• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:05
CEST 11:05
KST 18:05
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War435.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror TL Sidebar missing streams Bot on ladder Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10342 users

Simple Questions, Simple Answers - Page 134

Forum Index > Dota 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 132 133 134 135 136 1254 Next
PassiveAce
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
United States18076 Posts
June 13 2012 14:08 GMT
#2661
On June 13 2012 21:56 Archas wrote:
Heya, guys. Given how insanely popular DotA II is, there comes a point where I, as a consumer of e-Sports, want to give it a try. Unfortunately, not only do I not have a beta key, but I also don't have the time or hardware to begin playing and improving at DotA II either, so a beta key would be wasted on me anyway. Therefore, I want to get into watching the game.

I tried watching a stream by somebody named "Tobi Wan Kenobi" who seems to be a wildly popular caster of the game. Despite my best efforts to remain engaged with the casting, I simply couldn't understand anything that was going on. I know some basic DotA terms and such, like what a BKB is, or what it means to deny, or why Roshan is important. The problem is that I feel like I need to have intimate knowledge of EVERY hero and EVERY item to fully enjoy and appreciate the game of DotA II as a spectator sport, and that seems like sheer busywork to learn and memorize if you're not a player.

Given that I do not have the means to PLAY DotA II, I ask this of you, TeamLiquid: what is the best way for an aspiring spectator of DotA II to learn more about the game to appreciate it more? If I can't absorb the knowledge I need through more streamwatching, should I just man up and use a wiki or something?

hey if your computer can run arma II it can probably run dota :p
The best way to learn dota is to play it, failing that, reading wikis and watching player streams is a good way to learn about heroes and mechanics. Most of the casters are not like starcraft casters in that they do not really slow down to provide commentary for newbs, you kind of just have to keep pace with them. Before I got my key I started watching good players stream and I was able to learn an enormous amount.

The big problem is that DOTA is a game of exceptions rather then rules, so the best way to learn the subtle things about the game is to experience it yourself. (or watch dendi experience them).

when/if you get a key and the means and time to play it, send me a pm and we can queue together and il show you the ropes
Call me Marge Simpson cuz I love you homie
Chakoi
Profile Joined June 2012
United Kingdom81 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-14 00:42:36
June 14 2012 00:38 GMT
#2662
lol, 2 years of LoL.

Moved to dota 2.. Played like 160 odd hours already. I remember/know most of the stuff )

I just curious how this game will go into esports future

You will know if you like dota 2 once you played a few matches. If you feel nothing. It means you haven't got the interest in the game really

I learnt the game by keep pumping out games and keep playing while learning, It was quite easy as I am not that new so the learning curve wasn't that "Steep" for meh :/

What separates a really high skilled player from a average player?
The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires
JosephAM
Profile Joined October 2010
Canada131 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-14 00:46:32
June 14 2012 00:44 GMT
#2663
1) Is the matchmaking win count based? Or is there an MMR system like SC2?
2) Is there a way to make the camera pan like... instant? I mean right now there seems to be some sort of smoothing/delay on it.

Edit:
3) Is there some sort of Day9 for Dota 2?
PunitiveDamages
Profile Joined June 2009
United States131 Posts
June 14 2012 00:47 GMT
#2664
On June 13 2012 21:56 Archas wrote:
Heya, guys. Given how insanely popular DotA II is, there comes a point where I, as a consumer of e-Sports, want to give it a try. Unfortunately, not only do I not have a beta key, but I also don't have the time or hardware to begin playing and improving at DotA II either, so a beta key would be wasted on me anyway. Therefore, I want to get into watching the game.

I tried watching a stream by somebody named "Tobi Wan Kenobi" who seems to be a wildly popular caster of the game. Despite my best efforts to remain engaged with the casting, I simply couldn't understand anything that was going on. I know some basic DotA terms and such, like what a BKB is, or what it means to deny, or why Roshan is important. The problem is that I feel like I need to have intimate knowledge of EVERY hero and EVERY item to fully enjoy and appreciate the game of DotA II as a spectator sport, and that seems like sheer busywork to learn and memorize if you're not a player.

Given that I do not have the means to PLAY DotA II, I ask this of you, TeamLiquid: what is the best way for an aspiring spectator of DotA II to learn more about the game to appreciate it more? If I can't absorb the knowledge I need through more streamwatching, should I just man up and use a wiki or something?


As someone who watches a lot of dota2, but has played a grand total of like 30 hours of 1 and 2 together, my solution was as follows:

Watch the tobiwan VODs where he casts with someone else (they usually explain technical details). Whenever I didn't know what a hero or ability did, I looked it up on the dota2 wiki. This should be enough to get working knowledge of most aspects of the game.
Its not going to help with understanding ward placements or why certain item builds are situationaly better/etc, but its fine for understanding the majority of the game.
BW forever
AiurOG
Profile Joined March 2011
United States98 Posts
June 14 2012 01:06 GMT
#2665
On June 14 2012 09:44 JosephAM wrote:
1) Is the matchmaking win count based? Or is there an MMR system like SC2?
2) Is there a way to make the camera pan like... instant? I mean right now there seems to be some sort of smoothing/delay on it.

Edit:
3) Is there some sort of Day9 for Dota 2?


Matchmaking is currently based on a loose MMR structure, where you start off in the tier you picked (High/Med/Low skill) and progressively get your position adjusted. The only way I know of to find out what tier you're currently in is to search your own name in the recent match tab and filter for the levels to see where you lie.

If you want to instantly zoom in on your hero you can double tap F1, you can do the same for F2(courier) or any of your 1-9 control groups.

As far as webshow personalities, i'm unaware of anyone explicitly educational, but there are many good streams and guides that will offer you a wealth of resources at Joindota.com and Playdota.com (Guides for DotA1 are almost 100% accurate for DotA2 and are definitely worth a read)
hunts
Profile Joined September 2010
United States2113 Posts
June 14 2012 01:59 GMT
#2666
Can the treasure chest keys be found by playing? I got some treasure chest after a game and when I mouse over it it says "requires key which can be bought at the steam store." So does this mean the keys can only be bought? Or do they drop too but they just tell you that you CAN buy them?
twitch.tv/huntstv 7x legend streamer
Fishgle
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
United States2174 Posts
June 14 2012 02:11 GMT
#2667
On June 14 2012 10:59 hunts wrote:
Can the treasure chest keys be found by playing? I got some treasure chest after a game and when I mouse over it it says "requires key which can be bought at the steam store." So does this mean the keys can only be bought? Or do they drop too but they just tell you that you CAN buy them?

Keys MUST be bought. That's why you get so many chests - so you have something always teasing you to spend money on.
aka ChillyGonzalo / GnozL
infussle
Profile Joined March 2010
United Kingdom66 Posts
June 14 2012 03:03 GMT
#2668
does quelling blade work on sylla's bear? and how does it interact with his ult?
5-s
Profile Joined June 2010
United States1674 Posts
June 14 2012 03:32 GMT
#2669
On June 14 2012 12:03 infussle wrote:
does quelling blade work on sylla's bear? and how does it interact with his ult?

Works. it's 32% when he's in bear form on his hero - always 32% on his bear.
I liked Dota before it was Mainstream.
rabidch
Profile Joined January 2010
United States20289 Posts
June 14 2012 05:07 GMT
#2670
On June 14 2012 09:38 Chakoi wrote:
lol, 2 years of LoL.

Moved to dota 2.. Played like 160 odd hours already. I remember/know most of the stuff )

I just curious how this game will go into esports future

You will know if you like dota 2 once you played a few matches. If you feel nothing. It means you haven't got the interest in the game really

I learnt the game by keep pumping out games and keep playing while learning, It was quite easy as I am not that new so the learning curve wasn't that "Steep" for meh :/

What separates a really high skilled player from a average player?

what separates really high skilled players from average is basically how well they decision-make and so abuse the game. knowing what to do in every situation, last hit and misc. animation timing, unit and spell positioning, knowing how to use item and skill builds better, knowing how other people, teammates and enemies play and using that to their advantage, and general misc knowledge about the game mechanics/engine
LiquidDota StaffOnly a true king can play the King.
EchelonTee
Profile Joined February 2011
United States5262 Posts
June 14 2012 10:26 GMT
#2671
how can I use non-hero items like courier on all heroes? For ex: I want to use the custom couriers on CM, not sure how.
aka "neophyte". learn lots. dont judge. laugh for no reason. be nice. seek happiness. -D[9]
5-s
Profile Joined June 2010
United States1674 Posts
June 14 2012 10:46 GMT
#2672
On June 14 2012 19:26 EchelonTee wrote:
how can I use non-hero items like courier on all heroes? For ex: I want to use the custom couriers on CM, not sure how.

Just find a hero with customizable items and equip it
I liked Dota before it was Mainstream.
Goshawk.
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United Kingdom5338 Posts
June 14 2012 11:54 GMT
#2673
Do playdota.com giveaway keys from the forums still contain 1 key+2 invites or just only 1 key?
chocopaw
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
2072 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-14 13:43:38
June 14 2012 13:28 GMT
#2674
Just played a game with a friend and he mentioned that he used to stack crits, aka buying Daedalus on Mortred for example. Is that still/was it ever possible? I can't remember.

And as I'm here already: The lifesteal from Vladmirs does not count as an orb, so you could go Deso as well, is that right?
http://twitter.com/lechocopaw
Goshawk.
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United Kingdom5338 Posts
June 14 2012 13:39 GMT
#2675
Yes, deso+vlads lifesteal work perfectly fine together.

http://www.dota2wiki.com/wiki/Unique_Attack_Modifier
chocopaw
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
2072 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-14 13:45:56
June 14 2012 13:45 GMT
#2676
Thanks Goshawk.

My other question got answered there as well:
Items that chance stack are each given an opportunity to apply their effects, in reverse order of acquisition. If a Hero buys a Crystalys, and then a Daedalus, on every hit the Hero has a 25% chance of receiving the Daedalus critical damage, a 20% chance of receiving the Crystalys critical damage, and a 5% chance of receiving both. Unlike the independent stacking case, if both effects are received the Daedalus overrides the Crystalys because it was purchased last.

http://www.dota2wiki.com/wiki/Item_Passive_Stacking#Chance_Stacking

Don't wanna get hit by that. <.<
http://twitter.com/lechocopaw
Erasme
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Bahamas15899 Posts
June 14 2012 14:06 GMT
#2677
? ^
The critical % doesn't stack. What do you mean ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7lxwFEB6FI “‘Drain the swamp’? Stupid saying, means nothing, but you guys loved it so I kept saying it.”
zeehar
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Korea (South)3804 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-14 14:17:59
June 14 2012 14:13 GMT
#2678
On June 13 2012 21:56 Archas wrote:
Heya, guys. Given how insanely popular DotA II is, there comes a point where I, as a consumer of e-Sports, want to give it a try. Unfortunately, not only do I not have a beta key, but I also don't have the time or hardware to begin playing and improving at DotA II either, so a beta key would be wasted on me anyway. Therefore, I want to get into watching the game.

I tried watching a stream by somebody named "Tobi Wan Kenobi" who seems to be a wildly popular caster of the game. Despite my best efforts to remain engaged with the casting, I simply couldn't understand anything that was going on. I know some basic DotA terms and such, like what a BKB is, or what it means to deny, or why Roshan is important. The problem is that I feel like I need to have intimate knowledge of EVERY hero and EVERY item to fully enjoy and appreciate the game of DotA II as a spectator sport, and that seems like sheer busywork to learn and memorize if you're not a player.

Given that I do not have the means to PLAY DotA II, I ask this of you, TeamLiquid: what is the best way for an aspiring spectator of DotA II to learn more about the game to appreciate it more? If I can't absorb the knowledge I need through more streamwatching, should I just man up and use a wiki or something?


dota2wiki.com is your best friend for ANYTHING you see in a cast and you don't know what happened. basically how i learned the game.

if it's not a mechanics/hero skill thing, you can ask in this very thread. why is x hero a counter to y hero, what kind of creeps would be nice for chen/enchantress to control, how to play a certain hero, etc etc

edit: also, just read through both this thread and the general discussion thread whenever people start discussing a mechanic or a hero. it's helpful to try follow along (using the wiki for any knowledge that is new to you).
I AM THE UNIVERSAL CONSTANT
Archas
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States6531 Posts
June 14 2012 18:57 GMT
#2679
Thanks a lot for all the replies to my question. You guys have been very helpful. One user on IRC took fifteen minutes of his time just to explain the basics for me in a comprehensible manner, and another even went so far as to supply me with a beta key!* Regrettably, my fears about my computer not even being able to handle the game at minimum settings were confirmed, so until I get a new computer, I won't be able to play DotA II. On the flip side, using the wiki alongside Tobi Wan Kenobi's casting has already proven to be extraordinarily useful in understanding the fundamentals. It turns out that the biggest roadblock to understanding how DotA works is getting past the ultra-newbie stage of learning; now that I've cleared that hurdle, I'm finding it much faster and simpler to pick up the more advanced parts of the game.

Once again, I really appreciate everyone's help. You guys are awesome!

+ Show Spoiler [*] +
You two know who you are, and I love you (platonically, of course). In fact, I'll use this opportunity to plug my new syntax idea / butchering of the English language:

Thank you! Very, very thank you!
The room is ripe with the stench of bitches!
PassiveAce
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
United States18076 Posts
June 15 2012 02:53 GMT
#2680
Can someone please tell me why we never see omniknight in competition?
On paper he seems like an incredibly powerful support, why isnt he ever seen? is it just because he lacks an escape and disable?
I want to see my favorite hero played more.
Call me Marge Simpson cuz I love you homie
Prev 1 132 133 134 135 136 1254 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 55m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 46
StarCraft: Brood War
Free 855
Soulkey 318
Larva 226
Soma 198
Mind 68
ZerO 67
soO 27
scan(afreeca) 23
ajuk12(nOOB) 22
zelot 8
[ Show more ]
Sexy 5
Mini 1
League of Legends
JimRising 528
Counter-Strike
edward104
Other Games
gofns8554
singsing1523
Coldzera 676
WinterStarcraft624
Sick191
Pyrionflax44
ZerO(Twitch)11
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick644
BasetradeTV230
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 24
• LUISG 6
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2231
League of Legends
• Jankos2453
Upcoming Events
Big Brain Bouts
55m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
Online Event
2h 55m
AI Arena Tournament
7h 55m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
9h 55m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d
Patches Events
1d 5h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 9h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 9h
OSC
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
[ Show More ]
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.