• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 22:47
CEST 04:47
KST 11:47
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
Recent patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Rp8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6520 users

The Automated Ban List - Page 805

Forum Index > TL Community
Post a Reply
Prev 1 803 804 805 806 807 3173 Next
This thread is for discussing recent bans. Don't discuss other topics here.

Take it to website feedback if you disagree with a ban or want to raise an issue.

Keep it civil.

NOTE: For those of you who want to find the actual ABL thread where the bans are posted. Please look in here: https://tl.net/forum/closed-threads/
Tortious_Tortoise
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States944 Posts
February 02 2012 16:17 GMT
#16081
On February 03 2012 01:08 tofucake wrote:
Shouldn't it be it "I cast thee back from whence thy come"?

Also+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]




NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO That's repetitive! BLAARAARARGHARGHRAHRAARARARGH!!! Technically it's not incorrect because a lot of famous authors used it, but whence: from where :: from whence : from from where.

"I cast thee back from whence thy come" --> "I cast thee back from from where thy come."

On a less grammar-nazi-pet-peeve-of-mine note, I think it's still more clear to state that one is casting an adbot to a place, rather than just mentioning the place to which the adbot is being cast. So like, saying "I cast thee back to the place whence you came" makes more sense to me than "I cast thee back whence you came," or "I cast thee back to whence you came."
Treating eSports as a social science since 2011; Credo: "The system is never wrong"-- Day9 Daily #400 Part 3
TheToast
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States4808 Posts
February 02 2012 17:19 GMT
#16082

1 whence adv \ˈhwen(t)s, ˈwen(t)s\

Definition of WHENCE
: from what place, source, or cause <then whence comes this paradox — Changing Times>
— from whence
: from what place, source, or cause <no one could tell me from whence the gold had come — Graham Greene>

Examples of WHENCE
They returned to the land whence they came.


2 whence - conjunction

Definition of WHENCE

1: from what place, source, or cause <inquired whence the water came — Maria Edgeworth>
2a : from or out of which place, source, or cause <the lawless society whence the ballads sprang — DeLancey Ferguson> b : by reason of which fact : wherefore <nothing broke— whence I infer that my bones are not yet chalky — O. W. Holmes †1935>


In this case the usage is clearly as an adverb (modifying the verb "came"), so the correct grammar would be "Go back whence you came".

Old english is tricky business. I think within the modern vernacular, while not grammatically correct, it would be acceptable to say "from whence you came"--using "whence" basically as a slang version of "where".
I like the way the walls go out. Gives you an open feeling. Firefly's a good design. People don't appreciate the substance of things. Objects in space. People miss out on what's solid.
tofucake
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Hyrule19257 Posts
February 02 2012 17:43 GMT
#16083
On February 03 2012 01:17 mbr2321 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 03 2012 01:08 tofucake wrote:
Shouldn't it be it "I cast thee back from whence thy come"?

Also+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]




NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO That's repetitive! BLAARAARARGHARGHRAHRAARARARGH!!! Technically it's not incorrect because a lot of famous authors used it, but whence: from where :: from whence : from from where.

"I cast thee back from whence thy come" --> "I cast thee back from from where thy come."

On a less grammar-nazi-pet-peeve-of-mine note, I think it's still more clear to state that one is casting an adbot to a place, rather than just mentioning the place to which the adbot is being cast. So like, saying "I cast thee back to the place whence you came" makes more sense to me than "I cast thee back whence you came," or "I cast thee back to whence you came."


Usage note
Although sometimes criticized as redundant on the grounds that “from” is implied by the word whence, the idiom from whence is old in the language, well established, and standard. Among its users are the King James Bible, Shakespeare, Dryden, and Dickens: Hilary finally settled in Paris, from whence she bombarded us with letters, postcards, and sketches. From thence, a parallel construction, occurs infrequently.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/whence

So...yeah. It's colloquially correct. And it still makes more sense than, say, "wherefore" does.
Liquipediaasante sana squash banana
Tortious_Tortoise
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States944 Posts
February 02 2012 17:56 GMT
#16084
On February 03 2012 02:43 tofucake wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 03 2012 01:17 mbr2321 wrote:
On February 03 2012 01:08 tofucake wrote:
Shouldn't it be it "I cast thee back from whence thy come"?

Also+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]




NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO That's repetitive! BLAARAARARGHARGHRAHRAARARARGH!!! Technically it's not incorrect because a lot of famous authors used it, but whence: from where :: from whence : from from where.

"I cast thee back from whence thy come" --> "I cast thee back from from where thy come."

On a less grammar-nazi-pet-peeve-of-mine note, I think it's still more clear to state that one is casting an adbot to a place, rather than just mentioning the place to which the adbot is being cast. So like, saying "I cast thee back to the place whence you came" makes more sense to me than "I cast thee back whence you came," or "I cast thee back to whence you came."


Show nested quote +
Usage note
Although sometimes criticized as redundant on the grounds that “from” is implied by the word whence, the idiom from whence is old in the language, well established, and standard. Among its users are the King James Bible, Shakespeare, Dryden, and Dickens: Hilary finally settled in Paris, from whence she bombarded us with letters, postcards, and sketches. From thence, a parallel construction, occurs infrequently.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/whence

So...yeah. It's colloquially correct. And it still makes more sense than, say, "wherefore" does.


I accept that it's colloquially correct, but I assert that that doesn't make it correct in and of itself. I am in the "from whence is redundant" camp, and I will forever assert the same. Additionally, "where are you at?" is colloquially acceptable, but it is definitely redundant--> where = at what place, so where are you at = at what place are you at

I also hate sentences that end in a preposition at about beyond beneath above under over abaff.
Treating eSports as a social science since 2011; Credo: "The system is never wrong"-- Day9 Daily #400 Part 3
liberal
Profile Joined November 2011
1116 Posts
February 02 2012 18:15 GMT
#16085
On February 03 2012 02:56 mbr2321 wrote:
I also hate sentences that end in a preposition at about beyond beneath above under over abaff.

I had a Spanish teacher that forced that stuff out of us, no matter how awkward it sounded.

... pero no quiero = but I do not want to.

In conversational English if you said to someone "I would go but I don't want," they would look at you like you're crazy. I've suspected she might be wrong, and from what I understand it's ok to end some sentences with prepositions but I've never had someone explain it clearly enough for me. I just say whatever sounds most natural.
~OpZ~
Profile Blog Joined May 2005
United States3652 Posts
February 02 2012 18:26 GMT
#16086
On February 02 2012 14:09 TheToast wrote:


~OpZ~ who are you talking about?


http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=32696&currentpage=1124#22461

I was confused...
Maybe I could teach Osama that using a plane as a wraith or dropship would be 10x better than using it as a scourge..... ^^; -Flex
semioldguy
Profile Blog Joined January 2007
United States7488 Posts
February 02 2012 18:30 GMT
#16087
Ah yes, with my English degree I have always been very aware of my preposition usage and make sure that prepositions are not what my sentences end in. So it has always bothered me greatly when a preposition is where someone's sentence ends at.
Moderator
Tortious_Tortoise
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States944 Posts
February 02 2012 18:32 GMT
#16088
On February 03 2012 03:15 liberal wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 03 2012 02:56 mbr2321 wrote:
I also hate sentences that end in a preposition at about beyond beneath above under over abaff.

I had a Spanish teacher that forced that stuff out of us, no matter how awkward it sounded.

... pero no quiero = but I do not want to.

In conversational English if you said to someone "I would go but I don't want," they would look at you like you're crazy. I've suspected she might be wrong, and from what I understand it's ok to end some sentences with prepositions but I've never had someone explain it clearly enough for me. I just say whatever sounds most natural.


I don't know about Spanish, but in English there's an implied "do [x]" after "I don't want to" -- if your Spanish teacher was super picky about that, you could just say "I don't want to do [x]" but I'm pretty sure that [x] is implied in "I don't want to" especially if it's in response to a question such as "Do you want to do [x]?"
Treating eSports as a social science since 2011; Credo: "The system is never wrong"-- Day9 Daily #400 Part 3
semioldguy
Profile Blog Joined January 2007
United States7488 Posts
February 02 2012 18:37 GMT
#16089
On February 03 2012 03:32 mbr2321 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 03 2012 03:15 liberal wrote:
On February 03 2012 02:56 mbr2321 wrote:
I also hate sentences that end in a preposition at about beyond beneath above under over abaff.

I had a Spanish teacher that forced that stuff out of us, no matter how awkward it sounded.

... pero no quiero = but I do not want to.

In conversational English if you said to someone "I would go but I don't want," they would look at you like you're crazy. I've suspected she might be wrong, and from what I understand it's ok to end some sentences with prepositions but I've never had someone explain it clearly enough for me. I just say whatever sounds most natural.


I don't know about Spanish, but in English there's an implied "do [x]" after "I don't want to" -- if your Spanish teacher was super picky about that, you could just say "I don't want to do [x]" but I'm pretty sure that [x] is implied in "I don't want to" especially if it's in response to a question such as "Do you want to do [x]?"

That usage for casual conversation is somewhere the prepositional phrase is implied in. But if you were to be formal or write a paper, you'd need to include that phrase to follow the preposition with.
Moderator
tofucake
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Hyrule19257 Posts
February 02 2012 18:55 GMT
#16090
I try to end all my sentences prepositions with.
Liquipediaasante sana squash banana
Tortious_Tortoise
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States944 Posts
February 02 2012 19:00 GMT
#16091
On February 03 2012 03:37 semioldguy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 03 2012 03:32 mbr2321 wrote:
On February 03 2012 03:15 liberal wrote:
On February 03 2012 02:56 mbr2321 wrote:
I also hate sentences that end in a preposition at about beyond beneath above under over abaff.

I had a Spanish teacher that forced that stuff out of us, no matter how awkward it sounded.

... pero no quiero = but I do not want to.

In conversational English if you said to someone "I would go but I don't want," they would look at you like you're crazy. I've suspected she might be wrong, and from what I understand it's ok to end some sentences with prepositions but I've never had someone explain it clearly enough for me. I just say whatever sounds most natural.


I don't know about Spanish, but in English there's an implied "do [x]" after "I don't want to" -- if your Spanish teacher was super picky about that, you could just say "I don't want to do [x]" but I'm pretty sure that [x] is implied in "I don't want to" especially if it's in response to a question such as "Do you want to do [x]?"

That usage for casual conversation is somewhere the prepositional phrase is implied in. But if you were to be formal or write a paper, you'd need to include that phrase to follow the preposition with.


You are dutifully trying to find stuff to bug me with, but your trieing to hardly. I wish you well luck in the future, when I was mad.
Treating eSports as a social science since 2011; Credo: "The system is never wrong"-- Day9 Daily #400 Part 3
TheToast
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States4808 Posts
February 02 2012 19:20 GMT
#16092
There's a common quip usually attrubutted to Churchill about ending sentences with prepositions. An interesting aside: http://public.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/churchill.html

Anyway back to the bans before Mani comes in here and yells at us to get back on topic. :/
I like the way the walls go out. Gives you an open feeling. Firefly's a good design. People don't appreciate the substance of things. Objects in space. People miss out on what's solid.
iamke55
Profile Blog Joined April 2004
United States2806 Posts
February 02 2012 19:27 GMT
#16093
On February 03 2012 03:15 liberal wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 03 2012 02:56 mbr2321 wrote:
I also hate sentences that end in a preposition at about beyond beneath above under over abaff.

I had a Spanish teacher that forced that stuff out of us, no matter how awkward it sounded.

... pero no quiero = but I do not want to.

In conversational English if you said to someone "I would go but I don't want," they would look at you like you're crazy. I've suspected she might be wrong, and from what I understand it's ok to end some sentences with prepositions but I've never had someone explain it clearly enough for me. I just say whatever sounds most natural.

I think that particular example is more of a split infinitive than a preposition at the end of a sentence. Isn't it?
During practice session, I discovered very good build against zerg. -Bisu[Shield]
marttorn
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Norway5211 Posts
February 02 2012 19:41 GMT
#16094
Kamais Ookin was just temp banned for 2 days by Manifesto7.

That account was created on 2012-01-18 16:07:12 and had 60 posts.

Reason: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewpost.php?post_id=13356928


Uh, wait, this is the kamais right? The perma-banned one? Has he been allowed back? But, when I check the link, it shows this new account as not-temp banned, so was this new ban revoked? I

Uhhhhh my head hurts again.
memes are a dish best served dank
Kamais Ookin
Profile Joined January 2012
Canada591 Posts
February 02 2012 20:03 GMT
#16095
On February 03 2012 04:41 marttorn wrote:
Show nested quote +
Kamais Ookin was just temp banned for 2 days by Manifesto7.

That account was created on 2012-01-18 16:07:12 and had 60 posts.

Reason: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewpost.php?post_id=13356928


Uh, wait, this is the kamais right? The perma-banned one? Has he been allowed back? But, when I check the link, it shows this new account as not-temp banned, so was this new ban revoked? I

Uhhhhh my head hurts again.
Manifesto banned a few people on mistake because he thought we posted in the SFW pictures thread without a picture but we actually posted in the January pictures thread. I'm still waiting to be banned by him though.
MAL Profile: http://myanimelist.net/profile/Kamais_Ookin Twitch account streaming fighting games and PC games, etc twitch.tv/kamais_ookin
semioldguy
Profile Blog Joined January 2007
United States7488 Posts
February 02 2012 20:14 GMT
#16096
On February 03 2012 04:27 iamke55 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 03 2012 03:15 liberal wrote:
On February 03 2012 02:56 mbr2321 wrote:
I also hate sentences that end in a preposition at about beyond beneath above under over abaff.

I had a Spanish teacher that forced that stuff out of us, no matter how awkward it sounded.

... pero no quiero = but I do not want to.

In conversational English if you said to someone "I would go but I don't want," they would look at you like you're crazy. I've suspected she might be wrong, and from what I understand it's ok to end some sentences with prepositions but I've never had someone explain it clearly enough for me. I just say whatever sounds most natural.

I think that particular example is more of a split infinitive than a preposition at the end of a sentence. Isn't it?

It is not a split infinitive. a split infinitive has the infinitive verb, such as 'to post' in the sentence "I am here to post off topic" and then adding an adverb or adverbial phrase between the "to" and the "post" such as: "I am here to irresponsibly post off topic."
Moderator
Kreydon
Profile Joined August 2010
Germany11 Posts
February 02 2012 20:38 GMT
#16097
Hey, this blah_blah appears to be a pretty entertaining fellow.

I miss him already, and I didn't even know him before.
I wish I had some formaldehyde.
Tortious_Tortoise
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States944 Posts
February 02 2012 20:49 GMT
#16098
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=308477

I don't know why, but there were just a lot of shit posts in this topic. I can already tell this is going to be a massive ban trap.
Treating eSports as a social science since 2011; Credo: "The system is never wrong"-- Day9 Daily #400 Part 3
TheToast
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States4808 Posts
February 03 2012 01:04 GMT
#16099
Megaliskuu was just temp banned for 1 week by Daigomi.

That account was created on 2010-10-27 14:13:05 and had 3999 posts.

Reason: How many warnings do you need before you stop making no content posts? In future, just to be safe, I suggest not hitting the post button unless you've written out two full sentences. The bans will only get longer.


Wow Megalisk goes down again. And by Daigomi? Idk if I've ever seen one of his bans before.

Look up the post he was banned for. Clearly at least one person took TheKefka's thread seriously... :D
I like the way the walls go out. Gives you an open feeling. Firefly's a good design. People don't appreciate the substance of things. Objects in space. People miss out on what's solid.
Hondelul
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
1999 Posts
February 03 2012 02:11 GMT
#16100
I´m not totally sure, but I think this post http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=307882&currentpage=3#54 had no real spoilers of the games in it, but asked why Thorzain/Ret/... got bye the first 2 rounds instead of inviting 4 more players so they just have 1 bye.

The part with the byes is no spoiler since it´s in the published bracket http://s3.majorleaguegaming.com/2012-winter-europe-regionalonlinequalifier-starcraft2-64.html

I hope I didn´t read anything wrong (or he edited something after I read it)
PS: the post wasn´t reported in contrast to the other spoiler above, perhaps the mod was a bit fast while looking through the posts.

tarakas was just temp banned for 2 days by R1CH.

That account was created on 2011-11-05 10:50:59 and had 8 posts.

Reason: Don't post spoilers of unaired games.
Prev 1 803 804 805 806 807 3173 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 7h 13m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2510
NotJumperer 10
Dota 2
monkeys_forever878
NeuroSwarm214
Other Games
summit1g6194
Coldzera 781
Day[9].tv738
JimRising 690
C9.Mang0362
PiGStarcraft266
ArmadaUGS34
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick952
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream344
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 119
• Letter146
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Day9tv738
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
7h 13m
Afreeca Starleague
7h 13m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
21h 13m
Kung Fu Cup
1d 8h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.