• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:31
CEST 14:31
KST 21:31
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War445.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
$3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
TL Sidebar missing streams Mineral Boosting (2 workers/patch) BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Rollback Netcode in Brood War [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9295 users

Computer Build Resource Thread - Page 1529

Forum Index > Tech Support
Post a Reply
Prev 1 1527 1528 1529 1530 1531 1626 Next
When using this resource, please read FragKrag's opening post. The Tech Support forum regulars have helped create countless of desktop systems without any compensation. The least you can do is provide all of the information required for them to help you properly.
EmcDreams
Profile Joined August 2011
Austria6 Posts
June 08 2013 15:51 GMT
#30561
On June 09 2013 00:39 MisterFred wrote:
@EmcDreams. Your location tag says Australia, but you're quoting parts in euros. Where do you live?



I am from Austria, fixed that now
Alryk
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
United States2718 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-06-08 16:48:51
June 08 2013 16:32 GMT
#30562
I am confused by one thing on my UEFI. Under FIVR Configuration I have CPU Voltage Mode and CPU Override Voltage, which says "Override: The voltage is fixed" and CPU override voltage says "Configure the fixed voltage for the CPU" with a min of .8 and max 2V.

Then, if I go down I have "Voltage Configuration" with "CPU Input Voltage" and CPU LLC, along with DRAM voltage and PCH 1.05 and PCH 1.5 Voltage. CPU Input voltage also says "The external voltage input to the CPU, fixed/offset mode select." If I pick Fixed mode, it auto starts it at 1.9V which makes me think that setting is the IVR that got added onto haswell, it it not?

I'm mainly confused as to whether I need CPU Input voltage under Voltage configuration or CPU Override Voltage (I have the CPU voltage mode set to override to tune the OC) under FIVR Configuration to actual set my OC settings. Does that make sense to anybody?

Edit: I think it must be the first one, considering the bottom one when fixed doesn't let me go below 1.2V.

Double edit: I can boot 4.6 at 1.2V, but I'm not passing IBT until 4.4Ghz at 1.2V right now.

Also, my CPU-Z was being weird because apparently CPU-Z isn't ready to read Haswell just yet.
Team Liquid, IM, ViOlet!
Fatta
Profile Joined May 2011
Germany148 Posts
June 08 2013 17:28 GMT
#30563
I am looking into buying a new PC at some point. Current plan was to buy a 4670k and might do some overclocking with it. I have now read some contradictory stuff whether it is locked or not. The K should normally indicate that the multiplier is not locked like on the 3570k, but I have also read that only the 4770k is unlocked and the 4670k is locked. Has someone a source that confirms either one or the other?
Mia san Mia!
Alryk
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
United States2718 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-06-08 18:59:12
June 08 2013 17:34 GMT
#30564
I'm not sure where you read that. It is most definitely unlocked, I'm testing mine right now

Ok, I passed about 15 minutes of IBT at 4.43Ghz and 1.115V with a .02V offset. I think that's what I'm going to take, as I need like... 1.3V to get to 4.5, and my cooling isn't enough at about 1.27V it seems (although I don't have it set to run max the whole time). Gonna run SC2 in just a second and test a replay!

SC2 Statistics: Faster x8 in a 41 minute replay of HerO vs some barcode (it's in the latest replay pack) gave a 2 frame min, although I think I had a stall which accounted for it. Watching from 160 supply on it was usually in the ~15 ish range.

Faster x1 same replay starting at 15 minutes with both of them at 150 - 170 supply: min was 26, max was like 122, average was 56.

Temperatures topped out at 58 celsius tested on faster x8! Pretty good I think.

I'm running 4.43 Ghz @ 1.115V again, with a 100.6 BCLK and 44 multiplier.
Team Liquid, IM, ViOlet!
Chairman Ray
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States11903 Posts
June 08 2013 18:27 GMT
#30565
On June 09 2013 02:28 Fatta wrote:
I am looking into buying a new PC at some point. Current plan was to buy a 4670k and might do some overclocking with it. I have now read some contradictory stuff whether it is locked or not. The K should normally indicate that the multiplier is not locked like on the 3570k, but I have also read that only the 4770k is unlocked and the 4670k is locked. Has someone a source that confirms either one or the other?


4670k is unlocked. You will be able to overclock it. The i5-4670 is locked however, so don't accidentally buy one of those instead.
Chaoz
Profile Joined March 2010
United States507 Posts
June 08 2013 19:37 GMT
#30566
How fast do processors usually drop when the next gen arrives? I'm planning on upgrading and getting a i5-3570 for $150. I'm in absolutely no hurry to do so though.
Ropid
Profile Joined March 2009
Germany3557 Posts
June 08 2013 19:47 GMT
#30567
They won't drop in price. Intel stops manufacturing them. They only sell the new processors. You can try to find something cheap when a shop wants to clear its old inventory.
"My goal is to replace my soul with coffee and become immortal."
skyR
Profile Joined July 2009
Canada13817 Posts
June 08 2013 22:09 GMT
#30568
A Core i5 3570 will never be $150. Maybe during Black Friday but don't get your hopes up because it's not likely.
LFHaunt
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States102 Posts
June 08 2013 23:42 GMT
#30569
On June 08 2013 19:42 Ropid wrote:
@LFHaunt:

I was pretty happy with what I've seen from ASRock in the past. Their stuff had less problems than what I've seen elsewhere regarding stability, drivers, strange Windows errors related to sleep and hibernate. The problems with quality was more about the parts for overclocking and this is fixed with Haswell. The CPU itself now helps with transforming voltage, making boards using cheap parts better. You can't look at Z77 reviews because of that.

You'll probably be content without overclocking. Haswell also additionally seems a good bit faster than Ivy Bridge in SC2. But if Microcenter has the cheapest stuff and you have to choose a Z87 board anyways, that "k" CPU could still be interesting for more options in the future. Just look at the price difference, it might be small and tempting.

+ Show Spoiler +
For even a little overclocking, you need a bigger cooler than the stock one. The Coolermaster "Hyper 212 plus" or "Hyper 212 evo" coolers should be $30 and the most solid choice for that price at Microcenter. If there's a deal for Zalman for $30, it needs at least a 120mm fan to compete and be a little better.


Even though the chip doesnt have a "K" behind it dont all processors have turbo boost, allowing them to get .4GHz more?
I was thinking that maybe i should get the i5-4570 for now and then maybe in about 4 years i would get the 5th generations version of the i5-4670K (maybe i5-5780K?) and put that on the PRO4
Cyro
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United Kingdom20344 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-06-08 23:48:00
June 08 2013 23:45 GMT
#30570
On June 09 2013 02:34 Alryk wrote:
I'm not sure where you read that. It is most definitely unlocked, I'm testing mine right now

Ok, I passed about 15 minutes of IBT at 4.43Ghz and 1.115V with a .02V offset. I think that's what I'm going to take, as I need like... 1.3V to get to 4.5, and my cooling isn't enough at about 1.27V it seems (although I don't have it set to run max the whole time). Gonna run SC2 in just a second and test a replay!

SC2 Statistics: Faster x8 in a 41 minute replay of HerO vs some barcode (it's in the latest replay pack) gave a 2 frame min, although I think I had a stall which accounted for it. Watching from 160 supply on it was usually in the ~15 ish range.

Faster x1 same replay starting at 15 minutes with both of them at 150 - 170 supply: min was 26, max was like 122, average was 56.

Temperatures topped out at 58 celsius tested on faster x8! Pretty good I think.

I'm running 4.43 Ghz @ 1.115V again, with a 100.6 BCLK and 44 multiplier.


Do you have windows 7 service pack 1 installed? What gflops are you getting?

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]
[image loading]

"oh my god my overclock... I got a single WHEA error on the 23rd hour, 9 minutes" -Belial88
skyR
Profile Joined July 2009
Canada13817 Posts
June 09 2013 00:03 GMT
#30571
On June 09 2013 08:42 LFHaunt wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 08 2013 19:42 Ropid wrote:
@LFHaunt:

I was pretty happy with what I've seen from ASRock in the past. Their stuff had less problems than what I've seen elsewhere regarding stability, drivers, strange Windows errors related to sleep and hibernate. The problems with quality was more about the parts for overclocking and this is fixed with Haswell. The CPU itself now helps with transforming voltage, making boards using cheap parts better. You can't look at Z77 reviews because of that.

You'll probably be content without overclocking. Haswell also additionally seems a good bit faster than Ivy Bridge in SC2. But if Microcenter has the cheapest stuff and you have to choose a Z87 board anyways, that "k" CPU could still be interesting for more options in the future. Just look at the price difference, it might be small and tempting.

+ Show Spoiler +
For even a little overclocking, you need a bigger cooler than the stock one. The Coolermaster "Hyper 212 plus" or "Hyper 212 evo" coolers should be $30 and the most solid choice for that price at Microcenter. If there's a deal for Zalman for $30, it needs at least a 120mm fan to compete and be a little better.


Even though the chip doesnt have a "K" behind it dont all processors have turbo boost, allowing them to get .4GHz more?
I was thinking that maybe i should get the i5-4570 for now and then maybe in about 4 years i would get the 5th generations version of the i5-4670K (maybe i5-5780K?) and put that on the PRO4


Only core i5 and core i7 have turbo boost.

That's a stupid plan, just saying. You're not going to find a retail Broadwell that is worth it over Skymont and whatever comes after it. If you are willing to buy used in five years, the chances are that person is also selling a motherboard with Broadwell so why waste money on a Z87 right now.
Alryk
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
United States2718 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-06-09 00:27:27
June 09 2013 00:20 GMT
#30572
On June 09 2013 08:45 Cyro wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 09 2013 02:34 Alryk wrote:
I'm not sure where you read that. It is most definitely unlocked, I'm testing mine right now

Ok, I passed about 15 minutes of IBT at 4.43Ghz and 1.115V with a .02V offset. I think that's what I'm going to take, as I need like... 1.3V to get to 4.5, and my cooling isn't enough at about 1.27V it seems (although I don't have it set to run max the whole time). Gonna run SC2 in just a second and test a replay!

SC2 Statistics: Faster x8 in a 41 minute replay of HerO vs some barcode (it's in the latest replay pack) gave a 2 frame min, although I think I had a stall which accounted for it. Watching from 160 supply on it was usually in the ~15 ish range.

Faster x1 same replay starting at 15 minutes with both of them at 150 - 170 supply: min was 26, max was like 122, average was 56.

Temperatures topped out at 58 celsius tested on faster x8! Pretty good I think.

I'm running 4.43 Ghz @ 1.115V again, with a 100.6 BCLK and 44 multiplier.


Do you have windows 7 service pack 1 installed? What gflops are you getting?

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]
[image loading]



I'm running Windows 8, I haven't installed any updates yet though. I'm in override mode, voltage is at 1.115V and .01 offset now, and I took the clock just down to 4.4Ghz because I got an error earlier at 4.43.
+ Show Spoiler [Picture] +

[image loading]

Ambient temp in here is probably at last 27 celsius or higher, the AC isn't working and it's 35 celsius outside ;;

Should I be lower than yours? I think that would be because of the lack of HT for this? Also, CPU-Z refuses to read my voltage right, I'm not sure why
+ Show Spoiler [Second picture] +

Sorry, I took this at a meh time. It was right as one of the tests was winding down.
[image loading]
Team Liquid, IM, ViOlet!
MisterFred
Profile Joined October 2010
United States2033 Posts
June 09 2013 01:50 GMT
#30573
On June 08 2013 22:56 EmcDreams wrote:
Hey guys, I've been thinking about putting together a new pc and since I am quite unexperienced in this area some help would be very much appreciated
+ Show Spoiler +



What is your budget?

About 800 (+100 if need be)

What is your resolution?

My resolution is 1920 x 1080. I might add a second monitor later on.

What are you using it for?

I will use it for gaming only pretty much. Just playing the newest games on higher settings for the next few years would be nice.

What is your upgrade cycle?

2-3 Years

When do you plan on building it?

As soon as possible.

Do you plan on overclocking?

Yes, if it is possible withing my budget. ^.^

Do you need an Operating System?


Nope.

Do you plan to add a second GPU for SLI or Crossfire?

Nope.

Where are you buying your parts from?


I will be buying from a variety of sites, but the prices won't differ too much from sites like hardwareversand.de or amazon.



The only thing that is set in stone so far is the case which is gonna be the Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl for 93,68€. I also think a SSD would suite my need better as I will use the pc for gaming only.
I pretty much need help on all the other parts. Thanks in advance.


You have a pretty significant budget decision to make: overclocking versus spending more on the GPU. Spending more on the GPU rather than overclocking will be better for most games in terms of graphics quality. But there are a few purposes, such as streaming SC2, which would prefer an overclocked CPU & weaker GPU. And your budget allows for a good mid-range GPU even if you decide to overclock. Also for my convenience I pulled parts from alternate.de. Feel free to shop around. Though alternate has an e-sports team.

Overclocking option:

i5-4670k (220 euro)
http://www.alternate.de/Intel(R)/Intel(R) Core(TM)_i5-4670K,_CPU/html/product/1063378/?
Low-end Gigabyte z87 mobo (115)
http://www.alternate.de/GIGABYTE/GIGABYTE GA-Z87-HD3,_Mainboard/html/product/1081326/?
HR-02 Macho cooler (40)
http://www.alternate.de/Thermalright/Thermalright HR-02_Macho_Rev.A,_CPU-Kuehler/html/product/1024658/?
2x4gb Crucial RAM (53)
http://www.alternate.de/Crucial/Crucial DIMM_8_GB_DDR3-1600_Kit,_Arbeitsspeicher/html/product/1008044/?
Geforce 660 (180)
http://www.alternate.de/GIGABYTE/GIGABYTE Geforce_GTX_660_OC,_Grafikkarte/html/product/1031506/?

Your case (94 euro)
XFX Core 450w power supply (45)
http://www.alternate.de/XFX/XFX 450W_Core_Edition_V2_Full_Wired_(Bronze),_Netzteil/html/product/924186/?
Samsung 840 120gb (83)
http://www.alternate.de/Samsung/Samsung 840_series_2,5_120_GB,_SSD/html/product/1038279/?

Seagate 1TB (57)
http://www.alternate.de/Seagate/Seagate ST1000DM003_1_TB,_Festplatte/html/product/963366/?
DVD-burner (18)
http://www.alternate.de/Samsung/Samsung SH-224DB-BEBE,_DVD-Brenner/html/product/1082138/?tk=7&lk=8417

Total: 822 euro


If you want to do without overclocking, replace the CPU with an i5-4670 (you can also save a few more euro with lower-clocked versions of the i5):
http://www.alternate.de/Intel(R)/Intel(R) Core(TM)_i5-4670,_CPU/html/product/1063387/?tk=7&lk=8920
Replace the mobo with a cheaper model:
http://www.alternate.de/MSI/MSI B85M-P33,_Mainboard/html/product/1080908/?tk=7&lk=8919
and cut the HR-02 Macho entirely.

That'll save you about 100 euro, which you can use on purchasing the Samsung 840 SSD crossed out above (also getting you back to budget), or splurging on GPU. Gigabyte Radeon 7950 for 275 euro:
http://www.alternate.de/GIGABYTE/GIGABYTE GV-R795WF3-3GD_WindForce_3X_Rev.2,_Grafikkarte/html/product/979690/?
"The victor? Not the highest scoring, nor the best strategist, nor the best tactitian. The victor was he that was closest to the Tao of FFA." -.Praetor
holistic
Profile Joined June 2013
United States21 Posts
June 09 2013 02:44 GMT
#30574
Alryk,

What are your system specs for the sc2 benches you posted earlier? (gpu, mobo, ram, cooler, etc)

Also, what settings are you using in game? Maxed out everything?

Thanks!


Here's to hoping haswell OC makes sc2 lategame silky smooth.
Alryk
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
United States2718 Posts
June 09 2013 02:50 GMT
#30575
On June 09 2013 11:44 holistic wrote:
Alryk,

What are your system specs for the sc2 benches you posted earlier? (gpu, mobo, ram, cooler, etc)

Also, what settings are you using in game? Maxed out everything?

Thanks!


Here's to hoping haswell OC makes sc2 lategame silky smooth.


i5-4670k
Sapphire HD7850 (I haven't touched it, but it's probably factory overclocked)
1600Mhz Kingston RAM
Noctua NH-U12S
Asrock Z87M-Extreme4
Seasonic G 550W Gold modular PSU

Everything maxed out, 1080P. On further testing, I'm currently passing IBT at 4.4Ghz and 1.13V instead of 115, I was getting errors on the "Very High" setting of IBT.
Team Liquid, IM, ViOlet!
Cyro
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United Kingdom20344 Posts
June 09 2013 04:12 GMT
#30576
Can you run through like a 5 min part of a replay at faster speed (the speed game is played on) after x8ing the whole replay to load everything, and going back, and post fraps benchmark data and the replay? On min settings, lategame high supply etc. 2v2 rep would be nice. I'd like to benchmark against and see how relevant avx instructions are for sc2, etc. Without them i can OC much more aggressively. Last time i tried to uninstall service pack 1 it made my OS unbootable and i had to format my SSD so it's a bit awkward to test it myself
"oh my god my overclock... I got a single WHEA error on the 23rd hour, 9 minutes" -Belial88
holistic
Profile Joined June 2013
United States21 Posts
June 09 2013 04:18 GMT
#30577
Can't wait to see the bench comparisons and ultimately what you max at, Cyro and Alryk :D
Cyro
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United Kingdom20344 Posts
June 09 2013 04:32 GMT
#30578
Hopefully sc2 doesn't benefit much from AVX instructions. Haswell with AVX is ~35-50c hotter than sandy at the same OC which is just fucking silly
"oh my god my overclock... I got a single WHEA error on the 23rd hour, 9 minutes" -Belial88
Alryk
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
United States2718 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-06-09 04:35:01
June 09 2013 04:34 GMT
#30579
On June 09 2013 13:12 Cyro wrote:
Can you run through like a 5 min part of a replay at faster speed (the speed game is played on) after x8ing the whole replay to load everything, and going back, and post fraps benchmark data and the replay? On min settings, lategame high supply etc. 2v2 rep would be nice. I'd like to benchmark against and see how relevant avx instructions are for sc2, etc. Without them i can OC much more aggressively. Last time i tried to uninstall service pack 1 it made my OS unbootable and i had to format my SSD so it's a bit awkward to test it myself


Alright, I'll get that done tomorrow probably. I'm watching MVP kick Innovation's ass (hopefully!@) right now. And the room I'm in seems really bad for testing in general, ambient is just way higher than what I'll actually be running at. From what I can tell though, those results are going to be very decent Cyro, although I do need to get a hold of a decent 2v2 replay.

@Holistic I think I might just stick with 4.4Ghz, although when I get home and have more time to do real research I might go for a bit higher. I'll be sure to finish posting results though when I do

To anybody with CPU-Z: if voltage isn't being reported properly, get version 1.64.1 or 1.64.2. It actually reports the voltage now, which is good.

@Cyro: are you in override mode? Couldn't it be adaptive mode adding .2V or something? I'm tuning my overclock in override mode so that the voltage is fixed.
Team Liquid, IM, ViOlet!
LFHaunt
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States102 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-06-09 04:36:40
June 09 2013 04:35 GMT
#30580
On June 08 2013 19:18 LFHaunt wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 08 2013 19:00 skyR wrote:
On June 08 2013 18:27 LFHaunt wrote:+ Show Spoiler +
On June 08 2013 18:14 Ropid wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 08 2013 16:56 LFHaunt wrote:
I was gunna get a i5-3570K + ASRock Extreme4 but they are out of stock of the 3570K at my local microcenter.
I finally have time to go to microcenter tomorrow which is about 60 miles away and i was thinking instead of waiting I should just get a i5-4570 + ASRock PRO3 or PRO4.
Has anyone heard anything about this CPU and MoBo. Any advice to help me make a purchase with confidence? I dont know what i should be asking here, hell i dont know if i should be buying this stuff.

So you planned to overclock originally, yes? That second CPU you mentioned can't do that. You have to choose the one that has a "k" in its name after the number. That would be i5-4670k. You need some board with "Z87" chipset.

If you don't overclock, you don't have to pay extra for the CPU that has that "k" at the end, and you don't need to buy a separate CPU cooler. You can also choose a board with "H87" or "B85" chipsets, which should be somewhat cheaper than Z87. They should all be alright, just see if it has all connections you need and compare them like that. Some have only two slots for memory, some have audio that can't do 5.1 speakers, some don't have HDMI out which could be useful for a TV or something, etc. Some boards use Intel for networking, others a cheaper alternative.

For which Z87 board to go for when going the overclocking route, just make sure it has a heat-sink on the chips beside the CPU socket. Other than that, again look for connections you need.

Also, don't ignore the mATX boards. You can still use those in a large case, and they are a little cheaper. Their downside is some of the large (pricey) air coolers might not fit because the graphics card is one slot closer to the CPU socket.


Do i need to overclock in order to play and stream SC2?
If not no i don't plan on overclocking.
Microcenter only has Z87 so that's why I picked the ASRock PRO4 Z87. Its cheap but that's about all i know about this MoBo which is where i would like to get more information. Is it fair to say that the PRO4 Z77's review would transfer over to the Z87?

One thing that has me shitting my pants is the fact that the reviews on newegg for the z77 say every once in a while that the mobo doesnt even last one year, and if im about to make one of my first purchase of this magnitude i dont want it to fail so quickly.
But one thing that gives me hope is that i believe in the back of my mind that these post are by newegg employees smurfing and creating bad review intentionally to try and get people to dishout a few more bucks so that they can make more money.

Im now hearing that Haswell wont work well with older PSUs? is there any validity to that?
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Intel-Haswell-PSU-Power-State,22320.html
if so would this PSU compensate? http://www.microcenter.com/product/365238/TR2_Series_600_Watt_ATX_Power_Supply
Or is this also a ploy to try and make some more money?


No you don't need to overclock in order to play or stream though overclocking does help.

Take Newegg reviews with a grain of salt unless there's an abundance of negative reviews for a product. Yes, components have a chance to fail. It sucks but that's just how it is due to the manufacturing process and humanity. That's why there are warranties. Most companies such as ASUS, Intel, MSI, Gigabyte all provide a three year warranty.

Not having a Haswell compatible power supply just means that you won't be able to take advantage of the new low power states which quite frankly doesn't matter for a desktop. And a Thermaltake TR2 is terrible, if you even have the slightest care for your money, you wouldn't purchase that piece of shit. Plus, 600w is extremely unnecessary if you are running a non overclocked configuration with a single GPU.


Whats so bad about Thermaltake TR2?
what about this http://www.microcenter.com/product/367693/Gold_Series_ILG-500-2_500_Watt_ATX_Power_Supply


Not sure what the difference is between these two, can anyone help me out.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139049
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139026

And I wasnt able to make it out to microcenter again today so i guess its next Saturday.
Prev 1 1527 1528 1529 1530 1531 1626 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Online Event
21:00
ONSYDE Invitational
TaKeTV 259
TKL 160
CranKy Ducklings60
Big Brain Bouts
19:00
#129
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinELIVE!
Reynor vs herO
RotterdaM895
IndyStarCraft 160
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 895
Lowko434
IndyStarCraft 160
TKL 160
Rex 75
MindelVK 18
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 55100
Free 3466
Jaedong 1884
BeSt 666
Soulkey 460
Horang2 367
Soma 310
Hyun 216
Zeus 205
Last 148
[ Show more ]
firebathero 140
sorry 135
Mind 117
Pusan 90
soO 32
Yoon 30
ToSsGirL 24
Aegong 21
scan(afreeca) 18
yabsab 17
Sacsri 10
zelot 10
Dota 2
Gorgc6744
Dendi659
XaKoH 394
canceldota45
Other Games
gofns33230
singsing2203
byalli414
B2W.Neo413
Pyrionflax294
ToD184
QueenE40
DeMusliM7
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV224
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 9
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 24
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP19
• Gemini_19 15
• Adnapsc2 8
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 1313
• WagamamaTV464
League of Legends
• Jankos3431
Upcoming Events
AI Arena Tournament
4h 29m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6h 29m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
21h 29m
Patches Events
1d 2h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 6h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 6h
OSC
1d 23h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
5 days
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.