• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 20:20
CEST 02:20
KST 09:20
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War575.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
$3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem Fantasy returning? TL Sidebar missing streams
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8862 users

[M] (2) Steppes of War 2.0

Forum Index > SC2 Maps & Custom Games
Post a Reply
1 2 Next All
-NegativeZero-
Profile Joined August 2011
United States2142 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-10-12 17:57:38
August 21 2012 04:19 GMT
#1
Steppes of War 2.0 by -NegativeZero-
Not yet published
Playable bounds: 140x140
Textures: all Bel'Shir

[image loading]

Angled overview:
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Aesthetic/detail images:
+ Show Spoiler +

[image loading]

[image loading]

[image loading]

[image loading]

[image loading]

[image loading]


Based on Steppes of War by Blizzard

Notes/features:
-Map size increased to 140x140 from the original 124x124
-Overall layout is similar to the original. The area around the 4th/5th was changed the most extensively; also 6th bases (6m1hyg) were added, and terrain features added to the enlarged center
-Natural choke can be walled with 3 3x3 buildings
-Daybreak/Cloud Kingdom style rocks on 3 FF ramp in front of the nat (could remove these if attacking is too difficult)
-Tanks can siege a single geyser at the natural, nothing else
-Center design modeled after the popular BW concept of a shorter, more direct path which is narrow and awkward to traverse with a large army, encouraging players to take a longer route later in the game. All units are capable of passing through the center choke, which is 3 squares (1 FF) wide at each end and 2 squares wide on either side of the Xel'Naga tower.

Concerns:
-Potentially too easy to defend 3 bases (possible solution: remove rocks in front of nat)
-Some areas in the center might be slightly too open
-Tanks being able to hit 1 of the nat's geysers (intended as a feature of the map, but could be a problem)
-I need a better name for this - something that will make people who search for Steppes of War in SC2 want to try this map over the original

Original (old) post:
+ Show Spoiler +


Steppes of War 2.0
Not yet published
Playable bounds: 132x140
Textures: Bel'Shir only

[image loading]

Inspired by Clbull's recent attempts to redesign Steppes of War, I thought I'd try to make my own version. Unlike him, who took significant liberties with the map design, the goal for me was to keep the layout as close to the original as possible while making it more balanced and playable.

The map is in no way complete - especially the aesthetics, so please don't complain about those quite yet . I thought I'd see if anyone had suggestions or criticisms before finalizing everything.

Important notes:
-The map size was increased slightly from the original, but basically by the minimum amount I thought necessary.
-The nat is unsiegeable except for the one geyser nearest to the cliff - tanks can't hit the minerals at all.

Some questions/concerns:
-Might be too easy to turtle on 3 bases. The obvious solution is to remove the rocks at the ramp by the nat, but the rocks are important to help defend early aggression due to the short rush distances.
-Watchtower placement. One tower in the center is pretty standard, but due to the small map size it might cover too much. It is possible to avoid the tower's range by hugging the cliff between the nat and the opponent's 5th.

Things I'm definitely changing:
-Adjusting 5th bases so the long corridor entrance can't be sieged from enemy nat (either moving the bases or just slightly stretching the map horizontally)
vibeo gane,
X3GoldDot
Profile Joined August 2011
Malaysia3840 Posts
August 21 2012 04:57 GMT
#2
rush distances look too close imho,middle isnt chokey, probably needs 2 more bases somewhere, basically its near impossible to remake steppes of war to be playable and balanced atm
prime/startale/[SexComaZerg, RoyalRoaderZerg, SirLifealot] ingame ID = GoodGame
EatThePath
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
United States3943 Posts
August 21 2012 05:10 GMT
#3
On August 21 2012 13:57 X3GoldDot wrote:
rush distances look too close imho,middle isnt chokey, probably needs 2 more bases somewhere, basically its near impossible to remake steppes of war to be playable and balanced atm


What? This is fine. It's like a 2 player entombed valley.
Comprehensive strategic intention: DNE
FlaShFTW
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States10569 Posts
August 21 2012 05:37 GMT
#4
made a shit map into a really good map. amazing rework!
Writer#1 KT and FlaSh Fanboy || Woo Jung Ho Never Forget || Teamliquid Political Decision Desk
TL+ Member
HamzasSister
Profile Joined February 2011
United States26 Posts
August 21 2012 06:18 GMT
#5
This is some really beast work right here. When are you going to publish so I can try this out.
Fatam
Profile Joined June 2012
1986 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-08-21 06:47:20
August 21 2012 06:46 GMT
#6
Yeah that rush distance looks ok to the naked eye at least. It looks similar to Ohana's, maybe a hair shorter. I'm not really sure why the middle being too "chokey" is listed on your concerns. That's a pretty open center.

Concerning the XNT, I actually think this map is one of the few that could get away with not having one. The 2 main reasons you place a xel'naga are 1) to provide a point of contention 2) give players a way to watch their front or backdoor (especially if there are a lot of attack paths). Oh and maybe 3) because the map is friggin' huge. Although that's sort of covered in 2. Here, players will be fighting in the middle already because it's basically the only way to get anywhere, so 1 is scratched off the list. As far as 2 goes, the distance between your nat ramp and the 3rd is small, and there's no other way to get in other than drops.. so there's not really an alternate attack path to watch. And obviously reason 3 is of no concern here.

One thing I thought when I saw this was "wow this map is so laughably bad for aggressive blink stalker play" but I don't think that's an actual issue. Just funny (maybe only to me though.. mapmaker humor :-\) so I thought I'd share.

Anyway, map is obviously improved. Good job. I'd hit it.
Search "FTM" in SC2 | Latest Maps: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/sc2-maps/528528-2-ftm-siegfried-station http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/sc2-maps/525489-2-ftm-crimson-aftermath http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/sc2-maps/524737-2-ftm-grime
-NegativeZero-
Profile Joined August 2011
United States2142 Posts
August 21 2012 06:55 GMT
#7
On August 21 2012 15:46 Fatam wrote:
Yeah that rush distance looks ok to the naked eye at least. It looks similar to Ohana's, maybe a hair shorter. I'm not really sure why the middle being too "chokey" is listed on your concerns. That's a pretty open center.

Concerning the XNT, I actually think this map is one of the few that could get away with not having one. The 2 main reasons you place a xel'naga are 1) to provide a point of contention 2) give players a way to watch their front or backdoor (especially if there are a lot of attack paths). Oh and maybe 3) because the map is friggin' huge. Although that's sort of covered in 2. Here, players will be fighting in the middle already because it's basically the only way to get anywhere, so 1 is scratched off the list. As far as 2 goes, the distance between your nat ramp and the 3rd is small, and there's no other way to get in other than drops.. so there's not really an alternate attack path to watch. And obviously reason 3 is of no concern here.

One thing I thought when I saw this was "wow this map is so laughably bad for aggressive blink stalker play" but I don't think that's an actual issue. Just funny (maybe only to me though.. mapmaker humor :-\) so I thought I'd share.

Anyway, map is obviously improved. Good job. I'd hit it.

Thanks. Basically I've made both BW and SC2 maps and I always forget just how little space armies in SC2 take up lol. I'll consider taking out the watchtower, but I'll probably wait for a couple more people's opinions before I make changes like that.
vibeo gane,
Fatam
Profile Joined June 2012
1986 Posts
August 21 2012 07:45 GMT
#8
Makes sense. I don't know if you should or shouldn't take it out, I just think the map could "get away with it" so to speak.
A map like Daybreak probably couldn't.
Search "FTM" in SC2 | Latest Maps: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/sc2-maps/528528-2-ftm-siegfried-station http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/sc2-maps/525489-2-ftm-crimson-aftermath http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/sc2-maps/524737-2-ftm-grime
Duvon
Profile Joined October 2011
Sweden2360 Posts
August 22 2012 10:12 GMT
#9
Shrubbery!

Between the north and south middle mounds perhaps?
Nothing is impossible, only some things for some people.
Fatam
Profile Joined June 2012
1986 Posts
August 22 2012 12:50 GMT
#10
yeah the map could definitely use foliage or something
Search "FTM" in SC2 | Latest Maps: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/sc2-maps/528528-2-ftm-siegfried-station http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/sc2-maps/525489-2-ftm-crimson-aftermath http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/sc2-maps/524737-2-ftm-grime
Callynn
Profile Joined December 2010
Netherlands917 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-08-22 16:41:04
August 22 2012 16:36 GMT
#11
Very good rework!

I feel that the fourth base is a little too isolated, and perhaps a bit too easy to defend due to there being only one entrance with ramp. Perhaps the ramp should be split in two, each facing each player's starting base to make the base feel more like 'part of the map'. Otherwise, you could make this base an island by moving it further away and add a fourth somewhere else.

I also think that the middle misses something, it needs to be a bit bigger (for rush distance, but also to be more interesting). I was thinking there could probably be a ramp structure involved there, possibly along a single XWT.
Comparing BW with SCII is like comparing a beautiful three-master sailing ship with a modern battlecruiser. Both are beautiful in their own way, both perform the same task, but they are worlds apart in how they are built and how they are steered.
-NegativeZero-
Profile Joined August 2011
United States2142 Posts
August 22 2012 23:14 GMT
#12
My personal preference tends to be bases that are further away and easier to defend, more similar to BW maps. Ideally, the increased ease in defending compensates for the increased distance, since you can stall more easily while your army moves to defend, and the longer distance between bases gives the defender more time to prepare if they do lose a base, rather than the attacker just steamrolling through multiple bases in rapid succession. Also, the original map had a single ramp at the 4th, even if it was blocked by rocks...

The aesthetics aren't finished, I'm definitely going to add a lot more foliage when I'm done with the terrain.

Also, does anyone know how to copy doodads and terrain at the same time? I'm going to widen the middle horizontally by 8 squares, increasing the dimensions to 140x140, and I'd rather not manually adjust half the map's doodads back into place after moving the terrain over.
vibeo gane,
Inside.Out
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Canada569 Posts
August 22 2012 23:20 GMT
#13
my concerns would be that the natural isnt very friendly in design for protoss forge fast expand. the rush distances are short, but imo thats not a problem really as there should be some small rush distance maps. but when protoss doesnt have an easy way to wall off against early pools it kinda sucks for them.

and yes please add 2 more bases
EatThePath
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
United States3943 Posts
August 22 2012 23:25 GMT
#14
On August 23 2012 08:14 -NegativeZero- wrote:
My personal preference tends to be bases that are further away and easier to defend, more similar to BW maps. Ideally, the increased ease in defending compensates for the increased distance, since you can stall more easily while your army moves to defend, and the longer distance between bases gives the defender more time to prepare if they do lose a base, rather than the attacker just steamrolling through multiple bases in rapid succession. Also, the original map had a single ramp at the 4th, even if it was blocked by rocks...

The aesthetics aren't finished, I'm definitely going to add a lot more foliage when I'm done with the terrain.

Also, does anyone know how to copy doodads and terrain at the same time? I'm going to widen the middle horizontally by 8 squares, increasing the dimensions to 140x140, and I'd rather not manually adjust half the map's doodads back into place after moving the terrain over.

Your best option is to copy the doodads to another map, scoot your terrain, than copy them back. I like to pick a few key doodads to mark their position on the grid in relation to my cliffs n ramps, so I know that I've placed them symmetrically.
Comprehensive strategic intention: DNE
EatThePath
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
United States3943 Posts
August 22 2012 23:30 GMT
#15
On August 23 2012 08:20 EcstatiC wrote:
my concerns would be that the natural isnt very friendly in design for protoss forge fast expand. the rush distances are short, but imo thats not a problem really as there should be some small rush distance maps. but when protoss doesnt have an easy way to wall off against early pools it kinda sucks for them.

and yes please add 2 more bases

It looks like the choke is 3 buildings, maybe with a one square gap. The same as tal darim altar. Against an early pool you just cannon your main minerals. If you're talking about speedling aggression, you need a wall but that looks fine here, although this map looks a little like other where the ramp is in front of the natural, making a breakthrough-->runby easier and more dangerous.
Comprehensive strategic intention: DNE
-NegativeZero-
Profile Joined August 2011
United States2142 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-08-22 23:38:19
August 22 2012 23:32 GMT
#16
On August 23 2012 08:20 EcstatiC wrote:
my concerns would be that the natural isnt very friendly in design for protoss forge fast expand. the rush distances are short, but imo thats not a problem really as there should be some small rush distance maps. but when protoss doesnt have an easy way to wall off against early pools it kinda sucks for them.

and yes please add 2 more bases

It's possible to wall with 3 3x3 buildings at the nat like any normal map. Both a complete wall or a wall with a 1-square gap should be possible.

I think I'll try to add a couple 6m1hyg bases in the center after I enlarge the map, not sure where I'll put them yet though.

Edit: picture was wrong, doodads in the cliff are screwing up building placement, I need to make a couple adjustments.
vibeo gane,
-NegativeZero-
Profile Joined August 2011
United States2142 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-10-12 17:57:23
October 12 2012 17:53 GMT
#17
Finally got around to finishing this map after a couple months of occasionally working on it, OP has been completely updated. All posts before here refer to the "original (old) post" spoilered at the bottom of the OP.
vibeo gane,
moskonia
Profile Joined January 2011
Israel1448 Posts
October 12 2012 18:02 GMT
#18
It looks like you can have 3 bases too easily, I think you should widen the 3rd ramp to be at least 3 width or even 4, cause right now it is very very easy to secure 3 bases.
RyF
Profile Joined October 2011
Austria508 Posts
October 12 2012 18:07 GMT
#19
looks great imo!
PardonYou
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States1360 Posts
October 12 2012 18:44 GMT
#20
I like the idea of making old unbalanced maps balanced. How is the siege tank range for the natural?
1 2 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 9h 41m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 6
StarCraft: Brood War
Leta 462
Bale 27
Dota 2
monkeys_forever566
League of Legends
Doublelift4914
Other Games
summit1g10555
JimRising 475
ViBE247
KnowMe186
Livibee185
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick736
BasetradeTV157
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 127
• Adnapsc2 34
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Scarra1568
• Shiphtur601
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
9h 41m
Patches Events
14h 41m
BSL Open Qualifier
18h 41m
BSL Open Qualifier
18h 41m
OSC
22h 41m
OSC
1d 11h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.