• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 07:15
CEST 13:15
KST 20:15
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)55Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9525 users

Ultimate Computer Build Thread - Page 15

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 13 14 15 16 17 42 Next All
haduken
Profile Blog Joined April 2003
Australia8267 Posts
July 02 2010 00:59 GMT
#281
On July 02 2010 09:52 FragKrag wrote:
You're better off with a modular power supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151093


Yeah go with that. lol the price just keep going up.
Rillanon.au
maareek
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
United States2042 Posts
July 02 2010 01:04 GMT
#282
Yeah, I wouldn't have noticed it either if I was dogging Newegg constantly looking for a big 5770 deal. At that price, I agree the 1TB Caviar Black is probably the better choice for somebody not looking to add an SSD later.
FrozenArbiter: Obless PvT master
OpticalShot
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Canada6330 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-05 08:29:33
July 02 2010 01:07 GMT
#283
Just built my new desktop a week ago!

Power
- Antec Earthwatts 650W ATX12V V2.2 EPS12V Active PFC 80PLUS 120MM Fan
Motherboard
- Gigabyte 890GPA-UD3H 890GX DDR3 SATA3 USB3.0 HDMI GBLAN CrossFireX
CPU
- AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 2.8GHZ
GPU
- Radeon HD 5770 850MHZ 1GB 4.8GHZ GDDR5 2XDVI HDMI Display Port DX11 PCI-E
RAM
- G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ PC3-12800 4GB 2X2GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 240PIN
HDD
- Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA3 6GB/S 7200RPM 64MB Cache 3.5IN Dual Proc
HSF
- Zalman CNPS9900NT CPU Cooler 120MM LGA1366 1156 775 AM3 754 939 940 2000RPM 38DBA
Case
- Antec 300 Versatile Mini Tower
DVD Drive
- LG GH24NS50 SATA 24X DVD-RW

Bought them from NCIX and Canada Computers. Ncix had a good deal for the Motherboard+CPU but it's probably gone now...

Total Cost: Just about $900 Canadian after all applicable taxes and misc. costs.
[TLMS] REBOOT
haduken
Profile Blog Joined April 2003
Australia8267 Posts
July 02 2010 01:14 GMT
#284
is 890GX the one that does full PCI-E x16 or is it the FX?
Rillanon.au
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-02 01:26:59
July 02 2010 01:26 GMT
#285
The FX is the one that has 2 full PCIe 2.0 x16 lanes.

The 890GX and 890X are essentially the AMD equivalent of the P55. (except the G has integrated graphics)

I always thought of it as Full Xfire.
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
yakitate304
Profile Joined April 2009
United States655 Posts
July 02 2010 03:28 GMT
#286
Thanks everyone!

On July 02 2010 09:52 FragKrag wrote:
You're better off with a modular power supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151093


Sweet, I swapped out the Antec for this. I wasn't sure what "modular" meant but I googled it and saw a picture - I'm definitely getting a modular one after seeing that. The fewer wires I have to fiddle around with, the better.


I'm kind of split regarding the Hawk vs. the Sapphire 5770. I feel like I might try to overclock sometime down the line (if it doesn't shorten the lifespan of the unit) but I'm not sure if I want to spend an extra 20 bucks on it. Would the Sapphire be able to handle minor overclocking, or should I go for the Hawk if I plan to do ANY at all?


I assume I can remove the DVD/RW drives from my current computer and use them in the new one. At some point I'd like to get a dual layer burner since I have a modded 360, but that will come later on.


So with the Sapphire (and the SeaSonic PSU) added, the total comes to $738, plus 10 for shipping.

I won't be purchasing yet, probably not for another week or so... But I'm glad I have a build in front of me.
Yaki's Streaming Madness: twitch.tv/YakiSC ||| FRB Grand Tournament Organizer ||| @YakiStarCraft ||| Youtube.com/YakiStarCraft
maareek
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
United States2042 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-02 04:05:46
July 02 2010 03:44 GMT
#287
You'll probably have to pay significantly more for those parts next week than you will this week, as right now newegg is having sales on a good portion of their products (edit: "significantly" is probably overstating it, but probably an extra $30+ for the parts listed). Just letting you know. Not trying to tell you to buy now, just want you to know what to expect.

Also, I didn't see you mention an OS anywhere. Since you say you're not too knowledgeable and want to game quite a bit, I assume you'll want Windows (7), which will tack on another ~$95. Unless you have a copy or plan to go another route. Just want to be sure that hasn't slipped your mind.

Lastly, your old optical drive probably uses an IDE connector. You should be able to reuse it, but make sure you read up on connecting them properly.
FrozenArbiter: Obless PvT master
sith
Profile Blog Joined July 2005
United States2474 Posts
July 02 2010 04:51 GMT
#288
I posted my story originally in this thread: http://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=71476, but I've moved on since then and decided to buy a completely new laptop that isn't a tablet. Here is kind of what I'm looking for:

- i5 or i7 Processor
- 4GB of ram (at least)
- Dedicated Graphics (Good enough to play some recent games at medium settings...*cough* Starcraft II)
- ~15.6" or lower screen size
- 500GB 7200RPM or higher HD
- 3+ year warranty that includes accident coverage

Budget: UNDER $1300

Not sure if this is the correct thread for this but I couldn't find a laptop specific one with a bit of searching. Anyway...who makes the best laptops these days? I customized a few Dell's (like Studio 15's) and they came out around $1.1k, but I've heard that Dell's "Home" customer service is shit and I would like a graphics card a bit better than a ATI Radeon HD 5470 1GB if possible.

Can anyone recommend a particular brand with excellent customer support that is in my budget? These are the laptops that are available for purchase directly through the school. VT School Bookstore Some appear to be a decent deal, but I'm not really familiar with the latest gen of graphics cards. The only real advantage to buying it through the school is that they have warranty support on-hand...I'm not incredibly worried about not having that. So yeah.

Thanks for any and all help.
semantics
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
10040 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-02 05:22:11
July 02 2010 05:19 GMT
#289
http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.php?page=products
sager
although generally
http://www.xoticpc.com/custom-gaming-laptops-notebooks-gaming-laptops-ct-118_96_98.html

will have the same notebook for cheaper.

dells can work out if you can get one of their coupons my friend got 30% off his purchase from dell which made a not worth it laptop worth it.
http://www.notebookreview.com/dellCoupon.asp

If you want a really tailored feedback read this post and start a thread on this fourm they are usually quite on the up and up.
http://forum.notebookreview.com/what-notebook-should-i-buy/29271-what-should-i-buy-form-must-read-before-posting.html
yakitate304
Profile Joined April 2009
United States655 Posts
July 02 2010 05:30 GMT
#290
On July 02 2010 12:44 maareek wrote:
You'll probably have to pay significantly more for those parts next week than you will this week, as right now newegg is having sales on a good portion of their products (edit: "significantly" is probably overstating it, but probably an extra $30+ for the parts listed). Just letting you know. Not trying to tell you to buy now, just want you to know what to expect.

Also, I didn't see you mention an OS anywhere. Since you say you're not too knowledgeable and want to game quite a bit, I assume you'll want Windows (7), which will tack on another ~$95. Unless you have a copy or plan to go another route. Just want to be sure that hasn't slipped your mind.

Lastly, your old optical drive probably uses an IDE connector. You should be able to reuse it, but make sure you read up on connecting them properly.


Yeah, I'll be getting Windows 7. Wish it wasn't so expensive, but whatever. I'm not going to go the Linux route. Thanks for the heads up about the sale prices.
Yaki's Streaming Madness: twitch.tv/YakiSC ||| FRB Grand Tournament Organizer ||| @YakiStarCraft ||| Youtube.com/YakiStarCraft
Craton
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States17303 Posts
July 02 2010 06:03 GMT
#291
On July 01 2010 07:04 yakitate304 wrote:
apparently it is "unshielded" (no idea...) so there is a lot of static noise coming through the headphones.


Mmm, I don't think it's uncommon for cabling to be unshielded. You've got a bunch of wires inside the protective rubber casing (the rubber being what people generally think of as the wire), and shielding is a lining between the interior cables and the rubber casing, which helps to block out electrical/radio/etc. interference.
twitch.tv/cratonz
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
July 02 2010 06:09 GMT
#292
Just saying right now that my Antec 300 does have static when you use the front panel audio
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
haduken
Profile Blog Joined April 2003
Australia8267 Posts
July 02 2010 08:26 GMT
#293
Just get a speaker with audio pass through and run your headphone from that.
Rillanon.au
Humbug
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States264 Posts
July 02 2010 08:33 GMT
#294
How often should I replace my PSU? I've had my helluva trusty FSP 450w for a good two years or so and it's still running strong. I'm just worried that it'll die soon and take out the rest of my parts with it...
What is an angel? Show me an angel and I shall paint one
haduken
Profile Blog Joined April 2003
Australia8267 Posts
July 02 2010 09:22 GMT
#295
I would replace it every 3 years or so. But that's just me. Good quality PSU should have circuit breakers and such to NOT kill the rest of your rig.
Rillanon.au
yakitate304
Profile Joined April 2009
United States655 Posts
July 03 2010 06:21 GMT
#296
I ordered my computer a few hours ago. Thanks for all the help and suggestions, everyone.

I replaced the RAM I had listed on my previous post, because someone on a hockey forum that I post on told me that I should get the "PC3 12800" rather than the 10666... Same price, so I figured I might as well even though I have no idea what it does.



CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor $160

Mobo: MSI 870A-G54 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard $110

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL $99

HDD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s $80

GPU: SAPPHIRE 100283-3L Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card $150 ($10 dollars off with a promo code, thanks maareek!)

Case: Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case $60

PSU: SeaSonic M12II 520 Bronze 520W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply $75

-------
Total Price: $724.89


Plus $95 for Windows 7 Home Premium...

Grand total of: $829.53



Yaki's Streaming Madness: twitch.tv/YakiSC ||| FRB Grand Tournament Organizer ||| @YakiStarCraft ||| Youtube.com/YakiStarCraft
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
July 03 2010 06:45 GMT
#297
PC3 12800 is a fancy way of saying 1600MHz ram

1600x8 = 12800

whereas PC3 10666 is just 1333MHz ram

1333x8 ~ 10666

At one point in the not so distant past, the memory controller on AMD CPUs would have problem getting to the 1600MHz speed so I normally don't recommend that speed. They probably fixed it by now though. As far as performance goes, you will see absolutely 0 difference unless you are stressing your memory to 100%.
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
haduken
Profile Blog Joined April 2003
Australia8267 Posts
July 03 2010 08:41 GMT
#298
Good Stuff. Yeah, 1600 RAM is a waste of money if you don't over clock or some fancy shit with your computer. But if it's the same money what the hell.
Rillanon.au
yakitate304
Profile Joined April 2009
United States655 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-03 18:13:33
July 03 2010 18:07 GMT
#299
OK, one last question (at least until the stuff arrives)...


The Phenom comes with a thermal pad already applied, so I don't need to buy anything like Arctic Silver, right?
Yaki's Streaming Madness: twitch.tv/YakiSC ||| FRB Grand Tournament Organizer ||| @YakiStarCraft ||| Youtube.com/YakiStarCraft
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
July 03 2010 21:10 GMT
#300
No you do not.

and don't buy arctic silver even if you need a TIM
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
Prev 1 13 14 15 16 17 42 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 45m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko306
SpeCial 104
ProTech82
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 15849
firebathero 2115
Bisu 1073
Hyuk 662
Horang2 507
Larva 262
BeSt 261
Mini 185
Light 165
EffOrt 143
[ Show more ]
Soma 118
Barracks 101
Leta 97
Rush 77
Mong 73
ZerO 66
Snow 58
Pusan 51
Killer 50
Shinee 40
ToSsGirL 38
Aegong 37
NaDa 34
Yoon 31
Sharp 31
Mind 29
Sexy 29
Sea.KH 25
zelot 24
Bale 22
sorry 18
Sacsri 15
Noble 14
JulyZerg 13
ajuk12(nOOB) 13
Terrorterran 6
Dota 2
XaKoH 299
Fuzer 161
Counter-Strike
shoxiejesuss841
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1048
crisheroes995
Other Games
gofns31187
singsing1967
olofmeister1136
B2W.Neo223
Livibee90
Mew2King84
ArmadaUGS59
ZerO(Twitch)13
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream205
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH138
• StrangeGG 39
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix6
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
1h 45m
OSC
10h 45m
CranKy Ducklings
22h 45m
Online Event
23h 45m
FEL
1d 4h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 5h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 7h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 22h
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.