• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:42
CEST 14:42
KST 21:42
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)41Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10048 users

I know im late to the party but... - Page 3

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All
c0ldfusion
Profile Joined October 2010
United States8293 Posts
August 14 2012 12:15 GMT
#41
On August 14 2012 08:53 Merfyn wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 14 2012 08:43 Gosi wrote:
I see that you play Protoss, be aware that in Broodwar you can't have custom hotkeys and Protoss hotkeys are a bitch in this game.

Hell, hotkeys for all races can be a bitch if you ain't used to them. Just a heads up, because I've seen a couple of these threads and in the end they are dumping the game because they make pylons and probes on P and can't change that, or that they can't select one probe and shift-add a couple of gateways or whatever.


Lol :D I dont care about that, for the last month iv been playing WC3, but its not fill the same ich that Starcraft did


Wc3's UI is pretty damn close star2's and obviously limitations like 12 unit selection isn't as big a deal in wc3 as it is in BW.

You can do the shift-build thing in Wc3, and you can do stuff like multi-building selection and right-click to rally.

BW is a very difficult game to play let alone master.
Merfyn
Profile Joined May 2011
United Kingdom945 Posts
August 14 2012 14:38 GMT
#42
On August 14 2012 21:15 c0ldfusion wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 14 2012 08:53 Merfyn wrote:
On August 14 2012 08:43 Gosi wrote:
I see that you play Protoss, be aware that in Broodwar you can't have custom hotkeys and Protoss hotkeys are a bitch in this game.

Hell, hotkeys for all races can be a bitch if you ain't used to them. Just a heads up, because I've seen a couple of these threads and in the end they are dumping the game because they make pylons and probes on P and can't change that, or that they can't select one probe and shift-add a couple of gateways or whatever.


Lol :D I dont care about that, for the last month iv been playing WC3, but its not fill the same ich that Starcraft did


Wc3's UI is pretty damn close star2's and obviously limitations like 12 unit selection isn't as big a deal in wc3 as it is in BW.

You can do the shift-build thing in Wc3, and you can do stuff like multi-building selection and right-click to rally.

BW is a very difficult game to play let alone master.


As iv stated previously, i dont care about the difficulty i just want a game to play for fun
"One cannot play StarCraft with clenched fish.."
IntoTheWow
Profile Blog Joined May 2004
is awesome32282 Posts
August 14 2012 15:05 GMT
#43
You don't have to play BW super competitive to have fun.

BW ums are fun, BGH is fun, 2v2 is fun and you can play 1v1 at low level or doing crazy builds and it will still be a lot of fun, even if you lose. I can tell you, because if it wasn't that way, I wouldn't be here.
Moderator<:3-/-<
Masq
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
Canada1792 Posts
August 14 2012 15:34 GMT
#44
is there an active foreigner bw community still?
Ive been having the BW itch lately but not knowing anyone that plays is preventing me from downloading it.
arb
Profile Blog Joined April 2008
Noobville17922 Posts
August 14 2012 15:36 GMT
#45
It's the greatest game ever made, and better than that shitheap they call a sequel

you should most definitely play it!
Artillery spawned from the forges of Hell
duncan.mc
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States231 Posts
August 14 2012 15:47 GMT
#46
On August 14 2012 09:53 eskashaborn wrote:
If you are going to play protoss I suggest you remap your caps lock key to the letter p. That's what I did and it has worked exquisitely! And if you want to get good, remember to use the hotkeys and ctrl groups and screen positions from the start. It's great to start on the right path. Don't forget to tell your workers to go to the mineral patches :D !

I like this simple hotkey remapper!

Good luck, and enjoy!


Uhhhhhhhhhh, don't we consider that illegal? I know there's no way to enforce it, but I'm pretty sure we'd suggest you play the game in its pure form -- spread out hotkeys and all.
djm858
c0ldfusion
Profile Joined October 2010
United States8293 Posts
August 14 2012 15:57 GMT
#47
On August 14 2012 23:38 Merfyn wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 14 2012 21:15 c0ldfusion wrote:
On August 14 2012 08:53 Merfyn wrote:
On August 14 2012 08:43 Gosi wrote:
I see that you play Protoss, be aware that in Broodwar you can't have custom hotkeys and Protoss hotkeys are a bitch in this game.

Hell, hotkeys for all races can be a bitch if you ain't used to them. Just a heads up, because I've seen a couple of these threads and in the end they are dumping the game because they make pylons and probes on P and can't change that, or that they can't select one probe and shift-add a couple of gateways or whatever.


Lol :D I dont care about that, for the last month iv been playing WC3, but its not fill the same ich that Starcraft did


Wc3's UI is pretty damn close star2's and obviously limitations like 12 unit selection isn't as big a deal in wc3 as it is in BW.

You can do the shift-build thing in Wc3, and you can do stuff like multi-building selection and right-click to rally.

BW is a very difficult game to play let alone master.


As iv stated previously, i dont care about the difficulty i just want a game to play for fun


Don't get me wrong, I still encourage you to play the game. I have extreme fond memories of messing around in BW.

I just wanted to give you a heads up so you don't feel frustrated upon immediately starting a game. I know when I went back after playing Wc3 it really felt like I was just fighting the UI.
JohnBall
Profile Joined December 2008
Brazil1272 Posts
August 14 2012 16:10 GMT
#48
Hey there OP. Welcome to BW, best competitive real time strategy game ever.

My suggestion for you is to learn at least one basic build order for the race you want to play. Check Liquipedia for that.

Then you practice that BO vs the computer trying to make sure you are executing it as close to the ideal as you can. Of course, it will take a lot of time before you really grasp the ins and outs of any BO so at this stage odds are you won't perform it well yet.

After you get the basics of the BO down (always keep building workers while following the order of the buildings, keep your money as low as possible, avoid getting supply blocked) you go on ICcup and practice there.

Next you are going to lose some 50 times to all kinds of strange BO and counters imaginable. At this stage it's important to keep in mind that you are gaining experience and honning your skills even when you don't win. Don't be worried about keeping on D level right now. It's ok to go D- or E rank when you start playing the BW.

After a while you start practicing other BOs or variations of the first BO and start playing on more maps and before you know it you will be able to sustain D level and even increase a little bit.

That's the gist of how a basic progression goes for BW.

Other advice that will help you improve: watch streams of the race you want to play here on teamliquid; Join a low rank clan - those provide great environment to learn the ropes; Chat on op teamliquid on Iccup - many people will be willing to answear your questions there.
perfecting the art of five pool forever
pigmanbear
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
Angola2010 Posts
August 14 2012 16:43 GMT
#49
On August 15 2012 00:57 c0ldfusion wrote:
I just wanted to give you a heads up so you don't feel frustrated upon immediately starting a game. I know when I went back after playing Wc3 it really felt like I was just fighting the UI.

To me that's a good thing. Playing BW, I feel like I'm *making* the game *do something*, like toys as a child. Playing SC2 I feel like the game is doing everything for me.
c0ldfusion
Profile Joined October 2010
United States8293 Posts
August 14 2012 16:57 GMT
#50
On August 15 2012 01:43 pigmanbear wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 15 2012 00:57 c0ldfusion wrote:
I just wanted to give you a heads up so you don't feel frustrated upon immediately starting a game. I know when I went back after playing Wc3 it really felt like I was just fighting the UI.

To me that's a good thing. Playing BW, I feel like I'm *making* the game *do something*, like toys as a child. Playing SC2 I feel like the game is doing everything for me.


Yeah, that's a fair point.

I guess to me, I just want to do the strategizing (and microing the troops to an extent) and do as little of the frills as possible.
FearAndSurprise
Profile Joined August 2012
Canada48 Posts
August 14 2012 17:14 GMT
#51
On August 14 2012 08:03 Merfyn wrote:
Basiclly, my main computer died a few weeks back (It was during exams so didnt really think to much about it then ) However, now that my exams are all done, i wanted to sit down and play some games, and here lies my problem...
My Old Computer isnt good enough to run SC2 with enough FPS for it to be viable in online games (i would get smashed more than usual) so my question to you people in the BW section, is
1) is it worth it downloading BW
2) What should i do before i play any games
3) are there any specific things i need to do before going online, i.e. ICCUP, antihack things? and how do i do these ?

Big thank you


Thank you, Merfyn!!! I hadn't played BW in years thinking that anyone still playing it would be absolutely dominating me and that it makes no sense to start playing again. Seeing that new players are still interested in starting to play I got the confidence to get ICCcup for the first time and get back into it knowing that there would still be people who are around my skill level to play against and practice with. I just played my first few games today, and I look forward to seeing you around =)
Notsober
Profile Joined November 2011
France54 Posts
August 14 2012 17:29 GMT
#52
On August 14 2012 08:03 Merfyn wrote:
Basiclly, my main computer died a few weeks back (It was during exams so didnt really think to much about it then ) However, now that my exams are all done, i wanted to sit down and play some games, and here lies my problem...
My Old Computer isnt good enough to run SC2 with enough FPS for it to be viable in online games (i would get smashed more than usual) so my question to you people in the BW section, is
1) is it worth it downloading BW
2) What should i do before i play any games
3) are there any specific things i need to do before going online, i.e. ICCUP, antihack things? and how do i do these ?

Big thank you


1) u expect ppl to say no ?? --
2) play games??
3) make some researchs...

kinda useless topic..
life is ;;
Merfyn
Profile Joined May 2011
United Kingdom945 Posts
August 14 2012 18:02 GMT
#53
On August 15 2012 02:29 Notsober wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 14 2012 08:03 Merfyn wrote:
Basiclly, my main computer died a few weeks back (It was during exams so didnt really think to much about it then ) However, now that my exams are all done, i wanted to sit down and play some games, and here lies my problem...
My Old Computer isnt good enough to run SC2 with enough FPS for it to be viable in online games (i would get smashed more than usual) so my question to you people in the BW section, is
1) is it worth it downloading BW
2) What should i do before i play any games
3) are there any specific things i need to do before going online, i.e. ICCUP, antihack things? and how do i do these ?

Big thank you


1) u expect ppl to say no ?? --
2) play games??
3) make some researchs...

kinda useless topic..


Thank you for a next to useless reply.
"One cannot play StarCraft with clenched fish.."
cLAN.Anax
Profile Blog Joined July 2012
United States2847 Posts
August 14 2012 18:08 GMT
#54
Have you ever played BW, or even orig., before? If not, it's definitely worth seeing how the legend that is StarCraft set its roots. At the very least, SC1 is a good time-burner; 'course, with a strong BW community like that of TL, you'll have plenty of folks to play with online.
┬─┬___(ツ)_/¯ 彡┻━┻ I am the 4%. "I cant believe i saw ANAL backwards before i saw the word LAN." - Capped
pigmanbear
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
Angola2010 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-08-14 18:35:10
August 14 2012 18:30 GMT
#55
On August 15 2012 01:57 c0ldfusion wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 15 2012 01:43 pigmanbear wrote:
On August 15 2012 00:57 c0ldfusion wrote:
I just wanted to give you a heads up so you don't feel frustrated upon immediately starting a game. I know when I went back after playing Wc3 it really felt like I was just fighting the UI.

To me that's a good thing. Playing BW, I feel like I'm *making* the game *do something*, like toys as a child. Playing SC2 I feel like the game is doing everything for me.


Yeah, that's a fair point.

I guess to me, I just want to do the strategizing (and microing the troops to an extent) and do as little of the frills as possible.

I thought the same for a little while ... a few days ago I fired SC2 up again to see if it finally worked (it did). I could barely hear the game and my mouse precision was really jacked up, but I easily crushed the Zerg with a mindless 8-gate 2-gas all-in attack. It felt like I had to do next to nothing to win ... make a bunch of gates, place some very late forward pylons, drop a few force fields. I was like ... wow, this blows. Back to BW

That's not to say SC2 at high levels is some no-skill venture. But some things in the game are just way too easy. If I wanted pure strategy I'd be playing chess or poker.
IGotPlayguuu
Profile Joined June 2011
Italy660 Posts
August 14 2012 18:45 GMT
#56
A suggestion of mine is to join a low level clan (join sGs ) and to find a practice partner: it will help a lot understanding the flow of the matchups
BW |JaeDong|Bisu|FBH|BeSt| SC2 |MC|DRG|MMA|TLO|HuK|July|ClouD| ||| Boxer best player ever! ||| "HuK never use penix" ||| I <3 SeleCT ||| GO Space! ||| Nerf Roach! |||
Merfyn
Profile Joined May 2011
United Kingdom945 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-08-14 19:28:33
August 14 2012 18:59 GMT
#57
Just finished Downloading the suggested things (ICCUP etc) and played a few games just vs the AI to see what macroing was like just have to say that this is really really fun :D
The Colours seem messed up for me atm, i tried the open the screen resolution thing, but its not worked, any suggestions?
"One cannot play StarCraft with clenched fish.."
TaShadan
Profile Joined February 2010
Germany1982 Posts
August 14 2012 19:07 GMT
#58
On August 15 2012 01:43 pigmanbear wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 15 2012 00:57 c0ldfusion wrote:
I just wanted to give you a heads up so you don't feel frustrated upon immediately starting a game. I know when I went back after playing Wc3 it really felt like I was just fighting the UI.

To me that's a good thing. Playing BW, I feel like I'm *making* the game *do something*, like toys as a child. Playing SC2 I feel like the game is doing everything for me.


yes same here
Total Annihilation Zero
L3gendary
Profile Joined October 2010
Canada1470 Posts
August 14 2012 20:45 GMT
#59
On August 15 2012 03:59 Merfyn wrote:
Just finished Downloading the suggested things (ICCUP etc) and played a few games just vs the AI to see what macroing was like just have to say that this is really really fun :D
The Colours seem messed up for me atm, i tried the open the screen resolution thing, but its not worked, any suggestions?


Yes, run this reg file it will fix the colours.
http://sixen.org/bnet/Color Fixes.reg
Watching Jaedong play purifies my eyes. -Coach Ju Hoon
Merfyn
Profile Joined May 2011
United Kingdom945 Posts
August 14 2012 20:54 GMT
#60
On August 15 2012 05:45 L3gendary wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 15 2012 03:59 Merfyn wrote:
Just finished Downloading the suggested things (ICCUP etc) and played a few games just vs the AI to see what macroing was like just have to say that this is really really fun :D
The Colours seem messed up for me atm, i tried the open the screen resolution thing, but its not worked, any suggestions?


Yes, run this reg file it will fix the colours.
http://sixen.org/bnet/Color Fixes.reg


Thank you!! it worked!
"One cannot play StarCraft with clenched fish.."
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 18m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech152
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 37393
Shuttle 2512
Horang2 985
Bisu 884
Jaedong 709
Light 613
Mini 519
BeSt 354
firebathero 330
Hyuk 297
[ Show more ]
EffOrt 263
Stork 259
Zeus 216
Soma 214
ggaemo 189
Soulkey 151
Last 149
ZerO 147
Rush 145
Snow 139
Leta 114
Killer 77
Pusan 77
hero 63
Mong 39
Mind 36
Sharp 34
Shinee 30
Shine 29
soO 26
Bale 24
Aegong 24
sorry 23
ToSsGirL 22
Trap 18
Free 17
Sexy 16
Yoon 15
Terrorterran 14
PianO 13
Noble 11
HiyA 11
ajuk12(nOOB) 8
JulyZerg 7
zelot 6
Icarus 5
NotJumperer 0
Dota 2
Gorgc4161
qojqva1752
Dendi979
420jenkins50
League of Legends
Reynor90
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1425
x6flipin375
markeloff86
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1960
crisheroes873
Other Games
gofns35210
singsing2148
B2W.Neo777
XBOCT351
DeMusliM186
Livibee173
Mlord157
XaKoH 136
Liquid`LucifroN129
QueenE88
Mew2King83
ArmadaUGS72
Chillindude16
ZerO(Twitch)11
Railgan9
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream180
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 6
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 73
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix3
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos2213
• TFBlade695
Other Games
• WagamamaTV178
Upcoming Events
OSC
18m
Stellar Fest
18m
Serral vs herO
Solar vs Shino
Maru vs Clem
SHIN vs GgMaChine
TaKeTV 0
OSC
11h 18m
Stellar Fest
1d
CranKy Ducklings
1d 21h
Online Event
1d 22h
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
[ Show More ]
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.