• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 18:43
CEST 00:43
KST 07:43
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site Bot on ladder BW General Discussion BSL Season 23
Tourneys
2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9522 users

TL Learn Korean Thread - Page 15

Forum Index > TL Community
Post a Reply
Prev 1 13 14 15 16 17 20 Next All
krndandaman
Profile Joined August 2009
Mozambique16569 Posts
July 20 2012 13:09 GMT
#281
--- Nuked ---
Stratos
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Czech Republic6104 Posts
July 21 2012 17:13 GMT
#282
http://www.talktomeinkorean.com/lessons/kpop-gee-1/
Learning Korean with kpop Much better than just reading random translations on the web I guess.
En Taro Violet
Growiel
Profile Joined October 2010
Korea (South)363 Posts
August 07 2012 17:29 GMT
#283
Hey guys,

I am a lot less noob in Korean now and would to exchange (French or English) for Korean, or just learn Korean with another learner via Skype (mostly written, but i'm ok to try oral too).

PM me for my skype ID.
StarCraft II for ever.
Froadac
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States6733 Posts
September 01 2012 21:44 GMT
#284
http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?topic_id=365273

Good new lessonet from Mizu.
Isken
Profile Joined November 2010
Korea (South)1131 Posts
September 01 2012 22:27 GMT
#285
On July 19 2012 08:00 prplhz wrote:
hey guys can anybody recommend a good korean textbook? something with texts that you can read and an audio recording of people reading it out, would be nice if there are grammar lessons too. something for beginners.

right now i'm using talk to me in korean a lot along with the basic korean grammar book for reference, but i'd like something with a lot of words to expand my vocabulary but something that i can do at my own pace. the talk to me in korean lessons are sometimes a little... long and repetitive and skipping around in them to find the good parts is annoying, it would be much easier with a book.

thanks

I use the "Elementary Korean" (R. King/J. Yeon) out of recommendations read here in TL and its really solid (albeit formal)

I don't really know if this is what you're looking for ("a lot of words" => not sure about that) but there's definitly alot of audio.
There's also a workbook which you can use (same name + workbook, by I. Lee) and contains its fair share of audio as well as basic exercices to really understand the lesson points, listening comprehension (always very hard when you study alone and used to having all written...)
Nausea_
Profile Joined July 2011
Sweden68 Posts
September 01 2012 23:07 GMT
#286
I'm trying to learn Korean atm, and just saw this thread. Great! :-) Very beginner so far.
Froadac
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States6733 Posts
September 02 2012 01:09 GMT
#287
Yeah. I'm really bad too. I haven't studied in forever though.
Left4Cookies
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Denmark803 Posts
September 02 2012 13:41 GMT
#288
www.talktomeinkorean.com is what I use together with my newly acquired Oxford Advanced Learner's English-Korean. It's not the easiest dictionary to use, but it's got everything! TTMIK.com is an amazing site though and they've also got a shop where you can get workbooks and such.
Engineering's like math. But LOUDER!
FuRong
Profile Joined April 2010
New Zealand3089 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-09-02 15:24:16
September 02 2012 15:23 GMT
#289
Recently I've been thinking about ways I can contribute to TL more. I just saw Mizu's lesson and started thinking, would anyone be interested in a series about how to pass TOPIK or something? There aren't many really good resources out there about the test, but then again I dunno if many TLers are planning to take it or are even interested in doing so. Thoughts?
Don't hate the player, hate the game
aloT
Profile Joined April 2010
England1042 Posts
September 05 2012 21:14 GMT
#290
since my life is consumed with kpop I might as well start learning what I can.

I just read part 1 of mizus beginner for absolute noobs and when I correctly said the words I felt this rush of supreme triumph, it felt good. THANK YOU!

but even if I learn the alphabet and can read and speak the words in front of me, is there anyway to learn/infer what they mean without having a direct english translation next to it?
Stratos
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Czech Republic6104 Posts
September 05 2012 21:40 GMT
#291
On September 06 2012 06:14 aloT wrote:
since my life is consumed with kpop I might as well start learning what I can.

I just read part 1 of mizus beginner for absolute noobs and when I correctly said the words I felt this rush of supreme triumph, it felt good. THANK YOU!

but even if I learn the alphabet and can read and speak the words in front of me, is there anyway to learn/infer what they mean without having a direct english translation next to it?

Not sure what you mean by that. The way the language works is fairly easy to understand, it's just the hangeul barrier that makes things confusing at the beginning. Once you master the writing system, you can start making your own sentences in a day or 2 and gradually improve to fluency.

http://www.talktomeinkorean.com/curriculum/

This actually reminds me of my first steps. Learning phrases like 안녕하세요 (hello) was exciting, but later when you get to the point where you actually understand how the phrase is put together and what exactly it means, when you can change it to suit what you're trying to say more clearly, that's when the real fun begins.
If you don't get discouraged by the alphabet, you'll get there, it's really quite easy. Just take your time and try to read a lot unless you're "fluent" in reading/writing. Then the learning process speeds up a ton.
En Taro Violet
Zocat
Profile Joined April 2010
Germany2229 Posts
September 05 2012 23:54 GMT
#292
On September 06 2012 06:14 aloT wrote:
since my life is consumed with kpop I might as well start learning what I can.

I just read part 1 of mizus beginner for absolute noobs and when I correctly said the words I felt this rush of supreme triumph, it felt good. THANK YOU!

but even if I learn the alphabet and can read and speak the words in front of me, is there anyway to learn/infer what they mean without having a direct english translation next to it?


It honestly sounds like Korean is your first second language.
So: No. There's no easy way. You will have to put in the hours to learn the vocabulary. No shortcuts. Repetition (of course you can draw some conclusions from words you know, i.e. 하다 verbs).

Later if you gain proficiency in a language it changes though. You start to "think" in that language. You no longer think "I want to say *x* what's the word for *x*". You know the "concept" of x is y.
Sure sometimes I only know the German word for the concept (that's when I use a dictionary^^) - but overall you will be able to "communicate" without having to rely on translation.
aloT
Profile Joined April 2010
England1042 Posts
September 06 2012 14:03 GMT
#293
wow this feels weird, after 2 hours Korean words that were just a jumble of lines to me are now a fully readable language.

I mean it doesnt really mean anything, I have always been able to read any romanized language with no idea what it meant but I always thought Korean was some kind of mystical language of the gods.

2 hours is all it takes for your mind to be blown! thank you mizu
Left4Cookies
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Denmark803 Posts
September 07 2012 17:13 GMT
#294
On September 06 2012 23:03 aloT wrote:
wow this feels weird, after 2 hours Korean words that were just a jumble of lines to me are now a fully readable language.

I mean it doesnt really mean anything, I have always been able to read any romanized language with no idea what it meant but I always thought Korean was some kind of mystical language of the gods.

2 hours is all it takes for your mind to be blown! thank you mizu


Yup, learning Hangul makes you feel some kind of powerful deity. Until you want to understand the meaning of it all that is, because then you get smacked in the head with a gigantic book called "Hard Work".
Engineering's like math. But LOUDER!
LaNague
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Germany9118 Posts
October 01 2012 04:40 GMT
#295
Would i be able to get fluent in korean by just studying until i can understand TV shows and then expand from there?
I had 5 years of latin classes, so i THINK im immune to grammar roadblocks, even if korean is from a completely different origin.

Simpsons basically tought me fluent english after some years of learning in school (when i finished school with english as one major even, i wasnt even able to follow english tv without subtitles).
Forlorn
Profile Joined April 2010
Korea (South)69 Posts
October 01 2012 14:35 GMT
#296
I've been learning Korean for over 2 years on and off. I finally got serious about learning Korean and enrolled in Sogang University at level 2 right now.

I realize the best way to improve is through copious amounts of practice. So I am looking for practice partners, mentors, or maybe even some Korean noobs I can help.

I'd also like to recommend the Active Korean series of books. You must get the workbook with it. I've tried lots of different methods of learning Korean and those books probably helped me the most while self studying.
Hi
jinorazi
Profile Joined October 2004
Korea (South)4948 Posts
October 26 2012 07:06 GMT
#297
download genietalk app, great app. bounds better than google translate
age: 84 | location: california | sex: 잘함
snipealot *
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Korea (South)494 Posts
October 26 2012 10:32 GMT
#298
No clue how interesting it is, but tomorrow morning (Saturday 10/26 - 10AM KST) I will be doing an introductory lesson in Korean on my twitch channel. I'm currently a level 3 Yonsei student, so I am far from fluent - but I feel confident enough to teach the basic stuff. The reason I'm doing this is that I need something to motivate me to review everything - teaching others is a great way to better learn and solidify that which you have learned yourself. I will be following the Yonsei books and I will be moving rather fast. I also hope to have a lot of chat interaction, people should be allowed to ask questions etc. Grammar points I will be covering tomorrow:

-다
Sentence structure
이다
ㅂ니다 / ㅂ니까 – 이에요 / 예요
습니다 / 습니까
-은/는
-이/가
있다 / 없다
이, 그, 저
-에
snipealot *
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Korea (South)494 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-10-27 07:03:01
October 27 2012 02:55 GMT
#299
VOD is up of the first lesson. Starts 15min in - http://www.twitch.tv/snipealot/b/337001188
Lecture lasts for 1hour 40minutes, I would love some feedback.

Full lecture also up on youtube:



Any feedback is appreciated.
Left4Cookies
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Denmark803 Posts
October 30 2012 18:27 GMT
#300
Awesome! I will check it out in the near future and leave you some feedback!
Engineering's like math. But LOUDER!
Prev 1 13 14 15 16 17 20 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL: Ladder Tournament
04:00
#2 - $100
ZZZero.O180
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
PiGStarcraft317
Nina 110
ViBE76
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 14437
ZZZero.O 165
firebathero 104
Hyuk 73
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm133
febbydoto75
League of Legends
Doublelift4134
Counter-Strike
Fnx 956
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby5913
Other Games
summit1g7864
FrodaN2259
JimRising 335
mouzStarbuck318
ToD266
KnowMe241
ArmadaUGS134
Mew2King52
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1188
BasetradeTV186
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream98
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 95
• musti20045 29
• Letter149
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie580
• Shiphtur204
• tFFMrPink 11
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
11h 18m
INu's Battles
13h 18m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
16h 18m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
20h 18m
BSL Open Qualifier
20h 18m
Replay Cast
1d
Afreeca Starleague
1d 11h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 12h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 17h
Replay Cast
2 days
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
6 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.