• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 17:36
CEST 23:36
KST 06:36
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Recent patches and the Future StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7198 users

Scarlett takes a break from SCII, moves to DotA2 - Page 2

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Blargh
Profile Joined September 2010
United States2103 Posts
February 06 2015 22:07 GMT
#21
On February 07 2015 06:58 UberNuB wrote:
I think it's funny how so many people QQ saying their race is awful and that's the reason they lose. Then go on to say it's too difficult to switch races and stay competitive. Yet, lots of people think they can change games and stay competitive.

gl, to Scarlett, but changing to an established game just doesn't seem viable.

I think, more than anything, it's your passion for the game, that makes the transition viable. No one wants to race switch unless they actually like the game and like the race. She likes Dota 2 way more than SC2 right now, and she's been playing it quite frequently for a while now, so she's pretty good at it. If she has the drive, I'm pretty confident she could reach foreign pro-level in <6 months.

Speaking for myself, I don't like any game enough to ever try to play it truly competitively. It takes a lot of time, which I don't really have to learn a new competitive game. But if she plays Dota 2 for a large amount of her life, I think she could do just fine at it.
NonY
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
8751 Posts
February 06 2015 22:09 GMT
#22
On February 07 2015 06:14 Pontius Pirate wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 07 2015 06:01 virpi wrote:
I have to agree on the age thing. I think that the whole "you can't play well after 25" stuff has to do with the fact that most
korean players are basically burned out when they're 22 or 23. (especially kespa players) And then there's always the dreaded military service, which looms over every korean e-sport pro.
With deliberate practice and a healthy lifestyle it should easily be possible to compete at the highest level until 30 or even 35. Of course, it's getting harder over time (less motivation, other obligations, etc.), but it's possible. Bomber basically peaked last year and he was 26 back then. Or just think of Nestea. (of course, SC2 was young back then, but his accomplishments still stand for themselves.)

The issue that is often cited is the decrease of the speed of small motor movements such as in the fingers that occurs after 26. It's disingenuous to cite other sports that are more reliant on one's full body to perform at a professional level.

I don't see how it's disingenuous. I checked the dictionary just in case I was confused, and still don't understand how you're using it. In any case, most people cite musicians, not athletes.
"Fucking up is part of it. If you can't fail, you have to always win. And I don't think you can always win." Elliott Smith ---------- Yet no sudden rage darkened his face, and his eyes were calm as they studied her. Then he smiled. 'Witness.'
ilovegroov
Profile Joined January 2015
357 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-02-06 22:13:49
February 06 2015 22:12 GMT
#23
1. I hope she comes back.
2. If foreigners continue to put education first they'll never be as good as Koreans. I'd really like to have at least some foreigners who treat SC2 as a serious job instead of a hobby they make money off.
3. She seems to have no clue about biology. SC2 is the one activity which engages the brain the most so it totally makes sense that the decline starts much earlier. Not to mention that after years of SC2 we have proof that your performance goes down if you get old.
Masq
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
Canada1792 Posts
February 06 2015 22:18 GMT
#24
On February 07 2015 05:26 goswser wrote:
The decline with age is definitely overstated. People say the same about other sports, and you then you have guys like Anderson Silva fighting at age 40. But for some reason people in esports think your mind and reflexes go dull by age 25.


steroids help a bit I think
Alucen-Will-
Profile Joined October 2014
United States4054 Posts
February 06 2015 22:21 GMT
#25
Man esports is getting quite big! A guardian article announcing something like this seems quite suprising.

I wish her luck though.
SoulRiM
Profile Joined August 2013
Germany53 Posts
February 06 2015 22:26 GMT
#26
On February 07 2015 05:37 Whiplash wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 07 2015 05:26 goswser wrote:
The decline with age is definitely overstated. People say the same about other sports, and you then you have guys like Anderson Silva fighting at age 40. But for some reason people in esports think your mind and reflexes go dull by age 25.


I think this mainly comes from the old Korean Brood War mindset, where players had to eventually do their military service in their early-mid 20's, and that would pretty much be career ending. This doesn't even account for burnout rate which is very real due to the shear amount of time that BW pros played back in the day.


I guess it's another thing that, especially in the foreign world, pro are not doing enough for their health, while "real" athletes are always in good physical shape.
SetGuitarsToKill
Profile Blog Joined December 2013
Canada28396 Posts
February 06 2015 22:41 GMT
#27
Damn it, it's been like 3 weeks now and it's still a punch in the chest every time I read a title like this.
Community News"As long as you have a warp prism you can't be bad at harassment" - Maru | @SetGuitars2Kill
Blargh
Profile Joined September 2010
United States2103 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-02-06 22:50:05
February 06 2015 22:49 GMT
#28
On February 07 2015 07:12 ilovegroov wrote:
1. I hope she comes back.
2. If foreigners continue to put education first they'll never be as good as Koreans. I'd really like to have at least some foreigners who treat SC2 as a serious job instead of a hobby they make money off.
3. She seems to have no clue about biology. SC2 is the one activity which engages the brain the most so it totally makes sense that the decline starts much earlier. Not to mention that after years of SC2 we have proof that your performance goes down if you get old.

@2. That's sort of bad advice. While I think it's cool to follow your passion, SC2 is not a very viable career. LoL and even CS:GO are much better. Ultimately, you're just an entertainer when you go down the path of SC2 pro. Prioritizing other careers seems like a very rational thing to do, and should never be looked down upon. Also, tons of foreign players play the game full-time as a "serious job", and most of them suck. Just sayin'...

@3. I don't have any scientific data on this, but I'm pretty sure the reason people get worse as they age is due to physical limitations more than anything else. Do I think someone could play SC2 competitively for over 10 years and not have some form of wrist/arm/back/whatever issues? Hell no. But I don't think they are any worse off than a football player or a baseball pitcher either. If the physical health problems can be averted, I think people would be fine at the age of 35-40. After all, SC2 is mostly a habitual game than anything else. It's barely a strategy game, and if done well, does not necessarily need to be APM-heavy. Though APM will always help.
Daralii
Profile Joined March 2010
United States16991 Posts
February 06 2015 22:53 GMT
#29
On February 07 2015 06:58 UberNuB wrote:
I think it's funny how so many people QQ saying their race is awful and that's the reason they lose. Then go on to say it's too difficult to switch races and stay competitive. Yet, lots of people think they can change games and stay competitive.

gl, to Scarlett, but changing to an established game just doesn't seem viable.

It definitely seems... optimistic. She seems okay from her stream, but hitting 6k by spamming Meepo and playing competitively are two entirely different beasts, and that's assuming she finds a team willing to take her. I can easily see this going very badly, like it did for Babyknight and Select.
Fear is freedom! Subjugation is liberation! Contradiction is truth!
FFW_Rude
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
France10201 Posts
February 06 2015 23:06 GMT
#30
On February 07 2015 06:14 Pontius Pirate wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 07 2015 06:01 virpi wrote:
I have to agree on the age thing. I think that the whole "you can't play well after 25" stuff has to do with the fact that most
korean players are basically burned out when they're 22 or 23. (especially kespa players) And then there's always the dreaded military service, which looms over every korean e-sport pro.
With deliberate practice and a healthy lifestyle it should easily be possible to compete at the highest level until 30 or even 35. Of course, it's getting harder over time (less motivation, other obligations, etc.), but it's possible. Bomber basically peaked last year and he was 26 back then. Or just think of Nestea. (of course, SC2 was young back then, but his accomplishments still stand for themselves.)

The issue that is often cited is the decrease of the speed of small motor movements such as in the fingers that occurs after 26. It's disingenuous to cite other sports that are more reliant on one's full body to perform at a professional level.


I don't understand how this could be a thing when you see Satriani, Vai or Malmsteen are still as fucking fast as they were when they were younger.
#1 KT Rolster fanboy. KT BEST KT ! Hail to KT playoffs Zergs ! Unofficial french translator for SlayerS_`Boxer` biography "Crazy as me".
vult
Profile Blog Joined February 2012
United States9400 Posts
February 06 2015 23:08 GMT
#31
>Switches to DotA 2
>"will be back at end of February"
I used to play random, but for you I play very specifically.
Yakikorosu
Profile Joined March 2013
1203 Posts
February 06 2015 23:17 GMT
#32
On February 07 2015 08:06 FFW_Rude wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 07 2015 06:14 Pontius Pirate wrote:
On February 07 2015 06:01 virpi wrote:
I have to agree on the age thing. I think that the whole "you can't play well after 25" stuff has to do with the fact that most
korean players are basically burned out when they're 22 or 23. (especially kespa players) And then there's always the dreaded military service, which looms over every korean e-sport pro.
With deliberate practice and a healthy lifestyle it should easily be possible to compete at the highest level until 30 or even 35. Of course, it's getting harder over time (less motivation, other obligations, etc.), but it's possible. Bomber basically peaked last year and he was 26 back then. Or just think of Nestea. (of course, SC2 was young back then, but his accomplishments still stand for themselves.)

The issue that is often cited is the decrease of the speed of small motor movements such as in the fingers that occurs after 26. It's disingenuous to cite other sports that are more reliant on one's full body to perform at a professional level.


I don't understand how this could be a thing when you see Satriani, Vai or Malmsteen are still as fucking fast as they were when they were younger.


I know nothing about the biology of this, but does someone have some reputable scientific backup for the idea that there is a significant decline in "speed of small motor movements" after your mid-20s? I hear this mentioned all the time like it's a fact but never any backup given. I remember Tastosis talking about this idea at some point and not that they're experts on this but they were saying that it's a myth.

Not to mention the whole "finger speed" concept makes it sound like APM is a key deciding factor in who the top SC2 players are and that just has never been true.
teapoted
Profile Joined August 2012
United Kingdom24425 Posts
February 06 2015 23:29 GMT
#33
On February 07 2015 07:07 Blargh wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 07 2015 06:58 UberNuB wrote:
I think it's funny how so many people QQ saying their race is awful and that's the reason they lose. Then go on to say it's too difficult to switch races and stay competitive. Yet, lots of people think they can change games and stay competitive.

gl, to Scarlett, but changing to an established game just doesn't seem viable.

I think, more than anything, it's your passion for the game, that makes the transition viable. No one wants to race switch unless they actually like the game and like the race. She likes Dota 2 way more than SC2 right now, and she's been playing it quite frequently for a while now, so she's pretty good at it. If she has the drive, I'm pretty confident she could reach foreign pro-level in <6 months.

Speaking for myself, I don't like any game enough to ever try to play it truly competitively. It takes a lot of time, which I don't really have to learn a new competitive game. But if she plays Dota 2 for a large amount of her life, I think she could do just fine at it.
Although I don't disagree with your sentiments.

1. To reach pro level in 6 months she has to already be quite competent. It's a team game, you need a lot more than just grinding pubs to be able to play well with teams and more importantly, find a good team. There are droves of pub players who are better than most pro players in pubs, it's not entirely the same skill set.

2. 'Foreign pro-level' in Dota is a meaningless statement. There are no 'foreigners' in Dota. In regards to mechanical ability, the best players are quite evenly spread out. Even if one would draw an analogy of the Chinese being the Korean's of Dota (which is wrong on many levels), the Chinese really aren't known for individual skill.
Once you Goblak...
Kipsate
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Netherlands45349 Posts
February 06 2015 23:33 GMT
#34
I don't see her doing anything significantly in Dota 2, but if she wants to try and shes more happy about it sure.
WriterXiao8~~
ROOTFayth
Profile Joined January 2004
Canada3351 Posts
February 06 2015 23:41 GMT
#35
On February 07 2015 08:33 Kipsate wrote:
I don't see her doing anything significantly in Dota 2, but if she wants to try and shes more happy about it sure.

actually she'd prob be a top player at any game she actually puts effort in, like most people who were top players at some point
Starecat
Profile Joined August 2014
941 Posts
February 06 2015 23:41 GMT
#36
>Sacha

??

It' s remind me cat food.
:3
Kipsate
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Netherlands45349 Posts
February 06 2015 23:45 GMT
#37
On February 07 2015 08:41 ROOTFayth wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 07 2015 08:33 Kipsate wrote:
I don't see her doing anything significantly in Dota 2, but if she wants to try and shes more happy about it sure.

actually she'd prob be a top player at any game she actually puts effort in, like most people who were top players at some point

Several other Starcraft players tried and haven't gotten it, she has no history in competitive Dota or teamgames to my knowledge for that matter(and those others did). I see no reason why she succeeds while others fail.

You need more then skill and passion to play in a good dota 2 team.
WriterXiao8~~
SetGuitarsToKill
Profile Blog Joined December 2013
Canada28396 Posts
February 06 2015 23:48 GMT
#38
On February 07 2015 08:45 Kipsate wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 07 2015 08:41 ROOTFayth wrote:
On February 07 2015 08:33 Kipsate wrote:
I don't see her doing anything significantly in Dota 2, but if she wants to try and shes more happy about it sure.

actually she'd prob be a top player at any game she actually puts effort in, like most people who were top players at some point

Several other Starcraft players tried and haven't gotten it, she has no history in competitive Dota or teamgames to my knowledge for that matter(and those others did). I see no reason why she succeeds while others fail.

You need more then skill and passion to play in a good dota 2 team.

She apparently was a really good Dota 1 player, but I dont' know if that counts as history in competitive play.
Community News"As long as you have a warp prism you can't be bad at harassment" - Maru | @SetGuitars2Kill
Unleashing
Profile Joined March 2011
Denmark14978 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-02-06 23:53:21
February 06 2015 23:53 GMT
#39
On February 07 2015 08:48 SetGuitarsToKill wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 07 2015 08:45 Kipsate wrote:
On February 07 2015 08:41 ROOTFayth wrote:
On February 07 2015 08:33 Kipsate wrote:
I don't see her doing anything significantly in Dota 2, but if she wants to try and shes more happy about it sure.

actually she'd prob be a top player at any game she actually puts effort in, like most people who were top players at some point

Several other Starcraft players tried and haven't gotten it, she has no history in competitive Dota or teamgames to my knowledge for that matter(and those others did). I see no reason why she succeeds while others fail.

You need more then skill and passion to play in a good dota 2 team.

She apparently was a really good Dota 1 player, but I dont' know if that counts as history in competitive play.

Select was also supposedly a really good dota 1 player, and we all know how his venture into dota2 went, lol.
Would be neat if she accomplishes more than select if she really makes the switch though.
From the Ghastly Eyrie I can see to the ends of the world, and from this vantage point I declare with utter certainty that this one is in the bag!
necrosexy
Profile Joined March 2011
451 Posts
February 06 2015 23:55 GMT
#40
On February 07 2015 07:09 NonY wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 07 2015 06:14 Pontius Pirate wrote:
On February 07 2015 06:01 virpi wrote:
I have to agree on the age thing. I think that the whole "you can't play well after 25" stuff has to do with the fact that most
korean players are basically burned out when they're 22 or 23. (especially kespa players) And then there's always the dreaded military service, which looms over every korean e-sport pro.
With deliberate practice and a healthy lifestyle it should easily be possible to compete at the highest level until 30 or even 35. Of course, it's getting harder over time (less motivation, other obligations, etc.), but it's possible. Bomber basically peaked last year and he was 26 back then. Or just think of Nestea. (of course, SC2 was young back then, but his accomplishments still stand for themselves.)

The issue that is often cited is the decrease of the speed of small motor movements such as in the fingers that occurs after 26. It's disingenuous to cite other sports that are more reliant on one's full body to perform at a professional level.

I don't see how it's disingenuous. I checked the dictionary just in case I was confused, and still don't understand how you're using it. In any case, most people cite musicians, not athletes.

Cite popular musicians? because this certainly does not apply to classical musicians.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 12h 24m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nathanias 164
Nina 104
SpeCial 51
StarCraft: Brood War
White-Ra 185
firebathero 81
910 38
NaDa 33
Counter-Strike
Fnx 815
Super Smash Bros
C9.Mang0178
PPMD21
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby9566
Liquid`Hasu1673
crisheroes1547
Trikslyr96
Other Games
summit1g6829
Liquid`RaSZi5736
Beastyqt717
shahzam498
ToD251
B2W.Neo210
Pyrionflax175
KnowMe143
ArmadaUGS107
JimRising 95
ZombieGrub77
IndyStarCraft 55
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream342
Other Games
BasetradeTV207
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 59
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 31
• Eskiya23 17
• FirePhoenix7
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV534
League of Legends
• TFBlade950
Other Games
• imaqtpie1132
• Shiphtur272
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
12h 24m
Afreeca Starleague
12h 24m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 2h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 13h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.