• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 23:59
CEST 05:59
KST 12:59
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)54Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7460 users

Ultimate Computer Build Thread - Page 28

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 26 27 28 29 30 42 Next All
7mk
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Germany10157 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-14 19:33:10
July 14 2010 19:32 GMT
#541
On July 15 2010 04:10 FragKrag wrote:
TDP is not the amount of power it sucks up

TDP is the amout of power that is wasted through heat. they are completely different.

Antec 1200 has like 6 fans and if he plans on adding other hard drives, the 850W will come in handy. 750W should be more than enough, but I don't think 650W will account for any overclocking/extra hdds.

And in general, stay away from Enermax PSUs. They may be some of the best, but they are so overpriced that it nulls any advantage. Even the highest end Seasonic X-750 is cheaper than an Enermax 750. Corsair is cheaper too generally.



I'm pretty sure I'm never gonna get another HDD (except for the 1TB External I already have, that one will barely ever be plugged in though) but I'll most likely overclock. so I guess I'll get the 750W XFX XPS?
beep boop
semantics
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
10040 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-14 19:49:28
July 14 2010 19:44 GMT
#542
On July 15 2010 04:10 FragKrag wrote:
TDP is not the amount of power it sucks up

TDP is the amout of power that is wasted through heat. they are completely different.

Antec 1200 has like 6 fans and if he plans on adding other hard drives, the 850W will come in handy. 750W should be more than enough, but I don't think 650W will account for any overclocking/extra hdds.

And in general, stay away from Enermax PSUs. They may be some of the best, but they are so overpriced that it nulls any advantage. Even the highest end Seasonic X-750 is cheaper than an Enermax 750. Corsair is cheaper too generally.

you are wrong and right

160 TDP is actually called 160 watt TDP meaning it is designed to displace 160 watts of power.
Although most times TDP doesn't mean the max power the thing can draw it usually does mean around the power it will draw under avg usage(in other words it's designed thermal displacement, which for a gpu is around the max draw) which is a good way to measure power requirements on gpus.

Although it's not actually the wattage drawn by the gpu it is around the intended wattage.
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-14 20:01:05
July 14 2010 20:00 GMT
#543
On July 15 2010 04:32 7mk wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 15 2010 04:10 FragKrag wrote:
TDP is not the amount of power it sucks up

TDP is the amout of power that is wasted through heat. they are completely different.

Antec 1200 has like 6 fans and if he plans on adding other hard drives, the 850W will come in handy. 750W should be more than enough, but I don't think 650W will account for any overclocking/extra hdds.

And in general, stay away from Enermax PSUs. They may be some of the best, but they are so overpriced that it nulls any advantage. Even the highest end Seasonic X-750 is cheaper than an Enermax 750. Corsair is cheaper too generally.



I'm pretty sure I'm never gonna get another HDD (except for the 1TB External I already have, that one will barely ever be plugged in though) but I'll most likely overclock. so I guess I'll get the 750W XFX XPS?


Yeah that should be more than adequate.

semantics TDP Power draw correlations are wrong all the time, and it should be a number that is ignored unless you want to know how much heat it gives off. It does not mean the average power it would draw under average usage either. It's the power that it would dissipate under average usage.
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
7mk
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Germany10157 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-14 21:39:59
July 14 2010 21:16 GMT
#544
Also one more question:
Do I not need an additional CPU cooler?
Basically on alternate.de when I select a CPU (i5 750) it automatically checks the CPU category AND the CPU cooler category, meaning that I have both.
But is that enough? Might I need some sort of additional CPU cooler if I wanna overclock?
beep boop
nineninja9
Profile Joined March 2010
United States194 Posts
July 14 2010 21:38 GMT
#545
That motherboard has onboard LAN support, though if you want to use wireless you'll have to buy an adapter of some sort.
7mk
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Germany10157 Posts
July 14 2010 21:40 GMT
#546
On July 15 2010 06:38 nineninja9 wrote:
That motherboard has onboard LAN support, though if you want to use wireless you'll have to buy an adapter of some sort.

ok thx
beep boop
LokitAK
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Japan90 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-14 21:56:16
July 14 2010 21:53 GMT
#547
My build was pretty cheap, and well worth it. Almost everything was purchased from NewEgg.

Antec 300 Black Steel ATX MidTower Case $54.95
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready $109.99
G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM $169.99
GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard $209.99
Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor $288.99
^If you're near a Micro Center, you can get it in-store pickup for 200$^
ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm Fluid Dynamic CPU Cooler $39.98
ATI Radeon HD 5670 $79.99 (Need to upgrade, this is the bottleneck of the system.)

Overall price was around 1,000$. (A tad cheaper with the processor deal)
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
July 14 2010 22:11 GMT
#548
You will need an additional CPU cooler if you want to overclock. The stock LGA 1156 heatsink is very dinky and weak.
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
KulSsunG
Profile Blog Joined December 2003
United States53 Posts
July 14 2010 22:40 GMT
#549
Hey guys, I've been reading through all the posts and still am not 100% sure in what I want for a new PC and I hope you guys can help me out with some suggestions

Basically, this is what I'm looking for:
- Gaming PC (SC2, LoL, CS:S)
- Streaming capabilities for said games
- Reliable (aka, no heating issues and prob not looking to OC, but am open to it if it's worth it)

Budget: $500-$1000 (The reason I give a range is if a much better option is available for a slightly higher price then I'll opt for that)

Also, can anyone recommend a good monitor that has hdmi/comonent input so I can use my ps3 with it?

any suggestions and input is appreciated~
Empty Space
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-14 23:16:43
July 14 2010 23:14 GMT
#550
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.436925
Phenom II X4 955 + Gigabyte 870 Motherboard
$250

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.437504.11-119-215
Cooler Master 690ii + Windows 7
$160

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231190
4GB GSkill DDR3
$92

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.431396
Samsung F3 1TB + Corsair 650W (definitely overkill, but it isn't a bad value)
$145

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121387
ASUS GTX 460
$200

Total $847

This will run SC2 on Ultra at any resolution below 1680x1050 and give you plenty of headroom for streaming. Almost definitely capable of Ultra at 1920x1080 as well. However, if you are playing at around 1920x1080 you will probably want to spend an extra $20 on a 1GB version of the GTX 460.

If you don't need that kind of power you can save $50 by going with
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161338
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102858
ATi HD 5770.
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
nineninja9
Profile Joined March 2010
United States194 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-14 23:39:11
July 14 2010 23:35 GMT
#551
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Windows7 not included. The motherboard was chosen because of price, so if you want to xfire/sli or use usb3/sata2 you should spend an extra $15 on a better one. Shipping on most items are free so shipping comes out to about $5, and promo code EMCYVYW52 saves you another $10 on the monito. It also comes with a $10 gift card which basically translates into a free hdmi cable if you don't already have one.

If you can't tell I was trying to keep it under $1000, but again since I didn't include windows I somewhat cheated.
KulSsunG
Profile Blog Joined December 2003
United States53 Posts
July 15 2010 00:04 GMT
#552
On July 15 2010 08:14 FragKrag wrote:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.436925
Phenom II X4 955 + Gigabyte 870 Motherboard
$250

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.437504.11-119-215
Cooler Master 690ii + Windows 7
$160

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231190
4GB GSkill DDR3
$92

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.431396
Samsung F3 1TB + Corsair 650W (definitely overkill, but it isn't a bad value)
$145

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121387
ASUS GTX 460
$200

Total $847

This will run SC2 on Ultra at any resolution below 1680x1050 and give you plenty of headroom for streaming. Almost definitely capable of Ultra at 1920x1080 as well. However, if you are playing at around 1920x1080 you will probably want to spend an extra $20 on a 1GB version of the GTX 460.

If you don't need that kind of power you can save $50 by going with
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161338
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102858
ATi HD 5770.


Thanks for the prompt reply Frag! Anyways, if I was to sink in $1000 at least, do you think it would be worth it price wise? I like the build you gave me though and I'll do some more research b4 i go ahead and buy the parts.
Empty Space
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-15 00:06:34
July 15 2010 00:06 GMT
#553
If you were to sink an extra $150 into your build, it would let you get a better heatsink for overclocking, and probably a better GPU. Depending on what heatsink/fan configuration you chose.\

You could also sink $40 or so into a 6 core, though I don't recommend it for your purposes.
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
IntoTheWow
Profile Blog Joined May 2004
is awesome32282 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-15 00:15:20
July 15 2010 00:14 GMT
#554
Unless he wants to encode his own vods :p

edit: but it won't be needed for streaming or games at all
Moderator<:3-/-<
KulSsunG
Profile Blog Joined December 2003
United States53 Posts
July 15 2010 00:17 GMT
#555
haha, I wont be doing too much encoding so I think I'm fine with the suggested CPU. Ill post a final build later today just to make sure everything looks good.
Empty Space
nas3
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States16 Posts
July 15 2010 02:57 GMT
#556
Hello TL my current computer basically crapped itself out and I am wondering if you guys could help me and answer a few questions. I looked at the super build computer thread and saw some of the computers but have absolutely no idea what I am doing so I was super confused at it. What are the necessary parts to build a computer for scratch like I know you need a graphics card a motherboard a mobo and a ton of other shit 2. What are some of the better computer parts my budget is around 800ish and im looking for something that wont really have to much trouble running current gen games at a mediumish setting.
Thanks and sorry I know this probably comes up a lot here.
R04R
Profile Joined March 2009
United States1631 Posts
July 15 2010 03:12 GMT
#557
nas3 Read the first post in this thread

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=113094

I just read it a couple hours ago and I thought it was super helpful for beginner builders even though the original intent of the post was to test computer build specs against SCII.

You should be able to differentiate what information isn't needed and what is needed to shorten your read if you feel it's too tedious.
ô¿ô
nas3
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States16 Posts
July 15 2010 03:27 GMT
#558
Also how hard would it be to put all the parts together once you have received them?
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
July 15 2010 03:29 GMT
#559
nas3 if it's your first time, a few youtube videos + around 3-4 hours will be good enough. It's not hard at all if you read the direction THOROUGHLY and don't proceed before you FULLY know what you are doing.
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
MrBitter
Profile Joined January 2008
United States2940 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-15 03:35:36
July 15 2010 03:31 GMT
#560
Slightly off topic, but could use some advice:

Wanting to buy a new rig. I don't want to build it myself. I kinda like this rig: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883113122

Can anyone raise any real objections to it?

Thanks in advance.
Prev 1 26 27 28 29 30 42 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
00:00
OSC Elite Rising Star #21
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 177
ProTech121
Nina 35
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2249
Shuttle 1258
Dewaltoss 55
Bale 52
Noble 46
Snow 44
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm165
Counter-Strike
Coldzera 1051
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King300
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor528
Other Games
summit1g9160
JimRising 710
C9.Mang0311
PiGStarcraft297
ArmadaUGS56
ViBE54
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV246
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream72
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• davetesta21
• Response 7
• Letter146
• practicex 5
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo942
• Stunt199
Other Games
• Scarra787
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
9h 1m
OSC
18h 1m
CranKy Ducklings
1d 6h
Online Event
1d 7h
FEL
1d 12h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 13h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 15h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.