• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 15:01
CEST 21:01
KST 04:01
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9481 users

Ladder Revamp - Page 17

Forum Index > SC2 General
373 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 15 16 17 18 19 Next All
Alchemik
Profile Joined March 2014
Poland7124 Posts
July 14 2016 08:46 GMT
#321
On July 14 2016 03:07 [PkF] Wire wrote:
wow I actually struggled like a noob to get master 3. It's strange since I've been easily master for seasons, so I should have been in m3 without question since master league is bigger. I admit I even expected to be master 2.

didn't master actually get smaller now? wasn't it like 7-8%?
[PkF] Wire
Profile Joined March 2013
France24239 Posts
July 14 2016 08:47 GMT
#322
On July 14 2016 17:46 Alchemik wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 14 2016 03:07 [PkF] Wire wrote:
wow I actually struggled like a noob to get master 3. It's strange since I've been easily master for seasons, so I should have been in m3 without question since master league is bigger. I admit I even expected to be master 2.

didn't master actually get smaller now? wasn't it like 7-8%?

apparently it was 2% last season (according to http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/starcraft-2/511586-comparison-of-league-distributions)
Alchemik
Profile Joined March 2014
Poland7124 Posts
July 14 2016 09:09 GMT
#323
On July 14 2016 17:47 [PkF] Wire wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 14 2016 17:46 Alchemik wrote:
On July 14 2016 03:07 [PkF] Wire wrote:
wow I actually struggled like a noob to get master 3. It's strange since I've been easily master for seasons, so I should have been in m3 without question since master league is bigger. I admit I even expected to be master 2.

didn't master actually get smaller now? wasn't it like 7-8%?

apparently it was 2% last season (according to http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/starcraft-2/511586-comparison-of-league-distributions)

wasn't that only how Blizz wanted it to be, but the real distribution was different? uhh, I'm not sure anymore
[PkF] Wire
Profile Joined March 2013
France24239 Posts
July 14 2016 09:10 GMT
#324
On July 14 2016 18:09 Alchemik wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 14 2016 17:47 [PkF] Wire wrote:
On July 14 2016 17:46 Alchemik wrote:
On July 14 2016 03:07 [PkF] Wire wrote:
wow I actually struggled like a noob to get master 3. It's strange since I've been easily master for seasons, so I should have been in m3 without question since master league is bigger. I admit I even expected to be master 2.

didn't master actually get smaller now? wasn't it like 7-8%?

apparently it was 2% last season (according to http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/starcraft-2/511586-comparison-of-league-distributions)

wasn't that only how Blizz wanted it to be, but the real distribution was different? uhh, I'm not sure anymore

I explored the thing a bit and apparently it was more around 6.5%. So yeah I guess I was just in the lower tiers and had to struggle to get master 3.
paralleluniverse
Profile Joined July 2010
4065 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-07-15 07:38:30
July 15 2016 07:37 GMT
#325
So it is possible to be promoted under provisional MMR.

I had been on Silver 3 with a full bar for a while and got promoted to Silver 2, while still under provisional MMR. The promotion is not immediate upon reaching full bar.

But you don't get promoted to where you should be, which according to my non-provisional MMR is Gold 1.
Excalibur_Z
Profile Joined October 2002
United States12257 Posts
July 15 2016 08:10 GMT
#326
Seems like it wants to be extra extra cautious when you have a provisional rating. That's good info, thanks. What was your provisional MMR when you finally did get promoted? What was the buffer?
Moderator
paralleluniverse
Profile Joined July 2010
4065 Posts
July 15 2016 09:19 GMT
#327
On July 15 2016 17:10 Excalibur_Z wrote:
Seems like it wants to be extra extra cautious when you have a provisional rating. That's good info, thanks. What was your provisional MMR when you finally did get promoted? What was the buffer?

Before promotion:
MMR: 3361
Provisional MMR: 2778

After promotion:
MMR: 3425
Provisional MMR: 2841

Silver Tier 2 to Tier 3 boundary: 2786

Note that passing the boundary with provisional MMR doesn't ensure promotion, as I've had a full bar 2 or 3 times before.
paralleluniverse
Profile Joined July 2010
4065 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-07-15 14:21:06
July 15 2016 14:19 GMT
#328
My MMR stop being provisional after 24 games, then I got promoted to Gold 1.

Provisional MMR does not converge to true MMR. But it should.

The game before promotion I was Silver 2, with provisional MMR 2768 and true MMR 3352, a big gap. After the promotion game, my true MMR was 3396. In fact, from the start, my provisional MMR was 2705, and it never really changed much despite the gap.

Provisional MMR doesn't make much sense.

One would expect that the correct way to do provisional MMR is MMR-k*sigma, where k starts off at 2 and decreases to 0 over 25 games, allowing for promotion along the way depending on provisional MMR.
Excalibur_Z
Profile Joined October 2002
United States12257 Posts
July 15 2016 16:16 GMT
#329
So before promotion the MMR gap between actual and provisional was 583, and after it was 584. There's probably some rounding there which means it actually stayed the same. On SEA, my actual-provisional gap was 513 (3740-3227). Maybe the gap stays at 2 standard deviations? It would make more sense to me if it gradually converged toward your actual MMR, but expressing confidence in stdev terms also seems reasonable (if a bit more jarring for the player).
Moderator
Bojas
Profile Joined December 2010
Netherlands2397 Posts
July 15 2016 17:21 GMT
#330
On July 14 2016 18:09 Alchemik wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 14 2016 17:47 [PkF] Wire wrote:
On July 14 2016 17:46 Alchemik wrote:
On July 14 2016 03:07 [PkF] Wire wrote:
wow I actually struggled like a noob to get master 3. It's strange since I've been easily master for seasons, so I should have been in m3 without question since master league is bigger. I admit I even expected to be master 2.

didn't master actually get smaller now? wasn't it like 7-8%?

apparently it was 2% last season (according to http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/starcraft-2/511586-comparison-of-league-distributions)

wasn't that only how Blizz wanted it to be, but the real distribution was different? uhh, I'm not sure anymore

Rankedftw had it at 8%, since basically the release of LotV. If it's actually 4% currently like they said it should be, then it makes sense that it's harder now.
Jan1997
Profile Blog Joined April 2013
Norway671 Posts
July 17 2016 15:38 GMT
#331
One small rant I'd like to make is that I actually tried for the first time to get back into 1v1. But the truth as far as I can see is that the new system sucks.

Basically what happened is that I got stuck in gold 1 with 4k mmr. I had easily 60%+ win loss ratio vs my diamond opponents and after 20+ games of that I was still stuck in gold 1 with that mmr. It's super weird because appearantly gold 1 stops at 3200'ish but i was at 4k blank and no promotion to plat 3 at all.

I also don't like the fact that if i lose 1 single game then my promotion bar goes all the way down and I need like 5-6 wins in a row to get anything done.

Hopeless system :/
Do something today that your future self will be thankful for.
Excalibur_Z
Profile Joined October 2002
United States12257 Posts
July 17 2016 16:48 GMT
#332
It says in the ? button popup that you have a provisional MMR, which can delay your promotions. The provisional state lasts for about 25 games. After that, your real MMR takes over.
Moderator
LordYama
Profile Joined August 2010
United States370 Posts
July 17 2016 17:44 GMT
#333
Yeah, Jan1997, it just would have taken playing a little more in your case I think. If you were winning even 50% versus Diamond, or even being placed against them, it's probably just needing some more games to "validate" statistically its sense of your ranking. So probably not that much different than before except actually showing numbers in this system.

Is it possible to get demoted to a lower tier within a league during a season? Like from Gold 1 to Gold 2?
Excalibur_Z
Profile Joined October 2002
United States12257 Posts
July 17 2016 17:48 GMT
#334
On July 18 2016 02:44 LordYama wrote:
Yeah, Jan1997, it just would have taken playing a little more in your case I think. If you were winning even 50% versus Diamond, or even being placed against them, it's probably just needing some more games to "validate" statistically its sense of your ranking. So probably not that much different than before except actually showing numbers in this system.

Is it possible to get demoted to a lower tier within a league during a season? Like from Gold 1 to Gold 2?


No, demotions are still disabled.
Moderator
pundurs
Profile Joined August 2014
Latvia38 Posts
July 17 2016 18:34 GMT
#335
On July 18 2016 00:38 Jan1997 wrote:
Hopeless system :/


I don't think the system has changed from before. Only now you see what's going on behind the scenes.
Jan1997
Profile Blog Joined April 2013
Norway671 Posts
July 18 2016 01:57 GMT
#336
Update: I played some more games and got into Diamond 3. Yay! No more 4k mmr gold lol.
Do something today that your future self will be thankful for.
Hexe
Profile Joined August 2014
United States332 Posts
July 18 2016 03:58 GMT
#337
fix Dasan Station mules land outside the gold. FIX IT NOW. I though Testbug was just a name.
geokilla
Profile Joined May 2011
Canada8255 Posts
July 18 2016 04:41 GMT
#338
On July 18 2016 02:48 Excalibur_Z wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 18 2016 02:44 LordYama wrote:
Yeah, Jan1997, it just would have taken playing a little more in your case I think. If you were winning even 50% versus Diamond, or even being placed against them, it's probably just needing some more games to "validate" statistically its sense of your ranking. So probably not that much different than before except actually showing numbers in this system.

Is it possible to get demoted to a lower tier within a league during a season? Like from Gold 1 to Gold 2?


No, demotions are still disabled.

I wish they brought it back... Having MMR shown means nothing if you can't get demoted.
Excalibur_Z
Profile Joined October 2002
United States12257 Posts
July 18 2016 06:10 GMT
#339
On July 18 2016 13:41 geokilla wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 18 2016 02:48 Excalibur_Z wrote:
On July 18 2016 02:44 LordYama wrote:
Yeah, Jan1997, it just would have taken playing a little more in your case I think. If you were winning even 50% versus Diamond, or even being placed against them, it's probably just needing some more games to "validate" statistically its sense of your ranking. So probably not that much different than before except actually showing numbers in this system.

Is it possible to get demoted to a lower tier within a league during a season? Like from Gold 1 to Gold 2?


No, demotions are still disabled.

I wish they brought it back... Having MMR shown means nothing if you can't get demoted.


It's probably fine honestly. People will memorize the MMR min and max for their tier and you'll instantly recognize whether your opponent was a "real" same/next-leaguer or whether they're below the MMR floor. If it's the latter then they get demoted next season anyway.
Moderator
deacon.frost
Profile Joined February 2013
Czech Republic12134 Posts
July 18 2016 07:56 GMT
#340
On July 18 2016 03:34 pundurs wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 18 2016 00:38 Jan1997 wrote:
Hopeless system :/


I don't think the system has changed from before. Only now you see what's going on behind the scenes.

Which means that if you think you are playing players who you are supposed to not play and it is exactly like that you CAN report a BUG!
I imagine France should be able to take this unless Lilbow is busy practicing for Starcraft III. | KadaverBB is my fairy ban mother.
Prev 1 15 16 17 18 19 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Monday Night Weeklies
01:00
#66
TKL 1868
RotterdaM944
TaKeTV 361
IndyStarCraft 208
SteadfastSC107
ZombieGrub93
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
TKL 1868
RotterdaM 944
IndyStarCraft 208
MaxPax 183
RuFF_SC2 131
SteadfastSC 107
ZombieGrub93
UpATreeSC 72
MindelVK 17
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 3016
Shuttle 589
Dewaltoss 102
910 74
Zeus 72
Mind 67
ToSsGirL 20
Bale 15
Dota 2
qojqva3424
Counter-Strike
fl0m5266
pashabiceps1352
Fnx 667
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4186
Liquid`Hasu442
Other Games
singsing1980
Beastyqt767
ceh9467
mouzStarbuck357
C9.Mang0138
ToD103
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV207
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream24
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• kabyraGe 148
• StrangeGG 36
• Reevou 7
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• 80smullet 19
• Eskiya23 13
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie598
• Shiphtur267
Upcoming Events
Replay Cast
3h 59m
Afreeca Starleague
14h 59m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
15h 59m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 4h
Patches Events
1d 20h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
OSC
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.