• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 23:45
CEST 05:45
KST 12:45
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
Recent patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Rp8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7875 users

Leaving StarCraft (IdrA) - Page 42

Forum Index > SC2 General
849 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 40 41 42 43 Next All
igay
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
Australia1178 Posts
February 10 2014 08:22 GMT
#821
video's pretty cool
MVP <3 MKP <3 DRG <3
amd098
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Korea (North)1366 Posts
February 10 2014 08:34 GMT
#822
Wow. Talk about a showstopper.

When esports came up, IdrA was one of the first foreigners to go and try their hand at the foreign pro scene. Yes others might have done it, but IdrA was very successful in the BW era. He set the stage for other foreigners to compete with the Koreans. This was in BW. He's the one who really got up and inspired people to say, hey, you can do it too. This was a pioneer for esports. And even if you leave, you'll leave your legacy. To every single person who follows in your footsteps. You set the stage for them.

Good luck IdrA.
North Korea is best Korea!
SmoKim
Profile Joined March 2010
Denmark10305 Posts
February 10 2014 08:36 GMT
#823
On February 10 2014 16:42 Tchado wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 10 2014 16:37 knOxStarcraft wrote:
On February 10 2014 16:22 Tchado wrote:
On February 06 2014 10:08 BrieFanFiction wrote:
Well, I've posted this a couple times by now but I mean it when I say it. The post applies to you a great deal Greg. I actually wrote this some time ago. I still remember walking down from the third floor of my barracks and over to the PX to buy some Icehouse 5.5% and .59 cent "burritos" a couple hours before you played and rooting for you while I was drunker than shit. I miss those old Red and Blue MLG days... kind of. This was originally aimed at JP, thus the pro-"showbiz" ring to it. But Greg deserves "all the props" as well (seeing as he provided 2 years of great entertainment).

+ Show Spoiler +
I initially got into SC:BW in Iraq around February 2010. I had previously been a Warcraft 2 player and never got into BW. Anyway, my roommate had a copy of BW and let me install it, and soon enough I was addicted. I played that game so much that it became my escape from the shitty reality over there. I still remember pausing games and running out of my CHU to the bunkers because we were getting rocketed. Once I was assigned to the MEOC at FOB Echo to a joint operation between the 8th Iraqi Army and US. I played so much BW while guarding that satellite equipment (basically sitting right next to it making sure it didn't disappear) that the Iraqi General came up to me and (through his terp) told me it was his son's 5th birthday, and since I played "that game" so much it must be awesome and he would like me to make a copy for his son. I politely explained that BW wasn't suitable for a 5 year old, but my Sgt had an NES emulator with all the games and gave the kid that. At least he could have some kind of "childhood" as we say... Anyway, I was stoked that SC2 happened to be coming out in (August?) of 2010, and when it launched I bought it and played the shit out of it until I returned on 1 Oct, 2010.

All my good friends were stop-lossed in Iraq, meaning their initial active duty contracts were extended to force them to go to Iraq for another year. One month after I got back nearly my entire crew got out of the Army or were sent to other units, scattered to the four winds (the Army tried to get them out ASAP as they had already done their time +). I was on my own in the old barracks with tons of new guys, many of whom had never deployed before (I had deployed twice at that point) and they annoyed the shit out of me. Our barracks had no heating for some reason, and it was so cold that I bought a giant down comforter to keep myself warm. In fact, the thermostat in the room where we're supposed to be able to adjust the temperature had a giant spiderweb crack in it emanating out from a small point, where somebody had probably raged out and stabbed it. My new leadership had no idea how to handle our strange assignment (personal security detail for the Brigade Commander of ~4,000 soldiers) and put tons of pressure on me to show them what to do and make sure everything was perfect. My life was fucking terrible. Literally the night I got back to the states (1 Oct 2010) my friends picked me up and we went to buy some liquor. Jim Beam had some bullshit "Welcome Home" label on their shit so I bought it to support them supporting us and found that I liked it, probably too much. By the time I had been back for two months I would buy a handle on Monday which would be gone by Thursday. Friday, Saturday, and two out of three Sundays each got their own 1/5th a night followed by Hamburger Helper made on my hot plate (awww yeahhhh!) and a quart of water then bed. I would normally start drinking at around 6pm and finish at 2am, then wake up at 6am to do physical training.

It makes me sad to say this but during those shitty days SC2 was my only friend. I still remember the old MLG red and blue streams and all your SOTG shows, as well as ITG, Destiny starting up, and Idra in his prime. When MLGs were on I would wake up and buy a 30 rack of Icehouse and sync my maximum drunkenness to Idra's games, cheering for him like a drunk Spaniard at a soccer match. When he would get knocked out of a tournament I would be devastated. I still remember when MC came out and gave Idra the thumbs down then 4-0'd him. It may be irrational (as I'm no longer an Idra fan) but I've hated MC ever since. -- This was after you lost your passion

I was following the scene really hard by about March 2011 and watched Destiny/Idra/everything constantly. SOTG and ITG (which I think had just started) were the highlights of my week! I would make sure to have four beers in me before the show started and I would get progressively more wasted as it went along, cheering when you all made good points and feeling glad I wasn't the only one who was upset over this or that.

On my first deployment I arrested an Iraqi who had been a Colonel under Saddam and was still loyal to him. This Colonel had been the head of a major IED cell in Tikrit (Saddam's hometown). After the mission everyone said good job blah blah (he was a high value target) and life went on as normal. One week later the word came back that the Iraqi's had hung him. Even though it wasn't traumatic, the weight hit me like a ton of bricks.

One time I had a dream that I was standing in front of a giant 2D map of the earth that took up a whole wall. In the top center the year "1988" appeared (the year I was born) and in New York (where I grew up) there was a bright yellow dot that started to move around and left a yellow trail behind it wherever it went. At the same time there was a blue dot in Iraq doing the same thing. The years rotated further ahead as the lines squiggled. Squiggle squiggle the lines went around, me squiggling in NY for 18 years then ZOOM down to Georgia then ZOOM over to Washington State then ZOOM over to Iraq where the blue dot has been squiggling in the same little area for years. Then it zoomed in and my yellow dot and the blue dot were separated only by gridsquares (representing 1 click, 1000 meters, .6 miles) and the yellow dot went over to the blue dot, the two dots squiggled, and then the blue dot went a few grid squares away and slowly faded from baby-blue, the same color as it's trail, to a dark, burnt out navy blue. The dot stopped moving. When I woke up, in my mind I naturally completed the dream with the yellow dot flying back to the states and resuming it's squiggling.

My life is in order now (sober, hitting the gym, lots of new friends and in college with a 3.8 and plenty of money) and when I think back on those shitty times (mainly January 2011 - August 2011) when you guys were my only "friends", I realize how much I owe you. The entertainment that you guys provided really became my life. I would walk around for two weeks before an MLG or Dreamhack or whatever, so excited! I would draw out brackets and try to predict who would win. SC2 was just the only light in my life at that point. When you explained how you would wake up and feel the stress of having to organize the show, and think "fuckkk there's so much to do" and Day9 leaned toward you and agreed, it really hit me that you guys were carrying a lot of weight on your shoulders. I can picture you rolling over, getting out of bed, and proceeding to arrange the show with it's content and guests and hardware setup, and I feel deeply grateful that you saw it through and went on with the production. Remember that 11,000 people watched tonight's show. I promise you that at least one of them was sitting there in their room with their parents fighting in the kitchen, trying to block it out; or trying to forget about how their dog or cat has cancer and their parents don't have the $1600 to save it; about the conversation they just had with their parents where they were told "We just don't have the money to get you anything for your birthday" or just had with their girlfriend and "It's just not working out." Sometimes people need a couple hours away from it all, and that's what all of you give us day in and day out.

What I've learned throughout this whole thing is that entertainment is one of the most noble enterprises someone can go into. If you think about it, beer, Pepsi, football, music, movies, gaming, all of it falls under entertainment, and it all serves one primary purpose: To take our minds off our worries. For providing me with endless opportunities to do just that, I thank you and everyone else.

Thanks, and may your dots squiggle for the next eighty years!


You know this is the first time I actually wish Bw and sc2 never existed , anything that made your life easier over there is something I hope it never existed , apply that to all US troops in Iraq.

yeah I said it.

Lol someone's mad.


Shit happens

EDIT : GOM just posted this , great video




It's so funny (and so ironic) that every GOM's IdrA tributes always are super CHEESY love it!
"LOL I have 202 supply right now (3 minutes later)..."LOL NOW I HAVE 220 SUPPLY SUP?!?!?" - Mondragon
kiLen
Profile Joined April 2011
Finland97 Posts
February 10 2014 09:17 GMT
#824
I can't belive that you actually retired! I wish you the best of luck Greg! The starcraft scene will miss someone with the balls and personality like you had!
LotV HyPe
WolfintheSheep
Profile Joined June 2011
Canada14127 Posts
February 10 2014 09:26 GMT
#825
On February 10 2014 17:36 SmoKim wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 10 2014 16:42 Tchado wrote:
On February 10 2014 16:37 knOxStarcraft wrote:
On February 10 2014 16:22 Tchado wrote:
On February 06 2014 10:08 BrieFanFiction wrote:
Well, I've posted this a couple times by now but I mean it when I say it. The post applies to you a great deal Greg. I actually wrote this some time ago. I still remember walking down from the third floor of my barracks and over to the PX to buy some Icehouse 5.5% and .59 cent "burritos" a couple hours before you played and rooting for you while I was drunker than shit. I miss those old Red and Blue MLG days... kind of. This was originally aimed at JP, thus the pro-"showbiz" ring to it. But Greg deserves "all the props" as well (seeing as he provided 2 years of great entertainment).

+ Show Spoiler +
I initially got into SC:BW in Iraq around February 2010. I had previously been a Warcraft 2 player and never got into BW. Anyway, my roommate had a copy of BW and let me install it, and soon enough I was addicted. I played that game so much that it became my escape from the shitty reality over there. I still remember pausing games and running out of my CHU to the bunkers because we were getting rocketed. Once I was assigned to the MEOC at FOB Echo to a joint operation between the 8th Iraqi Army and US. I played so much BW while guarding that satellite equipment (basically sitting right next to it making sure it didn't disappear) that the Iraqi General came up to me and (through his terp) told me it was his son's 5th birthday, and since I played "that game" so much it must be awesome and he would like me to make a copy for his son. I politely explained that BW wasn't suitable for a 5 year old, but my Sgt had an NES emulator with all the games and gave the kid that. At least he could have some kind of "childhood" as we say... Anyway, I was stoked that SC2 happened to be coming out in (August?) of 2010, and when it launched I bought it and played the shit out of it until I returned on 1 Oct, 2010.

All my good friends were stop-lossed in Iraq, meaning their initial active duty contracts were extended to force them to go to Iraq for another year. One month after I got back nearly my entire crew got out of the Army or were sent to other units, scattered to the four winds (the Army tried to get them out ASAP as they had already done their time +). I was on my own in the old barracks with tons of new guys, many of whom had never deployed before (I had deployed twice at that point) and they annoyed the shit out of me. Our barracks had no heating for some reason, and it was so cold that I bought a giant down comforter to keep myself warm. In fact, the thermostat in the room where we're supposed to be able to adjust the temperature had a giant spiderweb crack in it emanating out from a small point, where somebody had probably raged out and stabbed it. My new leadership had no idea how to handle our strange assignment (personal security detail for the Brigade Commander of ~4,000 soldiers) and put tons of pressure on me to show them what to do and make sure everything was perfect. My life was fucking terrible. Literally the night I got back to the states (1 Oct 2010) my friends picked me up and we went to buy some liquor. Jim Beam had some bullshit "Welcome Home" label on their shit so I bought it to support them supporting us and found that I liked it, probably too much. By the time I had been back for two months I would buy a handle on Monday which would be gone by Thursday. Friday, Saturday, and two out of three Sundays each got their own 1/5th a night followed by Hamburger Helper made on my hot plate (awww yeahhhh!) and a quart of water then bed. I would normally start drinking at around 6pm and finish at 2am, then wake up at 6am to do physical training.

It makes me sad to say this but during those shitty days SC2 was my only friend. I still remember the old MLG red and blue streams and all your SOTG shows, as well as ITG, Destiny starting up, and Idra in his prime. When MLGs were on I would wake up and buy a 30 rack of Icehouse and sync my maximum drunkenness to Idra's games, cheering for him like a drunk Spaniard at a soccer match. When he would get knocked out of a tournament I would be devastated. I still remember when MC came out and gave Idra the thumbs down then 4-0'd him. It may be irrational (as I'm no longer an Idra fan) but I've hated MC ever since. -- This was after you lost your passion

I was following the scene really hard by about March 2011 and watched Destiny/Idra/everything constantly. SOTG and ITG (which I think had just started) were the highlights of my week! I would make sure to have four beers in me before the show started and I would get progressively more wasted as it went along, cheering when you all made good points and feeling glad I wasn't the only one who was upset over this or that.

On my first deployment I arrested an Iraqi who had been a Colonel under Saddam and was still loyal to him. This Colonel had been the head of a major IED cell in Tikrit (Saddam's hometown). After the mission everyone said good job blah blah (he was a high value target) and life went on as normal. One week later the word came back that the Iraqi's had hung him. Even though it wasn't traumatic, the weight hit me like a ton of bricks.

One time I had a dream that I was standing in front of a giant 2D map of the earth that took up a whole wall. In the top center the year "1988" appeared (the year I was born) and in New York (where I grew up) there was a bright yellow dot that started to move around and left a yellow trail behind it wherever it went. At the same time there was a blue dot in Iraq doing the same thing. The years rotated further ahead as the lines squiggled. Squiggle squiggle the lines went around, me squiggling in NY for 18 years then ZOOM down to Georgia then ZOOM over to Washington State then ZOOM over to Iraq where the blue dot has been squiggling in the same little area for years. Then it zoomed in and my yellow dot and the blue dot were separated only by gridsquares (representing 1 click, 1000 meters, .6 miles) and the yellow dot went over to the blue dot, the two dots squiggled, and then the blue dot went a few grid squares away and slowly faded from baby-blue, the same color as it's trail, to a dark, burnt out navy blue. The dot stopped moving. When I woke up, in my mind I naturally completed the dream with the yellow dot flying back to the states and resuming it's squiggling.

My life is in order now (sober, hitting the gym, lots of new friends and in college with a 3.8 and plenty of money) and when I think back on those shitty times (mainly January 2011 - August 2011) when you guys were my only "friends", I realize how much I owe you. The entertainment that you guys provided really became my life. I would walk around for two weeks before an MLG or Dreamhack or whatever, so excited! I would draw out brackets and try to predict who would win. SC2 was just the only light in my life at that point. When you explained how you would wake up and feel the stress of having to organize the show, and think "fuckkk there's so much to do" and Day9 leaned toward you and agreed, it really hit me that you guys were carrying a lot of weight on your shoulders. I can picture you rolling over, getting out of bed, and proceeding to arrange the show with it's content and guests and hardware setup, and I feel deeply grateful that you saw it through and went on with the production. Remember that 11,000 people watched tonight's show. I promise you that at least one of them was sitting there in their room with their parents fighting in the kitchen, trying to block it out; or trying to forget about how their dog or cat has cancer and their parents don't have the $1600 to save it; about the conversation they just had with their parents where they were told "We just don't have the money to get you anything for your birthday" or just had with their girlfriend and "It's just not working out." Sometimes people need a couple hours away from it all, and that's what all of you give us day in and day out.

What I've learned throughout this whole thing is that entertainment is one of the most noble enterprises someone can go into. If you think about it, beer, Pepsi, football, music, movies, gaming, all of it falls under entertainment, and it all serves one primary purpose: To take our minds off our worries. For providing me with endless opportunities to do just that, I thank you and everyone else.

Thanks, and may your dots squiggle for the next eighty years!


You know this is the first time I actually wish Bw and sc2 never existed , anything that made your life easier over there is something I hope it never existed , apply that to all US troops in Iraq.

yeah I said it.

Lol someone's mad.


Shit happens

EDIT : GOM just posted this , great video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmndYhq6kDw


It's so funny (and so ironic) that every GOM's IdrA tributes always are super CHEESY love it!


Apparently GOM killed him again xD.
Average means I'm better than half of you.
Romulox
Profile Joined October 2011
United States125 Posts
February 10 2014 09:33 GMT
#826
Bye IdrA and thank for all the entertainment and feels man. You really were one of the biggest reasons the sc2 scene took off internationally imo and you really brought tons of focus on to the game. I will always remember the GSL open seasons and the 2010 MLG's as some of my fondest memories in sc2 and you were a huge part of those as well. GGWP GL
SixStrings
Profile Blog Joined August 2013
Germany2046 Posts
February 10 2014 20:51 GMT
#827
On February 10 2014 18:26 WolfintheSheep wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 10 2014 17:36 SmoKim wrote:
On February 10 2014 16:42 Tchado wrote:
On February 10 2014 16:37 knOxStarcraft wrote:
On February 10 2014 16:22 Tchado wrote:
On February 06 2014 10:08 BrieFanFiction wrote:
Well, I've posted this a couple times by now but I mean it when I say it. The post applies to you a great deal Greg. I actually wrote this some time ago. I still remember walking down from the third floor of my barracks and over to the PX to buy some Icehouse 5.5% and .59 cent "burritos" a couple hours before you played and rooting for you while I was drunker than shit. I miss those old Red and Blue MLG days... kind of. This was originally aimed at JP, thus the pro-"showbiz" ring to it. But Greg deserves "all the props" as well (seeing as he provided 2 years of great entertainment).

+ Show Spoiler +
I initially got into SC:BW in Iraq around February 2010. I had previously been a Warcraft 2 player and never got into BW. Anyway, my roommate had a copy of BW and let me install it, and soon enough I was addicted. I played that game so much that it became my escape from the shitty reality over there. I still remember pausing games and running out of my CHU to the bunkers because we were getting rocketed. Once I was assigned to the MEOC at FOB Echo to a joint operation between the 8th Iraqi Army and US. I played so much BW while guarding that satellite equipment (basically sitting right next to it making sure it didn't disappear) that the Iraqi General came up to me and (through his terp) told me it was his son's 5th birthday, and since I played "that game" so much it must be awesome and he would like me to make a copy for his son. I politely explained that BW wasn't suitable for a 5 year old, but my Sgt had an NES emulator with all the games and gave the kid that. At least he could have some kind of "childhood" as we say... Anyway, I was stoked that SC2 happened to be coming out in (August?) of 2010, and when it launched I bought it and played the shit out of it until I returned on 1 Oct, 2010.

All my good friends were stop-lossed in Iraq, meaning their initial active duty contracts were extended to force them to go to Iraq for another year. One month after I got back nearly my entire crew got out of the Army or were sent to other units, scattered to the four winds (the Army tried to get them out ASAP as they had already done their time +). I was on my own in the old barracks with tons of new guys, many of whom had never deployed before (I had deployed twice at that point) and they annoyed the shit out of me. Our barracks had no heating for some reason, and it was so cold that I bought a giant down comforter to keep myself warm. In fact, the thermostat in the room where we're supposed to be able to adjust the temperature had a giant spiderweb crack in it emanating out from a small point, where somebody had probably raged out and stabbed it. My new leadership had no idea how to handle our strange assignment (personal security detail for the Brigade Commander of ~4,000 soldiers) and put tons of pressure on me to show them what to do and make sure everything was perfect. My life was fucking terrible. Literally the night I got back to the states (1 Oct 2010) my friends picked me up and we went to buy some liquor. Jim Beam had some bullshit "Welcome Home" label on their shit so I bought it to support them supporting us and found that I liked it, probably too much. By the time I had been back for two months I would buy a handle on Monday which would be gone by Thursday. Friday, Saturday, and two out of three Sundays each got their own 1/5th a night followed by Hamburger Helper made on my hot plate (awww yeahhhh!) and a quart of water then bed. I would normally start drinking at around 6pm and finish at 2am, then wake up at 6am to do physical training.

It makes me sad to say this but during those shitty days SC2 was my only friend. I still remember the old MLG red and blue streams and all your SOTG shows, as well as ITG, Destiny starting up, and Idra in his prime. When MLGs were on I would wake up and buy a 30 rack of Icehouse and sync my maximum drunkenness to Idra's games, cheering for him like a drunk Spaniard at a soccer match. When he would get knocked out of a tournament I would be devastated. I still remember when MC came out and gave Idra the thumbs down then 4-0'd him. It may be irrational (as I'm no longer an Idra fan) but I've hated MC ever since. -- This was after you lost your passion

I was following the scene really hard by about March 2011 and watched Destiny/Idra/everything constantly. SOTG and ITG (which I think had just started) were the highlights of my week! I would make sure to have four beers in me before the show started and I would get progressively more wasted as it went along, cheering when you all made good points and feeling glad I wasn't the only one who was upset over this or that.

On my first deployment I arrested an Iraqi who had been a Colonel under Saddam and was still loyal to him. This Colonel had been the head of a major IED cell in Tikrit (Saddam's hometown). After the mission everyone said good job blah blah (he was a high value target) and life went on as normal. One week later the word came back that the Iraqi's had hung him. Even though it wasn't traumatic, the weight hit me like a ton of bricks.

One time I had a dream that I was standing in front of a giant 2D map of the earth that took up a whole wall. In the top center the year "1988" appeared (the year I was born) and in New York (where I grew up) there was a bright yellow dot that started to move around and left a yellow trail behind it wherever it went. At the same time there was a blue dot in Iraq doing the same thing. The years rotated further ahead as the lines squiggled. Squiggle squiggle the lines went around, me squiggling in NY for 18 years then ZOOM down to Georgia then ZOOM over to Washington State then ZOOM over to Iraq where the blue dot has been squiggling in the same little area for years. Then it zoomed in and my yellow dot and the blue dot were separated only by gridsquares (representing 1 click, 1000 meters, .6 miles) and the yellow dot went over to the blue dot, the two dots squiggled, and then the blue dot went a few grid squares away and slowly faded from baby-blue, the same color as it's trail, to a dark, burnt out navy blue. The dot stopped moving. When I woke up, in my mind I naturally completed the dream with the yellow dot flying back to the states and resuming it's squiggling.

My life is in order now (sober, hitting the gym, lots of new friends and in college with a 3.8 and plenty of money) and when I think back on those shitty times (mainly January 2011 - August 2011) when you guys were my only "friends", I realize how much I owe you. The entertainment that you guys provided really became my life. I would walk around for two weeks before an MLG or Dreamhack or whatever, so excited! I would draw out brackets and try to predict who would win. SC2 was just the only light in my life at that point. When you explained how you would wake up and feel the stress of having to organize the show, and think "fuckkk there's so much to do" and Day9 leaned toward you and agreed, it really hit me that you guys were carrying a lot of weight on your shoulders. I can picture you rolling over, getting out of bed, and proceeding to arrange the show with it's content and guests and hardware setup, and I feel deeply grateful that you saw it through and went on with the production. Remember that 11,000 people watched tonight's show. I promise you that at least one of them was sitting there in their room with their parents fighting in the kitchen, trying to block it out; or trying to forget about how their dog or cat has cancer and their parents don't have the $1600 to save it; about the conversation they just had with their parents where they were told "We just don't have the money to get you anything for your birthday" or just had with their girlfriend and "It's just not working out." Sometimes people need a couple hours away from it all, and that's what all of you give us day in and day out.

What I've learned throughout this whole thing is that entertainment is one of the most noble enterprises someone can go into. If you think about it, beer, Pepsi, football, music, movies, gaming, all of it falls under entertainment, and it all serves one primary purpose: To take our minds off our worries. For providing me with endless opportunities to do just that, I thank you and everyone else.

Thanks, and may your dots squiggle for the next eighty years!


You know this is the first time I actually wish Bw and sc2 never existed , anything that made your life easier over there is something I hope it never existed , apply that to all US troops in Iraq.

yeah I said it.

Lol someone's mad.


Shit happens

EDIT : GOM just posted this , great video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmndYhq6kDw


It's so funny (and so ironic) that every GOM's IdrA tributes always are super CHEESY love it!


Apparently GOM killed him again xD.


Haha, so accurate. The first tribute actually made me think he literally died.
DrizzyRNS
Profile Joined February 2011
United States30 Posts
February 12 2014 18:01 GMT
#828
This makes me really sad, I remember when SC2 first came out all I followed was Idra. Even during the ol' brood war days, hes an icon in the SC community and will be missed. What a legend.

ALL HAIL THE GRACKEN!
Its Gucci Time!!
KookyMonster
Profile Joined January 2012
United States311 Posts
February 13 2014 02:36 GMT
#829
Best of luck in school, always enjoyed watching you play. Thanks for being a great entertainer!
Paper is Imba. Scissors is fine. -Rock
tokinho
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States792 Posts
February 15 2014 08:47 GMT
#830
Community feels a bit more empty without Idra and Jinro
Smile
ratty
Profile Joined July 2011
New Zealand275 Posts
February 15 2014 08:57 GMT
#831
never really followed you but this still kinda sad. u were a great and thats what ill remeber. GL
no. monkeys land on their feet, they're like masturbating cats ~ #~hyvaa~#~
kusto
Profile Joined November 2010
Russian Federation823 Posts
February 15 2014 09:05 GMT
#832
Idra was always an inspiration to me:
I've learnt to never give up, never surrender. And not to blame circumstances or the race, but take responsibility like a man without making petty excuses.
On a serious note: If you had gamesense, or any inkling of it, you would have known these Void Rays were hallucinated.

I guess you will be struggling in a non-perfect, imbalanced world with your attitude, but maybe you will learn.
the game is the game
Heat_023
Profile Joined June 2010
Canada160 Posts
February 15 2014 09:10 GMT
#833
On February 15 2014 18:05 kusto wrote:
Idra was always an inspiration to me:
I've learnt to never give up, never surrender. And not to blame circumstances or the race, but take responsibility like a man without making petty excuses.
On a serious note: If you had gamesense, or any inkling of it, you would have known these Void Rays were hallucinated.

I guess you will be struggling in a non-perfect, imbalanced world with your attitude, but maybe you will learn.

What the hell ?
twitch.tv/heat023
SomethingWitty
Profile Joined May 2013
Canada94 Posts
February 15 2014 09:19 GMT
#834
On February 15 2014 18:05 kusto wrote:
Idra was always an inspiration to me:
I've learnt to never give up, never surrender. And not to blame circumstances or the race, but take responsibility like a man without making petty excuses.
On a serious note: If you had gamesense, or any inkling of it, you would have known these Void Rays were hallucinated.

I guess you will be struggling in a non-perfect, imbalanced world with your attitude, but maybe you will learn.


Thanks for lecturing pro players on game sense friend. You know, it's a wonder that with people like you pro players don't absolutely love social media.
"A man of genius makes no mistakes; his errors are volitional and are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce, Ulysses
LemOn
Profile Blog Joined July 2005
United Kingdom8629 Posts
February 15 2014 15:23 GMT
#835
i thought he quit ages ago? :O
Anyway, gl in poker.
Much is the father figure that I miss in my life. Go Daddy! DoC.LemOn, LemOn[5thF]
The_Templar
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
your Country52798 Posts
February 15 2014 15:38 GMT
#836
On February 16 2014 00:23 LemOn wrote:
i thought he quit ages ago? :O
Anyway, gl in poker.

he quit professionally 9ish months ago, yes, but he was still streaming regularly until recently
ModeratorI am still alive, somehow
TL+ Member
nrv
Profile Joined April 2011
United States113 Posts
February 15 2014 16:10 GMT
#837
Good luck man, you're the entire reason I ever got into SC2.
yes
Shield
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Bulgaria4824 Posts
February 15 2014 16:14 GMT
#838
On February 15 2014 18:10 Heat_023 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 15 2014 18:05 kusto wrote:
Idra was always an inspiration to me:
I've learnt to never give up, never surrender. And not to blame circumstances or the race, but take responsibility like a man without making petty excuses.
On a serious note: If you had gamesense, or any inkling of it, you would have known these Void Rays were hallucinated.

I guess you will be struggling in a non-perfect, imbalanced world with your attitude, but maybe you will learn.

What the hell ?


I agree with the ironic part of that post. However, I don't agree with game sense about void rays. Besides, it's easy not to pay enough attention or just feel bad that day. There are so many factors that may affect your game. It's one game after all.
Strela
Profile Joined October 2011
Netherlands1896 Posts
February 20 2014 02:25 GMT
#839
The right decision, gl in life idra
Warzilla
Profile Joined December 2010
Czech Republic311 Posts
February 20 2014 02:43 GMT
#840
And here it goes :-D Even though i play protoss (:D), i had always enjoyed watching him play + i learned a ton of stuff about game analysis from him... Blizzard scored another one...
"AFTER LOST GAME - I usually run around in circles yelling "WHY OH GOD WHY" in my room, pointing towards the sky. After 5 to 10min ,i get tired and go back to playing"
Prev 1 40 41 42 43 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 6h 15m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SortOf 1
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2411
Shinee 39
NotJumperer 16
Noble 13
Dota 2
monkeys_forever1011
NeuroSwarm199
Heroes of the Storm
WinterStarcraft411
Other Games
summit1g7349
Coldzera 763
JimRising 677
C9.Mang0393
PiGStarcraft261
ArmadaUGS29
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1037
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream385
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo985
• Rush792
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6h 15m
Afreeca Starleague
6h 15m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
20h 15m
Kung Fu Cup
1d 7h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.