• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 18:49
CEST 00:49
KST 07:49
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2317
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BSL Season 23 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9404 users

Season 4 Ladder Map Pool: Voting Begins! - Page 21

Forum Index > SC2 General
1068 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 19 20 21 22 23 54 Next
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27460 Posts
October 02 2014 23:15 GMT
#401
On October 02 2014 22:28 Big J wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 02 2014 21:09 Wombat_NI wrote:
On October 02 2014 20:35 Big J wrote:
On October 02 2014 20:07 Meavis wrote:
On October 02 2014 19:15 Wombat_NI wrote:
On October 02 2014 18:28 Meavis wrote:
On October 02 2014 18:07 [PkF] Wire wrote:
On October 02 2014 17:41 LoneYoShi wrote:
I'm super eager to know what the map pool will end up being.


As for me, I'm super afraid, but you must be the optimistic guy.

On October 02 2014 17:41 LoneYoShi wrote:
Please consider using community-made maps !


... they already did with Catallena, Foxtrot Labs, Deadwing and Nimbus, which weren't that exciting nor balanced -especially Nimbus which is broken as hell, PvT is a nightmare on this map. They should just add solid maps, I don't care if they're community made or not as long as they're reasonably standard good maps.


P-please p-pick me...

That looks pretty cool man, hope it gets some traction soon


Wouldn't count on it, ran out of traction long ago.

On October 02 2014 19:48 Big J wrote:
On October 02 2014 19:10 Teoita wrote:
On October 02 2014 18:07 [PkF] Wire wrote:
... they already did with Catallena, Foxtrot Labs, Deadwing and Nimbus,


Along with (counting GSL/Team Crux maps) Cloud Kingdom, Daybreak, Korhal Compound, Metropolis, Ohana, Bel'shir Vestige, Frost, Habitation Station, Heavy Rain, King Sejong Station, Korhal Sky Island, Merry Go Round, Neo Planet S, Overgrowth, Polar Night, Red City, Whirlwind and Yeonsu...roughly one third (7/18) of those coming from TLMC.

Some turned out balanced and others didn't, but overall they have always been far, far better than Blizzard's maps (hello Daedalus Point!)


Well, the reason why blizzard maps aren't that good is that they try things.


so do community mappers, but they don't have a free ticket to the ladder unlike blizz maps.


Yup. That's true. But the community maps that try things also don't get upvoted by the community, unless you just cut every standard map from the contest like in that TLMC. And even then not an innovative map won, but one that was flashy and used scripts.

On October 02 2014 20:07 Meavis wrote:
On October 02 2014 19:48 Big J wrote:
They have actually shown us that they are easily capable of producing standard, somewhat balanced maps (Antiga, Akilon, Entombed, Derelicted, Star Station, Heavy Rain, Newkirk...).


all of those maps had issues to some degree, and heavy rain was community made.

Every map has some issues to some degree.
I thought that was a blizzard map, given how much shit they got for it.

It just seems very difficult to get people to play on community maps that aren't picked up by WCS, or previously to the current system those maps that were used by GSL/IPL etc.

It's a sucky situation that is hard to resolve. I was perusing the mapmaking section here and saw a lot that looked pretty interesting.

yup. But I think it is partly the communities fault that really good maps do not get a chance, given how little interest there is in mapmaking. (Map of the Month gets decided by what, 100votes; Great maps have what, 10comments?)
Basically you need a contest like TLMC or a sponsor like RedBull to even put a spotlight on the mapmaking scene. Then blizzard picks a few of those maps and all the attention goes away again.
1month later people go back on the forums to tell everybody how blizzard doesn't care about community maps, while Gems like http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/sc2-maps/465166-2-expedition-lost have only 12replies, 3 by its own maker.

I feel fucking terrible for mapmakers when reading these threads. You're entirely correct about the community.

Was running a LAN at home and people's reticence to play on anything other than the current set of ladder maps. What chance do mapmakers have to get people playing their maps when local Irish LANs with an average league of Diamond, with a lot of them not even countenancing us having our own handpicked map pool?

I'm not even talking wacky shit, people were vociferously arguing against even the potential inclusion of Cloud Kingdom, which is one of the most-played maps of all SC2

I know TotalBiscuit's clan wars experimented a bit with having pros trying out interesting maps, what else would be possible? I think a good start would be trying to get showmatches, especially those with community chipping in financially, to use as many of the maps from the mapmaking community as possible.

It's hardly revolutionary and has been done before, I just don't know how you get such a trend going without some of the bigger community figures leading it.

I know as a viewer, unless I'm really a fan of one or both of the players that showmatches largely don't hold my interest like they used to, especially with so many tournaments to choose from/ less time to view SC. However a Bo9 showmatch on maps I haven't seen, fuck yeah!
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
SidianTheBard
Profile Joined October 2010
United States2475 Posts
October 02 2014 23:39 GMT
#402
I really think for this season they should just increase the number of vetos but also increase the map pool and include brand new maps as well with either standard or unique styles. To be honest here, it'll be neat to see how balance plays out on some of these old WoL maps because then creating new HotS maps you can use some of the features from WoL that maybe we were too nervous to use because of how imbalanced they were in WoL.

Why not have the dream pool yet also include another 5,6 or 7 blizzard or community maps. If one of more turn out really good during this off season maybe they could be incorporated into the 2015 season. Let's be honest here, even if Daybreak turns out to be an awesome map this season and it is 50% w/l ratio for every race, people won't want it in the pool because they've already had in the pool for years upon years, same for every other map that is being brought back.

Including something new and fresh with some unique styles could really give those maps some "practice" time during this off season and if they turn out great, they could be starting maps in 2015. What's going to happen when the 2015 pool starts? Are we going to be stuck with 1/2 the current map pool and add another 3 or 4 new maps? Why not try to completely refresh the 2015 map pool?
Creator of Abyssal Reef, Ascension to Aiur, Battle on the Boardwalk, Habitation Station, Honorgrounds, IPL Darkness Falls, King's Cove, Korhal Carnage Knockout & Moonlight Madness.
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27460 Posts
October 02 2014 23:45 GMT
#403
Yeah, I've never really got feedback either way whenever I post on it, but I would be much happier with a much bigger ladder pool with correspondingly increased ability to veto. Or perhaps unranked has additional maps for experimentation, as people value dem ladder points.

Potential issues would be the same phenomenon I outlined above, namely that people are just too stuck in ladder warrior mode that they'll just veto out the different ones. Secondly, the architecture behind unranked ladder might make Blizz unable to add maps exclusively to that queue, although I doubt it. Thirdly people seem to treat unranked very similarly to ranked so it wouldn't necessarily free people up to experiment more.
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
Spect8rCraft
Profile Joined December 2012
649 Posts
October 02 2014 23:58 GMT
#404
On October 02 2014 22:28 Big J wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 02 2014 21:09 Wombat_NI wrote:
On October 02 2014 20:35 Big J wrote:
On October 02 2014 20:07 Meavis wrote:
On October 02 2014 19:15 Wombat_NI wrote:
On October 02 2014 18:28 Meavis wrote:
On October 02 2014 18:07 [PkF] Wire wrote:
On October 02 2014 17:41 LoneYoShi wrote:
I'm super eager to know what the map pool will end up being.


As for me, I'm super afraid, but you must be the optimistic guy.

On October 02 2014 17:41 LoneYoShi wrote:
Please consider using community-made maps !


... they already did with Catallena, Foxtrot Labs, Deadwing and Nimbus, which weren't that exciting nor balanced -especially Nimbus which is broken as hell, PvT is a nightmare on this map. They should just add solid maps, I don't care if they're community made or not as long as they're reasonably standard good maps.


P-please p-pick me...

That looks pretty cool man, hope it gets some traction soon


Wouldn't count on it, ran out of traction long ago.

On October 02 2014 19:48 Big J wrote:
On October 02 2014 19:10 Teoita wrote:
On October 02 2014 18:07 [PkF] Wire wrote:
... they already did with Catallena, Foxtrot Labs, Deadwing and Nimbus,


Along with (counting GSL/Team Crux maps) Cloud Kingdom, Daybreak, Korhal Compound, Metropolis, Ohana, Bel'shir Vestige, Frost, Habitation Station, Heavy Rain, King Sejong Station, Korhal Sky Island, Merry Go Round, Neo Planet S, Overgrowth, Polar Night, Red City, Whirlwind and Yeonsu...roughly one third (7/18) of those coming from TLMC.

Some turned out balanced and others didn't, but overall they have always been far, far better than Blizzard's maps (hello Daedalus Point!)


Well, the reason why blizzard maps aren't that good is that they try things.


so do community mappers, but they don't have a free ticket to the ladder unlike blizz maps.


Yup. That's true. But the community maps that try things also don't get upvoted by the community, unless you just cut every standard map from the contest like in that TLMC. And even then not an innovative map won, but one that was flashy and used scripts.

On October 02 2014 20:07 Meavis wrote:
On October 02 2014 19:48 Big J wrote:
They have actually shown us that they are easily capable of producing standard, somewhat balanced maps (Antiga, Akilon, Entombed, Derelicted, Star Station, Heavy Rain, Newkirk...).


all of those maps had issues to some degree, and heavy rain was community made.

Every map has some issues to some degree.
I thought that was a blizzard map, given how much shit they got for it.

It just seems very difficult to get people to play on community maps that aren't picked up by WCS, or previously to the current system those maps that were used by GSL/IPL etc.

It's a sucky situation that is hard to resolve. I was perusing the mapmaking section here and saw a lot that looked pretty interesting.

yup. But I think it is partly the communities fault that really good maps do not get a chance, given how little interest there is in mapmaking. (Map of the Month gets decided by what, 100votes; Great maps have what, 10comments?)
Basically you need a contest like TLMC or a sponsor like RedBull to even put a spotlight on the mapmaking scene. Then blizzard picks a few of those maps and all the attention goes away again.
1month later people go back on the forums to tell everybody how blizzard doesn't care about community maps, while Gems like http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/sc2-maps/465166-2-expedition-lost have only 12replies, 3 by its own maker.


I'm kind of of the mind of not posting in the map threads because I'm not well-versed in mapmaking (or SC2 in general, for that matter), and am unsure if the mapmaking community would be okay with non-critical praise and non-critical suggestions that might sound absolutely stupid to anyone outside of said community.
deacon.frost
Profile Joined February 2013
Czech Republic12134 Posts
October 03 2014 06:43 GMT
#405
On October 03 2014 08:45 Wombat_NI wrote:
Yeah, I've never really got feedback either way whenever I post on it, but I would be much happier with a much bigger ladder pool with correspondingly increased ability to veto. Or perhaps unranked has additional maps for experimentation, as people value dem ladder points.

Potential issues would be the same phenomenon I outlined above, namely that people are just too stuck in ladder warrior mode that they'll just veto out the different ones. Secondly, the architecture behind unranked ladder might make Blizz unable to add maps exclusively to that queue, although I doubt it. Thirdly people seem to treat unranked very similarly to ranked so it wouldn't necessarily free people up to experiment more.

It is so easy for Blizzard to add 2 or 3 maps from community to pool and give these new maps a FREE veto. Then release numbers after a month(how much these maps were played) and select different 2 or 3 maps with free veto. The rest can stay there. This way you have bigger map pool for those who want new maps much more often and stable pool for the others.

They just do not want to(or they didn't think about it). I don't think this solution would impact the queue time seriously.
I imagine France should be able to take this unless Lilbow is busy practicing for Starcraft III. | KadaverBB is my fairy ban mother.
Cascade
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
Australia5405 Posts
October 03 2014 07:12 GMT
#406
Wait, blizzard will seriously for real have steppes of war on the normal sc2 ladder? :o
I am not missing anything here? Steppes of war? On the usual ladder? Soo goes and queues up for a game on the ladder as normal, and he gets to play on steppes of war? How... Why.... I am in disbelief...

How can Blizzard not realise that it is a horrible idea to decide the maps like this?? I'm sure they read the forums enough to know that these people should not be in charge of anything.

Or is this just a big finger to everyone complaining that Blizzard doesn't listen to the community? "Ok, guys, let us show you what happens when we listen to the community. Remember this season before you complain about that again!"
deacon.frost
Profile Joined February 2013
Czech Republic12134 Posts
October 03 2014 07:19 GMT
#407
On October 03 2014 16:12 Cascade wrote:
Wait, blizzard will seriously for real have steppes of war on the normal sc2 ladder? :o
I am not missing anything here? Steppes of war? On the usual ladder? Soo goes and queues up for a game on the ladder as normal, and he gets to play on steppes of war? How... Why.... I am in disbelief...

How can Blizzard not realise that it is a horrible idea to decide the maps like this?? I'm sure they read the forums enough to know that these people should not be in charge of anything.

Or is this just a big finger to everyone complaining that Blizzard doesn't listen to the community? "Ok, guys, let us show you what happens when we listen to the community. Remember this season before you complain about that again!"

What's wrong on Steppes of War? Locusts from your natural can almost reach main of your opponent, this seems like Blizzard's dream, also this map is super bad for blink all ins. Beautiful

I couldn't find the result thread on bnet, so where it is exactly?
I imagine France should be able to take this unless Lilbow is busy practicing for Starcraft III. | KadaverBB is my fairy ban mother.
BurningRanger
Profile Joined January 2012
Germany303 Posts
October 03 2014 07:33 GMT
#408
On October 03 2014 16:19 deacon.frost wrote:
I couldn't find the result thread on bnet, so where it is exactly?

The maps will be announced one at a time over the next few weeks. (Bluepost about it)
My Livestream: http://www.twitch.tv/burningranger | My youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/BurningR4nger
deacon.frost
Profile Joined February 2013
Czech Republic12134 Posts
October 03 2014 07:46 GMT
#409
On October 03 2014 16:33 BurningRanger wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 03 2014 16:19 deacon.frost wrote:
I couldn't find the result thread on bnet, so where it is exactly?

The maps will be announced one at a time over the next few weeks. (Bluepost about it)

Yes, but he was writing about Steppes as it is there for sure so I was expecting some news and, well, nothing .-)
I imagine France should be able to take this unless Lilbow is busy practicing for Starcraft III. | KadaverBB is my fairy ban mother.
Cascade
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
Australia5405 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-10-03 08:10:07
October 03 2014 08:08 GMT
#410
On October 03 2014 16:46 deacon.frost wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 03 2014 16:33 BurningRanger wrote:
On October 03 2014 16:19 deacon.frost wrote:
I couldn't find the result thread on bnet, so where it is exactly?

The maps will be announced one at a time over the next few weeks. (Bluepost about it)

Yes, but he was writing about Steppes as it is there for sure so I was expecting some news and, well, nothing .-)

No it's not sure, I just judged from the comments. And the fact that blizzard would even put something like that in the voting pool is sufficiently shocking. :o

edit: Also note how the comments trying to bring reason to the discussion get like 50 downvotes, while "voted steps for the lulz" get +50.
deacon.frost
Profile Joined February 2013
Czech Republic12134 Posts
October 03 2014 08:10 GMT
#411
Oh, OK, misunderstanding, Friday and stuff Though I probably host today a match against an Easy AI as a Zerg using Zapp Brannigan special tactic - I will send wave after wave! I have to see how far the locusts make it with & without the creep
I imagine France should be able to take this unless Lilbow is busy practicing for Starcraft III. | KadaverBB is my fairy ban mother.
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27460 Posts
October 03 2014 08:34 GMT
#412
On October 03 2014 17:10 deacon.frost wrote:
Oh, OK, misunderstanding, Friday and stuff Though I probably host today a match against an Easy AI as a Zerg using Zapp Brannigan special tactic - I will send wave after wave! I have to see how far the locusts make it with & without the creep

"You see, killbots have a preset kill limit. Knowing their weakness, I sent wave after wave of my own men at them until they reached their limit and shut down."
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
Tzyx
Profile Joined August 2010
Northern Ireland281 Posts
October 03 2014 08:40 GMT
#413
I had a couple of games on steppes of war for a laugh last night and the locusts really are that ridiculous if you can survive long enough to get the hosts out haha.
CursedFeanor
Profile Joined August 2010
Canada539 Posts
October 03 2014 12:34 GMT
#414
I think this is a brilliant move from Blizzard. Not for the pro scene, but for the average casual players who slowly have stopped playing the game. This might actually bring more people to the ladder, because the average player just want to have fun when playing this game and that's what will happen with such crazy map pool.

And it might even be beneficial for the pros, so they can start experimenting again and figuring out new ways to play. Seeing the same games over and over again on identical maps is not much fun even for the viewers anyway.
MrCon
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
France29748 Posts
October 03 2014 13:19 GMT
#415
On September 28 2014 10:50 Liquid`Jinro wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 28 2014 05:13 MrCon wrote:
I think there is a map missing, it was an ice map on which jinro lost to morrow when he baneling busted him all games. Also the map on which a protoss when full void ray on...I think nada ? and impaled himself and lost during GSL.

He banelimg busted 2/3 games for the 2-1 win. I had a wall with all my raxes, facs depots and bunkers and still lost on crevasse.

I was so mad I punched a hole in the wall.

I know I found the game and the map on TLPD and there was the VOD, couldn't resist and watched it =p
Liquid`Jinro
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
Sweden33719 Posts
October 03 2014 14:52 GMT
#416
On October 03 2014 08:15 Wombat_NI wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 02 2014 22:28 Big J wrote:
On October 02 2014 21:09 Wombat_NI wrote:
On October 02 2014 20:35 Big J wrote:
On October 02 2014 20:07 Meavis wrote:
On October 02 2014 19:15 Wombat_NI wrote:
On October 02 2014 18:28 Meavis wrote:
On October 02 2014 18:07 [PkF] Wire wrote:
On October 02 2014 17:41 LoneYoShi wrote:
I'm super eager to know what the map pool will end up being.


As for me, I'm super afraid, but you must be the optimistic guy.

On October 02 2014 17:41 LoneYoShi wrote:
Please consider using community-made maps !


... they already did with Catallena, Foxtrot Labs, Deadwing and Nimbus, which weren't that exciting nor balanced -especially Nimbus which is broken as hell, PvT is a nightmare on this map. They should just add solid maps, I don't care if they're community made or not as long as they're reasonably standard good maps.


P-please p-pick me...

That looks pretty cool man, hope it gets some traction soon


Wouldn't count on it, ran out of traction long ago.

On October 02 2014 19:48 Big J wrote:
On October 02 2014 19:10 Teoita wrote:
On October 02 2014 18:07 [PkF] Wire wrote:
... they already did with Catallena, Foxtrot Labs, Deadwing and Nimbus,


Along with (counting GSL/Team Crux maps) Cloud Kingdom, Daybreak, Korhal Compound, Metropolis, Ohana, Bel'shir Vestige, Frost, Habitation Station, Heavy Rain, King Sejong Station, Korhal Sky Island, Merry Go Round, Neo Planet S, Overgrowth, Polar Night, Red City, Whirlwind and Yeonsu...roughly one third (7/18) of those coming from TLMC.

Some turned out balanced and others didn't, but overall they have always been far, far better than Blizzard's maps (hello Daedalus Point!)


Well, the reason why blizzard maps aren't that good is that they try things.


so do community mappers, but they don't have a free ticket to the ladder unlike blizz maps.


Yup. That's true. But the community maps that try things also don't get upvoted by the community, unless you just cut every standard map from the contest like in that TLMC. And even then not an innovative map won, but one that was flashy and used scripts.

On October 02 2014 20:07 Meavis wrote:
On October 02 2014 19:48 Big J wrote:
They have actually shown us that they are easily capable of producing standard, somewhat balanced maps (Antiga, Akilon, Entombed, Derelicted, Star Station, Heavy Rain, Newkirk...).


all of those maps had issues to some degree, and heavy rain was community made.

Every map has some issues to some degree.
I thought that was a blizzard map, given how much shit they got for it.

It just seems very difficult to get people to play on community maps that aren't picked up by WCS, or previously to the current system those maps that were used by GSL/IPL etc.

It's a sucky situation that is hard to resolve. I was perusing the mapmaking section here and saw a lot that looked pretty interesting.

yup. But I think it is partly the communities fault that really good maps do not get a chance, given how little interest there is in mapmaking. (Map of the Month gets decided by what, 100votes; Great maps have what, 10comments?)
Basically you need a contest like TLMC or a sponsor like RedBull to even put a spotlight on the mapmaking scene. Then blizzard picks a few of those maps and all the attention goes away again.
1month later people go back on the forums to tell everybody how blizzard doesn't care about community maps, while Gems like http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/sc2-maps/465166-2-expedition-lost have only 12replies, 3 by its own maker.

I feel fucking terrible for mapmakers when reading these threads. You're entirely correct about the community.

Was running a LAN at home and people's reticence to play on anything other than the current set of ladder maps. What chance do mapmakers have to get people playing their maps when local Irish LANs with an average league of Diamond, with a lot of them not even countenancing us having our own handpicked map pool?

I'm not even talking wacky shit, people were vociferously arguing against even the potential inclusion of Cloud Kingdom, which is one of the most-played maps of all SC2

I know TotalBiscuit's clan wars experimented a bit with having pros trying out interesting maps, what else would be possible? I think a good start would be trying to get showmatches, especially those with community chipping in financially, to use as many of the maps from the mapmaking community as possible.

It's hardly revolutionary and has been done before, I just don't know how you get such a trend going without some of the bigger community figures leading it.

I know as a viewer, unless I'm really a fan of one or both of the players that showmatches largely don't hold my interest like they used to, especially with so many tournaments to choose from/ less time to view SC. However a Bo9 showmatch on maps I haven't seen, fuck yeah!


Hm, way back in BW days, we used to have a op TL (the semi-official TL bnet channel) friday night tour, where the map selection was pretty free.

I made the finals against one of my friends once and we played all 5 games on just maps he had made (he was a really really good mapmaker, he made some maps that were picked for Blizzcon --- his ID was Travin if people remember).

Anyway, maybe a community tournament like that might be fun. I'm not sure I have the time (partly because of timezone) to host something like this, but I've been thinking it'd be a fun thign to do lately.
Moderatortell the guy that interplanatar interaction is pivotal to terrans variety of optionitudals in the pre-midgame preperatories as well as the protosstinal deterriggation of elite zergling strikes - Stimey n | Formerly FrozenArbiter
SatedSC2
Profile Blog Joined March 2014
England3012 Posts
October 03 2014 15:09 GMT
#417
--- Nuked ---
FFW_Rude
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
France10201 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-10-03 15:22:35
October 03 2014 15:22 GMT
#418
On October 04 2014 00:09 SatedSC2 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 03 2014 16:19 deacon.frost wrote:
On October 03 2014 16:12 Cascade wrote:
Wait, blizzard will seriously for real have steppes of war on the normal sc2 ladder? :o
I am not missing anything here? Steppes of war? On the usual ladder? Soo goes and queues up for a game on the ladder as normal, and he gets to play on steppes of war? How... Why.... I am in disbelief...

How can Blizzard not realise that it is a horrible idea to decide the maps like this?? I'm sure they read the forums enough to know that these people should not be in charge of anything.

Or is this just a big finger to everyone complaining that Blizzard doesn't listen to the community? "Ok, guys, let us show you what happens when we listen to the community. Remember this season before you complain about that again!"

What's wrong on Steppes of War? Locusts from your natural can almost reach main of your opponent, this seems like Blizzard's dream, also this map is super bad for blink all ins. Beautiful

I couldn't find the result thread on bnet, so where it is exactly?

Let's be serious. Anyone with a serious/competitive interest in SC2 will veto Steppes of War either immediately or very soon after playing a couple of joke games on it...


Why ? 6pool can't be stopped by a P on this map but if you don't... triple pylon wall will be back. Oh well. Nydus will get usefull
#1 KT Rolster fanboy. KT BEST KT ! Hail to KT playoffs Zergs ! Unofficial french translator for SlayerS_`Boxer` biography "Crazy as me".
algue
Profile Joined July 2011
France1436 Posts
October 03 2014 15:25 GMT
#419
"the best jokes are the shortest" is a french saying, I don't know if it exists in english. I feel like this saying will hold true with blizzard's map pool idea. In a couple weeks playing on Steppes of War won't be fun anymore.
rly ?
The_Templar
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
your Country52798 Posts
October 03 2014 15:28 GMT
#420
On October 04 2014 00:22 FFW_Rude wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 04 2014 00:09 SatedSC2 wrote:
On October 03 2014 16:19 deacon.frost wrote:
On October 03 2014 16:12 Cascade wrote:
Wait, blizzard will seriously for real have steppes of war on the normal sc2 ladder? :o
I am not missing anything here? Steppes of war? On the usual ladder? Soo goes and queues up for a game on the ladder as normal, and he gets to play on steppes of war? How... Why.... I am in disbelief...

How can Blizzard not realise that it is a horrible idea to decide the maps like this?? I'm sure they read the forums enough to know that these people should not be in charge of anything.

Or is this just a big finger to everyone complaining that Blizzard doesn't listen to the community? "Ok, guys, let us show you what happens when we listen to the community. Remember this season before you complain about that again!"

What's wrong on Steppes of War? Locusts from your natural can almost reach main of your opponent, this seems like Blizzard's dream, also this map is super bad for blink all ins. Beautiful

I couldn't find the result thread on bnet, so where it is exactly?

Let's be serious. Anyone with a serious/competitive interest in SC2 will veto Steppes of War either immediately or very soon after playing a couple of joke games on it...


Why ? 6pool can't be stopped by a P on this map but if you don't... triple pylon wall will be back. Oh well. Nydus will get usefull

Pylon scout --> 11 forge and pylon wall against 6 pool
ModeratorI am still alive, somehow
TL+ Member
Prev 1 19 20 21 22 23 54 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 11m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nathanias 177
Nina 125
SteadfastSC 61
CosmosSc2 21
StarCraft: Brood War
Artosis 505
910 60
Bale 11
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm47
League of Legends
Doublelift1849
Super Smash Bros
PPMD55
Other Games
summit1g10174
Grubby3183
shahzam598
C9.Mang0261
PiGStarcraft225
Maynarde80
Liquid`Ken8
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream26
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 120
• musti20045 40
• davetesta6
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota21644
Other Games
• imaqtpie897
• Shiphtur289
Upcoming Events
Replay Cast
11m
CranKy Ducklings0
Afreeca Starleague
11h 11m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
12h 11m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 1h
Patches Events
1d 17h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
OSC
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.