• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:54
CEST 18:54
KST 01:54
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site BSL Season 23 Klaucher discontinued / in-game color settings BW General Discussion Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8437 users

TL Learn Korean Thread - Page 3

Forum Index > TL Community
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 18 19 20 Next All
FuRong
Profile Joined April 2010
New Zealand3089 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-04 15:40:59
January 04 2012 11:57 GMT
#41
This is a great initiative. I've been learning for about two years, mostly self-study plus two semesters at Sogang University. I'll post more later but for now:

1) TTMIK is a great resource, I know the guys who run it and they're awesome people as well.

2) Rosetta Stone is obviously not worth paying for, but as someone already posted, most TL users can probably figure out a way to "acquire" it anyway. RS is an easier and more efficient way to learn basic phrases and vocabulary than just learning it from a textbook imo. I used it when I first started out and I don't regret it.

3) On a personal note, I'm preparing for the TOPIK (한국어능력시험) at the moment and I have some hard grammar questions that I can't figure out. So if there are any kind souls on TL who are native speakers and could help me out, I'd appreciate it immensely and definitely shout you a beer if you're in Seoul or ever come to Seoul. Cheers.
Don't hate the player, hate the game
giesecke
Profile Joined January 2011
Germany361 Posts
January 04 2012 12:29 GMT
#42
On January 04 2012 20:57 FuRong wrote:
This is a great initiative. I've been learning for about two years, mostly self-study plus two semesters at Sogang University. I'll post more later but for now:

1) TTMIK is a great resource, I know the guys who run it and they're awesome people as well.

2) Rosetta Stone is obviously not worth paying for, but as someone already posted, most TL users can probably figure out a way to "acquire" it anyway. RS is an easier and more efficient way to learn basic phrases and vocabulary than just learning it from a textbook imo. I used it when I first started out and I don't regret it.

2) On a personal note, I'm preparing for the TOPIK (한국어능력시험) at the moment and I have some hard grammar questions that I can't figure out. So if there are any kind souls on TL who are native speakers and could help me out, I'd appreciate it immensely and definitely shout you a beer if you're in Seoul or ever come to Seoul. Cheers.




gl on topik,

got the beginner level here, takes me 30 minutes to figure out what the questions are about
well not learning korean for that long, so i guess that's how it's supposed to be.
Pokebunny
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United States10654 Posts
January 04 2012 12:31 GMT
#43
For those who are trashing Rosetta Stone:

I started with it a few days ago after getting lv1 for christmas. Is it really so bad that I should quit using it and start with something else instead, or can it at least be decent to start with? I'm obviously not yet at the point where I can tell how much I'm actually learning. How can it be so bad if it's been the go-to for computer language learning? Can Korean really b e that different as far as how good the program is? I find it hard to imagine that korean in particular would be so bad.
Semipro Terran player | Pokebunny#1710 | twitter.com/Pokebunny | twitch.tv/Pokebunny | facebook.com/PokebunnySC
Zocat
Profile Joined April 2010
Germany2229 Posts
January 04 2012 13:49 GMT
#44
Concerning Rosetta Stone:
It's great for vocabulary or as a supplement.
But it has it's limitations, since there is absolutely no explanation in another language. So you learn what you think it means/when it's used. Not necessarily what it means / when it's used (though you might realize in a later example that you misunderstood the concept and can correct it. But imho it's still time wasted, and could've been avoided with a short English explanation).

Btw if you want to read a nice success story from a TL user:
I found this blog inspirational & a good read.
Friedrich Nietzsche
Profile Joined December 2011
Germany171 Posts
January 04 2012 14:45 GMT
#45
I'm actually very interested to learn Korean. Might try it this summer.
Nicht!
Baobab
Profile Joined October 2010
Korea (South)153 Posts
January 04 2012 15:01 GMT
#46
On January 04 2012 09:24 k1mjee wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 04 2012 09:01 Froadac wrote:
To be avoided
[*]Rosetta Stone - Universally considered terrible for Korean.

100% disagree. I spent 3 months with Rosetta Stone and can speak fluently with other native Korean people perfectly fine. Great resource.


When you say fluent, what do you mean exactly? Like, you can order food/give taxi directions and stuff like that? I've been living in Korea and studying Korean for 10 months now, and I still wouldn't say I'm fluent per se... I mean I can say a ton of things and probably know ~1500 words, but they speak so damn fast >.< and with slang and all that... 어떻게 ㅠ.ㅠ

OP, great thread by the way!
한국어 배우고 있어요 ... 너무 어려우니까 도와주세요 ㅋㅋㅋ
Pokebunny
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United States10654 Posts
January 04 2012 15:19 GMT
#47
On January 04 2012 22:49 Zocat wrote:
Concerning Rosetta Stone:
It's great for vocabulary or as a supplement.
But it has it's limitations, since there is absolutely no explanation in another language. So you learn what you think it means/when it's used. Not necessarily what it means / when it's used (though you might realize in a later example that you misunderstood the concept and can correct it. But imho it's still time wasted, and could've been avoided with a short English explanation).

Btw if you want to read a nice success story from a TL user:
I found this blog inspirational & a good read.

Hm, true - did notice this already. I am streaming my rosetta stone on a private channel to my gf (fluent korean) and asking her questions if it doesn't make sense. She also teaches me some small phrases / uses them to keep me in shape, so that helps. Seems to be working well though so far!
Semipro Terran player | Pokebunny#1710 | twitter.com/Pokebunny | twitch.tv/Pokebunny | facebook.com/PokebunnySC
Timurid
Profile Joined April 2011
Guyana (French)656 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-04 18:19:32
January 04 2012 18:09 GMT
#48
is Mandarin closer to Korean than Japanese or are they about the same?
Froadac
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States6733 Posts
January 04 2012 23:59 GMT
#49
On January 05 2012 03:09 Timurid wrote:
is Mandarin closer to Korean than Japanese or are they about the same?

I think Japanese is closer than chinese, am not sure.
[Agony]x90
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
United States853 Posts
January 05 2012 00:49 GMT
#50
On January 05 2012 08:59 Froadac wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 05 2012 03:09 Timurid wrote:
is Mandarin closer to Korean than Japanese or are they about the same?

I think Japanese is closer than chinese, am not sure.


In terms of grammar Korean and Japanese are nearly identical. In terms of vocabulary, both Korean and Japanese borrow heavily from Chinese as it is, so all three are related somewhat equally in terms of vocabulary.
JF dodger since 2009
fatfail
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States386 Posts
January 05 2012 02:23 GMT
#51
Chinese grammar is pretty much the same as English grammar. Korean and Japanese are similar to each other, but completely different from mandarin. I believe it is SVO vs SOV or something?
My question is, when writing words in hangeul with more than one character, how do you decide what to write when two ways result in the (maybe) same sound? like 숮이 vs 수지. This has been bugging me for a while, thanks.
Kong fan... <3 Stork <3 Jangbi <3 Yellow <3 Fantasy
Pokebunny
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United States10654 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-05 02:28:13
January 05 2012 02:27 GMT
#52
On January 05 2012 11:23 fatfail wrote:
Chinese grammar is pretty much the same as English grammar. Korean and Japanese are similar to each other, but completely different from mandarin. I believe it is SVO vs SOV or something?
My question is, when writing words in hangeul with more than one character, how do you decide what to write when two ways result in the (maybe) same sound? like 숮이 vs 수지. This has been bugging me for a while, thanks.

It depends on the word, I'm pretty sure. There are a few spelling things that are just word by word - my biggest peeve is ㅐ vs ㅔ.. TT
Semipro Terran player | Pokebunny#1710 | twitter.com/Pokebunny | twitch.tv/Pokebunny | facebook.com/PokebunnySC
Spekulatius
Profile Joined January 2011
Germany2413 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-05 02:30:50
January 05 2012 02:28 GMT
#53
Korean and Japanese are definitely SOV. Don't know about Mandarin.

And your question has been boggling my mind for a while already. I wondered every time why it was written 윤아 and not 유나 when I was still into SNSD. I came to the conclusion that you can't tell them apart from their pronounciation, you just gotta learn them by heart. Would like to have that confirmed too though.

On January 05 2012 11:27 Pokebunny wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 05 2012 11:23 fatfail wrote:
Chinese grammar is pretty much the same as English grammar. Korean and Japanese are similar to each other, but completely different from mandarin. I believe it is SVO vs SOV or something?
My question is, when writing words in hangeul with more than one character, how do you decide what to write when two ways result in the (maybe) same sound? like 숮이 vs 수지. This has been bugging me for a while, thanks.

It depends on the word, I'm pretty sure. There are a few spelling things that are just word by word - my biggest peeve is ㅐ vs ㅔ.. TT

I was told there's actually very little to no difference in today's pronounciation. So it's truly a pain in the ass to know which one to write...
Always smile~
FuRong
Profile Joined April 2010
New Zealand3089 Posts
January 05 2012 02:38 GMT
#54
There is no way to tell just by listening, you have to learn the spelling one word at a time.

But think about it, at least it makes sense. Be thankful we don't have to deal with the bs that is English...rough/cough/through/bough etc
Don't hate the player, hate the game
Spekulatius
Profile Joined January 2011
Germany2413 Posts
January 05 2012 03:27 GMT
#55
Speak for yourself, native English speaker
Always smile~
Froadac
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States6733 Posts
January 06 2012 00:31 GMT
#56
Would anybody be up for skype chat sometime in next few weeks?
Seeker *
Profile Blog Joined April 2005
Where dat snitch at?37118 Posts
January 06 2012 02:53 GMT
#57
On January 06 2012 09:31 Froadac wrote:
Would anybody be up for skype chat sometime in next few weeks?

The Korean coaches? Or the ppl who want to learn?
ModeratorPeople ask me, "Seeker, what are you seeking?" My answer? "Sleep, damn it! Always sleep!"
TL+ Member
Froadac
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States6733 Posts
January 06 2012 03:06 GMT
#58
On January 06 2012 11:53 Seeker wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 06 2012 09:31 Froadac wrote:
Would anybody be up for skype chat sometime in next few weeks?

The Korean coaches? Or the ppl who want to learn?

Haha. Figuring both.
Seeker *
Profile Blog Joined April 2005
Where dat snitch at?37118 Posts
January 06 2012 03:21 GMT
#59
On January 06 2012 12:06 Froadac wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 06 2012 11:53 Seeker wrote:
On January 06 2012 09:31 Froadac wrote:
Would anybody be up for skype chat sometime in next few weeks?

The Korean coaches? Or the ppl who want to learn?

Haha. Figuring both.

I can probably make it. What time are we looking at?
ModeratorPeople ask me, "Seeker, what are you seeking?" My answer? "Sleep, damn it! Always sleep!"
TL+ Member
logikly
Profile Joined February 2009
United States329 Posts
January 06 2012 03:42 GMT
#60
I just want to learn how to type in korean " I'm not korean and I dont speak it"
함은정,류화영,남규리
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 18 19 20 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
FEL
01:00
ScienceCraft Qualifier
IndyStarCraft 176
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 595
IndyStarCraft 170
BRAT_OK 50
MindelVK 21
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 26101
Shuttle 1182
Hyuk 663
Mini 434
firebathero 187
hero 95
Sexy 87
Mong 51
Liquid`Ret 49
ggaemo 48
[ Show more ]
Killer 47
Trap 44
Hyun 44
PianO 31
ToSsGirL 25
zelot 16
Rock 15
ajuk12(nOOB) 10
Bale 10
Sacsri 7
Dota 2
Gorgc9981
qojqva1704
Dendi948
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1396
crisheroes1232
Liquid`Hasu675
Other Games
FrodaN1911
singsing1829
fl0m1536
Beastyqt689
Mlord492
Hui .254
Livibee173
Liquid`VortiX153
ArmadaUGS146
KnowMe126
Mew2King57
Trikslyr38
Grubby35
CosmosSc2 15
ToD6
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream43
Other Games
gamesdonequick0
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 45
• mYiSmile126
• Adnapsc2 16
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki15
• Michael_bg 12
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 8363
Other Games
• Shiphtur308
• WagamamaTV204
Upcoming Events
AI Arena Tournament
6m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2h 6m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
17h 6m
INu's Battles
19h 6m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
22h 6m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 2h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 2h
Replay Cast
1d 7h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 17h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 18h
[ Show More ]
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 23h
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.