
TKL 322
TaKeTV 255
IndyStarCraft 190
BRAT_OK 110
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 753
TKL 322
IndyStarCraft 190
MaxPax 162
ProTech138
BRAT_OK 110
UpATreeSC 86
MindelVK 19
EmSc Tv 19
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 909
EffOrt 561
Mini 529
ggaemo 177
firebathero 150
White-Ra 69
Barracks 57
910 50
Hyun 50
Shinee 45
[ Show more ]
Shine 35
Bale 26
Killer 25
Trap 22
ToSsGirL 18
soO 15
yabsab 12
Dota 2
qojqva4036
Counter-Strike
Fnx 746
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4734
crisheroes1339
Liquid`Hasu1144
Other Games
Liquid`RaSZi2558
singsing1670
B2W.Neo840
ceh9656
Beastyqt598
ArmadaUGS141
C9.Mang0116
Dewaltoss46
Trikslyr44
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream470
Other Games
BasetradeTV171
StarCraft 2
EmSc Tv 19
EmSc2Tv 19
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• mYiSmile115
• Reevou 8
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix19
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis2447
• TFBlade824
Other Games
• Shiphtur266
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
16h 13m
Afreeca Starleague
16h 13m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 6h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 17h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.