• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 21:35
CEST 03:35
KST 10:35
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site Bot on ladder BSL Season 23
Tourneys
2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8903 users

TL Learn Korean Thread - Page 17

Forum Index > TL Community
Post a Reply
Prev 1 15 16 17 18 19 20 Next All
Growiel
Profile Joined October 2010
Korea (South)363 Posts
December 31 2012 00:41 GMT
#321
For those of you using Google+ (the clever guys), a good and active community to learn Korean here :

https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/107146017007838648558
StarCraft II for ever.
Sephy90
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United States1785 Posts
December 31 2012 02:03 GMT
#322
On November 22 2012 07:06 NeVeR wrote:
ㅋㅋ 이거 지금 처음 봤네
내가 고등학교때 스타 때문에 한국어를 때로때로 배웠었는데
재작년 연세대에 여름학기 다니느라 서울에 이개월 동안 살았고
금년 2월부터는 한국말을 다시 열심히 배우는게 시작햇다
내 생각하기에 만약 외국인들이 한국말 잘하고싶다면 한국친구들이랑 자주 얘기해야되는거 같아
한국어를 혼자서 공부하는건 충분하지않자나
한국인처럼 한국말 잘하려면 한국친구들 만들고 걔들이랑 한국말로만 자주 대화하면 돼
그렇게 하면 빨리 배울거야~
나는 한국인 어학원생이 많은 뉴욕에 가까이 살아서 행운있지 ㅋ
만약에 내가 무슨말하는지 알아듣고 친구할래면 피엠으로 메시지를 보내줘서 내 카톡아이디를 알려줄게
한국말 배운거 도와줄 친구나 똑같은 수준 친구가 있으면 좋겠으니까
좋은 하루~

You've no idea how happy I am that I can understand most of what you wrote... I've been learning Korean by ear / chatting / playing with Koreans everyday for about 1 year +. I have an appreciation for languages and nothing else seems to make me happier than than learning new things about a language.
"So I turned the lights off at night and practiced by myself"
jpak
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States5045 Posts
December 31 2012 03:02 GMT
#323
On November 22 2012 07:06 NeVeR wrote:
ㅋㅋ 이거 지금 처음 봤네
내가 고등학교때 스타 때문에 한국어를 때로때로 배웠었는데
재작년 연세대에 여름학기 다니느라 서울에 이개월 동안 살았고
금년 2월부터는 한국말을 다시 열심히 배우는게 시작햇다
내 생각하기에 만약 외국인들이 한국말 잘하고싶다면 한국친구들이랑 자주 얘기해야되는거 같아
한국어를 혼자서 공부하는건 충분하지않자나
한국인처럼 한국말 잘하려면 한국친구들 만들고 걔들이랑 한국말로만 자주 대화하면 돼
그렇게 하면 빨리 배울거야~
나는 한국인 어학원생이 많은 뉴욕에 가까이 살아서 행운있지 ㅋ
만약에 내가 무슨말하는지 알아듣고 친구할래면 피엠으로 메시지를 보내줘서 내 카톡아이디를 알려줄게
한국말 배운거 도와줄 친구나 똑같은 수준 친구가 있으면 좋겠으니까
좋은 하루~

A little rough around the edges (a bit like someone not saying 'a' or 'the' while speaking English), but very very good (I understood what was said perfectly).

If you need some random help every now and then, don't be afraid to PM me. I'll try my best to answer your questions.
CJ Entusman #50! #1 클템 fan TL!
Seeker *
Profile Blog Joined April 2005
Where dat snitch at?37118 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-12-31 14:22:56
December 31 2012 03:15 GMT
#324
On November 22 2012 07:06 NeVeR wrote:
ㅋㅋ 이거 지금 처음 봤네
내가 고등학교때 스타 때문에 한국어를 때로때로 배웠었는데
재작년 연세대에 여름학기 다니느라 서울에 이개월 동안 살았고
금년 2월부터는 한국말을 다시 열심히 배우는게 시작햇다
내 생각하기에 만약 외국인들이 한국말 잘하고싶다면 한국친구들이랑 자주 얘기해야되는거 같아
한국어를 혼자서 공부하는건 충분하지않자나
한국인처럼 한국말 잘하려면 한국친구들 만들고 걔들이랑 한국말로만 자주 대화하면 돼
그렇게 하면 빨리 배울거야~
나는 한국인 어학원생이 많은 뉴욕에 가까이 살아서 행운있지 ㅋ
만약에 내가 무슨말하는지 알아듣고 친구할래면 피엠으로 메시지를 보내줘서 내 카톡아이디를 알려줄게
한국말 배운거 도와줄 친구나 똑같은 수준 친구가 있으면 좋겠으니까
좋은 하루~

왜 이거 한국말로 쓰셨나요? ㅡㅡ;;
ModeratorPeople ask me, "Seeker, what are you seeking?" My answer? "Sleep, damn it! Always sleep!"
TL+ Member
Deleted User 268575
Profile Joined June 2012
146 Posts
December 31 2012 08:49 GMT
#325
TL Name : Jemah
Real name (optional) : James
Skype : jamesuh1
What you know : Know a few words, really bad at grammar, can only formulate simple sentences and few gestures but generally reallyyy sucky @ korean
Goals : to be able to read/write Korean and be able to translate
http://twitch.tv/jemah
{ToT}ColmA
Profile Joined November 2007
Japan3260 Posts
December 31 2012 19:52 GMT
#326
for my new year resolution i am gonna do a 1h per day learning korean, i am gonna start from anew, i always was very bad at selfstudy and would rather play games or watch kdrama instead of learning, thats gotta change.

as it was already pointed out that its advisable to learn hangul first thats what i gonna do but when looking at talktomeinkorean.com there are only 2 parts and it seems they didnt continue the hangul videos. anyone knows a video guide for hangul which is completed?

oh and btw, when i learned english in school it felt completly different...like we had to memorize vocabulary on a daily basis, i cant seem to find such things (i was always good in that T_T)
The only virgins in kpop left are the fans
Zocat
Profile Joined April 2010
Germany2229 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-12-31 20:26:44
December 31 2012 20:25 GMT
#327
On January 01 2013 04:52 {ToT}ColmA wrote:
for my new year resolution i am gonna do a 1h per day learning korean, i am gonna start from anew, i always was very bad at selfstudy and would rather play games or watch kdrama instead of learning, thats gotta change.

as it was already pointed out that its advisable to learn hangul first thats what i gonna do but when looking at talktomeinkorean.com there are only 2 parts and it seems they didnt continue the hangul videos. anyone knows a video guide for hangul which is completed?

oh and btw, when i learned english in school it felt completly different...like we had to memorize vocabulary on a daily basis, i cant seem to find such things (i was always good in that T_T)


I personally liked seemile.com 's hangul lesson, since they at least offer a bit of insight of start/end of consonant pronunciation. But it's still less than my book has. On the other hand, the basics should be enough, since the best way is to listen to a native speaker (TTMIK offers this) for every new word.

For vocabulary memorization, check out memrise (probably some TOPIK list) or create your own Anki lists.
Just google those 2 terms (and TL has a memrise thread somewhere).
Zenbrez
Profile Joined June 2012
Canada5973 Posts
January 01 2013 06:48 GMT
#328
While I think it would be cool to be able to speak korean fluently, it's not very practical for my purposes. But being able to read it I think would be fun to learn. How difficult would this be? Of course it would take time and effort, but not having to worry about any oral component of the language, would just learn how to read significantly reduce the difficulty?
Refer to my post.
NeVeR
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
1352 Posts
January 02 2013 22:50 GMT
#329
On December 31 2012 12:15 Seeker wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 22 2012 07:06 NeVeR wrote:
ㅋㅋ 이거 지금 처음 봤네
내가 고등학교때 스타 때문에 한국어를 때로때로 배웠었는데
재작년 연세대에 여름학기 다니느라 서울에 이개월 동안 살았고
금년 2월부터는 한국말을 다시 열심히 배우는게 시작햇다
내 생각하기에 만약 외국인들이 한국말 잘하고싶다면 한국친구들이랑 자주 얘기해야되는거 같아
한국어를 혼자서 공부하는건 충분하지않자나
한국인처럼 한국말 잘하려면 한국친구들 만들고 걔들이랑 한국말로만 자주 대화하면 돼
그렇게 하면 빨리 배울거야~
나는 한국인 어학원생이 많은 뉴욕에 가까이 살아서 행운있지 ㅋ
만약에 내가 무슨말하는지 알아듣고 친구할래면 피엠으로 메시지를 보내줘서 내 카톡아이디를 알려줄게
한국말 배운거 도와줄 친구나 똑같은 수준 친구가 있으면 좋겠으니까
좋은 하루~

왜 이거 한국말로 쓰셨나요? ㅡㅡ;;


한국어를 배우기와 연습하기에 대한 게시판인줄 알았으니까요
Zambrah
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United States7393 Posts
January 04 2013 04:02 GMT
#330
Talk to Me in Korean seems really good so far, trying to learn Korean for my girlfriend, and so far using Talk to Me in Korean has been pretty good for me!
Incremental change is the Democrat version of Trickle Down economics.
Mariosatr
Profile Joined September 2012
294 Posts
January 12 2013 22:43 GMT
#331
Just wondering, but would watching Pororo (maybe with English subtitles if me struggle) help me learn Korean? I know pretty much all of the Hangul alphabet, but almost nothing beyond that.
A mind sharper than any blade.
stablol
Profile Joined July 2011
United States82 Posts
January 14 2013 01:17 GMT
#332
hey snipealot do you use kakaotalk?
보아 사랑해요 짱
TheEmulator
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
28103 Posts
January 14 2013 07:07 GMT
#333
On January 13 2013 07:43 Mariosatr wrote:
Just wondering, but would watching Pororo (maybe with English subtitles if me struggle) help me learn Korean? I know pretty much all of the Hangul alphabet, but almost nothing beyond that.

It should. Watching anything Korean would help a ton. Pororo is a kids show so it is simplified a little bit, I think, so it would be easier to grasp if you're learning Korean.
Administrator
Zocat
Profile Joined April 2010
Germany2229 Posts
January 14 2013 17:57 GMT
#334
Be careful with subtitles though, if they're not Korean subs.
Just watching it while reading the (Eng) subs will not help you at all.

Best way is probably to watch small segments (4-5min) without subs, and then rewatch them with subs. Or if you're good enough to understand most of it, just use subs when you dont understand something.
And you probably need a good base vocabulary to really gain something from it (1-2k I'd guess, but I have no idea how complicated Pororo is).


That said, I have my own request:
Does anyone know some good books in Korean? I'd prefer something with folk tales / history based stuff, targeted at children (as in: easy). Something like Brother Grimm.
Other suggestions (as in genre) are welcome as well.
usNEUX
Profile Joined March 2012
United States76 Posts
January 15 2013 00:29 GMT
#335
I'm going to be in Korea for 2 years starting late this summer and am hoping to be able to hold a basic conversation by the time I get there! I got the basic grammar book (Andrew Byon) off Amazon a while back which happens to also be listed in this thread and am currently spending 2 hours a day or so on Rosetta Stone. While I would agree that Rosetta Stone on its own would be terrible for a beginner, I think I have enough background in learning languages (having majored in German) that I am able to figure out the grammar as I go with the help of the book. I find that Rosetta Stone's repetition and style is good for improving one's pronunciation and ability to read Hangul. So far so good!

I'm also just starting to use talktomeinkorean.com but haven't done enough to decide how helpful it will be.

One thing that I'd love to get some help with is handwriting. If this:
is what people's handwriting actually looks like then I may as well start learning to write that way myself. I'm hoping that my writing can fall somewhere in-between what you see in this video and correct Korean as you see it typed so that I will be able to write faster as well as read handwritten Korean. Does anyone know any resources that could help? Or would be willing to create a basic guide?
Unter allem Diebesgesindel sind die Narren die schlimmsten. Sie rauben euch beides, Zeit und Stimmung. - Goethe. NEVER GIVE UP NEVER SURRENDER.
Deleted User 268575
Profile Joined June 2012
146 Posts
January 15 2013 08:18 GMT
#336
+ Show Spoiler +
On January 15 2013 09:29 usNEUX wrote:
I'm going to be in Korea for 2 years starting late this summer and am hoping to be able to hold a basic conversation by the time I get there! I got the basic grammar book (Andrew Byon) off Amazon a while back which happens to also be listed in this thread and am currently spending 2 hours a day or so on Rosetta Stone. While I would agree that Rosetta Stone on its own would be terrible for a beginner, I think I have enough background in learning languages (having majored in German) that I am able to figure out the grammar as I go with the help of the book. I find that Rosetta Stone's repetition and style is good for improving one's pronunciation and ability to read Hangul. So far so good!

I'm also just starting to use talktomeinkorean.com but haven't done enough to decide how helpful it will be.

One thing that I'd love to get some help with is handwriting. If this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMAVmLaLV0E is what people's handwriting actually looks like then I may as well start learning to write that way myself. I'm hoping that my writing can fall somewhere in-between what you see in this video and correct Korean as you see it typed so that I will be able to write faster as well as read handwritten Korean. Does anyone know any resources that could help? Or would be willing to create a basic guide?



Wow that's cool! What are you going to Korea for and why 2 years?
http://twitch.tv/jemah
usNEUX
Profile Joined March 2012
United States76 Posts
January 15 2013 20:47 GMT
#337
First duty station for the Army actually, hoping to make as many non-military connections as possible too so that I might have the option to come back and work there later on if I really like it. Hence really trying to learn Korean.
Unter allem Diebesgesindel sind die Narren die schlimmsten. Sie rauben euch beides, Zeit und Stimmung. - Goethe. NEVER GIVE UP NEVER SURRENDER.
Pokebunny
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United States10654 Posts
January 15 2013 21:07 GMT
#338
On January 14 2013 16:07 TheEmulator wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 13 2013 07:43 Mariosatr wrote:
Just wondering, but would watching Pororo (maybe with English subtitles if me struggle) help me learn Korean? I know pretty much all of the Hangul alphabet, but almost nothing beyond that.

It should. Watching anything Korean would help a ton. Pororo is a kids show so it is simplified a little bit, I think, so it would be easier to grasp if you're learning Korean.

I would say watching shows without a decent grasp of most basic vocab and grammar will not help you at all. gotta build up a base of knowledge before that really makes a big difference imo
Semipro Terran player | Pokebunny#1710 | twitter.com/Pokebunny | twitch.tv/Pokebunny | facebook.com/PokebunnySC
PresenceSc2
Profile Joined February 2011
Australia4032 Posts
January 15 2013 21:49 GMT
#339
Just started using Rosetta Stone - Korean lvl 1
Will post some of my experience as i go in here
Stephano//HerO//TaeJa//Squirtle//Bomber
Rad
Profile Joined May 2010
United States935 Posts
January 16 2013 02:43 GMT
#340
Glad I saw this thread randomly today. Took me a couple hours tonight but I think I've got much of hangul down now! I read through the 6 part help thread/blog and watched the 2 talk to me in korean videos and am reading stuff reasonably fast now. Both helped in very different ways. Thanks for this thread, gave me something to do and now I'm interested in learning more :D
Prev 1 15 16 17 18 19 20 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 8h 26m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Hyuk 53
NaDa 14
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm247
LuMiX0
Other Games
summit1g9362
JimRising 684
ViBE146
ArmadaUGS97
Mew2King94
Trikslyr29
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1265
BasetradeTV163
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream121
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 114
• davetesta55
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
8h 26m
INu's Battles
10h 26m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
13h 26m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
17h 26m
BSL Open Qualifier
17h 26m
Replay Cast
21h 26m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 8h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 9h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 14h
Replay Cast
1d 21h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.