• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 13:01
CEST 19:01
KST 02:01
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup9StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)71Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8373 users

BW Power Rank: November 2018 - Page 3

Forum Index > BW General
78 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All
BigFan
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
TLADT24920 Posts
November 06 2018 16:47 GMT
#41
On November 07 2018 00:42 Elroi wrote:
As always I have to come in here and argue Jaedong should be higher. I said this last time, but I don't think willfully skipping a tournament should mean very much for the power rank. The power rank is (or at least was) never about who has the best results right now, its more like who are the scariest players right now. And Jeadong is one of the absolute scariest players.

Thanks for the ranking though, Big Fan!

Glad you enjoyed the read, but Ty2 did this one and FlaShFTW did the previous ones. I just did the editing and publishing ^^
Former BW EiC"Watch Bakemonogatari or I will kill you." -Toad, April 18th, 2017
Letmelose
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
Korea (South)3227 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-11-06 18:56:40
November 06 2018 18:14 GMT
#42
On November 07 2018 01:28 Alpha-NP- wrote:
Everyone used to say old island maps favored P in PvT but I never read a convincing argument.

Sparkle definitely favored T in TvP with all Terrans going Wraith/Valks against Corsairs.

I thought Effort’s ASL6 interview was interesting when he said the best PvZ player he feared the most was Mini. Mini must be amazing online but I agree he chokes in tournaments every time. He sounds like a poor loser that can’t mentally get past his early game mistakes.

I always like Best a lot and I think he is underrated. Can letmelose tell us something about how Best playstyle is different from Rain, Snow, Mini, and Shuttle? Thanks.


Every player has their unique footprint, and no single person can fully gather all their nuances to their game, but I'll try listing what I've read on the playstyles, and some of my own thoughts on the matter:

1) BeSt: The best build optimizer the protoss race has arguably ever seen. His probe count optimization, and meticulous detail to the builds are ridiculously refined. While he doesn't have the game changing movement of SnOw, or the piercing plays of Mini, he has the most highly developed macro-management set up out of any protoss out there. On maps that demand less orthodox macro-management play, and ask more technical plays with units such as carriers, his greatest strength as a player is nullified, and he seems much weaker as a result.

2) Rain: I think he is the most well balanced protoss in the scene right now. He has decent multi-tasking, good macro-management, fantastic read on situations, and breaks the game down in a methodical manner. I think he has more in common with fellow SK Telecom T1 protoss players such as BeSt, or Bisu (all of whom are known for their solid macro-management), than more playmaking protoss players such as SnOw.

3) SnOw: I personally think he makes the most out of his units, as if he is playing an RPG game. He may not have the absolute best unit micro-management (although it is very good when confined to small scale armies), but he knows how to maximize their playmaking potential, especially within the protoss-versus-terran match-up. He knows how to abuse the terran units with his own key units better than probably any player out there. He specializes in playmaking units such as reavers, and carriers. SnOw is perhaps the only protoss that makes me feel like the protoss race out-ranges the terran race with how he abuses certain angles or terrains.

He doesn't have the best macro-management fundamentals, and his build orders aren't perfectly optimized, but he is able to create situations for himself (most with excellent unit movement) where his lack of macro-management prowess becomes less of an issue. However, this means he is prone to swings in form, and while he is my favourite protoss player to watch, I think Rain has a higher skill ceiling than SnOw.

4) Mini: I think Mini has some of the best small scale micro-management execution out of any protoss players out there. His probe, zealot, and reaver micro-management are second to none, and are potent enough to heavily swing the games in his favour. SnOw personally rates Mini very highly due to his ability to micro-manage his units to perfection, but I don't think he is as savy as SnOw is (in terms of changing the flow of the game in his favour). While his early game is extremely frightening, his late-game decision making and execution has a lot to be desired for, and sometimes he over-commits on his micro-management duels to his own demise. He has some of the best handle of early game situations, but the chances of Mini winning seems to fall off a cliff as time progresses.

5) Shuttle: Shuttle to me seems to play the game to persue two things. Large scale battles, and spamming units from production buildings. For example, while both Shuttle and SnOw enjoy using carriers versus the terran race, SnOw seems to wear down the terran opponent to death, while Shuttle seems to prefer head on engagements. He has some of the best large scale battle execution out of any player out there, and is famed for his extremely potent late game protoss-verus-zerg abilities. However, outside of his strengths, he is not particularly impressive in the early game, and is kind of the polar opposite of Mini, where his execution of the late game situations are flawless, but it seems he doesn't know how to get there efficiently.

That's about it, really. I always preferred players who playmaked with their units, so I have less to say about those who focus more on macro-management.
TL+ Member
iFU.pauline
Profile Joined September 2009
France1774 Posts
November 06 2018 18:49 GMT
#43
On November 07 2018 01:28 Alpha-NP- wrote:
Everyone used to say old island maps favored P in PvT but I never read a convincing argument.

Sparkle definitely favored T in TvP with all Terrans going Wraith/Valks against Corsairs.

I thought Effort’s ASL6 interview was interesting when he said the best PvZ player he feared the most was Mini. Mini must be amazing online but I agree he chokes in tournaments every time. He sounds like a poor loser that can’t mentally get past his early game mistakes.

I always like Best a lot and I think he is underrated. Can letmelose tell us something about how Best playstyle is different from Rain, Snow, Mini, and Shuttle? Thanks.


If you paid attention to Effort stream you will notice that the only protoss he struggles to is Mini, so it is no surprise he says this. I am not convinced that it's because Mini is better than an other at this match up, I think he is good particularly vs EffOrt style. I was confident he would take down any terran for as long as he could display his best (which what happened of course (kaboom)), but for Mini I am always unsure, it's like he knows how to handle EffOrt more than any other.
No coward soul is mine, No trembler in the world's storm-troubled sphere, I see Heaven's glories shine, And Faith shines equal arming me from Fear
oxKnu
Profile Joined December 2017
1267 Posts
November 06 2018 19:46 GMT
#44
On November 07 2018 03:49 iFU.pauline wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 07 2018 01:28 Alpha-NP- wrote:
Everyone used to say old island maps favored P in PvT but I never read a convincing argument.

Sparkle definitely favored T in TvP with all Terrans going Wraith/Valks against Corsairs.

I thought Effort’s ASL6 interview was interesting when he said the best PvZ player he feared the most was Mini. Mini must be amazing online but I agree he chokes in tournaments every time. He sounds like a poor loser that can’t mentally get past his early game mistakes.

I always like Best a lot and I think he is underrated. Can letmelose tell us something about how Best playstyle is different from Rain, Snow, Mini, and Shuttle? Thanks.


If you paid attention to Effort stream you will notice that the only protoss he struggles to is Mini, so it is no surprise he says this. I am not convinced that it's because Mini is better than an other at this match up, I think he is good particularly vs EffOrt style. I was confident he would take down any terran for as long as he could display his best (which what happened of course (kaboom)), but for Mini I am always unsure, it's like he knows how to handle EffOrt more than any other.


The things Mini does that are out of the ordinary:

- his micro can be out-of-this-world good
- his decision-making can be very, very unpredictable and in rare occasions even non-sensical
- is more aggressive than any other Protosses I know

I could see him being a bit of an odd-ball for a very aggressive Zerg.

Alpha-NP-
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United States1242 Posts
November 06 2018 20:06 GMT
#45
On November 07 2018 03:49 iFU.pauline wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 07 2018 01:28 Alpha-NP- wrote:
Everyone used to say old island maps favored P in PvT but I never read a convincing argument.

Sparkle definitely favored T in TvP with all Terrans going Wraith/Valks against Corsairs.

I thought Effort’s ASL6 interview was interesting when he said the best PvZ player he feared the most was Mini. Mini must be amazing online but I agree he chokes in tournaments every time. He sounds like a poor loser that can’t mentally get past his early game mistakes.

I always like Best a lot and I think he is underrated. Can letmelose tell us something about how Best playstyle is different from Rain, Snow, Mini, and Shuttle? Thanks.


If you paid attention to Effort stream you will notice that the only protoss he struggles to is Mini, so it is no surprise he says this. I am not convinced that it's because Mini is better than an other at this match up, I think he is good particularly vs EffOrt style. I was confident he would take down any terran for as long as he could display his best (which what happened of course (kaboom)), but for Mini I am always unsure, it's like he knows how to handle EffOrt more than any other.

Effort’s stream is on twitch or the TL sidebar?

Thanks letmelose for your insights.
Lorch
Profile Joined June 2011
Germany3711 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-11-07 11:34:45
November 07 2018 11:31 GMT
#46
It hasn't been that long that Jaedong finished 2nd in KSL, beating Rain who is ranked 3rd on this. He should definitely be included, especially over people like Sharp or Mini. He went 1-1 with Flash in ASL, that's better than pretty much everyone except for Effort. I personally couldn't care less about online results. Lan is where it's at. So imo online results like Sponbang should matter very little for this ranking. If it has to be online, at least only include high prestige stuff like MPL. I agree with the others saying that Shuttle is ranked way too high. He should at the very least be ranked lower than Soulkey after the beating he got from Flash.
BigBalls
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
United States5354 Posts
November 07 2018 17:56 GMT
#47
I know power rank is mostly about recent performance, but in the real rankings it's very tough to rank Effort/Last/Rain between 2-4 and all orderings can be argued. Also have no lean as to who is the current #5, and there seems to be a major drop off from the Effort/Last/Rain tier to whoever is next.
if you guys could use google and post direct links to the maphacks here it would be greatly appreciated. - Nazgul
BigBalls
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
United States5354 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-11-07 17:59:57
November 07 2018 17:59 GMT
#48
Poll: Who should be ranked #5

Jaedong (13)
 
62%

Shuttle (5)
 
24%

Soulkey (1)
 
5%

Mini (1)
 
5%

Sharp (1)
 
5%

Action (0)
 
0%

Best (0)
 
0%

Snow (0)
 
0%

Light (0)
 
0%

Mind (0)
 
0%

21 total votes

Your vote: Who should be ranked #5

(Vote): Soulkey
(Vote): Jaedong
(Vote): Action
(Vote): Best
(Vote): Mini
(Vote): Snow
(Vote): Shuttle
(Vote): Sharp
(Vote): Light
(Vote): Mind




Pretty absurd how many options I had to include (and didn't include Larva), but given that I don't even know who I think is #5 at this point, I couldn't know who other people think is #5.
if you guys could use google and post direct links to the maphacks here it would be greatly appreciated. - Nazgul
Cele
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
Germany4016 Posts
November 07 2018 18:26 GMT
#49
Like this pr a lot more than the last. At least Flash is not at #1 despite not winning a major.
Broodwar for life!
FlaShFTW
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States10569 Posts
November 07 2018 20:04 GMT
#50
On November 08 2018 02:56 BigBalls wrote:
I know power rank is mostly about recent performance, but in the real rankings it's very tough to rank Effort/Last/Rain between 2-4 and all orderings can be argued. Also have no lean as to who is the current #5, and there seems to be a major drop off from the Effort/Last/Rain tier to whoever is next.

Tier wise, this is what I have in raw skill and not just performances:
S+: FlaSh
S: EffOrt, Last
S-: Rain
A+: Jaedong
A: Mini, Soulkey
A-: Action, Shuttle, Snow
B: Sharp, MIsO, Light, Mind, BeSt

Writer#1 KT and FlaSh Fanboy || Woo Jung Ho Never Forget || Teamliquid Political Decision Desk
TL+ Member
[sc1f]eonzerg
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Belgium7120 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-11-07 20:22:45
November 07 2018 20:09 GMT
#51
On November 08 2018 05:04 FlaShFTW wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 08 2018 02:56 BigBalls wrote:
I know power rank is mostly about recent performance, but in the real rankings it's very tough to rank Effort/Last/Rain between 2-4 and all orderings can be argued. Also have no lean as to who is the current #5, and there seems to be a major drop off from the Effort/Last/Rain tier to whoever is next.

Tier wise, this is what I have in raw skill and not just performances:
S+: FlaSh
S: EffOrt, Last
S-: Rain
A+: Jaedong
A: Mini, Soulkey
A-: Action, Shuttle, Snow
B: Sharp, MIsO, Light, Mind, BeSt


i agree with this list if u change rain for jd, imo rain is really overrated.
JieXian
Profile Blog Joined August 2008
Malaysia4677 Posts
November 07 2018 20:23 GMT
#52
On November 08 2018 05:04 FlaShFTW wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 08 2018 02:56 BigBalls wrote:
I know power rank is mostly about recent performance, but in the real rankings it's very tough to rank Effort/Last/Rain between 2-4 and all orderings can be argued. Also have no lean as to who is the current #5, and there seems to be a major drop off from the Effort/Last/Rain tier to whoever is next.

Tier wise, this is what I have in raw skill and not just performances:
S+: FlaSh
S: EffOrt, Last
S-: Rain
A+: Jaedong
A: Mini, Soulkey
A-: Action, Shuttle, Snow
B: Sharp, MIsO, Light, Mind, BeSt



I haven't watched enough games so I'm not suggesting that I know better, but didn't Effort and Jaedong both stomp Rain in ASL and KSL? Rain didn't look so good.

Also, if you publish a list that's basically the same as this every month maybe the "recency bias" whiners will finally be happy.
Please send me a PM of any song you like that I most probably never heard of! I am looking for people to chat about writing and producing music | https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noD-bsOcxuU |
BigBalls
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
United States5354 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-11-07 20:40:45
November 07 2018 20:40 GMT
#53
On November 08 2018 05:23 JieXian wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 08 2018 05:04 FlaShFTW wrote:
On November 08 2018 02:56 BigBalls wrote:
I know power rank is mostly about recent performance, but in the real rankings it's very tough to rank Effort/Last/Rain between 2-4 and all orderings can be argued. Also have no lean as to who is the current #5, and there seems to be a major drop off from the Effort/Last/Rain tier to whoever is next.

Tier wise, this is what I have in raw skill and not just performances:
S+: FlaSh
S: EffOrt, Last
S-: Rain
A+: Jaedong
A: Mini, Soulkey
A-: Action, Shuttle, Snow
B: Sharp, MIsO, Light, Mind, BeSt



I haven't watched enough games so I'm not suggesting that I know better, but didn't Effort and Jaedong both stomp Rain in ASL and KSL? Rain didn't look so good.

Also, if you publish a list that's basically the same as this every month maybe the "recency bias" whiners will finally be happy.


Rain lost to both in one sided fashion, but also beat Last in one sided fashion and had better overall results across ASL5/ASL6/KSL (1/3-4/5-8) than anyone. I don't read too much into the KSL/ASL match vs Last because of the maps. I know people think Sparkle is favored for T vs P, but Last went out early of ASL5 and at that point in time it was heavily P favored, and since he was eliminated ro24, likely he didn't continue to practice it as much as Rain.

Gun to my head top 10:
1. Flash
2. Last
3. Effort
4. Rain
5. JD
6. Soulkey (never seems to perform when it counts, but most skilled of remaining players)
7. Mini
8. Sharp
9. Action
10. Best
if you guys could use google and post direct links to the maphacks here it would be greatly appreciated. - Nazgul
razorsuKe
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
Canada2053 Posts
November 07 2018 21:09 GMT
#54
[image loading]
EntusGalleries.com - CJ Uniform Sale
FlaShFTW
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States10569 Posts
November 07 2018 21:59 GMT
#55
There, can anti-recency bias people please be quiet now? Razor summed it up perfectly LOL

On November 08 2018 05:23 JieXian wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 08 2018 05:04 FlaShFTW wrote:
On November 08 2018 02:56 BigBalls wrote:
I know power rank is mostly about recent performance, but in the real rankings it's very tough to rank Effort/Last/Rain between 2-4 and all orderings can be argued. Also have no lean as to who is the current #5, and there seems to be a major drop off from the Effort/Last/Rain tier to whoever is next.

Tier wise, this is what I have in raw skill and not just performances:
S+: FlaSh
S: EffOrt, Last
S-: Rain
A+: Jaedong
A: Mini, Soulkey
A-: Action, Shuttle, Snow
B: Sharp, MIsO, Light, Mind, BeSt



I haven't watched enough games so I'm not suggesting that I know better, but didn't Effort and Jaedong both stomp Rain in ASL and KSL? Rain didn't look so good.

Also, if you publish a list that's basically the same as this every month maybe the "recency bias" whiners will finally be happy.

Rain is that high because his other two matchups, PvT and PvP is amazing. PvP is #1 and PvT is #1/2 (behind Snow maybe). I think he's slightly better overall than JD right now because JD is starting to crack mentally (ASL group). I think you could move them back and forth and I wouldn't disagree much.
Writer#1 KT and FlaSh Fanboy || Woo Jung Ho Never Forget || Teamliquid Political Decision Desk
TL+ Member
CHEONSOYUN
Profile Joined August 2017
623 Posts
November 07 2018 22:14 GMT
#56
Writers use results, whiners use their feelings.
JAEDONG...!!! EFFORT IS ANGRY. ZERG...?!
ne4aJIb
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
Russian Federation3209 Posts
November 07 2018 23:17 GMT
#57
Flash is GOD
Bisu,Best,Stork,Jangbi and Flash, Fantasy, Leta, Light and Jaedong, Hydra, Zero, Soulkey assemble in ACE now!
Rodya
Profile Joined January 2018
546 Posts
November 07 2018 23:32 GMT
#58
On November 08 2018 05:04 FlaShFTW wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 08 2018 02:56 BigBalls wrote:
I know power rank is mostly about recent performance, but in the real rankings it's very tough to rank Effort/Last/Rain between 2-4 and all orderings can be argued. Also have no lean as to who is the current #5, and there seems to be a major drop off from the Effort/Last/Rain tier to whoever is next.

Tier wise, this is what I have in raw skill and not just performances:
S+: FlaSh
S: EffOrt, Last
S-: Rain
A+: Jaedong
A: Mini, Soulkey
A-: Action, Shuttle, Snow
B: Sharp, MIsO, Light, Mind, BeSt


I like this list. I wonder what people would think if instead of power rankings, you guys did these tiered rankings. Someone asked why I would put Soulkey at 5, and the answer is that I agree with that person as well, Soulkey wouldn't make a great 5. I think JD would, as this post would indicate.
Banned for saying "zerg players are by far the biggest whiners in sc2 history" despite the fact that this forum is full of such posts about Terrans. Foreigner Elitists in control!
iopq
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States1183 Posts
November 08 2018 06:30 GMT
#59
On November 08 2018 05:04 FlaShFTW wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 08 2018 02:56 BigBalls wrote:
I know power rank is mostly about recent performance, but in the real rankings it's very tough to rank Effort/Last/Rain between 2-4 and all orderings can be argued. Also have no lean as to who is the current #5, and there seems to be a major drop off from the Effort/Last/Rain tier to whoever is next.

Tier wise, this is what I have in raw skill and not just performances:
S+: FlaSh
S: EffOrt, Last
S-: Rain
A+: Jaedong
A: Mini, Soulkey
A-: Action, Shuttle, Snow
B: Sharp, MIsO, Light, Mind, BeSt



This is actually a better PR

It's POWER rankings, not PERFORMANCE RANKINGS
FlaShFTW
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States10569 Posts
November 08 2018 08:18 GMT
#60
On November 08 2018 15:30 iopq wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 08 2018 05:04 FlaShFTW wrote:
On November 08 2018 02:56 BigBalls wrote:
I know power rank is mostly about recent performance, but in the real rankings it's very tough to rank Effort/Last/Rain between 2-4 and all orderings can be argued. Also have no lean as to who is the current #5, and there seems to be a major drop off from the Effort/Last/Rain tier to whoever is next.

Tier wise, this is what I have in raw skill and not just performances:
S+: FlaSh
S: EffOrt, Last
S-: Rain
A+: Jaedong
A: Mini, Soulkey
A-: Action, Shuttle, Snow
B: Sharp, MIsO, Light, Mind, BeSt



This is actually a better PR

It's POWER rankings, not PERFORMANCE RANKINGS

I think people need to understand that everyone has a different definition of a "power rank". Me personally, a POWER rank entices more trendlines and rewards good performance. If a player continues to play well, they will end up higher. If they don't, they drop. As such, someone like EffOrt is rewarded for playing well. If someone isn't playing up to their potential, let's say Soulkey right now, why should we reward them with a higher placement on the list? That doesn't make any sense to me. Obviously, we forgive him because we know his potential, but let's say his underperformance starts becoming consistent, like EffORt was from ASL2-5? Who's to say that this is just a choke or his actual skill level now? And that's why the PR reflects these dips in skill, because we don't know for sure how they are playing. Like Shuttle after ASL1, do we know for sure if he's that good now? Or is this a one time thing. We don't know, but we move him up the rank in case he is that good.

An actual ranking that I did above based upon actual raw skill and highest performance is boring. How much movement would there be month to month? Like, let's look 2 months ago. Do you really think that my current list is much different? It gets boring if there's no movement, people are just going to say, ok these players are all the same, maybe a player moves up a rank and someone moves down. But otherwise I don't like that system for generating discussion. You would start arguing over tiny details like if someone is A+ or A, or S- or A+.

This is why I will continue to use my format for power rankings in the future, and intend to use this system for a long time. If you want a "how good are these players at their potential", then you can make that your own ranking. I'm totally down for someone to make a side by side ranking for people to look at. We can see who is over performing or under performing based upon the stable, actual skill rank vs the power rank. And that's why power ranks are fun for me. Sometimes you do get good players who get knocked out early. Sometimes you have dark horses make a deep run (shuttle for ASL6), and that's the fun of the game and tournament format.
Writer#1 KT and FlaSh Fanboy || Woo Jung Ho Never Forget || Teamliquid Political Decision Desk
TL+ Member
Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Monday Night Weeklies
01:00
#66
RotterdaM594
TaKeTV 260
IndyStarCraft 121
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
TKL 2120
RotterdaM 594
ByuN 296
MaxPax 156
IndyStarCraft 121
BRAT_OK 76
UpATreeSC 35
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 3578
Shuttle 850
Stork 408
Mini 387
EffOrt 314
Horang2 229
Rush 217
Mind 158
Dewaltoss 98
910 78
[ Show more ]
Mong 75
Zeus 70
Yoon 68
hero 60
Snow 53
Shinee 40
JYJ 35
HiyA 35
sorry 31
Bale 28
ToSsGirL 23
Killer 20
Sea.KH 18
Terrorterran 13
Sexy 11
zelot 11
scan(afreeca) 10
Sacsri 8
Dota 2
Gorgc5785
qojqva2919
Counter-Strike
fl0m4356
Fnx 678
pashabiceps171
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby662
Other Games
singsing2252
Beastyqt588
ceh9576
Hui .218
XaKoH 131
Trikslyr80
QueenE62
Chillindude16
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV199
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream24
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 24
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• iopq 27
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Shiphtur228
• WagamamaTV67
Upcoming Events
Replay Cast
5h 59m
Afreeca Starleague
16h 59m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
17h 59m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 6h
Patches Events
1d 22h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.