• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 13:49
CEST 19:49
KST 02:49
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon108
StarCraft 2
General
Updated Continental Flags System & New Global Flag StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder BW General Discussion Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10047 users

! [G] Zerg Mechanics Thread - Page 3

Forum Index > Brood War Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
fusionsdf
Profile Blog Joined June 2006
Canada15390 Posts
January 29 2007 07:38 GMT
#41
On January 29 2007 16:29 Detonate wrote:
good thing you took my post in the least intelligent way


Stop trying to turn this thread into a flamewar.
SKT_Best: "I actually chose Protoss because it was so hard for me to defeat Protoss as a Terran. When I first started Brood War, my main race was Terran."
Yogurt
Profile Blog Joined June 2005
United States4258 Posts
January 29 2007 09:48 GMT
#42
On January 29 2007 16:38 fusionsdf wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 29 2007 16:29 Detonate wrote:
good thing you took my post in the least intelligent way


Stop trying to turn this thread into a flamewar.


100% agreed

the man takes time out to make a thread, share his ideas and answer questions

don't be a dick
ok dont not so good something is something ok ok ok gogogo
Shiva_Chandra
Profile Blog Joined June 2006
Denmark341 Posts
January 29 2007 11:31 GMT
#43
I don't want to hijack or sidetrack this post, but lately I've been putting a lot of thought into progaming (or high end korean gaming) vs "Foreign" gaming, and I'm actually starting to think that mutas in zvt is a lot more useful in lan/hamachi games, because they are simply that much easier AND better to micro (maybe I just suck on bnet, but my micro on hamachi is really really good compared to bnet), so I've noticed a lot of top foreign z's simply chose not to rely heavily on mutalisks (especially sen from the 15'ish zvt reps I have of him, he almost always opens 3 hatch ling/lurk with +1 carapace, and makes spire later on just for scourges).

Basically I'd really like you people's thought on this - is it "better" to rely on lurk/ling on bnet, and mutas when playing zero-latency? I've been trying lately and with great results personally
Avi @^_^@
Last Romantic
Profile Blog Joined June 2006
United States20667 Posts
January 29 2007 11:37 GMT
#44
On January 29 2007 20:31 Shiva_Chandra wrote:
I don't want to hijack or sidetrack this post, but lately I've been putting a lot of thought into progaming (or high end korean gaming) vs "Foreign" gaming, and I'm actually starting to think that mutas in zvt is a lot more useful in lan/hamachi games, because they are simply that much easier AND better to micro (maybe I just suck on bnet, but my micro on hamachi is really really good compared to bnet), so I've noticed a lot of top foreign z's simply chose not to rely heavily on mutalisks (especially sen from the 15'ish zvt reps I have of him, he almost always opens 3 hatch ling/lurk with +1 carapace, and makes spire later on just for scourges).

Basically I'd really like you people's thought on this - is it "better" to rely on lurk/ling on bnet, and mutas when playing zero-latency? I've been trying lately and with great results personally


I think so yes. There's the fact that mutas are harder to micro in bnet [though still possible, your best bnet micro will not be as good as your best LAN micro for most gamers] as well as the fact that marine vs lurker is ALSO harder to micro on bnet [thus, you can abuse things a bit]
ㅋㄲㅈㅁ
Cloud
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
Sexico5880 Posts
Last Edited: 2007-01-29 12:11:12
January 29 2007 12:10 GMT
#45
Good muta micro on bnet is not hard once you get used to the latency.
BlueLaguna on West, msg for game.
houseurmusic
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
United States544 Posts
January 29 2007 12:20 GMT
#46
Control please edit your defiler comment. That was the stupidest thing I have ever heard.
evanthebouncy!
Profile Blog Joined June 2006
United States12815 Posts
January 29 2007 12:47 GMT
#47
Inc:
What is your opinion on Muta/Ling/Lurk? Say you have some left over mutalisks is it a good idea to attack with muta/ling/lurk sometimes? I find it extremely effective because most time with Lurk/Ling terran can just pull back units and since Lurker needs burrow and Ling is melee, you ended up with no damage done.
However with mutalisks range, you can rape heckalot of MnM because while they retreat mutalisks fucks them up pretty well.
ANy thoughts? ~_~
Life is run, it is dance, it is fast, passionate and BAM!, you dance and sing and booze while you can for now is the time and time is mine. Smile and laugh when still can for now is the time and soon you die!
Last Romantic
Profile Blog Joined June 2006
United States20667 Posts
January 29 2007 15:05 GMT
#48
On January 29 2007 21:20 houseurmusic wrote:
Control please edit your defiler comment. That was the stupidest thing I have ever heard.


who ARE you anyways? -_-;;

inc: what are your opinions on two hand macro a la YellOw? or do you do it with just left hand, right hand stay on mouse?
ㅋㄲㅈㅁ
houseurmusic
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
United States544 Posts
Last Edited: 2007-01-29 15:43:21
January 29 2007 15:42 GMT
#49
On January 30 2007 00:05 Last Romantic wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 29 2007 21:20 houseurmusic wrote:
Control please edit your defiler comment. That was the stupidest thing I have ever heard.


who ARE you anyways? -_-;;



Usually dont post just read, but I had to make a comment on that.

j0ehoe
Profile Joined September 2006
United States2705 Posts
January 29 2007 20:14 GMT
#50
On January 30 2007 00:05 Last Romantic wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 29 2007 21:20 houseurmusic wrote:
Control please edit your defiler comment. That was the stupidest thing I have ever heard.


who ARE you anyways? -_-;;

inc: what are your opinions on two hand macro a la YellOw? or do you do it with just left hand, right hand stay on mouse?


ok im nto the only freak who 2hands sometimes ;x
Only communists disconnect.
Detonate
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
Iceland578 Posts
January 29 2007 21:11 GMT
#51
ok I apologize, just wasnt the insightful answer i was looking for.
inept @ west always up for TMM and 1vs1. TLT3 goGOgOG
LastWish
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
2015 Posts
January 30 2007 00:50 GMT
#52
On January 28 2007 23:54 {88}iNcontroL wrote:
PS: Stop making defilers vs Protoss. Unless they are heavy with goon/cannon it is retarded (or in late game for plague). I know you see Midian/Mondragon do it but they are retarded here.


I think I got what he ment by it - imo it means first learn to play without them, then add them to your potential(same as I would recommend for PvT and carriers).
It's just I was always defiler = archons less effective goons no damage, I must go for this unit.
So I learnt to go every time defilers, and rely on them.
But what it costed I didn't flank, and didn't focus to control my army properly or macro because I was way obsesed by them(ling+defiler drops to kill nexus for example).

My question :
vs a FE toss, compare 3 base vs 2 base zerg.
I mean if zerg goes 2 base, is it viable? Isn't he in economical disadvantage vs toss in long run if he doesn't do some muta damage or sth?
What are the possible ways to go early vs ground(zeal +1) FE with 3 base - are mutas viable, hydras or only lurks or +1 carapace?
- It's all just treason - They bring me down with their lies - Don't know the reason - My life is fire and ice -
iNcontroL *
Profile Blog Joined July 2004
USA29055 Posts
January 30 2007 02:30 GMT
#53
On January 29 2007 21:47 evanthebouncy~ wrote:
Inc:
What is your opinion on Muta/Ling/Lurk? Say you have some left over mutalisks is it a good idea to attack with muta/ling/lurk sometimes? I find it extremely effective because most time with Lurk/Ling terran can just pull back units and since Lurker needs burrow and Ling is melee, you ended up with no damage done.
However with mutalisks range, you can rape heckalot of MnM because while they retreat mutalisks fucks them up pretty well.
ANy thoughts? ~_~


Muta ling lurk is a fucking nice way to evolve after going mutas. The natural tech is a muta opening with a lurker switch. The remaining muts should be used here. Marines naturally target mutas first which is great because the real damage is going to come from the lurkers but also the mutas allow the lings to circle around and freeze the juicy marine force. Mutas also offer great flexibility post muta opening with defending rine drops or scraggling tanks/sci. If I had the micro and the macro for it I think I would open up every ZvT with some sort of muta build as it is just so powerful and if done right demands so much from the T to counter. But as I am only around 200 apm and my macro isn't the proud point of my game I tend to go lurker openings and gain advantages there.
iNcontroL *
Profile Blog Joined July 2004
USA29055 Posts
January 30 2007 02:32 GMT
#54
On January 30 2007 00:05 Last Romantic wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 29 2007 21:20 houseurmusic wrote:
Control please edit your defiler comment. That was the stupidest thing I have ever heard.


who ARE you anyways? -_-;;

inc: what are your opinions on two hand macro a la YellOw? or do you do it with just left hand, right hand stay on mouse?


When I went to WCG Seattle a few years back I was blown away by how much you can do with the keyboard in terms of macro. I think if you can do it it is fine, as finding the mouse with your hand is alot easier than finding keyboard placement so I see no give away with that. That being said, I think you can macro just fine with 1 hand and should probably work on maximizing the speed with that as you can simply multi task alot more / better if you are moving around with your mouse AND macroing with your hand as oppose to just macroing with your hands.
iNcontroL *
Profile Blog Joined July 2004
USA29055 Posts
January 30 2007 02:36 GMT
#55
On January 30 2007 09:50 LastWish wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 28 2007 23:54 {88}iNcontroL wrote:
PS: Stop making defilers vs Protoss. Unless they are heavy with goon/cannon it is retarded (or in late game for plague). I know you see Midian/Mondragon do it but they are retarded here.


I think I got what he ment by it - imo it means first learn to play without them, then add them to your potential(same as I would recommend for PvT and carriers).
It's just I was always defiler = archons less effective goons no damage, I must go for this unit.
So I learnt to go every time defilers, and rely on them.
But what it costed I didn't flank, and didn't focus to control my army properly or macro because I was way obsesed by them(ling+defiler drops to kill nexus for example).

My question :
vs a FE toss, compare 3 base vs 2 base zerg.
I mean if zerg goes 2 base, is it viable? Isn't he in economical disadvantage vs toss in long run if he doesn't do some muta damage or sth?
What are the possible ways to go early vs ground(zeal +1) FE with 3 base - are mutas viable, hydras or only lurks or +1 carapace?


Matching a P in FE games with same number of expos is a reaction not a mid-late game strategy. What Mondragon and other good Z's do is not panic and essentially take that time to strengthen their initial economy and gain a strong tech. From there they get to dictate the game. Lurkers force the P to get obs AND defend all angles of the expo nat from lurker range = slow P which than allows the Z to grab 1-2 expoes and be ahead again. Or muta at this point looks to do the same thing essentially only with an added risk of countering inside the P main forcing them to cannon that as well. The misnomer alot of Z's have is that they always have to be ahead in expo count with P's in order to survive. This actually works to their favor (P's). If you over extend and get 1-2 expos in addition to your nat prematurely you can get ran over by the ever-so-predictable +1 speed zeals. Similarly, if you grab only 1 more expo giving you 2 total but arent mining sufficiently you now have to defend 2 fronts which exposes you entirely. Watch mondragon reps and notice the time of which he grabs other expoes. dont copy it per se, but notice the mentality behind it.
TheFoReveRwaR
Profile Blog Joined May 2006
United States10657 Posts
January 30 2007 07:21 GMT
#56
Ya defiliers are useless vs P because making archons do 1/3 dmg is useless /sarcasm -.- InC you're a good player but I don't know what the fuck you were smoking here
Being healthy, it has been said, really consists of having the same disease as everybody else.
5HITCOMBO
Profile Joined March 2006
Japan2239 Posts
Last Edited: 2007-01-30 07:47:18
January 30 2007 07:44 GMT
#57
On January 30 2007 16:21 TheFoReveRwaR wrote:
Ya defiliers are useless vs P because making archons do 1/3 dmg is useless /sarcasm -.- InC you're a good player but I don't know what the fuck you were smoking here

He was smoking Ultras run Archons the fuck over.

If you learn how to play ZvP well, your late game transition means enough gas to pump ultra/ling and not have to worry about defilers. He's not saying they're not great units, but most people won't be able to hit the toss with a good swarm that they won't retreat out of or use storm on (oh shit, storm DOES work under swarm!?!?!), and plague isn't as useful as 12 ultras.
I live in perpetual fear of terrorists and studio gangsters
Detonate
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
Iceland578 Posts
January 30 2007 07:53 GMT
#58
just please dont get defilers or queens, and everything will be fine k thx
inept @ west always up for TMM and 1vs1. TLT3 goGOgOG
GongKyuckTerran
Profile Joined March 2006
Croatia1096 Posts
Last Edited: 2007-01-30 08:40:14
January 30 2007 08:39 GMT
#59
share your knowledge/expirience is way to make this game balanced =)
nice thread inc

i have two things to ask;
a)what is your muta hotkey or maybe midian's?,i mean when u doing muta micro
u go "1a then click move with mouse or your go like 0p "p for patrol"
i am keycraft user so i use "e" for patrol,easier to micro/macro... 1a/1e,2a/2e,3sd4sd etc

b)when u flank with like 3or more groups do u use only 1a2a3a4a etc
or u use patrol also
i find patrol useful when flanking or attacking base with miners/static defense
cuz units with "patrol" dont stuck like when u click "attack"
they instantly attack nearest units what attacking them

sorry for my english T_T




Ultras di Spalato, Etre et durer
red.venom
Profile Joined October 2002
United States4651 Posts
January 30 2007 10:26 GMT
#60
On January 29 2007 21:10 Cloud wrote:
Good muta micro on bnet is not hard once you get used to the latency.


Sorry man. Totally disagree with you here. You can sorta practice to get around the terrible latency, but even if you manage to micro extremely well it simply takes more time and intense management because of the lack of immediacy in the motions of your units. On Hamachi its pretty easy to do 2 clicks timed to go attack and run back or vice versa. On bnet the only way you can really micro mutas to a fast degree is to basically be constantly right clicking and it reduces the usefulness of a+move thusly and I think it makes it sort of a spam fest where the actual accuracy is quite reduced.

I also agree with the dude who said lurkers are easier to use on non-bnet. Totally true, instant burrow is really useful and makes the unit a lot better without at least a half second delay. You could say this applies to everything(Like stimming marines or storm) but I really dont think its quite the same case, because a half second delay in stim will never outright kill marines or usually a temp.
Broom
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 6h 11m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 363
UpATreeSC 72
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 1434
actioN 455
BeSt 212
Dewaltoss 189
firebathero 95
Zeus 68
Trap 39
Sexy 27
zelot 26
soO 25
[ Show more ]
ToSsGirL 24
Bale 23
JYJ 20
Shine 17
Sacsri 6
Dota 2
Gorgc7436
qojqva2120
Dendi935
420jenkins155
Counter-Strike
pashabiceps1019
Fnx 786
x6flipin430
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby6280
crisheroes5663
Liquid`Hasu676
Other Games
Beastyqt679
B2W.Neo604
ceh9500
byalli368
ArmadaUGS173
C9.Mang0152
KnowMe151
Khaldor137
TKL 120
BRAT_OK 82
Trikslyr61
Railgan13
Organizations
Other Games
WardiTV255
BasetradeTV204
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream133
[ Show 19 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH314
• StrangeGG 49
• Reevou 5
• Migwel
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
StarCraft: Brood War
• 80smullet 46
• Azhi_Dahaki25
• blackmanpl 17
• FirePhoenix12
• ZZZeroYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• BSLYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV431
League of Legends
• Nemesis3947
• TFBlade893
Other Games
• Shiphtur331
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
6h 11m
Kung Fu Cup
17h 11m
Stellar Fest
19h 11m
The PondCast
1d 16h
OSC
1d 19h
OSC
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.