• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 17:45
CEST 23:45
KST 06:45
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site Bot on ladder BW General Discussion BSL Season 23
Tourneys
2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8055 users

[D] Innovation's TvZ (CC first)

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 Next All
sixilli
Profile Joined April 2013
51 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-10 19:22:30
May 09 2013 23:40 GMT
#1
Intro
I'm a diamond level player just looking to share my notes with the world and to discuss this strategy. I didn't really feel like going the whole 9 yards and making a guide but I feel like this could prove to be useful to other players looking to broaden their horizons.

The Build
This build is a pretty typical CC first with a fast third but the follow up is what makes this build so solid. By delaying the starport you're able to get stim and +1/+1 very quickly. The high hellion count of this build forces the zerg to invest into defenses. I took this build from his match vs life in the GSL game 2. In game 1 he favored a lower hellion count to get faster add ons. That build is much more complicated to map out but it's roughly the same.

I have also tested this build out many times in game to assure that these are the right numbers.

10 Depot
14 CC
15 Barracks (only build 2 marines)
16 Refinery
18 OC x2
20 Bunker
21 Factory
22 Reactor on barracks
23 Depot
26 CC(3)
@100% Factory swap to reactor, barracks starts techlab (Start stim after 1 marauder)
34~ wall in natural (depots)
44 Refinery
7:30 double engineering bays, then add 2 rax with 2 reactors immediatly
8:00 double refinery
8:45 Starport (reactor immediatly)
9:00 add 2 more Barracks add reactors immediately
12:00 add Factory (tehclab immediatly, research drilling claws)

Notes

Ideal mid game composition:marine, medivac, widow mine.

Make about 10 hellions then switch to widow mine production.

At 34 supply he spams depots so he can micro his hellions more intensively. He does this throughout the game

Replay
Will try to add replays of me doing this build sometimes soonish.
iAmJeffReY
Profile Joined August 2010
United States4262 Posts
May 09 2013 23:44 GMT
#2
Nice time to scour this. I will take any innovaiton builds I can get my hands on. Looking forward to reading.
Unbiased biased terran abuser Jeffrey. Sorry for the rage, friend!
sixilli
Profile Joined April 2013
51 Posts
May 09 2013 23:45 GMT
#3
On May 10 2013 08:44 iAmJeffReY wrote:
Nice time to scour this. I will take any innovaiton builds I can get my hands on. Looking forward to reading.


After seeing his recent success all I wanted to do was learn his builds but his replays are hard to come by.
Tuczniak
Profile Joined September 2010
1561 Posts
May 09 2013 23:54 GMT
#4
Is it ok to post restreamed videos of WCS KR (GSL)?
sixilli
Profile Joined April 2013
51 Posts
May 09 2013 23:55 GMT
#5
No idea but I can take them down if needed!
Ollz
Profile Joined May 2011
United Kingdom3 Posts
May 10 2013 11:18 GMT
#6
It's pretty obviously not okay if they're charging people to view the VODs?
Acreno
Profile Joined December 2012
Poland9 Posts
May 10 2013 19:01 GMT
#7
Realy good job ! Big thanks
AyaaLa
Profile Joined February 2012
Spain629 Posts
May 10 2013 19:04 GMT
#8
If InnovatioN goes to the finals this season i am going to travel to korea to see it live! Innovation is such a beast!
i balance whine all the time.
monk
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States8477 Posts
May 10 2013 19:04 GMT
#9
Please don't post re-streamed VODs. I've removed the links from your post.
Moderator
sixilli
Profile Joined April 2013
51 Posts
May 10 2013 19:22 GMT
#10
Sorry about that and thanks for not deleting my thread :D
ScrubS
Profile Joined September 2010
Netherlands436 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-10 20:02:34
May 10 2013 19:58 GMT
#11
Isn't this just the flash Flash used in MLG vs Life? He actually used it twice in his series (if i remember well). I think innovation just copied it of him :p

Edit: yeah, http://tv.majorleaguegaming.com/videos/100107-life-vs-flash-game-1-grand-finals-mlg-dallas-2013
I think he used it tons more in the tourny, I remember seeing him use that build like 4 or 5 times
captainwaffles
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
United States1050 Posts
May 10 2013 21:19 GMT
#12
Is this the build Innovation used vs Life in the group of death?
https://x.com/CaptainWaffless
Acreno
Profile Joined December 2012
Poland9 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-10 22:23:04
May 10 2013 21:21 GMT
#13
Anyone know how to adapt this build when zerg from my low level (gold/plat) trying to allin me from 2 base ?

I cant take my third when he send to my natural lots of ling + banes and I dont have enough stuff to don't lose to much :/
Then he is taking third and I'm way behind to win game. Should I need tank or sth else to hold it and safely expand ?
Jerom
Profile Joined April 2011
Netherlands588 Posts
May 10 2013 21:51 GMT
#14
On May 11 2013 06:21 Acreno wrote:
Anyone know how to adapt this build when zerg from my low level (gold/plat) trying to allin me from 2 base ?

I cant take my third when he send to my natural lots of ling + banes and I dont have enough stuff to don't lose to much :/
Then he is taking third and I'm way behing to win game. Should I need tank or sth else to hold it and safely expand ?

I'd say swapping around the factory and the barracks, once a tech lab has been made, to produce a single tank means you'll be completely safe. Maybe look at the VOD's of the code A series between DRG and Supernova, I think Supernova used that build, or at least something very similair to that, in game 2.
sixilli
Profile Joined April 2013
51 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-10 22:48:53
May 10 2013 22:36 GMT
#15
On May 11 2013 06:19 captainwaffles wrote:
Is this the build Innovation used vs Life in the group of death?


Yes it is!

On May 11 2013 04:58 ScrubS wrote:
Isn't this just the flash Flash used in MLG vs Life? He actually used it twice in his series (if i remember well). I think innovation just copied it of him :p

Edit: yeah, http://tv.majorleaguegaming.com/videos/100107-life-vs-flash-game-1-grand-finals-mlg-dallas-2013
I think he used it tons more in the tourny, I remember seeing him use that build like 4 or 5 times


After re watching some games I can say they aren't the same but they're similar. To be fair CC first prioritizing fast upgrades can be fairly cookie cutter in terms of build order. I'm sure innovation got the idea from flash but either way I'm happy with this build order.
TheKleszcz
Profile Joined August 2012
Poland11 Posts
May 11 2013 10:59 GMT
#16
Looks very interesting, thanks. Will it be ok to use against any race in lower leagues like till gold?

If you have any replays of it, please share.
sixilli
Profile Joined April 2013
51 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-11 16:49:20
May 11 2013 16:48 GMT
#17
On May 11 2013 19:59 TheKleszcz wrote:
Looks very interesting, thanks. Will it be ok to use against any race in lower leagues like till gold?

If you have any replays of it, please share.


I would have to say no. Terran and Protoss have so man agressive openings that I don't think it will be a good idea. Plus 10 hellions against protoss are going to be useless unless you drop them.
padfoota
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Taiwan1571 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-11 18:04:52
May 11 2013 17:57 GMT
#18
Isnt this THE standard build regarding hellions 3 CC into double upgrade mass rax build with mines/hellbat?
Although the same build applies if you go for 1 rax FE, 14 CC, or double reaper off a 11/11 timing then expand.


Yes, I am aware that the timing is a bit off depending from person to person and from BO to BO, but this is an opener into mid game transition, not a rush build or a timing attack build. TvZ is seriously just about early game hellions, 3rd CC, one marauder, mid game marine + reactor'd factory unit + medevac, and transition as needed

I applaud you for sharing the result of your research (most likely took you a couple hours) but I dont see why people should look very closely into the timings provided.


Depending on the current metagame you are dealing with, it might be slightly safer to go 1 rax FE or even 11 2x reaper expand that all transitions into the same thing. This is a TvZ build only. Its ok to attempt this in the lower leagues since its an extremely safe build if you react correctly, while giving you heavy early game pressure option with the 6-10 hellions + double widowmine.

Contrary to most TL guides, this build will NOT raise your winrate suddenly (see hellbat drop guide and the DT drop expand guide). It is pretty much the same as a detailed 1 rax FE guide on liquidpedia since its so commonly used these days.
Stop procrastinating
Thor.Rush
Profile Joined April 2011
Sweden702 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-11 18:02:01
May 11 2013 18:01 GMT
#19
I don't understand the point in posting this. Every top terran is doing this build except for minor tweaks here and there, but nothing really notable.
| SaSe | Naniwa |Stephano | LucifroN | Mvp | MarineKing | ByuN | Polt | MC | Parting |
sixilli
Profile Joined April 2013
51 Posts
May 11 2013 19:20 GMT
#20
On May 12 2013 03:01 Thor.Rush wrote:
I don't understand the point in posting this. Every top terran is doing this build except for minor tweaks here and there, but nothing really notable.


Well the reason to post this is most people don't know how to do an effective CC first build that's this far optimized. I know the build really isn't anything special but for someone who doesn't want to spend a few hours to learn a build order can just copy this one.
1 2 3 4 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL: Ladder Tournament
04:00
#2 - $100
ZZZero.O134
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SpeCial 143
ViBE3
PiGStarcraft0
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 14821
Dewaltoss 143
ZZZero.O 134
firebathero 107
Hyuk 87
Terrorterran 21
Dota 2
febbydoto62
NeuroSwarm54
League of Legends
Doublelift3835
Counter-Strike
Fnx 798
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby5941
Other Games
summit1g6578
FrodaN2295
fl0m620
mouzStarbuck414
KnowMe257
ToD202
ArmadaUGS140
JimRising 61
Mew2King46
Railgan41
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1124
BasetradeTV178
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream85
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 41
• musti20045 32
• Adnapsc2 18
• Letter148
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie643
• Shiphtur214
• tFFMrPink 12
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
12h 15m
INu's Battles
14h 15m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
17h 15m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
21h 15m
BSL Open Qualifier
21h 15m
Replay Cast
1d 1h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 12h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 13h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 18h
Replay Cast
2 days
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
6 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.