• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 10:06
CEST 16:06
KST 23:06
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)69Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror mca64Launcher 2.0
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8206 users

Classical Music - Page 5

Forum Index > Media & Entertainment
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12 13 Next All
broz0rs
Profile Joined July 2008
United States2294 Posts
March 02 2010 00:23 GMT
#81
+ Show Spoiler +


not for everybody, but it's one of my favorite performances ever!
nosliw
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
United States2716 Posts
March 02 2010 03:15 GMT
#82
I play 4 instruments, mostly for recreational purposes: violin, piano, flute and guitar. Violin and flute are mostly classical style; classical piano is too hard to play, so I stick with pop/improv; guitar is mostly for church songs.
nosliw
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
United States2716 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-03-02 03:16:52
March 02 2010 03:16 GMT
#83
Does anyone have good cello solo (only cello, no orchestra or piano accompaniment) recommendations? PM me if you happen to have the link to the song.
Kenpachi
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States9908 Posts
March 02 2010 03:20 GMT
#84
Piano has to be the most enjoyable instrument of them all. Classic Piano is also SUPER FUN to play (im a noob. i play like shit but its so fun) One piece i wanna learn is
+ Show Spoiler +

If some people know any other piece that sounds like this, please link >< Im looking for a certain piece that i forgot how it sounds but was the most amazing from what i recall.
Nada's body is South Korea's greatest weapon.
Spinfusor
Profile Joined June 2007
Australia410 Posts
March 02 2010 13:51 GMT
#85
On March 02 2010 12:16 nosliw wrote:
Does anyone have good cello solo (only cello, no orchestra or piano accompaniment) recommendations? PM me if you happen to have the link to the song.

The Bach Cello Suites are pretty much the only thing pre-1900 I can think of. Kodaly, Hindemith and Ligeti have sonatas. Britten, Block, Reger and Shostakovich have sets of 3 suites. Nothing much else immediately comes to mind. I'm very fond of the Britten, Kodaly and Ligeti.

Sorry, I can't upload anything (on a 5GB per month connection).

On March 02 2010 12:20 Kenpachi wrote:
Piano has to be the most enjoyable instrument of them all. Classic Piano is also SUPER FUN to play (im a noob. i play like shit but its so fun) One piece i wanna learn is
+ Show Spoiler +
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z5d2hg0AGU

If some people know any other piece that sounds like this, please link >< Im looking for a certain piece that i forgot how it sounds but was the most amazing from what i recall.

Hmm could you elaborate. Perhaps the first movement of Beethoven's Op. 111 would suit (On Youtube: Richter at Leipzig or Annie Fisher should both do).
CakeOrI)eath
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
United States327 Posts
March 02 2010 14:13 GMT
#86

Best intro ever.

PS: @OP- I play trumpet too, but I cannot stand Alison Balsom's interpretation of anything. She has the technique but no style at all! Check out Phil Smith's version of legend please!
Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
Carnivorous Sheep
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
Baa?21247 Posts
March 04 2010 06:49 GMT
#87
Happy birthday to Antonio Vivaldi!
TranslatorBaa!
deeshoo
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States319 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-23 13:09:52
February 23 2011 12:57 GMT
#88
I can't believe Korean Music Discussion and Heavy Metal Discussion are still fresh but this isn't. Shame on you all.

Mendelssohn Octet! (skip to like :25 lol)


Mahler 2nd finale with Bernstein and the London Phil. Seriously, fucking, grand.


Schoenberg's Verklarte Nacht by Chamber Music Society


Brahm's Piano Quartet in G minor (op.25), orchestrated by Schoenberg


FYI: I'm a violist, hopefully gonna be in grad school soon
gl hf :D
Daliniues
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada117 Posts
February 25 2011 20:08 GMT
#89


Can't believe I forgot about this thread, Shame indeed for letting it fall to such a state. Good luck in grad school!
Carnivorous Sheep
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
Baa?21247 Posts
February 25 2011 20:16 GMT
#90
On February 23 2011 21:57 deeshoo wrote:
I can't believe Korean Music Discussion and Heavy Metal Discussion are still fresh but this isn't. Shame on you all.


Well, the thing is that ____ music threads always tend to just become people posting Youtube videos. Now while this might be an OK format for sharing/discovering new music for other genres, I feel like it doesn't really function well with classical. Especially for people who already are familiar with classical, specific performances and recordings become important, as opposed to just any Youtube video of Beethoven's fifth.

And let's be honest, how many of you actually go through these kind of threads and listen to every video :3
TranslatorBaa!
iNbluE
Profile Joined January 2011
Switzerland674 Posts
February 25 2011 20:36 GMT
#91
Wooh! Great to have a thread like that. I've been playing the piano for 18 years now (I'm 25). I'm listening to classical music all the time and of course, a lot of piano. I'm quite fond of the cello too. My latest pieces were Chopin's Sonata for piano and cello, and rachmaninov's symphonic danse number one.
Here you can find our interpretation of the sonata. It wasn't perfect at all at the time of the recording. The begining is fine, but the end... Ugh!

I've also played the chopin piano concerto no. 1 in E minor (1st movement), my all time favorite piece.
Well, glad I found that thread
Cheers fellow nerd musicians!
ლ(╹◡╹ლ)
mprs
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada2933 Posts
February 25 2011 21:02 GMT
#92
On February 26 2011 05:16 Carnivorous Sheep wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 23 2011 21:57 deeshoo wrote:
I can't believe Korean Music Discussion and Heavy Metal Discussion are still fresh but this isn't. Shame on you all.


Well, the thing is that ____ music threads always tend to just become people posting Youtube videos. Now while this might be an OK format for sharing/discovering new music for other genres, I feel like it doesn't really function well with classical. Especially for people who already are familiar with classical, specific performances and recordings become important, as opposed to just any Youtube video of Beethoven's fifth.

And let's be honest, how many of you actually go through these kind of threads and listen to every video :3


I do

I'm a piano player so my classical music that I listen to constitute of anything not piano lol. This is probably one of my all time favorites

We talkin about PRACTICE
Trombpwn
Profile Joined December 2010
United States20 Posts
February 25 2011 21:10 GMT
#93
I just performed Ravel's Daphnis and Chloe with Peabody Symphony Orchestra this Tuesday. It's an incredible piece. I'll just post the first part, and anyone intrigued enough to hear more can look into it himself. You really have to hear it all the way through to fully appreciate it. Anyway here it is...



I don't know if this is a good performance or not, because I'm uploading it from work, and can't listen to it. Hopefully it does Ravel justice.
deeshoo
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States319 Posts
February 25 2011 21:11 GMT
#94
On February 26 2011 05:16 Carnivorous Sheep wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 23 2011 21:57 deeshoo wrote:
I can't believe Korean Music Discussion and Heavy Metal Discussion are still fresh but this isn't. Shame on you all.


Well, the thing is that ____ music threads always tend to just become people posting Youtube videos. Now while this might be an OK format for sharing/discovering new music for other genres, I feel like it doesn't really function well with classical. Especially for people who already are familiar with classical, specific performances and recordings become important, as opposed to just any Youtube video of Beethoven's fifth.


Of course, this is totally true, my posted videos were very specific performances/artists
gl hf :D
rabidch
Profile Joined January 2010
United States20289 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-25 21:30:09
February 25 2011 21:26 GMT
#95
On February 26 2011 05:16 Carnivorous Sheep wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 23 2011 21:57 deeshoo wrote:
I can't believe Korean Music Discussion and Heavy Metal Discussion are still fresh but this isn't. Shame on you all.


Well, the thing is that ____ music threads always tend to just become people posting Youtube videos. Now while this might be an OK format for sharing/discovering new music for other genres, I feel like it doesn't really function well with classical. Especially for people who already are familiar with classical, specific performances and recordings become important, as opposed to just any Youtube video of Beethoven's fifth.

And let's be honest, how many of you actually go through these kind of threads and listen to every video :3

so true

i found it funny this is featured in an active thread.





nothing like watching pollini put his elbows into it.




edit:

and i guess ill ask, how many of you think this is music and how many of you enjoy it?
LiquidDota StaffOnly a true king can play the King.
refmac_cys.cys
Profile Joined June 2010
United States177 Posts
February 26 2011 01:18 GMT
#96
Play cello. Love all the great cello concertos, as well as one or two more obscure pieces. Also a big fan of the greats among chamber music, borodin, brahms, mendelssohn, etc.
+ Show Spoiler +
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuhJjdCgPcs




The Francouer sonata does not, I think, get enough recognition, if you listen to it in its entirety, it is quite a stunning piece of music.
my helicopter example is less stupid than your helicopter example - Liquid'Drone
Carnivorous Sheep
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
Baa?21247 Posts
February 26 2011 07:35 GMT
#97
I decided that I haven't listened to enough Beethoven, so I am on a quest to listen to as many different recordings of the Beethoven symphonies as possible. Currently, I have a dozen complete sets with a handful of individual symphonies, and I'm definitely still missing quite a few legendary/recommended recordings. Now I know most of the famous ones I'm missing, but I also want to find the hidden gems.

I would ask any of you with any opinion on the matter to chime in and give me ONE recording for each Beethoven symphony that you think is obscure/underrated/uncommon but you still think is amazing. Taking all suggestions ^^
TranslatorBaa!
zqfmgb
Profile Joined July 2010
United States34 Posts
February 26 2011 07:40 GMT
#98
^
I recommend Toscanini's rendition of the 9th.
rabidch
Profile Joined January 2010
United States20289 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-26 07:58:21
February 26 2011 07:44 GMT
#99
On February 26 2011 16:35 Carnivorous Sheep wrote:
I decided that I haven't listened to enough Beethoven, so I am on a quest to listen to as many different recordings of the Beethoven symphonies as possible. Currently, I have a dozen complete sets with a handful of individual symphonies, and I'm definitely still missing quite a few legendary/recommended recordings. Now I know most of the famous ones I'm missing, but I also want to find the hidden gems.

I would ask any of you with any opinion on the matter to chime in and give me ONE recording for each Beethoven symphony that you think is obscure/underrated/uncommon but you still think is amazing. Taking all suggestions ^^

not really "hidden gems", but
rene leibowitz, scherchen, david zinman.


monteux, cluytens also. again, not really hidden gems but if you dont know these conductors you really should.
LiquidDota StaffOnly a true king can play the King.
Carnivorous Sheep
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
Baa?21247 Posts
February 26 2011 18:19 GMT
#100
On February 26 2011 16:40 zqfmgb wrote:
^
I recommend Toscanini's rendition of the 9th.


Which one? I have both of his NBC Orchestra cycles, but am still on the hunt for all the ones he made with the NY Phil, and I'd assume he recorded the ninth with them too.


On February 26 2011 16:44 rabidch wrote:

monteux, cluytens also. again, not really hidden gems but if you dont know these conductors you really should.


Haven't heard of Cluytens before, thanks. Any particular symphony he does really well?
TranslatorBaa!
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12 13 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
WardiTV Weekly
20:00
WardiTV Mondays #107
IntoTheiNu 1526
WardiTV869
OGKoka 254
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
OGKoka 254
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 8178
Bisu 2196
Shuttle 1208
Jaedong 1160
Horang2 775
BeSt 496
EffOrt 491
Larva 439
actioN 295
Stork 295
[ Show more ]
Mini 242
Mind 163
910 103
Zeus 99
Barracks 89
Snow 76
Mong 65
hero 56
Shinee 40
sorry 36
ToSsGirL 33
JYJ 30
Bale 29
Killer 27
Aegong 26
Sexy 26
Shine 22
soO 21
HiyA 19
Free 14
scan(afreeca) 12
Terrorterran 10
zelot 10
Sacsri 9
Noble 6
Icarus 5
Dota 2
Gorgc5192
qojqva2005
Dendi1136
febbydoto43
Counter-Strike
fl0m2375
Heroes of the Storm
Lowko446
Other Games
singsing2874
olofmeister1219
hiko1000
B2W.Neo805
Livibee476
crisheroes351
XBOCT288
Hui .232
Pyrionflax216
XaKoH 204
Liquid`VortiX162
TKL 7
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream29
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• LUISG 29
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 31
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis2790
• Jankos2023
Upcoming Events
Monday Night Weeklies
1h 54m
Replay Cast
8h 54m
Afreeca Starleague
19h 54m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
20h 54m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 9h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.