• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:54
CEST 11:54
KST 18:54
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8102 users

BW Power Rank: November 2018 - Page 2

Forum Index > BW General
78 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All
hiro protagonist
Profile Joined January 2009
1294 Posts
November 06 2018 01:06 GMT
#21
Eh, just my opinion, but I'd put Last above Rain. Rain's win at bilzzcon is undermined by the fact sparkle was a map they played on.

Other than that meeting, Last has performed more consistent than rain.

Otherwise, a perfect power ranking!
"I guess if you climb enough off-widths, one of these days, your gonna get your knee stuck and shit your pants. Its just an odds thing really" -Jason Kruk
Lazare1969
Profile Joined September 2014
United States318 Posts
November 06 2018 01:17 GMT
#22
Rain vs. Last is a tough call because Last got 3rd place in ASL6 whereas Rain won KSL vs. ASL showmatch which appears to have no prize money. In KSL2 Rain won his group 3-1 while Last won 3-0. Also based on sponsored matches in 2018.10-2018.11 Last has an Elo rank of 1308 whereas Rain has 1217.
6 trillion
Yanokabo
Profile Joined October 2018
268 Posts
November 06 2018 01:54 GMT
#23
I think rain is superior to last but it’s a close call. Jaedong isn’t even playing Starcraft right now and this is a Starcraft ranks shuttle sucks but who else deserves 5. Nobody else deserves 5 this list should just be 5 people long and leave out 6-10 the shallowness of the scene is daunting now.
Turbovolver
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Australia2451 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-11-06 02:50:41
November 06 2018 02:49 GMT
#24
I don't think I can understand how Rain is over Last. Half of Rain's bio is talking about his weak PvZ. Which matchup of Last's is weak?

Or if we go by recent results, I'm pretty sure Last wins there too?

EDIT: Oh, I read all of page one and then posted, and page two is a bunch of people saying this, lol

EDITEDIT: Oh, I haven't watched the Blizzcon games yet.
The original Bogus fan.
Yanokabo
Profile Joined October 2018
268 Posts
November 06 2018 03:12 GMT
#25
Rain really bitched last at blizzcon so if it had gone differently yeah u could make the argument last>rain but after a h2h series it’s kind of clear. Lasts best matchup is tvz and rains is tvp so u can make that excuse for last if you want but I don’t buy it. All last is known for is beating a sleeping dong last ksl.
razorsuKe
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
Canada2053 Posts
November 06 2018 03:18 GMT
#26
On November 06 2018 10:06 hiro protagonist wrote:
Eh, just my opinion, but I'd put Last above Rain. Rain's win at bilzzcon is undermined by the fact sparkle was a map they played on.

Other than that meeting, Last has performed more consistent than rain.

Otherwise, a perfect power ranking!



Except sparkle favors terran in TvP

(Wiki)Sparkle

Sparkle kinda reversed the traditional race cycle by going P > Z > T > P





EntusGalleries.com - CJ Uniform Sale
hiro protagonist
Profile Joined January 2009
1294 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-11-06 03:41:06
November 06 2018 03:39 GMT
#27
On November 06 2018 12:18 razorsuKe wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 06 2018 10:06 hiro protagonist wrote:
Eh, just my opinion, but I'd put Last above Rain. Rain's win at bilzzcon is undermined by the fact sparkle was a map they played on.

Other than that meeting, Last has performed more consistent than rain.

Otherwise, a perfect power ranking!



Except sparkle favors terran in TvP

(Wiki)Sparkle

Sparkle kinda reversed the traditional race cycle by going P > Z > T > P


Huh, I stand corrected. I have a memory of terrans getting destroyed by toss, but I must have only watched the losses
"I guess if you climb enough off-widths, one of these days, your gonna get your knee stuck and shit your pants. Its just an odds thing really" -Jason Kruk
Arvendilin
Profile Joined February 2013
Germany1878 Posts
November 06 2018 04:00 GMT
#28
On November 06 2018 10:17 Lazare1969 wrote:
Rain vs. Last is a tough call because Last got 3rd place in ASL6 whereas Rain won KSL vs. ASL showmatch which appears to have no prize money. In KSL2 Rain won his group 3-1 while Last won 3-0. Also based on sponsored matches in 2018.10-2018.11 Last has an Elo rank of 1308 whereas Rain has 1217.

Holy shit if you look at sorted by total winrate (I know Elo is better since it factors in opponents), the best Protoss that month is Rain at number 17 with a 55% winrate... damn
My heroes: Jangbi, Bisu, Stork and BeSt for BW, Rain, Zest and Stats for SC2! Need a better Signature tbh...
NoS-Craig
Profile Joined July 2011
Australia3170 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-11-06 06:01:36
November 06 2018 06:00 GMT
#29
I would've put Last over Rain. Third world and Sparkle are very strong protoss maps. Especially Sparkle, which in my opinion should be renamed to 'lol protoss wins'.

Other than that I agree with the rankings. EffOrt is number one so Eon doesn't have to go toxic in this thread. Thank God for that.
Artosis loves Starcraft
FlaShFTW
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States10569 Posts
November 06 2018 06:47 GMT
#30
On November 06 2018 09:44 Rodya wrote:
Shuttle is too high ): Honestly though, after the last power ranking, I've lost the will to complain about these. Well I'll say one more thing - was JD really left out because he wont be playing in a LAN this month? Isn't that the kind of thing that might impact next month's power ranking?

If you want to know why I think that Shuttle is too high: just look at his results - a solid group stage performance, and then barely getting past Action, who was not a true top 8 calibre player (though he had some exciting games including the Shuttle series). His match against Flash was really bad and his match against Last was more of the same. His results don't speak as a top 5 player - better to have Soulkey or JD there.

What makes you say that Soulkey is a good top 5 player right now? I don't really get taht vibe from him, considering he almost choked to Mini and that KSL series just looked absolutely terrible from him. I really had him barely in the top 10 at like 8 or something, anything higher than that was being too generous. I even talked with Jaeyun at Blizzcon about this and we both sorta agreed Soulkey was kinda slumping a bit. I think at his full potential he's easily in the top 4/5 players in the scene right now behind EffOrt FlaSh Last but his games haven't been looking impressive at all.
Writer#1 KT and FlaSh Fanboy || Woo Jung Ho Never Forget || Teamliquid Political Decision Desk
TL+ Member
TiQ.SinGi
Profile Joined December 2004
Norway386 Posts
November 06 2018 10:04 GMT
#31
Excellent write-up! Good job With this PR.
Loved Effort on that #1 spot. It is deserved and a true moment of history!
“Approved attributes and their relation to face make every man his own jailer; this is a fundamental social constraint even though each man may like his cell.” -Goffman
Qikz
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
United Kingdom12058 Posts
November 06 2018 10:59 GMT
#32
Keep seeing PR and thinking people mean the marketing term.
FanTaSy's #1 Fan | STPL Caster/Organiser | SKT BEST KT | https://twitch.tv/stpl
ortseam
Profile Joined April 2015
996 Posts
November 06 2018 11:01 GMT
#33
On November 06 2018 15:00 NoS-Craig wrote:
I would've put Last over Rain. Third world and Sparkle are very strong protoss maps. Especially Sparkle, which in my opinion should be renamed to 'lol protoss wins'.

Literally two posts above you it is explained that Sparkle is T>P , actually just as much as Third World is P>T. Maps were fine, Rain just played better
Acrofales
Profile Joined August 2010
Spain18453 Posts
November 06 2018 12:11 GMT
#34
On November 06 2018 07:57 thezanursic wrote:
"Most recently, he beat Last in a flawless 3-1 in the KSL vs. ASL showmatch."

Not to say the win wasn't impressive, but 3-1 is by definition, not flawless

This.

Also
Love him or hate him, everyone loves a good underdog.


No. If people hate him, then not everyone loves Shuttle, the underdog.

Some slightly wonky writing on this one
RWLabs
Profile Joined March 2017
Korea (South)273 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-11-06 13:07:14
November 06 2018 13:03 GMT
#35
Jeez everyone remembers ASL 5 maps as being PvT disaster maps... I'm on mobile so I can't write exact numbers, but that's what sponbbang is there for.

In all ASL 5 maps, Transistor was the only one broken in terms of PvT balance. But yeah sometimes mapmakers get it wrong; like how Camelot and Gold Rush were very Terran favoured. Other than that, Sparkle favours Terran, 3rd World favours Protoss, and Gladiator is about even. Honestly for a tournament with two concept maps, in terms of TvP it was pretty amazing. And besides, it's not like tournaments of the past had super balanced maps.

The real balance issue in ASL 5 maps was the ZvP balance, which skewed crazily in favour of Protoss (Sparkle, 3rd World). Gladiator favoured Zerg slightly, and Transistor favoured Zerg a little more. So bravo to Hero for making 3rd place.

In short, ASL 5 wasn't a "Let's make sure Protoss wins this one" as much as "Let's see how well Protoss does when Zergs are decimated."

I feel like I made this post a dozen times, but yeah. Flash and Last lost because they were outplayed, not because of the maps.
Aldaris was the good guy of Brood War.
BigFan
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
TLADT24920 Posts
November 06 2018 14:53 GMT
#36
hmm an interesting PR. Personally, I wouldn't have paid attention to that Rain vs Last showmatch, doesn't indicate much imo since the maps were wacky. I would've put Flash still at #1 as well. IMO, part of a PR is to rank players based on results, but also based on what I would term the "fear factor". Flash is still the scariest opponent for any player alive, including EffOrt. Just because EffOrt managed to win Flash in a close series doesn't mean he takes the #1 spot. It should take a lot more than that to dethrone Flash.

On the bright side, now we just wait for EffOrt to dethrone himself with his play in future tournaments and Flash will go back to #1 again haha.
Former BW EiC"Watch Bakemonogatari or I will kill you." -Toad, April 18th, 2017
Ty2
Profile Blog Joined March 2013
United States1434 Posts
November 06 2018 15:22 GMT
#37
--- Nuked ---
Writer
Elroi
Profile Joined August 2009
Sweden5617 Posts
November 06 2018 15:42 GMT
#38
As always I have to come in here and argue Jaedong should be higher. I said this last time, but I don't think willfully skipping a tournament should mean very much for the power rank. The power rank is (or at least was) never about who has the best results right now, its more like who are the scariest players right now. And Jeadong is one of the absolute scariest players.

Thanks for the ranking though, Big Fan!
"To all eSports fans, I want to be remembered as a progamer who can make something out of nothing, and someone who always does his best. I think that is the right way of living, and I'm always doing my best to follow that." - Jaedong. /watch?v=jfghAzJqAp0
rackdude
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United States882 Posts
November 06 2018 16:03 GMT
#39
Do people forget that Flash stopped practicing on Sparkle because he thought it was so Terran favored that there was no way he'd lose? And then he won there? And its win rate is Terran favored in TvP?

But Last lost because the Sparkle was Protoss favored? Logic is missing from this statement.
Sweet.
Alpha-NP-
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United States1242 Posts
November 06 2018 16:28 GMT
#40
Everyone used to say old island maps favored P in PvT but I never read a convincing argument.

Sparkle definitely favored T in TvP with all Terrans going Wraith/Valks against Corsairs.

I thought Effort’s ASL6 interview was interesting when he said the best PvZ player he feared the most was Mini. Mini must be amazing online but I agree he chokes in tournaments every time. He sounds like a poor loser that can’t mentally get past his early game mistakes.

I always like Best a lot and I think he is underrated. Can letmelose tell us something about how Best playstyle is different from Rain, Snow, Mini, and Shuttle? Thanks.
Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 6m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech44
StarCraft: Brood War
EffOrt 483
Horang2 379
Zeus 361
Larva 303
Jaedong 233
Pusan 118
Mind 104
sorry 74
ggaemo 68
Hyun 66
[ Show more ]
scan(afreeca) 55
Killer 49
Barracks 48
Bale 42
NotJumperer 31
Sharp 29
Sacsri 18
Hm[arnc] 17
Shinee 16
Noble 6
Dota 2
febbydoto101
League of Legends
JimRising 388
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1447
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King86
Other Games
summit1g7875
ceh9650
Happy355
crisheroes207
Sick174
Pyrionflax102
dupreeh96
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick558
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream40
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• killerbeecast9
• LUISG 7
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2277
League of Legends
• Jankos1129
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
6m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1h 6m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
14h 6m
Patches Events
1d 6h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.