• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 18:25
CEST 00:25
KST 07:25
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)16Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9327 users

The future of Protoss. Is there any hope? - Page 29

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 27 28 29 30 31 46 Next All
Vindicare605
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
United States16126 Posts
December 20 2021 03:36 GMT
#561
On December 20 2021 12:18 Beelzebub1 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 20 2021 11:58 Vindicare605 wrote:
On December 20 2021 11:50 WaesumNinja wrote:
The "maybe protoss players are just worse" or "protoss just doesn't have a strong top contender right now" arguments just don't hold, and it's baffling that this rhetoric keeps coming up after all this time. If protoss are underrepresented at the highest level of play then that is a very strong indication that something is not right.

Yeah sure Protoss has less mechanically demanding compositions which means that below pro level protoss will be more popular but I don't see why this somehow makes it fair that stronger players should have less tools? Like it's some sort of "ladder revenge".

Why are gateway units (barring early game trickery?) still garbage? Sure people like to whine about protoss aoe and mass air but what other options do they have since "midgame" is barely a thing anymore?


Go ahead and name a Protoss player that you think is as skilled as Maru, Dark, Rogue, Serral or Reynor?

Go ahead and name someone that is consistently a top performer as those 5 are.

Trap is the only name that comes close and he has nerves that are made of glass. He's demonstrated that in tournament after tournament.

Zest is the only champion caliber Protoss out there and even a casual fan can tell that he is in a horrific slump right now because that's what he does. He is a feast or famine streaky player.

Protoss DOES NOT have a consistent performer right now. They just don't. You can't name a player that you can say without embarassing yourself that has shown to have the same level of skill that those 5 players I mentioned have.


I think this is half of the problem, the other problem is power creep. Simply put, Zerg got alot of new tools as time went on while Protoss were kind of limited long term due to Warp Gate.

I still think a targeted nerf of the Lurker would go a long way to improving ZvP as a whole. A smart poster in here recommended Psi Storm doing extra damage to burrowed units, and while I think it's an inelegant solution, I think the Lurker is specifically overpowered vs. Protoss compared to Terran.

Lurkers are powerful in ZvT as well, but they don't seem to put Terran on a timer the way they do to Protoss, Terran has at least semi consistent ways of dealing with them, even if using mass snipe is an APM/mechanical nightmare.


Protoss obviously has MANY design problems, I've mentioned the big one that I haven't shut up about since 2010 but there are others.

But that's not to say that Protoss as a race is WEAK by any means in the current meta because it's not. Protoss dominates the ladder in EU and NA and is even with Terran in Korea when Terran has ruled Korea in virtually every meta since 2010.

Protoss is doing just fine. They aren't showing results because the pool of TOP level talent for Protoss is weaker than it ever has been before and those 5 players plus a little bit of Cure thrown in are the ones winning literally everything right now. There is no Protoss on the level of those elite 5 right now. There just isn't.
aka: KTVindicare the Geeky Bartender
WaesumNinja
Profile Joined February 2012
210 Posts
December 20 2021 03:44 GMT
#562
On December 20 2021 11:58 Vindicare605 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 20 2021 11:50 WaesumNinja wrote:
The "maybe protoss players are just worse" or "protoss just doesn't have a strong top contender right now" arguments just don't hold, and it's baffling that this rhetoric keeps coming up after all this time. If protoss are underrepresented at the highest level of play then that is a very strong indication that something is not right.

Yeah sure Protoss has less mechanically demanding compositions which means that below pro level protoss will be more popular but I don't see why this somehow makes it fair that stronger players should have less tools? Like it's some sort of "ladder revenge".

Why are gateway units (barring early game trickery?) still garbage? Sure people like to whine about protoss aoe and mass air but what other options do they have since "midgame" is barely a thing anymore?


Go ahead and name a Protoss player that you think is as skilled as Maru, Dark, Rogue, Serral or Reynor?

Go ahead and name someone that is consistently a top performer as those 5 are.

Protoss DOES NOT have a consistent performer right now. They just don't. You can't name a player that you can say without embarassing yourself that has shown to have the same level of skill that those 5 players I mentioned have.


That's a bit of a catch-22 though, isn't it? You can't deflect "there is a problem with high level play" with "there just aren't any top protoss players" because "the top protoss players don't perform as well".

With what metric do you measure someone's skill/performance? Wins, right? Because there are inherent problems saying things like "Maru demolished Zest, but Zest is actually more skilled". You just couldn't tell unless he starts consistently beating him, right? We have only one indisputable metric, and everything else is just theorycrafters saying things like "he has more control groups, so he's better" and other nonsense.

This argument has been shit since people started using it in the GomTvT days. Yeah, we can't name any "top performers", that's what we are talking about.
Beelzebub1
Profile Joined May 2015
1005 Posts
December 20 2021 03:45 GMT
#563
On December 20 2021 12:36 Vindicare605 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 20 2021 12:18 Beelzebub1 wrote:
On December 20 2021 11:58 Vindicare605 wrote:
On December 20 2021 11:50 WaesumNinja wrote:
The "maybe protoss players are just worse" or "protoss just doesn't have a strong top contender right now" arguments just don't hold, and it's baffling that this rhetoric keeps coming up after all this time. If protoss are underrepresented at the highest level of play then that is a very strong indication that something is not right.

Yeah sure Protoss has less mechanically demanding compositions which means that below pro level protoss will be more popular but I don't see why this somehow makes it fair that stronger players should have less tools? Like it's some sort of "ladder revenge".

Why are gateway units (barring early game trickery?) still garbage? Sure people like to whine about protoss aoe and mass air but what other options do they have since "midgame" is barely a thing anymore?


Go ahead and name a Protoss player that you think is as skilled as Maru, Dark, Rogue, Serral or Reynor?

Go ahead and name someone that is consistently a top performer as those 5 are.

Trap is the only name that comes close and he has nerves that are made of glass. He's demonstrated that in tournament after tournament.

Zest is the only champion caliber Protoss out there and even a casual fan can tell that he is in a horrific slump right now because that's what he does. He is a feast or famine streaky player.

Protoss DOES NOT have a consistent performer right now. They just don't. You can't name a player that you can say without embarassing yourself that has shown to have the same level of skill that those 5 players I mentioned have.


I think this is half of the problem, the other problem is power creep. Simply put, Zerg got alot of new tools as time went on while Protoss were kind of limited long term due to Warp Gate.

I still think a targeted nerf of the Lurker would go a long way to improving ZvP as a whole. A smart poster in here recommended Psi Storm doing extra damage to burrowed units, and while I think it's an inelegant solution, I think the Lurker is specifically overpowered vs. Protoss compared to Terran.

Lurkers are powerful in ZvT as well, but they don't seem to put Terran on a timer the way they do to Protoss, Terran has at least semi consistent ways of dealing with them, even if using mass snipe is an APM/mechanical nightmare.


Protoss obviously has MANY design problems, I've mentioned the big one that I haven't shut up about since 2010 but there are others.

But that's not to say that Protoss as a race is WEAK by any means in the current meta because it's not. Protoss dominates the ladder in EU and NA and is even with Terran in Korea when Terran has ruled Korea in virtually every meta since 2010.

Protoss is doing just fine. They aren't showing results because the pool of TOP level talent for Protoss is weaker than it ever has been before and those 5 players plus a little bit of Cure thrown in are the ones winning literally everything right now. There is no Protoss on the level of those elite 5 right now. There just isn't.


No definitely not, like I said I think you're at least half right here. I know that the Protoss players here refuse to take this as anything other then anecdotal evidence but when you really ask yourself, "Whos the top 3 Protoss in the world?" and stack them against the top 3 Zerg in the world the talent disparity seems pretty apparent.

However, Trap played a series against Serral recently and even I had to admit that Protoss looks kind of...slow...compared to modern Zerg. Then again, I just saw Hero and Solar play and it looked very competitive, went down to the last match.
Vindicare605
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
United States16126 Posts
December 20 2021 03:52 GMT
#564
On December 20 2021 12:44 WaesumNinja wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 20 2021 11:58 Vindicare605 wrote:
On December 20 2021 11:50 WaesumNinja wrote:
The "maybe protoss players are just worse" or "protoss just doesn't have a strong top contender right now" arguments just don't hold, and it's baffling that this rhetoric keeps coming up after all this time. If protoss are underrepresented at the highest level of play then that is a very strong indication that something is not right.

Yeah sure Protoss has less mechanically demanding compositions which means that below pro level protoss will be more popular but I don't see why this somehow makes it fair that stronger players should have less tools? Like it's some sort of "ladder revenge".

Why are gateway units (barring early game trickery?) still garbage? Sure people like to whine about protoss aoe and mass air but what other options do they have since "midgame" is barely a thing anymore?


Go ahead and name a Protoss player that you think is as skilled as Maru, Dark, Rogue, Serral or Reynor?

Go ahead and name someone that is consistently a top performer as those 5 are.

Protoss DOES NOT have a consistent performer right now. They just don't. You can't name a player that you can say without embarassing yourself that has shown to have the same level of skill that those 5 players I mentioned have.


That's a bit of a catch-22 though, isn't it? You can't deflect "there is a problem with high level play" with "there just aren't any top protoss players" because "the top protoss players don't perform as well".

With what metric do you measure someone's skill/performance? Wins, right? Because there are inherent problems saying things like "Maru demolished Zest, but Zest is actually more skilled". You just couldn't tell unless he starts consistently beating him, right? We have only one indisputable metric, and everything else is just theorycrafters saying things like "he has more control groups, so he's better" and other nonsense.

This argument has been shit since people started using it in the GomTvT days. Yeah, we can't name any "top performers", that's what we are talking about.


No. That's a bunch of crap. I don't judge skill based on only results and anyone that does is wrong to do so. It's the same as when people treat aligulac as anything other than just a tool in a toolkit. Its rankings are not law and they never have ever been.

I judge skill based on what I see. On mechanics, on timings, on strategies, on executions, on decision making while under pressure etc. etc.

I judge that and then I compare it to results and I use the aggregate to judge how good someone is at the top level. Trap really is the best Protoss player in the world, WHEN he is playing well, but he's not consistent and that has more to do with his fragile nerves than anything that has to do with the race. I haven't seen any Protoss player currently playing that is not in the South Korean army at the moment that has anything close to level of skill that Trap does. Nowhere close. And Trap just is not as good as any of the elite 5 players I mentioned before.

Trap isn't as good as Maru, he isn't as good as Rogue, he isn't as good as Dark. He just isn't.

And there is no other Protoss player that can measure up to the level of skill that Trap has. Try and name one. You can't do it because one doesn't exist. Not right now anyway. I'm hoping that Classic or HerO (who just got BACK from the South Korean army) can get back into shape soon and I hope players like Maxpax or Goblin develop (unlikely) the way that Reynor or Clem did but aside from those things happening I just do not see any big influx of skilled Protoss players coming to the scene anytime soon.

Trap is the best they have and he just isn't as good as the elite 5 are.
aka: KTVindicare the Geeky Bartender
Nebuchad
Profile Blog Joined December 2012
Switzerland12538 Posts
December 20 2021 03:53 GMT
#565
On December 20 2021 12:45 Beelzebub1 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 20 2021 12:36 Vindicare605 wrote:
On December 20 2021 12:18 Beelzebub1 wrote:
On December 20 2021 11:58 Vindicare605 wrote:
On December 20 2021 11:50 WaesumNinja wrote:
The "maybe protoss players are just worse" or "protoss just doesn't have a strong top contender right now" arguments just don't hold, and it's baffling that this rhetoric keeps coming up after all this time. If protoss are underrepresented at the highest level of play then that is a very strong indication that something is not right.

Yeah sure Protoss has less mechanically demanding compositions which means that below pro level protoss will be more popular but I don't see why this somehow makes it fair that stronger players should have less tools? Like it's some sort of "ladder revenge".

Why are gateway units (barring early game trickery?) still garbage? Sure people like to whine about protoss aoe and mass air but what other options do they have since "midgame" is barely a thing anymore?


Go ahead and name a Protoss player that you think is as skilled as Maru, Dark, Rogue, Serral or Reynor?

Go ahead and name someone that is consistently a top performer as those 5 are.

Trap is the only name that comes close and he has nerves that are made of glass. He's demonstrated that in tournament after tournament.

Zest is the only champion caliber Protoss out there and even a casual fan can tell that he is in a horrific slump right now because that's what he does. He is a feast or famine streaky player.

Protoss DOES NOT have a consistent performer right now. They just don't. You can't name a player that you can say without embarassing yourself that has shown to have the same level of skill that those 5 players I mentioned have.


I think this is half of the problem, the other problem is power creep. Simply put, Zerg got alot of new tools as time went on while Protoss were kind of limited long term due to Warp Gate.

I still think a targeted nerf of the Lurker would go a long way to improving ZvP as a whole. A smart poster in here recommended Psi Storm doing extra damage to burrowed units, and while I think it's an inelegant solution, I think the Lurker is specifically overpowered vs. Protoss compared to Terran.

Lurkers are powerful in ZvT as well, but they don't seem to put Terran on a timer the way they do to Protoss, Terran has at least semi consistent ways of dealing with them, even if using mass snipe is an APM/mechanical nightmare.


Protoss obviously has MANY design problems, I've mentioned the big one that I haven't shut up about since 2010 but there are others.

But that's not to say that Protoss as a race is WEAK by any means in the current meta because it's not. Protoss dominates the ladder in EU and NA and is even with Terran in Korea when Terran has ruled Korea in virtually every meta since 2010.

Protoss is doing just fine. They aren't showing results because the pool of TOP level talent for Protoss is weaker than it ever has been before and those 5 players plus a little bit of Cure thrown in are the ones winning literally everything right now. There is no Protoss on the level of those elite 5 right now. There just isn't.


No definitely not, like I said I think you're at least half right here. I know that the Protoss players here refuse to take this as anything other then anecdotal evidence but when you really ask yourself, "Whos the top 3 Protoss in the world?" and stack them against the top 3 Zerg in the world the talent disparity seems pretty apparent.


I've been having the reverse conversation but this is also not something you can state lol. It could also be that the reason why the top 3 protoss looks way worse than the top 3 zerg is because zerg is far superior to protoss and has been for a while, so they win more often and you associate that with talent.
No will to live, no wish to die
Vindicare605
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
United States16126 Posts
December 20 2021 04:33 GMT
#566
On December 20 2021 12:53 Nebuchad wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 20 2021 12:45 Beelzebub1 wrote:
On December 20 2021 12:36 Vindicare605 wrote:
On December 20 2021 12:18 Beelzebub1 wrote:
On December 20 2021 11:58 Vindicare605 wrote:
On December 20 2021 11:50 WaesumNinja wrote:
The "maybe protoss players are just worse" or "protoss just doesn't have a strong top contender right now" arguments just don't hold, and it's baffling that this rhetoric keeps coming up after all this time. If protoss are underrepresented at the highest level of play then that is a very strong indication that something is not right.

Yeah sure Protoss has less mechanically demanding compositions which means that below pro level protoss will be more popular but I don't see why this somehow makes it fair that stronger players should have less tools? Like it's some sort of "ladder revenge".

Why are gateway units (barring early game trickery?) still garbage? Sure people like to whine about protoss aoe and mass air but what other options do they have since "midgame" is barely a thing anymore?


Go ahead and name a Protoss player that you think is as skilled as Maru, Dark, Rogue, Serral or Reynor?

Go ahead and name someone that is consistently a top performer as those 5 are.

Trap is the only name that comes close and he has nerves that are made of glass. He's demonstrated that in tournament after tournament.

Zest is the only champion caliber Protoss out there and even a casual fan can tell that he is in a horrific slump right now because that's what he does. He is a feast or famine streaky player.

Protoss DOES NOT have a consistent performer right now. They just don't. You can't name a player that you can say without embarassing yourself that has shown to have the same level of skill that those 5 players I mentioned have.


I think this is half of the problem, the other problem is power creep. Simply put, Zerg got alot of new tools as time went on while Protoss were kind of limited long term due to Warp Gate.

I still think a targeted nerf of the Lurker would go a long way to improving ZvP as a whole. A smart poster in here recommended Psi Storm doing extra damage to burrowed units, and while I think it's an inelegant solution, I think the Lurker is specifically overpowered vs. Protoss compared to Terran.

Lurkers are powerful in ZvT as well, but they don't seem to put Terran on a timer the way they do to Protoss, Terran has at least semi consistent ways of dealing with them, even if using mass snipe is an APM/mechanical nightmare.


Protoss obviously has MANY design problems, I've mentioned the big one that I haven't shut up about since 2010 but there are others.

But that's not to say that Protoss as a race is WEAK by any means in the current meta because it's not. Protoss dominates the ladder in EU and NA and is even with Terran in Korea when Terran has ruled Korea in virtually every meta since 2010.

Protoss is doing just fine. They aren't showing results because the pool of TOP level talent for Protoss is weaker than it ever has been before and those 5 players plus a little bit of Cure thrown in are the ones winning literally everything right now. There is no Protoss on the level of those elite 5 right now. There just isn't.


No definitely not, like I said I think you're at least half right here. I know that the Protoss players here refuse to take this as anything other then anecdotal evidence but when you really ask yourself, "Whos the top 3 Protoss in the world?" and stack them against the top 3 Zerg in the world the talent disparity seems pretty apparent.


I've been having the reverse conversation but this is also not something you can state lol. It could also be that the reason why the top 3 protoss looks way worse than the top 3 zerg is because zerg is far superior to protoss and has been for a while, so they win more often and you associate that with talent.


That might be true except it's the same Zergs that keep winning and the field of Protoss players that show up just to be eaten in tournaments gets wider and wider.

Like I can't even remember the latest new Zerg player to come onto the scene. Reynor was legit the last one and the pace at which he shot to the top was incredible. It was OBVIOUS that he was something special.

I just don't remember the last time I saw that same thing from a Protoss player. I see loads of names I don't recognize qualifying. I see loads of green in the TL tournament brackets. I just don't see anyone separating themselves from the pack.
aka: KTVindicare the Geeky Bartender
darklycid
Profile Joined May 2014
3562 Posts
December 20 2021 04:41 GMT
#567
On December 20 2021 13:33 Vindicare605 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 20 2021 12:53 Nebuchad wrote:
On December 20 2021 12:45 Beelzebub1 wrote:
On December 20 2021 12:36 Vindicare605 wrote:
On December 20 2021 12:18 Beelzebub1 wrote:
On December 20 2021 11:58 Vindicare605 wrote:
On December 20 2021 11:50 WaesumNinja wrote:
The "maybe protoss players are just worse" or "protoss just doesn't have a strong top contender right now" arguments just don't hold, and it's baffling that this rhetoric keeps coming up after all this time. If protoss are underrepresented at the highest level of play then that is a very strong indication that something is not right.

Yeah sure Protoss has less mechanically demanding compositions which means that below pro level protoss will be more popular but I don't see why this somehow makes it fair that stronger players should have less tools? Like it's some sort of "ladder revenge".

Why are gateway units (barring early game trickery?) still garbage? Sure people like to whine about protoss aoe and mass air but what other options do they have since "midgame" is barely a thing anymore?


Go ahead and name a Protoss player that you think is as skilled as Maru, Dark, Rogue, Serral or Reynor?

Go ahead and name someone that is consistently a top performer as those 5 are.

Trap is the only name that comes close and he has nerves that are made of glass. He's demonstrated that in tournament after tournament.

Zest is the only champion caliber Protoss out there and even a casual fan can tell that he is in a horrific slump right now because that's what he does. He is a feast or famine streaky player.

Protoss DOES NOT have a consistent performer right now. They just don't. You can't name a player that you can say without embarassing yourself that has shown to have the same level of skill that those 5 players I mentioned have.


I think this is half of the problem, the other problem is power creep. Simply put, Zerg got alot of new tools as time went on while Protoss were kind of limited long term due to Warp Gate.

I still think a targeted nerf of the Lurker would go a long way to improving ZvP as a whole. A smart poster in here recommended Psi Storm doing extra damage to burrowed units, and while I think it's an inelegant solution, I think the Lurker is specifically overpowered vs. Protoss compared to Terran.

Lurkers are powerful in ZvT as well, but they don't seem to put Terran on a timer the way they do to Protoss, Terran has at least semi consistent ways of dealing with them, even if using mass snipe is an APM/mechanical nightmare.


Protoss obviously has MANY design problems, I've mentioned the big one that I haven't shut up about since 2010 but there are others.

But that's not to say that Protoss as a race is WEAK by any means in the current meta because it's not. Protoss dominates the ladder in EU and NA and is even with Terran in Korea when Terran has ruled Korea in virtually every meta since 2010.

Protoss is doing just fine. They aren't showing results because the pool of TOP level talent for Protoss is weaker than it ever has been before and those 5 players plus a little bit of Cure thrown in are the ones winning literally everything right now. There is no Protoss on the level of those elite 5 right now. There just isn't.


No definitely not, like I said I think you're at least half right here. I know that the Protoss players here refuse to take this as anything other then anecdotal evidence but when you really ask yourself, "Whos the top 3 Protoss in the world?" and stack them against the top 3 Zerg in the world the talent disparity seems pretty apparent.


I've been having the reverse conversation but this is also not something you can state lol. It could also be that the reason why the top 3 protoss looks way worse than the top 3 zerg is because zerg is far superior to protoss and has been for a while, so they win more often and you associate that with talent.


That might be true except it's the same Zergs that keep winning and the field of Protoss players that show up just to be eaten in tournaments gets wider and wider.

Like I can't even remember the latest new Zerg player to come onto the scene. Reynor was legit the last one and the pace at which he shot to the top was incredible. It was OBVIOUS that he was something special.

I just don't remember the last time I saw that same thing from a Protoss player. I see loads of names I don't recognize qualifying. I see loads of green in the TL tournament brackets. I just don't see anyone separating themselves from the pack.

Maxpax?
Vindicare605
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
United States16126 Posts
December 20 2021 04:46 GMT
#568
On December 20 2021 13:41 darklycid wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 20 2021 13:33 Vindicare605 wrote:
On December 20 2021 12:53 Nebuchad wrote:
On December 20 2021 12:45 Beelzebub1 wrote:
On December 20 2021 12:36 Vindicare605 wrote:
On December 20 2021 12:18 Beelzebub1 wrote:
On December 20 2021 11:58 Vindicare605 wrote:
On December 20 2021 11:50 WaesumNinja wrote:
The "maybe protoss players are just worse" or "protoss just doesn't have a strong top contender right now" arguments just don't hold, and it's baffling that this rhetoric keeps coming up after all this time. If protoss are underrepresented at the highest level of play then that is a very strong indication that something is not right.

Yeah sure Protoss has less mechanically demanding compositions which means that below pro level protoss will be more popular but I don't see why this somehow makes it fair that stronger players should have less tools? Like it's some sort of "ladder revenge".

Why are gateway units (barring early game trickery?) still garbage? Sure people like to whine about protoss aoe and mass air but what other options do they have since "midgame" is barely a thing anymore?


Go ahead and name a Protoss player that you think is as skilled as Maru, Dark, Rogue, Serral or Reynor?

Go ahead and name someone that is consistently a top performer as those 5 are.

Trap is the only name that comes close and he has nerves that are made of glass. He's demonstrated that in tournament after tournament.

Zest is the only champion caliber Protoss out there and even a casual fan can tell that he is in a horrific slump right now because that's what he does. He is a feast or famine streaky player.

Protoss DOES NOT have a consistent performer right now. They just don't. You can't name a player that you can say without embarassing yourself that has shown to have the same level of skill that those 5 players I mentioned have.


I think this is half of the problem, the other problem is power creep. Simply put, Zerg got alot of new tools as time went on while Protoss were kind of limited long term due to Warp Gate.

I still think a targeted nerf of the Lurker would go a long way to improving ZvP as a whole. A smart poster in here recommended Psi Storm doing extra damage to burrowed units, and while I think it's an inelegant solution, I think the Lurker is specifically overpowered vs. Protoss compared to Terran.

Lurkers are powerful in ZvT as well, but they don't seem to put Terran on a timer the way they do to Protoss, Terran has at least semi consistent ways of dealing with them, even if using mass snipe is an APM/mechanical nightmare.


Protoss obviously has MANY design problems, I've mentioned the big one that I haven't shut up about since 2010 but there are others.

But that's not to say that Protoss as a race is WEAK by any means in the current meta because it's not. Protoss dominates the ladder in EU and NA and is even with Terran in Korea when Terran has ruled Korea in virtually every meta since 2010.

Protoss is doing just fine. They aren't showing results because the pool of TOP level talent for Protoss is weaker than it ever has been before and those 5 players plus a little bit of Cure thrown in are the ones winning literally everything right now. There is no Protoss on the level of those elite 5 right now. There just isn't.


No definitely not, like I said I think you're at least half right here. I know that the Protoss players here refuse to take this as anything other then anecdotal evidence but when you really ask yourself, "Whos the top 3 Protoss in the world?" and stack them against the top 3 Zerg in the world the talent disparity seems pretty apparent.


I've been having the reverse conversation but this is also not something you can state lol. It could also be that the reason why the top 3 protoss looks way worse than the top 3 zerg is because zerg is far superior to protoss and has been for a while, so they win more often and you associate that with talent.


That might be true except it's the same Zergs that keep winning and the field of Protoss players that show up just to be eaten in tournaments gets wider and wider.

Like I can't even remember the latest new Zerg player to come onto the scene. Reynor was legit the last one and the pace at which he shot to the top was incredible. It was OBVIOUS that he was something special.

I just don't remember the last time I saw that same thing from a Protoss player. I see loads of names I don't recognize qualifying. I see loads of green in the TL tournament brackets. I just don't see anyone separating themselves from the pack.

Maxpax?


But is he ready to be anything other than a small speed bump to the elite 5? I don't think so. I'd give him 25 to 1 odds at best to take a 5 game series in a major tournament off of one of them.

Hell I don't even have him as a hands down favorite in PvP from the rest of the pack of EU Protoss at the moment.
aka: KTVindicare the Geeky Bartender
darklycid
Profile Joined May 2014
3562 Posts
Last Edited: 2021-12-20 04:53:35
December 20 2021 04:52 GMT
#569
On December 20 2021 13:46 Vindicare605 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 20 2021 13:41 darklycid wrote:
On December 20 2021 13:33 Vindicare605 wrote:
On December 20 2021 12:53 Nebuchad wrote:
On December 20 2021 12:45 Beelzebub1 wrote:
On December 20 2021 12:36 Vindicare605 wrote:
On December 20 2021 12:18 Beelzebub1 wrote:
On December 20 2021 11:58 Vindicare605 wrote:
On December 20 2021 11:50 WaesumNinja wrote:
The "maybe protoss players are just worse" or "protoss just doesn't have a strong top contender right now" arguments just don't hold, and it's baffling that this rhetoric keeps coming up after all this time. If protoss are underrepresented at the highest level of play then that is a very strong indication that something is not right.

Yeah sure Protoss has less mechanically demanding compositions which means that below pro level protoss will be more popular but I don't see why this somehow makes it fair that stronger players should have less tools? Like it's some sort of "ladder revenge".

Why are gateway units (barring early game trickery?) still garbage? Sure people like to whine about protoss aoe and mass air but what other options do they have since "midgame" is barely a thing anymore?


Go ahead and name a Protoss player that you think is as skilled as Maru, Dark, Rogue, Serral or Reynor?

Go ahead and name someone that is consistently a top performer as those 5 are.

Trap is the only name that comes close and he has nerves that are made of glass. He's demonstrated that in tournament after tournament.

Zest is the only champion caliber Protoss out there and even a casual fan can tell that he is in a horrific slump right now because that's what he does. He is a feast or famine streaky player.

Protoss DOES NOT have a consistent performer right now. They just don't. You can't name a player that you can say without embarassing yourself that has shown to have the same level of skill that those 5 players I mentioned have.


I think this is half of the problem, the other problem is power creep. Simply put, Zerg got alot of new tools as time went on while Protoss were kind of limited long term due to Warp Gate.

I still think a targeted nerf of the Lurker would go a long way to improving ZvP as a whole. A smart poster in here recommended Psi Storm doing extra damage to burrowed units, and while I think it's an inelegant solution, I think the Lurker is specifically overpowered vs. Protoss compared to Terran.

Lurkers are powerful in ZvT as well, but they don't seem to put Terran on a timer the way they do to Protoss, Terran has at least semi consistent ways of dealing with them, even if using mass snipe is an APM/mechanical nightmare.


Protoss obviously has MANY design problems, I've mentioned the big one that I haven't shut up about since 2010 but there are others.

But that's not to say that Protoss as a race is WEAK by any means in the current meta because it's not. Protoss dominates the ladder in EU and NA and is even with Terran in Korea when Terran has ruled Korea in virtually every meta since 2010.

Protoss is doing just fine. They aren't showing results because the pool of TOP level talent for Protoss is weaker than it ever has been before and those 5 players plus a little bit of Cure thrown in are the ones winning literally everything right now. There is no Protoss on the level of those elite 5 right now. There just isn't.


No definitely not, like I said I think you're at least half right here. I know that the Protoss players here refuse to take this as anything other then anecdotal evidence but when you really ask yourself, "Whos the top 3 Protoss in the world?" and stack them against the top 3 Zerg in the world the talent disparity seems pretty apparent.


I've been having the reverse conversation but this is also not something you can state lol. It could also be that the reason why the top 3 protoss looks way worse than the top 3 zerg is because zerg is far superior to protoss and has been for a while, so they win more often and you associate that with talent.


That might be true except it's the same Zergs that keep winning and the field of Protoss players that show up just to be eaten in tournaments gets wider and wider.

Like I can't even remember the latest new Zerg player to come onto the scene. Reynor was legit the last one and the pace at which he shot to the top was incredible. It was OBVIOUS that he was something special.

I just don't remember the last time I saw that same thing from a Protoss player. I see loads of names I don't recognize qualifying. I see loads of green in the TL tournament brackets. I just don't see anyone separating themselves from the pack.

Maxpax?


But is he ready to be anything other than a small speed bump to the elite 5? I don't think so. I'd give him 25 to 1 odds at best to take a 5 game series in a major tournament off of one of them.

Hell I don't even have him as a hands down favorite in PvP from the rest of the pack of EU Protoss at the moment.

Well that's just dumb, his pvp is pretty much above all eu toss but showtime right now from the looks (esp if you factor in the randomness pvp has). And while not on the level of the top 5, his improvements are massive and he has separated himself from the pack.
Edit: also depends on what you mean by the pack, but at least in eu he has imo.
Vindicare605
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
United States16126 Posts
December 20 2021 04:57 GMT
#570
On December 20 2021 13:52 darklycid wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 20 2021 13:46 Vindicare605 wrote:
On December 20 2021 13:41 darklycid wrote:
On December 20 2021 13:33 Vindicare605 wrote:
On December 20 2021 12:53 Nebuchad wrote:
On December 20 2021 12:45 Beelzebub1 wrote:
On December 20 2021 12:36 Vindicare605 wrote:
On December 20 2021 12:18 Beelzebub1 wrote:
On December 20 2021 11:58 Vindicare605 wrote:
On December 20 2021 11:50 WaesumNinja wrote:
The "maybe protoss players are just worse" or "protoss just doesn't have a strong top contender right now" arguments just don't hold, and it's baffling that this rhetoric keeps coming up after all this time. If protoss are underrepresented at the highest level of play then that is a very strong indication that something is not right.

Yeah sure Protoss has less mechanically demanding compositions which means that below pro level protoss will be more popular but I don't see why this somehow makes it fair that stronger players should have less tools? Like it's some sort of "ladder revenge".

Why are gateway units (barring early game trickery?) still garbage? Sure people like to whine about protoss aoe and mass air but what other options do they have since "midgame" is barely a thing anymore?


Go ahead and name a Protoss player that you think is as skilled as Maru, Dark, Rogue, Serral or Reynor?

Go ahead and name someone that is consistently a top performer as those 5 are.

Trap is the only name that comes close and he has nerves that are made of glass. He's demonstrated that in tournament after tournament.

Zest is the only champion caliber Protoss out there and even a casual fan can tell that he is in a horrific slump right now because that's what he does. He is a feast or famine streaky player.

Protoss DOES NOT have a consistent performer right now. They just don't. You can't name a player that you can say without embarassing yourself that has shown to have the same level of skill that those 5 players I mentioned have.


I think this is half of the problem, the other problem is power creep. Simply put, Zerg got alot of new tools as time went on while Protoss were kind of limited long term due to Warp Gate.

I still think a targeted nerf of the Lurker would go a long way to improving ZvP as a whole. A smart poster in here recommended Psi Storm doing extra damage to burrowed units, and while I think it's an inelegant solution, I think the Lurker is specifically overpowered vs. Protoss compared to Terran.

Lurkers are powerful in ZvT as well, but they don't seem to put Terran on a timer the way they do to Protoss, Terran has at least semi consistent ways of dealing with them, even if using mass snipe is an APM/mechanical nightmare.


Protoss obviously has MANY design problems, I've mentioned the big one that I haven't shut up about since 2010 but there are others.

But that's not to say that Protoss as a race is WEAK by any means in the current meta because it's not. Protoss dominates the ladder in EU and NA and is even with Terran in Korea when Terran has ruled Korea in virtually every meta since 2010.

Protoss is doing just fine. They aren't showing results because the pool of TOP level talent for Protoss is weaker than it ever has been before and those 5 players plus a little bit of Cure thrown in are the ones winning literally everything right now. There is no Protoss on the level of those elite 5 right now. There just isn't.


No definitely not, like I said I think you're at least half right here. I know that the Protoss players here refuse to take this as anything other then anecdotal evidence but when you really ask yourself, "Whos the top 3 Protoss in the world?" and stack them against the top 3 Zerg in the world the talent disparity seems pretty apparent.


I've been having the reverse conversation but this is also not something you can state lol. It could also be that the reason why the top 3 protoss looks way worse than the top 3 zerg is because zerg is far superior to protoss and has been for a while, so they win more often and you associate that with talent.


That might be true except it's the same Zergs that keep winning and the field of Protoss players that show up just to be eaten in tournaments gets wider and wider.

Like I can't even remember the latest new Zerg player to come onto the scene. Reynor was legit the last one and the pace at which he shot to the top was incredible. It was OBVIOUS that he was something special.

I just don't remember the last time I saw that same thing from a Protoss player. I see loads of names I don't recognize qualifying. I see loads of green in the TL tournament brackets. I just don't see anyone separating themselves from the pack.

Maxpax?


But is he ready to be anything other than a small speed bump to the elite 5? I don't think so. I'd give him 25 to 1 odds at best to take a 5 game series in a major tournament off of one of them.

Hell I don't even have him as a hands down favorite in PvP from the rest of the pack of EU Protoss at the moment.

Well that's just dumb, his pvp is pretty much above all eu toss but showtime right now from the looks (esp if you factor in the randomness pvp has). And while not on the level of the top 5, his improvements are massive and he has separated himself from the pack.
Edit: also depends on what you mean by the pack, but at least in eu he has imo.


I could be convinced of that, I haven't seen enough of him in the smaller tournaments to really tell. But he hasn't shown me that in any of the big events.


Either way though, we can't seriously be comparing his "separating" from the pack to what Clem or Reynor did. That's the kind of separation I'm talking about. I don't see that from any Protoss players right now. If Maxpax is the latest we have, it's still a very tame rise compared to what those 2 did, and they are just the most recent of the bunch. Serral had a similar meteoric rise to the top as did other Zergs I can think of.
aka: KTVindicare the Geeky Bartender
darklycid
Profile Joined May 2014
3562 Posts
December 20 2021 05:05 GMT
#571
On December 20 2021 13:57 Vindicare605 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 20 2021 13:52 darklycid wrote:
On December 20 2021 13:46 Vindicare605 wrote:
On December 20 2021 13:41 darklycid wrote:
On December 20 2021 13:33 Vindicare605 wrote:
On December 20 2021 12:53 Nebuchad wrote:
On December 20 2021 12:45 Beelzebub1 wrote:
On December 20 2021 12:36 Vindicare605 wrote:
On December 20 2021 12:18 Beelzebub1 wrote:
On December 20 2021 11:58 Vindicare605 wrote:
[quote]

Go ahead and name a Protoss player that you think is as skilled as Maru, Dark, Rogue, Serral or Reynor?

Go ahead and name someone that is consistently a top performer as those 5 are.

Trap is the only name that comes close and he has nerves that are made of glass. He's demonstrated that in tournament after tournament.

Zest is the only champion caliber Protoss out there and even a casual fan can tell that he is in a horrific slump right now because that's what he does. He is a feast or famine streaky player.

Protoss DOES NOT have a consistent performer right now. They just don't. You can't name a player that you can say without embarassing yourself that has shown to have the same level of skill that those 5 players I mentioned have.


I think this is half of the problem, the other problem is power creep. Simply put, Zerg got alot of new tools as time went on while Protoss were kind of limited long term due to Warp Gate.

I still think a targeted nerf of the Lurker would go a long way to improving ZvP as a whole. A smart poster in here recommended Psi Storm doing extra damage to burrowed units, and while I think it's an inelegant solution, I think the Lurker is specifically overpowered vs. Protoss compared to Terran.

Lurkers are powerful in ZvT as well, but they don't seem to put Terran on a timer the way they do to Protoss, Terran has at least semi consistent ways of dealing with them, even if using mass snipe is an APM/mechanical nightmare.


Protoss obviously has MANY design problems, I've mentioned the big one that I haven't shut up about since 2010 but there are others.

But that's not to say that Protoss as a race is WEAK by any means in the current meta because it's not. Protoss dominates the ladder in EU and NA and is even with Terran in Korea when Terran has ruled Korea in virtually every meta since 2010.

Protoss is doing just fine. They aren't showing results because the pool of TOP level talent for Protoss is weaker than it ever has been before and those 5 players plus a little bit of Cure thrown in are the ones winning literally everything right now. There is no Protoss on the level of those elite 5 right now. There just isn't.


No definitely not, like I said I think you're at least half right here. I know that the Protoss players here refuse to take this as anything other then anecdotal evidence but when you really ask yourself, "Whos the top 3 Protoss in the world?" and stack them against the top 3 Zerg in the world the talent disparity seems pretty apparent.


I've been having the reverse conversation but this is also not something you can state lol. It could also be that the reason why the top 3 protoss looks way worse than the top 3 zerg is because zerg is far superior to protoss and has been for a while, so they win more often and you associate that with talent.


That might be true except it's the same Zergs that keep winning and the field of Protoss players that show up just to be eaten in tournaments gets wider and wider.

Like I can't even remember the latest new Zerg player to come onto the scene. Reynor was legit the last one and the pace at which he shot to the top was incredible. It was OBVIOUS that he was something special.

I just don't remember the last time I saw that same thing from a Protoss player. I see loads of names I don't recognize qualifying. I see loads of green in the TL tournament brackets. I just don't see anyone separating themselves from the pack.

Maxpax?


But is he ready to be anything other than a small speed bump to the elite 5? I don't think so. I'd give him 25 to 1 odds at best to take a 5 game series in a major tournament off of one of them.

Hell I don't even have him as a hands down favorite in PvP from the rest of the pack of EU Protoss at the moment.

Well that's just dumb, his pvp is pretty much above all eu toss but showtime right now from the looks (esp if you factor in the randomness pvp has). And while not on the level of the top 5, his improvements are massive and he has separated himself from the pack.
Edit: also depends on what you mean by the pack, but at least in eu he has imo.


I could be convinced of that, I haven't seen enough of him in the smaller tournaments to really tell. But he hasn't shown me that in any of the big events.


Either way though, we can't seriously be comparing his "separating" from the pack to what Clem or Reynor did. That's the kind of separation I'm talking about. I don't see that from any Protoss players right now. If Maxpax is the latest we have, it's still a very tame rise compared to what those 2 did, and they are just the most recent of the bunch. Serral had a similar meteoric rise to the top as did other Zergs I can think of.

Then you remember their rise wrong,clems rise wasn't as fast as you remember but reynor i give to you he was rising pretty darn fast.
QOGQOG
Profile Joined July 2019
834 Posts
Last Edited: 2021-12-20 05:07:16
December 20 2021 05:06 GMT
#572
On December 20 2021 12:52 Vindicare605 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 20 2021 12:44 WaesumNinja wrote:
On December 20 2021 11:58 Vindicare605 wrote:
On December 20 2021 11:50 WaesumNinja wrote:
The "maybe protoss players are just worse" or "protoss just doesn't have a strong top contender right now" arguments just don't hold, and it's baffling that this rhetoric keeps coming up after all this time. If protoss are underrepresented at the highest level of play then that is a very strong indication that something is not right.

Yeah sure Protoss has less mechanically demanding compositions which means that below pro level protoss will be more popular but I don't see why this somehow makes it fair that stronger players should have less tools? Like it's some sort of "ladder revenge".

Why are gateway units (barring early game trickery?) still garbage? Sure people like to whine about protoss aoe and mass air but what other options do they have since "midgame" is barely a thing anymore?


Go ahead and name a Protoss player that you think is as skilled as Maru, Dark, Rogue, Serral or Reynor?

Go ahead and name someone that is consistently a top performer as those 5 are.

Protoss DOES NOT have a consistent performer right now. They just don't. You can't name a player that you can say without embarassing yourself that has shown to have the same level of skill that those 5 players I mentioned have.


That's a bit of a catch-22 though, isn't it? You can't deflect "there is a problem with high level play" with "there just aren't any top protoss players" because "the top protoss players don't perform as well".

With what metric do you measure someone's skill/performance? Wins, right? Because there are inherent problems saying things like "Maru demolished Zest, but Zest is actually more skilled". You just couldn't tell unless he starts consistently beating him, right? We have only one indisputable metric, and everything else is just theorycrafters saying things like "he has more control groups, so he's better" and other nonsense.

This argument has been shit since people started using it in the GomTvT days. Yeah, we can't name any "top performers", that's what we are talking about.


No. That's a bunch of crap. I don't judge skill based on only results and anyone that does is wrong to do so. It's the same as when people treat aligulac as anything other than just a tool in a toolkit. Its rankings are not law and they never have ever been.

I judge skill based on what I see. On mechanics, on timings, on strategies, on executions, on decision making while under pressure etc. etc.

I judge that and then I compare it to results and I use the aggregate to judge how good someone is at the top level. Trap really is the best Protoss player in the world, WHEN he is playing well, but he's not consistent and that has more to do with his fragile nerves than anything that has to do with the race. I haven't seen any Protoss player currently playing that is not in the South Korean army at the moment that has anything close to level of skill that Trap does. Nowhere close. And Trap just is not as good as any of the elite 5 players I mentioned before.

Trap isn't as good as Maru, he isn't as good as Rogue, he isn't as good as Dark. He just isn't.

And there is no other Protoss player that can measure up to the level of skill that Trap has. Try and name one. You can't do it because one doesn't exist. Not right now anyway. I'm hoping that Classic or HerO (who just got BACK from the South Korean army) can get back into shape soon and I hope players like Maxpax or Goblin develop (unlikely) the way that Reynor or Clem did but aside from those things happening I just do not see any big influx of skilled Protoss players coming to the scene anytime soon.

Trap is the best they have and he just isn't as good as the elite 5 are.

Maru: 1 Premier tournament win in 2021.
Dark: 1 Premier tournament win in 2021.
Rogue: 3 Premier tournament wins in 2021.
Serral: 3 Premier tournament wins in 2021.
Reynor: 2 Premier tournament wins in 2021.

And these guys are in a completely different class than Trap, who... won 5 Premier tournaments in 2021? Why? How?

For a follow up question: Do you know how to count? Why exactly do you think that arguing Protoss players can't consistently compete at high levels is any sort of evidence against Protoss bring weaker, balance-wise?
Vindicare605
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
United States16126 Posts
December 20 2021 05:08 GMT
#573
On December 20 2021 14:05 darklycid wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 20 2021 13:57 Vindicare605 wrote:
On December 20 2021 13:52 darklycid wrote:
On December 20 2021 13:46 Vindicare605 wrote:
On December 20 2021 13:41 darklycid wrote:
On December 20 2021 13:33 Vindicare605 wrote:
On December 20 2021 12:53 Nebuchad wrote:
On December 20 2021 12:45 Beelzebub1 wrote:
On December 20 2021 12:36 Vindicare605 wrote:
On December 20 2021 12:18 Beelzebub1 wrote:
[quote]

I think this is half of the problem, the other problem is power creep. Simply put, Zerg got alot of new tools as time went on while Protoss were kind of limited long term due to Warp Gate.

I still think a targeted nerf of the Lurker would go a long way to improving ZvP as a whole. A smart poster in here recommended Psi Storm doing extra damage to burrowed units, and while I think it's an inelegant solution, I think the Lurker is specifically overpowered vs. Protoss compared to Terran.

Lurkers are powerful in ZvT as well, but they don't seem to put Terran on a timer the way they do to Protoss, Terran has at least semi consistent ways of dealing with them, even if using mass snipe is an APM/mechanical nightmare.


Protoss obviously has MANY design problems, I've mentioned the big one that I haven't shut up about since 2010 but there are others.

But that's not to say that Protoss as a race is WEAK by any means in the current meta because it's not. Protoss dominates the ladder in EU and NA and is even with Terran in Korea when Terran has ruled Korea in virtually every meta since 2010.

Protoss is doing just fine. They aren't showing results because the pool of TOP level talent for Protoss is weaker than it ever has been before and those 5 players plus a little bit of Cure thrown in are the ones winning literally everything right now. There is no Protoss on the level of those elite 5 right now. There just isn't.


No definitely not, like I said I think you're at least half right here. I know that the Protoss players here refuse to take this as anything other then anecdotal evidence but when you really ask yourself, "Whos the top 3 Protoss in the world?" and stack them against the top 3 Zerg in the world the talent disparity seems pretty apparent.


I've been having the reverse conversation but this is also not something you can state lol. It could also be that the reason why the top 3 protoss looks way worse than the top 3 zerg is because zerg is far superior to protoss and has been for a while, so they win more often and you associate that with talent.


That might be true except it's the same Zergs that keep winning and the field of Protoss players that show up just to be eaten in tournaments gets wider and wider.

Like I can't even remember the latest new Zerg player to come onto the scene. Reynor was legit the last one and the pace at which he shot to the top was incredible. It was OBVIOUS that he was something special.

I just don't remember the last time I saw that same thing from a Protoss player. I see loads of names I don't recognize qualifying. I see loads of green in the TL tournament brackets. I just don't see anyone separating themselves from the pack.

Maxpax?


But is he ready to be anything other than a small speed bump to the elite 5? I don't think so. I'd give him 25 to 1 odds at best to take a 5 game series in a major tournament off of one of them.

Hell I don't even have him as a hands down favorite in PvP from the rest of the pack of EU Protoss at the moment.

Well that's just dumb, his pvp is pretty much above all eu toss but showtime right now from the looks (esp if you factor in the randomness pvp has). And while not on the level of the top 5, his improvements are massive and he has separated himself from the pack.
Edit: also depends on what you mean by the pack, but at least in eu he has imo.


I could be convinced of that, I haven't seen enough of him in the smaller tournaments to really tell. But he hasn't shown me that in any of the big events.


Either way though, we can't seriously be comparing his "separating" from the pack to what Clem or Reynor did. That's the kind of separation I'm talking about. I don't see that from any Protoss players right now. If Maxpax is the latest we have, it's still a very tame rise compared to what those 2 did, and they are just the most recent of the bunch. Serral had a similar meteoric rise to the top as did other Zergs I can think of.

Then you remember their rise wrong,clems rise wasn't as fast as you remember but reynor i give to you he was rising pretty darn fast.


I shouldn't be comparing Clem to what Reynor did, that was truly special.

But Clem is at least a respectable world class, at least in one match up. Even Dark and Rogue have to give him due respect in TvZ.

So it's that kind of level I want to see from a new Protoss player. Even if it's slower than what Reynor did. I at least want to see it.
aka: KTVindicare the Geeky Bartender
Vindicare605
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
United States16126 Posts
December 20 2021 05:19 GMT
#574
On December 20 2021 14:06 QOGQOG wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 20 2021 12:52 Vindicare605 wrote:
On December 20 2021 12:44 WaesumNinja wrote:
On December 20 2021 11:58 Vindicare605 wrote:
On December 20 2021 11:50 WaesumNinja wrote:
The "maybe protoss players are just worse" or "protoss just doesn't have a strong top contender right now" arguments just don't hold, and it's baffling that this rhetoric keeps coming up after all this time. If protoss are underrepresented at the highest level of play then that is a very strong indication that something is not right.

Yeah sure Protoss has less mechanically demanding compositions which means that below pro level protoss will be more popular but I don't see why this somehow makes it fair that stronger players should have less tools? Like it's some sort of "ladder revenge".

Why are gateway units (barring early game trickery?) still garbage? Sure people like to whine about protoss aoe and mass air but what other options do they have since "midgame" is barely a thing anymore?


Go ahead and name a Protoss player that you think is as skilled as Maru, Dark, Rogue, Serral or Reynor?

Go ahead and name someone that is consistently a top performer as those 5 are.

Protoss DOES NOT have a consistent performer right now. They just don't. You can't name a player that you can say without embarassing yourself that has shown to have the same level of skill that those 5 players I mentioned have.


That's a bit of a catch-22 though, isn't it? You can't deflect "there is a problem with high level play" with "there just aren't any top protoss players" because "the top protoss players don't perform as well".

With what metric do you measure someone's skill/performance? Wins, right? Because there are inherent problems saying things like "Maru demolished Zest, but Zest is actually more skilled". You just couldn't tell unless he starts consistently beating him, right? We have only one indisputable metric, and everything else is just theorycrafters saying things like "he has more control groups, so he's better" and other nonsense.

This argument has been shit since people started using it in the GomTvT days. Yeah, we can't name any "top performers", that's what we are talking about.


No. That's a bunch of crap. I don't judge skill based on only results and anyone that does is wrong to do so. It's the same as when people treat aligulac as anything other than just a tool in a toolkit. Its rankings are not law and they never have ever been.

I judge skill based on what I see. On mechanics, on timings, on strategies, on executions, on decision making while under pressure etc. etc.

I judge that and then I compare it to results and I use the aggregate to judge how good someone is at the top level. Trap really is the best Protoss player in the world, WHEN he is playing well, but he's not consistent and that has more to do with his fragile nerves than anything that has to do with the race. I haven't seen any Protoss player currently playing that is not in the South Korean army at the moment that has anything close to level of skill that Trap does. Nowhere close. And Trap just is not as good as any of the elite 5 players I mentioned before.

Trap isn't as good as Maru, he isn't as good as Rogue, he isn't as good as Dark. He just isn't.

And there is no other Protoss player that can measure up to the level of skill that Trap has. Try and name one. You can't do it because one doesn't exist. Not right now anyway. I'm hoping that Classic or HerO (who just got BACK from the South Korean army) can get back into shape soon and I hope players like Maxpax or Goblin develop (unlikely) the way that Reynor or Clem did but aside from those things happening I just do not see any big influx of skilled Protoss players coming to the scene anytime soon.

Trap is the best they have and he just isn't as good as the elite 5 are.

Maru: 1 Premier tournament win in 2021.
Dark: 1 Premier tournament win in 2021.
Rogue: 3 Premier tournament wins in 2021.
Serral: 3 Premier tournament wins in 2021.
Reynor: 2 Premier tournament wins in 2021.

And these guys are in a completely different class than Trap, who... won 5 Premier tournaments in 2021? Why? How?

For a follow up question: Do you know how to count? Why exactly do you think that arguing Protoss players can't consistently compete at high levels is any sort of evidence against Protoss bring weaker, balance-wise?


Because it has ALWAYS been that way except in metas where Protoss is CLEARLY broken in some way or another.

Protoss hasn't produced many consistent players that stay relevant in several metas, and most of the ones they HAVE produced are either currently in or just coming back from the South Korean army. Trap and Zest are the only remainders.

In every meta we've seen since LotV how many EU Protoss players can you say have been consistently relevant at the top level? I can name one, Showtime. That's literally it. And he hasn't looked that hot lately.

When Terran or Zerg players are good they STAY good, regardless of what the meta looks like. It's been like that for a long time. That's a design issue with the race but it's not a balance issue because even during eras where Protoss is dominating it's a revolving door of players. The only time there's been a solid case of "1" Protoss champ has been when Rain was playing and now when Trap is pretty much all that's left.

Even if Trap won more than any other Protoss this year. I still don't say he's anywhere on the level of the elite 5. And I think you'd have a hard time convincing most dedicated SC2 fans that he is.
aka: KTVindicare the Geeky Bartender
darklycid
Profile Joined May 2014
3562 Posts
December 20 2021 05:44 GMT
#575
On December 20 2021 14:08 Vindicare605 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 20 2021 14:05 darklycid wrote:
On December 20 2021 13:57 Vindicare605 wrote:
On December 20 2021 13:52 darklycid wrote:
On December 20 2021 13:46 Vindicare605 wrote:
On December 20 2021 13:41 darklycid wrote:
On December 20 2021 13:33 Vindicare605 wrote:
On December 20 2021 12:53 Nebuchad wrote:
On December 20 2021 12:45 Beelzebub1 wrote:
On December 20 2021 12:36 Vindicare605 wrote:
[quote]

Protoss obviously has MANY design problems, I've mentioned the big one that I haven't shut up about since 2010 but there are others.

But that's not to say that Protoss as a race is WEAK by any means in the current meta because it's not. Protoss dominates the ladder in EU and NA and is even with Terran in Korea when Terran has ruled Korea in virtually every meta since 2010.

Protoss is doing just fine. They aren't showing results because the pool of TOP level talent for Protoss is weaker than it ever has been before and those 5 players plus a little bit of Cure thrown in are the ones winning literally everything right now. There is no Protoss on the level of those elite 5 right now. There just isn't.


No definitely not, like I said I think you're at least half right here. I know that the Protoss players here refuse to take this as anything other then anecdotal evidence but when you really ask yourself, "Whos the top 3 Protoss in the world?" and stack them against the top 3 Zerg in the world the talent disparity seems pretty apparent.


I've been having the reverse conversation but this is also not something you can state lol. It could also be that the reason why the top 3 protoss looks way worse than the top 3 zerg is because zerg is far superior to protoss and has been for a while, so they win more often and you associate that with talent.


That might be true except it's the same Zergs that keep winning and the field of Protoss players that show up just to be eaten in tournaments gets wider and wider.

Like I can't even remember the latest new Zerg player to come onto the scene. Reynor was legit the last one and the pace at which he shot to the top was incredible. It was OBVIOUS that he was something special.

I just don't remember the last time I saw that same thing from a Protoss player. I see loads of names I don't recognize qualifying. I see loads of green in the TL tournament brackets. I just don't see anyone separating themselves from the pack.

Maxpax?


But is he ready to be anything other than a small speed bump to the elite 5? I don't think so. I'd give him 25 to 1 odds at best to take a 5 game series in a major tournament off of one of them.

Hell I don't even have him as a hands down favorite in PvP from the rest of the pack of EU Protoss at the moment.

Well that's just dumb, his pvp is pretty much above all eu toss but showtime right now from the looks (esp if you factor in the randomness pvp has). And while not on the level of the top 5, his improvements are massive and he has separated himself from the pack.
Edit: also depends on what you mean by the pack, but at least in eu he has imo.


I could be convinced of that, I haven't seen enough of him in the smaller tournaments to really tell. But he hasn't shown me that in any of the big events.


Either way though, we can't seriously be comparing his "separating" from the pack to what Clem or Reynor did. That's the kind of separation I'm talking about. I don't see that from any Protoss players right now. If Maxpax is the latest we have, it's still a very tame rise compared to what those 2 did, and they are just the most recent of the bunch. Serral had a similar meteoric rise to the top as did other Zergs I can think of.

Then you remember their rise wrong,clems rise wasn't as fast as you remember but reynor i give to you he was rising pretty darn fast.


I shouldn't be comparing Clem to what Reynor did, that was truly special.

But Clem is at least a respectable world class, at least in one match up. Even Dark and Rogue have to give him due respect in TvZ.

So it's that kind of level I want to see from a new Protoss player. Even if it's slower than what Reynor did. I at least want to see it.

That is a bit too much to expect already the reynor level, i think maxpax looks like clem did around 2018 or so before he started to peak so imo he could vbery well become similar if he continues tro improve like he did (and i say that while not liking maxpax playstyle too much).
deacon.frost
Profile Joined February 2013
Czech Republic12133 Posts
Last Edited: 2021-12-20 10:01:08
December 20 2021 09:47 GMT
#576
On December 20 2021 12:44 WaesumNinja wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 20 2021 11:58 Vindicare605 wrote:
On December 20 2021 11:50 WaesumNinja wrote:
The "maybe protoss players are just worse" or "protoss just doesn't have a strong top contender right now" arguments just don't hold, and it's baffling that this rhetoric keeps coming up after all this time. If protoss are underrepresented at the highest level of play then that is a very strong indication that something is not right.

Yeah sure Protoss has less mechanically demanding compositions which means that below pro level protoss will be more popular but I don't see why this somehow makes it fair that stronger players should have less tools? Like it's some sort of "ladder revenge".

Why are gateway units (barring early game trickery?) still garbage? Sure people like to whine about protoss aoe and mass air but what other options do they have since "midgame" is barely a thing anymore?


Go ahead and name a Protoss player that you think is as skilled as Maru, Dark, Rogue, Serral or Reynor?

Go ahead and name someone that is consistently a top performer as those 5 are.

Protoss DOES NOT have a consistent performer right now. They just don't. You can't name a player that you can say without embarassing yourself that has shown to have the same level of skill that those 5 players I mentioned have.


That's a bit of a catch-22 though, isn't it? You can't deflect "there is a problem with high level play" with "there just aren't any top protoss players" because "the top protoss players don't perform as well".

With what metric do you measure someone's skill/performance? Wins, right? Because there are inherent problems saying things like "Maru demolished Zest, but Zest is actually more skilled". You just couldn't tell unless he starts consistently beating him, right? We have only one indisputable metric, and everything else is just theorycrafters saying things like "he has more control groups, so he's better" and other nonsense.

This argument has been shit since people started using it in the GomTvT days. Yeah, we can't name any "top performers", that's what we are talking about.

let me introduce you to Clasic, sOs and herO. All 3 players have what many call a killer mentality. Both Classic and herO showed on multiple occassions they have the top mechanics and they can win. OTOH both Stats and Trap showed on multiple occasions they have top notch mechanics but they cannot win anything. Let's call it soO effect. soO had one of the best mechanics Zerg could have had, especially in HOTS. Yet he didn't win anything, how so? Was that balance? Or was that something else?

Another great killer was Parting or MC.

Is Protoss the weaker race at the top level? Maybe? I honestly cannot tell, Protoss certainly is designed awfully. Does Protoss have a proper consistent championship material? At this moment - nope. At least not until herO and Classic get to their top level(and considering herO wasn't the top pre-military it's more a hopeful wish).

BUT YOU FORGOT ZEST!@#!!! Zest used to be a consistent Protoss. Nowadays he's more of a random result generator than anything else. And if nothing else Zest macro makes him impossible to put in the category of the top notch mechanical players anyway.

And again, both Stats and Trap had many opportunities to win shit and they rarely did. It's not that they haven't, it's the amount of 2nd places...

BUT BO7 AND PROTOSS!@#!!! Remember that in Korea most semis are BO7 and all the 2nd places finishing Protoss had to win a BO7 to get to the losing BO7 in the finals.

Edt> FYI I think zerg needs a nerf as both Terran and Protoss is weaker than the Zerg

On December 20 2021 14:19 Vindicare605 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 20 2021 14:06 QOGQOG wrote:
On December 20 2021 12:52 Vindicare605 wrote:
On December 20 2021 12:44 WaesumNinja wrote:
On December 20 2021 11:58 Vindicare605 wrote:
On December 20 2021 11:50 WaesumNinja wrote:
The "maybe protoss players are just worse" or "protoss just doesn't have a strong top contender right now" arguments just don't hold, and it's baffling that this rhetoric keeps coming up after all this time. If protoss are underrepresented at the highest level of play then that is a very strong indication that something is not right.

Yeah sure Protoss has less mechanically demanding compositions which means that below pro level protoss will be more popular but I don't see why this somehow makes it fair that stronger players should have less tools? Like it's some sort of "ladder revenge".

Why are gateway units (barring early game trickery?) still garbage? Sure people like to whine about protoss aoe and mass air but what other options do they have since "midgame" is barely a thing anymore?


Go ahead and name a Protoss player that you think is as skilled as Maru, Dark, Rogue, Serral or Reynor?

Go ahead and name someone that is consistently a top performer as those 5 are.

Protoss DOES NOT have a consistent performer right now. They just don't. You can't name a player that you can say without embarassing yourself that has shown to have the same level of skill that those 5 players I mentioned have.


That's a bit of a catch-22 though, isn't it? You can't deflect "there is a problem with high level play" with "there just aren't any top protoss players" because "the top protoss players don't perform as well".

With what metric do you measure someone's skill/performance? Wins, right? Because there are inherent problems saying things like "Maru demolished Zest, but Zest is actually more skilled". You just couldn't tell unless he starts consistently beating him, right? We have only one indisputable metric, and everything else is just theorycrafters saying things like "he has more control groups, so he's better" and other nonsense.

This argument has been shit since people started using it in the GomTvT days. Yeah, we can't name any "top performers", that's what we are talking about.


No. That's a bunch of crap. I don't judge skill based on only results and anyone that does is wrong to do so. It's the same as when people treat aligulac as anything other than just a tool in a toolkit. Its rankings are not law and they never have ever been.

I judge skill based on what I see. On mechanics, on timings, on strategies, on executions, on decision making while under pressure etc. etc.

I judge that and then I compare it to results and I use the aggregate to judge how good someone is at the top level. Trap really is the best Protoss player in the world, WHEN he is playing well, but he's not consistent and that has more to do with his fragile nerves than anything that has to do with the race. I haven't seen any Protoss player currently playing that is not in the South Korean army at the moment that has anything close to level of skill that Trap does. Nowhere close. And Trap just is not as good as any of the elite 5 players I mentioned before.

Trap isn't as good as Maru, he isn't as good as Rogue, he isn't as good as Dark. He just isn't.

And there is no other Protoss player that can measure up to the level of skill that Trap has. Try and name one. You can't do it because one doesn't exist. Not right now anyway. I'm hoping that Classic or HerO (who just got BACK from the South Korean army) can get back into shape soon and I hope players like Maxpax or Goblin develop (unlikely) the way that Reynor or Clem did but aside from those things happening I just do not see any big influx of skilled Protoss players coming to the scene anytime soon.

Trap is the best they have and he just isn't as good as the elite 5 are.

Maru: 1 Premier tournament win in 2021.
Dark: 1 Premier tournament win in 2021.
Rogue: 3 Premier tournament wins in 2021.
Serral: 3 Premier tournament wins in 2021.
Reynor: 2 Premier tournament wins in 2021.

And these guys are in a completely different class than Trap, who... won 5 Premier tournaments in 2021? Why? How?

For a follow up question: Do you know how to count? Why exactly do you think that arguing Protoss players can't consistently compete at high levels is any sort of evidence against Protoss bring weaker, balance-wise?


Because it has ALWAYS been that way except in metas where Protoss is CLEARLY broken in some way or another.

Protoss hasn't produced many consistent players that stay relevant in several metas, and most of the ones they HAVE produced are either currently in or just coming back from the South Korean army. Trap and Zest are the only remainders.

In every meta we've seen since LotV how many EU Protoss players can you say have been consistently relevant at the top level? I can name one, Showtime. That's literally it. And he hasn't looked that hot lately.

When Terran or Zerg players are good they STAY good, regardless of what the meta looks like. It's been like that for a long time. That's a design issue with the race but it's not a balance issue because even during eras where Protoss is dominating it's a revolving door of players. The only time there's been a solid case of "1" Protoss champ has been when Rain was playing and now when Trap is pretty much all that's left.

Even if Trap won more than any other Protoss this year. I still don't say he's anywhere on the level of the elite 5. And I think you'd have a hard time convincing most dedicated SC2 fans that he is.

OK, this is nonsense.
MC was good throughout the whole WOL, multiple metas, BLinfestor included.

But let's move to more current players.

Classic, Stats, herO, the old Zest, hots sOs. Like I get the shitting over Protoss but forgetting about Stats and Classic is just wrong on so many levels...
I imagine France should be able to take this unless Lilbow is busy practicing for Starcraft III. | KadaverBB is my fairy ban mother.
tigera6
Profile Joined March 2021
3516 Posts
December 20 2021 10:26 GMT
#577
On December 20 2021 14:06 QOGQOG wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 20 2021 12:52 Vindicare605 wrote:
On December 20 2021 12:44 WaesumNinja wrote:
On December 20 2021 11:58 Vindicare605 wrote:
On December 20 2021 11:50 WaesumNinja wrote:
The "maybe protoss players are just worse" or "protoss just doesn't have a strong top contender right now" arguments just don't hold, and it's baffling that this rhetoric keeps coming up after all this time. If protoss are underrepresented at the highest level of play then that is a very strong indication that something is not right.

Yeah sure Protoss has less mechanically demanding compositions which means that below pro level protoss will be more popular but I don't see why this somehow makes it fair that stronger players should have less tools? Like it's some sort of "ladder revenge".

Why are gateway units (barring early game trickery?) still garbage? Sure people like to whine about protoss aoe and mass air but what other options do they have since "midgame" is barely a thing anymore?


Go ahead and name a Protoss player that you think is as skilled as Maru, Dark, Rogue, Serral or Reynor?

Go ahead and name someone that is consistently a top performer as those 5 are.

Protoss DOES NOT have a consistent performer right now. They just don't. You can't name a player that you can say without embarassing yourself that has shown to have the same level of skill that those 5 players I mentioned have.


That's a bit of a catch-22 though, isn't it? You can't deflect "there is a problem with high level play" with "there just aren't any top protoss players" because "the top protoss players don't perform as well".

With what metric do you measure someone's skill/performance? Wins, right? Because there are inherent problems saying things like "Maru demolished Zest, but Zest is actually more skilled". You just couldn't tell unless he starts consistently beating him, right? We have only one indisputable metric, and everything else is just theorycrafters saying things like "he has more control groups, so he's better" and other nonsense.

This argument has been shit since people started using it in the GomTvT days. Yeah, we can't name any "top performers", that's what we are talking about.


No. That's a bunch of crap. I don't judge skill based on only results and anyone that does is wrong to do so. It's the same as when people treat aligulac as anything other than just a tool in a toolkit. Its rankings are not law and they never have ever been.

I judge skill based on what I see. On mechanics, on timings, on strategies, on executions, on decision making while under pressure etc. etc.

I judge that and then I compare it to results and I use the aggregate to judge how good someone is at the top level. Trap really is the best Protoss player in the world, WHEN he is playing well, but he's not consistent and that has more to do with his fragile nerves than anything that has to do with the race. I haven't seen any Protoss player currently playing that is not in the South Korean army at the moment that has anything close to level of skill that Trap does. Nowhere close. And Trap just is not as good as any of the elite 5 players I mentioned before.

Trap isn't as good as Maru, he isn't as good as Rogue, he isn't as good as Dark. He just isn't.

And there is no other Protoss player that can measure up to the level of skill that Trap has. Try and name one. You can't do it because one doesn't exist. Not right now anyway. I'm hoping that Classic or HerO (who just got BACK from the South Korean army) can get back into shape soon and I hope players like Maxpax or Goblin develop (unlikely) the way that Reynor or Clem did but aside from those things happening I just do not see any big influx of skilled Protoss players coming to the scene anytime soon.

Trap is the best they have and he just isn't as good as the elite 5 are.

Maru: 1 Premier tournament win in 2021.
Dark: 1 Premier tournament win in 2021.
Rogue: 3 Premier tournament wins in 2021.
Serral: 3 Premier tournament wins in 2021.
Reynor: 2 Premier tournament wins in 2021.

And these guys are in a completely different class than Trap, who... won 5 Premier tournaments in 2021? Why? How?

For a follow up question: Do you know how to count? Why exactly do you think that arguing Protoss players can't consistently compete at high levels is any sort of evidence against Protoss bring weaker, balance-wise?

About Trap, its clearly a matter of consistency. I mean, what was the difference between when he won those Premiere tournament and when he get eliminated early in other tournaments, other than himself? Trap plays a style of "Modern Protoss" that rely heavily on his early game micro with the Stargate opening. He needs to get his early Oracle/Phoenix build to deal worker damage and snowball that into a win. And when it doesnt work, either from Trap making mistake or his opponent play clean defense, Trap just couldnt get the advantage he wanted and eventually die out every time.
Vindicare605
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
United States16126 Posts
Last Edited: 2021-12-20 10:49:32
December 20 2021 10:48 GMT
#578
On December 20 2021 18:47 deacon.frost wrote:
Classic, Stats, herO, the old Zest, hots sOs. Like I get the shitting over Protoss but forgetting about Stats and Classic is just wrong on so many levels...


Reread my post again please.

Stats is in the military. Classic just got back, herO just back, Zest I mentioned already, and sOs is hardly what I think ANYONE in their right mind would call consistent. He's a tremendous player with an awesome legacy but he won that off of being very streaky and with a playstyle that speaks for itself. It's not the kind of consistent success we've seen from players of the other two races.

You also forgot Parting who ALSO is in the military btw.
aka: KTVindicare the Geeky Bartender
Charoisaur
Profile Joined August 2014
Germany16097 Posts
December 20 2021 12:15 GMT
#579
In HotS Protoss won the most championships and Zerg was the Kong race (soO, Jaedong, ByuL).
With LotV that flipped and the top Zergs (yeah I know, different ones) suddenly became stone cold killers and the top Protoss players (even champions like Zest, sOs and Classic) suddenly turned from champions to 2nd place finishers with fragile nerves.
Many of the coolest moments in sc2 happen due to worker harassment
deacon.frost
Profile Joined February 2013
Czech Republic12133 Posts
Last Edited: 2021-12-20 12:37:46
December 20 2021 12:33 GMT
#580
On December 20 2021 19:48 Vindicare605 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 20 2021 18:47 deacon.frost wrote:
Classic, Stats, herO, the old Zest, hots sOs. Like I get the shitting over Protoss but forgetting about Stats and Classic is just wrong on so many levels...


Reread my post again please.

Stats is in the military. Classic just got back, herO just back, Zest I mentioned already, and sOs is hardly what I think ANYONE in their right mind would call consistent. He's a tremendous player with an awesome legacy but he won that off of being very streaky and with a playstyle that speaks for itself. It's not the kind of consistent success we've seen from players of the other two races.

You also forgot Parting who ALSO is in the military btw.

Asking to rereading your post when you missed me writing about hots sOs who was pretty consistent for the style he played.

On December 20 2021 21:15 Charoisaur wrote:
In HotS Protoss won the most championships and Zerg was the Kong race (soO, Jaedong, ByuL).
With LotV that flipped and the top Zergs (yeah I know, different ones) suddenly became stone cold killers and the top Protoss players (even champions like Zest, sOs and Classic) suddenly turned from champions to 2nd place finishers with fragile nerves.

the case of sOs is ezpz to explain. sOs was mindgaming masterming with rather bad mechanics(I mean for the top championship level). LOTV increased the importance of mechanics and the mastermind wasn't enough, so the more the game was thought out the more sOs has fallen. Rewatch some of his game, he wasn't that good mechanically. LOTV was basically created as anti-sOs.

The case of Zest is the same. Zest plays this game in a turn based style. He has his macro turns and then his micro turns. So again - the lack of mechanics means the lack of Zest stability.

Classic was a top notch contender for every title until his military departure, I don't think anyone menioned him as the nervous one. The nervous ones are usually Trap and Stats(and nobody said they cannot win, it's just they need many tries)

Edit>
Also the fun part is that in hots we knew several things
* there will be regural patches
* there's one more expansion to go
* there will be frequent map updates

We can't rely on any of these points. The map updates are still a thing but I wouldn't call them frequent or reliable
I imagine France should be able to take this unless Lilbow is busy practicing for Starcraft III. | KadaverBB is my fairy ban mother.
Prev 1 27 28 29 30 31 46 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 11h 35m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ViBE149
Nina 118
Nathanias 48
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 15947
Artosis 335
White-Ra 284
ToSsGirL 23
Dota 2
monkeys_forever343
NeuroSwarm108
League of Legends
Doublelift3980
Counter-Strike
fl0m1382
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox646
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1937
Liquid`Hasu1521
Trikslyr56
Other Games
summit1g7507
Grubby3353
ArmadaUGS1312
shahzam558
JimRising 244
C9.Mang0208
ZombieGrub62
Mew2King43
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV222
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream125
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• musti20045 35
• davetesta27
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 40
• Azhi_Dahaki19
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie1129
• Scarra1031
• Shiphtur278
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
11h 35m
OSC
14h 35m
Stellar Fest
14h 35m
OSC
1d 1h
Stellar Fest
1d 14h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.