• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 09:17
CEST 15:17
KST 22:17
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)65Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2314
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Klaucher discontinued / in-game color settings BW General Discussion BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder ASL22 General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 13458 users

[Q] Archons Instead of Templar - Page 4

Forum Index > Brood War Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 All
AttackZerg
Profile Blog Joined January 2003
United States7637 Posts
December 09 2008 05:25 GMT
#61
On December 07 2008 00:48 MiniRoman wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 05 2008 11:19 AttackZerg wrote:
I'm just going to reiterate a few of the points that were correctly made in this thread.

1. archons deal impressive damage AND are meat shields.
2. Vs 5 hat scourge -> hydra/lurker 2 archons + zealots can mow down a huge base with 2-3 lurkers + 1 sunken very easily, this preasure causes alot of zergs to overproduce hydras which makes for slow lair/grades/4th base.
(Edit; this is my theoretical opinion of superior strategy against 5 hat scourge first play, number 2 isn't definative and is based on my study/understanding of ZvP at the b- level and the pro gaming, PvZ trends of recent times.)
3. a Timming archon/zealot moveout is a counter to macro zerg.
4. Archons protect templar and zealots while templar can only do so much.

I think early-midgame archons are very very strong instead of early temps.


Just have to say that if Z is fighting an army heavy protoss and their idea of safety is 2-3 lurks and one sunken then obviously they gonna get smacked. Make 3+ sunks and turtle your lurks and toss wont be able to hit you with shit until they've invested in a good goon count.


Just have to say that if Z is fighting an army heavy protoss and their idea of safety is 2-3 lurks and one sunken then obviously they gonna get smacked. Make 3+ sunks and turtle your lurks and toss wont be able to hit you with shit until they've invested in a good goon count.[/QUOTE]


The problem is getting a real amount of static defence on alot of modern maps just isn't that feasable for zerg. They end up with there natural and third and 4th (alot of times) fighting as seperate static fronts, zerg Cannot cost effectively build lurker/sunken/spore at more then 1 base without being dramatically ahead when doing so.

You are right those small numbers of defending units will get smashed, and quickly.

This modern toss style trys to preasure the zerg hard enough for them to crack OR make them overdefend while they take a third base. If zerg doesn't cost effectively defelect protoss zealot/archon they will be pretty far behind. Also spending that money agrees in completely relinquishing map control to protoss. Most professional zergs are using hydra heavy early-midgame and even lategame to avoid losing complete map control early on.
Liquid`Drone
Profile Joined September 2002
Norway28900 Posts
December 09 2008 09:43 GMT
#62
its much easier to face a group of zealots+2 templars than zealots + 1 archon
zealots + 2 templars = use 12 speedlings to kill templars then attack with the rest of your force
vs zealots+archon you actually need to have a superior force. pressuring early with +1 speedzealot and 1 archon forces zerg to sacrifice economy more than he would have to if you pressure with 1+ speedzealots and 2 templars, and the goal with this initial outbreak is not to kill the zerg, but to get slight economic advantage which transforms into a bigger advantage later on.
Moderator
AttackZerg
Profile Blog Joined January 2003
United States7637 Posts
December 09 2008 09:49 GMT
#63
eri....

You should post more
GinNtoniC
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
Sweden2945 Posts
December 09 2008 10:14 GMT
#64
On December 05 2008 16:09 evanthebouncy! wrote:
In small numbers archon superior
In large numbers templar superior.
Try some micro map, see for yourself. Especially you have early +1 which makes archon deadly.

1 and 2: True
3: What about the +1 makes archons more deadly? 30 --> 33 dmg?
Zergling HP 35, Hydra HP 80, Drone HP 40. Are you refering to the splash effect crossing over some golden line or..? Don't really get how the +1 is all too important for the archon as a timing thing.
Huge fan of JulyZerg, HonestTea and that guy Kim Taek Yong.
RowdierBob
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
Australia13526 Posts
December 09 2008 11:56 GMT
#65
On December 05 2008 16:09 evanthebouncy! wrote:
In small numbers archon superior
In large numbers templar superior.
Try some micro map, see for yourself. Especially you have early +1 which makes archon deadly.


I may be wrong, but I'd go the otherway and say archons are better in both situations. Their high damage, splash and ability to absorb far more damage than a dt makes them superior overall.
"Terrans are pretty much space-Australians" - H
Liquid`Drone
Profile Joined September 2002
Norway28900 Posts
December 09 2008 12:56 GMT
#66
its not archon vs dt its archon vs templar
storm is obviously better the larger a battle is
Moderator
Aurious
Profile Blog Joined April 2006
Canada1772 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-12-10 11:22:52
December 10 2008 11:19 GMT
#67
On December 09 2008 12:42 AttackZerg wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 09 2008 06:09 FabledIntegral wrote:
All you said was you notice that archons are made before templar throw out a storm. I wasn't aware that meant only early-mid game. That can be in any situation, and you even used "archons" as plural, and generally only 1 is made, possibly two, but you just used the plural form. What was I supposed to assume...

I say give me a break^ I just started posting on TL.



For someone with 6 posts, you are doing a great job.

Trying to help people is awesome.

I think he took it as an insult that you explained the lategame pvz,which is the 1a2a3a4a mode. Which is stupid..... If someone doesn't understand PvZ strategy and unit choices on a primative early-midgame level I should think they would be more gracious for any advice that is given to them.

Welcome to tl.net where even the noobies who don't know shit act like assholes .


I'm actually around a C to C+ toss. I just couldn't figure out this concept because it's a different style than what I usually play. to vouche on that ask jonoman92 He's one of my managers.

But anyways didn't know my initial post was so misguided to late game considering most referred to it as the mid game sorry bout the confusion.

Bisu's style is something I would like to intergrate into my own. Seeing the recent influx of archons being used vs a hydra build is something new to me.
AttackZerg
Profile Blog Joined January 2003
United States7637 Posts
December 10 2008 12:24 GMT
#68
On December 10 2008 20:19 Aurious wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 09 2008 12:42 AttackZerg wrote:
On December 09 2008 06:09 FabledIntegral wrote:
All you said was you notice that archons are made before templar throw out a storm. I wasn't aware that meant only early-mid game. That can be in any situation, and you even used "archons" as plural, and generally only 1 is made, possibly two, but you just used the plural form. What was I supposed to assume...

I say give me a break^ I just started posting on TL.



For someone with 6 posts, you are doing a great job.

Trying to help people is awesome.

I think he took it as an insult that you explained the lategame pvz,which is the 1a2a3a4a mode. Which is stupid..... If someone doesn't understand PvZ strategy and unit choices on a primative early-midgame level I should think they would be more gracious for any advice that is given to them.

Welcome to tl.net where even the noobies who don't know shit act like assholes .


I'm actually around a C to C+ toss. I just couldn't figure out this concept because it's a different style than what I usually play. to vouche on that ask jonoman92 He's one of my managers.

But anyways didn't know my initial post was so misguided to late game considering most referred to it as the mid game sorry bout the confusion.

Bisu's style is something I would like to intergrate into my own. Seeing the recent influx of archons being used vs a hydra build is something new to me.


I'm sorry but I haven't met any C+ protoss who couldn't grasp the power of archons.... and couldn't watch 1 vod or replay and understand the dynamics of why and why not....

Aurious
Profile Blog Joined April 2006
Canada1772 Posts
December 11 2008 00:42 GMT
#69
Sometimes a person just can't grasp it with a tad bit of help. Mostly I personally haven't seen this build and was wanting more information to it.
AttackZerg
Profile Blog Joined January 2003
United States7637 Posts
December 11 2008 00:43 GMT
#70
On December 11 2008 09:42 Aurious wrote:
Sometimes a person just can't grasp it with a tad bit of help. Mostly I personally haven't seen this build and was wanting more information to it.

I was referring to the fact that a player of C+ caliber would be able to grasp it easily.
tiffany
Profile Joined November 2003
3664 Posts
December 11 2008 01:33 GMT
#71
On December 05 2008 05:38 VorcePA wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 05 2008 04:55 Final_Judicator wrote:
To point a few things out:

1. Archons are NOT meatshields by any means, they are damage dealers. Yes, they have 350 shield points, but still, the plasma shield does not have any basic armor and takes 100% damage of everything. The amazing thing about archons is their damage output. A full-upgraded 39 damage, combined with an extremly high attack speed, is no joke. Zealots are the actual meatshields, please remember this.


It's kind of a yes and no. 350 shields, despite taking full damage from everything under the sun, is still 350 hitpoints. If you were to take the damage reduction + armor upgrade from a zealot, how much hit points would they have compared to an archon?

The downside where you don't really want to use archons as meatshields is, obviously, the fact that they cost 300 gas each. That's almost an arbiter right there.

yes because you would much rather have an arbiter in pvz
d(O.o)a
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Canada5066 Posts
December 11 2008 01:56 GMT
#72
On December 05 2008 04:43 LastWish wrote:
It's pretty simple.
Basic Logic :
1 zealot vs 2 hydras = zealot most probably wins
10 zealots vs 20 hydras = hydras most probably win

One group of hydras - can dodge storms pretty easily and snipe templars
One archon backed by zealots can increase potential dramatically because A-move hydras attack zealots and archon range allows attack from behind.

Concusion is small battles -> archons
Large battles -> templars + storm


zealot does not beat beat hydra in a 1v2 situation.
Hi.
Aurious
Profile Blog Joined April 2006
Canada1772 Posts
December 13 2008 03:48 GMT
#73
After testing the build a little I'm a little confused on the gas timings. The first one is normal but around what time do I make the second?

I'm thinking around the time of the citadel being made because getting gas at core seems to be too much gas and will slow the build down a substantually timing wise.

It seems quite difficult to stop for a zerg because either way it puts LOTS of pressure wasting drones/timing windows.
AttackZerg
Profile Blog Joined January 2003
United States7637 Posts
December 13 2008 04:13 GMT
#74
On December 13 2008 12:48 Aurious wrote:
After testing the build a little I'm a little confused on the gas timings. The first one is normal but around what time do I make the second?

I'm thinking around the time of the citadel being made because getting gas at core seems to be too much gas and will slow the build down a substantually timing wise.

It seems quite difficult to stop for a zerg because either way it puts LOTS of pressure wasting drones/timing windows.



If your going straight for archon/zealot opening rather then a +1 zealotspeed -> archon Gas after you start citedal is fine but I think if you open +1 -speed first its after adding 4 gates. My knowledge of that part is based off of what I see with my overlords so I could be off.
Aurious
Profile Blog Joined April 2006
Canada1772 Posts
December 13 2008 04:52 GMT
#75
That sounds about right which do you think is the stronger build overall. I find adding the +1 after the citadel doesn't go for the "perfect" gas timing on the archon I seemed to be ~100 gas short. Obviously I am doing something wrong would the first gas have to come before the gateway to afford Stargate, Citadel, Sair, +1wep, zeal speed, Archives, 2 templar.

The gas before the gateway would provide ample gas but what would the timing on the first zealot be like?

Can be kinda hard to judge overall.
Jonoman92
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
United States9110 Posts
December 13 2008 04:58 GMT
#76
On December 10 2008 20:19 Aurious wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 09 2008 12:42 AttackZerg wrote:
On December 09 2008 06:09 FabledIntegral wrote:
All you said was you notice that archons are made before templar throw out a storm. I wasn't aware that meant only early-mid game. That can be in any situation, and you even used "archons" as plural, and generally only 1 is made, possibly two, but you just used the plural form. What was I supposed to assume...

I say give me a break^ I just started posting on TL.



For someone with 6 posts, you are doing a great job.

Trying to help people is awesome.

I think he took it as an insult that you explained the lategame pvz,which is the 1a2a3a4a mode. Which is stupid..... If someone doesn't understand PvZ strategy and unit choices on a primative early-midgame level I should think they would be more gracious for any advice that is given to them.

Welcome to tl.net where even the noobies who don't know shit act like assholes .


I'm actually around a C to C+ toss. I just couldn't figure out this concept because it's a different style than what I usually play. to vouche on that ask jonoman92 He's one of my managers.

But anyways didn't know my initial post was so misguided to late game considering most referred to it as the mid game sorry bout the confusion.

Bisu's style is something I would like to intergrate into my own. Seeing the recent influx of archons being used vs a hydra build is something new to me.


Aurious speaks the truth, and he is certainly no nub! He beats me in PvP sometimes... although that really isn't so hard to do.

IF I know the Z isn't going mutas I prefer leaving my first 2 ht unmorphed and making an archon with the 2nd two. That was I can move out with 2 hts with plenty of energy, possibly even enough for 2 storms each, a large groups of zeal, and the archon to pressure the Z and to secure a 2nd expo.
Prev 1 2 3 4 All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Online Event
20:00
BamsPatch 1.0 Weekly #3
SHIN 225
Liquipedia
CranKy Ducklings
19:00
Sea Duckling Open #150 (SHIN Mod Edition)
CranKy Ducklings111
CranKy Ducklings SOOP47
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko340
SHIN 225
ProTech151
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 42436
Bisu 2461
Shuttle 1812
Hyuk 1730
Soma 446
EffOrt 443
Larva 398
Mini 388
ZerO 325
firebathero 216
[ Show more ]
Last 113
hero 94
Zeus 66
Pusan 54
Sexy 53
Trap 49
Hyun 48
Bale 43
Killer 38
Hm[arnc] 36
Aegong 27
ToSsGirL 27
PianO 25
zelot 22
Noble 17
sorry 17
yabsab 10
JulyZerg 9
Sacsri 7
Rock 6
Icarus 6
ajuk12(nOOB) 3
Dota 2
Gorgc5006
qojqva1434
Dendi943
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor952
crisheroes795
Liquid`Hasu188
Other Games
gofns40541
singsing2576
B2W.Neo1221
Happy338
DeMusliM238
Livibee203
Liquid`VortiX91
Mew2King89
ArmadaUGS70
ZerO(Twitch)18
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream105
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 52
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Michael_bg 5
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 9023
League of Legends
• Jankos1756
Other Games
• WagamamaTV224
Upcoming Events
FEL
2h 43m
AI Arena Tournament
3h 43m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5h 43m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
20h 43m
INu's Battles
22h 43m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 5h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 5h
Replay Cast
1d 10h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 20h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 21h
[ Show More ]
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.