• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 14:41
CEST 20:41
KST 03:41
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)48Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9186 users

Ultimate Computer Build Thread - Page 33

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 31 32 33 34 35 42 Next All
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
July 16 2010 19:58 GMT
#641
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.432083

seems like the better deal here
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
R04R
Profile Joined March 2009
United States1631 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-16 20:14:16
July 16 2010 20:07 GMT
#642
On July 17 2010 04:58 FragKrag wrote:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.432083

seems like the better deal here


One needs to provide their own power cable for that PSU btw. Almost skipped that detail when I was still searching for stuff.
ô¿ô
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
July 16 2010 20:08 GMT
#643
Just about everybody has a computer already built though, so it isn't too much of a hassle to get one.
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
nineninja9
Profile Joined March 2010
United States194 Posts
July 16 2010 20:10 GMT
#644
Wow that is a pretty nice deal, it comes out to about $20 cheaper than what I had with comparable components. Well that doesn't include the rebate on the OCZ, but rebates are always pretty iffy. Odd that they don't include a power cable though.
Rho_
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States971 Posts
July 16 2010 20:10 GMT
#645
Ordered my stuff!

+ Show Spoiler +

1 x ($23.99) DVD BRN ASUS | DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS% - OEM $23.99
1 x ($59.99) CPU COOL TR|TRUE BLACK 120REV.C R $59.99
1 x ($19.99) FAN SCYTHE|S-FLEX SFF21F(1600rpM) R $19.99
1 x ($4.99) HDMI CABLES UNLIMITED|PCM-2295-06 R $4.99
1 x ($98.99) MEM 2Gx2|GSKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL $98.99
1 x ($154.99) CASE ANTEC|P183 BK RT $154.99
1 x ($5.98) CABLE NIPPON| SATA3L-1M RT $5.98
1 x ($199.99) MB MSI 890FXA-GD70 AM3 R $199.99
1 x ($294.99) VGA XFX|HD-585X-ZAFC HD5850 1G RT $294.99
1 x ($119.99) PSU ANTEC|CP-850 850W RT $119.99
1 x ($159.99) CPU AMD|PH II X4 955BE 3.2G AM3 $159.99
1 x ($94.99) HD 1T|WD 7K 64M SATAIII WD1002FAEX - OEM $94.99
1 x ($99.99) WIN HOME PREM 7 64-BIT ENG 1PK DSP - OEM $99.99
1 x ($-10.00) DISCOUNT FOR COMBO #437534$-10.00
1 x ($-30.00) DISCOUNT FOR COMBO #430450$-30.00
1 x ($-5.39) DISCOUNT FOR COMBO #409138$-5.39
1 x ($-35.00) DISCOUNT FOR COMBO #432049$-35.00
1 x ($0.00) Newegg Promotional Gift Card(The total amount of Gift Cards: $10.00)


Total cost after shipping was: $1279.38

There are a few mail in rebates too, so I think it'll be closer to 1225$

Thanks to everyone for their help.
Easy772
Profile Joined May 2010
374 Posts
July 16 2010 20:32 GMT
#646
On July 16 2010 09:14 FragKrag wrote:
they should all be low profile. (or rather single slot)

250W should be fine for the 4650 and 4670 I think. 4650 is probably the safer bet. I believe the GSO will work as well.

Thanks.. I went with the 4650 made by Sapphire
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0029RP77I/ref=oss_product
"The best way to improve is to play one matchup on one map doing one strategy.. if you are good at one strategy you are a good player, if you are okay at many strategies you are an okay player at best" -Day[9] 181
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
July 16 2010 23:16 GMT
#647
On July 17 2010 05:10 Rho_ wrote:
Ordered my stuff!

+ Show Spoiler +

1 x ($23.99) DVD BRN ASUS | DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS% - OEM $23.99
1 x ($59.99) CPU COOL TR|TRUE BLACK 120REV.C R $59.99
1 x ($19.99) FAN SCYTHE|S-FLEX SFF21F(1600rpM) R $19.99
1 x ($4.99) HDMI CABLES UNLIMITED|PCM-2295-06 R $4.99
1 x ($98.99) MEM 2Gx2|GSKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL $98.99
1 x ($154.99) CASE ANTEC|P183 BK RT $154.99
1 x ($5.98) CABLE NIPPON| SATA3L-1M RT $5.98
1 x ($199.99) MB MSI 890FXA-GD70 AM3 R $199.99
1 x ($294.99) VGA XFX|HD-585X-ZAFC HD5850 1G RT $294.99
1 x ($119.99) PSU ANTEC|CP-850 850W RT $119.99
1 x ($159.99) CPU AMD|PH II X4 955BE 3.2G AM3 $159.99
1 x ($94.99) HD 1T|WD 7K 64M SATAIII WD1002FAEX - OEM $94.99
1 x ($99.99) WIN HOME PREM 7 64-BIT ENG 1PK DSP - OEM $99.99
1 x ($-10.00) DISCOUNT FOR COMBO #437534$-10.00
1 x ($-30.00) DISCOUNT FOR COMBO #430450$-30.00
1 x ($-5.39) DISCOUNT FOR COMBO #409138$-5.39
1 x ($-35.00) DISCOUNT FOR COMBO #432049$-35.00
1 x ($0.00) Newegg Promotional Gift Card(The total amount of Gift Cards: $10.00)


Total cost after shipping was: $1279.38

There are a few mail in rebates too, so I think it'll be closer to 1225$

Thanks to everyone for their help.


Nice, tell us how it turns out :>
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
R04R
Profile Joined March 2009
United States1631 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-17 04:54:18
July 17 2010 03:47 GMT
#648
IT'S AAALLLLLIIIIIVVVVVEEEE! :D

Update: Fuck yeah unlocked to 4 cores >:D

2nd Update: Damn, looks like it's not stable. It gets stuck after getting past CPU booting. Luckily I could still get to BIOs.
ô¿ô
Lanyth
Profile Joined July 2008
Canada62 Posts
July 17 2010 05:40 GMT
#649
I've been thinking of buying the Phenom II X4 955 BE, but I just wanted to know how good is the stock heatsink and fan, and whether or not it's worth to buy a better one.
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
July 17 2010 06:07 GMT
#650
On July 17 2010 14:40 Lanyth wrote:
I've been thinking of buying the Phenom II X4 955 BE, but I just wanted to know how good is the stock heatsink and fan, and whether or not it's worth to buy a better one.


If you don't plan on overclocking it isn't worth it. Even if you plan on overclocking, the HSF that comes with AMD BE CPUs is one of the best stock HSFs on the market (although this doesn't say too much). You can probably get 400MHz off of it without extra cooling.
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
Lanyth
Profile Joined July 2008
Canada62 Posts
July 17 2010 06:39 GMT
#651
On July 17 2010 15:07 FragKrag wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 17 2010 14:40 Lanyth wrote:
I've been thinking of buying the Phenom II X4 955 BE, but I just wanted to know how good is the stock heatsink and fan, and whether or not it's worth to buy a better one.


If you don't plan on overclocking it isn't worth it. Even if you plan on overclocking, the HSF that comes with AMD BE CPUs is one of the best stock HSFs on the market (although this doesn't say too much). You can probably get 400MHz off of it without extra cooling.

Thanks. I wasn't planning on overclocking so I probably won't be getting another HSF.
R04R
Profile Joined March 2009
United States1631 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-17 10:27:39
July 17 2010 10:04 GMT
#652
Updating drivers and stuff for everything. Hope I don't miss anything.

Edit: After playing around with the BIOS settings it seems like my 3rd core is faulty =/. Sure I could enable it but I won't get past Windows starting up.

I guess I'm a 3-core kinda guy now :3

Do I have to overclock the CPU through BIOS? There's OC Genie Lite, Easy OC, and manual OC. So many options I'm confused which to touch.
ô¿ô
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
July 17 2010 19:02 GMT
#653
BIOS is always the best way to overclock.
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
R04R
Profile Joined March 2009
United States1631 Posts
July 17 2010 21:53 GMT
#654
Yeah I overclocked through BIOS. Thing is OC Genie Lite does it all for you. I just enabled that through BIOS, restarted, then it got bumped up from 200 x 16.0 to 227 x 16.0. Now I'm at 3.648Ghz or something along that. I don't know how safe it is to go any further manually, so I'll just leave it at that as I'm content.
ô¿ô
semantics
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
10040 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-17 22:13:13
July 17 2010 22:13 GMT
#655
OC genie depending how old the variant is is pretty decient at finding max oc, it def wont do as good as manual tweaking of every value but it gets close within usually 200-400mhz
Templar.
Profile Joined May 2009
Canada133 Posts
July 17 2010 23:37 GMT
#656
i'd like some other people to try and make a better computer build , this way I can get a computer with maximum performance for the money.

(gaming computer)

Total comes to $ 889.93 American.

[image loading]
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
July 18 2010 00:56 GMT
#657
You don't need an 850W PSU.

Combo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.446024
5850 + Corsair 650TX
$355 ($10 MIR)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.449243
5850 + XFX 650W
$345 ($20 MIR)

The XFX looks like a great deal imho.

Not sure why you want the Caviar Black 500GB. Could get a Samsung F3 1TB for $10 more and get faster sequential speeds, more storage, and lower noise.

Low Voltage RAM (less than 1.5V) is more or less a gimmick. Just go with a decent set of 4GB Ripjaws or something.
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
Kyuukyuu
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Canada6263 Posts
July 18 2010 01:39 GMT
#658
I'm looking to get a new desktop for anywhere between $800-$1k, and since I know next to nothing about computer hardware I turn to TL for help :D. As far as what I want to do with it goes, there aren't a lot of super high-end programs that I need to run (ie. I don't need "computer that can run SC2 on ultra"), but I mean if it's doable in that price range without sacrificing much else that would definitely be fine too. Of course being a nerd, a decent video card is still necessary for those times I feel like playing some new asian MMO grindfest or whatever. This will just be a home computer for me to play games and homework and all that other standard junk.

So if anybody could help me out with a build or point to one earlier in the thread that's similar (I tried reading through this thread and just drowned in technobabble) that'd be great .
GTR
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
51694 Posts
July 18 2010 01:45 GMT
#659
On July 18 2010 10:39 Kyuukyuu wrote:
I'm looking to get a new desktop for anywhere between $800-$1k, and since I know next to nothing about computer hardware I turn to TL for help :D. As far as what I want to do with it goes, there aren't a lot of super high-end programs that I need to run (ie. I don't need "computer that can run SC2 on ultra"), but I mean if it's doable in that price range without sacrificing much else that would definitely be fine too. Of course being a nerd, a decent video card is still necessary for those times I feel like playing some new asian MMO grindfest or whatever. This will just be a home computer for me to play games and homework and all that other standard junk.

So if anybody could help me out with a build or point to one earlier in the thread that's similar (I tried reading through this thread and just drowned in technobabble) that'd be great .


sounds like this build would probably do you best, it was posted a couple of days ago

On July 15 2010 16:05 R04R wrote:
^Build posted above with GTX 460

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


With tax of 62.20 and shipping of 1.99 Grand total is $818.12
a bit over but you could replace the ram with a less "flashy" version like
this
or
this with EMCYVYW28 promo code <-actually this one is better than the one in your build so might as well switch it.
Commentator
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
July 18 2010 01:59 GMT
#660
I endorse that build. It's been a couple days, but normally prices on Newegg don't change every day, so many of those components will still cost the same. (I haven't seen the Phenom II X4 955 change in price in a long time).
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
Prev 1 31 32 33 34 35 42 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 5h 19m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 655
UpATreeSC 122
JuggernautJason27
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 19828
firebathero 200
Rush 139
Dewaltoss 85
Trap 25
Shine 22
Sexy 19
Bale 13
yabsab 9
Djem5 3
Dota 2
Gorgc7853
qojqva1425
monkeys_forever91
Counter-Strike
fl0m1538
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1858
crisheroes1251
Liquid`Hasu656
XaKoH 165
MindelVK10
Other Games
Grubby2992
FrodaN842
ceh9717
Beastyqt669
summit1g504
ArmadaUGS198
KnowMe167
byalli163
C9.Mang0158
Hui .143
QueenE105
Trikslyr64
Mew2King63
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV201
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream78
[ Show 17 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 7
• Migwel
• IndyKCrew
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• intothetv
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 31
• 80smullet 13
• FirePhoenix11
• ZZZeroYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• BSLYoutube
Dota 2
• Nemesis1751
League of Legends
• TFBlade1168
Other Games
• imaqtpie858
• Shiphtur248
• WagamamaTV248
Upcoming Events
OSC
5h 19m
Stellar Fest
18h 19m
OSC
1d 3h
CranKy Ducklings
1d 15h
Online Event
1d 16h
FEL
1d 21h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 22h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Disclosure: This page contains affiliate marketing links that support TLnet.

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.