• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 18:03
CEST 00:03
KST 07:03
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)75Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Bot on ladder 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9020 users

I Want to be a Commentator - Page 8

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 10 Next All
EvoChamber
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
France2505 Posts
October 03 2008 04:50 GMT
#141
I would actually love to see replays of Chill vs. Kwark, btw.
That's not awful writing, DAMMIT. It's perfectly sensical english construction.
Xeris
Profile Blog Joined July 2005
Iran17695 Posts
October 03 2008 04:50 GMT
#142
On October 03 2008 08:46 VorcePA wrote:
Well, riddle me this, Batman (and TL.net):

I watch replays, watch VODs, and GOMTV frequently. I play Starcraft fairly frequently, but I haven't had the time for the past, oh, 3 months or so because of life... I've really felt I've reached the peak of my abilities, and that peak is a solid D on ICCup with my best games reaching a whopping (ha.) 135 APM average.

Now, granted, I understand the game on a higher level than my ICCup rating gives me credit for. That being said, I honestly don't know how to make worthwhile actions beyond the 135 mark. If my average is above 135, I've spammed useless actions. Sure, I can peak at around 300-350 APM, but just for a mere second or two, then it drops back down. I do not know how to maintain a high APM that is not just high, but also useful. I know the difference between spamming and making use of those actions, but applying it has been where I get stuck.


I don't know why you keep talking about APM as if it is the most important factor. I'm probably a C+ / B- level player (B level PvT, C+ level other mu's , averages out) ... and I play between 120-130 apm on average. O_O;

twitter.com/xerislight -- follow me~~
dream-_-
Profile Blog Joined April 2006
United States1857 Posts
October 03 2008 04:55 GMT
#143
i think what a lot of people are not quite getting here is that to accept someones commentary you need to have a certain amount of respect for them. If its someone who knows less about the game than you do you are stuck thinking 'why am i listening to this guy when I know more about whats going on than he does?'

Even if your commentary is worthwhile(if it is or isnt is a completely different story).
KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44361 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-10-03 05:01:03
October 03 2008 04:56 GMT
#144
I think it is true that you can get by with less as Protoss though. But not for the reasons most people think (ie easy race, attack move = win). Protoss matchups give the player far more options than others. Although a lot of players ignore this, playing standard straight up mechanical games and winning like that, it does create a niche for players with more creative insight than skill which the other races don't have.
A wider range of options with more diverse uses makes Protoss very friendly for the low apm user who correctly reads his opponent and kills them with a well executed, well timed counter. Even in PvP the range of openings available is far wider than that in TvT and ZvZ.


Good mechanical players exist in all three races and are balanced, a technically good player would find no race harder than the other. But I believe a player with limited mechanical skills but good game sense will always find Protoss easier to play with. The low apm, high ranked user anomaly is almost uniquely Protoss.
ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44361 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-10-03 05:06:50
October 03 2008 05:00 GMT
#145
On October 03 2008 13:50 EvoChamber wrote:
I would actually love to see replays of Chill vs. Kwark, btw.

I've not played since I got Midiowned and I think Chill was the better of us when we played. The games were fairly underwhelming. The standard of play was high but lower than you'll find in TSL rep packs and nothing strategically unusual. Every now and then I get an urge to get back in shape and own up D rank icc but that's nostalgia speaking. I have no urge to actually play the game anymore.
ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
SonuvBob
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Aiur21552 Posts
October 03 2008 05:05 GMT
#146
On October 03 2008 13:56 Kwark wrote:
Protoss is ez mode. It's like game genie codes for SC.
Administrator
Hot_Bid
Profile Blog Joined October 2003
Braavos36402 Posts
October 03 2008 05:07 GMT
#147
On October 03 2008 13:50 Xeris wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 03 2008 08:46 VorcePA wrote:
Well, riddle me this, Batman (and TL.net):

I watch replays, watch VODs, and GOMTV frequently. I play Starcraft fairly frequently, but I haven't had the time for the past, oh, 3 months or so because of life... I've really felt I've reached the peak of my abilities, and that peak is a solid D on ICCup with my best games reaching a whopping (ha.) 135 APM average.

Now, granted, I understand the game on a higher level than my ICCup rating gives me credit for. That being said, I honestly don't know how to make worthwhile actions beyond the 135 mark. If my average is above 135, I've spammed useless actions. Sure, I can peak at around 300-350 APM, but just for a mere second or two, then it drops back down. I do not know how to maintain a high APM that is not just high, but also useful. I know the difference between spamming and making use of those actions, but applying it has been where I get stuck.


I don't know why you keep talking about APM as if it is the most important factor. I'm probably a C+ / B- level player (B level PvT, C+ level other mu's , averages out) ... and I play between 120-130 apm on average. O_O;

where'd you finish in the TSL? B is pretty good.
@Hot_Bid on Twitter - ESPORTS life since 2010 - http://i.imgur.com/U2psw.png
KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44361 Posts
October 03 2008 05:07 GMT
#148
On October 03 2008 14:05 SonuvBob wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 03 2008 13:56 Kwark wrote:
Dark Templar <3

ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
VorcePA
Profile Blog Joined August 2008
United States1102 Posts
October 03 2008 07:13 GMT
#149
On October 03 2008 13:50 Xeris wrote:
I don't know why you keep talking about APM as if it is the most important factor. I'm probably a C+ / B- level player (B level PvT, C+ level other mu's , averages out) ... and I play between 120-130 apm on average. O_O;



I don't think APM is the most important factor to everyone everywhere always; it is one of many factors. I do think that the biggest reason that my level of play suffers is because I lack speed (IE, APM).

Without derailing my own thread into something about strategy, I generally know how to counter any fairly common build against any race. I cannot, however, quickly and accurately do the micro and macro necessary to execute a proper counter. If I micro, I'll win the battle, but not the war, because my Raxes/Facs/Ports aren't building anything. If I macro, I lose the battle, get pushed and the macro is in vain.

So to put it back on to topic: if my commentating is assuredly going to suffer because I'm not a high-tier player, I would like to get better (hell, I'd like to get better just to get better). It doesn't mean I won't commentate until I am better, because there's never going to be an arbitrary point where I decide "Ok, I'm good enough at starcraft to commentate now", but if improving my walk will help my talk, then let the games begin.
Shitposting
Xeris
Profile Blog Joined July 2005
Iran17695 Posts
October 03 2008 07:18 GMT
#150
On October 03 2008 14:07 Hot_Bid wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 03 2008 13:50 Xeris wrote:
On October 03 2008 08:46 VorcePA wrote:
Well, riddle me this, Batman (and TL.net):

I watch replays, watch VODs, and GOMTV frequently. I play Starcraft fairly frequently, but I haven't had the time for the past, oh, 3 months or so because of life... I've really felt I've reached the peak of my abilities, and that peak is a solid D on ICCup with my best games reaching a whopping (ha.) 135 APM average.

Now, granted, I understand the game on a higher level than my ICCup rating gives me credit for. That being said, I honestly don't know how to make worthwhile actions beyond the 135 mark. If my average is above 135, I've spammed useless actions. Sure, I can peak at around 300-350 APM, but just for a mere second or two, then it drops back down. I do not know how to maintain a high APM that is not just high, but also useful. I know the difference between spamming and making use of those actions, but applying it has been where I get stuck.


I don't know why you keep talking about APM as if it is the most important factor. I'm probably a C+ / B- level player (B level PvT, C+ level other mu's , averages out) ... and I play between 120-130 apm on average. O_O;

where'd you finish in the TSL? B is pretty good.


I didn't play in TSL at all. I stopped at C+ on ICCUP last season. My PvZ is ok, my PvP is very weak and my PvT is very good. I was able to take games and have really competitive series against Aerials and SchiSm at Canada LAN (both are A- high players)... based on that and seeing that my PvT win % on ICCUP at C+ was about 70% I was assuming that my PvT level is around B... but I know my PvZ is worse, and my PvP is worse still.

I played a buttload this summer because I had a ton of free time and devoted some time to improving, and for w/e reason PvT is the matchup that I really improved upon in that time. But ya I didn't figure I'd get anywhere worth mentioning in TSL so I didn't bother playing.
twitter.com/xerislight -- follow me~~
NiGoL
Profile Joined September 2008
1868 Posts
October 03 2008 10:52 GMT
#151
How is it going for this guy to be a commentator? any news?
http://www.twitter.com/NiGoLBW playing league on a competitive level
MyLostTemple *
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
United States2921 Posts
October 03 2008 11:44 GMT
#152
i've never understood this infatuation with APM. look... terran require the most apm, zerg are in the middle and protoss are at the end. some also require more macro then micro etc etc. all the require very diffrent skill sets, it's not just about apm and strategy. for instance have you ever noticed zerg building placement is probably the least signifigant when compared to the other three races? good thing this game isn't all about building placement. learning how to get high apm is not that difficult. just go play against a computer and get maxed as fast as possible. if you ever forget a pylon/overlord/depot just restart the game. go study some simple build orders and attempt to execute them vs that comp.

do you know how many good players have had low apm? have you ever seen testie play? what about savior? i watched them both play live at WCG world finals and they weren't dancing around at the 300 level.
Follow me on twitter: CallMeTasteless
Ilikestarcraft
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
Korea (South)17743 Posts
October 03 2008 13:19 GMT
#153
On October 03 2008 14:07 Hot_Bid wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 03 2008 13:50 Xeris wrote:
On October 03 2008 08:46 VorcePA wrote:
Well, riddle me this, Batman (and TL.net):

I watch replays, watch VODs, and GOMTV frequently. I play Starcraft fairly frequently, but I haven't had the time for the past, oh, 3 months or so because of life... I've really felt I've reached the peak of my abilities, and that peak is a solid D on ICCup with my best games reaching a whopping (ha.) 135 APM average.

Now, granted, I understand the game on a higher level than my ICCup rating gives me credit for. That being said, I honestly don't know how to make worthwhile actions beyond the 135 mark. If my average is above 135, I've spammed useless actions. Sure, I can peak at around 300-350 APM, but just for a mere second or two, then it drops back down. I do not know how to maintain a high APM that is not just high, but also useful. I know the difference between spamming and making use of those actions, but applying it has been where I get stuck.


I don't know why you keep talking about APM as if it is the most important factor. I'm probably a C+ / B- level player (B level PvT, C+ level other mu's , averages out) ... and I play between 120-130 apm on average. O_O;

where'd you finish in the TSL? B is pretty good.

he said b only for his pvt though ^^

I think apm isnt that important. I hate it when it when a person judges a person's skill with apm and even more eapm.
ils
"Nana is a goddess. Or at very least, Nana is my goddess." - KazeHydra
Deleted User 31996
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
843 Posts
October 03 2008 14:13 GMT
#154
my apm is about 180-200 yet im still a D and i cant see myself hitting D+/C- in a longgggggg time to come.

apm means jack all and only really helps at really really high levels. It's only at these levels where little mechanical tricks make a difference because their game sense and everything else is up to level

The only reason i aim at keeping my high apm is cause i know that it will help out when the time comes, and because it just feels *fun*. Also, it isn't that hard to keep a high apm so i don't see why one shouldn't aim at getting high apm while they play and aim to improve their play in general.

CholeraSC
Profile Joined March 2008
United States114 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-10-03 14:30:01
October 03 2008 14:25 GMT
#155
On October 02 2008 03:06 Chill wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 02 2008 03:04 CholeraSC wrote:
On October 02 2008 02:59 Chill wrote:
On October 02 2008 02:39 CholeraSC wrote:
On October 02 2008 02:29 Chill wrote:
Tasteless mentions a lot of high level ideas in his casts, actually. He just doesn't harp on them and mentions them in passing, but they are there.


Most times the most technical detail I hear is, "he's building a supply depot on the bottom of the CC to squeeze the SCV out nearer to his minerals", or something like "X is going for a fast reaver drop, which is a great counter to a T fast expand, if the T doesn't know about it, and they don't because they can't get the early Comsat...". These are things that can be, and are, in videos like mine. I do hear some high-level ideas, but like you say, they aren't emphasized, and I bet you don't watch his videos just for that 3 second snip of high-level analysis.

Anyway, I'm not asking TL to like my videos, or those of my friends, as much as Tasteless'. I understand that his style might be more energetic, his jokes funnier, and his active membership here more endearing. But I just ask that you don't judge our videos by the supposed lack of technical merit, since I do not think that is not the criteria you judge his professional casts by, either.

That's all I judge on. Artosis = most technical = best; Tasteless = close second, everyone else = zero.

That's what I've always said. O_O

Edit: Maybe that's the royal you? :D


It is the plural you, ustedes. But do watch the videos I did with Louder, especially games 2 and 3, to see some pretty darn technical videos.


For the sake of a fully informed discussion, I will. It should also be noted Louder is a retard so that will probably weigh in on my enjoyment.


If you had a chance to watch some of this series, I'd appreciate your honest feedback. Tear my commentary a new one, if needed. But at least you would've watched a game before judging, which I suspect most of the responders here, who talk so theoretically about how unlistenable we'd be, have not done.

Thx - Cholera
http://www.youtube.com/user/CholeraSC
wo0py
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
Netherlands922 Posts
October 03 2008 15:08 GMT
#156
All this talk about become a commentator. MAKE A VID and start working on it.

Like you have to ask us to try become a commentator.

We shouldnt recreate anger of the non-virtual world
Dutch
Profile Joined February 2006
Canada110 Posts
October 03 2008 15:34 GMT
#157
On October 03 2008 16:18 Xeris wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 03 2008 14:07 Hot_Bid wrote:
On October 03 2008 13:50 Xeris wrote:
On October 03 2008 08:46 VorcePA wrote:
Well, riddle me this, Batman (and TL.net):

I watch replays, watch VODs, and GOMTV frequently. I play Starcraft fairly frequently, but I haven't had the time for the past, oh, 3 months or so because of life... I've really felt I've reached the peak of my abilities, and that peak is a solid D on ICCup with my best games reaching a whopping (ha.) 135 APM average.

Now, granted, I understand the game on a higher level than my ICCup rating gives me credit for. That being said, I honestly don't know how to make worthwhile actions beyond the 135 mark. If my average is above 135, I've spammed useless actions. Sure, I can peak at around 300-350 APM, but just for a mere second or two, then it drops back down. I do not know how to maintain a high APM that is not just high, but also useful. I know the difference between spamming and making use of those actions, but applying it has been where I get stuck.


I don't know why you keep talking about APM as if it is the most important factor. I'm probably a C+ / B- level player (B level PvT, C+ level other mu's , averages out) ... and I play between 120-130 apm on average. O_O;

where'd you finish in the TSL? B is pretty good.


I didn't play in TSL at all. I stopped at C+ on ICCUP last season. My PvZ is ok, my PvP is very weak and my PvT is very good. I was able to take games and have really competitive series against Aerials and SchiSm at Canada LAN (both are A- high players)... based on that and seeing that my PvT win % on ICCUP at C+ was about 70% I was assuming that my PvT level is around B... but I know my PvZ is worse, and my PvP is worse still.

I played a buttload this summer because I had a ton of free time and devoted some time to improving, and for w/e reason PvT is the matchup that I really improved upon in that time. But ya I didn't figure I'd get anywhere worth mentioning in TSL so I didn't bother playing.


Number 1 I doubt you stopped at C+, you probably just couldn't get any further than that. Number 2 just because pvt is your best mu doesn't mean you are B level pvt player. From what I've seen it's no where close to that. Honestly no offence man but you are massively inflating your skill level you're not very good.
Not Dutch
Xeris
Profile Blog Joined July 2005
Iran17695 Posts
October 03 2008 16:07 GMT
#158
actually I did stop at C+ ask anyone who knows me. also how am I massively inflating my skill when I'm openly stating that I'm only good at one matchup? I.E any mid level P and Z player has a great chance of beating me. also, if you read my previous post actually you would see the evidence I listed as to why I think my PvT is at a high level.

thanks for your input troll, why don't you post an aka before saying I suck.
twitter.com/xerislight -- follow me~~
Red9
Profile Joined May 2008
United States64 Posts
October 03 2008 16:48 GMT
#159
lol i thought this was a new thread

i would like to watch vods where tasteless and artosis comment together. that would be awesome
VorcePA
Profile Blog Joined August 2008
United States1102 Posts
October 03 2008 16:53 GMT
#160
On October 04 2008 00:08 wo0py wrote:
All this talk about become a commentator. MAKE A VID and start working on it.

Like you have to ask us to try become a commentator.



I didn't ask you to try to be a commentator. I asked for resources on becoming a commentator, and actually, chill provided the answer in the very first response on page 1.
Shitposting
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 10 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 57m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech143
SpeCial 78
StarCraft: Brood War
Artosis 271
MaD[AoV]30
910 25
Bale 13
League of Legends
JimRising 458
Counter-Strike
fl0m4229
Fnx 603
minikerr9
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox433
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4248
Liquid`Hasu563
Other Games
summit1g6119
FrodaN628
C9.Mang0228
JuggernautJason31
Trikslyr10
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV249
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream18
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota21443
Other Games
• Shiphtur814
• imaqtpie774
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
1h 57m
Patches Events
17h 57m
The PondCast
1d 11h
INu's Battles
1d 12h
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.