• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:01
CEST 14:01
KST 21:01
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9039 users

TL Chess Match 4 - Page 123

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 121 122 123 124 125 140 Next
qrs
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States3637 Posts
November 24 2011 04:00 GMT
#2441
On November 24 2011 12:28 chesshaha wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 24 2011 11:45 Ng5 wrote:
I'll give you a little spoiler of my thoughts. I'll spoiler it so you can avoid it if you'd prefer to.

+ Show Spoiler +

You guys sound so concerned about losing a tempo with Nd2, but that's what has been happening. Bf4-Re3 and the knight moving back and forth between f3 and d2. When in the end the rook got exchanged and if you decide to take back with bishop it will still end up on e3.
At the same time black's light squared bishop ended up on the best possible diagonal for now, the dark one is blocking your only occupied open file, and the two rooks miraculously ended up on the same open diagonal - where one will stay even after the exchange.
I don't think Nd2 was the largest concern here in sense of losing time...
Black hasn't made a single pawn move since a5, just advanced the heavier pieces to good squares.
Can you tell that white's pieces are at their proper place could be one very important and sensible question here.


I thought Bxc7 was a good move, idk, I guess it doesn't matter now. I was busy with MLG weekend.

So for the next move. + Show Spoiler +
I think fxe is better than Bxe3, but I still need to think it over.
I thought it was all right, but I hoped Nd2 was better. Pretty much everyone besides me had stopped analyzing by then, and I missed something until it was too late. fxe3 was the plan here, but now I don't know anymore.

Here's how I see it continuing:
+ Show Spoiler +
24. fxe3 Rb2 25. e4 dxe4 26. Nxe4 Bb7 (the move I missed until too late) 27. Nd2 Bd6 28. Be3 Bd5
and I can't come up with anything really good for us here. Maybe we should play Bxe3 after all...
'As per the American Heart Association, the beat of the Bee Gees song "Stayin' Alive" provides an ideal rhythm in terms of beats per minute to use for hands-only CPR. One can also hum Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust".' —Wikipedia
EnderSword
Profile Joined September 2010
Canada669 Posts
November 24 2011 05:24 GMT
#2442
I'm saying just Bxe3

+ Show Spoiler +
Why move a pawn blocking a key diagonal unless we have to? Also splits our strongest wall of pawns
Bronze/Silver/Gold level Guides - www.youtube.com/user/EnderSword
GenesisX
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Canada4267 Posts
November 24 2011 05:47 GMT
#2443
Between fxe3 and Bxe3, I would choose fxe3 just because we already developed our bishop like that to attack the pawn on c7.
+ Show Spoiler +
Also, is Rc1 worth looking into at all? If he moves Rc8, Rb7, or Bd8, we can outright kill his rook. He can't do Rc3 because thats just suicide. Re1 also = dead rook. Unless I'm missing something, we can get away with material gain?
133 221 333 123 111
Bill Murray
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States9292 Posts
November 24 2011 05:51 GMT
#2444
fxe3
University of Kentucky Basketball #1
qrs
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States3637 Posts
November 24 2011 07:35 GMT
#2445
On November 24 2011 14:47 GenesisX wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
Also, is Rc1 worth looking into at all? If he moves Rc8, Rb7, or Bd8, we can outright kill his rook. He can't do Rc3 because thats just suicide. Re1 also = dead rook. Unless I'm missing something, we can get away with material gain?
Huh? You mean this move? + Show Spoiler +
24. Rc1? No, it's not worth looking at. Black won't defend the pawn--he'll save his Rook instead. A Rook is better than a pawn.
'As per the American Heart Association, the beat of the Bee Gees song "Stayin' Alive" provides an ideal rhythm in terms of beats per minute to use for hands-only CPR. One can also hum Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust".' —Wikipedia
SausageLinks
Profile Joined December 2010
United States93 Posts
November 24 2011 07:36 GMT
#2446
currently the line that qrs is giving for 24. fxe3... seems pretty accurate. + Show Spoiler +
and if that's the case, it's a line that I don't particularly want to go down. right now, I'm considering Bxe3 since the given arguments seem valid, despite the importance of opening those pawns to give our King some breathing room: back-ranks are still a threat to consider.

i'll hold off my vote for now, but right now it's pointed towards Bxe3. + Show Spoiler +
the move 24. ... Bd3 that qrs has given in his analysis tree seems to put us in a similar bind, but I would much prefer this over the 24. fxe3 line given above. if more analysis would be made to this current line it would probably be easier for me to decide, but since I'm bad at those sorts of things and do little to contribute I should probably just shut my mouth anyway.

anyways, at this point we have to take the Rook. we just have to decide what to take it with. + Show Spoiler +
not Rc1. 24. Rc1 continues with ... Rxa3, then whatever we attack with is followed with ... Rc8 with threats of back-ranking.
n00b never die
Cloud9157
Profile Joined December 2010
United States2968 Posts
November 24 2011 08:29 GMT
#2447
fxe3

Always attack towards the center.
"Are you absolutely sure that armor only affects the health portion of a protoss army??? That doesn't sound right to me. source?" -Some idiot
SheaR619
Profile Joined October 2010
United States2399 Posts
November 24 2011 08:41 GMT
#2448
fxe3

+ Show Spoiler +
Of course he will take this into account and probably respond with Rb7 since if he goes for the a3 pawn then he will lose the exchange. Therefore, by doing fxe3, Ng5 will most likely do Rb7, or another way to defend that c7 pawn but I believe Rb7 is the most logical way to do so. Either way, I prefer this move over BxRe3
I may not be the best, but i will be some day...
EnderSword
Profile Joined September 2010
Canada669 Posts
November 24 2011 17:36 GMT
#2449
+ Show Spoiler +
I'm really just thinking Bxe3 is stronger. While 'Attack towards center' is in general a good idea...He occupies the center while we don't and our strength is on the far left and far right where we've got strong pawns. If he's left with just bishops it's going to be hard for him to be defending side to side as we begin pushing pawns. Also just running the position through CM10 for 12 trial runs, not once does it decide on anything buy the Bxe3 followed by ...Rb5 eventually trading rooks and getting our passed pawn up to a6.
Bronze/Silver/Gold level Guides - www.youtube.com/user/EnderSword
qrs
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States3637 Posts
November 24 2011 17:57 GMT
#2450
On November 25 2011 02:36 EnderSword wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
I'm really just thinking Bxe3 is stronger. While 'Attack towards center' is in general a good idea...He occupies the center while we don't and our strength is on the far left and far right where we've got strong pawns. If he's left with just bishops it's going to be hard for him to be defending side to side as we begin pushing pawns. Also just running the position through CM10 for 12 trial runs, not once does it decide on anything buy the Bxe3 followed by ...Rb5 eventually trading rooks and getting our passed pawn up to a6.
Please, don't start bringing chess engines into it.
'As per the American Heart Association, the beat of the Bee Gees song "Stayin' Alive" provides an ideal rhythm in terms of beats per minute to use for hands-only CPR. One can also hum Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust".' —Wikipedia
EnderSword
Profile Joined September 2010
Canada669 Posts
November 24 2011 18:18 GMT
#2451
On November 25 2011 02:57 qrs wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 25 2011 02:36 EnderSword wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
I'm really just thinking Bxe3 is stronger. While 'Attack towards center' is in general a good idea...He occupies the center while we don't and our strength is on the far left and far right where we've got strong pawns. If he's left with just bishops it's going to be hard for him to be defending side to side as we begin pushing pawns. Also just running the position through CM10 for 12 trial runs, not once does it decide on anything buy the Bxe3 followed by ...Rb5 eventually trading rooks and getting our passed pawn up to a6.
Please, don't start bringing chess engines into it.


+ Show Spoiler +
Ya, sorry, don't mean to base my decision on it. Just felt it was worth more looking into that line. I guess it was only a few comments but I almost had the feeling this time people were just saying 'Well, Intuitively this seems fine based on a general rule' and didn't want fxe3 to just walk away with it without much consideration
Bronze/Silver/Gold level Guides - www.youtube.com/user/EnderSword
MrProphylactic
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
296 Posts
November 24 2011 19:29 GMT
#2452
On November 21 2011 18:22 Ng5 wrote:
Btw was it MrPro again? I was wondering when he'd turn up with a third wind and the name suits him. I wanted to read up on his posts, but I just can't bring myself to actually read them.



No it wasn't me , while I have followed this game with mild interest, I am not THAT much of an asshole to repeatedly troll your game ( despite what you might feel about me.)
"The Beauty of a move is not in its appearance, but the thought behind it" Nimzovitch
MrProphylactic
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
296 Posts
November 24 2011 19:37 GMT
#2453
On another note, for what it i worth I apologize for my part in creating a distraction from the purpose of this social experiment . As a chess lover I do respect and appreciate what you are doing here NG5 . But it seems some here still lack the objectivity to see their part in what happened ; anyway I will disapear back into the ether once again while viewing this experiment from the sidelines .
"The Beauty of a move is not in its appearance, but the thought behind it" Nimzovitch
MaV_gGSC
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Canada1345 Posts
November 24 2011 19:40 GMT
#2454
Hopefully the chess club I'm trying to start at school will be approved. Chess is amazing :D
Life's good :D
Raysalis
Profile Joined July 2010
Malaysia1034 Posts
November 24 2011 23:10 GMT
#2455
Bxe3
:)
Ng5
Profile Joined December 2009
702 Posts
November 25 2011 00:05 GMT
#2456
MaverickSC wrote:
Hopefully the chess club I'm trying to start at school will be approved. Chess is amazing :D


Which city? I almost went to Calgary to study.

And I'm trying to get some coaching done in our own chess club. They've been trying to convince me to stay for the Winter and play with them for pan-ams or whatever it's called. Maybe next year. I hear there's some good players on top board so it should be fun.
Ng5
Profile Joined December 2009
702 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-25 00:20:23
November 25 2011 00:11 GMT
#2457
MrProphylactic wrote:
On another note, for what it i worth I apologize for my part in creating a distraction from the purpose of this social experiment . As a chess lover I do respect and appreciate what you are doing here NG5 . But it seems some here still lack the objectivity to see their part in what happened ; anyway I will disapear back into the ether once again while viewing this experiment from the sidelines .


That's not an apology, and one is not needed. For once you could try to think of me as a different person as you are and read what I actually write.

I don't want apologies or crap. It's not needed between friends, they can just come back after an argument and be natural like friends are supposed to be. (Which is hard to imagine in some cultures...)

And as much as I think humankind is retarded and I wouldn't want anyone to think I am similar to you - every chess player is my friend. As hard it is to believe for once.

Just as ever LoL or WoW player, or anyone I meet. It doesn't need to mean I like them. Or that I want to group with them.

Anyway. It's been a while I replied to stuff in this thread actively so let me see what's up on the last two pages.
Ng5
Profile Joined December 2009
702 Posts
November 25 2011 00:20 GMT
#2458
Bxc7 was a reasonable possibility, but I feel there's a lot of inaccuracies here. I will try to explain.

Basically endgames are far easier or far harder than how I see you thinking about it.

The easy part is - you have to make decisions. Whether you want to win or draw.

The hard part is - realize the nuances in the position that tells the two from each other.

Bxc7 in my opinion could not be as 'tryhard' as one should want it to be if it's about winning. Rc1 also had a small problem to it and we'll see how Nd2 will end up now.

The problem is not that. The problem I see is not the particular lines. I'm pretty sure that you see a lot of good moves, and good lines. The problem I think is - you don't take five steps back to look at the picture from a distance.

You try to build from the branches and not from the roots.

It's endgame, and this is so even in middle game, and as such stems from the opening. You look at the position and answer - yes I want to win. And then you look at the position and answer - what combination of pieces do give me chances to win? What can and what can't I exchange. Is the current composition of material/pieces winning for me? If there's an exchange what does it change in total. Would it be better for me if I had one or two less rooks in general? Is the answer the same in both cases? Would I want to exchange the knight for the bishop? Etc.

There's a lot of particular exceptions when you lay these down. Exact lines that can make opposite coloured bishops still not a draw, or the side with three pawns up still losing, etc. I had lines where I would sac an exchange and three or four pawns and still win in a queenless position.

But in my opinion you are skipping these very important first step. Because once you answer those questions you could always have something to try and fall back on if you are out of ammunition. Some logic that you could try putting holes in or empower reasons for.

Just a few thoughts, I hope it does help you guys having a different perspective on some things. I can't be a lot more particular for the sake of the game, but I felt like telling you.
Ng5
Profile Joined December 2009
702 Posts
November 25 2011 00:22 GMT
#2459
And I <3 u all.
GenesisX
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Canada4267 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-25 00:23:47
November 25 2011 00:22 GMT
#2460
On November 24 2011 16:35 qrs wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 24 2011 14:47 GenesisX wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
Also, is Rc1 worth looking into at all? If he moves Rc8, Rb7, or Bd8, we can outright kill his rook. He can't do Rc3 because thats just suicide. Re1 also = dead rook. Unless I'm missing something, we can get away with material gain?
Huh? You mean this move? + Show Spoiler +
24. Rc1? No, it's not worth looking at. Black won't defend the pawn--he'll save his Rook instead. A Rook is better than a pawn.


+ Show Spoiler +
Oh, never mind. I was thinking 25. Rxc7 ... 26. Ra7 but I realized he can defend every piece and still get away with another pawn kill. ;_;


24. fxe3
133 221 333 123 111
Prev 1 121 122 123 124 125 140 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Kung Fu Cup
11:00
2026 Week 25
WardiTV397
Rex75
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko370
ProTech130
Rex 75
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 32902
Hyuk 1200
Jaedong 928
actioN 572
Soma 466
Horang2 385
Soulkey 338
BeSt 320
Larva 296
Mini 268
[ Show more ]
EffOrt 259
Light 218
910 214
Stork 209
Last 176
Snow 144
Rush 138
ggaemo 103
Pusan 91
ZerO 73
Mind 49
Killer 41
Mong 38
Creator 35
Shinee 33
hero 29
Bale 27
Sharp 26
sorry 26
Free 25
yabsab 16
HiyA 12
Noble 12
Sacsri 9
Terrorterran 1
Dota 2
Gorgc7900
Dendi436
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1551
markeloff106
kRYSTAL_54
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes2808
Khaldor1009
Other Games
gofns32021
singsing1621
B2W.Neo319
XBOCT300
DeMusliM276
Pyrionflax263
byalli80
Mew2King66
ArmadaUGS43
ZerO(Twitch)7
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream169
StarCraft: Brood War
UltimateBattle 99
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH325
• StrangeGG 33
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• iopq 8
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos1409
Other Games
• WagamamaTV173
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
59m
The PondCast
21h 59m
OSC
1d
Stellar Fest
1d
OSC
1d 11h
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.