• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 03:13
CEST 09:13
KST 16:13
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon102Weekly Cups (Aug 30-Sep 7): herO thrives amid growing schism10
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) Blizzard Classic Cup @ BlizzCon 2026 - $100k prize pool
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ StarCraft Human 'N' AI League
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 11022 users

WCS 2016: The Life and Death of the Foreigner Narrative -…

Forum Index > SC2 General
205 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All
Elentos
Profile Blog Joined February 2015
55594 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-12-19 22:59:20
December 19 2015 22:56 GMT
#141
On December 20 2015 07:42 looken wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 20 2015 06:55 stuchiu wrote:
Just look at WCS 2015, the entire argument was that with only 3 WCS for foreigners, there wasn't enough motivation for foreigners to practice. That goes the exact same for the Korean scene.

Just like how only 3 WCS tournaments is unequivocally worse than the ~11 tournaments this year, only 5 tournaments for Koreans is unequivocally worse than the 8 last year, especially because there are no guarantees of international tournaments to play in.

That might be true, but then again, doesnt Korea generally do what they want? Did Blizzard actually tell them to only run two GSLs in 2016? I mean at least i didn't see Blizzard telling Korea how to do it. If i didnt get that please correct me, but if it wasnt Blizz who told them what to do you cant really blame their system for less tournaments in Korea can you?

To make it so more people can follow these exciting tournaments and to open up space in the schedule for the cross-finals, each league will operate two seasons next year, with a significant increase in prize pool for the leagues. We are also working with our partners to offer GSL and SSL rebroadcasts during additional peak times.

From the official announcement. Sure makes it sound like it was Blizzard. GSL and SSL weren't exactly in dire need of the cross-competition event. And they're probably not behind the huge increase in prize pool either since the prize pool for 1 GSL in the new system is way beyond 2 leagues in the previous system.
On December 20 2015 07:53 stuchiu wrote:
Gumiho is not on par with Innovation. Sangho was not on par with Zest. Pet is not on par with Life.

Comparing GuMiho with Sangho and Pet is pretty savage, even for you
Every 60 seconds in Africa, a minute passes.
Diabolique
Profile Joined June 2015
Czech Republic5118 Posts
December 19 2015 23:13 GMT
#142
On December 20 2015 07:53 stuchiu wrote:
Koreans are not on par with Koreans. Gumiho is not on par with Innovation. Sangho was not on par with Zest. Pet is not on par with Life. There is a distinct elite tier of players that can consistently make a ro8. That shortens when you get to the ro4 and becomes even smaller for a championship contender. I don't see why everyone's fine just throwing away the low-mid tier of Korean players to the wolves.

As for your second point, by your logic we should be be lessening the amount of WCS foreigner only tournaments so that the foreigners get more motivation and practice more for those fewer chances. Oh no wait, that didnt work, all of the lower to mid tier foreigners lost motivation, just like how all of the low-mid tier Koreans will now too. (They were already being squeezed out of the scene as they have had the most retirements from 2013 to now).

The system was made in tandem with all their partners. I just assume Blizzard did it this way, but if they want to come out and say it was all GSL/SSL's decision that's up to them. Just don't sell it to me that's it good for the foreigner scene to have more tournaments and then sell it to me that it's also better for the Korean scene to have less tournaments.

Thank you Stuchiu. This is exactly the problem, I see. People can discuss, whether the changes will be better for the foreign scene. There are reasons pro, there are reasons against. Probably, the pros are bigger. For fans and viewers, it is a bad change. But we will survive it.

But for TOP and MID level Koreans, this is a catastrophy. For people like Gumiho, Rogue and even for Maru and sOs, What a pity, they do not have some "gamer unions", who could publicly state their opinion and e.g. announce some kind of boycotting BlizzCon completely. That is what Blizzard would deserve.
sOs | Rogue | Maru | Trap | Scarlett | Snute | MC
looken
Profile Joined September 2011
727 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-12-19 23:29:26
December 19 2015 23:27 GMT
#143
On December 20 2015 07:53 stuchiu wrote:
Koreans are not on par with Koreans. Gumiho is not on par with Innovation. Sangho was not on par with Zest. Pet is not on par with Life. There is a distinct elite tier of players that can consistently make a ro8. That shortens when you get to the ro4 and becomes even smaller for a championship contender. I don't see why everyone's fine just throwing away the low-mid tier of Korean players to the wolves.

As for your second point, by your logic we should be be lessening the amount of WCS foreigner only tournaments so that the foreigners get more motivation and practice more for those fewer chances. Oh no wait, that didnt work, all of the lower to mid tier foreigners lost motivation, just like how all of the low-mid tier Koreans will now too. (They were already being squeezed out of the scene as they have had the most retirements from 2013 to now).

The system was made in tandem with all their partners. I just assume Blizzard did it this way, but if they want to come out and say it was all GSL/SSL's decision that's up to them. Just don't sell it to me that's it good for the foreigner scene to have more tournaments and then sell it to me that it's also better for the Korean scene to have less tournaments.


obviously not all Koreans are equally good but the opportunity to practice and increase their skill is the same for ALL of them.

I explained in length why i think lesser tournaments in Korea might have a different effect than lesser tournaments in the rest of the world. if you disagree with my point thats obviously up to you, yet the history of SCII so far doesnt back what your article is claiming.
"Jingle Bells, Tasteless smells" Artosis 17.12.15
stuchiu
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Fiddler's Green42661 Posts
December 19 2015 23:30 GMT
#144
Huh I said the new system is better for foreigners, how does the history of SC2 not back what I said?
Moderator
looken
Profile Joined September 2011
727 Posts
December 19 2015 23:32 GMT
#145
On December 20 2015 08:30 stuchiu wrote:
Huh I said the new system is better for foreigners, how does the history of SC2 not back what I said?

wait what didnt you say its way worse? now i'm confused... its late over here... *hmpf*
"Jingle Bells, Tasteless smells" Artosis 17.12.15
KrazyTrumpet
Profile Joined April 2010
United States2520 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-12-20 04:21:32
December 20 2015 04:21 GMT
#146
On December 20 2015 08:13 Diabolique wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 20 2015 07:53 stuchiu wrote:
Koreans are not on par with Koreans. Gumiho is not on par with Innovation. Sangho was not on par with Zest. Pet is not on par with Life. There is a distinct elite tier of players that can consistently make a ro8. That shortens when you get to the ro4 and becomes even smaller for a championship contender. I don't see why everyone's fine just throwing away the low-mid tier of Korean players to the wolves.

As for your second point, by your logic we should be be lessening the amount of WCS foreigner only tournaments so that the foreigners get more motivation and practice more for those fewer chances. Oh no wait, that didnt work, all of the lower to mid tier foreigners lost motivation, just like how all of the low-mid tier Koreans will now too. (They were already being squeezed out of the scene as they have had the most retirements from 2013 to now).

The system was made in tandem with all their partners. I just assume Blizzard did it this way, but if they want to come out and say it was all GSL/SSL's decision that's up to them. Just don't sell it to me that's it good for the foreigner scene to have more tournaments and then sell it to me that it's also better for the Korean scene to have less tournaments.

For fans and viewers, it is a bad change. But we will survive it.



Well, that's just your very biased and narrow-minded opinion.

The foreign scene has been practically dead for two years, because Korean players just stomp on everyone, and stifle a lot of opportunities. You have to have regional development before you throw everyone at the elite competition or else everything just dies before it even starts. I want MORE shit like Nation Wars, more western players battling it out among themselves to improve at a more reasonable pace. You don't improve by getting shat on by a top tier Korean player at an international event in a single Bo3 every couple months.

I also love the insistence that the currently announced Korean tournaments are literally the only tournaments that will ever happen or be allowed in 2016 and that there will literally be no outside tournaments any Korean will ever be able to compete in, ever.

Do you all really, REALLY think that Blizzard would just entirely take a shit on the whole Korean scene? Do you really think they would bother announcing WCS Global Events without having at least a few planned?

Holy shit the hardcore SC2 fanbase is really frustrating to try to reason with sometimes.
www.twitch.tv/krazy Best Stream Quality NA @KClarkSC2
waiting2Bbanned
Profile Joined November 2015
United States154 Posts
December 20 2015 04:54 GMT
#147
The way I see it there are two ways to doing this: 1) no region lock whatsoever, which is bad for the foreign scene for obvious reasons (Koreans win it all, no incentive for any foreigner to even try), and 2) THIS new 2016 " foreign welfare system", which is the other extreme, giving handouts to foreigners while lowering the scene's skill level or motivation to ever get better (while also screwing all the up-and-coming koreans in the process).
IMHO the 2015 system had a pretty good balance, and with some minor tweaks it could be improved year-to-year; instead Blizz went full foreign welfare.. I gotta say I'm pretty disappointed by this..
"If you are going to break the law, do it with two thousand people.. and Mozart." - Howard Zinn
waiting2Bbanned
Profile Joined November 2015
United States154 Posts
December 20 2015 05:00 GMT
#148
BTW, as a viewer I gotta say I'd rather watch high quality matches without any foreigners any day, and by forcing lots of really good korean players to quit/retire or give up on their careers as pro-gamers by favoring lower skilled foreigner players Blizz is lowering the quality of the matches and the entertainment value of the matches. I cannot see how this is going to benefit the SC2 scene as a whole in the long run.
"If you are going to break the law, do it with two thousand people.. and Mozart." - Howard Zinn
Diabolique
Profile Joined June 2015
Czech Republic5118 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-12-20 05:47:06
December 20 2015 05:42 GMT
#149
On December 20 2015 13:54 waiting2Bbanned wrote:
The way I see it there are two ways to doing this: 1) no region lock whatsoever, which is bad for the foreign scene for obvious reasons (Koreans win it all, no incentive for any foreigner to even try), and 2) THIS new 2016 " foreign welfare system", which is the other extreme, giving handouts to foreigners while lowering the scene's skill level or motivation to ever get better (while also screwing all the up-and-coming koreans in the process).
IMHO the 2015 system had a pretty good balance, and with some minor tweaks it could be improved year-to-year; instead Blizz went full foreign welfare.. I gotta say I'm pretty disappointed by this..

Exactly. Blizzard went from one extreme to the other extreme. And 2015 was good, it had the welfare for the losers, it also had good tournaments for the elite. And the mix was reasonable.
sOs | Rogue | Maru | Trap | Scarlett | Snute | MC
Diabolique
Profile Joined June 2015
Czech Republic5118 Posts
December 20 2015 05:46 GMT
#150
On December 20 2015 13:21 KrazyTrumpet wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 20 2015 08:13 Diabolique wrote:
On December 20 2015 07:53 stuchiu wrote:
Koreans are not on par with Koreans. Gumiho is not on par with Innovation. Sangho was not on par with Zest. Pet is not on par with Life. There is a distinct elite tier of players that can consistently make a ro8. That shortens when you get to the ro4 and becomes even smaller for a championship contender. I don't see why everyone's fine just throwing away the low-mid tier of Korean players to the wolves.

As for your second point, by your logic we should be be lessening the amount of WCS foreigner only tournaments so that the foreigners get more motivation and practice more for those fewer chances. Oh no wait, that didnt work, all of the lower to mid tier foreigners lost motivation, just like how all of the low-mid tier Koreans will now too. (They were already being squeezed out of the scene as they have had the most retirements from 2013 to now).

The system was made in tandem with all their partners. I just assume Blizzard did it this way, but if they want to come out and say it was all GSL/SSL's decision that's up to them. Just don't sell it to me that's it good for the foreigner scene to have more tournaments and then sell it to me that it's also better for the Korean scene to have less tournaments.

For fans and viewers, it is a bad change. But we will survive it.



Well, that's just your very biased and narrow-minded opinion.

The foreign scene has been practically dead for two years, because Korean players just stomp on everyone, and stifle a lot of opportunities. You have to have regional development before you throw everyone at the elite competition or else everything just dies before it even starts. I want MORE shit like Nation Wars, more western players battling it out among themselves to improve at a more reasonable pace. You don't improve by getting shat on by a top tier Korean player at an international event in a single Bo3 every couple months.

I also love the insistence that the currently announced Korean tournaments are literally the only tournaments that will ever happen or be allowed in 2016 and that there will literally be no outside tournaments any Korean will ever be able to compete in, ever.

Do you all really, REALLY think that Blizzard would just entirely take a shit on the whole Korean scene? Do you really think they would bother announcing WCS Global Events without having at least a few planned?

Holy shit the hardcore SC2 fanbase is really frustrating to try to reason with sometimes.

I understand your naivity. When I was a kid, I was naive, too. I am not saying, the foreign scene will not benefit from it. I believe, at the end, Blizzard will do one Global tournament. But I am really pissed off at every blind person, who does not see, how they are trying to screw the Korean scene. Just look at the result. The number of announced retirements which is happening THESE DAYS. And i am sure, it is just the beginning.
sOs | Rogue | Maru | Trap | Scarlett | Snute | MC
Cytokinesis
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada330 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-12-20 08:03:59
December 20 2015 06:23 GMT
#151
I think it's a great long-term move. I think the structure is greatly akin to what Riot does with LCS. Yes, you probably won't be seeing any champions come out regions that don't start with Korea, but it's all about building up an infrastructure that can even allow fostering that development. The big improvement is that it will, ideally (just like it did with LCS), build up huge viewership in the respective regions which increases marketability and incoming money. It's a lot easier to find sponsors for a league that services pretty much viewers in only that region. And even though I'm on TL right now, the vast majority of people do not care if it's the highest level of competition that they are watching and instead like the players they are watching. This has been proven in cs:go, lol, dota and professional sports (maple leafs fans, anyone?). So even if the regions become more isolated (less *global* events) each region will grow on it's own.

Yes, if all you care about is getting the best competitors than it doesn't make sense. But if you want the scene to live, and eventually thrive, it's the only sensible move to try to keep it alive in the west. I mean I haven't even watched or cared about SC since 2012 and with this announcement I am excited for what is to come and gives me hope for the future as getting back into it and seeing the foreigner scene now is downright depressing. I know the same for a lot of the people I was into SC with at that time too. I think there are a lot of parables to take from the LCS structure and apply it here, since I think they are basically the same thing. That's not to say it's perfect, or necessarily a good system, but in regards to specifically growing the game and promoting it a western audience it is the best move they can make. And at the end of the day it's all about long-term, stable, growth.

I will say that I am actually not a fan of this system because I do greatly enjoy the more international competition but the benefits that it brings are undeniable.
Ive seen people who dont believe in sleep count sheep with calculators that double as alarm clocks
Cascade
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
Australia5405 Posts
December 20 2015 06:34 GMT
#152
On December 20 2015 14:46 Diabolique wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 20 2015 13:21 KrazyTrumpet wrote:
On December 20 2015 08:13 Diabolique wrote:
On December 20 2015 07:53 stuchiu wrote:
Koreans are not on par with Koreans. Gumiho is not on par with Innovation. Sangho was not on par with Zest. Pet is not on par with Life. There is a distinct elite tier of players that can consistently make a ro8. That shortens when you get to the ro4 and becomes even smaller for a championship contender. I don't see why everyone's fine just throwing away the low-mid tier of Korean players to the wolves.

As for your second point, by your logic we should be be lessening the amount of WCS foreigner only tournaments so that the foreigners get more motivation and practice more for those fewer chances. Oh no wait, that didnt work, all of the lower to mid tier foreigners lost motivation, just like how all of the low-mid tier Koreans will now too. (They were already being squeezed out of the scene as they have had the most retirements from 2013 to now).

The system was made in tandem with all their partners. I just assume Blizzard did it this way, but if they want to come out and say it was all GSL/SSL's decision that's up to them. Just don't sell it to me that's it good for the foreigner scene to have more tournaments and then sell it to me that it's also better for the Korean scene to have less tournaments.

For fans and viewers, it is a bad change. But we will survive it.



Well, that's just your very biased and narrow-minded opinion.

The foreign scene has been practically dead for two years, because Korean players just stomp on everyone, and stifle a lot of opportunities. You have to have regional development before you throw everyone at the elite competition or else everything just dies before it even starts. I want MORE shit like Nation Wars, more western players battling it out among themselves to improve at a more reasonable pace. You don't improve by getting shat on by a top tier Korean player at an international event in a single Bo3 every couple months.

I also love the insistence that the currently announced Korean tournaments are literally the only tournaments that will ever happen or be allowed in 2016 and that there will literally be no outside tournaments any Korean will ever be able to compete in, ever.

Do you all really, REALLY think that Blizzard would just entirely take a shit on the whole Korean scene? Do you really think they would bother announcing WCS Global Events without having at least a few planned?

Holy shit the hardcore SC2 fanbase is really frustrating to try to reason with sometimes.

I understand your naivity. When I was a kid, I was naive, too. I am not saying, the foreign scene will not benefit from it. I believe, at the end, Blizzard will do one Global tournament. But I am really pissed off at every blind person, who does not see, how they are trying to screw the Korean scene. Just look at the result. The number of announced retirements which is happening THESE DAYS. And i am sure, it is just the beginning.

I think it is normal that people retire in e-sports (as in any sport). sc2 has been around for a long time, and starcraft pros usually start to struggle when they get too far into their twenties. That went for sc:bw as well I assume. The reason we see sc2 players retire is just that the game is getting old, which means that the oldest players are also getting old, so they retire. What we SHOULD look at, is if we still have an influx of new players and pros. But I feel that is a slightly different discussion, more related to "dedgaem". This new system makes it harder for koreans to win money in foreign tournaments (as you have been saying once or twice), which may trigger a few retirements that probably would have happened soon anyway. But well, I feel that a more important thing to look at is the influx of new faces.

And the passive-aggressive insults from the two of you aren't really contributing to a better discussion imo.

So yeah, for the foreign scene we want two things:
1) Real incentive for foreigners to be their very best.
2) Give foreigners best training environment by frequently being matched against koreans. This also makes for a better spectator experience as pointed out in the OP.

Completely open tournaments would hit 2), but 1) would suffer. Completely locked regions would fulfill 1), but 2) would suffer. I'd like to get off that sliding scale and find a way that meets both 1) and 2). Shouldn't that be possible in some way?

I suggested international team leagues with at most 2 koreans out of 4 players or something, which maybe can meet both 1) and 2), I think team leagues in sc:bw (and sc2 for that matter) helped keep the mid-top korean players motivated as well, so maybe it'd work with foreigners as well. But I'd invite you and others to come up with something else.
Daswollvieh
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
5553 Posts
December 20 2015 08:32 GMT
#153
So, now Sc2 works like any other global sport... the horror.
Charoisaur
Profile Joined August 2014
Germany16095 Posts
December 20 2015 08:44 GMT
#154
On December 20 2015 17:32 Daswollvieh wrote:
So, now Sc2 works like any other global sport... the horror.

because in every other sports all countries can compete in all tournaments except for one country which is only allowed to play tournaments in their own country.
Many of the coolest moments in sc2 happen due to worker harassment
y0su
Profile Blog Joined September 2011
Finland7871 Posts
December 20 2015 11:51 GMT
#155
On December 20 2015 14:00 waiting2Bbanned wrote:
BTW, as a viewer I gotta say I'd rather watch high quality matches without any foreigners any day, and by forcing lots of really good korean players to quit/retire or give up on their careers as pro-gamers by favoring lower skilled foreigner players Blizz is lowering the quality of the matches and the entertainment value of the matches. I cannot see how this is going to benefit the SC2 scene as a whole in the long run.

Ironic that it happens to be college bowl season. I wonder how it survives being such inferior matches to he NFL...
Fliparoni
Profile Joined February 2012
205 Posts
December 20 2015 12:20 GMT
#156
On December 20 2015 20:51 y0su wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 20 2015 14:00 waiting2Bbanned wrote:
BTW, as a viewer I gotta say I'd rather watch high quality matches without any foreigners any day, and by forcing lots of really good korean players to quit/retire or give up on their careers as pro-gamers by favoring lower skilled foreigner players Blizz is lowering the quality of the matches and the entertainment value of the matches. I cannot see how this is going to benefit the SC2 scene as a whole in the long run.

Ironic that it happens to be college bowl season. I wonder how it survives being such inferior matches to he NFL...


I think foreigner Starcraft, with just a few exceptions is more comparable to High school football rather than college football. IMO
FFgringo
Profile Joined December 2015
44 Posts
December 20 2015 12:28 GMT
#157
On December 20 2015 08:13 Diabolique wrote:

I understand your naivity. When I was a kid, I was naive, too. I am not saying, the foreign scene will not benefit from it. I believe, at the end, Blizzard will do one Global tournament. But I am really pissed off at every blind person, who does not see, how they are trying to screw the Korean scene. Just look at the result. The number of announced retirements which is happening THESE DAYS. And i am sure, it is just the beginning.


You are the naive one here, if you think most of the retirements are because of new wcs format.
It's because of the new game.
You think it will screw up korean scene?
This is ridiculous. Be sure Kespa discussed this with blizzard and agree with the new system.
What i see is just a decrease to 8 maximum korean players to global finals. Nothing AT THIS TIME can support your theory that there will be less tournaments in korea.
Less GSL and SSL will maybe induce more other tournaments. And even if it's not the case, proleague is a weekly event. Maybe Kespa wanted to decrease the number of tournaments as well?
A recent example, is that Kespa only sent one player for Nation Wars, Innovation. Parting and Hydra, the two others of the korean lineup are not Kespa players. Why? Because of calendar and proleague.
So do not say there are not enough tournaments anymore in korea, as even Kespa knows that they're busy.
Korea is the elite, but IMO best foreigners are better than the B-team or MID korean you are all talking about.

And a final word, imho the narrative will continue.
Everything depends on the context.
The context just changed. period.
cop354g
Profile Joined December 2015
61 Posts
December 20 2015 12:33 GMT
#158
On December 20 2015 15:34 Cascade wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 20 2015 14:46 Diabolique wrote:
On December 20 2015 13:21 KrazyTrumpet wrote:
On December 20 2015 08:13 Diabolique wrote:
On December 20 2015 07:53 stuchiu wrote:
Koreans are not on par with Koreans. Gumiho is not on par with Innovation. Sangho was not on par with Zest. Pet is not on par with Life. There is a distinct elite tier of players that can consistently make a ro8. That shortens when you get to the ro4 and becomes even smaller for a championship contender. I don't see why everyone's fine just throwing away the low-mid tier of Korean players to the wolves.

As for your second point, by your logic we should be be lessening the amount of WCS foreigner only tournaments so that the foreigners get more motivation and practice more for those fewer chances. Oh no wait, that didnt work, all of the lower to mid tier foreigners lost motivation, just like how all of the low-mid tier Koreans will now too. (They were already being squeezed out of the scene as they have had the most retirements from 2013 to now).

The system was made in tandem with all their partners. I just assume Blizzard did it this way, but if they want to come out and say it was all GSL/SSL's decision that's up to them. Just don't sell it to me that's it good for the foreigner scene to have more tournaments and then sell it to me that it's also better for the Korean scene to have less tournaments.

For fans and viewers, it is a bad change. But we will survive it.



Well, that's just your very biased and narrow-minded opinion.

The foreign scene has been practically dead for two years, because Korean players just stomp on everyone, and stifle a lot of opportunities. You have to have regional development before you throw everyone at the elite competition or else everything just dies before it even starts. I want MORE shit like Nation Wars, more western players battling it out among themselves to improve at a more reasonable pace. You don't improve by getting shat on by a top tier Korean player at an international event in a single Bo3 every couple months.

I also love the insistence that the currently announced Korean tournaments are literally the only tournaments that will ever happen or be allowed in 2016 and that there will literally be no outside tournaments any Korean will ever be able to compete in, ever.

Do you all really, REALLY think that Blizzard would just entirely take a shit on the whole Korean scene? Do you really think they would bother announcing WCS Global Events without having at least a few planned?

Holy shit the hardcore SC2 fanbase is really frustrating to try to reason with sometimes.

I understand your naivity. When I was a kid, I was naive, too. I am not saying, the foreign scene will not benefit from it. I believe, at the end, Blizzard will do one Global tournament. But I am really pissed off at every blind person, who does not see, how they are trying to screw the Korean scene. Just look at the result. The number of announced retirements which is happening THESE DAYS. And i am sure, it is just the beginning.

I think it is normal that people retire in e-sports (as in any sport). sc2 has been around for a long time, and starcraft pros usually start to struggle when they get too far into their twenties. That went for sc:bw as well I assume. The reason we see sc2 players retire is just that the game is getting old, which means that the oldest players are also getting old, so they retire. What we SHOULD look at, is if we still have an influx of new players and pros. But I feel that is a slightly different discussion, more related to "dedgaem". This new system makes it harder for koreans to win money in foreign tournaments (as you have been saying once or twice), which may trigger a few retirements that probably would have happened soon anyway. But well, I feel that a more important thing to look at is the influx of new faces.

And the passive-aggressive insults from the two of you aren't really contributing to a better discussion imo.

So yeah, for the foreign scene we want two things:
1) Real incentive for foreigners to be their very best.
2) Give foreigners best training environment by frequently being matched against koreans. This also makes for a better spectator experience as pointed out in the OP.

Completely open tournaments would hit 2), but 1) would suffer. Completely locked regions would fulfill 1), but 2) would suffer. I'd like to get off that sliding scale and find a way that meets both 1) and 2). Shouldn't that be possible in some way?

I suggested international team leagues with at most 2 koreans out of 4 players or something, which maybe can meet both 1) and 2), I think team leagues in sc:bw (and sc2 for that matter) helped keep the mid-top korean players motivated as well, so maybe it'd work with foreigners as well. But I'd invite you and others to come up with something else.

How about making progaming a sustainable career so its viable career choice so they dont need to retire so early?
AWalker9
Profile Blog Joined August 2013
United Kingdom7229 Posts
December 20 2015 12:44 GMT
#159
On December 20 2015 21:28 FFgringo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 20 2015 08:13 Diabolique wrote:

I understand your naivity. When I was a kid, I was naive, too. I am not saying, the foreign scene will not benefit from it. I believe, at the end, Blizzard will do one Global tournament. But I am really pissed off at every blind person, who does not see, how they are trying to screw the Korean scene. Just look at the result. The number of announced retirements which is happening THESE DAYS. And i am sure, it is just the beginning.


You are the naive one here, if you think most of the retirements are because of new wcs format.
It's because of the new game.
You think it will screw up korean scene?
This is ridiculous. Be sure Kespa discussed this with blizzard and agree with the new system.
What i see is just a decrease to 8 maximum korean players to global finals. Nothing AT THIS TIME can support your theory that there will be less tournaments in korea.
Less GSL and SSL will maybe induce more other tournaments. And even if it's not the case, proleague is a weekly event. Maybe Kespa wanted to decrease the number of tournaments as well?
A recent example, is that Kespa only sent one player for Nation Wars, Innovation. Parting and Hydra, the two others of the korean lineup are not Kespa players. Why? Because of calendar and proleague.
So do not say there are not enough tournaments anymore in korea, as even Kespa knows that they're busy.
Korea is the elite, but IMO best foreigners are better than the B-team or MID korean you are all talking about.

And a final word, imho the narrative will continue.
Everything depends on the context.
The context just changed. period.

In 2013 there were only 3 tournaments in Korea and HoTS was released that year so why would there be more tournaments now LoTV's released.
soOjwa has returned to smite all that stand in his way
looken
Profile Joined September 2011
727 Posts
December 20 2015 14:29 GMT
#160
On December 20 2015 21:33 cop354g wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 20 2015 15:34 Cascade wrote:
On December 20 2015 14:46 Diabolique wrote:
On December 20 2015 13:21 KrazyTrumpet wrote:
On December 20 2015 08:13 Diabolique wrote:
On December 20 2015 07:53 stuchiu wrote:
Koreans are not on par with Koreans. Gumiho is not on par with Innovation. Sangho was not on par with Zest. Pet is not on par with Life. There is a distinct elite tier of players that can consistently make a ro8. That shortens when you get to the ro4 and becomes even smaller for a championship contender. I don't see why everyone's fine just throwing away the low-mid tier of Korean players to the wolves.

As for your second point, by your logic we should be be lessening the amount of WCS foreigner only tournaments so that the foreigners get more motivation and practice more for those fewer chances. Oh no wait, that didnt work, all of the lower to mid tier foreigners lost motivation, just like how all of the low-mid tier Koreans will now too. (They were already being squeezed out of the scene as they have had the most retirements from 2013 to now).

The system was made in tandem with all their partners. I just assume Blizzard did it this way, but if they want to come out and say it was all GSL/SSL's decision that's up to them. Just don't sell it to me that's it good for the foreigner scene to have more tournaments and then sell it to me that it's also better for the Korean scene to have less tournaments.

For fans and viewers, it is a bad change. But we will survive it.



Well, that's just your very biased and narrow-minded opinion.

The foreign scene has been practically dead for two years, because Korean players just stomp on everyone, and stifle a lot of opportunities. You have to have regional development before you throw everyone at the elite competition or else everything just dies before it even starts. I want MORE shit like Nation Wars, more western players battling it out among themselves to improve at a more reasonable pace. You don't improve by getting shat on by a top tier Korean player at an international event in a single Bo3 every couple months.

I also love the insistence that the currently announced Korean tournaments are literally the only tournaments that will ever happen or be allowed in 2016 and that there will literally be no outside tournaments any Korean will ever be able to compete in, ever.

Do you all really, REALLY think that Blizzard would just entirely take a shit on the whole Korean scene? Do you really think they would bother announcing WCS Global Events without having at least a few planned?

Holy shit the hardcore SC2 fanbase is really frustrating to try to reason with sometimes.

I understand your naivity. When I was a kid, I was naive, too. I am not saying, the foreign scene will not benefit from it. I believe, at the end, Blizzard will do one Global tournament. But I am really pissed off at every blind person, who does not see, how they are trying to screw the Korean scene. Just look at the result. The number of announced retirements which is happening THESE DAYS. And i am sure, it is just the beginning.

I think it is normal that people retire in e-sports (as in any sport). sc2 has been around for a long time, and starcraft pros usually start to struggle when they get too far into their twenties. That went for sc:bw as well I assume. The reason we see sc2 players retire is just that the game is getting old, which means that the oldest players are also getting old, so they retire. What we SHOULD look at, is if we still have an influx of new players and pros. But I feel that is a slightly different discussion, more related to "dedgaem". This new system makes it harder for koreans to win money in foreign tournaments (as you have been saying once or twice), which may trigger a few retirements that probably would have happened soon anyway. But well, I feel that a more important thing to look at is the influx of new faces.

And the passive-aggressive insults from the two of you aren't really contributing to a better discussion imo.

So yeah, for the foreign scene we want two things:
1) Real incentive for foreigners to be their very best.
2) Give foreigners best training environment by frequently being matched against koreans. This also makes for a better spectator experience as pointed out in the OP.

Completely open tournaments would hit 2), but 1) would suffer. Completely locked regions would fulfill 1), but 2) would suffer. I'd like to get off that sliding scale and find a way that meets both 1) and 2). Shouldn't that be possible in some way?

I suggested international team leagues with at most 2 koreans out of 4 players or something, which maybe can meet both 1) and 2), I think team leagues in sc:bw (and sc2 for that matter) helped keep the mid-top korean players motivated as well, so maybe it'd work with foreigners as well. But I'd invite you and others to come up with something else.

How about making progaming a sustainable career so its viable career choice so they dont need to retire so early?

Thats what this new system does i think. At least for the foreing scene. I hope it works out
"Jingle Bells, Tasteless smells" Artosis 17.12.15
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
00:00
2026 GSTL: Grand Finals
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
23:00
OSC Masters Cup #151 Qualifier
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
NeuroSwarm 181
StarCraft: Brood War
hero 699
soO 604
Hyuk 350
BeSt 309
Mind 34
Shinee 24
Bale 24
ZergMaN 11
yabsab 10
Dota 2
monkeys_forever1095
XaKoH 487
XcaliburYe15
League of Legends
JimRising 578
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King107
Other Games
summit1g10493
ceh9397
Livibee116
olofmeister112
ArmadaUGS55
kaitlyn12
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick562
StarCraft: Brood War
Kim Chul Min (afreeca) 8
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH344
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 6
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2306
League of Legends
• Rush1125
• Stunt471
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
2h 47m
Soma vs Jaedong
WardiTV Weekly
3h 47m
Monday Night Weeklies
8h 47m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 2h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 2h
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 16h
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
5 days
FEL
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.