• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:59
CEST 22:59
KST 05:59
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8661 users

Simple Questions Simple Answers - Page 139

Forum Index > Tech Support
Post a Reply
Prev 1 137 138 139 140 141 653 Next
Myrmidon
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States9452 Posts
May 21 2012 05:04 GMT
#2761
On May 21 2012 13:26 Nabutso wrote:
Quick quesstion: Can I SLI a 680 and a 670? I know you can Xfire certain AMD cards that aren't the exact same card, so I'm just wondering. I'm not getting quite the performance I want for Tera in 2560x1440 with a single 680.

AFAIK Nvidia doesn't allow different GPUs to be used in SLI, unlike AMD.

However, I wonder if you could BIOS mod a GTX 680 to a GTX 670 and then SLI with another GTX 670. If the GTX 680 can just pretend it's a GTX 670, and the drivers think you have two GT 670s...?
Rollin
Profile Joined March 2011
Australia1552 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-21 05:24:55
May 21 2012 05:24 GMT
#2762
What's the best antivirus program?

Malwarebytes passive scanning every so often, coupled with no-script in your browser.

What's the best comp-cleaning program?

You are. Fresh Windows reinstall every 12-24 months as well I'd recommend.
Throw off those chains of reason, and your prison disappears. | Check your posting frequency timeline: http://www.teamliquid.net/mytlnet/post_activity_img.php
OneBaseKing
Profile Blog Joined April 2012
Afghanistan412 Posts
May 21 2012 07:56 GMT
#2763
What's the best comp-cleaning program?

You are. Fresh Windows reinstall every 12-24 months as well I'd recommend.[/QUOTE]

Lol are you serious?
EdenPLusDucky
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
571 Posts
May 21 2012 07:57 GMT
#2764
On May 21 2012 09:35 bbrian wrote:
What's the best antivirus program?
What's the best comp-cleaning program?


None, all you need is a HIPS firewall and know what you're doing. As long as you educate yourself and don't do anything stupid, its fine.

CCleaner is pretty popular.
OneBaseKing
Profile Blog Joined April 2012
Afghanistan412 Posts
May 21 2012 08:04 GMT
#2765
On May 21 2012 16:57 EdenPLusDucky wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 21 2012 09:35 bbrian wrote:
What's the best antivirus program?
What's the best comp-cleaning program?


None, all you need is a HIPS firewall and know what you're doing. As long as you educate yourself and don't do anything stupid, its fine.

CCleaner is pretty popular.


How can I set up an HIPS firewall?
Rollin
Profile Joined March 2011
Australia1552 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-21 08:05:39
May 21 2012 08:05 GMT
#2766
On May 21 2012 16:56 bbrian wrote:
Lol are you serious?

I am serious. Unless you were referring to cleaning the hardware (like from dust and such)?
Throw off those chains of reason, and your prison disappears. | Check your posting frequency timeline: http://www.teamliquid.net/mytlnet/post_activity_img.php
AceLight
Profile Joined March 2012
New Zealand220 Posts
May 21 2012 08:16 GMT
#2767
When I open SC2 on my external monitor (1920 x 1080p) for some reason it seems very zoomed in. Any way to change that?
Rollin
Profile Joined March 2011
Australia1552 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-21 08:37:34
May 21 2012 08:24 GMT
#2768
On May 21 2012 17:16 AceLight wrote:
When I open SC2 on my external monitor (1920 x 1080p) for some reason it seems very zoomed in. Any way to change that?

Is the ingame resolution 1920*1080 (or a different 16;9 resolution)? All the 16;9 resolutions will have the most screen space, the 16:10 resolutions will have slightly less, and the 3:4 resolutions will have the least.

Here's a comparison: [image loading]

EDIT:
gets me every time
Throw off those chains of reason, and your prison disappears. | Check your posting frequency timeline: http://www.teamliquid.net/mytlnet/post_activity_img.php
crappen
Profile Joined April 2010
Norway1546 Posts
May 21 2012 10:27 GMT
#2769
I see Eizo monitors everywhere, especially in tournaments. Is there something amazing about these monitors, or can I safely buy a Dell U2711 without feeling fucked 1month later as I learned,, something new.

taldarimAltar
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
973 Posts
May 21 2012 10:55 GMT
#2770
Do I need all drivers on my motherboard website? I don't know if I need:

Intel Management Engine driver ver:7.0.4.1197
Intel Rapid Start driver ver:1.0.0.1014
Intel Smart Connect driver ver:2.0.1083.0
Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver ver:1.0.1.0.1008_PV

I'm using an ASRock H61M/U3S3
Womwomwom
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
5930 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-21 12:06:23
May 21 2012 11:49 GMT
#2771
On May 21 2012 19:27 crappen wrote:
I see Eizo monitors everywhere, especially in tournaments. Is there something amazing about these monitors, or can I safely buy a Dell U2711 without feeling fucked 1month later as I learned,, something new.


+ Show Spoiler [Boring Eizo monitor chat] +
Eizo monitors are all really good. However most are very, very, very expensive and most are geared towards professional industries (i.e. manufacturing, medical, air traffic control, print media). They are probably not the monitors you are looking for and I probably wouldn't get them unless they are cheap. The NEC PA271 is probably a better choice, if you're looking for a professional photo-editing monitor, since they're generally quite a bit cheaper and pack the same sort of features.

What you get in these professional monitors are features such as:
- Hardware calibration.
- Specialized calibration software to deal with specific monitors (IIRC NEC's is very good)
- 16 bit lookup tables
- Panel uniformity and panel temperature correction. Greatly improves uniformity but tends to decrease contrast.

These features are bloody esoteric and not useful at all for the majority of users. Those that want these features will pay a lot of them.


You most likely won't regret getting the Dell U2711 over a 27" Eizo Flexscan for instance. For a typical user, there shouldn't be a real difference between a Dell or an Eizo. Eizo 27" monitors will be better built and have professional features but that's not worth 3x the price if you're unable to benefit from them.

Anyway, the monitor that you see in tournaments would be the Eizo Foris FS2332, which is a 23" 1920x1080 monitor. As far as I know, its pretty well priced in Scandinavia (~$300 USD) for some reason...all Eizo monitors seem to be. Here is a very complete review of the FS2332 if you care at all.
crappen
Profile Joined April 2010
Norway1546 Posts
May 21 2012 13:20 GMT
#2772
On May 21 2012 20:49 Womwomwom wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 21 2012 19:27 crappen wrote:
I see Eizo monitors everywhere, especially in tournaments. Is there something amazing about these monitors, or can I safely buy a Dell U2711 without feeling fucked 1month later as I learned,, something new.


+ Show Spoiler [Boring Eizo monitor chat] +
Eizo monitors are all really good. However most are very, very, very expensive and most are geared towards professional industries (i.e. manufacturing, medical, air traffic control, print media). They are probably not the monitors you are looking for and I probably wouldn't get them unless they are cheap. The NEC PA271 is probably a better choice, if you're looking for a professional photo-editing monitor, since they're generally quite a bit cheaper and pack the same sort of features.

What you get in these professional monitors are features such as:
- Hardware calibration.
- Specialized calibration software to deal with specific monitors (IIRC NEC's is very good)
- 16 bit lookup tables
- Panel uniformity and panel temperature correction. Greatly improves uniformity but tends to decrease contrast.

These features are bloody esoteric and not useful at all for the majority of users. Those that want these features will pay a lot of them.


You most likely won't regret getting the Dell U2711 over a 27" Eizo Flexscan for instance. For a typical user, there shouldn't be a real difference between a Dell or an Eizo. Eizo 27" monitors will be better built and have professional features but that's not worth 3x the price if you're unable to benefit from them.

Anyway, the monitor that you see in tournaments would be the Eizo Foris FS2332, which is a 23" 1920x1080 monitor. As far as I know, its pretty well priced in Scandinavia (~$300 USD) for some reason...all Eizo monitors seem to be. Here is a very complete review of the FS2332 if you care at all.


Thank you, but as time went on, I went and bought a Eizo 23" LED FlexScan EV2335W-GB. Hope I wont regret. Half the price, but a lot smaller, which I dont care that much about.
Womwomwom
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
5930 Posts
May 21 2012 13:31 GMT
#2773
Yeah I posted in the Monitor thread. You bought a different monitor but its a sidegrade at worst. You don't get the 10 bit LUT but you *do* get a nice spring loaded stand and you don't have to deal with that easy-to-lose remote.
Whatson
Profile Blog Joined January 2012
United States5357 Posts
May 21 2012 15:55 GMT
#2774
Terribly sorry if this question has been asked before . I recently redownloaded SC2 onto a new laptop. On my old laptop, I loved to listen to music/streams through my headphones while playing, but on my new computer for some reason whenever I try to play music/streams and play SC2 at the same time, all sounds go through the laptop's individual speakers. Is there a way to solve this problem without having to run the Blizzard gauntlet?
¯\_(シ)_/¯
hefty
Profile Joined January 2005
Denmark555 Posts
May 21 2012 16:26 GMT
#2775
Hi

I recently bought an Arctic Freezer pro13 for my CPU as it needed cooling. The cooler is a bit big though and doesn't leave enough room for my current RAM sticks to go into slot 1 although plenty of room for slot 2,3, and 4.

My question is now. Is there any way to reconfigure slots so I can run on slot 3,4 or 2,3?

If not, another idea is to get some smaller RAM sticks that could fit even when the cooler is in place. I could then move my current to slot 3,4. My father may have some small spare sticks, but if those are older and slower than my current, would this mean I bottle necked my system and got an overall worse performance? Is there any way around this - for instance making the small, slow sticks run as "slaves" or simply "dummies" to allow the better sticks to work?`

My current RAM:
2x http://www.corsair.com/cmx4gx3m2a1600c9.html

My MB:
ASRock M3A770DE

Cooler:
http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/cooling/cpu/365/freezer-13-pro.html

CPU:
AMD Phenom II X4

TheToast
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States4808 Posts
May 21 2012 16:49 GMT
#2776
On May 22 2012 01:26 hefty wrote:
Hi

I recently bought an Arctic Freezer pro13 for my CPU as it needed cooling. The cooler is a bit big though and doesn't leave enough room for my current RAM sticks to go into slot 1 although plenty of room for slot 2,3, and 4.

My question is now. Is there any way to reconfigure slots so I can run on slot 3,4 or 2,3?

If not, another idea is to get some smaller RAM sticks that could fit even when the cooler is in place. I could then move my current to slot 3,4. My father may have some small spare sticks, but if those are older and slower than my current, would this mean I bottle necked my system and got an overall worse performance? Is there any way around this - for instance making the small, slow sticks run as "slaves" or simply "dummies" to allow the better sticks to work?`

My current RAM:
2x http://www.corsair.com/cmx4gx3m2a1600c9.html

My MB:
ASRock M3A770DE

Cooler:
http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/cooling/cpu/365/freezer-13-pro.html

CPU:
AMD Phenom II X4



I'm assuming what you mean by slots three and four is channel B dimm 0 and dimm 1 slots? So you're talking about having both dimms in channel B and leaving channel A empty, correct?

You should be fine. + Show Spoiler [caveat] +
I know for a fact a few Intel boards that come standard in HP models have firmware that requires a dimm to be in channel A. It's firmware that basically controls the fan speed and slows down the fans when the temps are low, reducing noise. It by default tries to load in channel A dimm1, and if there's no dimm there is simple doesn't load and the system fans stay on full blast no matter what. PC will still run fine, just gets annoying. I have no idea if AS Rock runs any backend firmware like that, easiest way to find out would be to try it. If it works, you should be just fine. (my guess this stupid firmware is endemic to certain intel boards only)


The only issue is that your memory controller won't be able to run in dual channel mode. For gaming, that means for the most part nothing. If you do anything memory intensive such as video encoding you might see a considerable performance difference. But it sounds to me like you had the memory installed incorrectly in the first place (dual channel mode would require one dimm in each slot) so you may see no difference at all.

As far as installing slower RAM, the memory controller will just run all RAM at the speed of the slowest dimm; but you would likely see no major performace differences in gaming applications.
I like the way the walls go out. Gives you an open feeling. Firefly's a good design. People don't appreciate the substance of things. Objects in space. People miss out on what's solid.
hefty
Profile Joined January 2005
Denmark555 Posts
May 21 2012 17:20 GMT
#2777
On May 22 2012 01:49 TheToast wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 22 2012 01:26 hefty wrote:+ Show Spoiler +

Hi

I recently bought an Arctic Freezer pro13 for my CPU as it needed cooling. The cooler is a bit big though and doesn't leave enough room for my current RAM sticks to go into slot 1 although plenty of room for slot 2,3, and 4.

My question is now. Is there any way to reconfigure slots so I can run on slot 3,4 or 2,3?

If not, another idea is to get some smaller RAM sticks that could fit even when the cooler is in place. I could then move my current to slot 3,4. My father may have some small spare sticks, but if those are older and slower than my current, would this mean I bottle necked my system and got an overall worse performance? Is there any way around this - for instance making the small, slow sticks run as "slaves" or simply "dummies" to allow the better sticks to work?`

My current RAM:
2x http://www.corsair.com/cmx4gx3m2a1600c9.html

My MB:
ASRock M3A770DE

Cooler:
http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/cooling/cpu/365/freezer-13-pro.html

CPU:
AMD Phenom II X4



I'm assuming what you mean by slots three and four is channel B dimm 0 and dimm 1 slots? So you're talking about having both dimms in channel B and leaving channel A empty, correct?


Just opened my case but couldn't see any notation like "dimm 0" etc. To make sure we are talking about the same thing:

[image loading]

I called the slots 1,2,3,4 from top down. So 1 2 is really called dimm 0 and 1 in channel A and 3 4 are dimm 0 1 channel B if I understand correctly.
On May 22 2012 01:49 TheToast wrote:You should be fine. + Show Spoiler [caveat] +
I know for a fact a few Intel boards that come standard in HP models have firmware that requires a dimm to be in channel A. It's firmware that basically controls the fan speed and slows down the fans when the temps are low, reducing noise. It by default tries to load in channel A dimm1, and if there's no dimm there is simple doesn't load and the system fans stay on full blast no matter what. PC will still run fine, just gets annoying. I have no idea if AS Rock runs any backend firmware like that, easiest way to find out would be to try it. If it works, you should be just fine. (my guess this stupid firmware is endemic to certain intel boards only)

This surprise me. I didn't expect anyone to say I could simply move the RAM, I just hoped it was possible to reconfigure the slots. I already tried moving both from channel A to B. My computer wouldn't start. It just made three loud noises - Beep beep beep.
On May 22 2012 01:49 TheToast wrote:
The only issue is that your memory controller won't be able to run in dual channel mode. For gaming, that means for the most part nothing. If you do anything memory intensive such as video encoding you might see a considerable performance difference. But it sounds to me like you had the memory installed incorrectly in the first place (dual channel mode would require one dimm in each slot) so you may see no difference at all.

So this means that a better configuration would have been placing the sticks in dimm 0 on both channel A and B? Interesting. Doesn't solve the problem as dimm 0 channel A is the blocked slot, though.

On May 22 2012 01:49 TheToast wrote:
As far as installing slower RAM, the memory controller will just run all RAM at the speed of the slowest dimm; but you would likely see no major performace differences in gaming applications.

This also holds true for smaller RAM? If I can simple but 2x 256 MB RAM in channel A and my 2x2 GB in channel B and not experience trouble while gaming, that sounds okay to me.
TheToast
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States4808 Posts
May 21 2012 18:19 GMT
#2778
Yes, on a motherboard capable of running in dual channel memory mode, having equal amounts of RAM in each channel is the optimal configuration.

But assuming the motherboard doesn't have any shitty firmware that can only load on channel A dimm 0 (like intel) then you can pretty much put the RAM in any configuration you want.

This also holds true for smaller RAM? If I can simple but 2x 256 MB RAM in channel A and my 2x2 GB in channel B and not experience trouble while gaming, that sounds okay to me.


As long as it's DDR3, you can put it in your motherboard without issue (I doubt the 256 dimms are DDR3 though). If it's slower, the memory controller will just run all your RAM at the slowest speed, which is unlikely to affect gaming performance at all.
I like the way the walls go out. Gives you an open feeling. Firefly's a good design. People don't appreciate the substance of things. Objects in space. People miss out on what's solid.
hefty
Profile Joined January 2005
Denmark555 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-21 19:58:38
May 21 2012 19:58 GMT
#2779
On May 22 2012 03:19 TheToast wrote:But assuming the motherboard doesn't have any shitty firmware that can only load on channel A dimm 0 (like intel) then you can pretty much put the RAM in any configuration you want.

We have established that my MB has shitty firmware then. I guess my easiest fix is getting some dimensionally low DDR3 dimms then.
Zushen
Profile Joined June 2011
275 Posts
May 21 2012 21:51 GMT
#2780
im about to go to microcenter in about 30 mins to get a new 2011 i7 and board, how do i prepare my system for it? (erase everything?)
Prev 1 137 138 139 140 141 653 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 1m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ZombieGrub334
RuFF_SC2 177
SteadfastSC 147
Nina 91
Nathanias 40
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 2427
Shuttle 439
Mind 71
910 60
Bale 13
Counter-Strike
Fnx 735
Super Smash Bros
PPMD12
Heroes of the Storm
Liquid`Hasu942
Other Games
summit1g6478
Grubby2583
shahzam590
ToD269
C9.Mang0198
UpATreeSC60
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream20
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• musti20045 84
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Eskiya23 35
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota21039
League of Legends
• TFBlade551
Other Games
• imaqtpie849
• Shiphtur362
Upcoming Events
Replay Cast
2h 1m
Afreeca Starleague
13h 1m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
14h 1m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 3h
Patches Events
1d 19h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
OSC
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.