• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:17
CEST 22:17
KST 05:17
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8349 users

Simple Questions Simple Answers - Page 141

Forum Index > Tech Support
Post a Reply
Prev 1 139 140 141 142 143 653 Next
DONTPANIC
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States340 Posts
May 22 2012 20:33 GMT
#2801
Why are people buying H77 boards over B75 Boards for their cheap rigs?
The universe is big. Really big.
Shield
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Bulgaria4824 Posts
May 22 2012 22:16 GMT
#2802
On May 23 2012 03:25 TheToast wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 23 2012 03:15 darkness wrote:
On May 23 2012 00:35 TheToast wrote:
On May 23 2012 00:19 TheSwamp wrote:
On May 13 2012 10:15 TheSwamp wrote:
Hi Guys! In game it says my suggested graphics is extreme and textures are ultra, but I only get ~ 30 fps in a 1v1 without max vs max armies.
My setup is as follows:
AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 640 Processor
8 GB of DDR3 ram
and A nvidia GTS 450

Is there something that could be wrong with my pc? Or am I just expecting too much from my setup?


Quoting so I can hopefully get an answer. Also, if you need anymore info let me know.


The problem with your PC is the shitty processor. Welcome to the club. We have online meetings every Friday, but everyone always misses them because it takes too long for our PCs to load.

But seriously, your CPU is over two years old. Despite being clocked at 3Ghz, the performance of the entire Phenom II line is pretty far behind an i5 or comparable intel processor, and SC2 can only utilize two cores of a CPU so the fact that it's a quad core doesn't necessarily mean anything.


How do you know Sc2 supports only 2 cores? Proof please.


SkyR told me. That counts as evidence around here.

Besides that, a quick google will show up a number of tech articles about it:

http://www.legionhardware.com/articles_pages/starcraft_ii_wings_of_liberty_beta_performance,7.html
http://www.techspot.com/review/305-starcraft2-performance/page13.html
etc., etc.


On May 23 2012 03:25 Zushen wrote:
starcraft 2 only supporting 2 cores is well known heres proof from a blizzard support agent http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/1074088265


Thank you. According to Blizzard, there is a desync problem with multiple core support, but I hope they find a way. Really stupid issue. :/
Jaso
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States2147 Posts
May 23 2012 01:05 GMT
#2803
This doesn't have so much to do with computers but it is tech related. Sorta.. or maybe physics o_o

When you invert a sound wave in a program like Audacity why is it that it sounds pretty much identical?
derp
Al Bundy
Profile Joined April 2010
7257 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-23 04:33:46
May 23 2012 04:30 GMT
#2804
Hey guys please forgive me if this is not the right thread.

To tell the truth I have an "issue" with my computer, well it's not that big of a deal considering the fact that the computer seems to run fine otherwise.
Here are my specs:
-mobo: MSI P67A-C45 B3 (Chipset: Intel P67)
-CPU: Intel i5-2300
-GPU: GeForce GTX 550 Ti
-OS: Win7 64

I bought this computer in December, 2011 and recently, out of curiosity, I installed Speedfan in order to monitor the temperatures. When I'm playing video games there's this "Temp2" sensor that goes up to kinda high temperatures. These are Celsius degrees by the way:
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]
Here are the maximum temperatures for each one:
GPU: 55°
Temp1: 55°
Temp2: 81°
Temp3: 37°
HDO: 30°
CPU: 56°
As you can see only this so-called Temp2 seem to get pretty warm during gaming.


The problem is, I don't even know what does this Temp2 correspond to. Please excuse my lack of technological knowledge but I just want to know if this whole heating up thing is dangerous, and if there is a way to know precisely what part is getting that warm, ie what is Temp2.

Thank you very much.
o choro é livre
Myrmidon
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States9452 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-23 04:42:13
May 23 2012 04:35 GMT
#2805
On May 23 2012 10:05 Jaso wrote:
This doesn't have so much to do with computers but it is tech related. Sorta.. or maybe physics o_o

When you invert a sound wave in a program like Audacity why is it that it sounds pretty much identical?

Well, if it were just a pure sine wave, then flipping the sign is equivalent to just a phase shift of 180 degrees, which is pretty similar to a time delay (just starting the sine wave half a cycle late). When you think about it that way, it doesn't seem as important as the frequency or amplitude information, right? Sounds are just combinations of different-amplitude sinusoids at different times. Reference Fourier series, Fourier analysis, etc.

I think the auditory system is more or less interpreting frequencies, so breaking sounds down into sinusoids actually does somewhat correspond to how the brain works anyway (it's not just an arbitrary mathematical decomposition). IIRC that's how it works. Relative phase information can be distinguished, but if all frequencies get shifted by the same amount as they would if the signal is completely flipped, then there isn't any shift in the phase of one component as compared to the phase of another component.

Sometimes headphones or speakers get wired backwards, so they're actually producing everything out of phase by 180 degrees, and I'm not sure if anybody can actually tell. Some amplifiers invert the signal as well.

I'm just guessing though.


On May 23 2012 13:30 Al Bundy wrote:
The problem is, I don't even know what does this Temp2 correspond to. Please excuse my lack of technological knowledge but I just want to know if this whole heating up thing is dangerous, and if there is a way to know precisely what part is getting that warm, ie what is Temp2.

Maybe just an uncalibrated, garbage, or faulty sensor reading, or SpeedFan doesn't know how to correctly interpret some raw value. Did you try another program?

I mean, some of those reported voltages are definitely wrong.

Worst-case scenario, it's something legit like voltage regulator or chipset temperatures, and the reading is accurate or close enough. Try asking MSI, or somebody else with that model of motherboard.
Al Bundy
Profile Joined April 2010
7257 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-23 05:13:42
May 23 2012 05:13 GMT
#2806
Thanks for the quick answer.
I used another software called HWMonitor, here are the values if you don't mind:
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]
I played Arma2 for about 5 minutes and TMPIN1 (which I assume is Temp2 in Speedfan) went straight from its usual 38° to 62°C.

Do you think this is as you said related to voltage regulating? I believe these parameters can be changed in the Bios but I don't recall messing with any of these settings.
I'm going to check MSI's website an try to ask them what's up with that.
o choro é livre
Myrmidon
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States9452 Posts
May 23 2012 05:22 GMT
#2807
Many values aren't particularly to be trusted. I was just using the voltages as an example of some things that are obviously incorrect readings, to say that you're not supposed to take everything seriously. A lot of components can handle pretty high temperatures anyway. Something like 62C is nothing for a lot of power transistors, digital logic.
Al Bundy
Profile Joined April 2010
7257 Posts
May 23 2012 05:24 GMT
#2808
Thanks Myrmidon
o choro é livre
Pwnographics
Profile Joined January 2011
New Zealand1097 Posts
May 23 2012 11:24 GMT
#2809
So I have a portable hard drive with 480GB of movies in FAT32 format, but when I copy it onto my hard drive in NTFS it shows up as 240GB, is there a particular reason for this?
Nuttyguy
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United Kingdom1526 Posts
May 23 2012 12:05 GMT
#2810
I have a d3 icon in my task bar and i cant remove it, cant right click on it. When i open d3 it opens another window.
[image loading]
How do i remove it?
Sovano
Profile Joined November 2011
United States1503 Posts
May 23 2012 21:27 GMT
#2811
So one of my computers won't turn on, and I have 90% confidence that it is the PSU that won't work; 10% that it's the motherboard. Is there any cheap ways to test if my PSU is working other than buying a multimeters? Just thought I'd ask in case I can save myself some money.
Rollin
Profile Joined March 2011
Australia1552 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-23 21:32:48
May 23 2012 21:31 GMT
#2812
On May 24 2012 06:27 Sovano wrote:
So one of my computers won't turn on, and I have 90% confidence that it is the PSU that won't work; 10% that it's the motherboard. Is there any cheap ways to test if my PSU is working other than buying a multimeters? Just thought I'd ask in case I can save myself some money.
+ Show Spoiler +



Although that won't tell you if your powersupply is failing under too much load (if it's shit basically).

EDIT: Spoilered as I didn't realise it would embed >.>
Throw off those chains of reason, and your prison disappears. | Check your posting frequency timeline: http://www.teamliquid.net/mytlnet/post_activity_img.php
jaj22
Profile Joined September 2009
United Kingdom1376 Posts
May 23 2012 21:35 GMT
#2813
On May 24 2012 06:27 Sovano wrote:
So one of my computers won't turn on, and I have 90% confidence that it is the PSU that won't work; 10% that it's the motherboard. Is there any cheap ways to test if my PSU is working other than buying a multimeters? Just thought I'd ask in case I can save myself some money.

If it doesn't turn on at all? Connect up a DVD drive to the PSU (for a bit of load) and wire green to black on the ATX connector with a paper clip. If the DVD tray opens and the LED works, the PSU might be ok. It's not an absolute proof though.

TheToast
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States4808 Posts
May 23 2012 21:39 GMT
#2814
On May 23 2012 21:05 Nuttyguy wrote:
I have a d3 icon in my task bar and i cant remove it, cant right click on it. When i open d3 it opens another window.
[image loading]
How do i remove it?


It looks like it's just a pinned Start Menu shortcut, which when utilizing the "vista" setup of the Windows 7 task bar just sit there. Should be able to right click on it and select "unpin from start menu" or just click and drag it to the trash.
I like the way the walls go out. Gives you an open feeling. Firefly's a good design. People don't appreciate the substance of things. Objects in space. People miss out on what's solid.
Sovano
Profile Joined November 2011
United States1503 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-23 22:00:31
May 23 2012 21:59 GMT
#2815
Well I just tried the paperclip method. My PSU is functional, so it's not dead. Could that mean that it is my mobo? My computer is like literally 10 years old, but my parents are so gosh darn cheap, so they'd replace a mobo if that's all it took to get the secondary computer running again.
Deleted User 255289
Profile Joined March 2012
281 Posts
May 23 2012 22:05 GMT
#2816
On May 23 2012 14:13 Al Bundy wrote:
Thanks for the quick answer.
I used another software called HWMonitor, here are the values if you don't mind:
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]
I played Arma2 for about 5 minutes and TMPIN1 (which I assume is Temp2 in Speedfan) went straight from its usual 38° to 62°C.

Do you think this is as you said related to voltage regulating? I believe these parameters can be changed in the Bios but I don't recall messing with any of these settings.
I'm going to check MSI's website an try to ask them what's up with that.


Yeah I was gonna recommend you to use hwmonitor, its what i always use to see temps. Btw, your temperatures look pretty normal.
Zerg OP | CreansRNub | k-Poop | Zerg OP | Sea lions | \\m//
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-23 22:08:35
May 23 2012 22:08 GMT
#2817
On May 24 2012 06:59 Sovano wrote:
Well I just tried the paperclip method. My PSU is functional, so it's not dead. Could that mean that it is my mobo? My computer is like literally 10 years old, but my parents are so gosh darn cheap, so they'd replace a mobo if that's all it took to get the secondary computer running again.


If they're that cheap would they risk spending money on what people on an internet forum said? Better safe than sorry, should just get them to shell out for something new.

Something that ancient, hardware is going to be absurdly disproportionate in cost, so it's actually better to just go new.
jaj22
Profile Joined September 2009
United Kingdom1376 Posts
May 23 2012 22:13 GMT
#2818
If it's really 10 years old then you should be able to get a better PC for free. Definitely not worth the hassle of replacing a motherboard anyway.

Sovano
Profile Joined November 2011
United States1503 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-23 22:15:25
May 23 2012 22:13 GMT
#2819
On May 24 2012 07:08 JingleHell wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 24 2012 06:59 Sovano wrote:
Well I just tried the paperclip method. My PSU is functional, so it's not dead. Could that mean that it is my mobo? My computer is like literally 10 years old, but my parents are so gosh darn cheap, so they'd replace a mobo if that's all it took to get the secondary computer running again.


If they're that cheap would they risk spending money on what people on an internet forum said? Better safe than sorry, should just get them to shell out for something new.

Something that ancient, hardware is going to be absurdly disproportionate in cost, so it's actually better to just go new.

I would imagine their logic would be that if you could spend a fraction of the cost to fix an old computer instead of buying a whole new computer, they'd rather fix a old one, they'd rather fix the old one. Plus they can just RMA it, which I had to do with my last HDD. Typical asian parents haha, at least where I live that's how it goes.

But yeah I've been trying to convince them for a while now lol. I haven't told them about the computer yet, and I was able to fix it last time. Although this time around I'm not so sure. I've always been using really low-end computers, so I'm used to it.

Any clue if I can build a desktop for like $400-$500 that can run sc2 1v1 on low settings decently well? I'd probably pitch in my own money if a desktop can be built that cheap.
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
May 23 2012 22:17 GMT
#2820
On May 24 2012 07:13 Sovano wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 24 2012 07:08 JingleHell wrote:
On May 24 2012 06:59 Sovano wrote:
Well I just tried the paperclip method. My PSU is functional, so it's not dead. Could that mean that it is my mobo? My computer is like literally 10 years old, but my parents are so gosh darn cheap, so they'd replace a mobo if that's all it took to get the secondary computer running again.


If they're that cheap would they risk spending money on what people on an internet forum said? Better safe than sorry, should just get them to shell out for something new.

Something that ancient, hardware is going to be absurdly disproportionate in cost, so it's actually better to just go new.

I would imagine their logic would be that if you could spend a fraction of the cost instead of buying a whole new computer to fix a old one, they'd rather fix the old one. Plus they can just RMA it, which I had to do with my last HDD. Typical asian parents haha, at least where I live that's how it goes.

But yeah I've been trying to convince them for a while now lol. I haven't told them about the computer yet, and I was able to fix it last time. Although this time around I'm not so sure. I've always been using really low-end computers, so I'm used to it.


Uhm, there's always the option of temporarily removing the CPU cooler and booting it over and over until it won't boot anymore to convince them it needs to be replaced. Just put the cooler back on before you tell them.

Uhm, bear in mind, this WILL damage your CPU. Which is kind of the idea.

You seriously shouldn't be even considering replacing a motherboard on something that old. Odds are, it will cost 45-50% of what a new low end rig would cost, especially if you already have a new HDD.
Prev 1 139 140 141 142 143 653 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Monday Night Weeklies
01:00
#66
TKL 1461
RotterdaM969
TaKeTV 376
IndyStarCraft 204
SteadfastSC183
ZombieGrub108
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
TKL 1461
RotterdaM 969
MaxPax 224
IndyStarCraft 204
SteadfastSC 183
RuFF_SC2 131
ZombieGrub108
UpATreeSC 78
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 2633
Shuttle 456
Dewaltoss 114
910 66
Mind 59
Bale 14
Counter-Strike
pashabiceps1117
Fnx 692
Heroes of the Storm
Liquid`Hasu831
Other Games
summit1g3666
Grubby3088
Beastyqt741
shahzam496
C9.Mang0171
mouzStarbuck127
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV257
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream21
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• kabyraGe 180
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Eskiya23 27
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• TFBlade546
Other Games
• imaqtpie657
• Shiphtur316
Upcoming Events
Replay Cast
2h 43m
Afreeca Starleague
13h 43m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
14h 43m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 3h
Patches Events
1d 19h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
OSC
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.