• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 14:41
CEST 20:41
KST 03:41
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)48Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9200 users

Ultimate Computer Build Thread - Page 31

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 29 30 31 32 33 42 Next All
Easy772
Profile Joined May 2010
374 Posts
July 15 2010 21:18 GMT
#601
On July 16 2010 06:11 Empyrean wrote:
I'm not exactly sure, seeing as how I haven't owned a desktop computer in almost a decade, but desktop graphics capabilities are generally better than those of laptops, so you should have no trouble finding something to suit your needs. Hopefully someone else can give you a specific recommendation.


Yeah, I'm probably ordering it tonight, so maybe I'll just check out some reviews.

Thanks again
"The best way to improve is to play one matchup on one map doing one strategy.. if you are good at one strategy you are a good player, if you are okay at many strategies you are an okay player at best" -Day[9] 181
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
July 15 2010 21:23 GMT
#602
Easy772: Ati HD 4650, ATi HD 4670, Nvidia 9600 GSO
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
temps
Profile Joined April 2005
Canada62 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-15 21:24:39
July 15 2010 21:23 GMT
#603
I'm wondering if I will get a noticeable improvement (i.e. be able to play sc2 on at least medium and world of warcraft on the settings I want with a good frame rate) by upgrading my video card.

Current performance:
Currently 3v3/4v4 late game in sc2 even on low settings causes big problems.. 1v1 and 2v2 I have no problems running on medium except if carrier mother ship comes out.

In wow i get about 25 fps in dalaran.. 40ish outside of a city.. but in 25 man raids boss fights it drops down to 6 fps (that has forced me to pretty much only run 10 man raids to avoid the issue)

Current stats:
Acer AM5100-E5402A
OS: win7 64bit
Processor: AMD Phenom 9500 quad
Ram: 4GB DDR2
nVidia GeForce 8600 GS (OEM version of an 8600.. I did run some program to tell me the specs awhile ago but I forget exactly what they were. basically its a slower underclock card)

Question: Would upgrading the vid card let me run 30+ fps in 25 man raids and let me play 3v3 games in sc2??? Or would the system just bottle neck somewhere else.. I figure new vid card and psu to power the new card and I would be good to go. And what card should I get, that does what I want but is not overkill..
My Goal is to run sc2 and wow smoothly for another year or maybe two and then get a new computer.

Budget: 150-200$
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-15 21:31:24
July 15 2010 21:30 GMT
#604
I would suggest getting an Nvidia GTS 250 512MB for around $100 if you want a card that will get you over. If you want to spend the full $150-200, then you can get an ATi HD 5770 or an Nvidia GTX 460.
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
Easy772
Profile Joined May 2010
374 Posts
July 15 2010 22:23 GMT
#605
On July 16 2010 06:23 FragKrag wrote:
Easy772: Ati HD 4650, ATi HD 4670, Nvidia 9600 GSO


This one right?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00307XWT6/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

It looks great, theres even a review that says it works great with a 300w PSU. lol.
"The best way to improve is to play one matchup on one map doing one strategy.. if you are good at one strategy you are a good player, if you are okay at many strategies you are an okay player at best" -Day[9] 181
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
July 15 2010 23:31 GMT
#606
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500149
is the best choice imho

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102820

This isn't a bad choice either.
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
Easy772
Profile Joined May 2010
374 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-15 23:44:25
July 15 2010 23:42 GMT
#607
yeah I was looking at the 9600 gso as well.. For sure this will run with a 250w power supply? I'm looking on Amazon because I get free shipping from them

Edit: and are also low profile?
"The best way to improve is to play one matchup on one map doing one strategy.. if you are good at one strategy you are a good player, if you are okay at many strategies you are an okay player at best" -Day[9] 181
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-16 00:15:53
July 16 2010 00:14 GMT
#608
they should all be low profile. (or rather single slot)

250W should be fine for the 4650 and 4670 I think. 4650 is probably the safer bet. I believe the GSO will work as well.
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
Easy772
Profile Joined May 2010
374 Posts
July 16 2010 00:26 GMT
#609
Okay cool, because I'm not super tech savvy and if it doesn't say low profile in the description I'm not sure if it will fit. Thanks for the help man.
"The best way to improve is to play one matchup on one map doing one strategy.. if you are good at one strategy you are a good player, if you are okay at many strategies you are an okay player at best" -Day[9] 181
R04R
Profile Joined March 2009
United States1631 Posts
July 16 2010 01:26 GMT
#610
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_ATI_Graphics_Processing_Units#Radeon_R700_.28HD_4xxx.29_series

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Nvidia_graphics_processing_units#GeForce_9_.289xxx.29_series

TDP is the stat we're looking for right?

TDP for 9600 GSO 84~90W
TDP for 4650 48W
TDP for 4670 59W


I got all my stuff I ordered today...
For my CM 690 II
I could put in the tool-less pins for the hard drives on the... side where you connect the sata cable, but I can't/don't know how to put the pins on the other side. should I be fine or how do I figure this out?
ô¿ô
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
July 16 2010 01:41 GMT
#611
Wait, doesn't the CM 690 II use the plastic hard drive encasements that you just pop in and out?
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
R04R
Profile Joined March 2009
United States1631 Posts
July 16 2010 01:44 GMT
#612
yeah but they have these rubber "grommets" that keep them in place. I can't find out how to install both the front and back. I can only install either the front, or the back, but not both.

pictures about 3/4 down this page
http://www.virtual-hideout.net/reviews/CoolerMaster_CM690/index.shtml
ô¿ô
nineninja9
Profile Joined March 2010
United States194 Posts
July 16 2010 01:45 GMT
#613
Yeah you just slide it in.
R04R
Profile Joined March 2009
United States1631 Posts
July 16 2010 01:49 GMT
#614
I know I can slide the bay in, I just need to put in the white rubber "grommet" nubs in, but I can't.
ô¿ô
nineninja9
Profile Joined March 2010
United States194 Posts
July 16 2010 01:50 GMT
#615
You just need to get the hard drive in. Maybe you're being too gentle? I didn't have any problems with my 692 build.
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
July 16 2010 01:54 GMT
#616
Never built inside a 690, but I did build inside a 922 which should use the same hdd system. I don't remember any grommets and I just slid the HDDs in. I don't really think you need them...
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
R04R
Profile Joined March 2009
United States1631 Posts
July 16 2010 01:56 GMT
#617
Ohhhhhhh. See what I was doing was taking out the grommets, putting in the hard drive, then trying to put in the grommets.

I didn't know you could just force the hard drive into the pins... that doesn't sound safe at all.
ô¿ô
gchan
Profile Joined October 2007
United States654 Posts
July 16 2010 02:26 GMT
#618
http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?sduid=800767&t=2127580

For those people looking to buy a $200 card, the GTX 470 can be gotten for $205 out-the-door about now (free shipping, no tax in most states). I went for the GTX 460 myself because I plan to eventually SLI it + I wanted a shorter card, but the GTX 470 is pretty decent for $205.
nas3
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States16 Posts
July 16 2010 02:36 GMT
#619
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119215
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130563
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100015
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231190
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.431396
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.431396
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.436925
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.436925

just order this rig
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
July 16 2010 02:53 GMT
#620
The GTX 470 is an absolute STEAL at $205.

by the way, please post what the product is above the Newegg link. It's a bit annoying clicking through every link to see what is what.
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
Prev 1 29 30 31 32 33 42 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 5h 19m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 655
UpATreeSC 122
JuggernautJason27
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 19828
firebathero 200
Rush 139
Dewaltoss 85
Trap 25
Shine 22
Sexy 19
Bale 13
yabsab 9
Djem5 3
Dota 2
Gorgc7853
qojqva1425
monkeys_forever91
Counter-Strike
fl0m1538
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1858
crisheroes1251
Liquid`Hasu656
XaKoH 165
MindelVK10
Other Games
Grubby2992
FrodaN842
ceh9717
Beastyqt669
summit1g504
ArmadaUGS198
KnowMe167
byalli163
C9.Mang0158
Hui .143
QueenE105
Trikslyr64
Mew2King63
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV201
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream78
[ Show 17 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 7
• Migwel
• IndyKCrew
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• intothetv
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 31
• 80smullet 13
• FirePhoenix11
• ZZZeroYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• BSLYoutube
Dota 2
• Nemesis1751
League of Legends
• TFBlade1168
Other Games
• imaqtpie858
• Shiphtur248
• WagamamaTV248
Upcoming Events
OSC
5h 19m
Stellar Fest
18h 19m
OSC
1d 3h
CranKy Ducklings
1d 15h
Online Event
1d 16h
FEL
1d 21h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 22h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Disclosure: This page contains affiliate marketing links that support TLnet.

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.