• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 10:46
CEST 16:46
KST 23:46
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)46Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8600 users

Why We Love Brood War

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 13 14 15 Next All
Chef
Profile Blog Joined August 2005
10810 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-02 05:56:02
September 02 2011 04:03 GMT
#1
[image loading]

      Sometimes it's hard to express just what Brood War means to me; I think it's the same for a lot of people. There are so many things that are amazing about this game that go unsaid by fans because we feel that it should be obvious just by looking at it. Today I invite you to challenge yourself to put what Brood War means to you into words: tell us an anecdote that is close to your heart, tell us about how this game is played, tell us what makes it more than a game. I've asked a few veterans to get the ball rolling with their own thoughts, but I hope you'll participate too. If your story is really interesting I may add it to the OP (or not, don't be offended o.o;; ).



[image loading]

      I love Brood War because I love seeing Koreans cry. I love Brood War because that’s the intensity of this game at the professional level. Hours and hours of practice and dedication and striving to be the best you can be all leads to a single moment on the stage. A moment so intense that no matter how reserved you are you cannot hold back your emotions, your happiness, your disappointment. To watch people who have worked so hard for something inspires me, it makes me want to work hard too. To become a fan of a particular player, to go through with him on his ups and downs and feel genuinely affected by his wins and losses is what makes this game so beautiful to me.
      This game has so much energy in it; the emotions of the players, not just anger, but sadness, happiness, supreme confidence and agitation, all affect how the player performs. A misclick is devastating in agitation. A poor decision ruins players who are distracted. Everything every player does is so directly linked to him, that the game is an extension of his being. This is where personality in Brood War comes from. You can play this game a million different ways, you can focus on macro, micro, tactics or strategy, and it will always show through to your fans. They will know you and your play style. As fans, you will know your players.
      I remember the intensity of my own games, I remember the sweat from playing a hard, drawn out game, and I remember the feeling of pure satisfaction from winning. I remember defeats where I realised only after the game what had happened. I know what goes through a player's head, and how it feels to be on either side of the fence. I love to live that again and again through all the storylines and the prophecies and the superstitions that make this game so exciting. It’s this game that is so intense and has so much personality that makes that possible. I love Brood War because I love seeing Koreans cry.

[image loading]




[image loading]

      I have played and loved Starcraft ever since the moment my small 8 year old hands had touched the game. It was exciting, new, adventurous, and of course fun. The competitive scene, which I had found only a few years later was even more thrilling. The anticipation and training for a single day, the sweat and the frustration of a difficult game. I have played the game for 13 years now, and it is more than a game. It's the community, the friends I have made, the rivalry that makes you train even harder, its all of these and so much more.
      The feeling of walking into a tournament or starting a new game has always been exhilarating. Kali, Gamei, PGTour, Neo-Gamei, WGTour, ICCUP, Brain, Fish, all these servers always have hundreds if not thousands of people who train just as hard, if not more so perfecting every tiny detail in their game play.
      The thoughts of your last game of the day running through your mind, replaying every moment, every click over and over. Sometimes it's pride in your micro or macro mechanics. Sometimes it's in the confusion in what you did wrong. How did he have such a bigger army? How was he so much better? What did I do wrong? The game grows itself onto you like a blanky or a stuffed teddy bear since you were young. It means more than words, and you never want to see it go.

[image loading]




[image loading]

because it's fun


[image loading]




[image loading]

      I love BW because it's limitless (I don't even know if that's the word I'm searching for, but I can't think of a better one). I'm no longtime veteran fan; I've been following since no earlier than 2009. I'm not a skilled player; I'm hardly better than a computer on a good day. I have barely any true grasp of strategy. But still, games of Brood War are simply thrilling to watch.
      You don't have to be a micro genius who practices hours daily to enjoy watching Brood War. If anything, simply knowing the units and spells is enough. There is a certain innate magic in CC infestation, DTs, reaver drops, devastating vulture harass, tank standoffs, and yes, even muta dances.
      All it really takes is enough of a brain to wonder what might happen next. And that's not much of a limit.

[image loading]




[image loading]

Brood War is like wine.
It's great to play with wine too.
I love the whine/cheese.


[image loading]




[image loading]

      Brood War is the only game I will stay up until 3 AM to watch. I watch it more than I watch regular sports, and that's a difficult thing to beat. I can't play the game to save my life, but something about watching it makes those lonely nights so much better and exciting. I squeal every time Jaedong wins a game or every time Bisu loses.

      go BW

[image loading]




[image loading]

      I love Broodwar because it is just an awesome game you can never get enough from. If you're not motivated to play, hell yea you still want to watch it. It's one part of my identity. My hobby.
      When I first started playing it was only casual until me and my best friend discovered the korean pro scene. Man had we fun. Imagine your time as a kid when you dressed like a person you ever wanted to be? Well, my best friend and I photoshopped our heads on Grrr...'s and and I think it was Yellow's spacesuits and made progamer ID's. Fuck astronauts or something, we were fucking progamers. I love Broodwar because it's an awesome childhood memory.
      I love that I can get as excited about "my" Broodwar team as "regular" sports fans can get about their team. I almost cried sometimes. Both of pure joy and sadness.

      You cannot not love SC:BW.

[image loading]




[image loading]

Because of BoxeR's empire
NaDa's Brilliance
Reach's Manliness
XellOs's Sexiness
Nal_rA's Dreams
YellOw's Silver Crown
July's sponsor picture of a steak.
iloveoov's Hidden Banana Stash
Kwanro's Flowchart to success
Firebathero's Dance Moves
EffOrt's Invasion
Bisu's Cough Ninja Mask
Stork's Golden Carrier Badge
Jaedong's Death Stare
FlaSh's Robotic Eye

      Each of these players (and many more) shared an interesting story to tell that's well worth a listen to which they told over the years with their careers. Beyond what you see in the game of Brood War, you could see who they were as people. All of them are inspirational, but it was BoxeR's autobiography that really puts it more than anyone ever could. It's one thing I could suggest not just to his fans or fans of BW, but to anyone wanting motivation because 'they wanted to take the easier path in life.'

[image loading]




[image loading]

      Brood War is everything. It's the coolest form of meditation on earth. You can play it without knowing the vastness that it offers and still love it. It's a never-ending story. Every match is a story. And every match is a different story.
      I love Brood War because it's an incredible form of expression. And it's an incredibly fun form of expression.
      I love that every time I watch a Brood War match, I can see exactly what each player is doing and what they are thinking. When I see Jaedong controls his mutalisks, I feel as if we are one. When Kal loses his shuttle but just makes another one, I know exactly how he is feeling. When I see fantasy pull off an amazing build, I envy his genius and feel just as smart for realizing it.
      There's just this magic to Brood War that makes it so much more compelling than any other game I've ever played. Perhaps it's just the amazing complexity/simplicity of all the units that allows countless forms of creativity. Perhaps it's the interface that allows eternal room to improve that binds us all together.
      Or maybe it's just the angelic voices of korean commentators that keep us all here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vpuv7VPb2rA




[image loading]

      Who can explain it? Love for Broodwar is best when you have love for the players. There's nothing quite like supporting your favourite Broodwar team or player. For sports' leagues, you have a hometown with a team and you root for it out of locational convenience. I honestly believe the attachment you get to a team or player that you create only from watching them play is far greater than rooting for the home team. You're invested in your favourite player because he entertains you and you have no choice but to root for his success. When JangBi defeated Flash I got on my knees, put my hands on my head, and literally chanted "oh my god" several times. It's not a hometown thing - it's a love for someone you picked and you chose to support. And JangBi isn't even my favourtie Protoss. You should see me when Stork wins.

[image loading]
LEGEND!! LEGEND!!
Game
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
3191 Posts
September 02 2011 04:05 GMT
#2
"Brood War is like wine."
I agree, it only gets better with age.
SC is like sex. You should play often, but never too hard. And you should only try hard when it matters.
BLinD-RawR
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
ALLEYCAT BLUES51543 Posts
September 02 2011 04:07 GMT
#3
Brood War is like sex monkeys from Mt.Everest.

Epic,awesome,random and unreal.
Brood War EICWoo Jung Ho, never forget.| Twitter: @BLinDRawR
Crunchums
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
United States11144 Posts
September 02 2011 04:12 GMT
#4
My favorite part is... those images of usernames o.O
brood war for life, brood war forever
Taekwon
Profile Joined May 2010
United States8155 Posts
September 02 2011 04:16 GMT
#5
Broodwar encompasses everything life means.
▲ ▲ ▲
endy
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Switzerland8970 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-02 05:26:10
September 02 2011 04:17 GMT
#6
I can't even express why I love BW. It's magical.
When I play on Iccup, I'm like a kid trying to make a coin appear between my fingers, while progamers are David Copperfield, Harry Houdini, and David Blaine combined.


PS : Please Chef, don't try a personality test based on why I love BW.


edit : oh and because I cry every time I read that MSL cartoon :
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=251856
ॐ
Ryusei-R1
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States2106 Posts
September 02 2011 04:19 GMT
#7
Brood War is the only game I will stay up until 3 AM to watch. I watch it more than I watch regular sports, and that's a difficult thing to beat. I can't play the game to save my life, but something about watching it makes those lonely nights so much better and exciting. I squeal every time Jaedong wins a game or every time Bisu loses.

go BW
Jaedong plz
EtherealDeath
Profile Blog Joined July 2007
United States8366 Posts
September 02 2011 04:19 GMT
#8
Haha Trozz's part is the best, did not expect that ending.
reG.neaZ
Profile Joined July 2010
Mexico38 Posts
September 02 2011 04:20 GMT
#9
when marines get microed against lurkers, basically that is just crack for me :D, i just love this game !
Visualize the win, and you will succeed.
Dozle
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada147 Posts
September 02 2011 04:21 GMT
#10
I love this game because the amount of skill required. It is truly a sport.
DyEnasTy
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States3720 Posts
September 02 2011 04:27 GMT
#11
This thread needs to be highlighted. Purely awesome. Especially for those who played BW and have forgotten their roots.
Much better to die an awesome Terran than to live as a magic wielding fairy or a mindless sac of biological goop. -Manifesto7
ghrur
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States3786 Posts
September 02 2011 04:30 GMT
#12
I love Broodwar because of the feelings it brings out. I love it because of the players, of their sincerity. I love it because of the community.
darkness overpowering
Holgerius
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Sweden16951 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-02 04:33:17
September 02 2011 04:32 GMT
#13
On September 02 2011 13:03 Chef wrote:
I love seeing Koreans cry

How nice of you.

Cool thread! ^__^ Might write something later meself, if I can find the time.
I believe in the almighty Grötslev! -- I am never serious and you should never believe a thing I say. Including the previous sentence.
imEnex
Profile Joined June 2011
Canada500 Posts
September 02 2011 04:34 GMT
#14
On September 02 2011 13:05 Game wrote:
"Brood War is like wine."
I agree, it only gets better with age.


So true.
Program yourself to Success
101toss
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
3232 Posts
September 02 2011 04:34 GMT
#15
7v1 bgh comp stomp with bs'ing

One feature sc2 lacks
Math doesn't kill champions and neither do wards
Harem
Profile Joined November 2007
United States11393 Posts
September 02 2011 04:35 GMT
#16
This is why:

On December 13 2010 16:05 yoonyoon wrote:






Moderator。◕‿◕。
imEnex
Profile Joined June 2011
Canada500 Posts
September 02 2011 04:35 GMT
#17
People think that e-sports is lame and stupid.. I think that Starcraft is limitless and takes so much skill to master the game itself.
Program yourself to Success
Doraemon
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Australia14949 Posts
September 02 2011 04:38 GMT
#18
it's just beautiful
Do yourself a favour and just STFU
Keniji
Profile Blog Joined April 2008
Netherlands2569 Posts
September 02 2011 04:41 GMT
#19
I love Broodwar because it is just an awesome game you can never get enough from. If you're not motivated to play, hell yea you still want to watch it. It's one part of my identity. My hobby.
When I first started playing it was only casual until me and my best friend discovered the korean pro scene. Man had we fun. Imagine your time as a kid when you dressed like a person you ever wanted to be? Well, my best friend and I photoshopped our heads on Grrr...'s and and I think it was Yellow's spacesuits and made progamer ID's. Fuck astronauts or something, we were fucking progamers. I love Broodwar because it's an awesome childhood memory.
I love that I can get as excited about "my" Broodwar team as "regular" sports fans can get about their team. I almost cried sometimes. Both of pure joy and sadness.

You cannot not love SC:BW.

sh4w
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States713 Posts
September 02 2011 04:41 GMT
#20
It seems like everyone has their own story on how they got into Broodwar, but they all are really very similar. Most started really young, and it just stuck with them all this time.
For me it was 2001, I was 13, the game was actually given to me by a friend of my parents, still to this day the best gift I have ever received. I didn't have the expansion, just vanilla Starcraft, but I played the shit out of that game. I must have played through the campaign at least 20 times through. Literally every second of free time was spent playing Starcraft. I don't know if this friend heard from my parents how much I enjoyed the game, but 6 months later he sent me the Expansion Pack, the second best gift I have ever received ^_^. By this time I had the internet and my Starcraft addiction was in full force. I played so much Starcraft, mostly UMS and money maps and team games, normal I guess for a 14 year old. I remember sitting on the living room computer, me and the monitor underneath a blanket, so that the light didn't wake up anyone, playing Starcraft until 4 or 5 in the morning, and dreading my decision the next day at school.
I didn't even know about pro gaming or try to play competitively until maybe 2 years ago...but still I loved this game more than anything, not even realizing how big it was.
I guess what I'm getting at is the reason I love Starcraft is the 9+ years of memories I have with it, nothing else has ever even come close to keeping my interest that long, and no game can ever really take it's place, that would just be impossible. It's a hard thing to explain, and I guess most people won't understand, but it's been almost 10 years and my favorite thing in the world is still loading up a game of SC:BW.
I want to go back to being weird. I like being weird. Weird is all I've got. That and my sweet style.
1 2 3 4 5 13 14 15 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 2
Serral vs herO
Solar vs Shino
Maru vs Clem
SHIN vs GgMaChine
IntoTheiNu 1333
ComeBackTV 502
SteadfastSC431
TaKeTV 354
LamboSC2280
IndyStarCraft 142
Rex136
EnkiAlexander 56
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
13:00
King of the Hill #263
EmpressLilyy26
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SteadfastSC 431
LamboSC2 280
ProTech145
IndyStarCraft 142
Rex 136
BRAT_OK 64
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 40662
Shuttle 2525
Horang2 923
EffOrt 908
Light 874
Mini 789
Soma 397
BeSt 330
Stork 325
firebathero 317
[ Show more ]
Rush 266
Hyuk 241
Snow 240
ZerO 217
ggaemo 175
Leta 102
Pusan 84
hero 80
Killer 62
Sea.KH 60
Sharp 47
sorry 39
Shinee 35
Mind 35
ToSsGirL 31
Mong 29
Bale 28
Shine 27
Aegong 25
soO 23
Sexy 23
Trap 22
Terrorterran 19
Free 15
NotJumperer 11
Sacsri 9
JulyZerg 9
zelot 8
ajuk12(nOOB) 6
Noble 5
Dota 2
Gorgc8899
Dendi904
qojqva789
Fuzer 178
420jenkins146
Counter-Strike
markeloff166
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor2005
crisheroes1227
XaKoH 194
Other Games
singsing1962
B2W.Neo951
Hui .193
Liquid`VortiX179
ArmadaUGS149
QueenE104
Mew2King101
ZerO(Twitch)20
Railgan17
Trikslyr2
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream98
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 5
[ Show 17 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Gemini_19 10
• mYiSmile18
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Migwel
• IndyKCrew
• intothetv
• Kozan
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix8
• HerbMon 3
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 2049
League of Legends
• Nemesis2885
• Jankos2419
• TFBlade901
Other Games
• WagamamaTV182
Upcoming Events
OSC
9h 15m
Stellar Fest
22h 15m
OSC
1d 7h
CranKy Ducklings
1d 19h
Online Event
1d 20h
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.