• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 02:36
CEST 08:36
KST 15:36
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8394 users

Classical Music - Page 4

Forum Index > Media & Entertainment
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12 13 Next All
rabidch
Profile Joined January 2010
United States20289 Posts
March 01 2010 00:35 GMT
#61
On March 01 2010 06:36 phosphorylation wrote:
Good thread
I am a pretty serious pianist so I know my stuff relatively well.
I would like to post arguably the best recording of any piano piece in the entire recorded history.

And I don't even like Horowitz that much, aside from this recording.
Remarkable playing.

Good choice, one of my favorite Liszt Sonata recordings although I probably have four other favorites, maybe more. Richter 1960, Gilels 1966, Levy, Barere...
Here Barere charges through the Liszt Sonata fugato at blazing speed and still somehow manages to make sense of the melodic line.


I don't like Horowitz that much either, but his reputation is well deserved.
+ Show Spoiler +

+ Show Spoiler +
LiquidDota StaffOnly a true king can play the King.
Vestige
Profile Joined November 2009
United States303 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-03-01 01:22:25
March 01 2010 01:21 GMT
#62
On March 01 2010 06:22 TheMusiC wrote:
i got into the peabody/jhu double degree program but i didn't go, do i still count?!

also, OBLIGATORY LAST MOVEMENT OF BEETHOVEN 9 GREATEST PIECE EVER WRITTEN

and can we get some mahler 5/6 up in here


hell yeah we can get some mahler 5. my favorite mahler :D lol typical trumpet player

+ Show Spoiler +


god i love that opening solo
"You'd wish it were hell"
ella_guru
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Canada1741 Posts
March 01 2010 03:39 GMT
#63
On February 28 2010 10:23 boesthius wrote:
i'm a classical guitar player - it's my major atm and i absolutely love Barrios' works. i'm working on La Catedral right now for my junior recital. the 3rd movement is a bitch, pure tremolo T_T




Hey , I study too!


Jungle man mangore ftw!
Each day gets better : )
Deleted User 31060
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
3788 Posts
March 01 2010 03:53 GMT
#64






I could go on for days; I study classical saxophone @ oberlin, and I love classical music!
Peaked at C- on ICCUP and proud of it! @Sunyveil
koreasilver
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
9109 Posts
March 01 2010 05:57 GMT
#65
The Schubert-Liszt Ave Maria was a lot better than I was expecting. There's so many videos posted to go through and it's really awesome.
aokces
Profile Joined October 2006
United States309 Posts
March 01 2010 06:08 GMT
#66
Anyone know any good FREE sheet music sites?
I've found this to be decent so far:

http://imslp.org/wiki/Main_Page
Papvin
Profile Joined May 2009
Denmark612 Posts
March 01 2010 06:11 GMT
#67
On February 28 2010 10:23 boesthius wrote:
i'm a classical guitar player - it's my major atm and i absolutely love Barrios' works. i'm working on La Catedral right now for my junior recital. the 3rd movement is a bitch, pure tremolo T_T

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeyfG5TWpfY

This is so beautiful! Can you recommend any of your favourite albums, or is he the kind of musician who only makes masterpieces ?
"It's criminally negligent to dismiss Rock's contributions to other people's careers", Dukethegold
koreasilver
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
9109 Posts
March 01 2010 06:13 GMT
#68
He didn't compose that piece... :S
d3_crescentia
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States4054 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-03-01 06:17:35
March 01 2010 06:16 GMT
#69
On March 01 2010 12:53 Sunyveil wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RO_ZyKrDs7M


man I am so glad you posted this Dayv

I fell in love with this song my freshman (or maybe sophomore) year with Johannes playing

I thought you wanted to quit sax (or one of your other majors); what happened?

EDIT: and you posted Passapied from Suite Bergamasque? I don't really like it as much as the other songs in the suite; much prefer Prelude/Clair de Lune >_>
once, not long ago, there was a moon here
Spinfusor
Profile Joined June 2007
Australia410 Posts
March 01 2010 06:17 GMT
#70
On March 01 2010 09:35 rabidch wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 01 2010 06:36 phosphorylation wrote:
Good thread
I am a pretty serious pianist so I know my stuff relatively well.
I would like to post arguably the best recording of any piano piece in the entire recorded history.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKg81QJ1zLY
And I don't even like Horowitz that much, aside from this recording.
Remarkable playing.

Good choice, one of my favorite Liszt Sonata recordings although I probably have four other favorites, maybe more. Richter 1960,

Do you mean the one on Philips mislabeled Budapest 1960, but is actually Carnegie Hall 1965? If so, I agree that's a ridiculously good recording (sound quality aside).
mrgerry
Profile Joined September 2008
United States1508 Posts
March 01 2010 06:18 GMT
#71
+ Show Spoiler +
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqCEhmqsSnY

I can't say I focus alot of my listening to Classical music but I've listened to Totentanz by Franz Liszt way too many times. I'm sorry to post a live version I really like giving people audio versions their first time through so they don't get distracted. If you got 14 minutes I really advise you to give it a full listen the build up is amazing. Maybe I'm just a sucker for over the top endings I dunno ^_^

+ Show Spoiler +
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDN8NzIGz-Y


Been a long time fan of Philip Glass. Composers who make me change how to listen to music just stick with me. There's alot of work I love from him but the first 2 parts of Glassworks is what made me a fan.

Nice thread I'll get through some more of it during my break between classes tomorrow gotta finish this reading before bed -_-

knyttym
Profile Blog Joined December 2006
United States5797 Posts
March 01 2010 06:18 GMT
#72


listen to it pretty often while playing sc
Others include Beethoven's 5th and 9th symphony
rabidch
Profile Joined January 2010
United States20289 Posts
March 01 2010 08:25 GMT
#73
On March 01 2010 15:17 Spinfusor wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 01 2010 09:35 rabidch wrote:
On March 01 2010 06:36 phosphorylation wrote:
Good thread
I am a pretty serious pianist so I know my stuff relatively well.
I would like to post arguably the best recording of any piano piece in the entire recorded history.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKg81QJ1zLY
And I don't even like Horowitz that much, aside from this recording.
Remarkable playing.

Good choice, one of my favorite Liszt Sonata recordings although I probably have four other favorites, maybe more. Richter 1960,

Do you mean the one on Philips mislabeled Budapest 1960, but is actually Carnegie Hall 1965? If so, I agree that's a ridiculously good recording (sound quality aside).

Yes, I don't really care about sound quality unless it starts hurting my ears...
LiquidDota StaffOnly a true king can play the King.
pathy
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
Taiwan619 Posts
March 01 2010 08:41 GMT
#74

Wagner's best overture imo. So fucking epic.


makes me chilly everytime i listen to it


Graphicscolosi suck
Chromyne
Profile Joined January 2008
Canada561 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-03-01 15:04:27
March 01 2010 14:17 GMT
#75
On February 28 2010 09:19 koreasilver wrote:
Nikolai Kapustin
He's one of my favourite modern day composers. His compositions are heavily influenced by jazz.
+ Show Spoiler +





Uh, why are we not friends? When I get a hold of a piano, I'm going to start seriously learning many of his pieces.

Someone recently posted his Trio for Flute, Cello, and Piano on YouTube (I'm listening to it now, the performance isn't that good =/ I can provide you with a better recording). I was hooked on this for nearly a year! It helped me through exams =)



EDIT: I am a classically trained pianist, I dabble into guitar and played French horn in my high school band.
Soli Deo gloria.
Carnivorous Sheep
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
Baa?21247 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-03-01 22:23:00
March 01 2010 22:00 GMT
#76
Schubert's Tragic Symphony is easily one of the most underrated and underperformed symphonies of all time IMO. In fact, Schubert is grossly underrated as a composer. In many regards, he is vastly superior to both Mozart and Beethoven.

+ Show Spoiler +


Not my favorite interpretation, but it's still pretty good. The lack of quality Schubert symphonies on Youtube is quite disappointing.

I am a big fan of the romantic movement, and I would rate my top five composers as something like:

1. Beethoven/Schubert
2. Beethoven/Schubert
3. Liszt
4. Tchaikovsky
5. And here is where it gets difficult because I get reminded of who I'd have to leave out. :3 Brahms, Mendelssohn, Bruckner, Vivaldi, and many others could all belong here.

Beyond my favorite, symphonic and orchestral repertoire, I'm also quite fond of piano repertoire. For interpreters of Beethoven and Schubert's piano sonatas, I would say Brendel and Kempff are without equal. Rubinstein is spectacular in some pieces and boring in others (his Chopin is basically all top-notch though), and I (forgive me) find Horowitz quite bland overall.

I think one of the reasons I enjoy Brendel and Kempff so much is that the former firmly believes in conveying the will of the composer and not the artist in a performance, so I feel that often, the true intentions of the composers shine through quite well. Kempff adheres to a similar belief from what I've heard, and I would say that he can achieve the cliche "passion and feeling" in a performance without compromising the integrity of the music. To continue my Horowitz hate, I find that he embellishes too much of his own intent into the piece, and often needlessly integrates rubato.

Amazing Moonlight by Brendel 3rd:
+ Show Spoiler +


I saw a few Karajan videos earlier - while Karajan did do great work and have a wide repertoire, many would agree that some of his recordings left much to be desired. Karajan was at his best conducting the late romantics such as Strauss and Bruckner. Under Abbado, the Berlin Philharmonic, I felt, achieved a clearer and more piercing sound, which I prefer.

My all-time favorite conductor would, from what I've heard, definitely Evgeny Mravinsky. The precision and clarity and control he achieved with the Leningrad Philharmonic was easily without par. It's a pity that he spent much of his professional life in Leningrad and received very little exposure beyond the few tours he made to western Europe. This is easily one of the best B4's out there:

+ Show Spoiler +




For those of you who, like me, love Beethoven and Schubert's symphonies, I highly recommend checking out Frans Bruggen and the Orhcestra of the 18th Century. A period ensemble, they nonetheless produce such a vast sound, and their Schubert cycle is one of my all-time favorites, and his Beethoven cycle (recorded live,) was also superb. I personally have always felt that the prevailing view of portraying Schubert's symphonies, especially his earlier ones, as simple, light, Mozart-esque forays to be quite insulting, and Bruggen captures the sheer emotional intensity present in them better than any I've seen. For my favorite, the fourth, however, I think that the separation of sounds was a bit off and I would recommend Ricardo Muti conducting the Vienna Philharmonic.

Here's a taste of Bruggen:

+ Show Spoiler +

---

That was my random rabblings, reading back it seems quite disjointed haha. Having just one umbrella "classical music thread" seems so...over-generalizing D:
TranslatorBaa!
Carnivorous Sheep
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
Baa?21247 Posts
March 01 2010 22:57 GMT
#77
Oh, today is also Chopin's 200th birthday. Happy birthday Frederic!
TranslatorBaa!
Comeh
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States18919 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-03-01 23:34:50
March 01 2010 23:33 GMT
#78
Hm, I'm surprised no one has had anything on Stravinsky. To me, The Rite of Spring (particularly the first movement) is one of the most interesting, most fascinating pieces I have ever heard. No other piece holds my attention quite like The Rite of Spring. Unfortunately, not being a huge classical music fan (well, rather, I don't spend as much time listening to it as I should), I'm not as wonderful at finding good interpretations of it as some of you guys might be. However, I'll post a youtube just for the sake of it
Stravinsky - Rite of Spring + Show Spoiler +
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgHMpYsv0_0

Oh, happy birthday Chopin~! In 7th grade, you were always my favorite composer for your name alone :D!
ヽ(⌐■_■)ノヽ(⌐■_■)ノヽ(⌐■_■)ノヽ(⌐■_■)ノヽ(⌐■_■)ノヽ(⌐■_■)ノDELETE ICEFROGヽ(⌐■_■)ノヽ(⌐■_■)ノヽ(⌐■_■)ノヽ(⌐■_■)ノヽ(⌐■_■)ノヽ(⌐■_■)ノヽ(
Carnivorous Sheep
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
Baa?21247 Posts
March 01 2010 23:45 GMT
#79
The advantage of a recent composer is that there are recordings of Stravinsky himslf conducting the Rite of Spring, I suggest you check it out. If anything it's at least the most "authoritative" interpretation.
TranslatorBaa!
koreasilver
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
9109 Posts
March 01 2010 23:45 GMT
#80
I really haven't listened to much Schubert before. I'll give a thorough listening to the stuff you posted, Sheep, when I get back home.

I've listened to a lot of Stravinsky, and I can see that he was one of the most important composers of recent times, but his music just doesn't really appeal to me as much as some of the other recent composers. I have a lot of reservations in calling minimalist composers as classical, but when it comes to recent composers I have a soft spot for minimalists, mainly due to Steve Reich and Arvo Part.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12 13 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
Continental Nation League S1
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
NeuroSwarm 253
ProTech127
Nina 113
StarCraft: Brood War
Mong 185
Dewaltoss 132
Bale 35
sSak 32
ZergMaN 21
NotJumperer 11
Noble 11
Icarus 7
League of Legends
JimRising 652
Other Games
summit1g10849
Sick200
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick793
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream42
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Letter145
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Rush1237
• Lourlo1110
• Stunt622
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
3h 24m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
4h 24m
Monday Night Weeklies
9h 24m
Replay Cast
16h 24m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 3h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 4h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 17h
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.