• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 03:37
CEST 09:37
KST 16:37
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9000 users

TL Chess Match 4 - Page 122

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 120 121 122 123 124 140 Next
Ng5
Profile Joined December 2009
702 Posts
November 21 2011 16:54 GMT
#2421
I was thinking about possibilities on how to do it on a forum. I want to do it casual without time limit, because first of all it's casual and more people could join and second of all it's closer to the original idea of a simultaneous event where one dude walks around without any clocks.

Of course we should somehow figure out how to tell people that the dude is at their table for it to make sense. Depending on the number of people one way could be saying - okay you have t amount of minutes after I make my move plus you can ask for 3 timeouts when you won't need to move in that round should you need more time to analyze.

I don't know. I kind of feel bad because this came up to me too late, it would be more fun with more advertising and more people could or possibly would join.
qrs
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States3637 Posts
November 21 2011 17:07 GMT
#2422
On November 22 2011 01:54 Ng5 wrote:
I was thinking about possibilities on how to do it on a forum. I want to do it casual without time limit, because first of all it's casual and more people could join and second of all it's closer to the original idea of a simultaneous event where one dude walks around without any clocks.

Of course we should somehow figure out how to tell people that the dude is at their table for it to make sense. Depending on the number of people one way could be saying - okay you have t amount of minutes after I make my move plus you can ask for 3 timeouts when you won't need to move in that round should you need more time to analyze.

I don't know. I kind of feel bad because this came up to me too late, it would be more fun with more advertising and more people could or possibly would join.
I'm not sure what you have in mind here: first you agree that you want to do it "without time limit" but then you talk about "t amount of minutes".

What I had in mind was pretty simple: you simply start as many games as you feel you're up to playing at once/you have takers for. Each game has its own thread, and a move happens whenever someone makes one. You know to check back for a move when you see that one of your opponents has made a new post in that game's thread, and, likewise, he knows that you've made a move when he sees your post in the thread. If there's no time limit, nobody has to worry about when "the dude is at their table".
'As per the American Heart Association, the beat of the Bee Gees song "Stayin' Alive" provides an ideal rhythm in terms of beats per minute to use for hands-only CPR. One can also hum Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust".' —Wikipedia
liberal
Profile Joined November 2011
1116 Posts
November 21 2011 17:16 GMT
#2423
I don't know if they would allow individual threads for games between two people. It would probably have to be in one thread.
qrs
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States3637 Posts
November 21 2011 17:19 GMT
#2424
On November 22 2011 02:16 liberal wrote:
I don't know if they would allow individual threads for games between two people.
That's what the blogs forum is for.
'As per the American Heart Association, the beat of the Bee Gees song "Stayin' Alive" provides an ideal rhythm in terms of beats per minute to use for hands-only CPR. One can also hum Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust".' —Wikipedia
Ng5
Profile Joined December 2009
702 Posts
November 21 2011 18:01 GMT
#2425
What I meant is even if there's no time limit per se in real life you have to move when the simul giver gets to your table.

No there's no real chance to simulate that. So in theory there's no limit, but in practice there is and we have to simulate that somehow, even if by not a constantly running clock.

Imposing no time limit whatsoever might make it very tedious. I'm just thinking of possibilities that's all.
Ng5
Profile Joined December 2009
702 Posts
November 21 2011 19:42 GMT
#2426
qrs wrote:
Show nested quote +
liberal wrote:
I don't know if they would allow individual threads for games between two people.
That's what the blogs forum is for.


I think they would make an exception for a bigger event and just close them down right when it's over and we could just link to the different games after it's all done.

I wonder if there's enough time till Saturday to get people or should I just push it out to a later time.

I might just give another longer streaming session with 8-12 hours this time or I don't know.

We could make the simultan be 960 random as well to spice it up.
qrs
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States3637 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-22 14:42:03
November 22 2011 14:40 GMT
#2427
For whatever reason, interest in this game seems to have entirely dried up. I'm still plugging away at analyzing, but I seem to be the only one left. Even if I were a better chess player than I am, "two are [qualitatively] better than one", as the Collector says, because each can correct the other's mistakes, or point out the things he's missed.

Howsobeit, if anyone is interested in analyzing this game--and in particular if you like endgames--check out this position, please. It's an endgame that we might be heading into. It doesn't look quite as favorable for us as I'd have hoped, but at least we still have our extra pawns, for the moment. We may not have a good way to avoid it, so it's quite important to have an idea of what our chances are in this endgame.
'As per the American Heart Association, the beat of the Bee Gees song "Stayin' Alive" provides an ideal rhythm in terms of beats per minute to use for hands-only CPR. One can also hum Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust".' —Wikipedia
GenesisX
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Canada4267 Posts
November 22 2011 22:15 GMT
#2428
On November 22 2011 23:40 qrs wrote:
For whatever reason, interest in this game seems to have entirely dried up. I'm still plugging away at analyzing, but I seem to be the only one left. Even if I were a better chess player than I am, "two are [qualitatively] better than one", as the Collector says, because each can correct the other's mistakes, or point out the things he's missed.

Howsobeit, if anyone is interested in analyzing this game--and in particular if you like endgames--check out this position, please. It's an endgame that we might be heading into. It doesn't look quite as favorable for us as I'd have hoped, but at least we still have our extra pawns, for the moment. We may not have a good way to avoid it, so it's quite important to have an idea of what our chances are in this endgame.


I'd like to start :o. Is there any chess program out there that I can use to create my own board positions? Right now I'm stuck just writing on paper or staring at the pictures given to me x-x
133 221 333 123 111
GenesisX
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Canada4267 Posts
November 22 2011 22:18 GMT
#2429
On November 22 2011 01:54 Ng5 wrote:
I was thinking about possibilities on how to do it on a forum. I want to do it casual without time limit, because first of all it's casual and more people could join and second of all it's closer to the original idea of a simultaneous event where one dude walks around without any clocks.

Of course we should somehow figure out how to tell people that the dude is at their table for it to make sense. Depending on the number of people one way could be saying - okay you have t amount of minutes after I make my move plus you can ask for 3 timeouts when you won't need to move in that round should you need more time to analyze.

I don't know. I kind of feel bad because this came up to me too late, it would be more fun with more advertising and more people could or possibly would join.


Can you make two threads playing the same game, each playing a different color? (Eg, one thread plays black, one plays white). Discussion for moves goes in their respective forums. Divvying up the teams would be a problem though...
133 221 333 123 111
qrs
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States3637 Posts
November 22 2011 23:43 GMT
#2430
On November 23 2011 07:15 GenesisX wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 22 2011 23:40 qrs wrote:
For whatever reason, interest in this game seems to have entirely dried up. I'm still plugging away at analyzing, but I seem to be the only one left. Even if I were a better chess player than I am, "two are [qualitatively] better than one", as the Collector says, because each can correct the other's mistakes, or point out the things he's missed.

Howsobeit, if anyone is interested in analyzing this game--and in particular if you like endgames--check out this position, please. It's an endgame that we might be heading into. It doesn't look quite as favorable for us as I'd have hoped, but at least we still have our extra pawns, for the moment. We may not have a good way to avoid it, so it's quite important to have an idea of what our chances are in this endgame.


I'd like to start :o. Is there any chess program out there that I can use to create my own board positions? Right now I'm stuck just writing on paper or staring at the pictures given to me x-x
If you click on the link I gave, the first post gives the position as a link labeled "Position in PGN viewer". If you click on that link, it takes you to the position in an online PGN viewer/editor, which is basically what you're looking for.

Here's a different endgame that the game could reach, although if it's as good for us as it seems at first glance, Ng5 will probably steer clear of it.
'As per the American Heart Association, the beat of the Bee Gees song "Stayin' Alive" provides an ideal rhythm in terms of beats per minute to use for hands-only CPR. One can also hum Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust".' —Wikipedia
Ng5
Profile Joined December 2009
702 Posts
November 23 2011 00:59 GMT
#2431
I will clean up everything and make my move tomorrow.

I still need to go over something, but I got an unforeseen extra assignment for tomorrow morning.
GenesisX
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Canada4267 Posts
November 23 2011 02:23 GMT
#2432
On November 23 2011 08:43 qrs wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 23 2011 07:15 GenesisX wrote:
On November 22 2011 23:40 qrs wrote:
For whatever reason, interest in this game seems to have entirely dried up. I'm still plugging away at analyzing, but I seem to be the only one left. Even if I were a better chess player than I am, "two are [qualitatively] better than one", as the Collector says, because each can correct the other's mistakes, or point out the things he's missed.

Howsobeit, if anyone is interested in analyzing this game--and in particular if you like endgames--check out this position, please. It's an endgame that we might be heading into. It doesn't look quite as favorable for us as I'd have hoped, but at least we still have our extra pawns, for the moment. We may not have a good way to avoid it, so it's quite important to have an idea of what our chances are in this endgame.


I'd like to start :o. Is there any chess program out there that I can use to create my own board positions? Right now I'm stuck just writing on paper or staring at the pictures given to me x-x
If you click on the link I gave, the first post gives the position as a link labeled "Position in PGN viewer". If you click on that link, it takes you to the position in an online PGN viewer/editor, which is basically what you're looking for.

Here's a different endgame that the game could reach, although if it's as good for us as it seems at first glance, Ng5 will probably steer clear of it.


Oh its actually not as hard to use as I thought :o
Sweet :p
+ Show Spoiler +
testing
133 221 333 123 111
qrs
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States3637 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-23 02:50:22
November 23 2011 02:49 GMT
#2433
On November 23 2011 08:43 qrs wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 23 2011 07:15 GenesisX wrote:
On November 22 2011 23:40 qrs wrote:
For whatever reason, interest in this game seems to have entirely dried up. I'm still plugging away at analyzing, but I seem to be the only one left. Even if I were a better chess player than I am, "two are [qualitatively] better than one", as the Collector says, because each can correct the other's mistakes, or point out the things he's missed.

Howsobeit, if anyone is interested in analyzing this game--and in particular if you like endgames--check out this position, please. It's an endgame that we might be heading into. It doesn't look quite as favorable for us as I'd have hoped, but at least we still have our extra pawns, for the moment. We may not have a good way to avoid it, so it's quite important to have an idea of what our chances are in this endgame.


I'd like to start :o. Is there any chess program out there that I can use to create my own board positions? Right now I'm stuck just writing on paper or staring at the pictures given to me x-x
If you click on the link I gave, the first post gives the position as a link labeled "Position in PGN viewer". If you click on that link, it takes you to the position in an online PGN viewer/editor, which is basically what you're looking for.

Here's a different endgame that the game could reach, although if it's as good for us as it seems at first glance, Ng5 will probably steer clear of it.
By the way, you can just ignore the second endgame, everyone. I did a bit more analysis, and I'm fairly sure that Ng5 has better options.

The first endgame that I linked remains a critical position, in my opinion.
'As per the American Heart Association, the beat of the Bee Gees song "Stayin' Alive" provides an ideal rhythm in terms of beats per minute to use for hands-only CPR. One can also hum Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust".' —Wikipedia
GenesisX
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Canada4267 Posts
November 23 2011 04:44 GMT
#2434
On November 23 2011 11:49 qrs wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 23 2011 08:43 qrs wrote:
On November 23 2011 07:15 GenesisX wrote:
On November 22 2011 23:40 qrs wrote:
For whatever reason, interest in this game seems to have entirely dried up. I'm still plugging away at analyzing, but I seem to be the only one left. Even if I were a better chess player than I am, "two are [qualitatively] better than one", as the Collector says, because each can correct the other's mistakes, or point out the things he's missed.

Howsobeit, if anyone is interested in analyzing this game--and in particular if you like endgames--check out this position, please. It's an endgame that we might be heading into. It doesn't look quite as favorable for us as I'd have hoped, but at least we still have our extra pawns, for the moment. We may not have a good way to avoid it, so it's quite important to have an idea of what our chances are in this endgame.


I'd like to start :o. Is there any chess program out there that I can use to create my own board positions? Right now I'm stuck just writing on paper or staring at the pictures given to me x-x
If you click on the link I gave, the first post gives the position as a link labeled "Position in PGN viewer". If you click on that link, it takes you to the position in an online PGN viewer/editor, which is basically what you're looking for.

Here's a different endgame that the game could reach, although if it's as good for us as it seems at first glance, Ng5 will probably steer clear of it.
By the way, you can just ignore the second endgame, everyone. I did a bit more analysis, and I'm fairly sure that Ng5 has better options.

The first endgame that I linked remains a critical position, in my opinion.


Thats a good position to be in :o 2 pawn advantage and NB v BB
133 221 333 123 111
EnderSword
Profile Joined September 2010
Canada669 Posts
November 23 2011 05:33 GMT
#2435
I think I like the Rc1

It's a little more active, doesn't require him to really consent to trading off as much
Bronze/Silver/Gold level Guides - www.youtube.com/user/EnderSword
loginn
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
France815 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-25 19:44:04
November 23 2011 23:27 GMT
#2436
In my opinion the best move is Bxc7

Gives you a free pawn while not giving the defence away.

EDIT : I missed something on the board. And typo
Stephano, Taking skill to the bank since IPL3. Also Lucifron and FBH
Ng5
Profile Joined December 2009
702 Posts
November 24 2011 02:25 GMT
#2437
Hm. According to my counting Nd2 was winning even without Bill...

Anyway let me clear up things. Sadly I will delete people from the active list who haven't made a single move for the past three-four turns.

Gonna post the move soon.
Ng5
Profile Joined December 2009
702 Posts
November 24 2011 02:37 GMT
#2438
Move made.

Round 24 starts right here and now.
Ng5
Profile Joined December 2009
702 Posts
November 24 2011 02:45 GMT
#2439
I'll give you a little spoiler of my thoughts. I'll spoiler it so you can avoid it if you'd prefer to.

+ Show Spoiler +

You guys sound so concerned about losing a tempo with Nd2, but that's what has been happening. Bf4-Re3 and the knight moving back and forth between f3 and d2. When in the end the rook got exchanged and if you decide to take back with bishop it will still end up on e3.
At the same time black's light squared bishop ended up on the best possible diagonal for now, the dark one is blocking your only occupied open file, and the two rooks miraculously ended up on the same open diagonal - where one will stay even after the exchange.
I don't think Nd2 was the largest concern here in sense of losing time...
Black hasn't made a single pawn move since a5, just advanced the heavier pieces to good squares.
Can you tell that white's pieces are at their proper place could be one very important and sensible question here.
chesshaha
Profile Joined March 2010
United States1117 Posts
November 24 2011 03:28 GMT
#2440
On November 24 2011 11:45 Ng5 wrote:
I'll give you a little spoiler of my thoughts. I'll spoiler it so you can avoid it if you'd prefer to.

+ Show Spoiler +

You guys sound so concerned about losing a tempo with Nd2, but that's what has been happening. Bf4-Re3 and the knight moving back and forth between f3 and d2. When in the end the rook got exchanged and if you decide to take back with bishop it will still end up on e3.
At the same time black's light squared bishop ended up on the best possible diagonal for now, the dark one is blocking your only occupied open file, and the two rooks miraculously ended up on the same open diagonal - where one will stay even after the exchange.
I don't think Nd2 was the largest concern here in sense of losing time...
Black hasn't made a single pawn move since a5, just advanced the heavier pieces to good squares.
Can you tell that white's pieces are at their proper place could be one very important and sensible question here.


I thought Bxc7 was a good move, idk, I guess it doesn't matter now. I was busy with MLG weekend.

So for the next move. + Show Spoiler +
I think fxe is better than Bxe3, but I still need to think it over.
"Hopefully you're not the real TLO so it's not casted" - SpecialK
Prev 1 120 121 122 123 124 140 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 23m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
actioN 381
Hyuk 283
910 100
Bale 30
NotJumperer 30
ZergMaN 26
yabsab 16
Dewaltoss 3
League of Legends
JimRising 583
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King150
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor422
crisheroes277
Other Games
ceh9455
WinterStarcraft398
Happy345
PiGStarcraft225
Sick220
Livibee171
singsing114
olofmeister71
ArmadaUGS51
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick695
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream276
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• LUISG 16
• Berry_CruncH3
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2377
League of Legends
• Stunt513
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
3h 23m
Stellar Fest
5h 23m
The PondCast
1d 2h
OSC
1d 5h
Stellar Fest
1d 5h
OSC
1d 16h
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
[ Show More ]
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.