• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 14:04
CEST 20:04
KST 03:04
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War645.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament Rollback Netcode in Brood War TL Sidebar missing streams
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
The Link Between Gaming and …
TrAiDoS
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 11771 users

Swine flu vaccine

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All
Iplaythings
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Denmark9110 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-11-21 18:00:31
November 20 2009 15:55 GMT
#1
+ Show Spoiler +
(I have had the vaccine before writing this)

As we all know the swine flu pandemic is here. It will hit people with uncureable diseases and lung problems (maybe more, cant remember) harder then the usual people.
I have astma myself, so I am included into the danger zone.

Then I started thinking about the vaccine, the media has been telling the public how bad and how dangerous the vaccine is supposed to be (atleast in Denmark they have).

The media's arguements were that the vaccine contains mercury and nervegas. Well that sounds awful, doesn't it? Well while the vaccine does contain mercury and nervegas, according to a doctor (who my dad talked to) there is more mercury in a plaicefillet.
Now while people might argue for and against how much it contains.
But if the doctor my dad asked isn't completely full of shit then either plaicefillet's are very unhealthy or the mercury in it does nonexistant damage.

Now, however I wouldn't go as far as saying the vaccine hasn't side effects.
Because it has. The side effects I am experiencing + Show Spoiler +
while writing this
is pain in the place where the needle has been (can't use my left shoulder without it hurts), nausea, headache, stomachache and dizzyness.
To say it so everyone can understand it, you get a not-so-bad influenza for 48 hours. Which is a pain in the ass.
The doctor said that the side effects would last 1-2 day after the vaccine.
Even though most of the pain was cured by taking a pinex (pain-relieving pill) I still had nausea.

So for all of you guys who consider taking the vaccine. I wouldn't advice you to unless you either have uncureable diseases or lung problems (such as astma) because 1-2 days of sickness really sucks. Also I am going to have another vaccine in a week. (Probally means another 48 hours of pain, yay!)

When my side effects aren't showing anymore I will keep you guys up to date with how many hours it took me to get back into shape.
Sorry in advance if it is badly written, english isn't my native language.

Edit: Had it better after 2 days, no aches today
In the woods, there lurks..
DragoonPK
Profile Blog Joined July 2007
3259 Posts
November 20 2009 16:08 GMT
#2
My theory about the vaccination is that the events of "I am Legend" will happen in 2012! But seriously, my mother is a pharmacist and she told me to avoid taking the vaccination at the early stages because we don't really know what are the longer term side effects might be.
Iplaythings
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Denmark9110 Posts
November 20 2009 16:11 GMT
#3
On November 21 2009 01:08 DragoonPK wrote:
My theory about the vaccination is that the events of "I am Legend" will happen in 2012! But seriously, my mother is a pharmacist and she told me to avoid taking the vaccination at the early stages because we don't really know what are the longer term side effects might be.

Ahw, how I hate your last sentence, "long term" =(
However unless you aren't in the danger zone (lung problems / uncureable disease).
In the woods, there lurks..
Roffles *
Profile Blog Joined April 2007
Pitcairn19291 Posts
November 20 2009 16:11 GMT
#4
Really? Our campus just got it's supply of H1N1 vaccines, but from what I've heard not many people have had many symptoms, and those who had symptoms got administered the nasal spray.

Hope you get well soon!
God Bless
Eatme
Profile Blog Joined June 2003
Switzerland3919 Posts
November 20 2009 16:12 GMT
#5
My sideeffect was slight pain when a friend slapped me on the muscle where they put the needle, nothing else.
So for all of you guys who consider taking the vaccine. I would strongly advice you to so because death or weeks of sickness really sucks.
I have the best fucking lawyers in the country including the man they call the Malmis.
Captain Mayhem
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Sweden774 Posts
November 20 2009 16:16 GMT
#6
On November 21 2009 01:08 DragoonPK wrote:
My theory about the vaccination is that the events of "I am Legend" will happen in 2012! But seriously, my mother is a pharmacist and she told me to avoid taking the vaccination at the early stages because we don't really know what are the longer term side effects might be.

Heh, and my mom's a district nurse. She's not taking it at all

And neither am I. The swine flu is milder than the regular, yearly flu we have, and I prefer to build my resistance the old fashioned way rather than taking this still debated vaccine.
Gravity is just a theory anyway.
amoxicilline
Profile Joined August 2005
France1124 Posts
November 20 2009 16:16 GMT
#7
I don't think you're qualified to advise people about having or not the vaccine, doctors are.
It has side effects , like every vaccine , like any medication. ( personnaly my shoulder hurt a bit for about 24 hours).

The H1N1 can be dangerous (death) for everybody, even young people with no chronic disease.
(older people are kind of immune because they were in contact with the virus years ago).
It has already killed people. I don't think there is a case of someone whose life was in danger because of the vaccine.

So if I can advise people, do the vaccine.

Amber[LighT]
Profile Blog Joined June 2005
United States5078 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-11-20 16:21:10
November 20 2009 16:17 GMT
#8
I got the regular flu vaccine since it's more dangerous and the shot was free from my job.

Swine Flu doesn't scare me.

As long as you don't end up with dystonia (or w/e) the vaccine won't be painful. (regular flu shot, not swine)

youtube video to backup the idea of dystonic tendencies from a flu vaccine:

+ Show Spoiler +




*I did ask the woman who gave me my flu shot she said that most side-effects and dangers are only at risk of people who have serious illnesses and things like this happen in a 1 in a million.

Flu shots are good guys, don't _not_ get one.
"We have unfinished business, I and he."
amoxicilline
Profile Joined August 2005
France1124 Posts
November 20 2009 16:19 GMT
#9
On November 21 2009 01:17 Amber[LighT] wrote:
I got the regular flu vaccine since it's more dangerous and the shot was free from my job.

Swine Flu doesn't scare me.


That's incorrect. Swine flu is more dangerous for people of our age (15-35 ?) , without chronic disease. It's the opposite for older sick people.
Foucault
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Sweden2826 Posts
November 20 2009 16:28 GMT
#10
On November 21 2009 01:16 Captain Mayhem wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 21 2009 01:08 DragoonPK wrote:
My theory about the vaccination is that the events of "I am Legend" will happen in 2012! But seriously, my mother is a pharmacist and she told me to avoid taking the vaccination at the early stages because we don't really know what are the longer term side effects might be.

Heh, and my mom's a district nurse. She's not taking it at all

And neither am I. The swine flu is milder than the regular, yearly flu we have, and I prefer to build my resistance the old fashioned way rather than taking this still debated vaccine.


Thank you. I agree wholeheartedly with what you just said. I'm sooo tired of the talk about the swine flu in Sweden, people think it's some sort of mass killing virus. GET REAL lol

I know that deep inside of you there's a humongous set of testicles just waiting to pop out. Let 'em pop bro. //////////////////// AKA JensOfSweden // Lee Yoon Yeol forever.
Captain Mayhem
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Sweden774 Posts
November 20 2009 16:28 GMT
#11
On November 21 2009 01:19 amoxicilline wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 21 2009 01:17 Amber[LighT] wrote:
I got the regular flu vaccine since it's more dangerous and the shot was free from my job.

Swine Flu doesn't scare me.


That's incorrect. Swine flu is more dangerous for people of our age (15-35 ?) , without chronic disease. It's the opposite for older sick people.

So, why haven't I read anything in the news about people below the age of 40 who died from it? You'd think that the journalists would be more than happy to post that, since all they've got over here are a handful of people above 40, who all had asthma, cancer and such conditions beside the swine flu.

Risk patients, who got the vaccine FIRST, were all people with chronic diseases, hospital staff and school children. The 20-35 year old "clean" group will most probably get it last.
Gravity is just a theory anyway.
Amber[LighT]
Profile Blog Joined June 2005
United States5078 Posts
November 20 2009 16:30 GMT
#12
On November 21 2009 01:19 amoxicilline wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 21 2009 01:17 Amber[LighT] wrote:
I got the regular flu vaccine since it's more dangerous and the shot was free from my job.

Swine Flu doesn't scare me.


That's incorrect. Swine flu is more dangerous for people of our age (15-35 ?) , without chronic disease. It's the opposite for older sick people.


Amount of time's I've caught H1N1 in the past year: 0
Amount of time's I've caught a strain of seasonal flu in the past year: 2

Danger =/= Deadly
"We have unfinished business, I and he."
OreoBoi
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
Canada1639 Posts
November 20 2009 16:33 GMT
#13
On November 21 2009 01:28 Captain Mayhem wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 21 2009 01:19 amoxicilline wrote:
On November 21 2009 01:17 Amber[LighT] wrote:
I got the regular flu vaccine since it's more dangerous and the shot was free from my job.

Swine Flu doesn't scare me.


That's incorrect. Swine flu is more dangerous for people of our age (15-35 ?) , without chronic disease. It's the opposite for older sick people.

So, why haven't I read anything in the news about people below the age of 40 who died from it? You'd think that the journalists would be more than happy to post that, since all they've got over here are a handful of people above 40, who all had asthma, cancer and such conditions beside the swine flu.

Risk patients, who got the vaccine FIRST, were all people with chronic diseases, hospital staff and school children. The 20-35 year old "clean" group will most probably get it last.


Actually, in Canada, most of the deaths from H1N1 have been below the age of 40 some with asthma and some without.
Boblion
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
France8043 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-11-20 16:37:16
November 20 2009 16:36 GMT
#14
On November 21 2009 01:28 Captain Mayhem wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 21 2009 01:19 amoxicilline wrote:
On November 21 2009 01:17 Amber[LighT] wrote:
I got the regular flu vaccine since it's more dangerous and the shot was free from my job.

Swine Flu doesn't scare me.


That's incorrect. Swine flu is more dangerous for people of our age (15-35 ?) , without chronic disease. It's the opposite for older sick people.

So, why haven't I read anything in the news about people below the age of 40 who died from it? You'd think that the journalists would be more than happy to post that, since all they've got over here are a handful of people above 40, who all had asthma, cancer and such conditions beside the swine flu.

Risk patients, who got the vaccine FIRST, were all people with chronic diseases, hospital staff and school children. The 20-35 year old "clean" group will most probably get it last.

There are some people of the 20-35 year old group ( without chronic diseases ) who died because of ARDS or Cytokine storms.
fuck all those elitists brb watching streams of elite players.
Southlight
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
United States11768 Posts
November 20 2009 16:42 GMT
#15
One guy I know got the vaccine, then got H1N1 anyways.

GG.
oraoraoraoraoraoraoraora
Iplaythings
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Denmark9110 Posts
November 20 2009 16:44 GMT
#16
On November 21 2009 01:16 amoxicilline wrote:
I don't think you're qualified to advise people about having or not the vaccine, doctors are.
It has side effects , like every vaccine , like any medication. ( personnaly my shoulder hurt a bit for about 24 hours).

The H1N1 can be dangerous (death) for everybody, even young people with no chronic disease.
(older people are kind of immune because they were in contact with the virus years ago).
It has already killed people. I don't think there is a case of someone whose life was in danger because of the vaccine.

So if I can advise people, do the vaccine.


I am qualified to say my opinion and tell other people what they're going into. And I didnt include the danger for children because of the reason so few children are on tl.net
And I never said that your life was in danger? I said it had side effects which is really annoying, geez man, you sound like I try to scare people off the vaccine, I just told people that it what happend to me (and the doctor said I would get this).
In the woods, there lurks..
DBunny
Profile Joined October 2007
Canada192 Posts
November 20 2009 16:45 GMT
#17
I got it 2 days ago - went in to see the doctor for something unrelated and he told me I might as well get it since I was there. Regular flu vaccine went in one arm, H1N1 vaccine went in the other. The next day I had a mild pain in both arms, similar to if I was lifting weights the day before. 2 days later, the arm with the H1N1 vaccine is still sore (hurts to sleep on that side) but no other side effects.
LuMiX
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
China5758 Posts
November 20 2009 16:48 GMT
#18
It should be more important for people who are in certain environments during the day, such as health care professionals that work in hospitals for example. They are at increased risk of getting the H1N1. I just finished my rotations for my semester so I didn't receive it, nor do I think I will get it. But that is just personal preference!
Iplaythings
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Denmark9110 Posts
November 20 2009 16:48 GMT
#19
On November 21 2009 01:45 DBunny wrote:
I got it 2 days ago - went in to see the doctor for something unrelated and he told me I might as well get it since I was there. Regular flu vaccine went in one arm, H1N1 vaccine went in the other. The next day I had a mild pain in both arms, similar to if I was lifting weights the day before. 2 days later, the arm with the H1N1 vaccine is still sore (hurts to sleep on that side) but no other side effects.

Meh, lucky bastard.
In the woods, there lurks..
Captain Mayhem
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Sweden774 Posts
November 20 2009 16:49 GMT
#20
On November 21 2009 01:33 OreoBoi wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 21 2009 01:28 Captain Mayhem wrote:
On November 21 2009 01:19 amoxicilline wrote:
On November 21 2009 01:17 Amber[LighT] wrote:
I got the regular flu vaccine since it's more dangerous and the shot was free from my job.

Swine Flu doesn't scare me.


That's incorrect. Swine flu is more dangerous for people of our age (15-35 ?) , without chronic disease. It's the opposite for older sick people.

So, why haven't I read anything in the news about people below the age of 40 who died from it? You'd think that the journalists would be more than happy to post that, since all they've got over here are a handful of people above 40, who all had asthma, cancer and such conditions beside the swine flu.

Risk patients, who got the vaccine FIRST, were all people with chronic diseases, hospital staff and school children. The 20-35 year old "clean" group will most probably get it last.


Actually, in Canada, most of the deaths from H1N1 have been below the age of 40 some with asthma and some without.

Could you post a source of that? Because, as I said earlier, this flu is actually MILDER than the regular one. I've got that confirmed from more than one doctor so far, so your results would be rather strange.

Fun thing, if you've got time left over
THE FOLLOWING MESSAGE IS FOR EVERYBODY!
Find a reliable source, ask your local doctor, or anything of the sorts. Check how many have been infected by the virus so far, and compare to how many have died from it. Worldwide.
Now do the same with the regular flu.

The ONLY reason it's so scary is because it's a brand new strain, and that we don't have any resistance to it yet. NOT because it's especially deadly.
Gravity is just a theory anyway.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Patches Events
00:00
Patch Clash S1 Special #1
RotterdaM937
TKL 344
IndyStarCraft 276
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 937
ByuN 436
TKL 344
IndyStarCraft 276
Reynor 178
BRAT_OK 48
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 50396
Calm 2676
Shuttle 434
actioN 169
firebathero 115
Mini 102
White-Ra 49
Mong 44
soO 20
scan(afreeca) 19
[ Show more ]
Aegong 14
Sacsri 7
Dota 2
Gorgc10965
Counter-Strike
fl0m6294
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby2687
Liquid`Hasu392
MindelVK12
Other Games
Liquid`RaSZi2072
FrodaN1380
B2W.Neo693
olofmeister521
Khaldor516
KnowMe308
crisheroes182
Livibee177
ToD129
Mew2King78
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick381
BasetradeTV209
[ Show 19 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hinosc 31
• Adnapsc2 10
• Reevou 6
• niya90s 1
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Airneanach81
• Azhi_Dahaki24
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV504
Counter-Strike
• C_a_k_e 1691
Other Games
• imaqtpie833
• Shiphtur630
• tFFMrPink 10
Upcoming Events
BSL Open Qualifier
56m
BSL Open Qualifier
56m
OSC
4h 56m
Replay Cast
4h 56m
OSC
17h 56m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 16h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Online Event
4 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.