• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:58
CEST 22:58
KST 05:58
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8714 users

Simple Questions Simple Answers - Page 142

Forum Index > Tech Support
Post a Reply
Prev 1 140 141 142 143 144 653 Next
Nuttyguy
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United Kingdom1526 Posts
May 23 2012 22:17 GMT
#2821
On May 24 2012 06:39 TheToast wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 23 2012 21:05 Nuttyguy wrote:
I have a d3 icon in my task bar and i cant remove it, cant right click on it. When i open d3 it opens another window.
[image loading]
How do i remove it?


It looks like it's just a pinned Start Menu shortcut, which when utilizing the "vista" setup of the Windows 7 task bar just sit there. Should be able to right click on it and select "unpin from start menu" or just click and drag it to the trash.

Not right clickable. im on w7 fyi.
Sovano
Profile Joined November 2011
United States1503 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-23 22:21:02
May 23 2012 22:20 GMT
#2822
On May 24 2012 07:17 JingleHell wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 24 2012 07:13 Sovano wrote:
On May 24 2012 07:08 JingleHell wrote:
On May 24 2012 06:59 Sovano wrote:
Well I just tried the paperclip method. My PSU is functional, so it's not dead. Could that mean that it is my mobo? My computer is like literally 10 years old, but my parents are so gosh darn cheap, so they'd replace a mobo if that's all it took to get the secondary computer running again.


If they're that cheap would they risk spending money on what people on an internet forum said? Better safe than sorry, should just get them to shell out for something new.

Something that ancient, hardware is going to be absurdly disproportionate in cost, so it's actually better to just go new.

I would imagine their logic would be that if you could spend a fraction of the cost instead of buying a whole new computer to fix a old one, they'd rather fix the old one. Plus they can just RMA it, which I had to do with my last HDD. Typical asian parents haha, at least where I live that's how it goes.

But yeah I've been trying to convince them for a while now lol. I haven't told them about the computer yet, and I was able to fix it last time. Although this time around I'm not so sure. I've always been using really low-end computers, so I'm used to it.


Uhm, there's always the option of temporarily removing the CPU cooler and booting it over and over until it won't boot anymore to convince them it needs to be replaced. Just put the cooler back on before you tell them.

Uhm, bear in mind, this WILL damage your CPU. Which is kind of the idea.

You seriously shouldn't be even considering replacing a motherboard on something that old. Odds are, it will cost 45-50% of what a new low end rig would cost, especially if you already have a new HDD.

Oh I my post while you were posting your post. Was asking if I can build a cheap desktop at the end. Anyways, they don't know anything about electronics, so there's no need to do anything rash like that lol. I'm the only one in my entire family that knows a darn thing about computers.
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-23 22:24:03
May 23 2012 22:22 GMT
#2823
On May 24 2012 07:20 Sovano wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 24 2012 07:17 JingleHell wrote:
On May 24 2012 07:13 Sovano wrote:
On May 24 2012 07:08 JingleHell wrote:
On May 24 2012 06:59 Sovano wrote:
Well I just tried the paperclip method. My PSU is functional, so it's not dead. Could that mean that it is my mobo? My computer is like literally 10 years old, but my parents are so gosh darn cheap, so they'd replace a mobo if that's all it took to get the secondary computer running again.


If they're that cheap would they risk spending money on what people on an internet forum said? Better safe than sorry, should just get them to shell out for something new.

Something that ancient, hardware is going to be absurdly disproportionate in cost, so it's actually better to just go new.

I would imagine their logic would be that if you could spend a fraction of the cost instead of buying a whole new computer to fix a old one, they'd rather fix the old one. Plus they can just RMA it, which I had to do with my last HDD. Typical asian parents haha, at least where I live that's how it goes.

But yeah I've been trying to convince them for a while now lol. I haven't told them about the computer yet, and I was able to fix it last time. Although this time around I'm not so sure. I've always been using really low-end computers, so I'm used to it.


Uhm, there's always the option of temporarily removing the CPU cooler and booting it over and over until it won't boot anymore to convince them it needs to be replaced. Just put the cooler back on before you tell them.

Uhm, bear in mind, this WILL damage your CPU. Which is kind of the idea.

You seriously shouldn't be even considering replacing a motherboard on something that old. Odds are, it will cost 45-50% of what a new low end rig would cost, especially if you already have a new HDD.

Oh I my post while you were posting your post. Was asking if I can build a cheap desktop at the end. Anyways, they don't know anything about electronics, so there's no need to do anything rash like that lol. I'm the only one in my entire family that knows a darn thing about computers.


Since you said you just got a new HDD, $400-500 for something infinitely better is feasible. I'm terrible at the pricematch game, but there's some guys in the build resource thread who have fun with it.

Basically, cheap intel rig with a lower end gaming graphics card should be possible to squeeze.
Sovano
Profile Joined November 2011
United States1503 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-23 22:25:39
May 23 2012 22:24 GMT
#2824
On May 24 2012 07:22 JingleHell wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 24 2012 07:20 Sovano wrote:
On May 24 2012 07:17 JingleHell wrote:
On May 24 2012 07:13 Sovano wrote:
On May 24 2012 07:08 JingleHell wrote:
On May 24 2012 06:59 Sovano wrote:
Well I just tried the paperclip method. My PSU is functional, so it's not dead. Could that mean that it is my mobo? My computer is like literally 10 years old, but my parents are so gosh darn cheap, so they'd replace a mobo if that's all it took to get the secondary computer running again.


If they're that cheap would they risk spending money on what people on an internet forum said? Better safe than sorry, should just get them to shell out for something new.

Something that ancient, hardware is going to be absurdly disproportionate in cost, so it's actually better to just go new.

I would imagine their logic would be that if you could spend a fraction of the cost instead of buying a whole new computer to fix a old one, they'd rather fix the old one. Plus they can just RMA it, which I had to do with my last HDD. Typical asian parents haha, at least where I live that's how it goes.

But yeah I've been trying to convince them for a while now lol. I haven't told them about the computer yet, and I was able to fix it last time. Although this time around I'm not so sure. I've always been using really low-end computers, so I'm used to it.


Uhm, there's always the option of temporarily removing the CPU cooler and booting it over and over until it won't boot anymore to convince them it needs to be replaced. Just put the cooler back on before you tell them.

Uhm, bear in mind, this WILL damage your CPU. Which is kind of the idea.

You seriously shouldn't be even considering replacing a motherboard on something that old. Odds are, it will cost 45-50% of what a new low end rig would cost, especially if you already have a new HDD.

Oh I my post while you were posting your post. Was asking if I can build a cheap desktop at the end. Anyways, they don't know anything about electronics, so there's no need to do anything rash like that lol. I'm the only one in my entire family that knows a darn thing about computers.


Since you said you just got a new HDD, $400-500 for something infinitely better is feasible.

No actually I RMA'd the HDD since it had a blue screen error. It was only $20 lol. I'll ask them tonight if I can build a new one then. Hopefully they'll agree. Anyways thanks for the help everyone.
minitelemaster
Profile Joined May 2011
United States95 Posts
May 24 2012 03:41 GMT
#2825
I have a 4 year old 640GB seagate HDD. Today, a dialogue box kept popping up, reading "hard disk problem." Does this mean for certain that the HDD is dying, or could it be a driver, mobo, ram, etc. problem. What are the best ways that I can go about diagnosing this problem?

Chkdsk showed up with no errors, so I assume it's something with the SMART monitoring.

Btw I'm on win7 64bit, and I recently installed a new mobo+cpu+ram into the machine.

Thanks!
Bite my shiny metal @$$
jaj22
Profile Joined September 2009
United Kingdom1376 Posts
May 24 2012 05:01 GMT
#2826
On May 24 2012 12:41 minitelemaster wrote:
I have a 4 year old 640GB seagate HDD. Today, a dialogue box kept popping up, reading "hard disk problem." Does this mean for certain that the HDD is dying, or could it be a driver, mobo, ram, etc. problem. What are the best ways that I can go about diagnosing this problem?

Well, if it really says "hard disk problem", it's probably just malware.

If you're paraphrasing the message, don't do that in a tech support thread.

minitelemaster
Profile Joined May 2011
United States95 Posts
May 24 2012 05:15 GMT
#2827
On May 24 2012 14:01 jaj22 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 24 2012 12:41 minitelemaster wrote:
I have a 4 year old 640GB seagate HDD. Today, a dialogue box kept popping up, reading "hard disk problem." Does this mean for certain that the HDD is dying, or could it be a driver, mobo, ram, etc. problem. What are the best ways that I can go about diagnosing this problem?

Well, if it really says "hard disk problem", it's probably just malware.

If you're paraphrasing the message, don't do that in a tech support thread.


It's not malware, the exact dialogue box can be seen here. It's a well documented issue, but there are few answers and explanations online. I'm just wondering how I verify completely that the HDD is the problem, as well as any other troubleshooting tips people have.
Bite my shiny metal @$$
TheArtisan
Profile Joined January 2012
Australia26 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-24 10:53:17
May 24 2012 05:30 GMT
#2828
hello how do i get rid of the MSY logo?
[image loading]
hello everyone
Firkraag8
Profile Joined August 2010
Sweden1006 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-24 09:42:16
May 24 2012 09:39 GMT
#2829
[image loading]

Without overclocking will this rig stream SC2/D3 on max settings 720p using x-split without too much slowdown? (Radeon 7850 added separately.)
Too weird to live, too rare to die.
Nabutso
Profile Joined April 2011
351 Posts
May 24 2012 10:23 GMT
#2830
You want a Hyper 212+ or EVO instead of the H60, both are almost the same in cooling but the H60 costs twice as much and is a little louder.

You don't need a 650w power supply. It would be much better to go with a reliable, good quality 450w or so PSU (Your entire system will only run at about 275 watts max load)
Firkraag8
Profile Joined August 2010
Sweden1006 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-24 11:08:33
May 24 2012 11:03 GMT
#2831
I don't need this strong of a PSU today, you're right. But next time I upgrade say GPU I will not regret having a good, quality PSU. Also running the computer under 50% load will ensure cool and quiet until then. I also am not a big fan of heavy bulky air coolers.

While I appreciate your concern, my question was regarding stream performance.
Too weird to live, too rare to die.
iKill[ShocK]
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
Vietnam3530 Posts
May 24 2012 11:12 GMT
#2832
you won't need it, GPU power consumption has lowered significantly this generation, probably be the same for next gen too. A good quality 450w will be as silent as any other PSU. But if you insist go ahead.

And yes it will do your stream @ 720p if you overclock a little.
<3 Kim Taeyeon
MisterJulianMan
Profile Joined May 2012
19 Posts
May 24 2012 21:08 GMT
#2833
i just got a 2700k and an asrock z77 pro3 motherboard. everything was going fine until tried to install the drivers on the CD that came with the board. It just shut down without any notice and will not boot into w7. It will either blue screen or give me the option to restore the pc my other specs are.

His 6870
8gb microcenter ram
corsair ax650

please and thank you for helping.
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
May 24 2012 21:27 GMT
#2834
On May 25 2012 06:08 MisterJulianMan wrote:
i just got a 2700k and an asrock z77 pro3 motherboard. everything was going fine until tried to install the drivers on the CD that came with the board. It just shut down without any notice and will not boot into w7. It will either blue screen or give me the option to restore the pc my other specs are.

His 6870
8gb microcenter ram
corsair ax650

please and thank you for helping.


Go to the Asrock site and DL the chipset drivers through them, you'll have newer versions that way anyway.
jaj22
Profile Joined September 2009
United Kingdom1376 Posts
May 24 2012 21:41 GMT
#2835
On May 24 2012 14:15 minitelemaster wrote:
It's not malware, the exact dialogue box can be seen here. It's a well documented issue, but there are few answers and explanations online. I'm just wondering how I verify completely that the HDD is the problem, as well as any other troubleshooting tips people have.

Well, that's probably real, but it's apparently undocumented by Microsoft and no-one is sure exactly what it means.

Anyway, get CrystalDiskInfo and post a complete screenshot (one with all the information visible in the vertical scrolling box).

MisterJulianMan
Profile Joined May 2012
19 Posts
May 24 2012 22:16 GMT
#2836
I dled the drivers and windows updates but still got errors/bsod I don't know what to do
minitelemaster
Profile Joined May 2011
United States95 Posts
May 24 2012 23:34 GMT
#2837
On May 25 2012 06:41 jaj22 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 24 2012 14:15 minitelemaster wrote:
It's not malware, the exact dialogue box can be seen here. It's a well documented issue, but there are few answers and explanations online. I'm just wondering how I verify completely that the HDD is the problem, as well as any other troubleshooting tips people have.

Well, that's probably real, but it's apparently undocumented by Microsoft and no-one is sure exactly what it means.

Anyway, get CrystalDiskInfo and post a complete screenshot (one with all the information visible in the vertical scrolling box).


Thanks for the info. I'll check out CrystalDiskInfo as soon as I get home. Btw, I ran SeaTools this morning (the long test) and the HDD failed it: "SMART has been tripped."
Bite my shiny metal @$$
minitelemaster
Profile Joined May 2011
United States95 Posts
May 25 2012 01:12 GMT
#2838
On May 25 2012 06:41 jaj22 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 24 2012 14:15 minitelemaster wrote:
It's not malware, the exact dialogue box can be seen here. It's a well documented issue, but there are few answers and explanations online. I'm just wondering how I verify completely that the HDD is the problem, as well as any other troubleshooting tips people have.

Well, that's probably real, but it's apparently undocumented by Microsoft and no-one is sure exactly what it means.

Anyway, get CrystalDiskInfo and post a complete screenshot (one with all the information visible in the vertical scrolling box).


+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Here's the screenshot, hope it means something to you, as all I can decipher is that blue=good and red=bad. As you said this issue is undocumented by Microsoft, is there a possibility that malware is messing with this reading?
Bite my shiny metal @$$
jaj22
Profile Joined September 2009
United Kingdom1376 Posts
May 25 2012 02:52 GMT
#2839
Nah, Microsoft just don't bother documenting some stuff. Looks like they're actually doing some basic SMART checks in Win7.

That's definitely a dying HD. 3063 reallocated sectors and counting. It'll run out of spare sectors at ~4096. Malware wouldn't bother to hook the SMART reporting.

minitelemaster
Profile Joined May 2011
United States95 Posts
May 25 2012 04:00 GMT
#2840
On May 25 2012 11:52 jaj22 wrote:
Nah, Microsoft just don't bother documenting some stuff. Looks like they're actually doing some basic SMART checks in Win7.

That's definitely a dying HD. 3063 reallocated sectors and counting. It'll run out of spare sectors at ~4096. Malware wouldn't bother to hook the SMART reporting.



Thanks for the explanation. I'm confused though, where do you get those numbers, all I see are double and triple digit values? Also, out of curiosity I ran crystaldiskscan on another good computer and the reallocated sectors value seemed higher, but the disk was "good." What I take from this is that I don't know how to read the crystal disk information.
Bite my shiny metal @$$
Prev 1 140 141 142 143 144 653 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 2m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ZombieGrub334
RuFF_SC2 177
SteadfastSC 147
Nina 91
Nathanias 40
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 2427
Shuttle 439
Mind 71
910 60
Bale 13
Counter-Strike
Fnx 735
Super Smash Bros
PPMD12
Heroes of the Storm
Liquid`Hasu942
Other Games
summit1g6478
Grubby2583
shahzam590
ToD269
C9.Mang0198
UpATreeSC60
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream20
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• musti20045 84
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Eskiya23 35
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota21039
League of Legends
• TFBlade551
Other Games
• imaqtpie849
• Shiphtur362
Upcoming Events
Replay Cast
2h 2m
Afreeca Starleague
13h 2m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
14h 2m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 3h
Patches Events
1d 19h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
OSC
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.