• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 18:11
CEST 00:11
KST 07:11
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)75Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Bot on ladder 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8639 users

I Want to be a Commentator - Page 7

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All
SpiralArchitect
Profile Blog Joined December 2006
United States2116 Posts
October 02 2008 21:48 GMT
#121
Well I cant say I read every response in this thread since each one appears to be a wall of text, so sorry if this is a repeat of something a post I didnt read said.

I think that the general idea of having high game knowledge is what holds back most commentators, and it should. In StarCraft you could watch two different games on teh same map and somebody without knowledge of whats going on inside of a players head, and on the field as well, wouldnt even be able to tell teh difference. Obvioulsy everyone on TL could, but my point is that even the biggest dumbass in the world could watch 2 different basketballs games and tell the difference between each game. StarCraft is a bunch of weird looking aliend being controlled by some crazy Korean kid, Basketball is a time old sport which involves alot of human drama which make sit much easier for the caster to get into the game, and in doing so makes his commentary much more enjoyable.

With StarCraft I think that you have to find such a very careful balance to maintain interest and strategical insight on the same level. While Cholera, Diggity, Moletrapp, and Klazart all have a pretty good understanding of the mechanics of the game and the basic strategies, I do not think that they have the necessary experience it takes to become a caster on the level that Tasteless or Artosis are. Without being in at least some sort of competitive tournament how can you possible understand what is going through the heads of each Pro Gamer? It is practically impossible even for Tasteless and Artosis, or anyone for that matter, but if you have no professional/amateur SC experience you might as well be in a dark closet by yourself.

That is what seperates professionals from amateurs imo, not knowing the strategies or the maps, because anyone can do that, but giving insight as to what the gamer may be thinking. I know it sounds as if I am just repeating myself, but seriously when I listen to a Cholera or Diggity commentary I feel like they are just telling me what is going on in my head. For a noob that is really nice and helpful, but I want to hear about something I do not know which is the mental facet of the game, how a player would think about some scenario or another compared to mine. What you guys are doing is telling me what a B rank iccup player would do at this point in time, counters, strategies, expo, or what have you, but I hate to tell you most of the BW fans already know these BOs and how to counter them.

I think your guys commentary is fun and really enjoyable to listen to some times, but honestly it just doesn't serve a purpose in a tight knit community of veterans like this one. Even though most of us are D players and so on, most of us have been playing this game for years and even if you suck ass still you know what the good players are trying to do mechanically.
TeamLiquids #1 illiterate writer, writin dem wordz is de hardz.
Danger_Duck
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Burkina Faso571 Posts
October 02 2008 21:51 GMT
#122
On September 30 2008 10:18 Sp1ralArch1tect wrote:
Hmmm I dont know where most of you are getting your Tasteless commentary from but I think he is very well strategically versed. I mean of course it is not all he concentrates on since he has to do all if by himself, but he understands the basic BO and flow of every matchup for every race. I see what your saying here, but I myself find "over analyzing" is often worse than not knowing everything about everything.

To the OP: I would try and do one if I were you, post it here and see what everyone thinks. From what you have posted it doesnt sound like your bag, but it can never hurt right?



Haven't watched him in a while, but I remember laughing when he said something like "OMG! Flash [I think] is sending all his SCVS!" Oh wait, my bad, he's just transferring..."

Which brings up the question-does Tasteless just have his own observer screen, or does he have four? (1 for each player, 1 to obs yourself, 1 to see what main obs is doing)

Thanks
TBA
ItchReliever
Profile Joined April 2004
2489 Posts
October 02 2008 21:52 GMT
#123
On October 02 2008 23:14 CholeraSC wrote:
Watch this Korean-commentated game I got translated by a fluent Korean fan. It was July v Best in the OSL Finals, so certainly they would be pitching their best broadcast team in it:

+ Show Spoiler +


Now watch one of my recent commentaries that I pulled off my list. It's not my most exciting, but I try to stay on very much on the ball in it (Fantasy v Flash, KTF v SKT1 Rival Battle):

+ Show Spoiler +



My point is, I'll take the Pepsi Challenge against the Korean commentators, or Tasteless' GomTV videos, in terms of quality of commentary and analysis. It's a bold claim, but if you don't know our respective gaming backgrounds, I don't think you would find mine to be any worse.

Cholera, "Pepsi is better", SC.

SpiralArchitect
Profile Blog Joined December 2006
United States2116 Posts
October 02 2008 22:57 GMT
#124
On October 03 2008 06:52 ItchReliever wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 02 2008 23:14 CholeraSC wrote:
Watch this Korean-commentated game I got translated by a fluent Korean fan. It was July v Best in the OSL Finals, so certainly they would be pitching their best broadcast team in it:

+ Show Spoiler +
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1bPv8JI6zY


Now watch one of my recent commentaries that I pulled off my list. It's not my most exciting, but I try to stay on very much on the ball in it (Fantasy v Flash, KTF v SKT1 Rival Battle):

+ Show Spoiler +

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqgPPUNp92I


My point is, I'll take the Pepsi Challenge against the Korean commentators, or Tasteless' GomTV videos, in terms of quality of commentary and analysis. It's a bold claim, but if you don't know our respective gaming backgrounds, I don't think you would find mine to be any worse.

Cholera, "Pepsi is better", SC.


It may have been a bit rash to compare yourself to the top tier of commentators (
TeamLiquids #1 illiterate writer, writin dem wordz is de hardz.
VorcePA
Profile Blog Joined August 2008
United States1102 Posts
October 02 2008 23:46 GMT
#125
Well, riddle me this, Batman (and TL.net):

I watch replays, watch VODs, and GOMTV frequently. I play Starcraft fairly frequently, but I haven't had the time for the past, oh, 3 months or so because of life... I've really felt I've reached the peak of my abilities, and that peak is a solid D on ICCup with my best games reaching a whopping (ha.) 135 APM average.

Now, granted, I understand the game on a higher level than my ICCup rating gives me credit for. That being said, I honestly don't know how to make worthwhile actions beyond the 135 mark. If my average is above 135, I've spammed useless actions. Sure, I can peak at around 300-350 APM, but just for a mere second or two, then it drops back down. I do not know how to maintain a high APM that is not just high, but also useful. I know the difference between spamming and making use of those actions, but applying it has been where I get stuck.
Shitposting
Divinek
Profile Blog Joined November 2006
Canada4045 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-10-03 00:01:38
October 02 2008 23:53 GMT
#126
Well the answer to that is time. I guess fpvods are the best to see how to make fast useful actions. They're basically doing everything you're doing, only more times in a second, and other things. Repeatedly doing something has its uses such as cycling units and buildings to see if stuff is done/getting damaged. If you can't conceptually grasp high apm then it just takes time and watching fpvods

Intrigue made a good point though, it takes a WHILE to get a good understanding of the game just because there's so much to learn. There's almost levels to everything as you go up. There's always more to understand, so I hope you're ready to invest some time
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Oh goodness me, FOX tv where do you get your sight? Can't you keep track, the puck is black. That's why the ice is white.
SonuvBob
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Aiur21552 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-10-03 00:05:17
October 03 2008 00:04 GMT
#127
VorcePA: That's a problem for another thread. :p

These posts may help though:
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=40115&currentpage=5#85
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=78569&currentpage=2#30
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=56230
Administrator
Kennigit *
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Canada19447 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-10-03 01:55:01
October 03 2008 00:05 GMT
#128
No one is saying you have to have high APM to commentate well. You need a rich understanding of the starcraft metagame. Hotbid is a good example of this - he doesn't play that fast and he's not an amazing player but he understands the game so well and has a good understanding of what the players are doing and what they are going to do. That is the key.

VorcePA
Profile Blog Joined August 2008
United States1102 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-10-03 01:55:19
October 03 2008 00:11 GMT
#129
On October 03 2008 09:05 Kennigit wrote:
No one is saying you have to have high APM to commentate well. You need a rich understanding of the starcraft metagame. Hotbid is a good example of this - he doesn't play that fast and he's not an amazing player but he understands the game so well and has a good understanding of what the players are doing and what they are going to do. That is the key.


I didn't say it was. I just think the only thing holding me back from being a better player is my lack of speed. I have an understanding of terran that is easily more profound than the average D player. The problem is execution. I'm slow and forgetful, which leads to poor macro and huge mistakes (I just played a game yesterday where I successfully fended off some tanks ledging my natural but forgot to stick my SCVs back on mining).
Shitposting
Kennigit *
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Canada19447 Posts
October 03 2008 00:16 GMT
#130
practice and repetition is the only way you are going to get faster and better.
Chill
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
Calgary26004 Posts
October 03 2008 00:28 GMT
#131
I think there's a mental aspect of committing to getting faster of well!
Moderator
SonuvBob
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Aiur21552 Posts
October 03 2008 00:38 GMT
#132
On October 03 2008 09:16 Kennigit wrote:
practice and repetition is the only way you are going to get faster and better.

Has to be the right kind of practice. :p
Administrator
KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44361 Posts
October 03 2008 00:51 GMT
#133
On October 03 2008 08:46 VorcePA wrote:
Well, riddle me this, Batman (and TL.net):

I watch replays, watch VODs, and GOMTV frequently. I play Starcraft fairly frequently, but I haven't had the time for the past, oh, 3 months or so because of life... I've really felt I've reached the peak of my abilities, and that peak is a solid D on ICCup with my best games reaching a whopping (ha.) 135 APM average.

Now, granted, I understand the game on a higher level than my ICCup rating gives me credit for. That being said, I honestly don't know how to make worthwhile actions beyond the 135 mark. If my average is above 135, I've spammed useless actions. Sure, I can peak at around 300-350 APM, but just for a mere second or two, then it drops back down. I do not know how to maintain a high APM that is not just high, but also useful. I know the difference between spamming and making use of those actions, but applying it has been where I get stuck.

My apm never really got much higher than 135 either and I always felt that my metagame was far stronger than my mechanics. And while I could spam faster or could micro at a higher speed I also never really saw where to spend the excess apm. I lacked the muscle memory to do the continual macro and moving around that better players do. That just takes practice. You need to play a lot of games and get into the habit of moving through your control groups and constantly tabbing back to your production facilities to keep them running.

That said, I think it's easily possible to reach B- without strong mechanics or high apm simply because players up to that level play exploitably and you can execute them easily enough. While icc rank isn't an absolute guide to understanding of metagame because some players understand far more than they can execute I think that it's difficult to credibly argue that you have good metagame while being a D rank. If you understand why a build is good then you can look at whatever build your opponent at D rank does and see how to beat it. Then you just beat it with the counterbuild. At D they don't understand why their build is weak or why the build you're now doing is strong against it because they're just copying what they saw in a replay without any real understanding of context.
ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
LonelyMargarita
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
1845 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-10-03 01:38:46
October 03 2008 01:37 GMT
#134
On October 03 2008 08:46 VorcePA wrote:
Well, riddle me this, Batman (and TL.net):

I watch replays, watch VODs, and GOMTV frequently. I play Starcraft fairly frequently, but I haven't had the time for the past, oh, 3 months or so because of life... I've really felt I've reached the peak of my abilities, and that peak is a solid D on ICCup with my best games reaching a whopping (ha.) 135 APM average.

Now, granted, I understand the game on a higher level than my ICCup rating gives me credit for. That being said, I honestly don't know how to make worthwhile actions beyond the 135 mark. If my average is above 135, I've spammed useless actions. Sure, I can peak at around 300-350 APM, but just for a mere second or two, then it drops back down. I do not know how to maintain a high APM that is not just high, but also useful. I know the difference between spamming and making use of those actions, but applying it has been where I get stuck.


If you haven't had time to get above a D rank, you definitely have not had enough time to study the game enough to be a top-level commentator. The game and strategies and builds evolve and adapt every season and within seasons, and a good commentator will not only be able to identify, understand and execute these changes in the game, but also know how individual gamers' styles and builds fit in and match up against others. A constant commitment to not only playing, but following the entire scene is important, and shows when you cast. This is something the Korean casters still clearly have above even tasteless and Artosis, and in turn they have above most other casters. In my opinion, being a great caster takes even more commitment than being a B level player. If you can only devote the time to become D, even if your understanding goes well beyond that, you're not committed enough throughout the year to understand the evolution and changes in the game.
I <3 서지훈
Chill
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
Calgary26004 Posts
October 03 2008 01:43 GMT
#135
On October 03 2008 09:51 Kwark wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 03 2008 08:46 VorcePA wrote:
Well, riddle me this, Batman (and TL.net):

I watch replays, watch VODs, and GOMTV frequently. I play Starcraft fairly frequently, but I haven't had the time for the past, oh, 3 months or so because of life... I've really felt I've reached the peak of my abilities, and that peak is a solid D on ICCup with my best games reaching a whopping (ha.) 135 APM average.

Now, granted, I understand the game on a higher level than my ICCup rating gives me credit for. That being said, I honestly don't know how to make worthwhile actions beyond the 135 mark. If my average is above 135, I've spammed useless actions. Sure, I can peak at around 300-350 APM, but just for a mere second or two, then it drops back down. I do not know how to maintain a high APM that is not just high, but also useful. I know the difference between spamming and making use of those actions, but applying it has been where I get stuck.

My apm never really got much higher than 135 either and I always felt that my metagame was far stronger than my mechanics. And while I could spam faster or could micro at a higher speed I also never really saw where to spend the excess apm. I lacked the muscle memory to do the continual macro and moving around that better players do. That just takes practice. You need to play a lot of games and get into the habit of moving through your control groups and constantly tabbing back to your production facilities to keep them running.

That said, I think it's easily possible to reach B- without strong mechanics or high apm simply because players up to that level play exploitably and you can execute them easily enough. While icc rank isn't an absolute guide to understanding of metagame because some players understand far more than they can execute I think that it's difficult to credibly argue that you have good metagame while being a D rank. If you understand why a build is good then you can look at whatever build your opponent at D rank does and see how to beat it. Then you just beat it with the counterbuild. At D they don't understand why their build is weak or why the build you're now doing is strong against it because they're just copying what they saw in a replay without any real understanding of context.


The fuck? You got to B at 135 APM? WTF.
Moderator
fusionsdf
Profile Blog Joined June 2006
Canada15390 Posts
October 03 2008 01:48 GMT
#136
+ Show Spoiler +

he plays protoss
SKT_Best: "I actually chose Protoss because it was so hard for me to defeat Protoss as a Terran. When I first started Brood War, my main race was Terran."
Chill
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
Calgary26004 Posts
October 03 2008 02:01 GMT
#137
LOL why didnt I see that coming? Fuck hahaha
Moderator
Centric
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
United States1989 Posts
October 03 2008 03:44 GMT
#138
On October 03 2008 07:57 Sp1ralArch1tect wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 03 2008 06:52 ItchReliever wrote:
On October 02 2008 23:14 CholeraSC wrote:
Watch this Korean-commentated game I got translated by a fluent Korean fan. It was July v Best in the OSL Finals, so certainly they would be pitching their best broadcast team in it:

+ Show Spoiler +
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1bPv8JI6zY


Now watch one of my recent commentaries that I pulled off my list. It's not my most exciting, but I try to stay on very much on the ball in it (Fantasy v Flash, KTF v SKT1 Rival Battle):

+ Show Spoiler +

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqgPPUNp92I


My point is, I'll take the Pepsi Challenge against the Korean commentators, or Tasteless' GomTV videos, in terms of quality of commentary and analysis. It's a bold claim, but if you don't know our respective gaming backgrounds, I don't think you would find mine to be any worse.

Cholera, "Pepsi is better", SC.


It may have been a bit rash to compare yourself to the top tier of commentators (

Especially since you decide to pick a short ass game where most of the talking is commentating on the shocking, ridiculous play by July. You really can't expect that much strategic depth when July goes for some cheesy (albeit amazing) play.
Super serious.
IzzyCraft
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
United States4487 Posts
October 03 2008 03:47 GMT
#139
On October 03 2008 10:43 Chill wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 03 2008 09:51 Kwark wrote:
On October 03 2008 08:46 VorcePA wrote:


The fuck? You got to B at 135 APM? WTF.


=( ive only been able to get to c with 170 apm zug zug
I have ass for brains so,
even when I shit I'm droping knowledge.
Salv
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
Canada3083 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-10-03 04:31:23
October 03 2008 04:30 GMT
#140
On September 30 2008 08:02 SonuvBob wrote:
GG.net can't satisfy you like Chill TL can!


You satisfy me SonuvBob

On October 03 2008 10:48 fusionsdf wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +

he plays protoss


LOL, DON'T EVEN START
Prev 1 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 49m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech142
SpeCial 101
StarCraft: Brood War
Artosis 352
MaD[AoV]26
910 23
Bale 11
League of Legends
JimRising 496
Counter-Strike
fl0m4396
Fnx 613
minikerr7
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox469
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4210
Liquid`Hasu553
Other Games
summit1g6844
FrodaN639
C9.Mang0230
Trikslyr17
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV252
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream16
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• davetesta0
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota21385
Other Games
• imaqtpie798
• Shiphtur755
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
1h 49m
Patches Events
17h 49m
The PondCast
1d 11h
INu's Battles
1d 12h
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.