• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:50
CEST 18:50
KST 01:50
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)47Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8658 users

I know im late to the party but... - Page 4

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All
Tosstriss
Profile Joined November 2011
Canada334 Posts
August 15 2012 00:31 GMT
#61
Weird a lot of people are on USA East right now
Pucca
Profile Blog Joined January 2012
Taiwan1280 Posts
August 15 2012 04:52 GMT
#62
On August 14 2012 08:03 Merfyn wrote:
Basiclly, my main computer died a few weeks back (It was during exams so didnt really think to much about it then ) However, now that my exams are all done, i wanted to sit down and play some games, and here lies my problem...
My Old Computer isnt good enough to run SC2 with enough FPS for it to be viable in online games (i would get smashed more than usual) so my question to you people in the BW section, is
1) is it worth it downloading BW
2) What should i do before i play any games
3) are there any specific things i need to do before going online, i.e. ICCUP, antihack things? and how do i do these ?

Big thank you


You bring up a interesting point. Should new comers come into the Brood War scene. It is impossible to determine why you decided to turn to Brood War. This is entirely my opinion but I'd catorgrize in three different groups of people and of course people lie within the middle.

1) You want to become a very talented player. Be very competitive. This is a great option if you can train for long periods of time and consistently and want to participate in cash tournaments. But you will need a ton of time. For example joining a team like LRM, sas, SJ, iFU ect, and participate in gambit cup. Maybe you want to hone your skills as a indvidiual and participate in a potential ISL.

2) Your here to have a fun gaming experience. UMS for the most part and maybe the casual tournaments. For example Trozz's Gem League, the Torenhire Starleague, Pucca's CTF FFA tournament. Your not super competive but you just want to have fun and enjoy brood war.

3) Your here for the Brood War scene either Korean or Foreign. You want to constantly stay up-to date with players and help support them. You watch endless streams and VODs so find out what goes on in the scene. IE watching Gamibt, iCCupStarcraftTV, VODs of Torenhire SL, watching the PL from Korea.

I as a viewer can not identify your needs that it up for you to decide. I think it might be very difficult to join this scene as it was for me 9 months ago however it has been rewarding. I'd personally say I'm more of a 2 and 3 person in between. I'm not aiming to really improve just like giving back to the community and enjoy watching some funny Star Leagues.

Of course anyone can feel free to disagree with me.
Master Chief
VictorJones
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States235 Posts
August 15 2012 06:25 GMT
#63
If you want to play a couple games for fun, I will play with you! I never got to be all that good on ICCUP (like, D almost D+ but not quite there). PM me if you're interested
Garmer
Profile Joined October 2010
1286 Posts
August 15 2012 09:06 GMT
#64
BW worth playing? it's like asking if sex is worth to do
[sc1f]eonzerg
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Belgium7088 Posts
August 15 2012 09:10 GMT
#65
its never to late. Just Begin
im also i want share something. the reason i play bw is cuz i still loss in this game and proly never stop of loss so...
EveningStar
Profile Joined May 2012
28 Posts
August 15 2012 09:40 GMT
#66
If you dont't feel ready for Iccup you could download BWAI-launcher. Basically it adds a host of new computer ais to the game. They still have a lot of limitations but some of them macros quite well plus they use more sensible builds than the blizzard ai. Also you can make the program choose ais at random so you would need to learn to scout.

Could be a good way to get some basic mechanics down.
KuKri
Profile Joined February 2012
Germany168 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-08-15 11:26:05
August 15 2012 11:17 GMT
#67
I want to try BW, too. I already installed all of the above mentioned tools, installed the color fix, got an ICCup account, but in the menus the mouse is far too fast now because of the lowered resolution. Could somebody tell me what is the resolution in BW, so I can adjust the mouse speed with the ICCup launcher accordingly?
quirinus
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
Croatia2489 Posts
August 15 2012 11:38 GMT
#68
If you dl the iccup bw, it won't have music, which is more than awesome. I'd recommend downloading it an playing it in the background on repeat. xD
Also, using BW mini image makes things easier. (Just mount it with some free program that makes virtual CD drives, like Daemon Tools).

Here are tons of useful links:
Protoss guides
Stylish fpvods with bos
Oystein fpvods with bos
Recommended topics in strategy forum
Liquipedia Strategy
Day[9] BW Dailies
Day[9] BW Dailies on his web site (pages 20-25)
Day[9] podcasts (all are listed in the bottom spoiler)
Legacy/best pro-games (2001-2011)
Cool unusual pro-games

You can check here for current tournaments and leagues. There are many D/C and "real" leagues/tournaments going on or in the signup stage now (so you can join!):

D Ranks Team League Season 3
D Ranks Individual Tournament Season 3
The Torenhire Starleague I
[C rank] Yellow StarLeague
Gambit's Cup Season 3
[SRW] TheShimmy's Rush Week- College Ind. Tourney
Pucca Capture the Flag Free-for-All Tournament

And more... All of these are English commentated.
Here's an article on [ABC] Amateur Brood War Coverage (Vol I).

There are a lot of English commentaries of Proleague and more, by Sayle.

There's a lot more commentary by other people, you can search around a bit... or ask someone to link you.
All candles lit within him, and there was purity. | First auto-promoted BW LP editor.
KuKri
Profile Joined February 2012
Germany168 Posts
August 15 2012 11:42 GMT
#69
On August 15 2012 20:38 quirinus wrote:
If you dl the iccup bw, it won't have music, which is more than awesome. I'd recommend downloading it an playing it in the background on repeat. xD
Also, using BW mini image makes things easier. (Just mount it with some free program that makes virtual CD drives, like Daemon Tools).

Here are tons of useful links:
Protoss guides
Stylish fpvods with bos
Oystein fpvods with bos
Recommended topics in strategy forum
Liquipedia Strategy
Day[9] BW Dailies
Day[9] BW Dailies on his web site (pages 20-25)
Day[9] podcasts (all are listed in the bottom spoiler)
Legacy/best pro-games (2001-2011)
Cool unusual pro-games

You can check here for current tournaments and leagues. There are many D/C and "real" leagues/tournaments going on or in the signup stage now (so you can join!):

D Ranks Team League Season 3
D Ranks Individual Tournament Season 3
The Torenhire Starleague I
[C rank] Yellow StarLeague
Gambit's Cup Season 3
[SRW] TheShimmy's Rush Week- College Ind. Tourney
Pucca Capture the Flag Free-for-All Tournament

And more... All of these are English commentated.
Here's an article on [ABC] Amateur Brood War Coverage (Vol I).

There are a lot of English commentaries of Proleague and more, by Sayle.

There's a lot more commentary by other people, you can search around a bit... or ask someone to link you.

Thank you, I have already watched some of the old Day9 episodes and I'm regularly watching Sayle's commentary. But what's the BW ingame resolution? Google only gives me solutions on how to fix resolution in newer windows versions etc. I just want the number so I can calculate how much I have to reduce the mouse speed with the ICCup launcher to change to get the mouse speed I'm used to.
fire_brand
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Canada1123 Posts
August 15 2012 13:24 GMT
#70
Yes.

Go get stomped on ICCUP.

Install Starcraft, Install ICCUP launcher, antihack, and ICCUP maps.

Random player, pixel enthusiast, crappy illustrator, offlane/support
ImbaTosS
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United Kingdom1732 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-08-15 13:29:30
August 15 2012 13:28 GMT
#71
On August 15 2012 18:06 Garmer wrote:
BW worth playing? it's like asking if sex is worth to do

This guy knows what's up.

On August 15 2012 20:17 KuKri wrote:
I want to try BW, too. I already installed all of the above mentioned tools, installed the color fix, got an ICCup account, but in the menus the mouse is far too fast now because of the lowered resolution. Could somebody tell me what is the resolution in BW, so I can adjust the mouse speed with the ICCup launcher accordingly?

It's 640x480.
EleGant[AoV]
KuKri
Profile Joined February 2012
Germany168 Posts
August 15 2012 13:42 GMT
#72
On August 15 2012 22:28 ImbaTosS wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 15 2012 18:06 Garmer wrote:
BW worth playing? it's like asking if sex is worth to do

This guy knows what's up.

Show nested quote +
On August 15 2012 20:17 KuKri wrote:
I want to try BW, too. I already installed all of the above mentioned tools, installed the color fix, got an ICCup account, but in the menus the mouse is far too fast now because of the lowered resolution. Could somebody tell me what is the resolution in BW, so I can adjust the mouse speed with the ICCup launcher accordingly?

It's 640x480.

Finally, thank you! Now, to play, I have to create a game and name it like 'D' and host it in One on one mode? The only game I saw in One on one was called 'C+B-', am I trying to join the wrong way? Is there something like a quick game option? And how does the ranking system work, do the results automatically get uploaded to ICCup and then you get/lose some points? Sorry for all the questions, I can't find a guide on ICCup...
pigmanbear
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
Angola2010 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-08-15 13:51:07
August 15 2012 13:48 GMT
#73
On August 15 2012 22:42 KuKri wrote:
Finally, thank you! Now, to play, I have to create a game and name it like 'D' and host it in One on one mode? The only game I saw in One on one was called 'C+B-', am I trying to join the wrong way? Is there something like a quick game option? And how does the ranking system work, do the results automatically get uploaded to ICCup and then you get/lose some points? Sorry for all the questions, I can't find a guide on ICCup...

* To host a game you need port 6112 opened on your network (router). There is a good bit written about this if you search TL.
* Unless you think you're pretty good, do yourself a favor and advertise your game as "D- noob" or something like that. Check your opponent's stats when they enter the game and hope your opponent isn't a smurf. Don't join a game unless you see that their Anti-hack is "ON".
* You probably want to start out playing unranked games unless you think you're pretty good. "/join op teamliquid" or other channels like that to find friendly games (don't get me wrong, assholes show up in every channel at one time or another) to play or observe. This ought to help you gauge your skill level also.
* If you see a message in a channel like "111/zzz" that means that their game is named "111" and the password to join it is "zzz". This is the standard way to join a private game.
* Send a private message with "/w playerid message...", the whisper command. You can whisper to the person who last whispered you with "/r message...", so you don't need to specify the player id.
* You win or lose points based on your opponent's ranking. All results are automatically sent to ICCup servers. You can reset your rank/current stats every two weeks with "/clearstats YES" but your game results will still be visible on ICCup website.
KuKri
Profile Joined February 2012
Germany168 Posts
August 15 2012 13:51 GMT
#74
On August 15 2012 22:48 pigmanbear wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 15 2012 22:42 KuKri wrote:
Finally, thank you! Now, to play, I have to create a game and name it like 'D' and host it in One on one mode? The only game I saw in One on one was called 'C+B-', am I trying to join the wrong way? Is there something like a quick game option? And how does the ranking system work, do the results automatically get uploaded to ICCup and then you get/lose some points? Sorry for all the questions, I can't find a guide on ICCup...

* To host a game you need port 6112 opened on your network (router). There is a good bit written about this if you search TL.
* Unless you think you're pretty good, do yourself a favor and advertise your game as "D- noob" or something like that. Check your opponent's stats when they enter the game and hope your opponent isn't a smurf. Don't join a game unless you see that their Anti-hack is "ON".
* If you see a message in a channel like "111/zzz" that means that their game is named "111" and the password to join it is "zzz". This is the standard way to join a private game.
* You win or lose points based on your opponent's ranking. All results are automatically sent to ICCup servers. You can reset your rank/current stats every two weeks with "/clearstats YES" but your game results will still be visible on ICCup website.

Thank you.
I just tried to join a game called 'd-/e' but right upon joining I received the message 'You have been banned!' lol.
pigmanbear
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
Angola2010 Posts
August 15 2012 13:54 GMT
#75
I updated my post with a couple other tips just in case you didn't see that.
ImbaTosS
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United Kingdom1732 Posts
August 15 2012 14:03 GMT
#76
On August 15 2012 22:51 KuKri wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 15 2012 22:48 pigmanbear wrote:
On August 15 2012 22:42 KuKri wrote:
Finally, thank you! Now, to play, I have to create a game and name it like 'D' and host it in One on one mode? The only game I saw in One on one was called 'C+B-', am I trying to join the wrong way? Is there something like a quick game option? And how does the ranking system work, do the results automatically get uploaded to ICCup and then you get/lose some points? Sorry for all the questions, I can't find a guide on ICCup...

* To host a game you need port 6112 opened on your network (router). There is a good bit written about this if you search TL.
* Unless you think you're pretty good, do yourself a favor and advertise your game as "D- noob" or something like that. Check your opponent's stats when they enter the game and hope your opponent isn't a smurf. Don't join a game unless you see that their Anti-hack is "ON".
* If you see a message in a channel like "111/zzz" that means that their game is named "111" and the password to join it is "zzz". This is the standard way to join a private game.
* You win or lose points based on your opponent's ranking. All results are automatically sent to ICCup servers. You can reset your rank/current stats every two weeks with "/clearstats YES" but your game results will still be visible on ICCup website.

Thank you.
I just tried to join a game called 'd-/e' but right upon joining I received the message 'You have been banned!' lol.

That's probably because your points are at 1000- the base level for a new account. At that point you are D. Below you are D-, and E ranks. Above you... more than you could possible imagine :D

For portforwarding, go here Portforward.com and follow their guide.
EleGant[AoV]
Sephy90
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United States1785 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-08-15 14:08:21
August 15 2012 14:08 GMT
#77
1) is it worth it downloading BW
Forgive me but what kind of question is this? I don't understand it.

Of course it's worth it you big dumb doofus! Play all the missions man it's hella fun!
"So I turned the lights off at night and practiced by myself"
pigmanbear
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
Angola2010 Posts
August 15 2012 14:11 GMT
#78
On August 15 2012 23:08 Sephy90 wrote:
Of course it's worth it you big dumb doofus! Play all the missions man it's hella fun!

Haha yea, I just started doing this two days ago, trying to complete all campaigns in SC1 and BW ... so much fun! I remember doing this when the game came out for the Mac and I must've been 11 or so, but I was so bad back then I barely got anywhere (having only played WC2 campaign).
KuKri
Profile Joined February 2012
Germany168 Posts
August 15 2012 14:14 GMT
#79
I just played the first game as Protoss vs AI. Although I did not quite get how to macro and manage hotkeys I somehow pulled a win against the AI at some point. Opened up with what looked pretty similar to a Starcraft 2 force, Zeatlos, Dragoons and, because I was soooo high on gas, DTs. I would probably get some friends of mine, who I usually play SC2 or Diablo 3 with in the after working hours, to play with me. Two of them even used to play BW, but not really vs HI, just casually, the campaign mode and from time to time vs AI. Will be a lot of fun :-)
Now I have to learn how to use hotkeys (can't add buildings to one group by holding 'shift' and click?), learn the basics about units, counters and openers by reading and watching replays and when I'm feeling comfortable I'll give it a shot at the ladder, I'm so excited hahah
Darneck
Profile Joined September 2010
Sweden1394 Posts
August 15 2012 15:32 GMT
#80
I might hijack this thread a bit if that's alright. I myself have always been more a spectator than player but still play/played sc2 on and off and a bit of bw.

I'm curious if anyone's got suggestions for Protoss hotkeys and camera positions because the probe and pylon being on P makes them a bitch for me to transfer over the same from sc2. So has anyone got good suggestions of hotkey setups throughout the early, mid and lategame? And I know some of it will always preference.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 2
IntoTheiNu 1130
ComeBackTV 885
SteadfastSC472
TaKeTV 448
LamboSC2377
IndyStarCraft 169
Rex112
EnkiAlexander 51
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
13:00
King of the Hill #263
EmpressLilyy24
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SteadfastSC 472
LamboSC2 377
mouzHeroMarine 322
IndyStarCraft 169
ProTech156
Rex 112
UpATreeSC 91
BRAT_OK 72
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 32226
Shuttle 1541
EffOrt 892
Light 682
Mini 617
Soma 477
firebathero 287
Rush 211
Snow 189
ZerO 162
[ Show more ]
hero 103
sorry 52
Liquid`Ret 50
Killer 42
ToSsGirL 25
Sexy 24
Trap 20
Terrorterran 20
soO 20
Bale 17
Shine 15
Free 11
Sacsri 11
ajuk12(nOOB) 8
Dota 2
Gorgc7133
qojqva1841
Dendi958
420jenkins129
Counter-Strike
fl0m1344
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor2026
crisheroes1257
XaKoH 213
MindelVK9
Other Games
singsing1721
B2W.Neo1054
Beastyqt512
FrodaN405
Hui .192
ArmadaUGS190
KnowMe136
QueenE103
ceh971
Trikslyr63
C9.Mang060
Mew2King53
Dewaltoss41
ZerO(Twitch)17
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream70
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 5
• Migwel
• IndyKCrew
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• intothetv
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 23
• FirePhoenix14
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis3290
• TFBlade1231
Other Games
• imaqtpie406
• Shiphtur240
• WagamamaTV191
Upcoming Events
OSC
7h 10m
Stellar Fest
20h 10m
OSC
1d 5h
CranKy Ducklings
1d 17h
Online Event
1d 18h
FEL
1d 23h
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.