• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 15:11
CEST 21:11
KST 04:11
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8993 users

Season 4 Ladder Map Pool: Voting Begins! - Page 22

Forum Index > SC2 General
1068 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 20 21 22 23 24 54 Next
FFW_Rude
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
France10201 Posts
October 03 2014 15:30 GMT
#421
On October 04 2014 00:25 algue wrote:
"the best jokes are the shortest" is a french saying, I don't know if it exists in english. I feel like this saying will hold true with blizzard's map pool idea. In a couple weeks playing on Steppes of War won't be fun anymore.


I'm sure Terrans will love it 'till the end :p
#1 KT Rolster fanboy. KT BEST KT ! Hail to KT playoffs Zergs ! Unofficial french translator for SlayerS_`Boxer` biography "Crazy as me".
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27460 Posts
October 03 2014 16:23 GMT
#422
On October 03 2014 23:52 Liquid`Jinro wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 03 2014 08:15 Wombat_NI wrote:
On October 02 2014 22:28 Big J wrote:
On October 02 2014 21:09 Wombat_NI wrote:
On October 02 2014 20:35 Big J wrote:
On October 02 2014 20:07 Meavis wrote:
On October 02 2014 19:15 Wombat_NI wrote:
On October 02 2014 18:28 Meavis wrote:
On October 02 2014 18:07 [PkF] Wire wrote:
On October 02 2014 17:41 LoneYoShi wrote:
I'm super eager to know what the map pool will end up being.


As for me, I'm super afraid, but you must be the optimistic guy.

On October 02 2014 17:41 LoneYoShi wrote:
Please consider using community-made maps !


... they already did with Catallena, Foxtrot Labs, Deadwing and Nimbus, which weren't that exciting nor balanced -especially Nimbus which is broken as hell, PvT is a nightmare on this map. They should just add solid maps, I don't care if they're community made or not as long as they're reasonably standard good maps.


P-please p-pick me...

That looks pretty cool man, hope it gets some traction soon


Wouldn't count on it, ran out of traction long ago.

On October 02 2014 19:48 Big J wrote:
On October 02 2014 19:10 Teoita wrote:
On October 02 2014 18:07 [PkF] Wire wrote:
... they already did with Catallena, Foxtrot Labs, Deadwing and Nimbus,


Along with (counting GSL/Team Crux maps) Cloud Kingdom, Daybreak, Korhal Compound, Metropolis, Ohana, Bel'shir Vestige, Frost, Habitation Station, Heavy Rain, King Sejong Station, Korhal Sky Island, Merry Go Round, Neo Planet S, Overgrowth, Polar Night, Red City, Whirlwind and Yeonsu...roughly one third (7/18) of those coming from TLMC.

Some turned out balanced and others didn't, but overall they have always been far, far better than Blizzard's maps (hello Daedalus Point!)


Well, the reason why blizzard maps aren't that good is that they try things.


so do community mappers, but they don't have a free ticket to the ladder unlike blizz maps.


Yup. That's true. But the community maps that try things also don't get upvoted by the community, unless you just cut every standard map from the contest like in that TLMC. And even then not an innovative map won, but one that was flashy and used scripts.

On October 02 2014 20:07 Meavis wrote:
On October 02 2014 19:48 Big J wrote:
They have actually shown us that they are easily capable of producing standard, somewhat balanced maps (Antiga, Akilon, Entombed, Derelicted, Star Station, Heavy Rain, Newkirk...).


all of those maps had issues to some degree, and heavy rain was community made.

Every map has some issues to some degree.
I thought that was a blizzard map, given how much shit they got for it.

It just seems very difficult to get people to play on community maps that aren't picked up by WCS, or previously to the current system those maps that were used by GSL/IPL etc.

It's a sucky situation that is hard to resolve. I was perusing the mapmaking section here and saw a lot that looked pretty interesting.

yup. But I think it is partly the communities fault that really good maps do not get a chance, given how little interest there is in mapmaking. (Map of the Month gets decided by what, 100votes; Great maps have what, 10comments?)
Basically you need a contest like TLMC or a sponsor like RedBull to even put a spotlight on the mapmaking scene. Then blizzard picks a few of those maps and all the attention goes away again.
1month later people go back on the forums to tell everybody how blizzard doesn't care about community maps, while Gems like http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/sc2-maps/465166-2-expedition-lost have only 12replies, 3 by its own maker.

I feel fucking terrible for mapmakers when reading these threads. You're entirely correct about the community.

Was running a LAN at home and people's reticence to play on anything other than the current set of ladder maps. What chance do mapmakers have to get people playing their maps when local Irish LANs with an average league of Diamond, with a lot of them not even countenancing us having our own handpicked map pool?

I'm not even talking wacky shit, people were vociferously arguing against even the potential inclusion of Cloud Kingdom, which is one of the most-played maps of all SC2

I know TotalBiscuit's clan wars experimented a bit with having pros trying out interesting maps, what else would be possible? I think a good start would be trying to get showmatches, especially those with community chipping in financially, to use as many of the maps from the mapmaking community as possible.

It's hardly revolutionary and has been done before, I just don't know how you get such a trend going without some of the bigger community figures leading it.

I know as a viewer, unless I'm really a fan of one or both of the players that showmatches largely don't hold my interest like they used to, especially with so many tournaments to choose from/ less time to view SC. However a Bo9 showmatch on maps I haven't seen, fuck yeah!


Hm, way back in BW days, we used to have a op TL (the semi-official TL bnet channel) friday night tour, where the map selection was pretty free.

I made the finals against one of my friends once and we played all 5 games on just maps he had made (he was a really really good mapmaker, he made some maps that were picked for Blizzcon --- his ID was Travin if people remember).

Anyway, maybe a community tournament like that might be fun. I'm not sure I have the time (partly because of timezone) to host something like this, but I've been thinking it'd be a fun thign to do lately.

Something like that exactly.

While it'd be awesome to have a semi-regular Jinro invitational, if you're busy you're busy. You doubtless have a fair few contacts to see if such an idea would be something somebody else could run though
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
[PkF] Wire
Profile Joined March 2013
France24239 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-10-03 16:48:03
October 03 2014 16:30 GMT
#423
On October 04 2014 00:25 algue wrote:
"the best jokes are the shortest" is a french saying, I don't know if it exists in english. I feel like this saying will hold true with blizzard's map pool idea. In a couple weeks playing on Steppes of War won't be fun anymore.


Usually this french saying ("les plaisanteries les plus courtes sont les meilleures") is translated into the slightly different "brevity is the soul of wit". Depending on how bad the map pool ends up being, yeah this could be really annoying. If only 1-2 really bad maps are in the pool, we'll just veto them and be fine. If it's 4...
OtherWorld
Profile Blog Joined October 2013
France17333 Posts
October 03 2014 16:38 GMT
#424
On October 04 2014 01:23 Wombat_NI wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 03 2014 23:52 Liquid`Jinro wrote:
On October 03 2014 08:15 Wombat_NI wrote:
On October 02 2014 22:28 Big J wrote:
On October 02 2014 21:09 Wombat_NI wrote:
On October 02 2014 20:35 Big J wrote:
On October 02 2014 20:07 Meavis wrote:
On October 02 2014 19:15 Wombat_NI wrote:
On October 02 2014 18:28 Meavis wrote:
On October 02 2014 18:07 [PkF] Wire wrote:
[quote]

As for me, I'm super afraid, but you must be the optimistic guy.

[quote]

... they already did with Catallena, Foxtrot Labs, Deadwing and Nimbus, which weren't that exciting nor balanced -especially Nimbus which is broken as hell, PvT is a nightmare on this map. They should just add solid maps, I don't care if they're community made or not as long as they're reasonably standard good maps.


P-please p-pick me...

That looks pretty cool man, hope it gets some traction soon


Wouldn't count on it, ran out of traction long ago.

On October 02 2014 19:48 Big J wrote:
On October 02 2014 19:10 Teoita wrote:
On October 02 2014 18:07 [PkF] Wire wrote:
... they already did with Catallena, Foxtrot Labs, Deadwing and Nimbus,


Along with (counting GSL/Team Crux maps) Cloud Kingdom, Daybreak, Korhal Compound, Metropolis, Ohana, Bel'shir Vestige, Frost, Habitation Station, Heavy Rain, King Sejong Station, Korhal Sky Island, Merry Go Round, Neo Planet S, Overgrowth, Polar Night, Red City, Whirlwind and Yeonsu...roughly one third (7/18) of those coming from TLMC.

Some turned out balanced and others didn't, but overall they have always been far, far better than Blizzard's maps (hello Daedalus Point!)


Well, the reason why blizzard maps aren't that good is that they try things.


so do community mappers, but they don't have a free ticket to the ladder unlike blizz maps.


Yup. That's true. But the community maps that try things also don't get upvoted by the community, unless you just cut every standard map from the contest like in that TLMC. And even then not an innovative map won, but one that was flashy and used scripts.

On October 02 2014 20:07 Meavis wrote:
On October 02 2014 19:48 Big J wrote:
They have actually shown us that they are easily capable of producing standard, somewhat balanced maps (Antiga, Akilon, Entombed, Derelicted, Star Station, Heavy Rain, Newkirk...).


all of those maps had issues to some degree, and heavy rain was community made.

Every map has some issues to some degree.
I thought that was a blizzard map, given how much shit they got for it.

It just seems very difficult to get people to play on community maps that aren't picked up by WCS, or previously to the current system those maps that were used by GSL/IPL etc.

It's a sucky situation that is hard to resolve. I was perusing the mapmaking section here and saw a lot that looked pretty interesting.

yup. But I think it is partly the communities fault that really good maps do not get a chance, given how little interest there is in mapmaking. (Map of the Month gets decided by what, 100votes; Great maps have what, 10comments?)
Basically you need a contest like TLMC or a sponsor like RedBull to even put a spotlight on the mapmaking scene. Then blizzard picks a few of those maps and all the attention goes away again.
1month later people go back on the forums to tell everybody how blizzard doesn't care about community maps, while Gems like http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/sc2-maps/465166-2-expedition-lost have only 12replies, 3 by its own maker.

I feel fucking terrible for mapmakers when reading these threads. You're entirely correct about the community.

Was running a LAN at home and people's reticence to play on anything other than the current set of ladder maps. What chance do mapmakers have to get people playing their maps when local Irish LANs with an average league of Diamond, with a lot of them not even countenancing us having our own handpicked map pool?

I'm not even talking wacky shit, people were vociferously arguing against even the potential inclusion of Cloud Kingdom, which is one of the most-played maps of all SC2

I know TotalBiscuit's clan wars experimented a bit with having pros trying out interesting maps, what else would be possible? I think a good start would be trying to get showmatches, especially those with community chipping in financially, to use as many of the maps from the mapmaking community as possible.

It's hardly revolutionary and has been done before, I just don't know how you get such a trend going without some of the bigger community figures leading it.

I know as a viewer, unless I'm really a fan of one or both of the players that showmatches largely don't hold my interest like they used to, especially with so many tournaments to choose from/ less time to view SC. However a Bo9 showmatch on maps I haven't seen, fuck yeah!


Hm, way back in BW days, we used to have a op TL (the semi-official TL bnet channel) friday night tour, where the map selection was pretty free.

I made the finals against one of my friends once and we played all 5 games on just maps he had made (he was a really really good mapmaker, he made some maps that were picked for Blizzcon --- his ID was Travin if people remember).

Anyway, maybe a community tournament like that might be fun. I'm not sure I have the time (partly because of timezone) to host something like this, but I've been thinking it'd be a fun thign to do lately.

Something like that exactly.

While it'd be awesome to have a semi-regular Jinro invitational, if you're busy you're busy. You doubtless have a fair few contacts to see if such an idea would be something somebody else could run though

I think that could be a really interesting idea, I think you could probably find some progamers interested in playing on new maps
Used Sigs - New Sigs - Cheap Sigs - Buy the Best Cheap Sig near You at www.cheapsigforsale.com
pure.Wasted
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
Canada4701 Posts
October 03 2014 17:57 GMT
#425
On October 03 2014 08:58 Spect8rCraft wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 02 2014 22:28 Big J wrote:
On October 02 2014 21:09 Wombat_NI wrote:
On October 02 2014 20:35 Big J wrote:
On October 02 2014 20:07 Meavis wrote:
On October 02 2014 19:15 Wombat_NI wrote:
On October 02 2014 18:28 Meavis wrote:
On October 02 2014 18:07 [PkF] Wire wrote:
On October 02 2014 17:41 LoneYoShi wrote:
I'm super eager to know what the map pool will end up being.


As for me, I'm super afraid, but you must be the optimistic guy.

On October 02 2014 17:41 LoneYoShi wrote:
Please consider using community-made maps !


... they already did with Catallena, Foxtrot Labs, Deadwing and Nimbus, which weren't that exciting nor balanced -especially Nimbus which is broken as hell, PvT is a nightmare on this map. They should just add solid maps, I don't care if they're community made or not as long as they're reasonably standard good maps.


P-please p-pick me...

That looks pretty cool man, hope it gets some traction soon


Wouldn't count on it, ran out of traction long ago.

On October 02 2014 19:48 Big J wrote:
On October 02 2014 19:10 Teoita wrote:
On October 02 2014 18:07 [PkF] Wire wrote:
... they already did with Catallena, Foxtrot Labs, Deadwing and Nimbus,


Along with (counting GSL/Team Crux maps) Cloud Kingdom, Daybreak, Korhal Compound, Metropolis, Ohana, Bel'shir Vestige, Frost, Habitation Station, Heavy Rain, King Sejong Station, Korhal Sky Island, Merry Go Round, Neo Planet S, Overgrowth, Polar Night, Red City, Whirlwind and Yeonsu...roughly one third (7/18) of those coming from TLMC.

Some turned out balanced and others didn't, but overall they have always been far, far better than Blizzard's maps (hello Daedalus Point!)


Well, the reason why blizzard maps aren't that good is that they try things.


so do community mappers, but they don't have a free ticket to the ladder unlike blizz maps.


Yup. That's true. But the community maps that try things also don't get upvoted by the community, unless you just cut every standard map from the contest like in that TLMC. And even then not an innovative map won, but one that was flashy and used scripts.

On October 02 2014 20:07 Meavis wrote:
On October 02 2014 19:48 Big J wrote:
They have actually shown us that they are easily capable of producing standard, somewhat balanced maps (Antiga, Akilon, Entombed, Derelicted, Star Station, Heavy Rain, Newkirk...).


all of those maps had issues to some degree, and heavy rain was community made.

Every map has some issues to some degree.
I thought that was a blizzard map, given how much shit they got for it.

It just seems very difficult to get people to play on community maps that aren't picked up by WCS, or previously to the current system those maps that were used by GSL/IPL etc.

It's a sucky situation that is hard to resolve. I was perusing the mapmaking section here and saw a lot that looked pretty interesting.

yup. But I think it is partly the communities fault that really good maps do not get a chance, given how little interest there is in mapmaking. (Map of the Month gets decided by what, 100votes; Great maps have what, 10comments?)
Basically you need a contest like TLMC or a sponsor like RedBull to even put a spotlight on the mapmaking scene. Then blizzard picks a few of those maps and all the attention goes away again.
1month later people go back on the forums to tell everybody how blizzard doesn't care about community maps, while Gems like http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/sc2-maps/465166-2-expedition-lost have only 12replies, 3 by its own maker.


I'm kind of of the mind of not posting in the map threads because I'm not well-versed in mapmaking (or SC2 in general, for that matter), and am unsure if the mapmaking community would be okay with non-critical praise and non-critical suggestions that might sound absolutely stupid to anyone outside of said community.


I'm like that, too. I read map threads but don't post in them. Only thing I can judge with any amount of expertness is how nice a map looks, and that's not something that's usually open to change once a map is made anyway.
INna Maru-da-FanTa, Bbaby, TY Dream that I'm Flashing you
Psione
Profile Joined March 2014
United States45 Posts
October 03 2014 18:02 GMT
#426
On October 04 2014 00:25 algue wrote:
"the best jokes are the shortest" is a french saying, I don't know if it exists in english. I feel like this saying will hold true with blizzard's map pool idea. In a couple weeks playing on Steppes of War won't be fun anymore.

While the exact dates are not yet set, Season 4 will be the shortest season of the year. This is due to Season 3 being the longest, as it was meant to last through the BlizzCon Global Finals.
Community Manager - StarCraft II - Twitter: @PsioneBlizzard
[PkF] Wire
Profile Joined March 2013
France24239 Posts
October 03 2014 18:18 GMT
#427
On October 04 2014 03:02 Psione wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 04 2014 00:25 algue wrote:
"the best jokes are the shortest" is a french saying, I don't know if it exists in english. I feel like this saying will hold true with blizzard's map pool idea. In a couple weeks playing on Steppes of War won't be fun anymore.

While the exact dates are not yet set, Season 4 will be the shortest season of the year. This is due to Season 3 being the longest, as it was meant to last through the BlizzCon Global Finals.


Even two weeks on Steppes of War would exhaust any interest this dreadful map could have, and I guess the season will be longer than that. So if the map pool includes too many impossible maps (up to 4 in the poll options) this will still be quite an annoying experience.
ETisME
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
12888 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-10-03 18:32:31
October 03 2014 18:31 GMT
#428
On October 04 2014 03:18 [PkF] Wire wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 04 2014 03:02 Psione wrote:
On October 04 2014 00:25 algue wrote:
"the best jokes are the shortest" is a french saying, I don't know if it exists in english. I feel like this saying will hold true with blizzard's map pool idea. In a couple weeks playing on Steppes of War won't be fun anymore.

While the exact dates are not yet set, Season 4 will be the shortest season of the year. This is due to Season 3 being the longest, as it was meant to last through the BlizzCon Global Finals.


Even two weeks on Steppes of War would exhaust any interest this dreadful map could have, and I guess the season will be longer than that. So if the map pool includes too many impossible maps (up to 4 in the poll options) this will still be quite an annoying experience.

I don't mind it if it pops up every once a while but if it comes out frequently I would go crazy lol
Sometimes it's like 5 games on the same map in a row
其疾如风,其徐如林,侵掠如火,不动如山,难知如阴,动如雷震。
pure.Wasted
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
Canada4701 Posts
October 03 2014 18:32 GMT
#429
On October 04 2014 03:18 [PkF] Wire wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 04 2014 03:02 Psione wrote:
On October 04 2014 00:25 algue wrote:
"the best jokes are the shortest" is a french saying, I don't know if it exists in english. I feel like this saying will hold true with blizzard's map pool idea. In a couple weeks playing on Steppes of War won't be fun anymore.

While the exact dates are not yet set, Season 4 will be the shortest season of the year. This is due to Season 3 being the longest, as it was meant to last through the BlizzCon Global Finals.


Even two weeks on Steppes of War would exhaust any interest this dreadful map could have, and I guess the season will be longer than that. So if the map pool includes too many impossible maps (up to 4 in the poll options) this will still be quite an annoying experience.


Sometimes it sucks to live in a democracy.
INna Maru-da-FanTa, Bbaby, TY Dream that I'm Flashing you
Gullis
Profile Joined April 2012
Sweden740 Posts
October 03 2014 20:59 GMT
#430
On October 04 2014 03:32 pure.Wasted wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 04 2014 03:18 [PkF] Wire wrote:
On October 04 2014 03:02 Psione wrote:
On October 04 2014 00:25 algue wrote:
"the best jokes are the shortest" is a french saying, I don't know if it exists in english. I feel like this saying will hold true with blizzard's map pool idea. In a couple weeks playing on Steppes of War won't be fun anymore.

While the exact dates are not yet set, Season 4 will be the shortest season of the year. This is due to Season 3 being the longest, as it was meant to last through the BlizzCon Global Finals.


Even two weeks on Steppes of War would exhaust any interest this dreadful map could have, and I guess the season will be longer than that. So if the map pool includes too many impossible maps (up to 4 in the poll options) this will still be quite an annoying experience.


Sometimes it sucks to live in a democracy.

Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others.
I would rather eat than see my children starve.
[PkF] Wire
Profile Joined March 2013
France24239 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-10-03 23:27:36
October 03 2014 22:55 GMT
#431
On October 04 2014 03:32 pure.Wasted wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 04 2014 03:18 [PkF] Wire wrote:
On October 04 2014 03:02 Psione wrote:
On October 04 2014 00:25 algue wrote:
"the best jokes are the shortest" is a french saying, I don't know if it exists in english. I feel like this saying will hold true with blizzard's map pool idea. In a couple weeks playing on Steppes of War won't be fun anymore.

While the exact dates are not yet set, Season 4 will be the shortest season of the year. This is due to Season 3 being the longest, as it was meant to last through the BlizzCon Global Finals.


Even two weeks on Steppes of War would exhaust any interest this dreadful map could have, and I guess the season will be longer than that. So if the map pool includes too many impossible maps (up to 4 in the poll options) this will still be quite an annoying experience.


Sometimes it sucks to live in a democracy.


I've always believed in enlightened despotism. I'd have preferred Blizzard to choose seven classic maps making a decent map pool without asking us (for instance : Shakuras Plateau, Tal'darim Altar, Bel'shir Vestige, Whirlwind, Frost and Overgrowth ; it's not what I think is the best classic map pool possible, but it'd have catered for nostalgia as well as quality of play and have some maps from every time in it). "Democracy" is where the guy who wants to vote for Steppes of War just to be annoying or because he's totally clueless (or both...) is given the right to be such a nuisance. I don't think it's a good thing.
The_Templar
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
your Country52798 Posts
October 03 2014 22:57 GMT
#432
I posted this.
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/14730222991
Honestly, I'd rather play on one of those maps over and over. I can play Steppes with a friend if I want gimmicky games (although I do happen to like that kind of play).
ModeratorI am still alive, somehow
TL+ Member
[PkF] Wire
Profile Joined March 2013
France24239 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-10-03 23:22:05
October 03 2014 23:20 GMT
#433
On October 04 2014 07:57 The_Templar wrote:
I posted this.
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/14730222991
Honestly, I'd rather play on one of those maps over and over. I can play Steppes with a friend if I want gimmicky games (although I do happen to like that kind of play).


Blizzard is already using a lot of community made maps, and the last ones they introduced were far from awesome. I don't think the map pool should be made exclusively of community made maps ; they tend to try to have wannabe breakout features and gimmicks that in the end don't stand the test of time. The most awesome maps I can think of weren't the ones that introduced new mechanics or favored strats or had a specific meta. A lot of mapmakers appear to me like people who want to make a map that'll revolutionarize the gameplay, when as a player (maybe I'm the only one, I don't know) all I ask for are maps to play reasonable games on. Frost was certainly no upheaval, yet it was one of the most consistent, solid and dynamic map we ever had and I would still play it again and again without any fear of getting fed up with it. I think mapmakers should aim for maps like that, not maps with lava flows, narrow bridges, only gold bases or backdoors. Once again, this is my opinion and you're free to disagree with it totally, I think mapmakers especially will tell me I'm a stupid philistine, but this is how I feel.
[PkF] Wire
Profile Joined March 2013
France24239 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-10-04 11:50:00
October 04 2014 11:47 GMT
#434
Suddenly everything makes sense. This is a "Classic" map pool, but not in the way most people understood the word classic. This is the map pool where 2 rax is gonna be so good, naturals so wide open and thirds so impossible that Classic will switch back to Terran.
slytown
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Korea (South)1411 Posts
October 05 2014 19:46 GMT
#435
On October 04 2014 03:32 pure.Wasted wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 04 2014 03:18 [PkF] Wire wrote:
On October 04 2014 03:02 Psione wrote:
On October 04 2014 00:25 algue wrote:
"the best jokes are the shortest" is a french saying, I don't know if it exists in english. I feel like this saying will hold true with blizzard's map pool idea. In a couple weeks playing on Steppes of War won't be fun anymore.

While the exact dates are not yet set, Season 4 will be the shortest season of the year. This is due to Season 3 being the longest, as it was meant to last through the BlizzCon Global Finals.


Even two weeks on Steppes of War would exhaust any interest this dreadful map could have, and I guess the season will be longer than that. So if the map pool includes too many impossible maps (up to 4 in the poll options) this will still be quite an annoying experience.


Sometimes it sucks to live in a democracy.


Democratic Republic.
The best Flash meme ever: http://imgur.com/zquoK
Plexa
Profile Blog Joined October 2005
Aotearoa39261 Posts
October 05 2014 19:57 GMT
#436
On October 04 2014 08:20 [PkF] Wire wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 04 2014 07:57 The_Templar wrote:
I posted this.
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/14730222991
Honestly, I'd rather play on one of those maps over and over. I can play Steppes with a friend if I want gimmicky games (although I do happen to like that kind of play).


Blizzard is already using a lot of community made maps, and the last ones they introduced were far from awesome. I don't think the map pool should be made exclusively of community made maps ; they tend to try to have wannabe breakout features and gimmicks that in the end don't stand the test of time. The most awesome maps I can think of weren't the ones that introduced new mechanics or favored strats or had a specific meta. A lot of mapmakers appear to me like people who want to make a map that'll revolutionarize the gameplay, when as a player (maybe I'm the only one, I don't know) all I ask for are maps to play reasonable games on. Frost was certainly no upheaval, yet it was one of the most consistent, solid and dynamic map we ever had and I would still play it again and again without any fear of getting fed up with it. I think mapmakers should aim for maps like that, not maps with lava flows, narrow bridges, only gold bases or backdoors. Once again, this is my opinion and you're free to disagree with it totally, I think mapmakers especially will tell me I'm a stupid philistine, but this is how I feel.

There is a tension in your argument here. The maps introduce this season were pretty standard in the grand scheme of things, nothing like the lava flow, narrow bridges, only gold etc. that you seem to think.
Administrator~ Spirit will set you free ~
OtherWorld
Profile Blog Joined October 2013
France17333 Posts
October 05 2014 19:58 GMT
#437
On October 04 2014 08:20 [PkF] Wire wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 04 2014 07:57 The_Templar wrote:
I posted this.
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/14730222991
Honestly, I'd rather play on one of those maps over and over. I can play Steppes with a friend if I want gimmicky games (although I do happen to like that kind of play).


Blizzard is already using a lot of community made maps, and the last ones they introduced were far from awesome. I don't think the map pool should be made exclusively of community made maps ; they tend to try to have wannabe breakout features and gimmicks that in the end don't stand the test of time. The most awesome maps I can think of weren't the ones that introduced new mechanics or favored strats or had a specific meta. A lot of mapmakers appear to me like people who want to make a map that'll revolutionarize the gameplay, when as a player (maybe I'm the only one, I don't know) all I ask for are maps to play reasonable games on. Frost was certainly no upheaval, yet it was one of the most consistent, solid and dynamic map we ever had and I would still play it again and again without any fear of getting fed up with it. I think mapmakers should aim for maps like that, not maps with lava flows, narrow bridges, only gold bases or backdoors. Once again, this is my opinion and you're free to disagree with it totally, I think mapmakers especially will tell me I'm a stupid philistine, but this is how I feel.

But wasn't Frost a community map too? I mean the maps that immediately come to me when we're talking about "best maps" are Cloud Kingdom, Frost, Bel'shir and Habitation, and I believe all were community maps. Blizzard maps, on the other hand, tend to be like this, this, this or this.
Used Sigs - New Sigs - Cheap Sigs - Buy the Best Cheap Sig near You at www.cheapsigforsale.com
[PkF] Wire
Profile Joined March 2013
France24239 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-10-05 21:01:19
October 05 2014 20:46 GMT
#438
On October 06 2014 04:57 Plexa wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 04 2014 08:20 [PkF] Wire wrote:
On October 04 2014 07:57 The_Templar wrote:
I posted this.
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/14730222991
Honestly, I'd rather play on one of those maps over and over. I can play Steppes with a friend if I want gimmicky games (although I do happen to like that kind of play).


Blizzard is already using a lot of community made maps, and the last ones they introduced were far from awesome. I don't think the map pool should be made exclusively of community made maps ; they tend to try to have wannabe breakout features and gimmicks that in the end don't stand the test of time. The most awesome maps I can think of weren't the ones that introduced new mechanics or favored strats or had a specific meta. A lot of mapmakers appear to me like people who want to make a map that'll revolutionarize the gameplay, when as a player (maybe I'm the only one, I don't know) all I ask for are maps to play reasonable games on. Frost was certainly no upheaval, yet it was one of the most consistent, solid and dynamic map we ever had and I would still play it again and again without any fear of getting fed up with it. I think mapmakers should aim for maps like that, not maps with lava flows, narrow bridges, only gold bases or backdoors. Once again, this is my opinion and you're free to disagree with it totally, I think mapmakers especially will tell me I'm a stupid philistine, but this is how I feel.

There is a tension in your argument here. The maps introduce this season were pretty standard in the grand scheme of things, nothing like the lava flow, narrow bridges, only gold etc. that you seem to think.


Don't get me wrong, I'm genuinely glad we have community made maps, they're usually good though I happen to really dislike the last bunch of maps, that are dull and sometimes borderline broken. But it really angers me when people act like Blizzard is not already using community made maps and experimenting. They are doing both, maybe not enough for some, but they are doing it, and frankly I think they're doing a good job. The most recent map pools we had were really good.

Edit : to be clear, I'm not criticizing the fact that the ladder uses community made maps, this is absolutely great, rather that :
1) I feel people don't give enough credit to Blizzard for actually using some in their ladder map pools.
2) I feel (and it's probably a very personal feeling) there is too few mapmakers who focus on making solid maps without any really distinctive feature. I don't care if a map doesn't have a really distinctive feature if it's a great map, I even think a great map shouldn't rely on a distinctive feature.

I'd like to add I hate 1v1 maps that are not 2 spawns, just to state it
The_Templar
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
your Country52798 Posts
October 06 2014 18:57 GMT
#439


Going to guess Steppes, who's with me?
ModeratorI am still alive, somehow
TL+ Member
IeZaeL
Profile Joined July 2012
Italy991 Posts
October 06 2014 19:06 GMT
#440
Just wish they used this version of Steppes of war : http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/sc2-maps/362142-2-steppes-of-war-20 instead of the blizzard one. Feels so much more balanced and refined overall :p
Author of Coda and Eastwatch.
Prev 1 20 21 22 23 24 54 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Monday Night Weeklies
01:00
#66
TKL 2011
RotterdaM908
TaKeTV 279
IndyStarCraft 191
SteadfastSC124
ZombieGrub85
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
TKL 2011
RotterdaM 908
IndyStarCraft 191
MaxPax 177
RuFF_SC2 152
SteadfastSC 124
ZombieGrub85
UpATreeSC 72
MindelVK 27
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 2942
Shuttle 561
Dewaltoss 104
910 74
Zeus 70
Mind 68
ToSsGirL 20
Bale 15
Dota 2
qojqva3586
Counter-Strike
fl0m6219
pashabiceps1261
Fnx 667
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4281
Liquid`Hasu481
Other Games
Beastyqt775
ceh9450
mouzStarbuck396
C9.Mang0152
ToD102
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV224
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream26
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• kabyraGe 140
• Reevou 8
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• 80smullet 15
• Eskiya23 11
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie781
• Shiphtur312
Upcoming Events
Replay Cast
3h 49m
Afreeca Starleague
14h 49m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
15h 49m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 4h
Patches Events
1d 20h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
OSC
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.