• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 09:31
CEST 15:31
KST 22:31
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)69Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror mca64Launcher 2.0
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8412 users

Classical Music

Forum Index > Media & Entertainment
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 11 12 13 Next All
Vestige
Profile Joined November 2009
United States303 Posts
February 27 2010 23:50 GMT
#1
Apparently, alot of the starcraft community finds that classical music helps them play starcraft. What classical songs are you guys listening to? Do you play any instruments? Etc.? Lets get this ball rolling :D

as for me i play trumpet and i actually just bought the sheet music to these songs





and these are by far my 3 favorite pieces/performances of alllll time





"You'd wish it were hell"
koreasilver
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
9109 Posts
February 28 2010 00:06 GMT
#2
I really really really did not like that interpretation of Libertango.
Wala.Revolution
Profile Blog Joined November 2006
7584 Posts
February 28 2010 00:12 GMT
#3
On February 28 2010 09:06 koreasilver wrote:
I really really really did not like that interpretation of Libertango.


Have to agree.
Ughhhhh.

Finally a thread like this. Hope it prospers.
Stuck.
Arco
Profile Joined September 2009
United States2090 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-02-28 00:29:35
February 28 2010 00:15 GMT
#4
I play violin. When I was a senior in high school, three other students and myself won a contest to play an end of year "senior soloist" concert with our school orchestra. It was me, a clarinet player, a marimba player, and a cellist.

I played Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto in E Minor, 1st Movement:




(last 30 or so seconds is beginning of 2nd movement)
koreasilver
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
9109 Posts
February 28 2010 00:19 GMT
#5
Nikolai Kapustin
He's one of my favourite modern day composers. His compositions are heavily influenced by jazz.






And one thing. Is this thread actually going to be about Classical music, or is this just going to be a dump thread for composers, regardless of whether they are classical or not? Because Piazolla's "Libertango" is most definitely not classical.
Wala.Revolution
Profile Blog Joined November 2006
7584 Posts
February 28 2010 00:20 GMT
#6
+ Show Spoiler +




Do you guys see professional musicians making terrible mistakes? I haven't been to any live performances, but am curious if it happens often.

Video below related

+ Show Spoiler +


Stuck.
ColdLava
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
Canada1673 Posts
February 28 2010 00:22 GMT
#7
I play piano and basically piano and music has been a huge staple in my life from the time I can remember. You'll probably find a lot of people here play piano, I would count on it ^_^ The fact that you guys play instruments alone is great, in my opinion, music is a bridge you make from yourself to the rest of the world.

As a pianist, and as cliche as it is because EVERYONE plays Beethoven, I find Beethoven the most fun to play. If I'm bored I can simply open up one of the Beethoven sonata books (he wrote 32, and the 32 sonatas are usually put into two books) and just play the sonata movement that I happen to stumble on first.

However, I have a huge amount of love for concertos, which are 3 movement pieces where an orchestra is accompanied by a solo instrument (or two, such as piano/cello). My favourite concerto is probably Beethoven's 4th concerto, especially the third movement.



My preference is Murray Perahia's version of it, because I think he is absolutely REMARKABLE in the touch he gives the piano, he just always has the right tone in what he plays, however, Alfred Brendel is another beast on the piano, as he is self taught too, and is very technical when it comes to his interpretations of the pieces.

^_^ hope you guys enjoy
Vestige
Profile Joined November 2009
United States303 Posts
February 28 2010 00:26 GMT
#8
On February 28 2010 09:12 Wala.Revolution wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 28 2010 09:06 koreasilver wrote:
I really really really did not like that interpretation of Libertango.


Have to agree.
Ughhhhh.

Finally a thread like this. Hope it prospers.


to each his own.
"You'd wish it were hell"
HyruleanTubist
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States189 Posts
February 28 2010 00:31 GMT
#9
I'm a tuba player, I've actually got my senior recital coming up at Peabody Conservatory. Here's my program:

Power, by John Stevens
Tuba Quartet



This piece I've actually recorded the top three parts, and will be playing to a tape for the recital. It'll be really cool.

Tuba Concerto, by Edward Gregson



This is one of the standards in the tuba rep. Every tuba player knows it.

Intrada, by Otto Ketting
For solo trumpet



This is a piece I ran across in high school, and really like it. Its quite mysterious yet cool.

Flute Fantasia in A Major, by Georg Philipp Telemann
For solo flute



I like the Telemann flute fantasies, so I decided to play one. I'll be playing it a little slower than the woman in the video, though..

Horn Concerto No. 1, by Richard Strauss



A really cool piece. Not the best performance, but it certainly displays Strauss's early style.

Fnugg, by Oystein Baadsvik



The video is of the composer explaining the piece as well as performing it. Going to be an awesome way to finish.


And that's it! I'm super excited, and super nervous all at once.
Captain Mayhem
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Sweden774 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-02-28 00:43:06
February 28 2010 00:36 GMT
#10
Chopin is my personal fav. Love piano. I'd appreciate if anyone knows of any like him


Other than him, I like various stuff by Liszt, Mozart and Tchaikovsky.

EDIT: OH, and I absolutely love hybrid classic (or whatever to call it). Nightwish/Sonata Arctica (opera+metal), Bond/Vanessa Mae (violins+epic music) and such.

Bond - Fuego
Gravity is just a theory anyway.
koreasilver
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
9109 Posts
February 28 2010 00:39 GMT
#11
Carl Vine's Piano Sonata No. 1 is probably my personal favourite solo piano composition. It is most definitely a modern piece and it is dissonant pretty much through the entire thing. It is very beautiful though, and the first time I heard it I was blown away by it.






I'm a big fan of Debussy and Satie from the French Impressionists. Satie is the reason I started teaching myself piano last summer.






I used to play violin when I was a child (like all Asians lol), and piano (once again). I played trumpet for a short while from middle school to early high school when I realized I didn't really like the instrument much and shortly after I picked up guitar. Now I'm trying to learn piano again, but university eats up a lot of time.
Vestige
Profile Joined November 2009
United States303 Posts
February 28 2010 00:46 GMT
#12
On February 28 2010 09:39 koreasilver wrote:
I'm a big fan of Debussy




my favorite debussy piece
"You'd wish it were hell"
ZoW
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States3983 Posts
February 28 2010 00:57 GMT
#13
so i was looking for new classical songs to add to my library a few hours ago and this thread pops up. TL always delivers
the courage to be a lazy bum
writer22816
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United States5775 Posts
February 28 2010 01:06 GMT
#14
On February 28 2010 09:22 ColdLava wrote:
As a pianist, and as cliche as it is because EVERYONE plays Beethoven, I find Beethoven the most fun to play. If I'm bored I can simply open up one of the Beethoven sonata books (he wrote 32, and the 32 sonatas are usually put into two books) and just play the sonata movement that I happen to stumble on first.


What if you stumble upon No. 29?
8/4/12 never forget, never forgive.
boesthius
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
United States11637 Posts
February 28 2010 01:23 GMT
#15
--- Nuked ---
DonnieDarko
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United States20 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-02-28 02:02:16
February 28 2010 01:37 GMT
#16
Brandenburg 4th
+ Show Spoiler +

Death and the Maiden
+ Show Spoiler +


+ Show Spoiler +
Wala.Revolution
Profile Blog Joined November 2006
7584 Posts
February 28 2010 01:51 GMT
#17
Can we keep the videos in spoilers?

All the youtube videos make the thread seem... clustered(?)
Stuck.
JohnColtrane
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
Australia4813 Posts
February 28 2010 01:51 GMT
#18
nice thread, will definitely check this stuff out
HEY MEYT
sc4k
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United Kingdom5454 Posts
February 28 2010 02:12 GMT
#19
Cool, TL does tend to have a nice wide variety of music tastes

Classical is my favourite by far. Beethoven, Bach and Rachmaninov are my favourites ^^, I have inspiring posters of them on my wall. The pieces I love most are Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring and Beethoven's 9th symphony. I have always, however, loved choral music the most. Tallis, Purcell, Handel, Taverner, Vivaldi, Moteverdi, Buxtehude etc. So here are some gems I am listening to atm:

Henry Purcell "Hear My Prayer":

+ Show Spoiler +


Rachmaninov "Ave Maria":

+ Show Spoiler +


Handel "But Who May Abide" (from the Messiah)

+ Show Spoiler +

rabidch
Profile Joined January 2010
United States20289 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-02-28 02:13:41
February 28 2010 02:12 GMT
#20
Long time piano player (asian power).
Also a recording conseisseur, particularly piano (duh), but i'm pretty good at violin concerti and symphony recommendations.

I have little if any tolerance for hybrid/crossover music.

First two parts of violin documentary on famous violinists, notably missing Kogan but it's pretty good. Throw on terrible commentary from Hilary Hahn and crazy-old-man Gitlis who-speaks-in-multiple-tongues and you get the best violin documentary out there.
+ Show Spoiler +





here's a bonus
LiquidDota StaffOnly a true king can play the King.
1 2 3 4 5 11 12 13 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
WardiTV Weekly
20:00
WardiTV Mondays #107
IntoTheiNu 1511
WardiTV719
OGKoka 235
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
OGKoka 235
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 8259
Bisu 4147
FanTaSy 2676
Jaedong 1528
Shuttle 1321
Horang2 822
EffOrt 673
BeSt 586
Larva 371
actioN 368
[ Show more ]
Mini 278
Stork 218
Mind 130
Zeus 99
Snow 99
910 88
Barracks 82
Sea.KH 65
Mong 48
hero 46
Sexy 40
ToSsGirL 36
Killer 29
soO 29
Yoon 28
Bale 26
Shinee 26
JYJ 23
sorry 23
Aegong 18
Free 18
Shine 18
HiyA 17
scan(afreeca) 14
zelot 12
Sacsri 11
Noble 7
Icarus 6
Dota 2
Gorgc4508
qojqva1862
Dendi1075
XaKoH 491
febbydoto23
Counter-Strike
fl0m1327
Heroes of the Storm
Lowko428
Other Games
singsing2773
olofmeister1244
hiko941
B2W.Neo649
Livibee565
crisheroes372
XBOCT249
Pyrionflax223
Hui .186
Liquid`VortiX125
QueenE37
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream27
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• LUISG 19
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 10
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis2326
• Jankos1964
Other Games
• WagamamaTV179
Upcoming Events
Monday Night Weeklies
2h 29m
Replay Cast
9h 29m
Afreeca Starleague
20h 29m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
21h 29m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 10h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.