• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:24
CEST 22:24
KST 05:24
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck?
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8038 users

Interview of David Kim about Balance in IEM - Page 21

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 19 20 21 22 23 30 Next All
forsooth
Profile Joined February 2011
United States3648 Posts
July 28 2013 02:11 GMT
#401
On July 28 2013 11:09 Wombat_NI wrote:
Also I do apologise for my seemingly unrelenting negativity, Protoss do have the occasional entertaining game for sure, they aren't beyond hope.

I think the most fun era of Protoss was early-mid 2011 when 2 base was the name of the game. MC was always rolling out new builds with ridiculous micro.
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27463 Posts
July 28 2013 02:14 GMT
#402
On July 28 2013 11:11 forsooth wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 28 2013 11:09 Wombat_NI wrote:
Also I do apologise for my seemingly unrelenting negativity, Protoss do have the occasional entertaining game for sure, they aren't beyond hope.

I think the most fun era of Protoss was early-mid 2011 when 2 base was the name of the game. MC was always rolling out new builds with ridiculous micro.

Nono, it was when HerO and JYP were warp prisming them Zergs to death, and when Parting was debuting that Templar everywhere style.

Protoss have a lot of skillful finesse units like Templars, Phoenixes, Stalkers (and indeed the problematic sentry), but things like Collosus and Voids really prevent seeing 'entertaining' play. I loved HerO vs Jaedong g1 especially at the recent IEM, a lot of skirmishes and excellent micro and multitasking on display.
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
::Rhapsody
Profile Blog Joined February 2013
Canada124 Posts
July 28 2013 02:18 GMT
#403
On July 28 2013 11:10 Plansix wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 28 2013 11:07 ::Rhapsody wrote:
On July 28 2013 11:02 Plansix wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:59 Wombat_NI wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:54 Plansix wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:51 Wombat_NI wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:48 Plansix wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:43 ::Rhapsody wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:39 Plansix wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:34 ::Rhapsody wrote:
[quote]

I don't know what you're saying. Explain.

Sorry, punish a 1 fax fe with just two gates. It's not an option.



I still don't know what you're talking about.
What I said is: Nathanias said something about it being bullshit that Terran cannot punish Protoss with a 2 Rax, not the other way around. You might have misread.

Sorry, typing on a Ipad. Its not like a protoss could punish a 1 rax FE with 2 gates anyways. The era of building a bunch of marines off of 300 minerals worth of production and walking them across the map to do damage to a protoss fast expand is over. The builds are slightly more complicated that than now.

There was actually some subtlety in such moveouts, occasionally you would see seemingly random hitsquads of marines take really weird routes and hit the Protoss at specific timings, solely with the aim of say, sniping sentries. That mineral-only investment would then force the Protoss player to have to make a calculated decision, replace those lost sentries and sink that gas to be more defensively solid, or cut that defensive corner to push up the tech tree?


The problem I had with that was the terran never had to spend any gas to get this stuff, except maybe on reactors. They would just march their marine hit squad across the map and the protoss would pray they had enough FF to hold out until the production kicked in. And the terran could do this off of no gas and the back of a bunch of mules. I like the new era where the marine is useful, but not the snowball unit of choice for the early game.

I'm not talking about any kind of kill-move, but really specific timings that are designed to punish certain builds. The old WoL CreatorPrime PvT stuck rigidly to 4 sentries as the best balance between defensive solidity, and achieving the tech goals of the overall build schematic. You would see smart players adjusting to target that specific element of the build, which I quite enjoyed seeing.

You could also deny such moveouts with good stalker positioning, and small scale stalker vs naked marine micro battles were some of my favourite aspects of the PvT of old.

The problem I had with that was it was one way. The terran could 1 rax FE back in WoL and there was shit all a protoss could do about it without all inning or dumping a shit ton of gas. But the terran could just build 2 raxes, not take any gasses and march across the map and try to do some damage. Maybe he wouldn't or maybe the protoss would fuck up, their timing would be off and it was game over.

I like this new era where the terran has to invest in some sort of gas, rather than just living off of mules until its time to get upgrades.



But you see.. say I go 1rax reaper fe. Get 1-4 probe kills (usually), or not any. Then I'm forced to either go for another reaper, go for fact. or go for reactor, or go for reactor @50gas and stop mining gas. Then, if the protoss scouts that I'm making a reaper, a stargate follow up is incredibly dangerous for the terran, or if he scouts that I'm going reactor, he can play safely. Terran has to put a bit off pressure simply because of game design.

It's slightly easier to get the terran offguard than cornering the protoss offguard simply because of aoe, and such.
I know this comes all in all into skill level, but it's mostly the Protoss' army design that is so flawed.
Costly units, they don't scale well, colossus is really strong, stalker is super strong early game, and sucks late game.
Protoss units don't have any consistency.

Why are you trying for probe kills with your reaper? You should be using it for scouting and maybe light harassment, rather than trying to get a lead that early. I don't know why you think you should be able to do tons of damage by building a single unit and moving it across map.


The probe kills are for a replacement of what Terran early game harass used to be, scouting #1 priority, the probe kills are an extra, it delays low apm Protoss players. What I'm saying is that it's the only thing to really do damage, are you saying I should just 1 rax FE?

Situation: You are terran, you go 1 rax fe, scout 2 gas. 3 pylons in base. What's coming? Blink? Sentry expo? 4 Gate? Stargate? DTs!? Now here is the scarier part, you scout 2 pylons.
That's why I go reaper.

Sated
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
England4983 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-07-28 02:21:10
July 28 2013 02:20 GMT
#404
--- Nuked ---
::Rhapsody
Profile Blog Joined February 2013
Canada124 Posts
July 28 2013 02:21 GMT
#405
On July 28 2013 11:20 Sated wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 28 2013 11:18 ::Rhapsody wrote:
On July 28 2013 11:10 Plansix wrote:
On July 28 2013 11:07 ::Rhapsody wrote:
On July 28 2013 11:02 Plansix wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:59 Wombat_NI wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:54 Plansix wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:51 Wombat_NI wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:48 Plansix wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:43 ::Rhapsody wrote:
[quote]


I still don't know what you're talking about.
What I said is: Nathanias said something about it being bullshit that Terran cannot punish Protoss with a 2 Rax, not the other way around. You might have misread.

Sorry, typing on a Ipad. Its not like a protoss could punish a 1 rax FE with 2 gates anyways. The era of building a bunch of marines off of 300 minerals worth of production and walking them across the map to do damage to a protoss fast expand is over. The builds are slightly more complicated that than now.

There was actually some subtlety in such moveouts, occasionally you would see seemingly random hitsquads of marines take really weird routes and hit the Protoss at specific timings, solely with the aim of say, sniping sentries. That mineral-only investment would then force the Protoss player to have to make a calculated decision, replace those lost sentries and sink that gas to be more defensively solid, or cut that defensive corner to push up the tech tree?


The problem I had with that was the terran never had to spend any gas to get this stuff, except maybe on reactors. They would just march their marine hit squad across the map and the protoss would pray they had enough FF to hold out until the production kicked in. And the terran could do this off of no gas and the back of a bunch of mules. I like the new era where the marine is useful, but not the snowball unit of choice for the early game.

I'm not talking about any kind of kill-move, but really specific timings that are designed to punish certain builds. The old WoL CreatorPrime PvT stuck rigidly to 4 sentries as the best balance between defensive solidity, and achieving the tech goals of the overall build schematic. You would see smart players adjusting to target that specific element of the build, which I quite enjoyed seeing.

You could also deny such moveouts with good stalker positioning, and small scale stalker vs naked marine micro battles were some of my favourite aspects of the PvT of old.

The problem I had with that was it was one way. The terran could 1 rax FE back in WoL and there was shit all a protoss could do about it without all inning or dumping a shit ton of gas. But the terran could just build 2 raxes, not take any gasses and march across the map and try to do some damage. Maybe he wouldn't or maybe the protoss would fuck up, their timing would be off and it was game over.

I like this new era where the terran has to invest in some sort of gas, rather than just living off of mules until its time to get upgrades.



But you see.. say I go 1rax reaper fe. Get 1-4 probe kills (usually), or not any. Then I'm forced to either go for another reaper, go for fact. or go for reactor, or go for reactor @50gas and stop mining gas. Then, if the protoss scouts that I'm making a reaper, a stargate follow up is incredibly dangerous for the terran, or if he scouts that I'm going reactor, he can play safely. Terran has to put a bit off pressure simply because of game design.

It's slightly easier to get the terran offguard than cornering the protoss offguard simply because of aoe, and such.
I know this comes all in all into skill level, but it's mostly the Protoss' army design that is so flawed.
Costly units, they don't scale well, colossus is really strong, stalker is super strong early game, and sucks late game.
Protoss units don't have any consistency.

Why are you trying for probe kills with your reaper? You should be using it for scouting and maybe light harassment, rather than trying to get a lead that early. I don't know why you think you should be able to do tons of damage by building a single unit and moving it across map.


The probe kills are for a replacement of what Terran early game harass used to be, scouting #1 priority, the probe kills are an extra, it delays low apm Protoss players. What I'm saying is that it's the only thing to really do damage, are you saying I should just 1 rax FE?

Situation: You are terran, you go 1 rax fe, scout 2 gas. 3 pylons in base. What's coming? Blink? Sentry expo? 4 Gate? Stargate? DTs!? Now here is the scarier part, you scout 2 pylons.
That's why I go reaper.


All Protoss one base all-ins can be defended by lifting your expansion and defending from one base. You don't need to scout gas, nor Pylons, you only need to know whether or not there is an expansion by 6:00.



ALL Protoss all ins? Are you saying I should never scout? only check if there's an expansion?
Ok. Tell me what I should do if I see no expo at 6:00. What to expect.
::Rhapsody
Profile Blog Joined February 2013
Canada124 Posts
July 28 2013 02:23 GMT
#406
On July 28 2013 11:20 Sated wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 28 2013 11:18 ::Rhapsody wrote:
On July 28 2013 11:10 Plansix wrote:
On July 28 2013 11:07 ::Rhapsody wrote:
On July 28 2013 11:02 Plansix wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:59 Wombat_NI wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:54 Plansix wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:51 Wombat_NI wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:48 Plansix wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:43 ::Rhapsody wrote:
[quote]


I still don't know what you're talking about.
What I said is: Nathanias said something about it being bullshit that Terran cannot punish Protoss with a 2 Rax, not the other way around. You might have misread.

Sorry, typing on a Ipad. Its not like a protoss could punish a 1 rax FE with 2 gates anyways. The era of building a bunch of marines off of 300 minerals worth of production and walking them across the map to do damage to a protoss fast expand is over. The builds are slightly more complicated that than now.

There was actually some subtlety in such moveouts, occasionally you would see seemingly random hitsquads of marines take really weird routes and hit the Protoss at specific timings, solely with the aim of say, sniping sentries. That mineral-only investment would then force the Protoss player to have to make a calculated decision, replace those lost sentries and sink that gas to be more defensively solid, or cut that defensive corner to push up the tech tree?


The problem I had with that was the terran never had to spend any gas to get this stuff, except maybe on reactors. They would just march their marine hit squad across the map and the protoss would pray they had enough FF to hold out until the production kicked in. And the terran could do this off of no gas and the back of a bunch of mules. I like the new era where the marine is useful, but not the snowball unit of choice for the early game.

I'm not talking about any kind of kill-move, but really specific timings that are designed to punish certain builds. The old WoL CreatorPrime PvT stuck rigidly to 4 sentries as the best balance between defensive solidity, and achieving the tech goals of the overall build schematic. You would see smart players adjusting to target that specific element of the build, which I quite enjoyed seeing.

You could also deny such moveouts with good stalker positioning, and small scale stalker vs naked marine micro battles were some of my favourite aspects of the PvT of old.

The problem I had with that was it was one way. The terran could 1 rax FE back in WoL and there was shit all a protoss could do about it without all inning or dumping a shit ton of gas. But the terran could just build 2 raxes, not take any gasses and march across the map and try to do some damage. Maybe he wouldn't or maybe the protoss would fuck up, their timing would be off and it was game over.

I like this new era where the terran has to invest in some sort of gas, rather than just living off of mules until its time to get upgrades.



But you see.. say I go 1rax reaper fe. Get 1-4 probe kills (usually), or not any. Then I'm forced to either go for another reaper, go for fact. or go for reactor, or go for reactor @50gas and stop mining gas. Then, if the protoss scouts that I'm making a reaper, a stargate follow up is incredibly dangerous for the terran, or if he scouts that I'm going reactor, he can play safely. Terran has to put a bit off pressure simply because of game design.

It's slightly easier to get the terran offguard than cornering the protoss offguard simply because of aoe, and such.
I know this comes all in all into skill level, but it's mostly the Protoss' army design that is so flawed.
Costly units, they don't scale well, colossus is really strong, stalker is super strong early game, and sucks late game.
Protoss units don't have any consistency.

Why are you trying for probe kills with your reaper? You should be using it for scouting and maybe light harassment, rather than trying to get a lead that early. I don't know why you think you should be able to do tons of damage by building a single unit and moving it across map.


The probe kills are for a replacement of what Terran early game harass used to be, scouting #1 priority, the probe kills are an extra, it delays low apm Protoss players. What I'm saying is that it's the only thing to really do damage, are you saying I should just 1 rax FE?

Situation: You are terran, you go 1 rax fe, scout 2 gas. 3 pylons in base. What's coming? Blink? Sentry expo? 4 Gate? Stargate? DTs!? Now here is the scarier part, you scout 2 pylons.
That's why I go reaper.


All Protoss one base all-ins can be defended by lifting your expansion and defending from one base. You don't need to scout gas, nor Pylons, you only need to know whether or not there is an expansion by 6:00.

EDIT:

Also, Terran can open 111 into expand and still be equal on economy with a 20 Nexus Protoss because of MULEs. You don't need to do damage.


Bullshit.
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
July 28 2013 02:28 GMT
#407
On July 28 2013 11:18 ::Rhapsody wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 28 2013 11:10 Plansix wrote:
On July 28 2013 11:07 ::Rhapsody wrote:
On July 28 2013 11:02 Plansix wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:59 Wombat_NI wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:54 Plansix wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:51 Wombat_NI wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:48 Plansix wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:43 ::Rhapsody wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:39 Plansix wrote:
[quote]
Sorry, punish a 1 fax fe with just two gates. It's not an option.



I still don't know what you're talking about.
What I said is: Nathanias said something about it being bullshit that Terran cannot punish Protoss with a 2 Rax, not the other way around. You might have misread.

Sorry, typing on a Ipad. Its not like a protoss could punish a 1 rax FE with 2 gates anyways. The era of building a bunch of marines off of 300 minerals worth of production and walking them across the map to do damage to a protoss fast expand is over. The builds are slightly more complicated that than now.

There was actually some subtlety in such moveouts, occasionally you would see seemingly random hitsquads of marines take really weird routes and hit the Protoss at specific timings, solely with the aim of say, sniping sentries. That mineral-only investment would then force the Protoss player to have to make a calculated decision, replace those lost sentries and sink that gas to be more defensively solid, or cut that defensive corner to push up the tech tree?


The problem I had with that was the terran never had to spend any gas to get this stuff, except maybe on reactors. They would just march their marine hit squad across the map and the protoss would pray they had enough FF to hold out until the production kicked in. And the terran could do this off of no gas and the back of a bunch of mules. I like the new era where the marine is useful, but not the snowball unit of choice for the early game.

I'm not talking about any kind of kill-move, but really specific timings that are designed to punish certain builds. The old WoL CreatorPrime PvT stuck rigidly to 4 sentries as the best balance between defensive solidity, and achieving the tech goals of the overall build schematic. You would see smart players adjusting to target that specific element of the build, which I quite enjoyed seeing.

You could also deny such moveouts with good stalker positioning, and small scale stalker vs naked marine micro battles were some of my favourite aspects of the PvT of old.

The problem I had with that was it was one way. The terran could 1 rax FE back in WoL and there was shit all a protoss could do about it without all inning or dumping a shit ton of gas. But the terran could just build 2 raxes, not take any gasses and march across the map and try to do some damage. Maybe he wouldn't or maybe the protoss would fuck up, their timing would be off and it was game over.

I like this new era where the terran has to invest in some sort of gas, rather than just living off of mules until its time to get upgrades.



But you see.. say I go 1rax reaper fe. Get 1-4 probe kills (usually), or not any. Then I'm forced to either go for another reaper, go for fact. or go for reactor, or go for reactor @50gas and stop mining gas. Then, if the protoss scouts that I'm making a reaper, a stargate follow up is incredibly dangerous for the terran, or if he scouts that I'm going reactor, he can play safely. Terran has to put a bit off pressure simply because of game design.

It's slightly easier to get the terran offguard than cornering the protoss offguard simply because of aoe, and such.
I know this comes all in all into skill level, but it's mostly the Protoss' army design that is so flawed.
Costly units, they don't scale well, colossus is really strong, stalker is super strong early game, and sucks late game.
Protoss units don't have any consistency.

Why are you trying for probe kills with your reaper? You should be using it for scouting and maybe light harassment, rather than trying to get a lead that early. I don't know why you think you should be able to do tons of damage by building a single unit and moving it across map.


The probe kills are for a replacement of what Terran early game harass used to be, scouting #1 priority, the probe kills are an extra, it delays low apm Protoss players. What I'm saying is that it's the only thing to really do damage, are you saying I should just 1 rax FE?

Situation: You are terran, you go 1 rax fe, scout 2 gas. 3 pylons in base. What's coming? Blink? Sentry expo? 4 Gate? Stargate? DTs!? Now here is the scarier part, you scout 2 pylons.
That's why I go reaper.


I don't understand what you are trying to say any more. Reaper openings are fine and get good information, just like stalker openings are good for protoss, but cost more.

Its clear that you have issues with TvP. Rather than complaining, go watch Demuslim beat Huk and Crank from earlier this week and try to figure out how he did it, then try to adjust your play.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
::Rhapsody
Profile Blog Joined February 2013
Canada124 Posts
July 28 2013 02:30 GMT
#408
On July 28 2013 11:28 Plansix wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 28 2013 11:18 ::Rhapsody wrote:
On July 28 2013 11:10 Plansix wrote:
On July 28 2013 11:07 ::Rhapsody wrote:
On July 28 2013 11:02 Plansix wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:59 Wombat_NI wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:54 Plansix wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:51 Wombat_NI wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:48 Plansix wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:43 ::Rhapsody wrote:
[quote]


I still don't know what you're talking about.
What I said is: Nathanias said something about it being bullshit that Terran cannot punish Protoss with a 2 Rax, not the other way around. You might have misread.

Sorry, typing on a Ipad. Its not like a protoss could punish a 1 rax FE with 2 gates anyways. The era of building a bunch of marines off of 300 minerals worth of production and walking them across the map to do damage to a protoss fast expand is over. The builds are slightly more complicated that than now.

There was actually some subtlety in such moveouts, occasionally you would see seemingly random hitsquads of marines take really weird routes and hit the Protoss at specific timings, solely with the aim of say, sniping sentries. That mineral-only investment would then force the Protoss player to have to make a calculated decision, replace those lost sentries and sink that gas to be more defensively solid, or cut that defensive corner to push up the tech tree?


The problem I had with that was the terran never had to spend any gas to get this stuff, except maybe on reactors. They would just march their marine hit squad across the map and the protoss would pray they had enough FF to hold out until the production kicked in. And the terran could do this off of no gas and the back of a bunch of mules. I like the new era where the marine is useful, but not the snowball unit of choice for the early game.

I'm not talking about any kind of kill-move, but really specific timings that are designed to punish certain builds. The old WoL CreatorPrime PvT stuck rigidly to 4 sentries as the best balance between defensive solidity, and achieving the tech goals of the overall build schematic. You would see smart players adjusting to target that specific element of the build, which I quite enjoyed seeing.

You could also deny such moveouts with good stalker positioning, and small scale stalker vs naked marine micro battles were some of my favourite aspects of the PvT of old.

The problem I had with that was it was one way. The terran could 1 rax FE back in WoL and there was shit all a protoss could do about it without all inning or dumping a shit ton of gas. But the terran could just build 2 raxes, not take any gasses and march across the map and try to do some damage. Maybe he wouldn't or maybe the protoss would fuck up, their timing would be off and it was game over.

I like this new era where the terran has to invest in some sort of gas, rather than just living off of mules until its time to get upgrades.



But you see.. say I go 1rax reaper fe. Get 1-4 probe kills (usually), or not any. Then I'm forced to either go for another reaper, go for fact. or go for reactor, or go for reactor @50gas and stop mining gas. Then, if the protoss scouts that I'm making a reaper, a stargate follow up is incredibly dangerous for the terran, or if he scouts that I'm going reactor, he can play safely. Terran has to put a bit off pressure simply because of game design.

It's slightly easier to get the terran offguard than cornering the protoss offguard simply because of aoe, and such.
I know this comes all in all into skill level, but it's mostly the Protoss' army design that is so flawed.
Costly units, they don't scale well, colossus is really strong, stalker is super strong early game, and sucks late game.
Protoss units don't have any consistency.

Why are you trying for probe kills with your reaper? You should be using it for scouting and maybe light harassment, rather than trying to get a lead that early. I don't know why you think you should be able to do tons of damage by building a single unit and moving it across map.


The probe kills are for a replacement of what Terran early game harass used to be, scouting #1 priority, the probe kills are an extra, it delays low apm Protoss players. What I'm saying is that it's the only thing to really do damage, are you saying I should just 1 rax FE?

Situation: You are terran, you go 1 rax fe, scout 2 gas. 3 pylons in base. What's coming? Blink? Sentry expo? 4 Gate? Stargate? DTs!? Now here is the scarier part, you scout 2 pylons.
That's why I go reaper.


I don't understand what you are trying to say any more. Reaper openings are fine and get good information, just like stalker openings are good for protoss, but cost more.

Its clear that you have issues with TvP. Rather than complaining, go watch Demuslim beat Huk and Crank from earlier this week and try to figure out how he did it, then try to adjust your play.


We were talking about Balance and David Kim, can you stop talking about my TvP? What's your problem? I'm saying that P plays too safe cause of MSC and they're able to expand easily compared to WoL, and you're only replying saying "You have issues with TvP, stop complaining." You have issues with conversing.
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
July 28 2013 02:40 GMT
#409
On July 28 2013 11:30 ::Rhapsody wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 28 2013 11:28 Plansix wrote:
On July 28 2013 11:18 ::Rhapsody wrote:
On July 28 2013 11:10 Plansix wrote:
On July 28 2013 11:07 ::Rhapsody wrote:
On July 28 2013 11:02 Plansix wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:59 Wombat_NI wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:54 Plansix wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:51 Wombat_NI wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:48 Plansix wrote:
[quote]
Sorry, typing on a Ipad. Its not like a protoss could punish a 1 rax FE with 2 gates anyways. The era of building a bunch of marines off of 300 minerals worth of production and walking them across the map to do damage to a protoss fast expand is over. The builds are slightly more complicated that than now.

There was actually some subtlety in such moveouts, occasionally you would see seemingly random hitsquads of marines take really weird routes and hit the Protoss at specific timings, solely with the aim of say, sniping sentries. That mineral-only investment would then force the Protoss player to have to make a calculated decision, replace those lost sentries and sink that gas to be more defensively solid, or cut that defensive corner to push up the tech tree?


The problem I had with that was the terran never had to spend any gas to get this stuff, except maybe on reactors. They would just march their marine hit squad across the map and the protoss would pray they had enough FF to hold out until the production kicked in. And the terran could do this off of no gas and the back of a bunch of mules. I like the new era where the marine is useful, but not the snowball unit of choice for the early game.

I'm not talking about any kind of kill-move, but really specific timings that are designed to punish certain builds. The old WoL CreatorPrime PvT stuck rigidly to 4 sentries as the best balance between defensive solidity, and achieving the tech goals of the overall build schematic. You would see smart players adjusting to target that specific element of the build, which I quite enjoyed seeing.

You could also deny such moveouts with good stalker positioning, and small scale stalker vs naked marine micro battles were some of my favourite aspects of the PvT of old.

The problem I had with that was it was one way. The terran could 1 rax FE back in WoL and there was shit all a protoss could do about it without all inning or dumping a shit ton of gas. But the terran could just build 2 raxes, not take any gasses and march across the map and try to do some damage. Maybe he wouldn't or maybe the protoss would fuck up, their timing would be off and it was game over.

I like this new era where the terran has to invest in some sort of gas, rather than just living off of mules until its time to get upgrades.



But you see.. say I go 1rax reaper fe. Get 1-4 probe kills (usually), or not any. Then I'm forced to either go for another reaper, go for fact. or go for reactor, or go for reactor @50gas and stop mining gas. Then, if the protoss scouts that I'm making a reaper, a stargate follow up is incredibly dangerous for the terran, or if he scouts that I'm going reactor, he can play safely. Terran has to put a bit off pressure simply because of game design.

It's slightly easier to get the terran offguard than cornering the protoss offguard simply because of aoe, and such.
I know this comes all in all into skill level, but it's mostly the Protoss' army design that is so flawed.
Costly units, they don't scale well, colossus is really strong, stalker is super strong early game, and sucks late game.
Protoss units don't have any consistency.

Why are you trying for probe kills with your reaper? You should be using it for scouting and maybe light harassment, rather than trying to get a lead that early. I don't know why you think you should be able to do tons of damage by building a single unit and moving it across map.


The probe kills are for a replacement of what Terran early game harass used to be, scouting #1 priority, the probe kills are an extra, it delays low apm Protoss players. What I'm saying is that it's the only thing to really do damage, are you saying I should just 1 rax FE?

Situation: You are terran, you go 1 rax fe, scout 2 gas. 3 pylons in base. What's coming? Blink? Sentry expo? 4 Gate? Stargate? DTs!? Now here is the scarier part, you scout 2 pylons.
That's why I go reaper.


I don't understand what you are trying to say any more. Reaper openings are fine and get good information, just like stalker openings are good for protoss, but cost more.

Its clear that you have issues with TvP. Rather than complaining, go watch Demuslim beat Huk and Crank from earlier this week and try to figure out how he did it, then try to adjust your play.


We were talking about Balance and David Kim, can you stop talking about my TvP? What's your problem? I'm saying that P plays too safe cause of MSC and they're able to expand easily compared to WoL, and you're only replying saying "You have issues with TvP, stop complaining." You have issues with conversing.

And I pointed out earlier that high level players have recently in games made that opening seem less safe and taken to protoss players. You didn't read that part of the discussion and continued down the line of the MCS makes protoss to safe. And you keep referencing the era of WoL, when terran could 1 rax expand off of no gas and almost no scouting information against protoss. That was not a great era and protoss has really limited builds and just hid in their base in fear not having enough force fields to stop marines walking across the map and killing them.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
::Rhapsody
Profile Blog Joined February 2013
Canada124 Posts
July 28 2013 02:43 GMT
#410
On July 28 2013 11:40 Plansix wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 28 2013 11:30 ::Rhapsody wrote:
On July 28 2013 11:28 Plansix wrote:
On July 28 2013 11:18 ::Rhapsody wrote:
On July 28 2013 11:10 Plansix wrote:
On July 28 2013 11:07 ::Rhapsody wrote:
On July 28 2013 11:02 Plansix wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:59 Wombat_NI wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:54 Plansix wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:51 Wombat_NI wrote:
[quote]
There was actually some subtlety in such moveouts, occasionally you would see seemingly random hitsquads of marines take really weird routes and hit the Protoss at specific timings, solely with the aim of say, sniping sentries. That mineral-only investment would then force the Protoss player to have to make a calculated decision, replace those lost sentries and sink that gas to be more defensively solid, or cut that defensive corner to push up the tech tree?


The problem I had with that was the terran never had to spend any gas to get this stuff, except maybe on reactors. They would just march their marine hit squad across the map and the protoss would pray they had enough FF to hold out until the production kicked in. And the terran could do this off of no gas and the back of a bunch of mules. I like the new era where the marine is useful, but not the snowball unit of choice for the early game.

I'm not talking about any kind of kill-move, but really specific timings that are designed to punish certain builds. The old WoL CreatorPrime PvT stuck rigidly to 4 sentries as the best balance between defensive solidity, and achieving the tech goals of the overall build schematic. You would see smart players adjusting to target that specific element of the build, which I quite enjoyed seeing.

You could also deny such moveouts with good stalker positioning, and small scale stalker vs naked marine micro battles were some of my favourite aspects of the PvT of old.

The problem I had with that was it was one way. The terran could 1 rax FE back in WoL and there was shit all a protoss could do about it without all inning or dumping a shit ton of gas. But the terran could just build 2 raxes, not take any gasses and march across the map and try to do some damage. Maybe he wouldn't or maybe the protoss would fuck up, their timing would be off and it was game over.

I like this new era where the terran has to invest in some sort of gas, rather than just living off of mules until its time to get upgrades.



But you see.. say I go 1rax reaper fe. Get 1-4 probe kills (usually), or not any. Then I'm forced to either go for another reaper, go for fact. or go for reactor, or go for reactor @50gas and stop mining gas. Then, if the protoss scouts that I'm making a reaper, a stargate follow up is incredibly dangerous for the terran, or if he scouts that I'm going reactor, he can play safely. Terran has to put a bit off pressure simply because of game design.

It's slightly easier to get the terran offguard than cornering the protoss offguard simply because of aoe, and such.
I know this comes all in all into skill level, but it's mostly the Protoss' army design that is so flawed.
Costly units, they don't scale well, colossus is really strong, stalker is super strong early game, and sucks late game.
Protoss units don't have any consistency.

Why are you trying for probe kills with your reaper? You should be using it for scouting and maybe light harassment, rather than trying to get a lead that early. I don't know why you think you should be able to do tons of damage by building a single unit and moving it across map.


The probe kills are for a replacement of what Terran early game harass used to be, scouting #1 priority, the probe kills are an extra, it delays low apm Protoss players. What I'm saying is that it's the only thing to really do damage, are you saying I should just 1 rax FE?

Situation: You are terran, you go 1 rax fe, scout 2 gas. 3 pylons in base. What's coming? Blink? Sentry expo? 4 Gate? Stargate? DTs!? Now here is the scarier part, you scout 2 pylons.
That's why I go reaper.


I don't understand what you are trying to say any more. Reaper openings are fine and get good information, just like stalker openings are good for protoss, but cost more.

Its clear that you have issues with TvP. Rather than complaining, go watch Demuslim beat Huk and Crank from earlier this week and try to figure out how he did it, then try to adjust your play.


We were talking about Balance and David Kim, can you stop talking about my TvP? What's your problem? I'm saying that P plays too safe cause of MSC and they're able to expand easily compared to WoL, and you're only replying saying "You have issues with TvP, stop complaining." You have issues with conversing.

And I pointed out earlier that high level players have recently in games made that opening seem less safe and taken to protoss players. You didn't read that part of the discussion and continued down the line of the MCS makes protoss to safe. And you keep referencing the era of WoL, when terran could 1 rax expand off of no gas and almost no scouting information against protoss. That was not a great era and protoss has really limited builds and just hid in their base in fear not having enough force fields to stop marines walking across the map and killing them.


Everyone can agree that WoL is horrid compared to Hots, that doesn't add anything to your conversation. I don't think Protoss being safe was what David Kim intended for it to be. I'm sure DK wanted Protoss to be stronger vs All ins, not early game pressure. It's like the queen buff, yes, terrans adapted, but it did change many things about TvZ in WoL.
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
July 28 2013 02:48 GMT
#411
On July 28 2013 11:43 ::Rhapsody wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 28 2013 11:40 Plansix wrote:
On July 28 2013 11:30 ::Rhapsody wrote:
On July 28 2013 11:28 Plansix wrote:
On July 28 2013 11:18 ::Rhapsody wrote:
On July 28 2013 11:10 Plansix wrote:
On July 28 2013 11:07 ::Rhapsody wrote:
On July 28 2013 11:02 Plansix wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:59 Wombat_NI wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:54 Plansix wrote:
[quote]
The problem I had with that was the terran never had to spend any gas to get this stuff, except maybe on reactors. They would just march their marine hit squad across the map and the protoss would pray they had enough FF to hold out until the production kicked in. And the terran could do this off of no gas and the back of a bunch of mules. I like the new era where the marine is useful, but not the snowball unit of choice for the early game.

I'm not talking about any kind of kill-move, but really specific timings that are designed to punish certain builds. The old WoL CreatorPrime PvT stuck rigidly to 4 sentries as the best balance between defensive solidity, and achieving the tech goals of the overall build schematic. You would see smart players adjusting to target that specific element of the build, which I quite enjoyed seeing.

You could also deny such moveouts with good stalker positioning, and small scale stalker vs naked marine micro battles were some of my favourite aspects of the PvT of old.

The problem I had with that was it was one way. The terran could 1 rax FE back in WoL and there was shit all a protoss could do about it without all inning or dumping a shit ton of gas. But the terran could just build 2 raxes, not take any gasses and march across the map and try to do some damage. Maybe he wouldn't or maybe the protoss would fuck up, their timing would be off and it was game over.

I like this new era where the terran has to invest in some sort of gas, rather than just living off of mules until its time to get upgrades.



But you see.. say I go 1rax reaper fe. Get 1-4 probe kills (usually), or not any. Then I'm forced to either go for another reaper, go for fact. or go for reactor, or go for reactor @50gas and stop mining gas. Then, if the protoss scouts that I'm making a reaper, a stargate follow up is incredibly dangerous for the terran, or if he scouts that I'm going reactor, he can play safely. Terran has to put a bit off pressure simply because of game design.

It's slightly easier to get the terran offguard than cornering the protoss offguard simply because of aoe, and such.
I know this comes all in all into skill level, but it's mostly the Protoss' army design that is so flawed.
Costly units, they don't scale well, colossus is really strong, stalker is super strong early game, and sucks late game.
Protoss units don't have any consistency.

Why are you trying for probe kills with your reaper? You should be using it for scouting and maybe light harassment, rather than trying to get a lead that early. I don't know why you think you should be able to do tons of damage by building a single unit and moving it across map.


The probe kills are for a replacement of what Terran early game harass used to be, scouting #1 priority, the probe kills are an extra, it delays low apm Protoss players. What I'm saying is that it's the only thing to really do damage, are you saying I should just 1 rax FE?

Situation: You are terran, you go 1 rax fe, scout 2 gas. 3 pylons in base. What's coming? Blink? Sentry expo? 4 Gate? Stargate? DTs!? Now here is the scarier part, you scout 2 pylons.
That's why I go reaper.


I don't understand what you are trying to say any more. Reaper openings are fine and get good information, just like stalker openings are good for protoss, but cost more.

Its clear that you have issues with TvP. Rather than complaining, go watch Demuslim beat Huk and Crank from earlier this week and try to figure out how he did it, then try to adjust your play.


We were talking about Balance and David Kim, can you stop talking about my TvP? What's your problem? I'm saying that P plays too safe cause of MSC and they're able to expand easily compared to WoL, and you're only replying saying "You have issues with TvP, stop complaining." You have issues with conversing.

And I pointed out earlier that high level players have recently in games made that opening seem less safe and taken to protoss players. You didn't read that part of the discussion and continued down the line of the MCS makes protoss to safe. And you keep referencing the era of WoL, when terran could 1 rax expand off of no gas and almost no scouting information against protoss. That was not a great era and protoss has really limited builds and just hid in their base in fear not having enough force fields to stop marines walking across the map and killing them.


Everyone can agree that WoL is horrid compared to Hots, that doesn't add anything to your conversation. I don't think Protoss being safe was what David Kim intended for it to be. I'm sure DK wanted Protoss to be stronger vs All ins, not early game pressure. It's like the queen buff, yes, terrans adapted, but it did change many things about TvZ in WoL.

Once again, there are players doing stuff with hellions in the early game that is pretty interesting and has potential. I don't think protoss it to safe at this point and I think DK put the in the nexus cannon to help protoss deal with the early pressure they would die to in WoL. I am sure he intended protoss to be safer, because I remember him saying it. I think the time warp might be a bit much and may need to cost a bit more, or be smaller, but the cannon is fine.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
::Rhapsody
Profile Blog Joined February 2013
Canada124 Posts
July 28 2013 02:53 GMT
#412
On July 28 2013 11:48 Plansix wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 28 2013 11:43 ::Rhapsody wrote:
On July 28 2013 11:40 Plansix wrote:
On July 28 2013 11:30 ::Rhapsody wrote:
On July 28 2013 11:28 Plansix wrote:
On July 28 2013 11:18 ::Rhapsody wrote:
On July 28 2013 11:10 Plansix wrote:
On July 28 2013 11:07 ::Rhapsody wrote:
On July 28 2013 11:02 Plansix wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:59 Wombat_NI wrote:
[quote]
I'm not talking about any kind of kill-move, but really specific timings that are designed to punish certain builds. The old WoL CreatorPrime PvT stuck rigidly to 4 sentries as the best balance between defensive solidity, and achieving the tech goals of the overall build schematic. You would see smart players adjusting to target that specific element of the build, which I quite enjoyed seeing.

You could also deny such moveouts with good stalker positioning, and small scale stalker vs naked marine micro battles were some of my favourite aspects of the PvT of old.

The problem I had with that was it was one way. The terran could 1 rax FE back in WoL and there was shit all a protoss could do about it without all inning or dumping a shit ton of gas. But the terran could just build 2 raxes, not take any gasses and march across the map and try to do some damage. Maybe he wouldn't or maybe the protoss would fuck up, their timing would be off and it was game over.

I like this new era where the terran has to invest in some sort of gas, rather than just living off of mules until its time to get upgrades.



But you see.. say I go 1rax reaper fe. Get 1-4 probe kills (usually), or not any. Then I'm forced to either go for another reaper, go for fact. or go for reactor, or go for reactor @50gas and stop mining gas. Then, if the protoss scouts that I'm making a reaper, a stargate follow up is incredibly dangerous for the terran, or if he scouts that I'm going reactor, he can play safely. Terran has to put a bit off pressure simply because of game design.

It's slightly easier to get the terran offguard than cornering the protoss offguard simply because of aoe, and such.
I know this comes all in all into skill level, but it's mostly the Protoss' army design that is so flawed.
Costly units, they don't scale well, colossus is really strong, stalker is super strong early game, and sucks late game.
Protoss units don't have any consistency.

Why are you trying for probe kills with your reaper? You should be using it for scouting and maybe light harassment, rather than trying to get a lead that early. I don't know why you think you should be able to do tons of damage by building a single unit and moving it across map.


The probe kills are for a replacement of what Terran early game harass used to be, scouting #1 priority, the probe kills are an extra, it delays low apm Protoss players. What I'm saying is that it's the only thing to really do damage, are you saying I should just 1 rax FE?

Situation: You are terran, you go 1 rax fe, scout 2 gas. 3 pylons in base. What's coming? Blink? Sentry expo? 4 Gate? Stargate? DTs!? Now here is the scarier part, you scout 2 pylons.
That's why I go reaper.


I don't understand what you are trying to say any more. Reaper openings are fine and get good information, just like stalker openings are good for protoss, but cost more.

Its clear that you have issues with TvP. Rather than complaining, go watch Demuslim beat Huk and Crank from earlier this week and try to figure out how he did it, then try to adjust your play.


We were talking about Balance and David Kim, can you stop talking about my TvP? What's your problem? I'm saying that P plays too safe cause of MSC and they're able to expand easily compared to WoL, and you're only replying saying "You have issues with TvP, stop complaining." You have issues with conversing.

And I pointed out earlier that high level players have recently in games made that opening seem less safe and taken to protoss players. You didn't read that part of the discussion and continued down the line of the MCS makes protoss to safe. And you keep referencing the era of WoL, when terran could 1 rax expand off of no gas and almost no scouting information against protoss. That was not a great era and protoss has really limited builds and just hid in their base in fear not having enough force fields to stop marines walking across the map and killing them.


Everyone can agree that WoL is horrid compared to Hots, that doesn't add anything to your conversation. I don't think Protoss being safe was what David Kim intended for it to be. I'm sure DK wanted Protoss to be stronger vs All ins, not early game pressure. It's like the queen buff, yes, terrans adapted, but it did change many things about TvZ in WoL.

Once again, there are players doing stuff with hellions in the early game that is pretty interesting and has potential. I don't think protoss it to safe at this point and I think DK put the in the nexus cannon to help protoss deal with the early pressure they would die to in WoL. I am sure he intended protoss to be safer, because I remember him saying it. I think the time warp might be a bit much and may need to cost a bit more, or be smaller, but the cannon is fine.


I don't want to argue with you anymore. I oppose, time warp is good, although it reduces micro potential, it strengthens Protoss during mid-game engagements, crucial. The Nexus cannon is overkill. I'm not gonna reply to your comments anymore, feels like I'm talking to a wall that plays Protoss.
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
July 28 2013 02:56 GMT
#413
On July 28 2013 11:53 ::Rhapsody wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 28 2013 11:48 Plansix wrote:
On July 28 2013 11:43 ::Rhapsody wrote:
On July 28 2013 11:40 Plansix wrote:
On July 28 2013 11:30 ::Rhapsody wrote:
On July 28 2013 11:28 Plansix wrote:
On July 28 2013 11:18 ::Rhapsody wrote:
On July 28 2013 11:10 Plansix wrote:
On July 28 2013 11:07 ::Rhapsody wrote:
On July 28 2013 11:02 Plansix wrote:
[quote]
The problem I had with that was it was one way. The terran could 1 rax FE back in WoL and there was shit all a protoss could do about it without all inning or dumping a shit ton of gas. But the terran could just build 2 raxes, not take any gasses and march across the map and try to do some damage. Maybe he wouldn't or maybe the protoss would fuck up, their timing would be off and it was game over.

I like this new era where the terran has to invest in some sort of gas, rather than just living off of mules until its time to get upgrades.



But you see.. say I go 1rax reaper fe. Get 1-4 probe kills (usually), or not any. Then I'm forced to either go for another reaper, go for fact. or go for reactor, or go for reactor @50gas and stop mining gas. Then, if the protoss scouts that I'm making a reaper, a stargate follow up is incredibly dangerous for the terran, or if he scouts that I'm going reactor, he can play safely. Terran has to put a bit off pressure simply because of game design.

It's slightly easier to get the terran offguard than cornering the protoss offguard simply because of aoe, and such.
I know this comes all in all into skill level, but it's mostly the Protoss' army design that is so flawed.
Costly units, they don't scale well, colossus is really strong, stalker is super strong early game, and sucks late game.
Protoss units don't have any consistency.

Why are you trying for probe kills with your reaper? You should be using it for scouting and maybe light harassment, rather than trying to get a lead that early. I don't know why you think you should be able to do tons of damage by building a single unit and moving it across map.


The probe kills are for a replacement of what Terran early game harass used to be, scouting #1 priority, the probe kills are an extra, it delays low apm Protoss players. What I'm saying is that it's the only thing to really do damage, are you saying I should just 1 rax FE?

Situation: You are terran, you go 1 rax fe, scout 2 gas. 3 pylons in base. What's coming? Blink? Sentry expo? 4 Gate? Stargate? DTs!? Now here is the scarier part, you scout 2 pylons.
That's why I go reaper.


I don't understand what you are trying to say any more. Reaper openings are fine and get good information, just like stalker openings are good for protoss, but cost more.

Its clear that you have issues with TvP. Rather than complaining, go watch Demuslim beat Huk and Crank from earlier this week and try to figure out how he did it, then try to adjust your play.


We were talking about Balance and David Kim, can you stop talking about my TvP? What's your problem? I'm saying that P plays too safe cause of MSC and they're able to expand easily compared to WoL, and you're only replying saying "You have issues with TvP, stop complaining." You have issues with conversing.

And I pointed out earlier that high level players have recently in games made that opening seem less safe and taken to protoss players. You didn't read that part of the discussion and continued down the line of the MCS makes protoss to safe. And you keep referencing the era of WoL, when terran could 1 rax expand off of no gas and almost no scouting information against protoss. That was not a great era and protoss has really limited builds and just hid in their base in fear not having enough force fields to stop marines walking across the map and killing them.


Everyone can agree that WoL is horrid compared to Hots, that doesn't add anything to your conversation. I don't think Protoss being safe was what David Kim intended for it to be. I'm sure DK wanted Protoss to be stronger vs All ins, not early game pressure. It's like the queen buff, yes, terrans adapted, but it did change many things about TvZ in WoL.

Once again, there are players doing stuff with hellions in the early game that is pretty interesting and has potential. I don't think protoss it to safe at this point and I think DK put the in the nexus cannon to help protoss deal with the early pressure they would die to in WoL. I am sure he intended protoss to be safer, because I remember him saying it. I think the time warp might be a bit much and may need to cost a bit more, or be smaller, but the cannon is fine.


I don't want to argue with you anymore. I oppose, time warp is good, although it reduces micro potential, it strengthens Protoss during mid-game engagements, crucial. The Nexus cannon is overkill. I'm not gonna reply to your comments anymore, feels like I'm talking to a wall that plays Protoss.

Yeah, well its clear we were going to disagree. You want the nexus cannon removed so you can be super aggressive and protoss has to dump gas into sentries to feel safe. I remember the days when I didn't have it and don't want to go back to those because they sucked.. I mean, if they removed the bunker from the game, I would be all for it, then we could all be aggressive together. But I don't think terrans would go for that.

And you should watch the games with Demuslim, me makes from this week. He makes hellions look pretty scary, even with the nexus cannon.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27463 Posts
July 28 2013 03:02 GMT
#414
From my perspective it's not that the Nexus Cannon is too powerful, but that it's not really a choice to have it available for the most part. Most builds get a Mothership core and it often has the requisite energy, there's less of a decision-making process going on.
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
dohgg
Profile Joined February 2011
310 Posts
July 28 2013 03:06 GMT
#415
On July 28 2013 11:56 Plansix wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 28 2013 11:53 ::Rhapsody wrote:
On July 28 2013 11:48 Plansix wrote:
On July 28 2013 11:43 ::Rhapsody wrote:
On July 28 2013 11:40 Plansix wrote:
On July 28 2013 11:30 ::Rhapsody wrote:
On July 28 2013 11:28 Plansix wrote:
On July 28 2013 11:18 ::Rhapsody wrote:
On July 28 2013 11:10 Plansix wrote:
On July 28 2013 11:07 ::Rhapsody wrote:
[quote]


But you see.. say I go 1rax reaper fe. Get 1-4 probe kills (usually), or not any. Then I'm forced to either go for another reaper, go for fact. or go for reactor, or go for reactor @50gas and stop mining gas. Then, if the protoss scouts that I'm making a reaper, a stargate follow up is incredibly dangerous for the terran, or if he scouts that I'm going reactor, he can play safely. Terran has to put a bit off pressure simply because of game design.

It's slightly easier to get the terran offguard than cornering the protoss offguard simply because of aoe, and such.
I know this comes all in all into skill level, but it's mostly the Protoss' army design that is so flawed.
Costly units, they don't scale well, colossus is really strong, stalker is super strong early game, and sucks late game.
Protoss units don't have any consistency.

Why are you trying for probe kills with your reaper? You should be using it for scouting and maybe light harassment, rather than trying to get a lead that early. I don't know why you think you should be able to do tons of damage by building a single unit and moving it across map.


The probe kills are for a replacement of what Terran early game harass used to be, scouting #1 priority, the probe kills are an extra, it delays low apm Protoss players. What I'm saying is that it's the only thing to really do damage, are you saying I should just 1 rax FE?

Situation: You are terran, you go 1 rax fe, scout 2 gas. 3 pylons in base. What's coming? Blink? Sentry expo? 4 Gate? Stargate? DTs!? Now here is the scarier part, you scout 2 pylons.
That's why I go reaper.


I don't understand what you are trying to say any more. Reaper openings are fine and get good information, just like stalker openings are good for protoss, but cost more.

Its clear that you have issues with TvP. Rather than complaining, go watch Demuslim beat Huk and Crank from earlier this week and try to figure out how he did it, then try to adjust your play.


We were talking about Balance and David Kim, can you stop talking about my TvP? What's your problem? I'm saying that P plays too safe cause of MSC and they're able to expand easily compared to WoL, and you're only replying saying "You have issues with TvP, stop complaining." You have issues with conversing.

And I pointed out earlier that high level players have recently in games made that opening seem less safe and taken to protoss players. You didn't read that part of the discussion and continued down the line of the MCS makes protoss to safe. And you keep referencing the era of WoL, when terran could 1 rax expand off of no gas and almost no scouting information against protoss. That was not a great era and protoss has really limited builds and just hid in their base in fear not having enough force fields to stop marines walking across the map and killing them.


Everyone can agree that WoL is horrid compared to Hots, that doesn't add anything to your conversation. I don't think Protoss being safe was what David Kim intended for it to be. I'm sure DK wanted Protoss to be stronger vs All ins, not early game pressure. It's like the queen buff, yes, terrans adapted, but it did change many things about TvZ in WoL.

Once again, there are players doing stuff with hellions in the early game that is pretty interesting and has potential. I don't think protoss it to safe at this point and I think DK put the in the nexus cannon to help protoss deal with the early pressure they would die to in WoL. I am sure he intended protoss to be safer, because I remember him saying it. I think the time warp might be a bit much and may need to cost a bit more, or be smaller, but the cannon is fine.


I don't want to argue with you anymore. I oppose, time warp is good, although it reduces micro potential, it strengthens Protoss during mid-game engagements, crucial. The Nexus cannon is overkill. I'm not gonna reply to your comments anymore, feels like I'm talking to a wall that plays Protoss.

Yeah, well its clear we were going to disagree. You want the nexus cannon removed so you can be super aggressive and protoss has to dump gas into sentries to feel safe. I remember the days when I didn't have it and don't want to go back to those because they sucked.. I mean, if they removed the bunker from the game, I would be all for it, then we could all be aggressive together. But I don't think terrans would go for that.

And you should watch the games with Demuslim, me makes from this week. He makes hellions look pretty scary, even with the nexus cannon.


Nexus cannons were mostly for improving pvp, letting it be actually a matchup which you can expand in it.

You seriosuly compare it to a bunker? lol... Please dont force me to list defensive comparisons.

there is a serious problem for terrans in aggression capability vs toss nowdays, and its a fact. in WOL a toss playing greedy was a BO risk, now - its a super standard build...
::Rhapsody
Profile Blog Joined February 2013
Canada124 Posts
July 28 2013 03:07 GMT
#416
On July 28 2013 12:02 Wombat_NI wrote:
From my perspective it's not that the Nexus Cannon is too powerful, but that it's not really a choice to have it available for the most part. Most builds get a Mothership core and it often has the requisite energy, there's less of a decision-making process going on.


What I meant ^. I'm in your debt again.
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-07-28 03:10:43
July 28 2013 03:07 GMT
#417
On July 28 2013 12:02 Wombat_NI wrote:
From my perspective it's not that the Nexus Cannon is too powerful, but that it's not really a choice to have it available for the most part. Most builds get a Mothership core and it often has the requisite energy, there's less of a decision-making process going on.

Eh, the previous decision was "Yo, I need a lot of sentries and I can't be aggressive with those, how many should I build?". It was pretty dull and only focused around how greedy the protss wanted to be in their macro build. It is one step above "how many cannons" do I build in levels of interesting. I am ok with it getting toned down, but once again, those hellion builds Demuslim did seemed to have potential to not give a shit about the cannon(or to do damage well before it killed them)
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27463 Posts
July 28 2013 03:11 GMT
#418
You chose to build sentries or cannons, you generally have a MSC (for the most part). I find the MSC (somewhat) analogous to the Queen, you get the Queen for creep spready goodness and injects, you can't really play Zerg without those, especially the latter. When the Queen gives you additional defensive utility against a lot of other things, without you having to engage your brain or make reads, just not generally a fan of that kind of thing.

I had high hopes for the MSC as an interesting macro/auxilliary unit, with a tradeoff of some kind. I mean it initially could give your defensive units extra energy, which is handy for templar/sentries. If you did this however, you didn't have your cannon. Those kind of cost/benefit decisions
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
H0i
Profile Joined October 2010
Netherlands484 Posts
July 28 2013 03:17 GMT
#419
On July 28 2013 11:21 ::Rhapsody wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 28 2013 11:20 Sated wrote:
On July 28 2013 11:18 ::Rhapsody wrote:
On July 28 2013 11:10 Plansix wrote:
On July 28 2013 11:07 ::Rhapsody wrote:
On July 28 2013 11:02 Plansix wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:59 Wombat_NI wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:54 Plansix wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:51 Wombat_NI wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:48 Plansix wrote:
[quote]
Sorry, typing on a Ipad. Its not like a protoss could punish a 1 rax FE with 2 gates anyways. The era of building a bunch of marines off of 300 minerals worth of production and walking them across the map to do damage to a protoss fast expand is over. The builds are slightly more complicated that than now.

There was actually some subtlety in such moveouts, occasionally you would see seemingly random hitsquads of marines take really weird routes and hit the Protoss at specific timings, solely with the aim of say, sniping sentries. That mineral-only investment would then force the Protoss player to have to make a calculated decision, replace those lost sentries and sink that gas to be more defensively solid, or cut that defensive corner to push up the tech tree?


The problem I had with that was the terran never had to spend any gas to get this stuff, except maybe on reactors. They would just march their marine hit squad across the map and the protoss would pray they had enough FF to hold out until the production kicked in. And the terran could do this off of no gas and the back of a bunch of mules. I like the new era where the marine is useful, but not the snowball unit of choice for the early game.

I'm not talking about any kind of kill-move, but really specific timings that are designed to punish certain builds. The old WoL CreatorPrime PvT stuck rigidly to 4 sentries as the best balance between defensive solidity, and achieving the tech goals of the overall build schematic. You would see smart players adjusting to target that specific element of the build, which I quite enjoyed seeing.

You could also deny such moveouts with good stalker positioning, and small scale stalker vs naked marine micro battles were some of my favourite aspects of the PvT of old.

The problem I had with that was it was one way. The terran could 1 rax FE back in WoL and there was shit all a protoss could do about it without all inning or dumping a shit ton of gas. But the terran could just build 2 raxes, not take any gasses and march across the map and try to do some damage. Maybe he wouldn't or maybe the protoss would fuck up, their timing would be off and it was game over.

I like this new era where the terran has to invest in some sort of gas, rather than just living off of mules until its time to get upgrades.



But you see.. say I go 1rax reaper fe. Get 1-4 probe kills (usually), or not any. Then I'm forced to either go for another reaper, go for fact. or go for reactor, or go for reactor @50gas and stop mining gas. Then, if the protoss scouts that I'm making a reaper, a stargate follow up is incredibly dangerous for the terran, or if he scouts that I'm going reactor, he can play safely. Terran has to put a bit off pressure simply because of game design.

It's slightly easier to get the terran offguard than cornering the protoss offguard simply because of aoe, and such.
I know this comes all in all into skill level, but it's mostly the Protoss' army design that is so flawed.
Costly units, they don't scale well, colossus is really strong, stalker is super strong early game, and sucks late game.
Protoss units don't have any consistency.

Why are you trying for probe kills with your reaper? You should be using it for scouting and maybe light harassment, rather than trying to get a lead that early. I don't know why you think you should be able to do tons of damage by building a single unit and moving it across map.


The probe kills are for a replacement of what Terran early game harass used to be, scouting #1 priority, the probe kills are an extra, it delays low apm Protoss players. What I'm saying is that it's the only thing to really do damage, are you saying I should just 1 rax FE?

Situation: You are terran, you go 1 rax fe, scout 2 gas. 3 pylons in base. What's coming? Blink? Sentry expo? 4 Gate? Stargate? DTs!? Now here is the scarier part, you scout 2 pylons.
That's why I go reaper.


All Protoss one base all-ins can be defended by lifting your expansion and defending from one base. You don't need to scout gas, nor Pylons, you only need to know whether or not there is an expansion by 6:00.



ALL Protoss all ins? Are you saying I should never scout? only check if there's an expansion?
Ok. Tell me what I should do if I see no expo at 6:00. What to expect.


This is why "scan timings" are a thing amongst terran players. Scan the protoss around 7, maybe 7:30. And no, not just if he plays 1 base. But always unless you already have an idea of what he's doing. You will get enough info to act accordingly. Also scout the map with one or two units for proxy pylons or stargates if you see he's one basing (and you're expanding).

Just knowing that he's up to something should put you in a more defensive position already. Maybe get an engineering bay, at least save a scan or two, keep enough marines to kill an oracle in your mineral line, keep your ramp walled and scout ahead of your ramp, so if something is coming, you can move those marines.

And note I am assuming you're doing something like a 1 rax fe in this case. If you're doing a 1 base play yourself, keep executing it and try to trade at least evenly with your attack. Trying to defend is good too in this case, but not if you lose your potential for doing damage. Also, understand you are not meant to defend literally every attack. Taking damage, sometimes a lot of damage or just losing, is normal.
::Rhapsody
Profile Blog Joined February 2013
Canada124 Posts
July 28 2013 03:19 GMT
#420
On July 28 2013 12:17 H0i wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 28 2013 11:21 ::Rhapsody wrote:
On July 28 2013 11:20 Sated wrote:
On July 28 2013 11:18 ::Rhapsody wrote:
On July 28 2013 11:10 Plansix wrote:
On July 28 2013 11:07 ::Rhapsody wrote:
On July 28 2013 11:02 Plansix wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:59 Wombat_NI wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:54 Plansix wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:51 Wombat_NI wrote:
[quote]
There was actually some subtlety in such moveouts, occasionally you would see seemingly random hitsquads of marines take really weird routes and hit the Protoss at specific timings, solely with the aim of say, sniping sentries. That mineral-only investment would then force the Protoss player to have to make a calculated decision, replace those lost sentries and sink that gas to be more defensively solid, or cut that defensive corner to push up the tech tree?


The problem I had with that was the terran never had to spend any gas to get this stuff, except maybe on reactors. They would just march their marine hit squad across the map and the protoss would pray they had enough FF to hold out until the production kicked in. And the terran could do this off of no gas and the back of a bunch of mules. I like the new era where the marine is useful, but not the snowball unit of choice for the early game.

I'm not talking about any kind of kill-move, but really specific timings that are designed to punish certain builds. The old WoL CreatorPrime PvT stuck rigidly to 4 sentries as the best balance between defensive solidity, and achieving the tech goals of the overall build schematic. You would see smart players adjusting to target that specific element of the build, which I quite enjoyed seeing.

You could also deny such moveouts with good stalker positioning, and small scale stalker vs naked marine micro battles were some of my favourite aspects of the PvT of old.

The problem I had with that was it was one way. The terran could 1 rax FE back in WoL and there was shit all a protoss could do about it without all inning or dumping a shit ton of gas. But the terran could just build 2 raxes, not take any gasses and march across the map and try to do some damage. Maybe he wouldn't or maybe the protoss would fuck up, their timing would be off and it was game over.

I like this new era where the terran has to invest in some sort of gas, rather than just living off of mules until its time to get upgrades.



But you see.. say I go 1rax reaper fe. Get 1-4 probe kills (usually), or not any. Then I'm forced to either go for another reaper, go for fact. or go for reactor, or go for reactor @50gas and stop mining gas. Then, if the protoss scouts that I'm making a reaper, a stargate follow up is incredibly dangerous for the terran, or if he scouts that I'm going reactor, he can play safely. Terran has to put a bit off pressure simply because of game design.

It's slightly easier to get the terran offguard than cornering the protoss offguard simply because of aoe, and such.
I know this comes all in all into skill level, but it's mostly the Protoss' army design that is so flawed.
Costly units, they don't scale well, colossus is really strong, stalker is super strong early game, and sucks late game.
Protoss units don't have any consistency.

Why are you trying for probe kills with your reaper? You should be using it for scouting and maybe light harassment, rather than trying to get a lead that early. I don't know why you think you should be able to do tons of damage by building a single unit and moving it across map.


The probe kills are for a replacement of what Terran early game harass used to be, scouting #1 priority, the probe kills are an extra, it delays low apm Protoss players. What I'm saying is that it's the only thing to really do damage, are you saying I should just 1 rax FE?

Situation: You are terran, you go 1 rax fe, scout 2 gas. 3 pylons in base. What's coming? Blink? Sentry expo? 4 Gate? Stargate? DTs!? Now here is the scarier part, you scout 2 pylons.
That's why I go reaper.


All Protoss one base all-ins can be defended by lifting your expansion and defending from one base. You don't need to scout gas, nor Pylons, you only need to know whether or not there is an expansion by 6:00.



ALL Protoss all ins? Are you saying I should never scout? only check if there's an expansion?
Ok. Tell me what I should do if I see no expo at 6:00. What to expect.


This is why "scan timings" are a thing amongst terran players. Scan the protoss around 7, maybe 7:30. And no, not just if he plays 1 base. But always unless you already have an idea of what he's doing. You will get enough info to act accordingly. Also scout the map with one or two units for proxy pylons or stargates if you see he's one basing (and you're expanding).

Just knowing that he's up to something should put you in a more defensive position already. Maybe get an engineering bay, at least save a scan or two, keep enough marines to kill an oracle in your mineral line, keep your ramp walled and scout ahead of your ramp, so if something is coming, you can move those marines.

And note I am assuming you're doing something like a 1 rax fe in this case. If you're doing a 1 base play yourself, keep executing it and try to trade at least evenly with your attack. Trying to defend is good too in this case, but not if you lose your potential for doing damage. Also, understand you are not meant to defend literally every attack. Taking damage, sometimes a lot of damage or just losing, is normal.



Exactly. He said I can survive any all in even if I don't scout it as long as I know it's coming. Which is bullshit. All ins range from 4G, 3Grobo Bunker bust all in, Stargate Vr + Gateway units all in, Oracle + gateway units all in. And he's telling me, I can hold EVERY single type of all in ,as long as I know that an all in is coming. Thanks for agreeing with me.
Prev 1 19 20 21 22 23 30 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 13h 36m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nina 105
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 15155
Calm 2165
Mini 166
Rush 107
EffOrt 102
Trap 22
scan(afreeca) 17
Bale 13
Dota 2
febbydoto21
LuMiX1
Counter-Strike
fl0m3253
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King39
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4087
Liquid`Hasu637
Other Games
Liquid`RaSZi1979
Beastyqt814
B2W.Neo568
RotterdaM480
shahzam415
C9.Mang0290
IndyStarCraft 185
ToD149
Trikslyr96
Dewaltoss67
UpATreeSC60
ZombieGrub34
JuggernautJason21
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream29
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• musti20045 9
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• 80smullet 27
• Michael_bg 8
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• TFBlade1144
Other Games
• imaqtpie1041
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
13h 36m
INu's Battles
14h 36m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
16h 36m
OSC
1d 1h
Replay Cast
1d 2h
OSC
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
Patches Events
3 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.