• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 23:59
CEST 05:59
KST 12:59
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)54Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7493 users

Ultimate Computer Build Thread - Page 35

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 33 34 35 36 37 42 Next All
Gokey
Profile Joined November 2006
United States2722 Posts
July 18 2010 04:56 GMT
#681
Okay, so I tweaked a lot of my build now... Anyone with suggestions/comments?

$650 minus about $60 in rebates = Hopefully $590 if all the rebates come back =\

Going for bang-for-the-buck stuff still...

[image loading]
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-18 04:58:43
July 18 2010 04:57 GMT
#682
Antec 900 is not a good case for the money. It has trouble with larger HSFs, and you would be better off investing in a better motherboard with an AM3 socket and DDR3 instead of getting that Antec 900.

Consider this case instead
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119215
or this Antec 300
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129042
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
nineninja9
Profile Joined March 2010
United States194 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-18 05:01:15
July 18 2010 04:59 GMT
#683
The best single GPU is ATI, but the 5970 is a particularly difficult choice to justify.

Edit: I've heard that the cable management in the 300 is a bit difficult, so at the same price I think I'd pick the cm692.
semantics
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
10040 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-18 05:00:47
July 18 2010 05:00 GMT
#684
There are good cases for 30-50 dollars cheaper.

I would rather see that go into a after market heatsink/better mobo.

At your price range although a case is a good investment, it's not something that should be high on the list of things to prioritize. At the 1k+ i like to see people spend more on a case because likely they can afford one of great size and quality one they will use over and over.
TanGeng
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Sanya12364 Posts
July 18 2010 05:09 GMT
#685
On July 18 2010 13:55 FragKrag wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 18 2010 13:24 TanGeng wrote:
Any one have intel i7 build? (cpu + motherboard + memory)

I've looked at the recent ones and they are all AMD. Is there any reason for that?


I have an Intel i7 build. The recent ones are AMD because the budget is not high enough to allow for a good i7 build.

Do you have a link to one? I'll try to search back through the posts, but if you could point, that'd be faster for me.
Moderator我们是个踏实的赞助商模式俱乐部
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-18 05:12:34
July 18 2010 05:12 GMT
#686
Oh, I mean my current computer is an Intel i7. I could make you an i7 build if given a budget, though I wouldn't recommend spending less than $1200 or so on an i7 build.
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
Gokey
Profile Joined November 2006
United States2722 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-18 05:32:32
July 18 2010 05:13 GMT
#687
Great points on the case; it was definitely a bit overkill... Changed to the Cooler Master 534 and saved 30 bucks =)

One thing I don't understand... What is not so good about the Biostar A785G3? It seems to have most of the functions I needed (PCI-E, DDR1066 support for my RAM, AC3)...

Also, is DDR3 @1600 worth to get more than @1333 right now?
TanGeng
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Sanya12364 Posts
July 18 2010 05:14 GMT
#688
I'm looking at 1000-1500 for the box unless there is already an extreme amount of diminishing bang for the buck at that price.
Moderator我们是个踏实的赞助商模式俱乐部
nineninja9
Profile Joined March 2010
United States194 Posts
July 18 2010 05:17 GMT
#689
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Should give you an idea of the price range, but like fragkrag said, you should only consider an i7 build if you have a generous budget.
TanGeng
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Sanya12364 Posts
July 18 2010 05:23 GMT
#690
A fermi. Probably a top of the line Fermi as well. Hmmm.

So I should do an i7-bloomfield at that price range.
Moderator我们是个踏实的赞助商模式俱乐部
TanGeng
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Sanya12364 Posts
July 18 2010 05:44 GMT
#691
Those combo savings are really nice. I wish I got onto one of those.
Moderator我们是个踏实的赞助商模式俱乐部
nineninja9
Profile Joined March 2010
United States194 Posts
July 18 2010 06:06 GMT
#692
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


How about this Gokey? By the way, the $30 in promo codes only last for another day. Also, you can fit in a 460 if you insist on AM2 to save money.


Tangeng, there are combo deals quite regularly, you should be able to find comparable ones no matter what. In addition, if you live close to a microcenter, pick up an i7-930 $200.
Myrmidon
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States9452 Posts
July 18 2010 06:07 GMT
#693
I'm surprised that nobody mentioned how much ATI Linux driver support blows, or is that not as true anymore? I heard that since AMD acquired ATI, they started pushing towards better driver support (and of course driver development is a slow and difficult process), but Nvidia Linux drivers are probably still a lot better.

Also I think there's probably a lot of diminishing price/performance for CPU/GPU/etc. at the $1000-1500 range, especially considering how fast those parts get outdated. I think a decent SSD and slightly less top-of-the-line CPU/GPU/etc. would be the better value for day-to-day usage. Sure, current SSDs will become outdated too, but SSD random access times are already a couple orders of magnitude better than HDD random access. The difference between SSD and HDD will just go from huge to (slightly more) huge.

I think you want an SSD with TRIM btw, unless there's been some magic developments in SSD technology I don't know about. One caveat: TRIM was integrated in Linux kernel 2.6.33 (according to wiki), which some/many distros aren't up to yet.
TanGeng
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Sanya12364 Posts
July 18 2010 06:18 GMT
#694
ATI linux drivers still blow. It's just not as bad.
Moderator我们是个踏实的赞助商模式俱乐部
TanGeng
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Sanya12364 Posts
July 18 2010 06:24 GMT
#695
On July 18 2010 15:06 nineninja9 wrote:
Tangeng, there are combo deals quite regularly, you should be able to find comparable ones no matter what. In addition, if you live close to a microcenter, pick up an i7-930 $200.


This - how much longer does it last?
Moderator我们是个踏实的赞助商模式俱乐部
TanGeng
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Sanya12364 Posts
July 18 2010 06:27 GMT
#696
On July 18 2010 15:07 Myrmidon wrote:
Also I think there's probably a lot of diminishing price/performance for CPU/GPU/etc. at the $1000-1500 range, especially considering how fast those parts get outdated. I think a decent SSD and slightly less top-of-the-line CPU/GPU/etc. would be the better value for day-to-day usage. Sure, current SSDs will become outdated too, but SSD random access times are already a couple orders of magnitude better than HDD random access. The difference between SSD and HDD will just go from huge to (slightly more) huge.


I'm considering an SSD for my build.
I'm also considering a GTX 470. I'm just thinking that the fermi architecture might be something I want to play with.
Moderator我们是个踏实的赞助商模式俱乐部
Gokey
Profile Joined November 2006
United States2722 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-18 06:28:44
July 18 2010 06:27 GMT
#697
On July 18 2010 15:06 nineninja9 wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


How about this Gokey? By the way, the $30 in promo codes only last for another day. Also, you can fit in a 460 if you insist on AM2 to save money.


Tangeng, there are combo deals quite regularly, you should be able to find comparable ones no matter what. In addition, if you live close to a microcenter, pick up an i7-930 $200.


Thanks for the suggestions!

Questions:

1. Do you or anyone know whether the 32mb hard drive cache in the 1TB Samsung Spinpoint makes a huge difference over the 16mb hard drive cache in the 500GB Spinpoint?

2. Also, is DDR3 1600 much faster than DDR3 1333 in DDR3 right now?

3. Lastly, the 400W power supply doesn't seem to be enough?
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
July 18 2010 06:31 GMT
#698
On July 18 2010 14:14 TanGeng wrote:
I'm looking at 1000-1500 for the box unless there is already an extreme amount of diminishing bang for the buck at that price.


If I were you I would throw 2 GTX 460 1GB in SLI with an i7 930. Best bang for the buck combo atm that fits in your budget.

Gokey: Cache tends to serve very little purpose other than sequential reads/writes. DDR3 1600 vs 1333 makes almost no difference.
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
TanGeng
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Sanya12364 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-18 06:40:25
July 18 2010 06:39 GMT
#699
On July 18 2010 15:31 FragKrag wrote:
If I were you I would throw 2 GTX 460 1GB in SLI with an i7 930. Best bang for the buck combo atm that fits in your budget.


Nice suggestion. I was just thinking that the PCI-e was going to be a bottleneck. Having two of them would work nicely, but I've thought that SLI wasn't implemented optimally. Maybe it has improved.
Moderator我们是个踏实的赞助商模式俱乐部
Gokey
Profile Joined November 2006
United States2722 Posts
July 18 2010 06:46 GMT
#700
Thanks for help FragKrag and nineninja and semantics and everyone... I feel like I'm coming to deciding on the final build now...

1. I do like the BioStar mobo... It has all the basics I need (DDR3 1333, AM3, PCI-E 2.0...). Only thing it's missing is USB 3.0 and that it has only 2 memory slots...

2. The other thing I'm a little worried about is whether the processor (Athlon II 635) is lagging a bit and may be outdated too soon? (although this is a min-max budget build...)

3. Also, any tips on how to save on the Operating System? I think I can transfer an old Vista or XP operating system to this computer without spending $100 on Windows 7. I've done it a while ago, by calling Microsoft and saying I replaced a hard drive and needed to have the Windows unique key replaced... Although, if you guys think Windows 7 is worth the $100, maybe I'll buy it?...

[image loading]
Prev 1 33 34 35 36 37 42 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
00:00
OSC Elite Rising Star #21
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 177
ProTech121
Nina 35
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2249
Shuttle 1258
Dewaltoss 55
Bale 52
Noble 46
Snow 44
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm165
Counter-Strike
Coldzera 1051
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King300
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor528
Other Games
summit1g9160
JimRising 710
C9.Mang0311
PiGStarcraft297
ArmadaUGS56
ViBE54
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV246
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream72
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• davetesta21
• Response 7
• Letter146
• practicex 5
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo942
• Stunt199
Other Games
• Scarra787
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
9h 1m
OSC
18h 1m
CranKy Ducklings
1d 6h
Online Event
1d 7h
FEL
1d 12h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 13h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 15h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.