• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 03:53
CEST 09:53
KST 16:53
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War435.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror TL Sidebar missing streams Bot on ladder Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8914 users

Simple Questions Simple Answers - Page 113

Forum Index > Tech Support
Post a Reply
Prev 1 111 112 113 114 115 653 Next
Rachnar
Profile Joined October 2010
France1526 Posts
April 24 2012 22:37 GMT
#2241
low settings won't be an issue, you can go up to high with that gpu

you will have issues in very lategame (creeps, mass lings, an so on), 3v3, 4v4, etc... anythign that needs a ton of calculation
"What if it's a triple DK ?" "Then we cry" "Prepare your handkerchief then ..."
XXhkXX
Profile Joined June 2011
170 Posts
April 24 2012 22:48 GMT
#2242
On April 25 2012 07:37 Rachnar wrote:
low settings won't be an issue, you can go up to high with that gpu

you will have issues in very lategame (creeps, mass lings, an so on), 3v3, 4v4, etc... anythign that needs a ton of calculation


do you think that that comp would be able to stay above 30fps in big fights on low settings though?
Pwnographics
Profile Joined January 2011
New Zealand1097 Posts
April 25 2012 00:33 GMT
#2243
Undervolting laptop CPU, good/bad idea?
TheToast
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States4808 Posts
April 25 2012 00:49 GMT
#2244
On April 25 2012 09:33 Pwnographics wrote:
Undervolting laptop CPU, good/bad idea?


Lol, that is not a simple question.

If I were to boil it down, I'd say it's "risky". If you don't know what you're doing, messing with hardware voltage settings can really cock things up. I'd say if you're not having serious issues with heat or battery life, it's probably not worth it.

If you are going to try it, just make sure you've read your way though a good guide (or two or three) and have a good understanding of what you are doing. And backup data before hand.
I like the way the walls go out. Gives you an open feeling. Firefly's a good design. People don't appreciate the substance of things. Objects in space. People miss out on what's solid.
Mordanis
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States893 Posts
April 25 2012 05:25 GMT
#2245
Hey, could I stream SC2 at ~480p with this setup?
i3 2120
HD 6870
4 gb RAM
And for internet, I get about 8.5 mbps down and 4.25 mbps up.
Thanks!
I love the smell of napalm in the morning... it smells like... victory. -_^ Favorite SC2 match ->Liquid`HerO vs. SlayerS CranK g.1 @MLG Summer Championship
iKill[ShocK]
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
Vietnam3530 Posts
April 25 2012 06:56 GMT
#2246
probably not.
<3 Kim Taeyeon
Medrea
Profile Joined May 2011
10003 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-25 07:55:31
April 25 2012 07:55 GMT
#2247
On April 25 2012 14:25 Mordanis wrote:
Hey, could I stream SC2 at ~480p with this setup?
i3 2120
HD 6870
4 gb RAM
And for internet, I get about 8.5 mbps down and 4.25 mbps up.
Thanks!


Your internet supports it (nominally) but thats a tall order for your processor.
twitch.tv/medrea
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
April 25 2012 12:11 GMT
#2248
The internet is definitely fine, but your CPU would cry, and you'd lose game performance big time. You'd probably need to be playing on low CPU settings, and lategame might get painful.

I'd suggest testing whether it's even worth doing with FMLE and VHSC since they're free, using the unit tester to see what happens with large food count.
Termi
Profile Joined March 2012
Denmark23 Posts
April 25 2012 14:22 GMT
#2249
Is it possible to play starcraft 2 sounds through my headset and then music through my speakers?
They are both connected, and at random times i get it to work...
But are there any way to make it work at all times?

- They are connected through a jack, one in the front the other in the back.
infinity21 *
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Canada6683 Posts
April 25 2012 15:27 GMT
#2250
Is this laptop worth it for the price? http://canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=710_577_368&item_id=047584
I'm mainly looking for a portable laptop with at least 5-6 hours of usable battery life to watch videos and a strong enough CPU to run code on the go. I already have a desktop to do any gaming so I don't need a high-end GPU (plus they kill battery life). One arbitrary constraint I have is that I want a laptop that's <1" thick for portability. If anyone knows of some good alternatives, I would appreciate any input. Thanks
Official Entusman #21
TheToast
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States4808 Posts
April 25 2012 15:35 GMT
#2251
On April 26 2012 00:27 infinity21 wrote:
Is this laptop worth it for the price? http://canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=710_577_368&item_id=047584
I'm mainly looking for a portable laptop with at least 5-6 hours of usable battery life to watch videos and a strong enough CPU to run code on the go. I already have a desktop to do any gaming so I don't need a high-end GPU (plus they kill battery life). One arbitrary constraint I have is that I want a laptop that's <1" thick for portability. If anyone knows of some good alternatives, I would appreciate any input. Thanks


That's not bad for $650. Though I'd be curious to find out if that HDD was 5200rpm or 7200rpm, as the former could hold back the performance quite a bit in certain applications. 4GB RAM is a bit low, but that can be upgraded very easily and cheaply.

I've no experience with MSI, so I can't speak to build quality. However, in my experience when something is significantly cheaper than the competition, there's usually a good reason for it. You can see here that a similar Asus model on New egg is almost $200 more. That sort of worries me, it shouldn't be that much cheaper. See if you can find some reviews for it on New Egg or elsewhere on the internet.
I like the way the walls go out. Gives you an open feeling. Firefly's a good design. People don't appreciate the substance of things. Objects in space. People miss out on what's solid.
infinity21 *
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Canada6683 Posts
April 25 2012 16:27 GMT
#2252
On April 26 2012 00:35 TheToast wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 26 2012 00:27 infinity21 wrote:
Is this laptop worth it for the price? http://canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=710_577_368&item_id=047584
I'm mainly looking for a portable laptop with at least 5-6 hours of usable battery life to watch videos and a strong enough CPU to run code on the go. I already have a desktop to do any gaming so I don't need a high-end GPU (plus they kill battery life). One arbitrary constraint I have is that I want a laptop that's <1" thick for portability. If anyone knows of some good alternatives, I would appreciate any input. Thanks


That's not bad for $650. Though I'd be curious to find out if that HDD was 5200rpm or 7200rpm, as the former could hold back the performance quite a bit in certain applications. 4GB RAM is a bit low, but that can be upgraded very easily and cheaply.

I've no experience with MSI, so I can't speak to build quality. However, in my experience when something is significantly cheaper than the competition, there's usually a good reason for it. You can see here that a similar Asus model on New egg is almost $200 more. That sort of worries me, it shouldn't be that much cheaper. See if you can find some reviews for it on New Egg or elsewhere on the internet.

It doesn't seem to be a hugely popular model (not a lot of reviews vs popular consumer manufacturers like Dell, Lenovo etc.) but from the reviews I've seen, the opinion on build quality seems mixed but they all rated the laptop fairly highly.
This model was actually refreshed to include a slightly faster i5 processor and the 630M I believe. Although the 630M has almost identical performance to 540M, that could explain why it's so cheap.
What kind of applications are you referring to for HDD rpm? I'm not sure what the impact would be for me.
I think 4GB RAM is enough to cover all of my needs, as my desktop has 4GB and I've had no issues with running out of memory. But as you said, I can upgrade that very easily whenever I want.
Official Entusman #21
TheToast
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States4808 Posts
April 25 2012 17:05 GMT
#2253
On April 26 2012 01:27 infinity21 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 26 2012 00:35 TheToast wrote:
On April 26 2012 00:27 infinity21 wrote:
Is this laptop worth it for the price? http://canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=710_577_368&item_id=047584
I'm mainly looking for a portable laptop with at least 5-6 hours of usable battery life to watch videos and a strong enough CPU to run code on the go. I already have a desktop to do any gaming so I don't need a high-end GPU (plus they kill battery life). One arbitrary constraint I have is that I want a laptop that's <1" thick for portability. If anyone knows of some good alternatives, I would appreciate any input. Thanks


That's not bad for $650. Though I'd be curious to find out if that HDD was 5200rpm or 7200rpm, as the former could hold back the performance quite a bit in certain applications. 4GB RAM is a bit low, but that can be upgraded very easily and cheaply.

I've no experience with MSI, so I can't speak to build quality. However, in my experience when something is significantly cheaper than the competition, there's usually a good reason for it. You can see here that a similar Asus model on New egg is almost $200 more. That sort of worries me, it shouldn't be that much cheaper. See if you can find some reviews for it on New Egg or elsewhere on the internet.

It doesn't seem to be a hugely popular model (not a lot of reviews vs popular consumer manufacturers like Dell, Lenovo etc.) but from the reviews I've seen, the opinion on build quality seems mixed but they all rated the laptop fairly highly.
This model was actually refreshed to include a slightly faster i5 processor and the 630M I believe. Although the 630M has almost identical performance to 540M, that could explain why it's so cheap.
What kind of applications are you referring to for HDD rpm? I'm not sure what the impact would be for me.
I think 4GB RAM is enough to cover all of my needs, as my desktop has 4GB and I've had no issues with running out of memory. But as you said, I can upgrade that very easily whenever I want.


5400rpm is going to pretty drastically slow any application which is loading large amounts of data from the harddrive. Booting, encoding, backing up data to an external, loading the game in SC2, etc. are all going to be slowed down. Basically you are creating a big bottleneck in your system, the CPU can only process information as fast as it can be read from the HDD. Trust me, having gone from a 5400rpm drive to a 7200rpm drive when I got a new laptop, there was a noticable difference.

Many laptop manufacturers have switched to shipping models with a 7200rpm drive, but even just a few years ago 5400 was the standard, and some cheaper models still use them.

As far as quality issues go, that's a determination you have to make for yourself. But as I say, usually when hardware is $150-$200 cheaper than it's competitor, there's a good reason for it...
I like the way the walls go out. Gives you an open feeling. Firefly's a good design. People don't appreciate the substance of things. Objects in space. People miss out on what's solid.
Womwomwom
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
5930 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-25 17:21:33
April 25 2012 17:08 GMT
#2254
4GB is fine for Joe Consumer. 8GB is common in desktops now since DRAM manufacturers have saturated the market. 5400RPM will be slower in anything that requires I/O. This means file transfers, booting up Windows, loading programs, etc. It won't affect FPS in 99% of games. Arma II is the strange exception.

All consumer laptops are built of varying grades of shit. Right now, you can buy a i3 Thinkpad T420 for $720 though its a bit of the bulky side. It still has your typical sub 250:1 contrast ratio TN panel screen but at least it has a robust frame and a really good keyboard that should not have any give. Chuck in a few lunches and you can upgrade the panel to 1600x900 resolution, though the contrast ratio and viewing angles will still remain terrible.

I really think your <1" thick + good processor is entirely unreasonable at that price point. Even laptops like the Toshiba R830 barely meet that requirement (R830 is 1" thick exactly) and they're the definition of ultra-portable with a full sized processor/hard disk.
infinity21 *
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Canada6683 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-25 17:29:38
April 25 2012 17:23 GMT
#2255
On April 26 2012 02:05 TheToast wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 26 2012 01:27 infinity21 wrote:
On April 26 2012 00:35 TheToast wrote:
On April 26 2012 00:27 infinity21 wrote:
Is this laptop worth it for the price? http://canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=710_577_368&item_id=047584
I'm mainly looking for a portable laptop with at least 5-6 hours of usable battery life to watch videos and a strong enough CPU to run code on the go. I already have a desktop to do any gaming so I don't need a high-end GPU (plus they kill battery life). One arbitrary constraint I have is that I want a laptop that's <1" thick for portability. If anyone knows of some good alternatives, I would appreciate any input. Thanks


That's not bad for $650. Though I'd be curious to find out if that HDD was 5200rpm or 7200rpm, as the former could hold back the performance quite a bit in certain applications. 4GB RAM is a bit low, but that can be upgraded very easily and cheaply.

I've no experience with MSI, so I can't speak to build quality. However, in my experience when something is significantly cheaper than the competition, there's usually a good reason for it. You can see here that a similar Asus model on New egg is almost $200 more. That sort of worries me, it shouldn't be that much cheaper. See if you can find some reviews for it on New Egg or elsewhere on the internet.

It doesn't seem to be a hugely popular model (not a lot of reviews vs popular consumer manufacturers like Dell, Lenovo etc.) but from the reviews I've seen, the opinion on build quality seems mixed but they all rated the laptop fairly highly.
This model was actually refreshed to include a slightly faster i5 processor and the 630M I believe. Although the 630M has almost identical performance to 540M, that could explain why it's so cheap.
What kind of applications are you referring to for HDD rpm? I'm not sure what the impact would be for me.
I think 4GB RAM is enough to cover all of my needs, as my desktop has 4GB and I've had no issues with running out of memory. But as you said, I can upgrade that very easily whenever I want.


5400rpm is going to pretty drastically slow any application which is loading large amounts of data from the harddrive. Booting, encoding, backing up data to an external, loading the game in SC2, etc. are all going to be slowed down. Basically you are creating a big bottleneck in your system, the CPU can only process information as fast as it can be read from the HDD. Trust me, having gone from a 5400rpm drive to a 7200rpm drive when I got a new laptop, there was a noticable difference.

Many laptop manufacturers have switched to shipping models with a 7200rpm drive, but even just a few years ago 5400 was the standard, and some cheaper models still use them.

As far as quality issues go, that's a determination you have to make for yourself. But as I say, usually when hardware is $150-$200 cheaper than it's competitor, there's a good reason for it...

According to here, the price is actually ~$800 so I think it's just some weird discount.

I haven't bought a new laptop in 4~5 years so I'm pretty out of touch with what's standard.

@Womwomwom: By <1", I meant more like 0.9-1.1" since 0.7 is getting into ultrabook territory and those things are way too expensive for the performance. My price range is something like $700-1000 CAD but I came across this one and it seems to be a pretty good deal. Other laptops I was considering include Lenovo U400, Dell XPS 14z, Sony Vaio S, and Lenovo T420 if that helps.
Official Entusman #21
Josh_rakoons
Profile Joined December 2011
United Kingdom1158 Posts
April 25 2012 18:40 GMT
#2256
How much space will 40 hours of 1080p live stream footage take up? (rough estimate is fine)
skyR
Profile Joined July 2009
Canada13817 Posts
April 25 2012 18:45 GMT
#2257
That depends on if you're recording audio, what FPS you're recording at etc -.-

Probably like 3TB if I had to guess.
Josh_rakoons
Profile Joined December 2011
United Kingdom1158 Posts
April 25 2012 18:46 GMT
#2258
Recording audio @ 25fps

And thats a lot more than i expected.
Myrmidon
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States9452 Posts
April 25 2012 18:48 GMT
#2259
Assuming 3.2 Mbps average bitrate (a bit high for an average maybe), that's 0.4 MB/s.

0.4 MB/s * 60 s/min * 60 min/hour * 40 hours = 57600 MB = 57.6 GB.
Josh_rakoons
Profile Joined December 2011
United Kingdom1158 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-25 18:50:37
April 25 2012 18:49 GMT
#2260
Oops, sorry, forgot to mention bitrate (2750)

And thats a lot less than i expected. Are you sure thats right?
Prev 1 111 112 113 114 115 653 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 7m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Free 1379
BeSt 305
Soulkey 204
Soma 188
sorry 122
Mind 71
Bale 26
ajuk12(nOOB) 15
ZergMaN 14
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm184
League of Legends
JimRising 651
Counter-Strike
edward214
Other Games
summit1g9039
Coldzera 698
WinterStarcraft698
C9.Mang0248
Sick216
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick712
BasetradeTV188
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 6
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2200
Upcoming Events
Big Brain Bouts
2h 7m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
Online Event
4h 7m
AI Arena Tournament
9h 7m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
11h 7m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 2h
Patches Events
1d 7h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 11h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 11h
OSC
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
[ Show More ]
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.