• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 14:41
CEST 20:41
KST 03:41
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)48Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9186 users

Ultimate Computer Build Thread - Page 34

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 32 33 34 35 36 42 Next All
semantics
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
10040 Posts
July 18 2010 02:22 GMT
#661
Yeah i don't see anything bad with that build ofc it can be adjusted if you need to buy windows 7 or w.e

I porb should also check for other deals that change from day to day.
1312020
Profile Joined March 2009
United States28 Posts
July 18 2010 02:52 GMT
#662
Hey guys, I'm currently working on building my first rig. Compared to the average person I know a good amount about the hardware I'm looking at, but I'm by no means an expert. I've been researching a ton and at a point my brain just sort of overloads, this being one of those points.

+ Show Spoiler +
Intel® Core i7 Processor 930 & GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 3-WAY SLI/Crossfire ATX Motherboard Bundle Combo $364.99
OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage $120
750W Power supply $70
Xion Mid-Tower Case (2 built in fans) $45
Seagate 1.5TB Hard Drive $80
Random DVD Drive $20

I'm also looking at another fan, but I would order this one after I had everything else, many reviews said to check the dimensions of leftover space to make sure it would fit.
Thermaltake SpinQ CPU Cooler $55

With the fan and without one very obvious part total is: $755 before tax


What I'm looking for with this computer is to build a powerful gaming rig, because the laptop I use to play games now basically tops out at SC2 on the lowest settings. Unfortunately for my wallet I'm also pretty committed to getting an i7-930, so I'm not going to be able to take advantage of AMD's more budget friendly processors.

And to make matters worse, I'm having a bit of a crisis over what GPU I should get. Had I been about a day faster, I would have been able to get a GTX 470 for under 200, but I missed the deal and am lost. My original plan was to grab 2 5770s and jam them in there, but I'm not sure anymore. I'd like to keep the GPU price around 200, I'll probably try to get a double of whatever I get around Christmas. So my question to you is: what Video Card should I buy?

My requirements:
Preferably below 250$, lower is better
HDMI output, as I'll be playing on a TV most (read: all) of the time.
DirectX 11, because I want it

If you guys could give me a hand deciding on my Video Card and if anyone has any ideas as to how I could shave a few dollars off my total, that would be much appreciated. Although I've done plenty of price reducing since I first started.
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
July 18 2010 03:02 GMT
#663
Very easy question to answer:

Get a GTX 460 1GB at around $230

Ditch the Thermaltake SpinQ. It sucks. I would suggest buying a cheaper heatsink (or not buying one at all) and investing that money in a quality 650-750W PSU since you will be putting a large load on your PSU.
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
Gokey
Profile Joined November 2006
United States2722 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-18 03:04:38
July 18 2010 03:03 GMT
#664
Hi guys, I'm building a computer to run SC2 and most of the games in the near future.

My goal is all the best bang-for-the-buck parts right now, without falling behind too much.

Here is my current build (around $600)... Please critique it and let me know if there are better alternative parts. Thanks!!

[image loading]

edit: Comes out to $595 because of 25 bucks shipping on the case...
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-18 03:06:44
July 18 2010 03:05 GMT
#665
Ditch the 5750 and get this 5770
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161338

Also, since I don't see a PSU (and $25 shipping on a case is absolutely atrocious)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.432083

You will need to provide your own power cord though.
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
Gokey
Profile Joined November 2006
United States2722 Posts
July 18 2010 03:11 GMT
#666
Thx for tips Frag... The PSU comes with the case AFAIK...
R04R
Profile Joined March 2009
United States1631 Posts
July 18 2010 03:14 GMT
#667
The PSU that comes with that case is probably not very good. For PSUs you have to find a reputable brand because one shortage and all your parts could be fried.
ô¿ô
nineninja9
Profile Joined March 2010
United States194 Posts
July 18 2010 03:14 GMT
#668
I recommend you drop the SSD unless you have a very good reason for needing one.
R04R
Profile Joined March 2009
United States1631 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-18 03:16:52
July 18 2010 03:16 GMT
#669
On July 18 2010 11:52 1312020 wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +

Hey guys, I'm currently working on building my first rig. Compared to the average person I know a good amount about the hardware I'm looking at, but I'm by no means an expert. I've been researching a ton and at a point my brain just sort of overloads, this being one of those points.

+ Show Spoiler +
Intel® Core i7 Processor 930 & GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 3-WAY SLI/Crossfire ATX Motherboard Bundle Combo $364.99
OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage $120
750W Power supply $70
Xion Mid-Tower Case (2 built in fans) $45
Seagate 1.5TB Hard Drive $80
Random DVD Drive $20

I'm also looking at another fan, but I would order this one after I had everything else, many reviews said to check the dimensions of leftover space to make sure it would fit.
Thermaltake SpinQ CPU Cooler $55

With the fan and without one very obvious part total is: $755 before tax


What I'm looking for with this computer is to build a powerful gaming rig, because the laptop I use to play games now basically tops out at SC2 on the lowest settings. Unfortunately for my wallet I'm also pretty committed to getting an i7-930, so I'm not going to be able to take advantage of AMD's more budget friendly processors.

And to make matters worse, I'm having a bit of a crisis over what GPU I should get. Had I been about a day faster, I would have been able to get a GTX 470 for under 200, but I missed the deal and am lost. My original plan was to grab 2 5770s and jam them in there, but I'm not sure anymore. I'd like to keep the GPU price around 200, I'll probably try to get a double of whatever I get around Christmas. So my question to you is: what Video Card should I buy?

My requirements:
Preferably below 250$, lower is better
HDMI output, as I'll be playing on a TV most (read: all) of the time.
DirectX 11, because I want it

If you guys could give me a hand deciding on my Video Card and if anyone has any ideas as to how I could shave a few dollars off my total, that would be much appreciated. Although I've done plenty of price reducing since I first started.


You can get an i7 930 for $200 from Microcenter. You can also cut some money by getting just 4gbs of RAM for now. If you really ned to you can add another 2gb later in time.
ô¿ô
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
July 18 2010 03:16 GMT
#670
oh.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227461
is a better choice than your current SSD (which kinda sucks)

you can choose cheaper ram as well
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231207
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145241
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
1312020
Profile Joined March 2009
United States28 Posts
July 18 2010 03:18 GMT
#671
On July 18 2010 12:02 FragKrag wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
Very easy question to answer:

Get a GTX 460 1GB at around $230

Ditch the Thermaltake SpinQ. It sucks. I would suggest buying a cheaper heatsink (or not buying one at all) and investing that money in a quality 650-750W PSU since you will be putting a large load on your PSU.


Thanks for the quick response, that was the direction I was leaning towards. The only reservation I had on the 460 is that I couldn't find a 1GB one made by a manufacturer I recognized, and it was a bit unsettling for me. A bit deeper of a search and most of my worries are put to rest.

Also, you say I should put that money in a quality 650-750W PSU. Is there something wrong with the one I have listed? I'm not very familiar with PSUs as a whole, any advice would be appreciated.
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-18 03:22:39
July 18 2010 03:20 GMT
#672
On July 18 2010 12:18 1312020 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 18 2010 12:02 FragKrag wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
Very easy question to answer:

Get a GTX 460 1GB at around $230

Ditch the Thermaltake SpinQ. It sucks. I would suggest buying a cheaper heatsink (or not buying one at all) and investing that money in a quality 650-750W PSU since you will be putting a large load on your PSU.


Thanks for the quick response, that was the direction I was leaning towards. The only reservation I had on the 460 is that I couldn't find a 1GB one made by a manufacturer I recognized, and it was a bit unsettling for me. A bit deeper of a search and most of my worries are put to rest.

Also, you say I should put that money in a quality 650-750W PSU. Is there something wrong with the one I have listed? I'm not very familiar with PSUs as a whole, any advice would be appreciated.


I have never used (or had any experience) with Ultra PSUs. I merely know that they exist so I can't attest to the quality of the PSU. Just saying that PSUs are important really. And that the SpinQ sucks. Get a Hyper 212 from Microcenter!

The 1GB ones should be rolling out early this week.
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
1312020
Profile Joined March 2009
United States28 Posts
July 18 2010 03:22 GMT
#673
Ah, okay, good to know. Thanks again for the quick responses.
R04R
Profile Joined March 2009
United States1631 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-18 03:23:20
July 18 2010 03:23 GMT
#674
This 1gb 460 looks decent. But of course if you're not purchasing now you can wait and look for something else.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125333
ô¿ô
bumatlarge
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States4567 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-18 03:44:59
July 18 2010 03:42 GMT
#675
Hey, I too was hoping could make a computer for SC2. Would like some feedback. I'm really just hoping to get a desktop under $750 that will run it on decent settings perfectly. My friend is willing to sell me his CPU and PSU for 250, but it could only use LGA 1366 socket motherboard.

CPU
PSU
Motherboard
Hard-Drive
Case

Is that everything I need?

Comes to $714, which is about what I want to pay. Wouldn't mind cheaper or better recommendations that will keep me in that area. I'd probably keep the game on medium settings anyway.

Edit: Oh, I was just going to steal 2GB of RAM I have in my laptop, and just throw a 512MB I have in the laptop.
Together but separate, like oatmeal
nineninja9
Profile Joined March 2010
United States194 Posts
July 18 2010 04:09 GMT
#676
Laptop memory does not fit on desktop motherboards, and it seems you haven't budgeted for a graphics card either.

Even at that price for a 920, I find it hard to justify a 1366 build for such a small budget, especially when new i7-930s can be found for $200 at certain retailers.
TanGeng
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Sanya12364 Posts
July 18 2010 04:24 GMT
#677
Any one have intel i7 build? (cpu + motherboard + memory)

I've looked at the recent ones and they are all AMD. Is there any reason for that?
Moderator我们是个踏实的赞助商模式俱乐部
nineninja9
Profile Joined March 2010
United States194 Posts
July 18 2010 04:43 GMT
#678
Games are typically GPU limited, and AMD typically performs better for the same price, especially on low to mid end builds. Coincidentally, anyone spending less than $500 on graphics cards won't need anything above an i5 or phenom ii x4 to avoid being gpu limited, so i7 builds aren't recommended given most people's budgets. I think 480s in SLI (and anything higher) require i7s to avoid being cpu limited, but I'm not completely sure on that.

If you are interested in an i7 build, someone (I think fragkrag) posted one a few pages back, or i could throw something together if you have a particular budget in mind.
TanGeng
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Sanya12364 Posts
July 18 2010 04:51 GMT
#679
I don't have a particular budget. I could throw $1500 at it. I'm looking for primarily a Linux build but I could run windows 7 as well.

The budget and limited funds is one I knew might come into play. The best GPUs out are AMD/ATI right? I was wondering if they might work better with AMD or some technical reason rather than a financial one.
Moderator我们是个踏实的赞助商模式俱乐部
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
July 18 2010 04:55 GMT
#680
On July 18 2010 13:24 TanGeng wrote:
Any one have intel i7 build? (cpu + motherboard + memory)

I've looked at the recent ones and they are all AMD. Is there any reason for that?


I have an Intel i7 build. The recent ones are AMD because the budget is not high enough to allow for a good i7 build.
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
Prev 1 32 33 34 35 36 42 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 5h 19m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 655
UpATreeSC 122
JuggernautJason27
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 19828
firebathero 200
Rush 139
Dewaltoss 85
Trap 25
Shine 22
Sexy 19
Bale 13
yabsab 9
Djem5 3
Dota 2
Gorgc7853
qojqva1425
monkeys_forever91
Counter-Strike
fl0m1538
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1858
crisheroes1251
Liquid`Hasu656
XaKoH 165
MindelVK10
Other Games
Grubby2992
FrodaN842
ceh9717
Beastyqt669
summit1g504
ArmadaUGS198
KnowMe167
byalli163
C9.Mang0158
Hui .143
QueenE105
Trikslyr64
Mew2King63
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV201
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream78
[ Show 17 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 7
• Migwel
• IndyKCrew
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• intothetv
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 31
• 80smullet 13
• FirePhoenix11
• ZZZeroYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• BSLYoutube
Dota 2
• Nemesis1751
League of Legends
• TFBlade1168
Other Games
• imaqtpie858
• Shiphtur248
• WagamamaTV248
Upcoming Events
OSC
5h 19m
Stellar Fest
18h 19m
OSC
1d 3h
CranKy Ducklings
1d 15h
Online Event
1d 16h
FEL
1d 21h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 22h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.