• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 10:40
CEST 16:40
KST 23:40
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9420 users

[G] A slightly improved PvT 1 gate FE

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 8 9 10 Next All
kcdc
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States2311 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-11 18:28:45
November 15 2011 23:27 GMT
#1
Many of you will remember this thread that arguably popularized 1 gate FE vs Terran on NA ladder. 1 gate FE remains one of the best openings that can be used in PvT, and a wide variety of 1 gate FE build orders are used which, for the most part, accomplish the same things.

After testing many of the 1 gate FE build orders, I settled on the one that I thought was best and assumed that everybody used it. But it has recently come to my attention that this particular BO may not be popular, so I'm sharing it to win much admiration and glory. And to help less experienced players or whatever.

13 gate -> scout
gas
pylon
core

This is normal. The core comes at 17 or 18 depending whether you use 2 or 3 chronoboosts on probes, which is essentially a matter of taste. More on chronoboost use in a bit.

zealot
stalker
nexus! (27 food if 2 chrono on probes, 27 or 28 food--map dependent--if 3 chrono on probes)

Here's where your scouting comes in. If you expect pressure, build your second gateway at 28 food, then start a probe, then a sentry. You'll see in the replay that I cut probe production for 5 seconds at this point. This is the only time in the build that I intentionally cut probes; if you see another time that my nexuses are idle, it's probably an error. If you don't expect pressure, you can get your 2nd gate after your sentry without cutting probes at all. If you don't know how to tell whether pressure is coming, it mostly boils down to whether you see T start a quick tech lab or a second barracks before his marine finishes. If you're in gold league and you're not sure, just get the fast 2nd gate. 5 seconds of probe cutting won't kill you.

Build a zealot immediately after your sentry. This zealot, your second gateway, and WG tech should all finish at the same time (~5:50), at which point you warp in 2 stalkers or a zealot and a stalker total 6 gateway units which is plenty to defend a 2-rax without pulling any probes.

Regarding chronoboost usage, using 2 chronoboosts on probes at the start times things up nicely because it lets you take your nexus at 27/34 and your second gateway at 28/34 without only 5 seconds of probe cutting. If you use a third chronoboost on your nexus before that point, it slightly extends that period, essentially wasting the chronoboost.

On the other hand, if T isn't doing a heavy-pressure build, you don't want to cut probes anyway, so the third chronoboost isn't wasted. Season to taste. Both options work fine, but for purposes of really syncing everything up and giving you that nice timing where you walk down and blast through T's pressure, the 2 chronoboost option will make your replay look cooler.

I'm favoring 3 chronoboosts on probes right now. I don't know exactly the difference on every map (it changes based on how far mineral patches are), but I still seem to be able to get everything out in time to deal with every push, although my first warp-in round finishes closer to 6:10 than 6:00. It's still fast enough to defend 2 or 3-rax.

In summary, this build slightly improves on my old zealot-stalker-stalker-nexus because it gets the nexus at 27 food, 175 minerals earlier than the 30 food nexus. It also gets the 2nd gate much earlier (250 minerals earlier than a build that starts a third stalker before a second gate) which allows you to warp in 2 units right at 6 minutes rather than one when you need it and another a little later. It also substantially eliminates the probe cutting that is common in 1 gate FE, makes use of the gas surplus you wind up with, and starts accumulating sentry energy earlier. I particularly like that the extra energy gives you the option of popping a guardian shield which helps a ton against the marine-heavy 2-rax.

The downside is that you're sitting on zealot+stalker for a short window when you'd otherwise have a second stalker. This means that you need to be a little more careful against super-fast marauder pressure. Grab a watch tower or position a probe/unit so that you can see in advance if T is doing a 2 marauder push with 2+ SCVs. If that push is coming, grab 4 probes and attack him before the bunkers get planted. If you wait to engage until the bunkers are started, it's harder to control and your units will attack the wrong stuff, so I think it's easiest to just pull early and nip the push at the bud.

The 2 marauder push with quick bunkers is the only one you want to use probes for. Even if you're going with the super-greedy transition I'm using lately (robo and 2nd assimilator before WG tech finishes), you can hold the reactor 2-rax without probes.

If you want a more in-depth discussion of the strategy of 1 gate FE, check out my old thread. It's old, but it should be a decent resource for new players.

[image loading]
Quochobao
Profile Joined October 2010
United States350 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-15 23:36:30
November 15 2011 23:36 GMT
#2
Thanks again kcdc! Your old 1 gate FE really did save my PvT -- I'm looking forward to this build doing the same to my current slump ><

Your opening is solid -- my question is more of a transition into mid game. Sometimes playing this build (in master) I'm too greedy on probes and tech, thus die to 2 base T stim timing (early stim due to 2 rax expo opening). Do you have advices on scouting the number of raxes --> appropriate response? The big question is when to tech to colossi? And if rely on gateway and upgrades, any ideas about twilight and forge timing?

Many thanks!
Best or nothing.
SeriouR
Profile Joined November 2010
Spain622 Posts
November 15 2011 23:38 GMT
#3
Nice write up, i noticed a small error when you are refering to "using 2 or 3 on probes" it is clear that you mean chronoboost, but it is only explicitly said afterwards

On the other hand, this is a very nice variation that i will try tomorrow with any luck
Thx you very much for this!
Trance music makes the fairys dance
[KGS]Slacker
Profile Joined November 2009
Denmark82 Posts
November 15 2011 23:40 GMT
#4
Thanks for the guide. I've been trying to do 1 gate FE recently but I have trouble holding off the 2 rax reactor first pressure that's fairly popular at the moment. My friend does that build almost exclusively in TvP so I'm definately going to try out this buid against him.

With regards to scouting the terrans build, do you ever pressure with the first zealot + stalker? I apologize if the replay answers this, I don't have sc2 installed on this PC.
kcdc
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States2311 Posts
November 15 2011 23:40 GMT
#5
On November 16 2011 08:36 Quochobao wrote:
Thanks again kcdc! Your old 1 gate FE really did save my PvT -- I'm looking forward to this build doing the same to my current slump ><

Your opening is solid -- my question is more of a transition into mid game. Sometimes playing this build (in master) I'm too greedy on probes and tech, thus die to 2 base T stim timing (early stim due to 2 rax expo opening). Do you have advices on scouting the number of raxes --> appropriate response? The big question is when to tech to colossi? And if rely on gateway and upgrades, any ideas about twilight and forge timing?

Many thanks!


Don't know!

Really, there are just too many options and variables to go into it. If you want quick ladder wins against standard bio expands, I recommend transitioning into a 7 gate all-in. Up to about the GM level, Terran players mostly can't stop it.
Geiko
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
France2036 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-15 23:43:31
November 15 2011 23:41 GMT
#6
What is the point of making the sentry after nexus when it only costs 50 minerals and you have just enough gas to afford it anyways after stalker ?

My 1gate FE is pretty much exactly this except it's zealot stalker sentry before nexus which allows me to maximize my gateway production. Are the 10 additional seconds on FE really worth having your units delayed by 20 secs ?
geiko.813 (EU)
kcdc
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States2311 Posts
November 15 2011 23:42 GMT
#7
On November 16 2011 08:38 SeriouR wrote:
Nice write up, i noticed a small error when you are refering to "using 2 or 3 on probes" it is clear that you mean chronoboost, but it is only explicitly said afterwards

On the other hand, this is a very nice variation that i will try tomorrow with any luck
Thx you very much for this!


Thanks. I've weeded out several mistakes and awkward phrasings, but I'm sure there's more in there.
kcdc
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States2311 Posts
November 15 2011 23:45 GMT
#8
On November 16 2011 08:40 [KGS]Slacker wrote:
Thanks for the guide. I've been trying to do 1 gate FE recently but I have trouble holding off the 2 rax reactor first pressure that's fairly popular at the moment. My friend does that build almost exclusively in TvP so I'm definately going to try out this buid against him.

With regards to scouting the terrans build, do you ever pressure with the first zealot + stalker? I apologize if the replay answers this, I don't have sc2 installed on this PC.


You can. I used to do that poke all the time (people on ladder sometimes called it the kcdc poke when I did it), but it's best to do when you chronoboost your first stalker and T doesn't go straight to tech lab after his first marine. Since I don't chronoboost my first stalker anymore, I don't bother with the poke.
zeehar
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Korea (South)3804 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-15 23:46:52
November 15 2011 23:46 GMT
#9
kcdc, you don't mention when you take the second gas. i imagine it'd be after the second gate?

thank you very much for updating this.
I AM THE UNIVERSAL CONSTANT
kcdc
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States2311 Posts
November 15 2011 23:50 GMT
#10
On November 16 2011 08:41 Geiko wrote:
What is the point of making the sentry after nexus when it only costs 50 minerals and you have just enough gas to afford it anyways after stalker ?

My 1gate FE is pretty much exactly this except it's zealot stalker sentry before nexus which allows me to maximize my gateway production. Are the 10 additional seconds on FE really worth having your units delayed by 20 secs ?


It just lets you get your nexus and 2nd gateway 50 minerals earlier. I used to do it the other way around, but I realized I wasn't using my sentry for anything at that timing and delaying my sentry still left me enough time to complete my 2nd zealot before WG tech, so it made sense to speed up the nexus and 2nd gate.
Pokebunny
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United States10654 Posts
November 15 2011 23:52 GMT
#11
Semipro Terran player | Pokebunny#1710 | twitter.com/Pokebunny | twitch.tv/Pokebunny | facebook.com/PokebunnySC
kcdc
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States2311 Posts
November 15 2011 23:52 GMT
#12
On November 16 2011 08:46 zeehar wrote:
kcdc, you don't mention when you take the second gas. i imagine it'd be after the second gate?

thank you very much for updating this.


Depends how you want to transition. I intentionally left this open. If you want to rush colossi or DT's or double-upgrades, take the 2nd gas early. If you want to all-in with zealots, take it late or not at all.
kcdc
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States2311 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-15 23:55:02
November 15 2011 23:53 GMT
#13
On November 16 2011 08:52 Pokebunny wrote:


Hey, at least you're not Baz.

Also, I used the replay against you because you're good and people can't whine that it worked because my opponent sucked. Hope you don't mind.
Pokebunny
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United States10654 Posts
November 15 2011 23:59 GMT
#14
On November 16 2011 08:53 kcdc wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 16 2011 08:52 Pokebunny wrote:


Hey, at least you're not Baz.

Also, I used the replay against you because you're good and people can't whine that it worked because my opponent sucked. Hope you don't mind.

Well you hit me on a slump day
Semipro Terran player | Pokebunny#1710 | twitter.com/Pokebunny | twitch.tv/Pokebunny | facebook.com/PokebunnySC
ZenithM
Profile Joined February 2011
France15952 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-16 00:15:31
November 16 2011 00:13 GMT
#15
Hey kcdc, thank you very much for this, I do a lot of different variants of 1 gate FE and I never can decide which is the best, glad to have a good player's take on this.

I have two questions:

_ Is there a reason to why you don't take the xel naga towers in the replay, or even poke the ramp (even if it's more dangerous I guess)? I'm used to take the furthest with my stalker and the nearest with my zealot. Is it to /really/ deny the scv scouting?
Edit: forget poking at the ramp, you scouted the 2 rax, still I think you could take the towers, right? Do you fear a reaper?

_ What's your opinion on a 1 gate nexus before core expand?

Thanks alot.
kcdc
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States2311 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-16 00:46:47
November 16 2011 00:44 GMT
#16
On November 16 2011 09:13 ZenithM wrote:
Hey kcdc, thank you very much for this, I do a lot of different variants of 1 gate FE and I never can decide which is the best, glad to have a good player's take on this.

I have two questions:

_ Is there a reason to why you don't take the xel naga towers in the replay, or even poke the ramp (even if it's more dangerous I guess)? I'm used to take the furthest with my stalker and the nearest with my zealot. Is it to /really/ deny the scv scouting?
Edit: forget poking at the ramp, you scouted the 2 rax, still I think you could take the towers, right? Do you fear a reaper?

_ What's your opinion on a 1 gate nexus before core expand?

Thanks alot.


Good questions. I don't poke the ramp because I don't chrono my stalker, so I don't know that it's safe. I didn't take the towers mostly because I was pretty sure what was coming and moving forward would have increased my chances of screwing up. I usually do take a central tower, but on on XNC, there's two attack paths, so you need to take both towers at the same time to make sure you didn't miss their army going by the other side. I'm bad at multi-tasking, and I wind up screwing up a bunch when messing with the towers on XNC. Also, I like to use my zealot and stalker to deny sneaky bunkering near my nexus (I did this in the replay).

I don't know anything about nexus before core. If you're delaying your stalker, why not go nexus first?
Indrium
Profile Joined November 2010
United States2236 Posts
November 16 2011 01:08 GMT
#17
Nice guide. I like it.

Can you hold a 3 rax with 2 gates? I've always used three gates with a 1 gate FE, doing a zealot-stalker-stalker and cutting probes to get 2 gates up. I see you hold off the 2 rax with 2 gate, but I think three would be a different story. How would you react differently, cutting probes for more gates? (Assuming you make the read that it's a 3 rax.)
kcdc
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States2311 Posts
November 16 2011 01:11 GMT
#18
On November 16 2011 10:08 Indrium wrote:
Nice guide. I like it.

Can you hold a 3 rax with 2 gates? I've always used three gates with a 1 gate FE, doing a zealot-stalker-stalker and cutting probes to get 2 gates up. I see you hold off the 2 rax with 2 gate, but I think three would be a different story. How would you react differently, cutting probes for more gates? (Assuming you make the read that it's a 3 rax.)


This falls into the transition period that I've left intentionally open. You have a bunch of minerals and gas around 34 food that you can use on extra gates, assimilator(s), forge(s), robo, twilight, etc. Do what you think makes sense.
Indrium
Profile Joined November 2010
United States2236 Posts
November 16 2011 01:15 GMT
#19
On November 16 2011 10:11 kcdc wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 16 2011 10:08 Indrium wrote:
Nice guide. I like it.

Can you hold a 3 rax with 2 gates? I've always used three gates with a 1 gate FE, doing a zealot-stalker-stalker and cutting probes to get 2 gates up. I see you hold off the 2 rax with 2 gate, but I think three would be a different story. How would you react differently, cutting probes for more gates? (Assuming you make the read that it's a 3 rax.)


This falls into the transition period that I've left intentionally open. You have a bunch of minerals and gas around 34 food that you can use on extra gates, assimilator(s), forge(s), robo, twilight, etc. Do what you think makes sense.


Cool, thanks.
CrazyF1r3f0x
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States2120 Posts
November 16 2011 01:16 GMT
#20
Why did you add those 2 extra gates before his push hit?
Were you just completely sure he would do the pressure and wanted to counter attack, or would you need more gates to hold if he went for like 3-4 rax?
"Actual happiness always looks pretty squalid in comparison with the overcompensations for misery."
1 2 3 4 5 8 9 10 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 1
IntoTheiNu 702
ComeBackTV 383
SteadfastSC349
Rex127
CosmosSc2 51
EnkiAlexander 46
LiquipediaDiscussion
Kung Fu Cup
11:00
2026 Week 25
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SteadfastSC 349
ProTech165
Rex 127
CosmosSc2 51
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 59404
Jaedong 1477
Hyuk 729
Soma 675
EffOrt 617
Horang2 524
Mini 491
BeSt 480
Soulkey 477
Larva 338
[ Show more ]
ZerO 296
Rush 294
Last 271
Stork 254
Snow 207
ggaemo 166
Light 155
Killer 85
hero 67
Mind 61
Pusan 49
Free 47
sorry 46
Shinee 38
Sharp 35
Shine 29
Bale 22
ToSsGirL 21
HiyA 19
Terrorterran 17
Trap 16
yabsab 15
Noble 11
Rock 7
Sacsri 7
Dota 2
Gorgc7729
qojqva1077
Dendi859
Counter-Strike
Fnx 654
markeloff138
x6flipin133
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes2190
Khaldor1894
Other Games
ArmadaUGS2610
singsing2134
olofmeister1115
B2W.Neo919
hiko850
byalli395
Liquid`VortiX191
Pyrionflax190
KnowMe115
QueenE75
Mew2King61
ZerO(Twitch)13
Railgan10
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream106
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH305
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 1735
League of Legends
• Nemesis1957
• Jankos1311
• TFBlade746
Other Games
• Shiphtur271
• WagamamaTV208
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
19h 21m
OSC
22h 21m
Stellar Fest
22h 21m
OSC
1d 9h
Stellar Fest
1d 22h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.